US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

arnoldd1

I found this site and thought it might be a good way to get feedback from other writers. (in 60 reviews)

adanl

So if you write a poem and share it on FanStory.com you will get feedback from other writers. (in 59 reviews)

janel166

There are many, many writing contests that I can enter that have cash prizes. (in 7 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

nicholasy2
3/25/16

I just joined fanstory its very cool and exciting for me

janel166
3/13/16

My writing has improved greatly since I joined. Everything I post (I share poetry and book chapters) gets feedback. When I post my writing I get feedback very quickly. Usually the feedback is detailed and helpful. There are many, many writing contests that I can enter that have cash prizes. Highly recommended.

Tip for consumers: If you write reviews you'll get fans. Fans will generally write reviews on your writing (they are notified every time you post).

vances14
11/1/15

Your writing gets generally fair reviews by other writers. There is an opportunity to gain deep learning and skills in poetry. The costs are not unfair and controlled by you. Tom, the owner has always been helpful, reasonable, and fair in my dealings over four years. I have been able to learn as well as teach and share with others which I find to be an honorable and positive undertaking. I cannot in any way understand some of the horrible reviews I've read here by others! I can only guess their expectations were way out of touch with reality!

markc130
8/31/15

My experience over the past two years with Fanstory has been a very positive learning experience. I connected with a great community of writers and have learned how to write poetry, short stories and even books.

scottl63
7/3/15

This site gave me the help that I needed to become a better writer. The opinions of authors through their reviews are a great help. I enjoy the writing contests. There are so many contests with different challenges! The members become aides to help me improve my writing skills. Highly recommended.

taylorm62
4/11/15

I heartily nominate FanStory as the most helpful website for writers. It truly delivers what it promises. Not only is it a forum in which your poetry, stories and essays are reviewed by other aspiring writers (I had 80 reviews of my latest poem!), but you can develop your skills by reading other members' works, as well. There are also contests to enter, daily, with generous payouts.

karens89
1/24/15

Like so many of the writers and reviewers here, I have found this writing community to be a great source of encouragement. The reviewers have exhibited honest and caring interest in helping me to improve my writing skills.

samt38
1/22/15

This is a great place to write and to express yourself through writing. It is also a good place for support and to learn how to become a better writer. The reviewers are terrific! Without these reviews, we cannot learn from our mistakes and improve. Fan story has a lot to offer. The feedback is just the start. The contests are fun. The daily challenges keep you active.

abelaf
1/20/15

Just in the short time I've been here, I've learned so much. I learn from every review - good or bad . You can always learn, always improve, and always get better. This site offers you that opportunity. I am just getting started as a writer and am finding it very helpful. There are experienced authors looking to give that help.

dorothys17
1/19/15

I am a "fan". If you enjoy writing poetry, stories or are working on a book this is an excellent site for you. I've always felt something deep within me to write. I was embarrassed to reveal it. Because of my experience here that has changed. I've overcome my fears. The feedback I have received has been very positive. There are things I need to work on and the reviewers (many published authors) have shown me where I can improve my writing.

zachm2
1/19/15

For me the best part of the site is the feedback I receive. It's often quite helpful. I tried other sites before finding this one and I found the reviews at other sites pretty useless (often one or two words). Here I get detailed help that is greatly appreciated. The contests (there are new ones every day) are fun. They challenge me to try new things (I never wrote poetry before I came here). I'm becoming a getter writer thanks to the experience I receive here.

sandys43
1/19/15

I just wanted to say that I think this site is wonderful. I have met so many truly talented and friendly people on here and the works they all share are terrific, especially the comments they all leave. The feedback I receive are often inspiring and supportive. I'm glad I joined. I recommend it to anyone that is interesting in sharing what they write.

jeffb102
1/13/15

A complete and total joke. I have to think that the ballot box was stuffed considering all the favorable reviews (C'mon, 5 stars that often??) As others have stated, it is not cost effective to belong to this site if you want constructive feedback....way too expensive.

By the way, I signed up -- and paid for -- for two years (as it was cheaper). When I reached my one year anniversary, Fanstory told me it was time to renew my membership. When I told them I had paid for two years (check their records) good old Tom basically told me to "prove it." Can you imagine that...they supposedly DON'T have the records of member transactions??? I think it was simply a ploy to get me to pay again, if I couldn't provide proof that I had indeed paid for two years. I was able to prove I had paid for the second year, which really didn't matter at that point because I told them what they could do with their con-game disguised as a writing site.

