Review of Spokeo

support@spokeo.com

10 reviews with 4 stars

kathleenb47
9/14/16

I am in the service and was looking for a trusted site for work related information.I signed up for a free 30 day trial to see if it was what I wanted/needed. I had 1 more day to cancel if I wanted to but on September 11th They took $9.85 out of my account and there is another $19.95 pending. What?! I sent them an email and got nothing in return. I don't understand why is this a scam? I want my money back. Both of the amount's. I still had 1 day to cancel before they started taking unauthorized amount's out of my account. If I don't hear anything in the next 48 hour's I will get a hold of the security officer at my bank and I will call the Better Business Bureau as well as the authorities. Kathleen Barrett. Update. Spoke has taken care of the problem so I have changed my 1 star rating to a 4 star rating. Thank you Spokeo

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Kathleen,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.

jeffw54
10/16/15

I don't understand a lot of the poor reviews here...I have signed-up and canceled several subscriptions with Spokeo over the last few years from 2013 to 2015. Spokeo never charged me anything beyond my initial subscription fee.

If you sign up for a free trial, you must CANCEL your free trail before the trial ends to avoid charges to your credit card.

If you get overcharged or Spokeo keeps charging each month, you can either google the Internet or read Spokeo's responses to poor reviews on this site to get Spokeo's help contact number and call them. Alternatively, you can call your credit card company to dispute and cancel charges by Spokeo.

Each time I subscribed to Spokeo, they had relevant information for the email addresses and name, age and city searches. Of course, for any name, city and age search, Spokeo returns many records for many people. Spokeo may NOT return information for the specific person that you are looking for.

Also, since the Spokeo returns information from public records, the information that Spokeo dislays is only as accurate and current as the information that Spokeo finds in public records. For example, the square footage for my house is incorrect, and my parents who passed years ago are shown as still living.

If someone searches for an email address that you have used for either Facebook or Google Plus, Spokeo will show some information from your accounts. With respect to Google Plus, if you have an active gmail email address with a Google Plus profile page, Spokeo may display photos that you deleted a long time ago from your Google Plus page. When you post an image to your Google Plus page, Google also posts a copy of the image to picasa web albums. However, when you delete an image from your Google page or a community, the copy of the image is retained in Google's picasa web albums. You must logon to to picasa web albums with your gmail email address and also delete the coresponding image from picasa web albums to make sure that the image won't be displayed by Spokeo...Keep in mind that your picasa web albums also store photos that you only shared with yourself. Also, if you delete your gmail email address without first purging the corresponding picasa web album, the images in the picasa web albums will remain intact.

My biggest complaint about Spokeo is that everything is a la carte. Every possible search has a separate price. So, unless you only want one specific search, you are likely to end up paying more than your initial fee.

mikaelm
6/30/15

I cancelled my account on Spokeo after 1 month.
And they still charge me 2 times per month.
I lives in sweden and dont know what too do
best regards
Mikael Marnerg

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mikael,
We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can further assist you with this issue by calling 1-888-906-0850 or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com. We are available from 3:00 AM to 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.
jow19
6/8/15

We had a death in the family and needed a number for a $1.95 I have it. I would give a review score of a five and am not because the delivery of my information required logging on which didn't work therefore I had to call. I got a very helpful spokeo rep. on the phone who delivered my info she was so nice. I will use spokeo again it is worth a buck ninety five for sure. Make sure if you only want one search you don't click on the free monthly trial and then you won't be dealing with credit card issues.

mikev25
7/3/14

This is what I previously wrote about the website:
---------------------------------------------
Not only this website didnt find the number I was looking for, but it kept charging my credit card for the following 3 months. Thank God I checked my statement. Stay away from them. They are a total fraud.
----------------------------------------------------------------
After writing this review I called Spokeo and reported the problem I had to them. That their company kept charging my credit card without my knowledge nor my consent for a service I only used once in the previous 4 months.
The customer representative was very courteous and professional. She explained to me what the problem was and promised me that the company will refund me the money they took from my credit card.
I would like to revise my review and give the company 5/5 stars for their customer service.
However, I would highly encourage the company, since it is an online service, to make the terms more clear to its potential customers.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Mike,
I apologize for the confusion and would be happy to clarify. Spokeo offers several subscription plans at different prices terms. It sounds as though you may have selected a subscription with a renewal cost. These terms are indicated on the purchase page and must be agreed to before a purchase can be made. Again, I apologize if it was unclear in anyway. Please contact our support team at customercare@spokeo.com and we will be happy to look into this matter and assist you.
scottc33
9/11/13

Cool service and cool site!

stevend15
6/22/12

The best news - I got all my money back. Thank you, Spokeo.

previous review was: joined, run searches on well-known to me people - to check if data are correct. got bogus results for 9 out of 10 people. cancelled.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Steven,

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

We would be more than happy to assist you through the refund process, you can simply contact us through our contact page. I have also privately messaged you with further details.

mariec
2/20/11

I actually don't have a problem with spokeo. It has helped me to see which accounts I have at different sites that may be visible to others and to go to those sites and either remove my accounts or make them private.

For self protection I would suggest searching for yourself through name, email and other search options. Then see where you may have public info about yourself and either remove that info or make it private on those sites.

Spokeo can be used to your benefit in some instances like this. It can also be helpful when you are getting unwanted emails, etc...to identify the sender who is offending you.

If you make yourself not visible on spokeo by going through these routes (if this is what you want) it can be a great tool.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Marie,

As you stated, Spokeo is also a great resource for locating old profiles. Many of our users have implemented our service to successfully locate forgotten accounts with various sites, and deleted them. Also, many of our users have had great success in revealing the companies and telemarketers behind unwanted phone calls, and emails.

beckyi
5/17/10

I have used Spokeo once or twice to locate some information on some of my more friends who are more prolific than average on the Internet - think Xanga posts, Amazon shopping lists, and Pandora playlists. The cool thing is, I was able to use Spokeo to figure out a good birthday gift to buy based on the Amazon/Pandora information :)

My boyfriend signed up for a three month subscription to get additional information on some old friends as well. It says on their payment page and the site agreement page (which he had to "check" to verify that he had read it) that the payment is one-time and non-refundable, but that if he canceled before the time was up that he wouldn't have to pay again. He paid around 15 bucks for a three month subscription, canceled it by emailing their customer service with his information, and he was not charged again. I think the problem is that a lot of people don't bother reading some of the information available on these online sites, but they make you read it and agree to it several times here (lol). And there was no recurring fee.

It is a cool site because everyone is online nowadays, using Myspace, Friendster, everything. It also has good features for reverse phone and email search so you can figure out if that shady character who's been private messaging you is really an old college friend or just a nut :P

gregh
1/5/10

It seems ok.

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo