Review of snopes.com

onlineservice@maurices.com

21 reviews with 5 stars

terric26
1/12/16

Is Publisher's Clearing House real?

josephl36
5/15/14

This is probably my favorite site. I love posting a link debunking a Facebook friend's repost whenever possible, but on a serious note, this place is extremely informative and I'm a fan of how easy it is to find what you're looking for.

linday6
11/29/13

If you are on Facebook, this site is indispensable. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been able to go to this site to quickly debunk some nonsense being spread around by gullible friends, with just a few clicks and a copy/paste. It's amazing what people will believe, even some folks that I thought were pretty savvy.

leisad
3/25/13

always get good information from this site. I love it.

richarda13
2/24/13

I have always checked Snopes instantly upon receiving any email which urges me to send it on to all my friends. That is the big red flag. Invariably these chain emails do turn out to be hoaxes.

One of the stupidest hoax recommendations: Everyone should drink 8 glasses of water per day. The history of this stupidity comes from the dropping off from a government recommendation of the all-crucial statement: "Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods" and propagation of the error in Dr. Erwin Stillman's publication in 1967, the Doctors Quick Weight Loss Diet, which sold 12 million copies, apparently without being factually checked. A book by a "Doctor", with its gross error, tends to be trusted by 12 million naive readers. For further details read: http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/howmuchwater.htm .

BTW, there is one exceptional condition when drinking enough water on a regular basis may have very real medical value. I am told by a good friend that he totally stopped his frequent incidence of kidney stones by continuously drinking enough water. He claims that, in his particular case, this prevents the seeding of the crystals which lead to the kidney stones. That, to me, is a plausible mechanism. Comments from others on this subject are invited.

jessies25
1/17/13

Snopes.com is the first place I look when my MIL or aunt forward me multicolored, badly formatted email rants/poems/quotes. They have saved me from looking foolish several times, when I was lucky enough to think of checking Snopes before passing along some sketchy information. The site is well-written, with an old school design, easy to navigate, and they've proved themselves worthy of being the internet's official "stamp of approval" on urban legends and rumors.

billb41
10/18/12

Excellent in every way and highly recommended.
The Snopes team are very thorough in their research and the site is comprehensive with regard to the range of subjects they cover.
Very useful to check out before passing on plausible sounding emails that are actually hoaxes and scams that are often forwarded by well meaning, but undiscerning friends and colleagues.

delias3
10/7/12

This is a great site to get the real scoop. Info is fabulous here and most always a great read.

chriss94
10/3/12

I made everyone in my family bookmark this site before contacting me about anything they saw in an email or heard on facebook....I don't try and tell them not to believe everything they hear....I now just send them a snopes link.

robertm66
7/27/12

Excellent source for debunking rumors and accusations that ciculate throughout the web.

naomih3
5/3/12

I receive LOTS of bogus/hoax e-mails passed along by well-meaning people who don't realizing they are spreading disinformation and sometimes hate. I always check with SNOPES to get the real scoop and am always amazed by the depth of information they provide.

paulr33
2/13/12

With a resource such as this one available, you really have to wonder how so many people can believe so much of the unmitigated BS they receive in their email boxes.
This site lets us sort out the facts from the crap with a couple of clicks of the mouse. I wish ALL of my email correspondents would make a habit of using it BEFORE they send me the fundamentally stupid and totally inaccurate propaganda they use to advance some of their foolish beliefs.

lisaf12
12/21/11

Love Snopes! How did we ever debug silly rumours before Snopes. With all the misinformation that circulates on the internet it's nice to know there is a reliable source where you can get the straight up facts.

joano2
7/21/11

Snopes is a must read before forwarding any of those "send to all your friends" emails!

laurat6
5/11/11

Great info for debunking myths.

noneyab
3/15/11

This has got to be the number one best pass time site, ever! I love reading the daily odd news and just picking a category each day to rummage through. I think I learned more from snopes than from 4 years of high school, lol.

tiaw
7/13/10

Not only has snopes.com proved to be accurate time and again re: email hoaxes, I have recently discovered it holds true for text msg hoaxes as well. While no site is perfect, this is a great starting point for researching these "warnings" before you pass them on...

edwardk
3/27/09

mythpro - this is an awesome website, i love the legends and myths that are proven true or false it overall a fun site to surf................

julieh
3/24/09

great - This website is great and has a lot of good information. I think it is a very good website and I use it a lot.

roryn
3/23/09

greatness - this website is awesome! it has great pics of all the legends and things you wouldnt think were real.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the snopes.com staff and other customers.

snopes.com?