There are many sites far more worthy of your hard earned dollars (and they will require far less of them too). Try writing.com, scribophile, and others. Just stay away from Fanstory. Your best interests are the LAST thing on their collective little minds!

barryj13
1/13/15

I recommend Fanstory. I'm so glad I made the decision to join, for if I hadn't, I would have never experienced such friendship, encouragement and helpful criticism. There are some great authors on FanStory, and it has been pleasure to read their work. I have learned a lot from the feedback I received from them too!

kathr140
1/13/15

I just have to say that this site has really been a wonderful blessing to me. I've gotten some great feedback and found other writers to "talk" with. It's easy to use. The contests are challenging. I like that there are new contests every day. I am so thankful that I found it. I've been out of writing for a very long time and this site has motivated me.

bevc5
1/12/15

I have been a member of Fanstory for just over a year. I recommend it because by sharing my work here I have improved my writing. It's important to receive unbiased feedback and suggestions. Through both posting and reviewing the work of others, I've learned what works and what doesn't.

josephc54
1/12/15

I owe a lot to FanStory.com. FanStory.com made me a better writer. When I first joined this site I didn't fully understand how to write a good poem. However, through reviews I learned more about what poetry is all about and really worked hard to improve. Had it not been for FanStory.com and the wonderful people I have met on this site, I would have not have improved. I would have never been able to create something that a publication company would actually want to put into print.

anthonys77
12/22/14

I was a member of FanStory for 3 years and have now joined the All Poetry website.
I found FanStory to be filled with cronyism and vote buying. They repeat the same contests over and over again, and the same people keep winning all the time.The reviews are carried out on a very friendly basis and you seldom find any constructive criticism that is really helpful. I won 16 contests during my time at Fanstory, all of which were blind i.e no one knows whose poem is being displayed, but as soon as the poets names were displayed against their poems I did not receive one single vote in 3 years. Numerous poems thar came last in FanStory have won gold medals in All Poetry, which is free to join and all postings are free. They also have a far greater variety of contests to choose from and I have earned over 600 awards in a little over 1 year..

amaret
11/18/14

I'm so glad I found Fanstory. When I discovered this site, I was looking for contests where I could enter my writing. This site offers all kinds of interesting contests every month. So I became a member, entered a few and won some too! But that's not all I found here. The writers that participate on this site are fantastic. I have received good feedback and support from so many reviewers that have given me confidence. Most importantly, I've met lots of wonderful people from all around the world and read some great stories and poems that I may never have heard if I hadn't joined this awesome site.

micheller37
10/15/14

I stumbled onto this site last April. I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did! It has helped me improve my writing. The talent of writers and poets on the site is absolutely amazing! I've learned of the different forms and type of poetry that you can write (usually because I was challenged in a contest). This is truly a great place to share with like-minded people and I've made some wonderful friends! Such sharing is also nice because we can each other in our prayers.

randyg14
9/2/14

If you write poetry, stories or are working on a book Fanstory is a terrific resource. You get feedback for everything you write. I'm working on a book and after I complete a chapter I can't wait to post it on fan story. My last chapter got 55 reviews! Many of the reviews offer suggestions I on how I can improve it. I'm also developing a fan base which I plan to tap into when I publish my book. Highly recommended!

jasonm107
8/11/14

I think Fanstory is a terrific website. I highly recommend it. You can enter writing contests and you can post your writing for feedback. The feedback has helped me. Reviewers read my work and provide suggestions on how it can improve. I also write poetry and enjoy sharing my poetry with others. What's great is everything you post gets feedback. I don't know how they do it but it's a great website for writers.

trs
7/17/14

Many published writers have used Fanstory. So I joined to see if the reviewers could help me. I'm glad I joined. I have met so many truly talented and wonderful people. There are so many writers that are willing to take the time to offer support when I post something. Since I joined I've become a fan of over 25 writers. I look forward to the notifications I receive when they post. It's great to post my writing and read the comments they all leave. They are encouraging, supportive and uplifting. This is a wonderful avenue for people to share their writing, to learn, and to grow.

brians98
4/21/14

I highly recommend Fanstory to anyone that is looking to share poetry, stories or that is working on a book. I joined several years ago when looking for a place to share my poems. I was very nervous about sharing them! What did I know about poetry? But I was very pleased with the response I received. It encouraged me to write more and I did. I am now a published author! I have the reviewers at Fanstory to thank for that.

mattj28
4/21/14

I recommend fanstory to anyone that is looking to share their writing and enter writing contests. The feedback I receive for my writing is very helpful. The reviewers really seem to be interested in helping me improve. The reviews are usually detailed and helpful. There are over 50 writing contests that you can enter every month. I like the contests not just because of the prizes but because it gives me new ideas of what to write about. Great site for writers or someone looking to become a better writer!

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FanStory staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
11/22/15
Answer
petrat2
A: As far as I can gather as I was there ten (10) minutes ago where I was offered the chance to enter a free poetry contest if I updated my mebership - for a fee of course. Anybody who believes this is a place where a writer can improve himself is living in a dream world and deserves to be fleeced by these gangsters. As they say: There is one born every minute.
2/2/16
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
7/26/15
Answer
jeffb102
A: My guess is that you'll have a much better chance for a response if you ask that question on the site itself!
7/26/15