Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

practicum.yandex.com

Practicum by Yandex has a consumer rating of 4.77 stars from 31 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Practicum by Yandex also ranks 16th among Education Other sites.

• A course at Practicum is not just another Udacity or Dataquest related program, it's much more.
  • One of the best websites you can find if you're serious about studying Data Science.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Practicum by Yandex?

“Great quality and delivery of information, assistance and encouragement from the team!”

Ashley S.
1/11/20

High-end, professional resource for enthusiastic people who want to find their craft in evolving industries. As you work through the course, you get great quality and delivery of information, assistance and encouragement from the team, as well as a free 20 hour course to test the waters. My experience has been only positive and I'm glad I didn't pass it up, because my studies would be much more excruciating on my own

course (23) data science (8) data analysis (7)
ashleys519
January 11th, 2020
hsianganl
June 3rd, 2020
Good content! The course is divided into into many small sprints based around a topic (Exploratory Data Analysis, SQL, Statistics, etc.) with a project on the topic at the end of each sprint. These are further organized into modules where you have integrated projects to synthesize your knowledge.

They have great support as well. Instructors can answer your questions and provide suggestions to your code. Additionally they also have live sessions via webcam as well!

Great experience overall.
julias362
June 13th, 2020
I really love this course because it is possible to learn to code even though I never coded before. :grin: Before this course, I have tried to learn through many methods, like joining clubs at school and Hour of Code. However, this course teaches very clearly and anyone can benefit from it, no matter their experience level because of the Slack community tutor and personalized feedback on projects. For me, I used this as a introduction to coding, but it could also be used to improve skills or gain more confidence in working with data.
kristinap94
June 17th, 2020
With Yandex.Practicum you just start to do things. Education process follows the rule "Less theory, more practice" and this is great! I already finished 1/3 of the Data Science program and wrote 4 projects with real review process (by human). I'm recommending the platform if you don't know from what to start. Practicum gives you a full view of the day-to-day tasks, what you will do on this job title and how to do a decision making. In other words you will prepare to reality of a speciality.
danielg796
June 28th, 2020
The Data Analyst bootcamp from Yandex By Practicum (a leading tech company) has provided me with the skills and analytical thinking necessary to work as a junior data analyst. A course at Practicum is not just another Udacity or Dataquest related program, it's much more. The platform provides an innovative bi-weekly sprint-like teaching approach (per course), insightful webinars (which can be tailored to student needs!), and the challenging and self-directed projects that are reviewed by professionals in the relevant field among other features.

Of special importance for me, has been the projects. These are very challenging projects that revolve around answering various business questions in a variety of fields. Whenever I work on these projects, I feel like I'm on the job! What's more, these projects get more complex throughout the program but there's always support and guidance from mentors if needed. This has been my highlight of the program as I'm confident now in my coding but more importantly, analytical thinking skills. You really can't go wrong by choosing this program!
margaritas40
June 28th, 2020
It was an easy choice to enroll the Data Analytics course at Practicum by Yandex. As a tech recruiter, I knew about their(Yandex) success in Russia and how professional the analysts working there are. I expected that it would be hard work, lots of math and fun. I am not disappointed :)
Provide you some facts and numbers.
- The course consists of 14 sections (2-weeks sprints). Most of them have the theory section (materials and exercises) and the project. Other ones are just big integrating projects.
- There is a free part of the course named Python and Data Analysis Basics. You supposed to complete it for 20 hours, but I think it's possible only if you already have some experience with Python and/or analytics. From me, it took about 3 weeks with approx. 2 hours a day.
- You must keep the deadlines. They might be soft for a few sprints, but once in a few weeks, they are rigid. You had better not spend more than 4-5 days on theory and 10-14 days on projects. Otherwise, you will need to take an academic leave.

Overall I highly recommend this course for all those who have enough motivation and time(!) to change a career path and become a data analyst.

