Review of Etsy

Tel: +1.7188557955
press@etsy.com

zaral3
5/31/17

Please beware of the Etsy scammer known as "ReVintageLannieJewls". Her name is provided as "Lannie Fellows Simino" and she sells fake jewelry branded as "18k gold". I have been scammed out of $360 for a piece of brass worth only $10. She is a deceitful person who takes advantage of Etsy's unprofessional and defunct customer service. I have returned the item to her PO Box (yes she shipped from some unknown PO Box address) and reported her five times to Etsy but no measures were taken. Please do not fall a victim of "ReVintageLannieJewls" like I did. She is a dangerous fraudster who should end up in jail soon!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT SHOP ON ETSY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES!!! It is the home of predators and scammers masked as "sellers". This fraudster scammed me out of $360. Here is the link to her fraudulent business on Etsy which you should avoid: www.etsy.com/shop/ReVintageLannieJewls

trevorw31
5/30/17

I had recent dealings with Boki Skoro for some funny toilet signs.For some reason the parcel went missing in transit reasons known only to Aus post.Boki bent over backwards chasing the parcel till all avenues were exhausted and constantly keeping me up to date.Boki then sent me at no charge the same items of the original order.Some15 days after postage the 1st package arrived with no explanation for delay.Boki told me to give them to friends and I would not be charged for them.Wil repeat purchase and recommend.

jessicaj94
5/29/17

Great variety but shipping cost more then the actual items you should do free shipping over 35, again the shipping is absolutely outrageous

katep46
5/28/17

I've had a great experience as a seller on Etsy (www.auberginefox.etsy.com) but also as a very long term customer. I've only had one negative shopping experience to date, and Etsy customer service sorted it out for me and I got my money back.

msp7
5/27/17

I've only order once from Etsy!! And the owner I've order from, had great reviews from other buyers. I've order a body brush/face brush from the owner, and which wasn't pricey at all! Both items came quickly and my items look like her displays. She also gave me a card to contact her with any issues, and a free sample of lavender shea butter! Oh it had such an lovely smell, couldn't do much with the sample, lol. I was able to use it on both elbows that's about it, but I'm planning to buy more from this seller soon. Never had any problems and I hope it stays that way, with any seller I'll purchase from in the near future! If not I'm coming to update my review, about my bad experience.

dob36
5/27/17

Etsy is definitely a niche market. However, I consider it very good at what it does. I don't normally go to Etsy when I'm looking for your average consumer product, but sometimes for gifts or special items, it's a great place to check out. I have also had my own store up and running for a while. Although I haven't had much success with sales, it's fairly easy to use and pretty straightforward, and also Etsy doesn't take out nearly the amount out of your revenue that eBay does. I do love eBay for certain things, but when it comes to selling my handmade product, I would much rather sell through Etsy than eBay.

mimik8
5/26/17

Etsy support is garbage. None the less. I've been shopping on Etsy for 7 years now, I buy something nearly every week, still, and have never once experienced a pleasant experience with Etsy support. The sellers for the most part are and tend to be amazing with exceptions of course, but the Etsy support team seems like a bunch of inadequate and incompetent cold hearted idiots. Nicely put. They will not help you, help understand the issue nor will go out of their way to resolve much. Take a week to reply to comments etc. I've never seen or have experienced more non-caring people in my life.

saram153
5/25/17

i sold handmade dresses and paintings on etsy shop with the collaboration of my team, who helped me in designing these items. When my sales had just started and my business was going flourishing. I felt very happy and hopeful to get success in my business. But etsy closed my shop without any notification and was telling me, I have to be in the making of every item from start to end. How it is possible to make products, do marketing and all thing by yourself. For successful businesses, team work is required. I can not get this philosophy of etsy. I am an honest person, so I discussed my team effort in my shop intro, I think when you are in etsy then be careful to not discuss your team and give all credit to you and show yourself superman or super woman . This was a very bad experience for me. I will never reccomend any one to start their business from this platform, this is so uncertain and unpredictable.

elec26
5/22/17

Etsy is a visually appealing marketplace with a wide variety of products. I have had pleasant interactions with a variety of sellers (my personal experience is limited to fashion-oriented purchases) who were more than happy to answer my questions. The layout is efficient and the shipping time has been reasonable thus far, although Canada post has recently experienced delays that are out of sellers' control.

