Review of Remote

Burlingame, California 94010, United States

6 reviews with 1 star

scottk205
6/14/18

They sent an email to all my contacts without my permission. I am outraged!! I immediately deleted the account. FRAUD!

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Hello,

We apologize if there was any miscommunication, however, I can assure you that we only send invites once the user has authorized this action. Otherwise we do not have a way of contacting any one in your network.

Remote Support Team
camerons48
5/7/18

They abused my data to promote their platform, never got permission but sent out an email to 900 of my contacts using my name. I hope they get the corporate death penalty and have to go back to skimming credit cards.

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Hello,

We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding, invites to join are only sent when the user selects to do so. Users who wish to not send invites are able to skip this step. We are however having an engineer look into this.

I would also like to clarify that we have never skimmed credit cards, and as most users know, our service is largely free.

Also, did you contact support directly regarding this matter? We do have tech support easily available.

Remote Support Team
chromiec
2/13/18

remote.com is using the old cunning trick that linkedin has abandoned to expand their user pool. When you first sign up, it will ask you to import your linkedin contact. And if you do so, it will send an email to ALL of your contact, saying that YOU want to invite them to join remote.com.

In facet, it is not 1 email to each of your contact, its 3 emails, all using your name.

Those uniform 5 star reviews are probably fake, as those reviewers are with short history

Be cautious!

======
update: Remote.com has replied to me promptly and the communication is very pleasant. However, I contacted the person they gave me to delete my account, and was told it will be removed soon. Still nothing happened yet.

Also I have further requested them to specify where the authorization locates, no replies yet.

I hope it's their interface design failure, rather than a purposely manipulation.
=======
update:

20 days later, my account is still there.
I have deleted all of my photo, info, and changed my signatures into something like "be cautious of this spammer".
And they harassed my friends with a couple of more invitations, all using my original information (My personal photo and info from linkedin).

Truly beyond my imagination.

========
update March 7 2018:
Hi Crystal,

Thanks for replying to me.

"I did follow up with you via dm here yet you failed to contact us directly to further assist you."

1. I have replied to your sitejabber message the same day you wrote to me, requesting further information. I have not received any reply yet.

2. I didn't send to your email to have my account removed because Vanessa sent me an email on Feb 13 saying she will have my account removed soon. On Feb 19 I found my account was still there, so I wrote to her an email requesting the removal again. Today (March 7) my account is still there. Unless you are saying you are only one from remote.com who will actually do the job, it shouldn't be considered as 'failed to contact you directly'.

"When any users follows up with us directly we are able to assist immediately, furthermore, you are able to unsubscribe in the account."

Yes. I got an immediate response and promise, and it was not yet fulfilled after 3 weeks.

"As for sending any emails, we do not harass any users, that is a severe and false claim."

I have a second Linkedin account as a 'friend' of my primary Linkedin account, the one I allow remote.com to import contacts with. So whatever action remote.com take, I can see from my second account.

On Feb 19 the second account received 2 more invitation email from my remote.com account that was promised 'to be removed soon' on Feb 13. At that time, I have deleted all my personal information on remote.com, yet my photo and original information was used on the advertisement email.

"Also, we would not have any of your Linkedin information had you not selected to import it and and invite your contacts. It is clearly delineated in the on boarding process. "

If the UI/UX designer is not asked to design the interface in a vague/eluding way purposely, s/he might want to review the textbook on the chapters of constrains and mapping, as it has certainly caused pitfalls that many user fell into and complained about. Users should be better informed of the consequence of importing linkedin contact.

"Finally, it is a wrong to profess with any degree of certainty that any of these reviews are false."
1. Everyone has the right to question if a review is from a ghostwriter who got paid to post good/bad online comments. You can question me.
2. I am thinking remote.com might be a good product in other aspects, but for contact importation itself, it is not user-friendly, and the customer service has failed to resolve the situation in a timely manner. Remote.com has caused me a lot of inconvenience, I felt obliged to prevent others from falling into the same pitfalls.
3. I am actually glad that you revealed certain anger in the reply. It indicates the company probably didn't intend this (at least you seem to believe so).
4. Thanks for replying to my message. Appreciate the response. It shows at least the company cares.

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Update:
Hi,

Hello,

We do apologize if there was any confusion in selecting to invite your contacts to join Remote.com, we do have a clear option to invite or to skip the invite process.

I have also I have provided you with a direct contact at Remote.com to have your account removed if that is what you wish.

charliev15
2/13/18

Cannot seem to get them out of my inbox no matter how hard I try. I was signed up without my knowledge, and I get daily emails no matter what.

Thank god new GDPR rules are coming in, so they can get their 20 million euro fine for misuse of information.

Tip for consumers: My tip for people thinking of using this site is: don't. Don't give them the revenue they need to keep running their business.

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Hello,

This is a follow up to the previous comment I had sent you, I had also messaged you privately to which you did not respond.

I do want to clarify that you are able to unsubscribe to any and all future emails by selecting the unsubscribe button in your settings. As well as you may contact our support directly, as I had previously provided you with direct emails.

now39
2/4/18

they signed me up without my permission. Almost impossible to get out of this mess. I deleted all my info and changed my name but still can't kill the account. They suck. Bunch of real estate used car sales jerks.

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Hello,

There is certainly some confusion here, we do not operate in such a way as to create an account for users. You must accept all the terms as well as follow through an on boarding process.

Furthermore, the jobs featured on our site are high level remote jobs, hence no used car sales positions.
You may also unsubscribe to all and future emails in the settings of your account.

peterk142
7/19/17

After filling out all the information and then selecting a job offer, I'm told I have to pay for a monthly plan. This is a scam!

Response from Remote T., Remote Representative
Hi Peter, I'm sorry for the confusion. Seems we need to do a better job of explaining how our site works. Our system strategically invites job seekers(you) to apply to jobs every day, and those targeted individuals do not pay to apply. It's a way of us helping ensure the right candidates are matched with the right jobs, saving both you and hiring managers time.

At the time of this writing we invite over 50,000 people per day to jobs, working as a match maker, and providing one of the smartest job engines that exists.

Make sure your profile is at least 80% complete and your preferences are set and you will start receiving invites.

Hope this helps and sorry for any confusion. We will work on improving educating people using Remote.com. Thanks!

- Support Team

Questions? Get answers from the Remote staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Remote