Review of FanStory

FanStory reviews

terrid31
7/23/17

This is a unique writing community. I get feedback for everything I write here. As soon as I post something I start checking for reviews. Usually in 15 minutes or so I get a couple of reviews. Like some sites, I don't have to write reviews to get reviews. But I do enjoy writing reviews (once I got past that fear factor) and by doing so I am rewarded with the option to get more feedback. The feedback I receive has gone a long way in helping me improve my writing. I'm primarily a poet but I have been encouraged (by my greedy desire to win a contest) to try other forms including horror writing. There are so many contests to enter with new ones announced every day. The daily writing prompts (which aren't just prompts but contests) are interesting as well because they give you a daily challenge. One of the features I like are the rankings. When you write something it impacts your rank. I'm ranked as a poet and a short story writer. That rank goes up (or down) based on how your writing is received. This is a fun feature. If you are a top five writer you even get a trophy (a real one, they mail it to you). Really fun site with plenty of opportunity to improve.

peggyj16
7/21/17

I joined for the contests. They are fun and give me the opportunity to try new things. I haven't won yet but my writing is improving thanks the feedback I receive from other writers. So perhaps one day! The site is easy to use and when I have questions I usually hear back pretty quickly. The other members on the site (that give me feedback) are usually very kind and helpful. This is a fun site but also everyone seems serious about improving as a writer. There are even published authors on the site that participate and give me feedback. There is also a fan base system in place as you get fans (and become a fan) you'll find your popularity grows and you get more feedback - and also will improve in the rankings. It's kinda like a game that helps keep it interesting (and keeps me motivated to write more).

melissas214
7/21/17

Based on many years experience in literary criticism and several years on Fanstory, I believe that most writers on this site believe in its fundamental literary purpose. The vast majority seek honest reviews to enable them to progress to the next level with their writing.

To be generous, your piece lacks literary qualities that might otherwise commend it. It is not original, it is not creative literary art--it is your rambling prayer, lacking lyricism, personification, metaphorical reference, alliteration, et. al.

There are many sites available to accommodate those who wish merely to drone on about political or religious beliefs. Click on them, and rant, as you please.

This is a literary site. Most writers here earnestly want constructive literary reviews. Perhaps you should consider another venue for your "work."

jdb4
7/19/17

Writers, be adivised to avoid this site. It is nothing more than a cash cow for the site owners.

On Fanstory, the underlying business model is quantity, not quality. The more money you spend on Fanstory the more reviews you receive. And the more reviews you write the more money you receive. Everyone on Fanstory receives accolades for their writing and wonderful short reviews based on the amount of money you spend. Reviews are short and without substance because the reviewer needs to move on and review several more works in order to earn more money. This system is profitable for the site owners. And it offers no help to aspiring writers.

There are many sites that offer support to aspiring writers such as Long Story Short.
Fanstory is a dead end for aspiring writers/

T

michaelk236
7/18/17

There's no doubt in my mind that in the years since I've joined Fanstory, my writing has grown by leaps and bounds. The people on the site are very giving and helpful to fledgling writers and I've made several friends there. I've also learned how to accept criticism without getting offended and use it for the better of my story. The contests are many and varied. I've also learned to become a better reviewer through my time on Fanstory. The administrator has been extremely helpful and answers every question. The downside to Fanstory is the people who think it's a fast track to publication and try to trash others work instead of giving helpful criticism.
The bottom line is if you're a new writer, the good people on Fanstory can teach you a lot if you're willing to listen.
I know they helped me.

marcuss56
7/17/17

A fun site to share poetry, stories and even a book. Contests are fun and I enjoy the competition. The best part though are the wonderful people. Always a friendly review offering help and support.

loism37
7/17/17

This is a good place to share your writing, improve your skills, and grow. When I joined I found a dedicated group of writers in various stages offering friendship and encouragement to me - the newbie. During my time here, I have seen many inexperienced writers grow and improve with the help of the more experienced writers. The contests offer a challenge and encourage me to try different forms of writing. I never thought I would write a sonnet! The rankings encourage me to keep writing and strive to only post polished writing that will be well received by reviewers. If you are new to writing or an experienced vet I think you'll find a home here.

