Review of NewCakes.co.uk

hello@newcakes.co.uk

33 reviews with 1 star

sonian16
6/21/19

My husband wanted to surprise me for my birthday with a cake. When it arrived it was misshapen despite the box being in perfect condition and well wrapped internally which suggest that it was like that before posting it was placed in the box. The horse is missing ears, the women looks like a male top half. Then to find out it cost over £100! Is not good. Extremely disappointed

amberc141
6/4/19

If I could give this less than 1 star I would. The whole cake was a joke. I ordered a lacrosse cake for a 21st birthday party and I could not put it out for the guests it was so bad. There was football players on it, the figure that was supposed to resemble my sister was insulting and the pitch was a football pitch not a lacrosse pitch. I called to express my disappointment and was promised £150 refund (I had paid £200). This was in April and now fast forward to June. They are not picking up the phone and have not replied to my email.

vics26
5/14/19

Ordered a cake for delivery for our sons 10 th bday pd£100 was extremely disappointed with the execution ,asked for special text and Mario character which were so small and insignificant,very very saddened by this experience cannot ever use this service again

mariam684
1/26/19

I order and paid for an extra large cake that was supposed to suffice for 30-35 portions. My son's birthday party was the following day so I ordered it on Saturday just to ensure that it would arrive on time, which it did. Upon opening it I was utterly dismayed at the size of the cake. It is no larger than what you can buy at Tesco's - for a quarter of the price. Do not trust the size and portions as I got a ridiculously small cake and now have to find a substitute that would suffice 28 kids. Utterly shocked, dismayed and angry not to mention the stress I'm not supposed to have is on full force.

One would think that if people want to spread their business that they would at least endeavour to please their customers and not leave room for grievance - but this customer has nothing but grievance against this company - DO NOT TRUST THEM -

paulal110
9/18/18

ABSOLUTELY DIABOLICAL. I ordered a cake for my daughter's 21st. It was a mess, the cake was not level and the gold drip looked like a child had done it. It was thick and heavy instead of dainty. I emailed a picture. What a waste of £80. I was in shock when I picked the cake up and emailed and phoned as soon as I got home to say how disappointed I was. The chocolate cake had no taste whatsoever so we binned it and made a box cake which was 100 times better. They said I took the cake so it was my fault and I should have complained then. I was given a 35% refund. NEVER EVER GO ANYWHERE NEAR THESE CON ARTISTS

kelr4
9/13/18

I ordered a 2 tier cake for my son's 21st birthday celebration. The top tier isn't round and looks a bit loop-sided. The icing car was far too big that it is looks dispropportionate to the whole cake. While the icing 21 numbers were so small!. The baker is clueless as it is a 21st birthday, the numbers 21 should stand out!! When I cut into the cake, the icing on the cake was so too thick!! And worst of all, the cake was so dry!! I paid over 139.95 pounds for 2 round cakes that look so disgusting... I should have bought 2 plain cakes from any supermarket and would have impressed my guests. Ruin and spoil the whole celebration and fun for my son big day....Really disappointed and really angry.....

draganab3
7/24/18

I ordered a 60th birthday cake for my father birthday party with our dog moulded onto the cake. The cake came and said 29 and not 60 and the dogs head was off, the lefts had fallen off, the base was coming off! They then offered to send me another cake which I declined after seeing the cake as I couldn't risk it being that rubbish again so I asked for a re-fund to which I didn't get any reply and no cake. Nobody communicated with me to say that my offer of a re-fund is excepted and the new cake wasn't coming. it took me to email 3 times to get a reply to which they then told me that I would only get half the re-fund because I didn't want another cake. THIS WAS NO COMMUNICATED TO ME THAT IF I DIDNT WANT A CAKE I WOULD ONYL GET HALF THE RE-FUND. As far I was aware another cake was coming as I didn't have any communication from the company. £95 cake!! Absolute joke!

lloyds48
7/2/18

Ordered the gym cake for my sons 18th.
It was terrible. It looked nothing at all like the image on the website. We paid extra for filling hardly any in it. Dry and horrible. We had a laugh at the companies expensive for the complete fail. At least I got to tell 60 people at the party not to go to this company. Emailed company no response.