Attached a photo with the completed sprints.
rohitp30
June 18th, 2020
I wanted to start my career into Data science field but don't know which one to prefer, later on I joined Yandex.Practicum, course material is more practical than theory and every sprint I need to do projects which are very useful in real life , reviewer reviews my codes if any issue in the project they gave me feedback where I went wrong , I am able to write codes more clearly and course material is very good according to industry requirement
tonym431
December 14th, 2019
If you're looking for a way to brighten up your learning experience, have fun and improve as a software developer, you absolutely must give this platform a try. It's only been a month on-board, but I'm seeing great improvements in my coding skills, and as we progress through the course, I'm enjoying it even more, with how practical and real-life applicable all the given materials are. Terrific resource!
richardp1027
March 16th, 2020
I first saw the course on the Internet and thought I'd take a shot at the free introductory course and then decide later whether I want to continue with it. The way they give information is engaging and, most importantly, in clear and easy to understand language. After completing the free part, I was sure that this is what I need to do, so I continued my journey. It only takes 10 hours a week to work through the material. You compile your first portfolio independently like a true professional. The projects you do over the course are good enough to show to potential employers.
noahb73
December 19th, 2019
It's so great that Yandex came up with this course. I've been working in IT for 5 years and have never had time and motivation to study data analysis or coding. I was afraid to commit to a paid course because I didn't want to waste time and money on no guaranteed payoff. I'm hoping that with Yandex, I'll gain the necessary knowledge to work on my projects without involving outside sources.
demib19
December 27th, 2019
It's a lot of educational recourses out there, but I think I'll stick to Yandex. Really impressed with the content quality and our professors' way of teaching. I feel like I'm always ready to jump in for some extra coding hours, and trust me, I usually get bored pretty fast. Practicum for me has been like a blueprint for my web-development success. It requires that you follow along and work hard, but the rewards are totally worth it!
jackiel298
June 17th, 2020
You already know that everyone and their grandma is offering a coding boot-camp to help further your career. I can't speak for the rest of the other services, but I can say that I had a wonderful time with Practicum.

I am currently on the data science course and have added many of these projects to my portfolio which is already being used for interviews. The technical skills are well explained with business and technical examples of why they are teaching such a skill. I did have an engineering background before starting this program, but I believe the exercises are a good extension of what was taught and are not terribly difficult to understand. If I ever had issues comprehending an exercise, the Slack community with other students and instructors was always there to support me.

After each course is a project in JuypterHub which is critical to building your portfolio and competence as a data scientist. The projects have proved to be challenging and excellent practice to what you would be doing in industry work. The projects I've worked on so far was plenty of exploratory data analysis, statistical testing, and some machine learning classification problems. Machine learning problems are significantly more complex and I'm glad they are spending enough time to really have you understand the details instead of just teaching you pre-written code.

Now why did I give it a 4/5 stars? There are a few bugs and typos here and there that have hindered my learning momentum, but I do believe that is being fixed in the beta. My other feedback is that some of the project backgrounds are not that exciting such as identifying what apartment characteristics affect the price. Of course, that is a personal preference, but it does factor in how exciting your portfolio becomes. Overall, I believe the program is great and you should definitely consider it amongst the other services.
emrea13
June 21st, 2020
As a Ph.D. student I started to study data science in Practicum, which is really amazing. The team and mentors are great and I see advancing. My intent is advancing much more and I advice this experience to any one who is serious and has intent to study data science.

The support team helps you when you need, community managers helps and here for you anytime when you feel stuck and your reviewers and mentors helps you to figure out problems.

Also the study is based on theoratical and practical structure. I feel I'm learning theoretical background while learning applicable data science.

My other focus is studying data science in Y-Data School.

