US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

wtfiswrongwiththisworldd
6/1/16

I was so upset at the killing of HARABE ( REST IN PEACE and known you have changed the world!!) that I ( against intellectual judgement) decided to sign the petition. Feeling good about this support, I was immediately disturbed at the next page asking for a donation, with a sympathetic claim that a donation could make a difference.
This prompted me to start a petition for CHILD ENDANGERMENT charges against the parents of the boy who fell in with HARABE because of the allegations they may seek damages ( sue the zoo) for the zoo not preventing the boy from accessing the area.

Week ,guess who was not allowed to start a petition for this cause.

SHAME ON YOU change.org. You money grubbing bastards!

I hope someday there will be a petition to shut you down and then finally a good change will prevail.

nancyr86
5/31/16

All they will do is steal your money on a monthly basis. The cause that you think that you are giving to will not receive your money. They need to be investigated because their business practices are bordering on illegal.

lorrainer15
4/26/16

I was just given the opportunity to sign a petition asking that the health care system pay for items like false breasts and such for persons who identify with the opposite gender but don't choose to have the surgery.

This peeves me no end and I'll tell you why. I have MS and if the day comes when I need to use a wheelchair, I'll have to pay for it myself. I have to use catheters to urinate and I have to pay for them myself. Liberal PM Paul Martin rejigged the eligibility criteria for getting a CPP disability pension so that only persons who'd gotten disabled very quickly and had been making CPP payments in full could apply. That left me ineligible because, being honest, I'd gone on working part time as long as I could.

So I won't be signing change.org petitions in future either, as I know from my own unpleasant experience that this was an uninformed petition. How many that I signed were similarly false?

Just want to clarify my review. I'm Canadian and the petition that peeved me so much was directed at the Canadian health care system.

victoriam62
4/7/16

I started an online petition to save a historic house threatened with demolition in my community; it was an effective way to raise awareness in the community and even brought two qualified buyers to the developer. Unfortunately, despite assuring one buyer that he would work with him once he received planning & zoning approval of his site plan, the developer completely ignored the buyer and our community once he received approval, and demolished the house in minutes. On that same day, I received an email via change.org that our town's highest official had supposedly signed our petition to save the house...obviously a cruel joke and a scammer. When I asked change.org how this could happen, I was told the same thing I already complained about: that there was no sign of this person's signature; their concern seemed to center around not wanting to violate the privacy of the signers by sharing the email address of that signer, which was less important to me than trying to corroborate that someone did in fact 'scam' sign this petition which would tend to discredit the larger petition effort and obviously the change.org site. Hopefully the people behind change.org will tighten this up so that petitions are not so vulnerable to this type of scam signing since there are many worthy causes on their site. I also think they could improve functionality from the creators' standpoint; providing updated messages to signers with pictures and messages was cumbersome and in my case, by the day of the demolition, the site wrongly logged in my update to signers on the day following the day the demolition took place when I sent the message.

leonidt
11/12/15

now 98 of my 980 email inbox are petition spam and 142 of them are of endcitizensunited a PAC that is raising money to illegalize the act of PACs raising money. i have edited the wikipedia page of change.org to include references of its spamming which are quickly reversed, probably by that greedy downie jennifer dulski herself.

lucyy2
10/18/15

I'm sorry, but a lot of the you posting reviews here are being ignorant... Change.org is not posting these petitions themselves. In reality, any user that signs up can create a petition about any cause. There are even ones you don't agree with, but you don't have to sign them.

And no, not all of the petitions on Change.org are about unimportant things. If you browsed around the website you would see that.

I admit I don't know the website well enough to say I know everything about it, but I've been using it for a couple years and have known about it even longer. I have not had too many problems besides the fact that they send out quite a few emails and you have no say in how many they should send to you per week/month. They may be selling your information, but because I use Gmail I receive none of the spam and therefore don't really pay attention. You might not be unchecking the boxes that say you want to receive emails from the organization that started the petition, but that is not called 'selling your information'. That would be your fault.

I agree this website needs a LOT of improvement. Currently, the only way to contact Change.org is by filing a help ticket. And to find out where is not very user friendly. To file a help ticket on Change.org scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'help' on the very bottom. In the top corner of the screen you will see 'submit a request' (this method is subject to change).

The only way to share your suggestions through website is if they ask you to take a survey. You could also send your suggestions as a help ticket (which I did and they said their thanks and "I will pass this on to our product team for review and consideration.")