sharong121
2/23/18

I paid £93 for a ps4 cake and it had shifted from the base when it arrived....not surprising since it was delivered by UK mail. The cake was a basic black rectangle block with little decorating skill....just don't do it

nirar1
1/3/18

I ordered a cake for my son's 18th birthday just before Christmas. I was really excited on the day of delivery, couldn't wait to see the cake.Hence, it was a heartbreaking experience seeing it first time. I nearly cried!! It was nowhere like what I was requesting and paid for.Cake was too small for XXL size, supposed to be serving 40-50 people, not even managed 20 decent pieces. I had a theme on my order, I sent a photo, of what and how I wanted.It was so horrible there was no play station and remote control was terrible. They said their cake is fresh for 10 days, only on 4th day that we've had the party and the cake was so dry and no taste at all. The experience that I never wanted to have!!! Learned a big lesson, never ever order online cakes!!!

sandrad108
11/10/17

I ordered a birthday cake for my daughters birthday in October when it arrived the cake was damaged. I sent them an email with pictures showing the damage. I received a reply offering a 50% refund which I accepted. After sending emails and making phones calls with them promising the refund I have not received it. I have now come to the conclusion that I will not be getting the refund. I will not be ordering anymore cakes from this company and I would certainly not recommend them.

alixt2
4/1/17

£102 for a cake that arrived in such a state I couldn't serve it. New Cakes first response - have 30% discount off a purchase of a FURTHER cake. Then it was alleged I had damaged the cake intentionally. Then a 30% disc off the cake, then 50%off neither of which have been received. Smashed cake, upset child and mother no money. Cowboys stay well away!!!

A quote from their website...

Please note that if your cake comes with some delicate sugarcraft pieces such as flowers or cartoon characters, these will be can be wrapped separately and will require you to place them on the cake yourself

The Thomas the tank character on my cake with carriages was heavy but transported on top of the cake making the cake sink. Thomas was damaged beyond recognition. When i quoted the website dialogue to New Cakes they told me I was talking nonesense and this had never happened before. The cake looked inedible no child was prepared to eat it. These kind of people should not be allowed to operate. If you ordered an item of clothing and it
Arrived damaged would you expect to receive just 50% refund? No of course not. Why is a cake any different?

amandaj74
10/6/16

Why o why did I not do my research before ordering my cake on line. I ordered a minecraft cake for my 8 year old son as on their website it looked fantastic. How disappointed was I when I received it today. It is completely different from what is advertised on their website. The personalisation was written not even made out of icing. I really didn't think I would be ripped of by this company. I normally never complain or write reviews but I felt compelled to make sure no-one else orders from this company. I am now contacting trading standards and writing to Watchdog to see if any action can be taken. Their website is misleading and what they advertise is not what you receive. I'm so angry they have taken my money and I have received such a poor quality product. Wish I had ordered a cake from Tesco's or Marks & Spencer their cakes are superb just a shame they didn't make a minecraft cake. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Amanda,

I am sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with our product. Our team of decorators are highly skilled and are upset to hear that their work did not match what you were expecting.
As all of our cakes are made by hand and to order using the image on the website for illustration purposes only there will be differences in every cake. Each decorator has their own artistic interpretation of how the cake should appear.
I can assure you that the banner, although handwritten is 100% edible. The pens that we use are industry specific and suitable for consumption.

Again we would like to apologise for you not being happy with the product you received and if you would like to; please contact Claire in the office who will be happy to discuss the issue with you and hopefully encourage you to work with us again.

