Review of RentalCars.com

Tel: 1465368706297
peterrooney@rentalcars.com

carolc72
5/3/16

I rented a car for week in St Thomas, USVI through Rentalcars.com with Budget, prepaying $289. The Budget car and service was fine, however only $234 was credited, a discrepancy of $55. It's difficult to contact Rentalcars.com- email forms and phone calls. The end result after much time wasted waiting, was that I am out the $55. They say no service fees are charged, but they clearly are not remitting the full prepaid amount to the actual car rental company. Stay away from this outfit!

camilab4
5/2/16

I rented a car from Enterprise but I had to cancel and I got the extra coverage for a week total of $63 and I didn't even rent the car and they charged me anyway and what makes me so angry is that only now I realized the DONT EVEN HAVE A COSTUMER SERVICE! That is so absurd!!!! I so wish I could put a lawer on them!

Tip for consumers: DONT USE IT!

patrickw57
4/27/16

Rentalcars.com is a complete rip-off. I booked an Avis rental car through them for a Costa Rica trip. I followed all the requirements including having a letter from my bank confirming that I had rental car insurance coverage with my credit card. When I arrived, Avis wouldn't accept the letter saying that since I booked through a 3rd party, I had to pay for their coverage (an additional $152 for the week).

The rental was fine and I got it dropped off; Avis handed me a receipt and said everything was fine. When I got home, I went through my bank statement and saw that Avis had also charged me for the car ( I was charged by Rentalcars.com when I booked online). I corresponded with Rentalcars.com about both the over-charge and the double charge. They said they could help with insurance issue, because I signed the Avis rental agreement (what else was I supposed to do?). It's now been over 2 months and they won't address the double charge. I had to file a dispute with my bank. I'll never use these guys again.

jp152
4/5/16

I rented a car for a month and then returned it after one day because I found a car several classes higher for 500 dollars less! But what I didn't know is, they won't return ONE penny of my month long rental. SO I ended up renting a car from them for ONE DAY for 1350 USD!!

They claim their policy is online and clear but I couldn't find it. They sent it to me. If you return your car before the deadline you give them they don't return ANY MONEY. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!! They over charge then KEEP your money. SCAM. I hope they go broke!

erikas26
3/26/16

My reservation was not honored. This company would not refund my charge for. Reservation that never was conformed to me and they alleged that they send it I I never took the reservation. They charged me $345 for a rental car in San Juan Puerto Rico that never was confirmed to me and never received an confirmations smIl, and they can't proof that they did. Never use this company. They are not reliable and will steal your money by saying even though you didn't get the product, the charges are non-refundable.

karenw123
3/26/16

(1) My reservation was not honored. (2) This company would not refund my prepaid charge. (3) Their customer service is horrible. (4) This company tried to charge me for insurance on a car I never received (see #1) and turned getting a refund into a nightmare of rude customer service reps, hang-ups, long waits on hold, and numerous transfers. Never use this company. They are not reliable and will steal your money by saying the charges are non-refundable, even though you didn't get the product.

mattm17
3/16/16

We booked a rental car through this website, came at the airport, the rental agency didn't have a car in the size we booked and didn't want to give an upgrade or so. We had to book at the rental agency and did not receive our money back. Completely unreliable!!!

albertb59
3/11/16

They are very able to explain in a way that is ambiguous and hard to detect what you will be really charged. Maybe this is legal, but people are induced to believe that they will pay less than the real