Thanks Practicum team.
nicholass360
June 18th, 2020
I recently finished the first module of the Data Science course. It's a lot of work, but with the help of the many different resources and people available to you throughout the process, it really pays off. The biggest hurdle for some will be learning to ask for help, and Practicum encourages it throughout the process. For me personally what really has helped me solidify my learning is the projects. Every major section so far has had a project that you get feedback on and sent back to you until you get it right. And all of my reviewers so far have added in little extra tips to help along the way or make things simpler for myself above and beyond the normal project review. Added a photo of what I've completed so far so that others can see I'm actually taking the course
dawith
June 17th, 2020
After each theory we are able to tackle exercises (tasks) that requires the implementation of the theory you just learned. When you complete a course a project based on real life data is waiting for you to complete. This project is set on a deadline, once submitted experienced reviewers go over your work and provide you detailed feedback outlining what great job you did along with what you should include. There is also an instructor and tutor (who is an experienced data scientist working for one of major banks) that guides you on hands on projects. The instructor answers any questions related to the course and also helps you complete each task at the end of the lessons, if you are stuck. They also have active slack community that shares tips and pointers, makes the discussion live, and asks question from which I personally learn a lot.
arynad
June 27th, 2020
It's already 5 months since I started to learn Data Analysis with Yandex Practicum. My main motivation was to learn to code in Python and improve my technical skills. The Practicum helps a lot.

It was extremely hard in the beginning. But I never thought about giving the course up. As time goes it's getting easier to code and to analyze different types of data. I especially like the project part.

And I love my co-students because they ask a lot of questions in the forum and their questions help to solve the exercises and work on projects.
adama364
June 30th, 2020
If programming and Data Analysis for you something brand new than you probably should give this course a try.
I've tried many different courses and programs to learn Python language, and I'm still discovering new things, cause programming and Data Science / Data Analysis is all about perpetual learning. Few month ago I found Yandex Practicum and decided to try... And I really enjoy it! This course is based on real cases, so it is easier (for me) to study from practice.
There are thousands of ways to start learning coding. For some people, it is easier to learn basics with video lessons, for others (like me), it is easier to learn from practical experience. There is Python.org tutorial, that is really useful at the very beginning, but it has no real-based tasks.
The Team of Yandex Practicum is helpful! You get really useful feedback and new ways to improve you code.
So, I personally recommend this course.
lindak856
June 30th, 2020
This year due to Coronavirus I decided to accept the invitation form Women Who Code to become a beta-tester of the Practicum by Yandex platform and I joined the Web Developer Professional Certificate Program.
The program is an amazing experience in which you will learn at a high rate and have the opportunity to put your skills to the test with sprints and projects bi-weekly.
Overall, the experience is pretty tough, yet incredibly valuable. The Practicum curriculum is significantly more advanced and up to date than many other bootcamps.
The strong curriculum is specially designed that after quality curated theoretical lectures is dropping you right into a code base challenge and having you figure out what is needed to be done to find solutions which accurately mimics the real world experience. The Sprints also provide space for students to work on projects independently and as small groups.
The curriculum is geared to make you build your portfolio of 15 projects by following the original mockup design files and add functionality as per instructions received for each project. You will collaborate through GitHub using a professional developer's workflow that will help you in your Developer job.
The Program is 10 months long and the review process and the projects activities gives you the real world work environment and prepare you to be ready to join any Company's Developer team at any time. The Sprints are build having in mind the job ready Developers.
The mentors, community managers and support staff are top notch and care greatly about student advancement and, ultimately, success. The program provides also great alumni network with an active Slack.
I don't have enough words to recommend Practicum by Yandex Curriculum, join today and you will be definitely happy with your choice! Give it a try!
martina379
June 18th, 2020
The course has a lot of issues it deals with, with good explanations, lots of tasks, works, and projects to learn to code by ourselves.
Also, the team is very helpful, smart and professional, and they always answer you fast to all your questions.
I am very satisfied with this course!
liamc56
December 14th, 2019
"he free introductory part of the course was really insightful. Coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics and experimental design, I was glad that the theory was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density and a lot of mentor support with practical assignments. The intro was good in setting all the necessary software for future steps. It inspired me so much I decided to dive into the full course.

And then... 8 months of math, statistics, analytics, algebra, theory of probability, finance, economics plus all kinds of computational tools. Oh, wait, add some management, social relations, advertising, psychology plus the rest of the social sciences. Not to forget about constant working on hands-on study projects! Needless to say, the course ended up being very challenging for me. Luckily, the mentors' attention seemed almost undivided: it felt like there were not many learners in the class. However, for the same reason, not many people seemed to interact on Slack, especially during the last three months.