Shay
dianag55
9/29/16

So disappointed at newcakes service. I ordered two cakes last week for over £140. A "drunk student" cake for my son's 21st and a rugby cake for my other son's 18th. Imagine our absolute horror when the boys opened the cakes to discover that the same inscription had been made on BOTH cakes! (Happy 21st birthday Daniel) To make matters worse, all the cans and bottles were missing from the drunk student cake so the design just looked stupid.
It was 6.30 on Friday night and I needed them for Sunday so emailed and left a message. Clare called me back and assured me that this could be corrected. So I waited in most of Saturday for Lavinia to turn up and fix the cakes. When she arrived, she brought an icing banner which was far too small to cover the original inscription and as I told her, a 5 year old could have done better. She tried to scrape off the piping and smooth the green icing but made such a mess, I had to buy a large 18 decoration to cover it. She acted as though I should be grateful that she had made the journey to sort this out and was hardly forthcoming with apologies. Finally she said I could have a 50% refund (if I wanted 100% she would take the cake and I had nowhere else to buy one at that late hour)
2 cakes and 2 sets of mistakes. I questioned their quality control but she said that she had not been in that day. So be warned, if Lavinia is not in, there is NO quality control.
Will definitely never use again.
Please don't bother apologising Shay as per below emails-it seems you never learn from your mistakes.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Diana,

I appreciate that you do not require a response from us but I would like the opportunity to again apologise for the problems you have faced with your order of special celebration cakes.
Our team do take a lot of care with their work and would never intentionally send out a cake with any imperfections. In this case we have got it wrong and we absolutely wanted to make amends as we want your event to be a success.
The ingredients and tools brought to you were based on your description of the problem and Lavinia used all her skill and knowledge to rectify the error. I completely understand that sometimes our techniques appear to be harsh and damaging but we know the products we work with and what is required to create the designs and effects.
We are very serious in our commitment to improving and due to your constructive criticism; we will be examining our quality control department so as not have this innocent mistake reoccur.

Our passion is cakes and helping to make such a special occasion memorable - for the right reasons. Again I am sorry that we made a mistake and our efforts to resolve this fell short of your standards.

Kind Regards,
gugulethum
9/13/16

I bought a pharmacy cake for a surprise party for my husband for 20-25 people. I expected a decent sized cake considering I paid just over £93 for it. I had delivered a tiny cake for about 10-12 people. This spoilt my party as I had to serve miniscule pieces for everyone to have some cake. I was only able to get in touch with some the following Monday and got an apology which was too little too late and 10% off my next order as if I'll be stupid enough to make that mistake again.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Gugu,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were not happy with the cake when it arrived.

We have an industry sizing guide to inform our valued customers the optimum number of portions our designs will feed. This is obviously purely dependant on how generous you are with the size of your slice.

I hope that you would come back to us in the future.

Shay
dianaf17
7/5/16

I ordered a Mickey cake for my son's birthday last year. It wasn't a perfect looking cake but the red velvet sponge tasted really great and friends were impressed. At that time I would have recommended them to others.

I ordered a Paw Patrol cake this time around for my son's birthday this weekend (9th July). I ordered the cake in May!! We communicated via email. Clare was good first, then as the date came closer, I didn't hear back from her. I called customer services but was told that Claire was away and that she will call me back, but never did (someone experienced this too, I've read other reviews).

Now it is too late to order a bespoke cake elsewhere, I now have to settle for a 10 quid Tesco's celebration cake. I am so angry that I am getting my son a crappy supermarket Paw Patrol cake but I have no choice. It's all been left too late.

Avoid New Cakes. They'll ruin your child's cake!!

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Diana,
I am terribly sorry to learn that you had issues with New Cakes in the past.
We have recently taken over the business and we are keen to show our valued customers how it should be done.
I hope that in the future you would consider coming back to us. We have created a unique voucher for you to use – giving you 40% off your next cake order. To get your code please contact Claire in the office and she will be happy to help 01753 374 726.

zoej8
7/1/16

Absolutely furious with new cakes. I do not know why I even bothered with this. I ordered a cake to be delivered on a certain day before a specific time and it never arrived. Tried calling new cakes many times and kept getting told that 'clare' was away from her desk and that se would call me back. 5 phone calls later she finally did and was rude and completely uncaring. She knew that parcelforce had made a mistake and didn't bother to let me know which is there's, as a company's responsibility to do so. Also the 'receptionists' are rude and misleading and to me seem pointless as they are unable to do anything!!! I paid extra £12 for delivery and there has been no effort made whatsoever. And finally when I did manage to get through to someone, she was flippant and obnoxious. I quite rightly demanded a full refund which apparently she can't do and has to wait for the account who wasn't in today! How fortunate! So I went on to tell her that I would be leaving a bad review she told me "that's not going to help you is" so I'd she saying that if I do I won't get my refund!? Have reported the company to Trading Standards for complete lack of customer care and responsibility. Do not use this company. Not even for a last resort. You're better off buying one already made in tesco. Never have I been so angry.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Zoe,