jacquesd8
3/8/16

Never order from them without verifying to which car rental cy they subcontract.
I paid 147 to Rentalcars for 2 weeks and they subcontracted to Centauro in Malaga. Centauro proposed me a full insurance for 228 (150% of the rental cost) that I refused. Inspecting the car before departure, I discovered 3 defects (one was highly legible) not recorded on the printed contract. When I came back, they discovered a scratch that I did not find initially and after 10 minutes discussion with their representative, he agreed to not charge back anything, signed my original contract with the date (8 March), his signature and an OK. Back at home, I found contrarily to their signature they picked up 250 on my credit card plus 25 for fuel service although I came back with a full tank. My complaint to them and to Rentalcars while providing my document with the OK on it was unuseful. Concerning Rentalcars, although I demonstrated to them the justifications of Centauro were either false or not exact, they did not care about my arguments. Concerning Centauro, in addition to the fact they give you a car with hidden defects not recorded by them, they very often use the same credit card charge procedure without advising you with a lot of their customers. If you don't believe me, then look at the following web site and some of the 218 reviews: http://www.reviewcentre.com/Car-Hire/Centauro-Rent-A-Car--review_4138633

juliaa24
3/7/16

Not even try to think of booking a car through theyr company as u will be charged more than double.
Theyr stuff are really unpolite and bad customer service.we never took the car..and we havent received the money back!!!!!

julioa10
2/27/16

In December 12, 2015 RENTALCARS.COM accepted my reservation request (Booking Reference Number: 359508952), which presupposes not only the existence of the offered vehicle as well as its availability for the requested period (Dec 26 to Jan2).
At time of booking I made an advance payment of the fees ($ 361.00), which was immediately charged in my credit card.
Before the trip, I received a number of messages with the offer of an "upgrade" to change the car reservation for a bigger car which, consequently, would make me incur in greater expense. This fact (upgrade offers) , incidentally, presupposed the existence and availability not only of the vehicle reserved by me but also other vehicles availability, ie this insistent offer presupposed the existence and availability of even more vehicles for the period.
By the pick-up day and time of the reserved vehicle (Saturday night 7pm), I was told by Hertz employee that there were no vehicles available (??????). As absurd as this fact (shortage of vehicles even reserved and prepaid) is the non-receipt of any prior notice by RENTALCARS.COM or HERTZ; so that we could prepare ourselves for changing our vacation plans.
Well, I and other customers were waiting for the manager and, as she did not come, we went to meet him at the airport garage HERTZ facilities. The manager reported that customers had not returned already rented vehicles and that we should come back the next day (Monday Dec 28). So, after several hours spent in waiting and arguments, I had no other alternative than taking a taxi to my destination (Hotel Gran Melia - Rio Grande ); 19 miles far from the airport. I was supposed to have a happy dinner with my family in the way, but we have a late and expensive dinner in the hotel.
The next day (Sunday) I called HERTZ Puerto Rico and was informed of the lack of vehicles available in Puerto Rico not only that day but also there would be no vehicles available until the weekend (when I was supposed to drop off the car). I tried to call HERTZ customer services, but it only works in business days ().
In sequence called RENTALCARS.COM and the clerk also emphasized the inexistence of any rental vehicles in Puerto Rico and, as an alternative, commented that I could book any vehicle, anywhere and excessive price would be refunded for you. The next day (Sunday Dec. 29), I called several local vehicles car rentals, which had no vehicles available until the next weekend. In sequence, I called RENTALCARS.COM again and the clerk apologized and said he had nothing to do. So, I said I would keep try to have my vacation trip as possible and, further, draw and present a travel report with my transportation spending and would wait for its evaluation.

