Review of Uncommongoods

help@uncommongoods.com

66 reviews with 1 star

bretts110
1/14/19

So my wife ordered a book, MegaDad, which is a personalized comic book. Meaning, they insert a given name on the book title and insert it throughout the story. This was a gift ordered in November. It arrived just before the Holidays. The problem wasn't the delivery, but that the personalization was non existent. Every where the "personalized name" was to be, instead had no name at all. We contacted customer service and they apologized and said they'd take care of it and send the correct version out. Mistakes happen, and we were fine with them fixing the error. Today, we received the "updated" book, only to see that again it was not personalized with the given name in the book. Very frustrating and we will ultimately not deal with this company again.

loj2
1/5/19

Initially reached out for help with a return and Rachel T. Responded promptly and said the system hadn't updated yet and to confirm I received item. I replied I did and wanted to ensure that when starting return sender wouldn't know I was returning it. She said it wouldn't be an issue.. Crystal T. Took over and asked how my return went and I said I never received return label - she sent me one and I prepped items to mail out. In my response I confirmed one more time that sender will not know and asked which information she would need from me to get the credit. SHE DID THE READ THE WHOLE SITUATION OF PREVIOUS THREAD WITH RACHEL. SHE NOTIFIED THE SENDER THAT I WAS RETURNING ITEM. JUST WOW. Will never tell anyone to shop from this website due to poor customer service and loyalty.

jamiep166
12/25/18

I ordered a Christmas gift on 12/10 for my husband. 15 days ago. I still have not received the item, and was left without a gift for my husband. I called last week to see what was going on. The customer service person LIED to me. I explained that the tracking information was showing that they had not received the item and was waiting on Uncommon Goods. They put me on a hold and came back to assure me that the delivery service had indeed received it, just they don't update their delivery information. What a load of $#*! . They assured me that the delivery date was set for the end of the day. I tried to explain that the delivery day changed every day to that day's date. Again, I was promised delivery. Guess what, nothing showed. It is now 5 days later and still nothing. I will never order from this company again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
That's really disappointing, Jamie. We're so sorry this happened to you! Since SiteJabber doesn't give us enough information to locate customer orders, I'd appreciate it if you could send us a private message with your order number and/or full name so I can look into this further.
allisonk61
12/21/18

I ordered gifts for four family members on December 13. The delivery date was December 21. I even purchased the membership to get the shipping on time. I called on 12/21 (today) to check on the order and apparently two of the items aren't available and the other two will go out TODAY. The day they were supposed to arrive. I am now out gifts for four of my family members. I will never EVER order from this company again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We feel awful, Allison. We're sorry that we weren't able to get you a full replacement order before Christmas. Our team will continue to be in contact with you about your order.
timl237
12/16/18

the site shows order received and paid on dec. 7th
shipping updates the item arrives at fedex 6 days later, its Been rescheduled 3 times. already Dec. 17th and NO ITEM IS AT MY HOME UNDER MY XMAS TREE.
I will NEVER, EVER, EVER shop this place again. I recommend spending $2 more and buying exact same item on Amazon. try to save a dime and get bit in the behind

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We’re sorry to hear that your order hasn’t been delivered yet, Tim! Please send us a private message with your order number or contact our customer service team at 888-365-0056 or help@uncommongoods.com. We’d love to get this sorted out for you!
jiml301
12/15/18

This company lied to me. After I paid for next-day delivery, they let the item sit in the warehouse for two days, told me that it had been shipped and I would get it today, and now tell me it's out of stock and I'll get it in January. They are a disgrace. They could have made it good, but would not. Avoid these people at all cost.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for letting us know about this problem, Jim. We’d love to look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your order number so we can get started.
davidw1304
12/13/18

We ordered custom embroidered socks for our sons for Christmas. We never received a confirmation by email or USPS. When the socks did come, one pair came with the name incorrect. When we called, customer service, they said that it wasn't their problem. They would not replace the socks, but they would give us half off replacement pair. So....in spite of their neat ideas, execution is poor; and they won't correct their mistakes.

