Review of Overstock.com

2017 Customer choice award

63 reviews with 2 stars

barryk56
9/5/18

I bought a table from Overstock for $348 and a few weeks later its on sale for $288. The first person said they wouldn't refund the difference after a certain amount of time but it took 5 weeks to order it and I've only had it two weeks. The second person said they don't refund the difference at all. The table is also made with really soft wood. I wrote on a piece of paper and it completely transferred to make indents of the words.

caryr20
6/8/18

I bought a rug that was very nice, no issues with delivery, but the price dropped by $108 (more than 20%) the day after it was delivered and they won't do anything to accommodate, which most decent stores do. Also they do not pay for returns. Makes me feel bad for giving them my business and trust.

elained45
5/12/18

I placed an order for a king comforter for my daughter as her mother in-law was coming for Mother's Day. it said on line it was delivered but she didn't receive it so I called customer service an was told it was never picked up at their warehouse. I asked if they would deliver overnight or 2 day as her mother in-law was coming for Mother's Day and all she had on the bed was sheets. She said it is not their policy to do that and it would be be delivered on time. Can you imagine, its their fault and too bad for he customer. I will never shop there again!!! Wayfair is a fair superior Company it's just they didn't carry this comforter set.

mikeb431
10/20/17

These guys are out of the 19th century! They make returns murder. Unless the item is defective, you have to pay return shipping AND a restocking fee, though I've found that their online descriptions are often inadequate or confusing, so that you are liable to receive an item that is not what you expected. Won't shop there again.

trudyew
10/7/17

I had to return a Patio Table Umbrella. I'm thankful for the fact that Overstock.com accepted my return several days after the grace day return period and for that I would rate them a 4-Star. The box was somewhat heavier than I'd expected, but I managed with not much strife. The difficult part came when trying to set the umbrella upright. The "Abba Patio Solar Powered Aluminum Rectangular LED Light Tilt Umbrella" was too hard for a 5'3" female to hoist up because it's top-heavy. I was able to assemble it, but trying to get the pole in the hole of my table almost caused me to tumble over several times. It's of no use if it can't be set up safely or dismantled by one person. Based on my frustration and inability to see the umbrella fully set up is why I rated the product a 2-Star. The manufacturer may want to address this issue on the labeling of the product as it's a huge selling factor.

abek6
8/28/17

You have to spend some time on this site and then you might find a good price. I was able to find the same product in stores for less than you would find it on this website.

sheryls19
7/19/17

Overstock used to be a great site until they inflated their prices. Many (even sale) prices are higher than you can get going directly through the vendor.

krisi6
7/6/17

I check them out from time to time.

I consistently find:

Prices are to high!
Limited selection !
Waste of my time!

cheryln20
5/18/17
• Updated review

From Cheri:
Overstalk.com 1st rips off customers in many ways and has extremely poor service and products; high prices; and what you think are buying new items you really may be getting used, refurbished, discontinued items (for a reason); or new. You won't know which condition you are getting your "new" product in until it arrives, is set-up and you begin to use it. After reading review after review, you realize the company doesn't care about their customer at all! They care about profit--at any cost to us, their customers, To top that off, when we go on SiteJabber (SJ) to compare notes, vent, etc., Overstalk.com literally creates fake reviews in an attempt to counter our real reviews.

To tell if a review is false, notice how each the review gives five stars, not four; they often describe the store (product, etc) as excellent and there is no description of the merchandise or experience, giving no or only vague details. There is no explanation as to why Overstalk.com is so great. Plus, they only have great experiences yet also say customer service is great. So how if they only have had great experiences would they know what dealing with customer service is like? (This is contradictory!)

Then there are the names of the reviewers. You cannot push on the name attached to the review so yu can learn more about this person making these claims like you can push on my name, for example, and see my profile. Alone, each one of these remarks or actions scream fake review and raises a red flag. Together, they spell TOTALLY FALSE AND UNRELIABLE.

From SiteJabber Tips on Reading Reviews (esp learning to spot false reviews):
An astonishing 92% of consumers check reviews before using a new business. Given the ubiquity of reviews, knowing how to read them properly is unfortunately still more art than science. However, equipped with the following four insights, whether you're on SiteJabber or reading reviews somewhere else, you can make yourself less likely to fall victim to scams and ensure great buying experiences.