Artists deserve to charge enough to make a living off of their work but a good chunk of Etsy creations and *cough* resales are overpriced. However, the product quality has been consistent in my purchases and I would advise all buyers to check for sizing and reviews before buying.

adrianag26
5/22/17

My daughter bought something from this site and she was waiting for more than a month shipping is really bad and if you try to call them they said sorry nothing we can do you have the wait for your shipping

wp17
5/16/17

Tried to return some items that were apparently over the 14 day window for returns and weren't exactly as advertised (multi color instead of just one color) and received a snotty reply: "By the way, even 5/11, it is still over 14 days. Policy is policy. If you give us a bad review because your order is over 14 days not allowed to return, we will report you to Etsy and post your threatening email under your review to let people know what kind of buyer you are." Wow...such a great company to do business with, and certainly the last time I do.

fredy30
5/12/17

Purchased a vintage 3 chain glass shade, over a week later updated shade has shipped.Shade arrives in a box barely big enough for glass shade, it is wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap,packed in peanuts the shade is shattered.
Will never do business with again

brendab126
5/10/17

I ordered 2 signs for teacher appreciation week. Huge lack of communication with the product. I purchased it . Received it in an email still had to take it to a print shop and pay additional $28. Not happy at all.

elizabeth
5/10/17

Years ago, Etsy was an excellent place to find truly handmade and unique goods. That is not the case now.

Search is dominated by cheap, reseller items. Before purchasing anything on Etsy, I always check Ebay and AliExpress; a lot of the time, the exact same items are listed on those sites for a fraction of the cost. Any truly unique items are buried under a sea of manufactured or trademark/copyright violating goods.

Further exacerbating this problem is the terrible search engine. Rampant mistagging means that search never pulls up the items you are actually looking for.

In addition, the seller quality has definitely gone down. Many either 1) Don't ship on time 2) Never ship at all 3)Ship sub-standard goods.

If you want to support small handmade goods, I'd look elsewhere. Shopping on Etsy is not at all what it used to be

jedi7
5/9/17

My cc was stolen and I was issued a new one. When the new one came I tried to update it on etsy since I owed $0.20 for a listing fee. However, due to the short cc shipping time, their very short grace period resulted in them suspending my account and then wouldnt allow me to update it with the new cc - there was no way to just update the card! On top of that, I wasnt allowed to purchase anything from etsy bc i didnt have a valid card on file - with no options up updating to the new card. This glitch in the site is absolutely rediculous and a middle schooler could fix the coding to allow a new cc to go through plus pay a fee. Why would I have to plead with them to call me so I can beg to have my new cc be put into my file to pay less then a quarter i fees and buy something.

rileyl11
5/8/17

A while ago I had purchased a LEGO figure from a seemingly popular LEGO seller on Etsy. The seller is located somewhere in Europe. I never saw my package. There was an issue with the package itself, and it was never delivered. When I tried getting my money back from the seller, the seller basically told me I was out of luck and not getting my money back. Even though I never even SAW my order. I never physically got to see it because of post office issues. When I brought this up with Etsy, they backed the seller. SO the package went back to the seller, the seller got to keep my money... I still don't know what I did wrong. I feel completely cheated. I use Etsy sparingly now. There is maybe one seller I stick to ordering from, and it's not often. The products I get from this seller are the best, so I want to stay in touch. Other than that, I wouldn't buy much on Etsy. I would trust other websites like eBay or Amazon over Etsy a hundred times over.

tyt15
5/7/17

I ordered 2 golf balls priority for a party on Sunday. I text the company multiple times asking where my order was, no response. On friday 3 days after a placed the order priority, they sent me a confirmation that iit was going to be shipped that day. I emailed them again, no response. Now next week I will be shipped a useless order that was supposed to be priority. Please think twice about using this company and don't let them ruin your parties!!!

jackm195
5/4/17

Pathetic excuse for a company, dreadfully corrupt.