We'll stick with a major retailer of clothing and outdoor equipment here in Maine. They understand customer service and do it exceedingly well.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We’d like to look into this a bit further, David. Please send us a private message with your order info and we’ll get to work. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
angelicag29
12/7/18

I don't really want to waste anymore time on these morons. My advise is never order from Uncommongoods. I have been fighting for a month to get an error fixed with a custom order. All they are interested in is recharging me when they messed up and they don't even care about the hassle that they have caused me.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for letting us know about this, Angelica. Would you mind sending us a private message with your full name or order number so we can look into this further and see what we can do to make this right?
We're looking forward to hearing from you!
- Jen
jenb109
12/7/18

I placed and order and the order was confirmed. A week went by and I finally received and email for shipping of part of my order. Later that day I received another email stating the res of my order was cancelled due to being out of stock adb discontinued. Really?!? They wait a week to tell me they cannot fulfill my order? I still do not have my refund and now it is too late to order these items from anywhere else. Extremely disappointed with Uncommon Goods. This was my first time ordering from them and will be my last!!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Jen,
We're so sorry this happened to you. We found ourselves unexpectedly out of stock of a few items and unable to procure more. Please accept our deepest apologies. I'd like to look into your refund. Can you send us a private message so we can make sure that your refund has posted?
- (other) Jen
jamesr758
11/30/18

I have ordered from uncommon goods and havoc had an absolute nightmare. They stated that the order would be delivered on the 27th of November. By the 29th we tried to contact them to find out why was going on. Their autonomy system was blatantly false, ineffectual and not intended to solve any issues. After an inexplicable number of autonomy responses we finally got hold of a US customer service number. I wish we hadn't. They told us we had received the order. I don't have a US accent so the customer service assumed that I couldn't understand what receiving an order was. I am just waiting for the hoods I paid for. Still nothing. Please don't ever use these people as it is a scam

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a disappointing experience, James! I'd love to take a closer look at your order; would you mind sending us a private message with your full name or order number?
allisonb113
11/9/18

Was ordering a tote bag and a wine stopper
Not big or heavy but for around $120 in goods they wanted near $80 in freight.
Customer service no help.
Bought similar goods elsewhere similar price freight cist $7.95.
I wont be buying off uncommon goods ever.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Allison! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Shipping can get pricey if a customer is choosing overnight or international shipping. Our economy domestic shipping starts at $4.95, and we've just launched a program called Perks, which gives customers a year of free standard (3-5 business day) shipping for $19. We do hope you decide to give us another chance in the future!
sp153
10/15/18

Bought over $140 in merchandise as a birthday gift for my husband. For some unknown reason that was NEVER explained to me. They cancelled my order without notifying me. My AMEX was charged the full amount. Customer service representative said they thought it was fraudulent. Thought my email was "no good". It is a gmail account for goodness sake. Did not call me either. Did not apologize when I call for status. NEVER ORDER FROM THEM!!!! STAY AWAY!!!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
How frustrating! Please send us a message with your order number or full name so we can locate your order and figure out what happened here. We're looking forward to hearing from you!
maryk523
10/6/18

I love the items in this catalogue -- however I ordered a special gift item and they claim that UPS made one attempt to deliver it and then brought it to some sort of service center for pick up. I have never heard of this policy and if it is the policy = 1. it should have been detailed when checking out, and 2. They should use shipping vendors that don't have such absurd policies. I have my own catalogue store and use USPS and NEVER have this problem.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm sorry for the frustration, Mary. UPS started using access points back in 2015 and retailers such as ourselves have no control over whether a package is delivered to an access point or not. We recently added a new shipping partner and have seen a decrease of packages being delivered to an alternate address.
abbyv9
10/5/18

I am very disappointed in Uncommon Goods. I ordered an item for my anniversary and they delivered the wrong item. I tried to work with customer service to get the right item. They wound up charging my paypal without my authorization... AND they charged me twice for the item. I talked to their customer service and they said that it didn't happen and were very harsh to me. I was hung up on. I sent them the two charges and they eventually refunded me with no apology or consideration for the stress this has caused me. I recommend staying away from this company since they are double charging customers and not authorizing purchases.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Would you please send us your order number or full name so we can look into this? We're so sorry that you've had this experience and would like to understand what happened; we want to make sure this never happens to another customer. Many apologies from all of us.
staceyg57
5/25/18

Finding gifts for my discerning mother is tough! I saw a necklace on this site and thought it would be a unique gift. I ordered it, and was double charged. Also, I checked the gift box option but it was not mentioned in the confirmation. So I called customer service. They said I didn't opt for it, though they did have the message I wrote out for the card. She said the only way to fix the order was to cancel the order and order it again. So we did and I was charged a third time. I was told the money for the TWO extra charges would be back in my account in about a WEEK. Later that same day I discovered that my mother's address would be different by the time of delivery. I called back hoping I could change the delivery address and they said I could, took the new address and assured me it would be shipped to the new address within the expedited delivery time frame. (I paid extra to make sure it arrived in time for her birthday.) Well a week passed and I realized it was three days after the deliver by date and I had heard nothing so I called again. Again I spoke with a rep who, I hate to say, seemed uneducated at best, much like the two or three other people I spoke with. She told me several attempts had been made to deliver the item. I asked to which address? And she read off the OLD address. I reiterated that I'd called and changed the address and was assured that it would be sent to the new address. She confirmed that the call was in their records, as was the new address. I complained about the double charge, the gift box and now this and she said it was not acceptable and that she'd look into and see what they could do. A few minutes later she called back and told me that the last number on the zip code was wrong. (my fault) I asked so this caused it to be shipped to the old address???? She started talking in circles and making no sense. I realized I was being given the run around. She said this would be taken care of in the next two to three days! Meanwhile my mother's birthday gets farther and farther in the past.