1. Businesses can buy good reputations
While this is not true on SiteJabber, sadly, nearly all complaint and review websites sell businesses the ability to remove bad feedback and replace it with good reviews. This practice; which feels a lot like extortion to the businesses involved because their reputations; are often held hostage by review sites is also unfair to consumers who cannot tell the difference between a business who has earned great reviews through years of excellent service and a poor business who has paid for a good reputation.

For this reason, it's important to understand a review sites business model before trusting its reviews. If the review site charges businesses for reputation management or review collection, choose another site.

2. Fake reviews are common
Fake reviews are an issue on every review platform. As a consumer, your best bet is to learn to spot fake reviews while paying special attention to bad reviews. To spot fake reviews look for:

Multiple reviews with similar grammar or syntax
Reviews with poor grammar or spelling
Non-specific reviews that sound too general or are too short
Many reviews generated suddenly instead of built slowly over time
Not enough negative reviews if there are good reviews, there should be at least some bad ones since all business have at least a few grumpy customers
A lot of fake reviews should be seen as a red flag against a business.

If you do spot fake positive reviews, it becomes particularly important to read the business bad reviews to get a sense of a worst case scenario. Look for patterns in bad reviews and ask yourself if you can live with that outcome.

3. It's critical to carefully read businesses responses to bad reviews
While you're browsing the bad reviews, pay close attention to the company's responses. If they are prompt, professional and propose reasonable resolutions, it makes it a lot easier to live with some of the negative outcomes that might surface in the bad reviews. But if the business is rude, defensive, unhelpful, copying and pasting canned responses, or doesn't respond at all, it should be a red flag that tells you: If something goes wrong, you're on your own.

4. If you're not sure about a business, message other reviewers
Either by sending individual private messages to reviewers or posting in the Q&A section of a business review page, you can verify the buying experiences of past customers and ask specific questions. For example, if you're looking to buy a pair of shoes and another reviewer has also bought a pair of shoes but had trouble with how they fit, you might benefit from messaging that reviewer to ask, Were they too big or too small? Where you able to return them easily? Would you buy again? This can also give you a sense of whether reviews are genuine.

Knowing how to read reviews the right way can be tricky, but with these four review insights, you can become not just a savvy shopper, but also a savvy reader of online reviews.

“Overstock Writing Fake Reviews, Again”
5/18/17
• Previous review

It looks like Overstock has been working overtime to write fake reviews. You can tell the ones that are since they lack details and say I bought a rug at a great price and people ask where I got it, When I was on here about a month ago, there were few 5 stars and mostly 1 or 2 stars. How does that happen?
P/s Overstock contacted me on Twitter and tried to change my mind about what I think of the company. Read it @AmericTheGreat?

Tip for consumers: Don't use it.

seanb73
3/18/17

Would avoid and try sears or amazon instead.

I was interested and paid for a total of 3 times, payment cancelled on all 3 purchases due to out of stock reasons, very frustrating when you have a site of this magnitude.

alexb199
3/8/17

They don't offer free returning, and shipped my canceled runner rug, so I have to pay the returning fee. I won't use this store any longer for the risks of paying so much for returning.

matthewb127
2/27/17

Would have given them 1 star - but since they are from Utah I have a little homerism in me still. Just like amazon - claim they are selling a specific product, you order and it turns out it's imported crap that you could have gotten for cheaper directly from the chinese counter part.

alexk105
2/10/17

I placed on order on Overstock.com for a friend's birthday and had to try four different times to get them to actually accept my credit card that I use every day without issues. Finally, they accepted my order and said the gift was on its way... until two days later, I got a random email saying "Your order is cancelled". They offered no way to response, no way to help... just a cancelled order after I had expected that my friend's gift was on its way. Not very good service.

nancys25
9/19/16

This is a site you have to pick and choose with caution. I have ordered several items and have been very pleased, HOWEVER, recently ordered a get well gift basket filled with chocolate during the summer. That being said, I assumed it would have been packed with dry ice due to the heat. Not only was the original basket ordered not delivered, it was substituted with a variety of stale, outdated items that had begun to disintegrate. It wasn't cheap and I felt as if OS did me a disservice as a long time customer. When I called customer service, they wanted me to take a picture of the item received (I live in Maine, the basket was delivered to Maryland) and send it to them so they could verify it was the wrong basket delivered and not eatable. First of all, having been a fairly loyal customer for YEARS and have NEVER sent back or complained about an item, I have a fairly good track record. Also, it is a get well gift basket . . . . the party it was sent to was just released from the hospital after major surgery. Very, very disappointed. I would advise not to order any food related items.