I like to show my displeasure and to stress that RENTALCARS.COM and HERTZ have destroyed my vacation plan. In planning my vacation, I had the option (1) to stay in San Juan and make short taxi trips and sightseeing in group tours (excursions) or (2) book a resort and rent a car to travel around.
I decided for the second option and I booked a more comfortable and expensive hotel outside the capital (Gran Melia Rio Grande) counting on the rental vehicle, just to easily move me around the island without getting stuck in the metropolitan traffic and do not incur costs with parking; thus having more schedule time flexibility for tourism and shopping.
In addition, the rented vehicle would enable me to save some money by reducing costs as the room I had booked has kitchen; which would enable me to make breakfasts and quick meals with purchased food a grocery store.
Still, the vehicle would enable me to make main meals outside the hotel, which, as I have mentioned, is a hotel with international cuisine restaurants and highly expensive.
Lack of vehicle also spoiled my plans to meet the islands of Culebra and Vieques; also, limited my visit to El Yunque forest and the historical district of San Juan (Old San Juan).
As a result of the frustrated rental:
I got stuck in the hotel more than I supposed to so, I incurred in higher food costs and had my food options limited;
Year-end party not enjoyed - as I thought I would have had a vehicle, I have not booked me and my family participation in the Meliá year-end party; so we were out of the party with no options as the hotel is a resort some miles far from safe places (...);
My mobility was more limited and more expensive as stuck in a resort, there were not so many taxis and thereby I incurred in large waiting time for getting back and forth;
I could not go to tourist spots - could not book groups (excursions) to certain sights and for that I was, I was limited by the duration and path, which was not part of my plans;
Unexpected costs Due to the frustrated rental, I had to make several international phone calls I not expected to make.
I could not shop effectively supermarket - with already commented, was part of my vacation plan save on quick meals and breakfast; although used taxi to go to the market to shop, it was highly uncomfortable.
In short, it make me feel disrespected as I was clearly put aside for providing other client that should have paid a fare higher than me. I am my family are extremely disappointed with RENTALCARS.COM and HERTZ.
After coming back home, I present a claim to RENTALCARS.COM to reimburse the fees for the car I was not provided along with the unexpected expenses I had to bear due to fail in providing me a car. RENTALCARS.COM said it would discuss with HERTZ and, believe, RENTALCARS.COM is not responding my messages.
Think before using RENTALCARS.COM and HERTZ because they may not only fail in providing you a car, but also do not reimburse prepaid fees and expenses. I have been stolen and cheated!

emsk
2/25/16

I booked a car through the website for my boss to pick up in Melbourne from the Thrifty car rental desk at the airport. First of all, the website charged $79 for full protection, not mentioning that the same full protection option could be purchased at the rental desk for $30! Once there, my boss calls to say the website had never emailed him the confirmation - thankfully I had kept the booking tab on my browser open so I was able to give him the reference (and I read on that page that a confirmation email would be sent to the given address, bu t it never was!). My boss then tells me that the full protection from Thrifty is much cheaper and asks me to call rentalcars.com to cancel the $79 protection purchase. I call and I'm kept on hold for so long that he was forced to leave - the Thrifty desk says that he can get the protection from them and ask for a refund from the website after, as long as he has the receipt from Thrifty saying detailing his purchase.
Today I try to get in touch with Rentalcars.com, using the after sales phone option - I was on hold for OVER AN HOUR! I finally give up and call the sales phone option (because of course they'll pick that one up) - and I got some mouthy kid telling me there's nothing they can do about the full protection purchase because as far as they are concerned, it's been used. He proceeds to tell me I should have called on the day at the time this was happening to get it cancelled and it doesn't seem to matter that I had tried that but was on hold for so long that my boss could no longer wait!
Horrible service, overpriced and just plain unreliable! I'll never be using their services again and recommend no one else does either!

arnov
2/23/16

rentalcars.com stole money out of my account the day after i payed for my car
contacted them about it , they took more than 2x my car rental and i have the transcript of them telling me they will refund me the cash they took illegally .
only paid back 50% and kept the rest , now they dont communicate back at all
Contacting my bank's fraud division.
Do NOT rent from this company

jonnyg4
2/9/16

After my flight arrived 30 minutes late to Puerto Vallarta airport in the middle of the night, i find the car rental place that was supposed to have my car is closed so now I have to take a taxi to the hotel.
The next morning I call the phone number on the rentalcars booking printout to make sure I can pickup the car, I get a new confirmation number to take to the car place so I take a taxi back to find that my booking have been cancelled and the new confirmation number does not work.