lieslh1
6/19/16

Bought a gruffalo cake for my son's 1st birthdsy.Cake arrived a day late. Marks all over the cake. Looked nothing like picture - much poorer decoration. Also missing figure from cake - the mouse! Do not use this company, was told we would get replacement base, still waiting. Wrote review on their website and it does not show!

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Liesl,

judithh36
6/17/16

All 100 of my cup cakes arrived damaged and the 6 inch cake was so lopsided it looked like it was done by a child. The cakes were for a wedding the next day. Claire at New Cakes suggested I pop to Tesco instead. She's so far refused a refund and says "this never happens".

One company to avoid!!

joj90
6/5/16

Terrible quality cake. Damaged on arrival, wrong colours, poor quality, missing requested elements. Terrible customer service, website with no reviews on it, no time to send me another cake or for me to have another made elsewhere, they refused to refund my money. Complete cowboys.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Jo,

louisep35
5/7/16

Never Oder from this company! My cake turned up looking nothing like the minecraft cake I ordered for £65. I called straight away to be told she was a call agent and I had to send an email and pictures to the company. I had no response almost a week later so ill called again and eventually received an email saying it states on there site colour and design may differ. Eventually I was offered half my money back after numerous emails. I am going to put a claim in on my credit card because the cake was shocking and it would have been an embarrassment to get it out for my sons 8th birthday. Do not use or believe the reviews that are on there.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Louise,

katym15
4/29/16

I ordered 2 cakes for the cost of nearly £200 for my twins which were supposed to be delivered on Friday! They sent me an email on Friday saying that they couldn't deliver on Friday and that it would be delivered on Saturday! I had to change everything over to make sure I would be home on Saturday. Then after I'd left the house on Friday at 4 pm and told them that I would be expecting delivery on Saturday they sent me an email saying that they would, after all be delivering on Friday evening!!!! I was at that time not home and we had very expensive theatre tickets. My husband had to miss his ticket and stay home for the delivery as the boys wanted their birthday cake! Lo and behold they never delivered the cakes!!!!! £200 for cake and double that for theatre tickets that were lost and ruined!!!!! DON'T EVER BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY ARE CHARLATANS AND THEY BREAK LITTLE CHILDREN'S HEARTS!!!!!!

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Katy,

andreab100
4/20/16

I bought a cake from this establishment for my granddaughters 1st birthday, was meant to be Sofia the first it cost £60 omg I've never seen anything like it the Sofia character looked like Morph in drag absolutely shocking they ought to be ashamed of themselves! If I didn't have to give a star I'd give none.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Andrea,

barborab1
3/6/16

I got this cake from my ex to my children's bday. Thanks God I didn't pay it and had my own cakes for £8 from Morrisons which tastes much better than this parody of cake! Sponge wasnt baked nicely and cream was just a litle bit inside and salty. Icing not good at all and think the cake was wrongly stored as tasted old. Poor look of the toppers and cheap candles too. Don't waste your money and rather buy somewhere else.

Response from Shay N., NewCakes.co.uk Representative
Hi Barbora,

donnaj20
11/13/15

Ordered a cake a few weeks ago sent a picture as requested and specified I would like a cake made as per picture design.
The cake was for a Leeds Rhinos fan and had a Rhino going over a score line .I received a bog standard supermarket cake which cost £74!!!!!.
I complained and was fobbed off with the excuse that I didn't ask for a Rhino ....ummm refer to picture .
I suppose I should be somewhat grateful as numerous people never even received a cake.
Steer clear bog standard cakes with extortionate prices and your requests ignored they just do as they like.

Hello, I would say from my experience they really deliver, I hope everything goes well for and you all have a fantastic celebration!

By Sharon G.
Questions? Get answers from the NewCakes.co.uk staff and other customers.

9 Photos for NewCakes.co.uk