lisak50
8/25/16

Bought two 250 chairs.
Cheap plywood bottoms. The legs snapped off both chairs. No way to repair them. Too big to try and return. Very disappointed. Next time I will not buy from them.

marcob37
8/15/16

I have never gotten anything from them that was not complete garbage. Sheets 1000 count last for 3 months and then you can throw them away.

christineh54
8/8/16

Overstock is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. When I am looking for something in particular they never seem to have it in stock. I very rarely visit their site.

dennisj24
8/2/16

Good site

mikhailb1
5/17/16

Ink cartridge for $ 25? I'm sorry, but that's a chur.

paull144
5/16/16

I tried to sell my photos here and their commission fee is to much

luciay2
5/2/16

I ordered an item 4/22/16 in anticipation of Mother's Day as I purchased a gift. I could have ordered from other sites but opted for Overstock for free shipping. The item shows as delivered on 4/29/16 in WASHINGTON State. I live in FLORIDA. I even went as far as to review my order details to ensure I entered the proper shipping address (I did).

I know that it's likely not the fault of Overstock for an incorrect delivery however, when I contacted Overstock Customer Service they advised they'd request a "trace" via UPS to locate the package and it could take 1-4 business days. It would then take another 1-2 business days to prepare the new item for shipment and another 5-7 business days to be delivered. Clearly, I will not receive the item in time and I'm unable to cancel the order to purchase elsewhere.

The rep was unwilling to assist in trying to get the item to me in time for Mother's Day. I should have opted to purchase elsewhere and paid shipping. UGH.

johnm747
5/2/16

Their website is confusing and unclear, but it seems like they have good deals. I never bought from them to be honest because I don't know if I should trust them or not.

shannons52
4/4/16

Customer service quality to be improved!!

kimc109
4/1/16

I've never found a thing on Overstock.com I call it Overpriced.com

kimm40
3/7/16

I've given up on them. Stuff isn't like it looks in picture sometimes and mistakes were a hassle to correct. I hope it's gotten better I did write complaint letters. They had a lot of kewl stuff. It's just it wasn't described properly and left me disappointed a lot. But I did get a few things that were better than expected. So it washes out the let downs. Don't expect a lot and you will be ok.,. Never ever use your own credit cards or debit cards for paying online. Get prepaid gift cards only or use PayPal

Hey, I would be very careful. I have transacted with Overstock three times and I don't believe there is as much security in terms of guarantee as with Amazon. And, if you buy items fulfilled by Amazon (meaning the product ships from Amazon's warehouse) you are even more guaranteed. For example, I bought some dinner napkins from an Amazon seller, fulfilled by Amazon. They were not what they were supposed to be and Amazon issued me a credit immediately and scheduled UPS to pick up my item to return. I'm very confident that with Amazon you will get quality service and if the product is not as described or substandard you will be in better hands especially with Amazon fulfilled items. Overstock is just not up to par and I wouldn't purchase something like a medicated cream from Overstock until they get it together.

By Rita Y.

I used a credit card on Overstock when purchasing my bed. It was years ago, I still sleep on it. I had no problems using my credit card on Overstock

By A S.

In my experience TERRIBLE! I describe it at the opening of this discussion. The couch and rug I purchasd broke (and the rug became unraveled) within two months from delivery. A second couch was sent, with th first not even picked up, and a second rug, again with the first not picked up. Both again broke and the rug unraveled within months. I spent more than $600 on the couch and had to throw it (them) and the rug away in under three months. Waste of money. You just don't know what condition you are getting your product in.

By Cheryl N.

No. I ordered memory foam that shows that famous hand imprint that usually stays long enough to see it. Well, the cheap stuff they sent me could not even show it for a millisecond! VERY CHEAP FOAM...

By Bob D.

all I can say is, after i ordered the tracking number told me 31 days. Really, now they will not answer my repeated requests for a return label.

By Kat K.

No, call for a return label.

By Mathew B.

Questions? Get answers from the Overstock.com staff and other customers.

20 Photos for Overstock.com