Review of Spokeo

support@spokeo.com

8 reviews with 3 stars

sherrelll
8/5/17

Yesterday, was my first time to try Spokeo for my cheater. The search started out good I did everything right but it didn't find who I was specifically looking for. $1 not bad though.i tried other cheater profile websites before spokeo

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Sheryl,

We’re so sorry to hear that you weren't able to find what you were looking for. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com or by calling 1-888-906-0850 and explain your concerns. Thank you!

ambera32
9/5/16

Went into this thinking that it would give me real information, but it didn't even come close. I get better results just googling information myself. So now I'm out 30 bucks for basically nothing. I would change my review if they offer me a refund or at least try to make it right. There's a lot of missing and/or inaccurate information that a kindergartener can find better... Not worth the price at all. Maybe if it was 99 cents. :/

**Edit** Well I called them and I must say that they did handle my concerns pretty well. They explained to me clearly the fine print. They also offered to do a search for me through the phone. I've cancelled my subscription without any hassle, but I still get to use what I paid for. For that, I'll give them another star. I won't use them again though.

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Amber,

Spokeo People Search allows you to search for anyone by Name, Reverse Email, Reverse Phone or Username. Our database covers a multitude of social networks, public records, marketing lists and more to reveal demographic details, public profiles, etc. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience so we can assist with any questions or concerns you might have.

jamiej35
5/1/16

My Debit card was charged on 3 different occasions, totaling $40.85.

The company is called Spokeo. They're a web based company designed to conduct reverse lookup searches on people. They're website is www.spokeo.com

Transaction as it appears on my Wells Fargo bank statement: RECURRING PAYMENT AUTHORIZED ON 04/22 SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH 800-6994264 CA S306113303286617

If you look on your bank statement, there will be random numbers that appear with the general transaction information. These random numbers aren't so random., they're actually the phone numbers connecting to Spokeo. The numbers start as 1800 (1-800) or just 800. They appear on my statement as 800-6994264, which is phone # 1-800-699-4264.

I called the 800 number and connected to a recording. Press "0" immediately after the recording begins and you will quickly be connect to a live Spokeo representative that will help you with cancelling the account.

The Spokeo representative you speak with will ask you a couple questions that will direct him/her to your account information. They will see detailed information regarding the activity or inactivity on the account in question.

You MUST inform them this is an unauthorized charge and you want the money refunded in full or you will begin with disputing the charges with your bank. Spokeo will refund the money and send you a confirmation number immediately.

If you claim these charges are unauthorized by you, the cardholder, the Spokeo representative has no other option but to refund your money. The last problem an online company wants to deal with is your banks legal department contacting them and throwing around words like "fraud" and "Better Business Bureau complaint".

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Spokeo Customer,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with this feedback! We want your experience with Spokeo to be a positive one. Please feel free to contact a member of our Customer Care team if you have any further questions or concerns! They can be reached at 888-906-0850, or CustomerCare@spokeo.com.
lynnd42
4/12/16

I did a $.95 search and ended up being billed for $19.95 for a Premium non refundable subscription for one month...Stay away from this company.

Update: Spokeo Refunded my $19.95 but They did not do so until I left a bad review. When I first called just hours after I was billed, I was told there would be no refund. But I will give them credit for resolving the issue...

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Lynn,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding and certainly wish to help resolve the issue. When you signed up you selected our Single Search with Premium Trial plan, which provided you with an initial $0.95 Single Record as well as additional free Premium access for 7 days. As long as the trial is cancelled within 7 days, the account does not continue. Because your trial was not disabled within 7 days, a recurring subscription fee began to charge. Accounts of this type automatically renew if left active to prevent any service interruption. We try to make this very clear by detailing this on our payment page, including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

christopherv15
11/17/15

So lets start at the beginning. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine needed some information on someone so i went on this site and payed about one dollar for the search. The search provided me no extra information than what the free information provided. That's not the bad part though, About a week later I found a 20 dollar charge from Spokeo on my bank account. I immediately contacted support requesting a refund and asking what this charge was about. Apparently when i payed one dollar for that one search the site also signed me up for a monthly 20 dollar subscription. It did not clearly state that i was signing up for a subscription and I did not want or need the subscription, not to mention that i could not afford it. simple, just ask for a refund right? WRONG they told me that they could not issue a refund because I gave my consent and it was an auto payment. This started to anger me very much, It BARELY told me that i was signing up, if it did i would have canceled it. I've seen sites do that before, kind of a way of tricking the consumer. However, any other sites would have refunded me but not Spokeo, they refused to refund me, The charge was even still processing when I contacted them. I understand that if i physically gave my consent to sign up then it is my fault. But I did not want the subscription and If it was explained that i was signing up at all then it was probably some fine print at the bottom of the page. Even so, I should have received a refund and I am extremely upset with this entire situation. Not to mention the customer support took 3 days to respond (estimated 1-2 days). I will never do business with Spokeo again and would advise that anyone else follow.