I've now started looking up reviews of Uncommon Goods and I can see this is NOT unusual for them and that I have been duped. I don't have a lot of faith anymore, and I fear the necklace will actually be cheap junk. The price certainly wasn't cheap.

Tip for consumers: JUST DON'T. Shop somewhere else.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us, Stacey. We're really sorry that you ran into so many troubles along the way. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you - we can be reached at help@uncommongoods.com or at 888-365-0056.
pujyam
2/13/18

I ordered online and my card was charged. I also received the order ID and now their customer service number does not work nor can I track my order.
Order:E4X001048515037

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Pujya!
It appears that you contacted us while we were closed (we're open 8a-midnight ET Monday through Friday and 8a-11p ET on weekends). I see that our customer service team has already been in contact with you and it looks like they've fully addressed your concerns. Please let us know if that's not the case. You can reach us at help@uncommongoods.com.
keonic
2/1/18

I was trying to order wine infused coffee. After placing the delivery address and the credit card details, the site said "order cannot be processed", but they still charged my card for the goods that I was supposed to order. Worse thing is, I tried to order again thinking it was just an internet connection error, but I just got charged again. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS WEBSITE.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We’re so sorry for the frustration, Keoni! You were seeing pending authorizations, not actual charges. Even a customer’s payment is declined we instruct customers to call our customer service team to find out why the payment was unsuccessful. This eliminates multiple pending authorizations. These pending authorizations are automatically removed within 1-3 days by the customers’ bank. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you! 888-365-0056 | help@uncommongoods.com
aaronj45
1/20/18

Got the 100th Bday book (NY Times) for my grandma, thinking it would be something she could actually enjoy. The book costs $100, so you would think for that price, you would bet getting a VERY high quality product.

Turns out the print is so small not even a 20-something year old can read it without a magnifying glass, let alone someone who is 100.

Also - 90% of the pages are in black in white, yet their catalog online shows clear pictures in color.

They won't let you return the book since it's personalized, and are now trying to claim there was a 'printing issue' which there isn't - it's simply a bad product.

Very misleading advertisement and terrible customer service. Will never buy a single thing from this company ever again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're so sorry that the New York Times book wasn't the perfect gift! We cite information such as dimensions in the details tab of every product we sell. The artist isn't able to print these books at the original size of the newspaper (22"x13.5", later reduced to 22"x12") because of extremely high costs, but they've printed the books as large as they're able, which is 15"x12.5". The paper didn't start printing the first page in color until 1997. https://www.nytco.com/who-we-are/culture/our-history/
I see that our customer service team has been in contact with you about this. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!
nicoles219
1/8/18

Ordered a National Parks Map for a friend as a Christmas gift on 11/29. It arrived 12/10 damaged (it was rolled up in a cardboard box that came torn and smashed). I took photos and emailed them to let them know and they said they would send a replacement. Three days later, they sent me a return label and said they would send my replacement once they received the return. So I immediately shipped it back. I emailed on 12/20 asking where my replacement was and noting that I needed it in time for Christmas. They assured me I would receive it on time. It never showed up. I emailed them on 1/5 to let them know, and they said it was returned to them because they incorrectly input my shipping address. They refunded me for the cost of the item, less shipping ($13.95). I am now fighting with them to get shipping refunded back to me since it was not my fault that the item was damaged or that I never received my replacement. So disappointing, and I will never order from them again.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Nicole! I'd like to look into this for you. It's normally our practice to credit shipping charges in cases such as this. Please send me a private message via Site Jabber or email me directly at jen@uncommongoods.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
chucke8
11/27/17

I called to cancel an order within two hours of placing it online. After being told by customer service that they couldn't find my order, I was placed on hold. The agent then returned on the line and told me the order was cancelled and I would receive an email confirmation the next day and that my card would be refunded. After more than a week, no email and no refund.

So I called again today and was told that they didn't have my order in their system, yet they have charged my card $681.49! As they don't have my information, they can't refund the amount. Can you believe this? The agent finally suggested that maybe my card was scammed - this after I told her I was looking at the transaction on PayPal as we were speaking. In hindsight, she was right. My card was scammed and this company is the scammer. Stay away from Uncommon Goods. They are uncommonly terrible.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We’re so sorry that you didn’t receive an email confirmation that your order was canceled! It’s true that we don’t assign confirmation numbers to canceled orders, but we do (typically) email customers to confirm that we’ve canceled the order. We’ll follow up with the representative who canceled your order to reiterate the importance of this practice.