My girlfriend had started her selling business on Etsy selling merchandise which she put a lot of time, money and effort into. She had lots of orders coming in and business was extremely healthy for her. We had been looking at moving out of my parents house and into our own flat, put the deposit down and within the hour have had to pull out of moving because Etsy have shut her account down and held all of the money owed to her until September!

Turns out this links back to an issue a little while back where an anonymous person had made some sort of inquiry to Etsy to see if she had permission to sell her products (she is selling under a brand) and she had sent proof of permission to Etsy and this person so it was cleared up, She had done nothing wrong here bear in mind. Etsy put her on a probation period where if she broke any of the terms they would suspend her account. That's fine, she had been doing nothing wrong so had nothing to worry about. But they still did this even though nothing was done wrong.

So now they have suspended her account for 'extortion' because she hosted a giveaway for her customers. If they bought an item, all they would have to do is leave a review of said item and they would be entered in to a draw to win free stuff. Apparently this is extortion and was listed in the T&Cs. Well actually it wasn't, but they said it anyway.

When my girlfriend noticed this she got in touch with Etsy to ask what was going on they told her that doing giveaways was against their policy, she replied asking them to explain further as she couldn't see it listed in their terms. they then sent her a blunt email telling her to refer to the previous email, then blocked communication with her. Disappointed with this she tried contacting them via Twitter, which they also blocked her on.

They had around £1900 of her money from buyers which she won't see until September, she still had to find money to make and ship orders. They left her without income without warning, and refused to talk to her and hear her voice. What an absolutely disgusting way to treat the people that are keeping you in business. I will be sharing this far and wide and to everyone even slightly inclined to using ETSY.

ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES OF A COMPANY. Do not support this selfish, lazy establishment. Spend your money elsewhere, or better yet buy from the sellers directly.

Tip for consumers: If you like an item from a seller don't buy through Etsy, buy direct, then the sellers get the money and recognition they deserve.

box18
5/2/17

I used to love etsy and even promoted them to everyone and even inspired some friends open shops of their own to sell there too long ago before they were as widely known. It is people like me who made etsy the community it became. I feel they treated their sellers better before they became public. It's not the same any more. They are becoming like another website I know that rhymes with dejay who's getting hammered by another website that rhymes with parmesan.

You'd be surprised how dirty some sellers play the game. Your competitors will be the ones to complain about your listings if you are doing too well (even if they are the ones infringing your original creative ideas). Have a few complaints and etsy will close your shop and it won't matter what you say. And if you have 2 shops, like I did, they will close both of them.

You're better off creating your own website and driving your own traffic through other websites. At $.20 per listing (for 3 months or until it sells, at which time you will incur another $.20 to relist), fees add up real quick despite them taking 3% final value fee plus additional 3%+ if you opt for direct deposit.

alem9
4/27/17

DO NOT order from this company. I've order a canvas that was $327.82 over a month and a half ago. I tried contacting this company multiple times and nobody has responded. Do not order from them!

crystalb71
4/25/17

I love this site. And I love the idea of purchasing from the little guy, instead of a corporation. Some very talented sellers!

debbiec106
4/23/17

They sent my purchase to someone else is what they told me. So I'm having to wait till that customer decides to send it to me. What ever!!! Etsy should have sent out my purchase again but to me this time. I've emailed over and over Still havnt received anything Or my money back. Who is running this place. A bunch of kids???

brucej40
4/22/17

Received my first order of treats from Katrina's Barkery, my Samantha really loved them. Will be ordering more.

carolm192
4/21/17

Googled glass clocks on Etsy and found the product I wanted. The artist / maker is well worth a look Craig is passionate about his work and it is truly beautiful .My clock arrived quickly and beautifully packed -- and not far from where I live.This site is well worth a look

michaelw337
4/18/17

I purchased several items for my upcoming wedding from this site. Loved all of them. They arrived as described in a timely manner. Would recommend!

556 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v. on 12/12/15
Helpful answer

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q. on 4/29/15
Helpful answer

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G. on 3/3/13
Helpful answer

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O. on 11/14/15
Helpful answer

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S. on 8/4/15
Helpful answer

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M. on 5/28/15
Helpful answer

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M. on 5/17/16
Helpful answer

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V. on 11/2/15
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Etsy