Review of snopes.com

7/12/14

xoool

solb1
8/18/11

Great site for finding out the truth about popular emails, legends, viruses, etc. But just because Snopes says something doesn't make it true!

The bad - popups and banners and flash ads oh my!

haroldg
6/14/11

Lots of good info; they seem to have the largest collection of internet hoaxes of any site I've seen. It's just too bad it's so heavily loaded with advertisements; I'd recommend using an ad blocking extension.

keythr
1/27/11

One to keep on your bookmark list when I get an urgent appeal to forward this email virus warning to all my friends / heartbreaking charity appeal / miraculous occurrence / evidence of mass government conspiracy / piece of news that is unusual / scandalous / embarrassing to the subject it is usually worth a couple of seconds checking the story on http://www.snopes.com/ the best urban legend myth buster on the internet. It also helps in flagging the true stories which virus warnings you should be paying attention to And if you're bored, a quick surf on snopes will always bring up some bizarre story to amuse you.

nelsonb
6/22/10

Don't you just love to get those emails from well-meaning friends who want to warn you about some dire internet-or-email-related danger AND PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!

Whenever I get an email that wants me to forward it to everyone in my address book, I copy a unique phrase from the text of the message and head straight to snopes.com and paste it in the search field.

Never, ever, in many years, has it not been a hoax. Or, let me say it this way: it has ALWAYS been a hoax.

I also check with snopes.com whenever I get a message or read of something that seems dubious, apocryphal or somehow "too good or too bad to be true." These have also almost always turned out to be hoaxes and urban legends.

So, dear reader, I recommend snopes.com to you, but, for all of its practical value to internet culture, I'm afraid I have to temper my recommendation just a wee bit -- it is rife with obnoxious flashing and frenetic animated ads and even popups. So on that account, be warned.

Bottom line: for the service it provides, I hold just my nose and use it whenever circumstances require.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the snopes.com staff and other customers.

snopes.com?