michaelc469
7/16/17

There's quite a diversity here at this site and I think that's a good thing. If you're a hobbyist looking to interact with other writers and enjoy yourself, this is certainly the place for you. It IS a friendly atmosphere and you'll find most people are helpful and not out to slam anyone.
However, there ARE many serious writers and if you establish your desire for serious input, you will receive it.
It's up to you what path you choose to follow. There are professionals enrolled in the membership in all facets of writing from publishing to editing. They are here of their own volition to help and give back. If you seek them out, you will find them and they will help.
I've improved beyond my wildest dreams.
Many expect to receive rewards without putting in effort. Life doesn't work that way. These are the impossible to please folk we find in all walks of life.
Of course there are things to complain about and issues to address. Complaints are addressed and issues are discussed on a regular basis here. Improvements are constantly made.
You'll find a vast majority of the membership are delighted to be here.
No other site offers the instant interaction and access that this one does. Believe me, I've tried them all.
I recommend NONE higher than this.

melissaj77
7/16/17

If you love to write you'll love this site. Easy to use Writing contests are fun and committee judged. . The community is made up of helpful and caring people. I started off as a true beginner but now am considering publishing.

rogers214
7/16/17

It made me a much better writer. When I first joined I didn't really understand how to write a poem - keep a rhythm, or what makes the poem stand out. However, through feedback from writers I learned more about what poetry is all about and worked hard to improve. I enjoy sharing my writing. Entering challenging contests - and learning.

ronv19
7/16/17

Your time is limited. As is your money. And there's one thing your hard-earned money and precious time can't buy on Fanstory--no matter how much of either you spend on this archaic site--and that's how to become a proficient writer within a practical time frame.

With a few exceptions, most of the feedback I received on FanStory for my writing were rarely helpful and tantamount to no more than a ostensible lets-stroke-his-ego pat on the back. Giving me wrong grammatical advice will not get me to where I want to be as a writer, either. I just can't take serious any writing site endowed with a plethora of supposedly knowledgeable writers and reviewers, many of whom don't know the basic rules of grammar, punctuation, or spelling, or who arrogantly rewrite stories to their satisfaction rather than constructively critique them for the sake of the author submitting them.

If you're a decent writer with interesting stories, I truly believe you'll find FanStory's not a desirable site to promote your writing. You could end up finding yourself victimized by spending more of what the site owner really wants--your money--before you even come close to being recognized for your overall writing skills and storytelling ability. Believe me, there are easier and less expensive ways to promote your writing effectively and FanStory is simply not among them.

If you really want to learn to write, to learn from other writers--many of them published--who really know the craft and the pitfalls that come with it, please consider looking elsewhere beyond FanStory. Check out well-respected well-known sites like Scribophile.com and/or your local community's writers' group.

I spent very little time or money at FanStory, but unlike some of the poor souls who have--a lot of them pensioners--I know there are much better sites to practice our craft, places on the web where our time and money spent really means something and gives back an equitable and fair return for their exchange.

I firmly believe this site preys on vulnerable fledgling writers through its unconscionable practice of openly and blatantly giving its members the option to spend additional money to be recognized and reviewed and then hopefully move their way up the site's ranking's ladder. The truth is if you're a good writer, gaining recognition shouldn't be a problem and you should NEVER have to come out of pocket to enhance what's already there. Your writing will speak for itself, but that criteria doesn't seem to fit the modus operandi on FanStory. The bottom line is you'll need deep pockets to get from FanStory what you should have been getting all along at a minimal cost, even free, like the more reputable sites such as Scribophile.com and others do.

Some may call FanStory a sham, while others may call the site the greatest ever, but I call it what I really think it is--a regretful, exploitive waste of time and money.

In my opinion, FanStory runs on a business model imbued to pull the maximum dollars from its users with little concern for their creativity or the quality of their writing. The site's alternative to getting noticed and reviewed is getting members to use their PayPal money--real dollars--to pay their way to the top, so to speak, even after paying a basic membership fee. This means the membership paid for is just short of worthless and gives you little in return for value. And their FREE TO REGISTER prompt is just as worthless. On other sites I've received something in return or at least had the opportunity to contribute just by simply registering.

On FanStory, I also had to contend with obnoxious pop-up ads, even after signing up for and paying for the basic membership fee. My inquiry with the owner as to how to eliminate those ads from my page yielded a quick but canned response from him. His return message implied it was simply part of the site's way of doing business but the subtext underneath read to me as "deal with it, live with it."