To recap, the course was challenging, but I highly recommend it.
danielah24
December 25th, 2019
I've just recently learned about Practicum by Yandex, but have already completed the free part . The tasks are quite doable. Neither too easy nor too hard. Having a cheatsheet after every block is very useful. The setup of the service is very convenient. I have absolutely no idea how the online platform checks your answers and points out the mistakes, but it does!
paule362
December 25th, 2019
Outstanding course! Very informative and detailed foundation for understanding coding. General web development principles are delivered in a simple, easy to grasp way and applied to practice providing students with immediate hands-on training. It was just the right amount of "taking me by the hand" for my entry-level. And the reason why I chose Practicum first place was the fact that they have female instructors. Darya was amazing in both explaining the theory and checking + commenting on my project assignments. But don't get me wrong: other training instructors were top-notch too.

Thank you for providing such a great course at such an affordable price to students like me who cannot pay high fees for such quality education from such inspiring teachers.
polinam5
November 15th, 2019
This is the best self-learning project I've ever come across. Practicum by Yandex is an opportunity for growth and learning, with practical knowledge pure and undiluted by the dry, sleep-inducing webinars you get with other platforms. It's a mainstay for anyone beginning their journey toward work as a web developer. It can be a challenging road, one traveled with trepidation and in fear of making a false step, though now there's the safety net that is Practicum by Yandex
bhadreshs
June 1st, 2020
I was part of the Data Scientist track,

The content is really great. Your all questions will be answered within a few hours by instructors in the slack channels. I have never seen such a kind of community support in any earlier online course. I am a Computer Vision nano degree Graduate from Udacity. Practicum is better in terms of helps we get in slack than Udacity.

Every big module has a project which is reviewed by experienced professionals, The review you get really helps to learn better. It was really helpful to me. All the projects and modules need to be completed within the timeline which helps you to make daily learning habits. It has more than 15 projects for Data Scientists track which is the best part.

Online biweekly webinars are learning with fun, The instructor was a former data scientist. He always shares tips and tricks from his experience.

This Bootcamp was a complete package that you don't want to miss, one of the best learning experience.
daryas5
December 3rd, 2019
I've been hired as a junior front-end developer by a company in Moscow; it happened three weeks ago. I'm learning tons of stuff at work: Vue.js, Webpack. My hours are 10 to 7, but even after hours, I've got plenty to learn.
Practicum has really set me up well for front-end work. I'm pretty much a full-fledged programmer at work already. JS could use some work though, :))) but BEM that we did in the first couple months has been really helpful. All in all, I've got some real working knowledge from Practicum.

Yes, Practicum is a legit company. I am currently taking the Web Developer Bootcamp right now and I started in January 2020.

By Linda K.
See more answers (4)

I'm not sure why haha just saw the ad and thought i wanna try)

By Daniela H.
See more answers (2)

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Practicum by Yandex staff and other customers.

Practicum by Yandex offers six- to ten-month online courses in fields related to coding. Students can currently choose from one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Practicum courses incorporate professional knowledge that you won't find in any textbook, finally bridging the gap between short-term MOOCs and full-time bootcamps.

Each course includes full access to an interactive online platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews, students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios to show to potential employers.

You will get:
- A free 20-hour introductory course. This will provide a taste of programming so you can decide whether or not this is the path for you.
- 24/7 support in case you get stuck. Сode reviewers and community managers will always be there to make sure you can move forward.
- Soft skills that'll get you hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and our career accelerator will complement your hard skills and make the job search easier.
- A portfolio of up to 15 projects. The team will help you polish up each of your projects so that your portfolio stands out to employers.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels; the only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price from $600 to $1,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Students should be prepared to devote at least 20 hours per week to their studies.

Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit.

Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If they do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Business History

Yandex is one of the TOP-5 tech companies in Europe. We build refined and reliable solutions, products and services powered by machine learning. There are 1000+ developers at 30 offices in 10 countries across the world.
More - https://yandex.com/company/history/1990

epifanovm
Andrey I.
Marketing / PR

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Practicum by Yandex?

Have a question about Practicum by Yandex?