I really hope they decide to improve their website and make it more user friendly.

susanl68
9/23/15

Not only was Change.org unwilling to do anything other than mine my data and the data of every person who signed a petition, without our knowledge or consent, I was unable to get signed petitions from them to forward to the addressees of the Petitions. What I did get, and what the petition signers got were many requests for money in the nature of, "pay us $20, and we'll send your petition to 20 more people", etc. The Change.org website was dysfunctional, and there are no Change.org employees willing to help, speak to a petitioner, respond to an email from a petitioner or correct errors. I found more than four (4) separate alleged mailing addresses for the company, and letters always came back "Return to Sender, Not Deliverable". Ben Rattray may be the CEO, but his niche marketing of using social justice as a means for creating a revenue stream is a failure, a rip off and a fraud, lacking any transparency or accountability.

Tip for consumers: I waited two years to get any response from anyone at Change.org to a Petition I started. I generously signed lots of petitions, and circulated petitions, and I was surprised that Change.org was so deliberately indifferent and disinterested in social justice.

jeffreys42
6/27/15

After swing the email commending that the federal government thinks gay marriage is legal. This is the destruction of the moral decay of this country. The love
between a man and a woman, a man and man
Or a woman and a woman is great . But marriage between a man and a woman should be honored as a sacred place for marriage. No disrespect to any gay person but what an organization like change.org give the one sided view. I'm glad I'm Roman Catholic in my beliefs
It will never become part of my belief

Jts
Pittsburgh pa

frankb66
11/28/14

I signed petition for a teen girl that was killed by a psychopath cop and they got like 300 signatures and wanted donations to promote the story I guess. Then they send me an email for a chick-fil a petition to save the chickens and they had 50000 signatures. That is just sick and they seem to promote save the chickens aggressively. I feel dirty even going there.

gretchenl1
10/26/14

I've been trying to support a couple of petitions for some days, but as soon as I go through the process, I get a message that they don't support my browser ... and go on to recommend that I use one of the browsesr that I'm already using! I don't know whether I've duplicated, trebled or quadrupled my signatures: I suspect they haven't accepted any of them, because they are so anxious to persuade me to download the Google Chrome program that I'm already using. I'm certainly not receiving the usual "thank you" and to please "let zillions of friends know that you have signed this petition ,," Perhaps I should start a petition suggesting that Change,org set their own house in order ... get their act together, and stop wasting our time by their own inadvertence.

alessandros17
3/21/14

Financed by the same transnational elites that sponsor the civil unrest at Ukraine and Syria. Not a NGO at all, but merely a front for the furthering of the agendas of the western powers and it's backers.

ericg26
3/3/14

I am a bleeding-heart liberal (except I don't support legalization of cannabis), but this website is atrocious.

I am 6' 8" and created a petition one day for more leg room on coach flights. Without my permission, they gave my name to dozens and dozens of third parties.

The last thing they want to be is optimistic. I suffer from depression but they still make everything sound scary. I've been much happier now that I no longer receives these parties' emails. My experience led me to conclude that if the Civil Rights Movement had taken place today, Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" would have been its anthem instead of "We Shall Overcome."

Not only that but I, like other reviewers here, had no luck with my petitions. They are very much pick & choose about whose (and what) petitions they decide to support.

davidm173
2/26/14

THEY HAVE AN AGENDA AND ITS NOT POSITIVE!! This site is not Valid. It allows its results to be TAMPERED WITH AND MANIPULATED! They are a farse and should be held accountable for tampering with results! DO NOT SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE.

skyec2
2/24/14

Have been hacked twice recently, both times immediately after signing change.org petitions via Facebook even though I have virus protection. Co-incidence? I don't think so. Did you notice that an ad SUPPORTING Keystone XL as one of petitions they offer? Social change needed? Yes. Petitions a great way to make your voice heard? Yes! BUT NOT VIA CHANGE.ORG!!! Unfortunately they've sold out to the big corps. I'll sign petitions elsewhere and vote with my pocketbook, but not via 'Change'. )'(

reginac5
1/28/14

I have used the service for petitions and find the staff and support very helpful. I have also made some great connections with people who share similar views about important social issues.

bens61
11/26/13

Sorry there is no box for zero star - so selected the lowest
The intention is good, but exercution id pt-poor
It is nearly impossible to post a pertition.
It is nearly, no - impossible to get tech-assistant.
It is disigned to discurage people from submitting a pertion.
One can say that this site may be funded by the the fed to discourage people from speaking up / out.