I am staying in PV for three weeks and need a car for my plans otherwise my vacation is completely spoiled. The only option for me is to rent "another" car for more than twice the price than the car I booked with rentalcars.com. I contact rentalcars for a refund and the extra cost of the car I had to rent. They contact me 5 weeks later and proudly announce that they will now refund my initial cost but that they can not do anything about the extra cost incurred.

They made me chase my car for one day, incurring massive inconvenience, extra costs for taxi, and an additional 500 USD that I had to pay for the other car and made no effort whatsoever to make good on their commitment.

Please use another service if you want to make sure this does not happen to you.

chrisc222
1/25/16

These guys are the kings of fine print and burring conditions where they should be clearly listed! Our credit card company had to find the no deposit refund clause. My new rule of thumb for car rentals is don't give your credit card until you are picking up your car.

sandrab88
1/21/16

This company charged my credit card 2 days before even trying to pick up the car.
The voucher was not usable at the rental facility, hense we had no car.
We were forced to rent from another company (Avis) which was fine.
A month later they are still trying to rip me off for $829.79

peterl107
1/18/16

A total rip off. Do not use them. I cancelled at the airport when I found out all the extra hidden charges, was cheaper to cancel and take the loss than pay anymore. DO NOT USE!

richardr97
1/8/16

I had booked online a rental car for the Christmas/New Year Holiday 2016 in Puerto Rico. Having arrived at San Juan Airport, the car rental company said that our car "did not exist" - as our plane had arrived late. Yes, the plane was delayed, but the car reservation was never cancelled and had been reserved for 9 days ! The company "Sold" our rental car to other customers - . Thanks to rentalcars we stood at the airport at 1.30 AM with no transportation and had to pay 3 x the price > 110 dollars/day to even get one of the last rental cars from Alamo. Rentalcars emailed that they "apologize for the inconvenience" and will refund the money. We will never ever use this company again and neither should you.

dominiqued10
1/5/16

I rented online, once at Europcar to pick up the rental car, I was hit with a 70 and some euros fee for picking up the car at the train station!!!!! All this was written in small print of course and not brought up to the customer's attention until you have to pay the bill at the rental place. By the way, there goes the savings!!! It has costed me the same amount as if I had booked directly from Europcar!

coinsd
1/3/16

This company is a fraud, they limit the km but they do not say it clearly, you need to find this information hidden in the terms of use. So, I needed to pay the price in double for Hertz to extend to unlimited km. Also, the security deposit is huge, much more than usual.

oriolt
12/10/15

Beware of this bunch of big sons of a $#*! !
Once you have made the payment for the car and you go to pick it up in the car office (In my case, FRANKFURT AIRPORT) they will make you to purchase an insurance or will try to make you pay extra money without any explanation. BE VERY AWARE OF THOSE MOTHER$#*!ERS, they are professional robbers.
Never again !

Tip for consumers: AVOID THIS COMPANY

taniam5
12/2/15

After googling online cheap car rental companies in Canberra/Sydney Australia....rentalcars.com came up. Do not use this company... based in the UK, 3rd party agents for car rentals companies in Australia. After reading the fine print., there is an automatic $80AUD cancellation fee. $3000 - $3300 deposit/excess holding bond even with car insurance included. And then I find out the car insurance policy covers them...rentalcars.com??? If I wanted to take out car insurance with the actual car rental company in Sydney thats another cost on top. I also emailed the car rental company in Sydney and asked them what their holding deposit was...$1000 only?? Going back to www.rentalcars.com they insisted bond was $3000-$3300 was clients charge and correct. THEN when you think thats the final cost you get hit with overseas transaction fees??.....Of course I cancelled my booking now I am chasing the rest of my refund, partial payment received and still waiting for the rest. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY....ITS MORE TROUBLE THAN WHAT ITS WORTH...PS...address details below: :)

Reservations Department - rentalcars.com
UK
e: reservations-uk@rentalcars.com

nealg14
11/13/15

Cancelled flight, then delayed flight Show up to rental counter to pick up my prepaid car through rentalcars.com. Counter is closed.