To conclude, I believe this website completely violates the creative spirit of writing and sharing through its selfish, extreme for-profit self-serving practices.

anonymousa115
6/25/17

They really need to come up front and identify who is judging the FanStory contests and then give why they picked certain winners. Their Wizard of Oz, approach seems to me not at all an honest one. And they only list first place winners on their site and not second or third when it comes to their own FanStory contests...The pool writing contests, where people gather their money to enter, some earned by their points from reviewing, and then chosen by other members to win with their votes..Then, is the only time the site shows all the winners: 1st, 2nd, and. 3rd...They should do the same for all their contests, and not have members guess to as who won other than first place. After all, you have to pay to become a member of this site..or engage in any of their contests. Other than that, it is a good place to learn and read others work of poetry, stories, novels, or scripts...And have the opportunity to write in these different writing formats and for it to be reviewed by others members....Though some amateurs and others are not.

biilo
5/2/17

There appears to be no rhyme or reason or any published rules as to how poetry contests winners are chosen by the site results are determined. There is no description of the judge's panel - how it is made up or who is on the panel.

dianes162
3/29/17

I've been a member of FanStory for a while, and it's a great site with a nice writers. There's lots of good writing to read. People post all kinds of genres. But it's not a great feedback site It's more for posting your reading to be looked at by others, but not critiqued on a professional level. Still love it!

nicholasy2
3/25/16

I just joined fanstory its very cool and exciting for me

janel166
3/13/16

My writing has improved greatly since I joined. Everything I post (I share poetry and book chapters) gets feedback. When I post my writing I get feedback very quickly. Usually the feedback is detailed and helpful. There are many, many writing contests that I can enter that have cash prizes. Highly recommended.

Tip for consumers: If you write reviews you'll get fans. Fans will generally write reviews on your writing (they are notified every time you post).

vances14
11/1/15

Your writing gets generally fair reviews by other writers. There is an opportunity to gain deep learning and skills in poetry. The costs are not unfair and controlled by you. Tom, the owner has always been helpful, reasonable, and fair in my dealings over four years. I have been able to learn as well as teach and share with others which I find to be an honorable and positive undertaking. I cannot in any way understand some of the horrible reviews I've read here by others! I can only guess their expectations were way out of touch with reality!

markc130
8/31/15

My experience over the past two years with Fanstory has been a very positive learning experience. I connected with a great community of writers and have learned how to write poetry, short stories and even books.

scottl63
7/3/15

This site gave me the help that I needed to become a better writer. The opinions of authors through their reviews are a great help. I enjoy the writing contests. There are so many contests with different challenges! The members become aides to help me improve my writing skills. Highly recommended.

taylorm62
4/11/15

I heartily nominate FanStory as the most helpful website for writers. It truly delivers what it promises. Not only is it a forum in which your poetry, stories and essays are reviewed by other aspiring writers (I had 80 reviews of my latest poem!), but you can develop your skills by reading other members' works, as well. There are also contests to enter, daily, with generous payouts.

karens89
1/24/15

Like so many of the writers and reviewers here, I have found this writing community to be a great source of encouragement. The reviewers have exhibited honest and caring interest in helping me to improve my writing skills.

samt38
1/22/15

This is a great place to write and to express yourself through writing. It is also a good place for support and to learn how to become a better writer. The reviewers are terrific! Without these reviews, we cannot learn from our mistakes and improve. Fan story has a lot to offer. The feedback is just the start. The contests are fun. The daily challenges keep you active.

abelaf
1/20/15

Just in the short time I've been here, I've learned so much. I learn from every review - good or bad . You can always learn, always improve, and always get better. This site offers you that opportunity. I am just getting started as a writer and am finding it very helpful. There are experienced authors looking to give that help.

dorothys17
1/19/15

I am a "fan". If you enjoy writing poetry, stories or are working on a book this is an excellent site for you. I've always felt something deep within me to write. I was embarrassed to reveal it. Because of my experience here that has changed. I've overcome my fears. The feedback I have received has been very positive. There are things I need to work on and the reviewers (many published authors) have shown me where I can improve my writing.

zachm2
1/19/15

For me the best part of the site is the feedback I receive. It's often quite helpful. I tried other sites before finding this one and I found the reviews at other sites pretty useless (often one or two words). Here I get detailed help that is greatly appreciated. The contests (there are new ones every day) are fun. They challenge me to try new things (I never wrote poetry before I came here). I'm becoming a getter writer thanks to the experience I receive here.

Helpful answer

As far as I can gather as I was there ten (10) minutes ago where I was offered the chance to enter a free poetry contest if I updated my mebership - for a fee of course. Anybody who believes this is a place where a writer can improve himself is living in a dream world and deserves to be fleeced by these gangsters. As they say: There is one born every minute.

By Petra T. on 11/22/15
Helpful answer

My guess is that you'll have a much better chance for a response if you ask that question on the site itself!

By Jeff B. on 7/26/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the FanStory staff and other customers.

FanStory?