lisab73
11/11/13

Great petitions. Real change.

paulc77
11/5/13

Used to be cool, but ever since they don't allow news update deletions, that's when change.org started going downhill. My petition: Nintendo, Don't let Princess Peach get kidnapped in anymore games went out of control because I was getting hateful comments on the news updates. I wanted to delete them, but I couldn't. Therefore, I let my mom take over the petition. The staff here aren't very helpful and they changed things up a lot. They don't help advertise either. I highly recommend using another petition site. That's about it.

bills79
9/17/13

Idiots complaining about Starbucks mostly. Occasional intelligent person makes a petition but any moron can also make a petition to make a Starbucks drink vegan. Yeah that's what its all about Gen Y/Z. ZERO social reform value

nickg23
8/31/13

whilst I have signed several petitions that are worthwhile causes I refused to sign one recently as I felt there was a hidden agenda and other implications which were not shared openly with us.I felt that the owner of the petition had their own personal agenda which they were not making clear to us deliberately. I would advise not To just blindly sign anything that appears a moral black-and-white but to be careful what you wish for as the saying goes. If the information is not explain clearly either on change.org or on a parent website then do not sign. this will lead to more transparency and help us make up our own minds. As I say I have signed many petitions which are worthwhile but beware of hidden agendas. As regards change.org themselves there is a web page that appears after you sign Asking if I you would like to spend a considerable sum to petition other persons who may or may not sign it. This is crass and exploitive marketeering and a charitable platform should not be used to make a profit. .reject it immediately. We are trying to help people not line their pockets. Good but be careful

chrisc94
7/16/13

over use. they send a petition for everything! I think people just sign anything and dont even check what it is.... they signatures should not be considered legit! this site will petition for anything.

nasreena
7/8/13

They use your causes as business. The same they support the rights of animals they give place to conservative groups to promote apartheid. And when you ask them why they are so "tolerant" they say they don't have an agenda. Yes... they have, those who don't have agenda don't have principles and.. what they do with your information? One must be stupid for not believe they sell it

juliam8
6/22/13

I just realized how dangerous, not just buggy, this site is, seeing today a case of a lynch mob victory. You can easily fire somebody from a job and destroy their life based on pure allegations you put on change.org, anonymously, just because media are going to spread it. What kind of "social change" is that? I wish there were negative stars here.

I also always google the case before signing any petitions. A number of times important facts in petitions on change.org are distorted or omitted. Anybody can post anything, manipulate people to sign, and manipulate media to spread rumors, no facts are verified. Those whose petitions are valid and scream for help don't benefit from it at all. The site should be renamed into "libel.org" or "lynchyourenemy.org".

jennyc15
4/4/13

Basically, anyone say whatever they like about whoever they like. They do not verify any of the information that people petition for! A site that allows themselves to be used this way, well, whats the difference in change.org & facebook????

aznau
3/11/13

change.org a "for profit organization" does violate invididual privacy. It became a cheap board publishing anonymous petitions, individuals vs individuals and does block you the get the chance to verify the petitioner or remove the petition if there is no proof of accusations. instead using the site for social change, anyone can blame you, publish and defame you, being anonymous. They will do nothing about because they are dedicated to get BILLIONS in sponsorship. GET CHANGE ORG REGULATED against privacy violation and monopoly.

28 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

8 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Change.org staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
6/21/16
Answer
zos8
A: Hello Joel - thanks for reaching out. There are a couple opportunities to financially contribute to a campaign. The first is to promote the petition, which helps raise it's profile on Change.org. Here is a link with more information about promoting petitions: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217103508. We also have the option for petition starters to create fundraisers around their petitions. Fundraisers allow users to collect financial assistance for a stated goal. Here is a link with more information about Fundraisers on Change.org: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/217594347. If you feel that a fundraiser looks suspicious or the intended use of the funds is too vague, please do not contribute. I hope this information helps! Please reach out to us at help.change.org if we can be of any additional assistance. Thanks! Zo
6/22/16
Helpful answer
Add your answer
6/12/16
Answer
zos8
A: Hello Ken - Here is a help center article that will help you locate your petition in your account: http://help.change.org/hc/en-us/articles/206135287. From there you can share it to help raise awareness. Please reach out to our help team at help.change.org if you have any questions. Thanks! Zo
6/13/16