Ask for a refund. No brainer right? This is the travel industry we are talking about. Delays happen right?

Well, according to this joke of a company, I broke my contract by not showing up on time so there will be no refund.

This is stealing and criminal.

Make sure to rate them on Trustpilot as that's the source they use for their website where they say how great they are.

Otherwise, DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER use rentalcars.com!!! Unless you like getting ripped off that is.

The picture below shows the empty Alamo counter where I was supposed to pick up my car, prepaid at rentalcars.com

Tip for consumers: Unless you can guarantee that your flight will be on time, every time, don't waste your time by using this company. They hide behind terms that only allow them to steal your money when they don't deliver what they promised.

jeffb110
11/2/15

Online car rental broker Rentalcars.com, a British company, quotes the lowest prices online because they are not upfront about the additional fees you'll have to pay on the back end. The "Total Price" quoted online, the "Total Price" listed on your booking confirmation, and the "Total Price" receipt that they email you are all the same amount, but that price is nonsense. It's absolutely not the "Total Price" you'll end up paying and there's not a word about additional charges, which would at least give you a heads-up. In my case the "Total Price" quoted online and emailed to me twice by Rentalcars.com for a car from EuropCar Heathrow London was $159.78. The actual final cost was $362.47, which is an ADDITIONAL 144% !!

Today, the extremely rude Rentalcars.com "customer service" rep, who constantly cut me off in the middle of my sentences, finally admitted that the "Total Price" listed in those three places is the "total price payable to rentalcars.com, and doesn't include additional charges payable directly to the rental car company", and that I should have taken the opportunity to read more (the fine print) by clicking on 'Manage My Booking'. Due to strong US laws, Americans generally trust that when a seller tells you this is the "Total Price", that means what it says. By not revealing the dirty secret in the actual documents they send you they are, by US Consumer laws at least, dishonest and they could be prosecuted for such. Unfortunately for Americans, they're untouchable in the UK courts unless you want to spend a lot of money.

matthewc62
10/28/15

I agree with the advice below, RENTALCAR.COM are basically an agent and are not a member of the BVRLA (British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association). Like others I thought the fee charged was good value including the charge for vehicle cover etc. When I arrived at the hire company supplier EASIRENT (whom I would also avoid as they provided a car that had mechanical issues and despite promises over the four day hire was not replaced) I was charged an additional £120 for the same cover. My advice stick to the big companies, as in the end the cost was roughly the same.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Took their bait of "Free Cancellation" and made a reservation then found that the coverage they were including for Iceland was bare bones. Found that for the same cost other rental car companies in Iceland include CDW so cancelled my reservation to get an email back that my deposit had been 'forfeited'. So beware "Free cancellation" is a bait and forfeiture will be the switch if you cancel. If you don't cancel your cost for CDW could double your cost. Then you can also imagine the CDW that a sneaky and scammy outfit would provide you. To carry your own CDW for any car rental I recommend the coverage provided by Allianz. I found them under my AAA membership. Go to aaa.com then look under Travel > Travel & Trip Insurance. Currently the per day cost for 40K USD covergae is $9.

By A M.

I totally agree and I also mentioned the same in my review but the 1 thing I always wonder that when you search for the rental cars, this company appeared with 4 star ratings. It seemed that this company is so CROOKED THAT THEY EVEN TEMPERED THE RATINGS AS WELL.

By Javed W.

Stay away, if something goes wrong and you cannot pick up the car, they will keep your money. All of it.

By Norman N.

John P Mate I was unfortunate enough to contact these Criminals and pay them money I have nothing to do with them and am simply warning other people not to be fooled by them and to loose therehard earned money. Take up your complains with Rental car. Com if you want to f and blind direct it to them. I understand the frustration with this company. Steven P thank you for your response to John P What a world!!!

By Jean l.

By Xophe X.

Questions? Get answers from the RentalCars.com staff and other customers.

RentalCars.com?