Review of Poacfl

Suggest Category

1 Review From Our Community

susanc575
7/2/18

I lost my leg as a result of an accident between a SUV and a cyclist (I was the cyclist). I knew nothing about the world of amputees. For the first 12-18 months I went to a local prosthetist who provided me with all the equipment I needed to walk again. But I kept getting blisters and sores primarily along my inner thigh which were bad enough to keep me out of my prosthetic for at least a day or two. My prosthetist told me I'd just have to live with the abrasions. I wasn't willing to accept that. So I spent a lot of time on-line reading about and talking to other amputees about their experiences. POA kept coming up as the place to go for a totally different experience than anywhere else in the world. I learned that POA would work closely with me until I was doing all the things I was doing before I lost a leg.

I was NOT disappointed! I first went to POA 7 years ago. Every time I have returned it has been an absolutely inspirational experience. Just to give you an idea, the last time I was there, I saw at least a dozen amputees ranging in age from 5 to 50. Some had mastered walking and some were getting their very first prosthesis.

All POA clients (family) are in one big room. There is always at least one brand new amputee or an amputee who has not found success elsewhere as well as amputees who have been POA clients for years. It is a miraculous experience--as much for the amputees as it is for people who aren't affected by limb loss at all.

The walls are adorned with framed messages and photographs from people who live inside and outside the USA. There are plenty of framed newspaper articles featuring POA clients as well. Many Paralympic medalists are long-term POA clients, including Amy Purdy of Dancing with the Stars fame.

I could never articulate how absolutely phenomenal POA is.

Questions? Get answers from the Poacfl staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Poacfl