We voided your transaction in our billing system immediately after canceling the order. It sometimes takes a bit of time for the bank to remove a charge from a customer’s account and sadly, we can’t predict how quickly or slowly a given bank will act. Voiding a transaction tends to speed up the process of getting customers’ funds returned vs. posting a credit. I can confirm that we have not charged you for anything. When a transaction is voided, the charge is simply removed.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you!
kaylab59
11/13/17

I made an online purchase and never received confirmation. I saw a charge on my credit card four days later so I reached out to inquire. They told me I had put in the wrong expiration date. They did nothing to notify me on their end, I only found out when I reached out. Also, I have never had a company put a pending authorization on my card when the information given was incorrect. It was disconcerting. When I did reach out I learned after my items were sold out. Not that I want to shop there anymore, but if I did, how frustrating!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Kayla! I'm sorry for the confusion about your order! We try to make it clear when an order has not been successfully placed but it's evident that we didn't do a good enough job. Please accept our apologies.

When someone attempts to place an order with a retailer, the funds are automatically put in a ‘pending’ status and the amount is put on hold. If the order is successful, the merchant will collect these funds and the purchase amount will be debited from the account. If the order is not successful, the merchant will be unable to collect the funds and the bank will return the funds to the account, typically within 1 to 5 business days. Merchants have some say in which fields to verify. We, for example, choose to verify the billing zip code among other fields. We've found that checking more than one piece of data against the bank's records is a better way to help prevent someone from fraudulently using a customer's card.

I'd be happy to work with you directly to find out when your items will be back in stock and help you get your order placed. I can be reached at jen@uncommongoods.com
maryb488
8/17/17

I have not ordered anything from this company as of yet. I have called five times and spoken with five different people about five different items I would like to have purchased as gifts. Not one person could give me any more information on any item than was already in the catalog. On two occasions I gave my name and phone number and ask to have the owner call me. The first time I received a call from someone I am guessing was a secretary. She said she would get me information on one of the items in which I was interested. She did call me back later in the day but had no more information than what is in the catalog! Their reviews are not good and my gut feeling is not to buy from them.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Mary! Please email me directly so we can work this out together: jen@uncommongoods.com
I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
nickv28
6/12/17

I ordered a Father's Day gift for my dad, to be sent to his address. They sent it to me, at the billing address. I paid $34.82 to have the gift sent Fed Ex so my Dad would get it on time. They offered me a refund on the original $4.95 shipping. I told them to keep their $4.95.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
Hi Nick! Would you mind emailing me directly so I can look into this for you? My email address is jen@uncommongoods.com. I hope to hear from you soon!
hankh16
1/12/17

I ordered a print in early December, it's now mid January and nothing has arrived. No updates from the company. They did however manage to charge my credit card, a charge which I am now disputing. Absolutely the worst experience ever.

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
I'm so sorry for all of this trouble, Hank! I'm happy to look into this for you and see if I can get you some answers if this is still unresolved. I can be reached directly at jen@uncommongoods.com or our customer service team can help you out: help@uncommongoods.com | 888-365-0056
denisem105
1/11/17

Placed an order on December 1 for a personalized custom print. It was to be a Christmas gift for my husband's family. They received someone else's print 2 weeks later. We notified the company immediately and were assured they would correct the problem immediately. We were guaranteed Christmas delivery. Instead, we've spent hours on the phone, sent numerous emails and finally told them we intended to file a complaint with PayPal and the BBB.They even had the audacity to send a shipping label to our family stating they needed to send the mistake back in order to get their print. Apparently the intent was to switch the mistaken print between the 2 families. While I feel badly for the other family, I don't think our gift receipients should be inconvenienced at all! The company charged my PayPal account for $118 very quickly but it took all this time to get what we paid for. Print finally delivered today. We were promised a $25 gift certificate, which we never received. We were refunded $8 shipping for our "trouble" I wish I would have read these reviews before ordering. Never again!!

Response from Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative
We're all so very sorry for all of the effort you've had to go through for your order. Several things went wrong and we feel terrible for our mistakes. I'd love to look into this personally and see if there's anything else that we can do for you. I'd appreciate it if you'd email me at jen@uncommongoods.com so I can locate your order and get to work on this for you. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

We'll email your tracking number on the day the order ships. If you need anything else, please contact our CS team at help@uncommongoods.com

By Jennifer G., Uncommongoods Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Uncommongoods staff and other customers.

Uncommongoods?