-Edit 11/18/2015. After not giving up and emailing spokeo back they properly issued me a full refund without any questions. Due to the refund I have a small bit of respect for the company since they did in fact refund me. I advise that if anyone has the issue i have had above, Please don't give up because it was not your fault and once spokeo understands that point they will refund you. 1 Star changed to 3 stars for Support

tabathac
10/10/15

It ok

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Tabatha,

We’re so sorry to hear that you weren't able to find what you were looking for. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so our data reflects that of the original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and the data should only be used as a reference. We are, however, constantly working to expand and improve the data available on on our site. We want to make sure that you are helped, so please contact our Customer Care team at CustomerCare@spokeo.com.

commonsenseu
5/7/13

I was reading some of these reviews. I am younger than most of you and I know better.to read the fine print. and read the writing next to the check box that says that you agree. You don't have to read the whole thing just scan through it. If people actually gave it a quick scan to the fine print they would of caught the total price. you can't blame the site just yourselves. 1) sites like spokeo are allowed to display public information only if you are looking for a full well detailed report then you should be realistic before purchasing a membership with them.

shannonh8
4/30/13

This site is kinda scary! I tried to remove myself, but it didn't work. I don't like the idea that people can find info about me. Another good reason to never share your full name with a stranger!!

Response from Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Dear Shannon,

At Spokeo, we take your privacy concerns seriously. While our search results show only publicly-accessible information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more, we understand that you are concerned about the information shown in our search results, and allow all users to opt out. This can be done by clicking on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page. Once on this page, please click on our "Opt-Out Form" located at the bottom of the page which will take you here: http://www.spokeo.com/optout

To Remove Phone/Name/Email/Username Listings:
1. Locate the listing you want removed by clicking on the exact profile based on the physical address
2. Copy the URL (please see under Troubleshooting, Incorrect URL for more on obtaining the correct URL)
3. Click on the Privacy link located in the bottom of our home page and click on the "Opt-Out Form" which will direct you here: http://www.spokeo.com/optout
4. Paste the URL
5. Provide your email address (this acts as a verification process for the confirmation to be sent to your Inbox)
6. Type in the Captcha Code (type the code exactly as you see it)
7. Check your Inbox for the confirmation email, and click on the link at the bottom to complete the removal process.

If you encounter any difficulties, we can also help you remove the listing(s) here via email at privacy@spokeo.com if you provide the details of the listing(s). To ensure that we do so accurately, please kindly provide the URL of the listing(s) you wish to remove.

How To Obtain The URL:

The URL can be found in the address bar located at the top of your browser. For Name Listings, make sure you locate the profile by narrowing the city and state and clicking on the exact profile. The URL should look like one of these examples:

Name Listing: http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=John+Doe#California:1234567890
Phone Listing: http://www.spokeo.com/reverse-phone-lookup/search?p=2345678901
Email Listing: http://www.spokeo.com/email-search/search?e=johndoe@email.com
Username Listing: http://www.spokeo.com/username-search/search?u=johndoeIf you are encountering difficulties, feel free to email the URL(s) of the listing(s) that you'd like removed, and we'll be happy to assist.

Spokeo

Watch for the $20 charge at the end of the month. They say a person is out, then the charge comes a month later. Had to cancel my card and get new # to keep them out of my wallet.

By Rich C.

inform your visa provider,they should stop the payments and get you a refund from when you cancelled the account.It worked for me as visa said they had numerous complaints about Spokeo.Hope you sort it out!

By frank b.

I cancelled Spokeo service due to selling me misinformation or inaccurate information. I got this in writing from David at Spokeo. They are good about sending a letter about we are sorry about not meeting your expectations. Our terms of use states we can do this blah blah blah. After I cancelled this subscription and got this in writing from David, I got a new debit card from my bank. Spokeo found the NEW CARD and charged it. I took the problem to my bank and got a credit. Be very careful of these people, watch your bank statements.

By John H.

By Rich C.

Call them and cancel asap

By Erica k.

By Rich C.

When you sign up for the special you are also signing up for a biz site. If you cancel Spokeo you must cancel both.

By Jim R.

Elias, query "spokeo lawsuits" on google. There have been numerous cases on this group. Spokeo..........if you are reading these complaints, I am wondering how you manage to get around the charge backs and still have a credit card company that works with you.

By John H.

Hello Darlene, I understand your concern and wish to assist in resolving this matter. Please allow me to explain about Spokeo. We are a search engine that specializes in finding people. Many of our customers have had the opportunity to reunite with lost family, friends, and loved ones, and that is something we are proud to be a part of. Our information comes from various sources located within the Public Domain such as public record data, surveys, and social data (that has not been deemed private). Spokeo makes this information more easily accessible for people to research themselves or others, and sometimes that information is not always up to date. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding, and any inconvenience this experience has caused. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 888-906-0850, or via email at CustomerCare@spokeo.com should you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue. All the best, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative

Dear Frederick, Thank you for reaching out to us. For questions regarding your Spokeo Subscription, please contact a member of our Customer Care team by calling 888-906-0850 at your earliest convenience. We are available 24/7 and happy to help with any questions or concerns you might have. Sincerely, Spokeo Customer Care

By Spokeo I., Spokeo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Spokeo staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Spokeo