Review of Etsy

press@etsy.com
2017 Customer choice award

normk1
9/13/17

Ordered an item, a different one was received, forgot my password, their system is unfriendly, told them so, then received a 1 line email that was :"You cannot do that" and two sellers cancelled orders. This is not a business; it is a popularity contest and if sellers perceive a buyer is not to their liking, the buyer is screened out.

michaelp340
9/13/17

Ordered a birthday present at etsy.com, vendor MunchkinsNPumpkinsUK.

Time between order and delivery was 24 days (birthday present, which obviously didn't arrive in time). Vendor aggressively defending herself by pointing to all kind of vague conditions. Customer is stupid. Very customer unfriendly and delivery time of the 19th century. Paid 15 euro deliery cost for a product of 20 euro and had to wait for 24 days (shipping from UK to NL) !? Unreal. Never returning here again. P.S. And now I got reported for review extortion and abuse. Another example how seller is treating customers. Have no words left.... Totally flabbergasted.

jos7845
9/12/17

I am just glad that I have read other reviews before going any further with Etsy as a platform to expand my business and creating that dependency on them.
My experience- I just opened an account with Etsy and messaged some potential clients introducing our Business and the services that we offer.
After sending 5 odd messages Etsy blocked my messenger and restricted me from sending anymore messages. I initially thought it may just be their policy that doesnt allow more than 5 messages per day, hence tried again and the messenger is still blocked. Not sure what is Etsy are so insecure about??
After reading their unprofessional behavior towards other members who have been with them 3-5 yrs, I doubt their customer service will ever bother to address my query and hence I cant be bother either.
They promise to make a Bird fly by giving her wings and then tying off the wings just so that bird can only fly at Etsys will!
They want to dictate everything in your business, whom your business should and shouldnt be introduced and control it. For me personally, its like restricting my progression further.
Thanks to other members for their reviews, you have just saved me lot of time & energy that I could invest elsewhere to expand my business further. Never would never want to work with unprofessional ppl again!

cassiem18
9/11/17

I could seriously spend hours browsing all the cool handmade and vintage items on Etsy. I can't speak from the seller's perspective, but as a buyer, your experience all depends on whether you order from an honest and professional seller. So far, I've only had one bad experience, which involved an unresponsive seller and an undelivered item. I opened a case, and Etsy's customer service gave me a full refund within a week.

scotts287
9/6/17

In my option they use to be a good website to buy from but not anymore. They stared getting scammers on their site and that is bad for business.

jarahs
9/6/17

LOVE this site. Used it for my wedding, for the birth/nursery of my first child, and for gift giving. Never have I been dissatisfied :)

jillw50
9/5/17

Amazing book of Poetry and Prose. Looking forward to the next edition. ##BBF Melody Lee. Her words/thoughts are amazing and inspiring

anno105
9/5/17

Despite all of their BS proclamations to the contrary that they have a process to assist buyers who are ripped off, Etsy has - for years - allowed sellers on their site to lie about what they are selling, rip people off, and if a buyer asks for help, Etsy does NOTHING. If you're going to buy on Etsy, the person you are buying from can send you nothing or send you something completely different, and you will lose your money. In addition, look at their review process closely. No review after a certain amount of time. Can't review if you've filed a complaint. Can't sort reviews. And, I provided Etsy with email exchanges that proved without a doubt that the seller stole $60 from me. Etsy just "closed the case."

sc3537
9/2/17

I signed up via the Australian website. I bought an item from an Australian seller in the app which showed me the purchase was in Australian dollars.long story short I got charged extra.turned out the fabulous UX/UI on the websitr had set my default transaction currency to USD even though the app was showing me everything was in AUD.

Etsy support were crap. They were basically saying it was my fault I didn't know about their stupid default currency setting which is hidden on some obscure tab in the user setup when you go in via the website.

They offered me a gift certificat as I'd that was going to make the additional currency conversion fees and my lack of confidence in the product go away.

Don't do it too yourself. If you want to shop local go local.

mazio
9/1/17

I complained to Etsy about a seller who I believed misrepresented the product he was selling on their platform. Etsy never investigated intead, only stated that the complaint would be put on seller's file. I lost cost of shipping the items back to seller.
Also once items are returned, Etsy website doesn't allow you to review the product. I therefore couldn't warn other unsuspecting buyers about this particular seller.
If you are a buyer please avoid the platform because you wont get that much protection from Etsy.

annem205
8/31/17

People should realize that Etsy as a whole does not speak for the millions of small shops that sell there. Before you place your order you should check the shops reviews and send the seller a quick note to see their response time and business manner.

Quite frankly it's silly to peg Etsy as a whole as fraudulent when each shop is independent of Etsy. Just like eBay or Amazon, it is your responsibility to check out the credentials of a shop before you purchase. If you are unhappy with your purchase simply dispute it with your bank or credit card company if Etsy is not fast enough for you. It's just that simple.

leighb41
8/28/17

Candlebrate is a great little candle shop with these cute little candles for birthday cakes. They have leggo, pac-man, spiderman, star wars, etc. And the prices are crazy low! They also have candles in jars/tins, but if you have a theme birthday party coming up, you should check them out.

tinat20
8/28/17

I was happy with Etsy for a very long time but it went downhill quickly. I sell mainly vintage/estate jewelry and had buyers complain that items took "TWO DAYS to arrive" (nobody offered or PAID for overnight). Many buyers don't read the details or only read them AFTER they have ordered and paid then want to cancel. Etsy blames the seller for this. I also had no problem with giving a refund AFTER IT GET THE ITEM BACK. Etsy will cave to buyers by giving the refund before or INSTEAD of the return - so out the money AND the item. You can only have 3 complaints in 18 months or you are suspended for a month. On number 4 you are closed down forever. I made some nice cash there while it lasted but I could only lose so many items and so much money before we had to part company. I would try it again though if I was able to enforce my terms but I cant afford to give items away free.

bradm63
8/25/17

Purchased necklace with "Sea glass" pendent. Sea glass pendent was plastic; not sea glass and the necklace clasp broke off when trying it on. Wasted $48.

andrest10
8/22/17

i never receipt my item!!!!!!!!!!!BUT YES THEY CHARGE ME VERY FAST!!!!!!!!!!!................................................................................................................................................

yuanx3
8/20/17

my store was closed by ETSY and i offer more pics to show all of is do my self but ehy no reply...any new suggestion for new marketplace ? I am live in HK , good selling more people will go ,on ebay pls , lower pirce

susanl68
8/20/17

I know many sellers on eBay and other sites who won't have anything to do with www.Etsy.com. No one knows who is behind Etsy or where the work is being done, but Etsy is not high tech. Their website is totally defective. They don't work weekends. They are incapable of answering any questions. The leadership of this company is disconnected from reality. Probably too busy making crafts. Just imagine how neat this website would be if skilled and smart leaders got their hands on it! If you want to buy tiny little craft items, this is the site for you. Their shipping and inventory algorithms depend on tiny projects. Shame on the owners of Etsy for stealing money from shop owners and lying to buyers and sellers. Bad, bad people. Their "offices" are located in Ireland to make it easier to violate and break US laws.

donc98
8/19/17

people sell junk and dont list things correctly. Etsy will ALWAYS side with the seller and these sellers know it. Expect to get screwed over by the seller and then etsy. This is by far the WORST site EVER. If you're thinking about creating an account- dont say we didnt warn you about getting $#*!ed over.
Also, customer service is 100% unhelpful. Takes forever to get assistance and they dont even help.

isaacm55
8/15/17

They deleted items off my shop and sent a snooty email that "you cant cleverly re package items to sell. You can only sell items you made, vintage items, or craft supplies"
Problem: Both items were kits I put together for processing wood and making a camp fire making them craft supplies.
One of the kits had diy tools that I made.
Now they're hipsters from Brooklyn so I don't expect them to know what camp gear is but atleast sit your jegging clad butt down at the computer and study what you're deleting before you alienate the community that is your business.

rachaelr16
8/11/17

Don't expect Etsy to help you as a customer AT ALL. First of all, it is impossible to reach their customer service team. You first need to open a case with the seller and then they GET A WEEK TO RESPOND?! Excuse me? This order was already two weeks late. Then once I finally could escalate the case to Etsy, all they do is CC me on an email to the seller and GIVE THEM ANOTHER WEEK TO RESPOND? I'm not sure who's side Etsy is on, but it sure isn't the customer. Stay away!

susans372
8/10/17

As my title alluded, I'm thankful I looked this up before setting up my handmade jewelry store. The reviews here and on the better business bureau stopped any and all plans to do business with them as a "middle man". Seemed to good to be true, and once you look deeper its a nightmare pit that many fall into innocently.
Thanks to everyone that came forward to warn people like me as well as the buyers.

lisab375
8/8/17

Also here is a link to petition #ENOUGH Etsy

ayesham7
8/7/17

Estay suspended my account and closed my store within 2 days without allowing me to complete my profile or even finish listing. I am completely confused and felt like a criminal.

lic53
8/5/17

etsy deactivated my new opened shop(just 1 day) with no explanation at all, after my unstopping trying and they gave me a ridiculous reply which nothing is true.They so called that being transparent and honest but to look what they did to me. After I provided all the id card and bank information,uploading some items which are exactly respect their selling policy, and they just simply shut down my shop. Ridiculous,rude after all.

frankies24
8/4/17

I wanted to look at vintage craft beads. I selected "beads" > craft supplies & tools >UK >vintage>price lowest first. What came up were buttons, iron pyrite fossils, knitting patterns, beaded purses, cabochons, sea glass, beaded cardigans...in short, a whole load of items that were not beads. I began to add minuses. "beads" -buttons. I pressed Enter and Etsy wiped out my filters and re-set to Anywhere >All Items and Relevency. Long story short, every time I added a minus item Etsy re-set all my filters. When I'd added everything that was not beads, it returned only ONE search result. Which was a bonsai plant made out of wire!
Etsy's search engine is frustrating, ridiculous and archaic. Want to waste hours and send your blood pressure through the roof this is the place to do it.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Please keep in mind that etsy has thousands of sellers. It is a difficult site to rate here on sitejabber because ratings really do not relate to the site. Ratings would have to relate to individual sellers. I have had at least 100 transactions on esty and have not had a single issue.

By Nancy M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Yes it is. Although each shop is owned individually checkout process is very secure through direct pay or PayPal.

By Reenie V.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

11 Photos for Etsy