Review of Meetup

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

23 reviews with 5 stars

belindas45
9/29/18

Believe it or not I find customer service to be excellent. The secret is I tweet any problem on Meetup Support's Twitter page and I get very prompt assistance. I highly recommend this approach if you get no response when you email support@meetup.com

conniee6
5/7/18

In my particular area I love the meet-up groups. It has really broadened my social life and it's a great way to meet people. Of course I'm selective as to which meet- up sites I like. You have to find the people that are compatible with you.

sharonz6
2/10/18

That said, I am not an organizer and maybe I owe the organizers of the groups I am in a multitude of thanks. I had organizing my social events and the organizers do it for me! I'd be a recluse without it! I am in a fitness group, a music group and a volunteer and nature group. Love MeetUp. I haven't really thought that there are someones at a higher level who might be making it difficult for the organizers. I haven't heard that. I am a five star reviewer for the benefit from Meetup that I have received.

louisew56
10/3/17

Wherever you are going just make sure you travel safely back and forth, also what is the difference between making friends at meetup or anywhere else??? be your own best friend and go to meetup or out with friends to benefit yourself, and meet likeminded people, you can meet strange people or users at work or old school friends can change whatever!! it makes no difference, there is a world full of people, as long as you are careful (which is obvious anyway) you should be fine, you could know someone for 40 years and find out they've done something terrible, you could know someone 1 day and they could be lovely!!

lerric
Lerri C.
5/12/17

I have seen plenty of my friends find the love of their lives on meetup as well. Highly recommend all single young person to join 20s and 30s meetups. Meetup can be a great way to build social network for persons of all ages too.

cynthiam97
2/14/17

Yep we all know that they were the instigators that went to Lois Lerner in the IRS and squealed on tea party people the weasels that they are. Meet up has always been a creepy organization with bad customer service and now for them to be pushing the resist movement and did you adamantly trying to overthrow our government this organization needs to be tried fir Sedition and jailed. Bye bye Brendin McGovern, Glusman and Atkins. The people are too smart for your manipulative moves! Instigating unrest in this country unnecessarily and for no reason other than the fact that you can't handle that you lost the election. Go back to kindergarten and learn how to lose like an adult. This is a democracy and you lost. Get it?

scottk60
9/10/16

To those that write negative reviews about meetup. There are literally hundreds of meetup groups in your local area if you live in the suburbs, in or near a major city. The larger ones have over a 1000 members and a dozen or more organizers and may have several events in the same week, sometimes at the same time. You have to put yourself out there and try different events, meetup groups, different organizers. You can't just go to a handful of events and pass judgement. Yeah, there will be some clicks in some meetup groups but there is also friendly people a few new people joining all the time too.

Also picking the right type of event to attend is important too. If you want to meet and talk to people with common interests, for dating or whatever pick a event where you can actually talk. A group walk or hike, dinner, happy hour, pool party, gallery tour are a few good choices. Don't attend some dance or band night meetup where you have to scream over loud music- not conducive to casual conversation & meeting people.

Meetup is what you make of it. Yeah you may attend some bad events, meet some people you don't like, but you will also find your group and people you like to be with. I made lots of friends, met my girlfriend, made business contacts- all though meet-up groups. You have to take the long view, look past your nose, put yourself out there, it is so worth it when you do.

mashak4
7/26/16

I've really enjoyed attending the intermediate/advance conversation group led by Andrei on weekend mornings. The topics are always interesting and the Union Square Barnes and Noble is a great location. Looking forward to going again soon!

paulr159
4/24/16

They are really great and we meet at different dog parks every weekend, the people are very nice and friendly. The site is really organized and it's easy to see who is going and I appreciate the updated emails. We always have a great time and they keep the meetups within a 12 or less mile radius. I just wish their was one for mountain bikers in this area.

assuntab
1/21/16

I have been, and still am, both an organizer of groups and a member. Loved every minute of it.

steveh137
11/26/15

I am the Organizer of two Meetup groups, one of which is now in its third year and very popular. The Meetup concept and overall implementation is very well done. I have the following questions and comments for the Meetup organization:
1. Why do you implement new major features to the arrangement or operation of the Meetup system without giving a heads-up to your Organizations first? For example, your roll-out of the payment system WePay; you not only rolled this out to the masses without forewarning your Organizers, you also removed the ability to accept Paypal for these fees in the same step. What a blow to your Organizers!
2. Meetup does not allow Organizers to "make a profit through Meetup" by charging a high group membership fee (in the eyes of Meetup corp.), but yet welcomes and supports Organizers who are clearly only using the Meetup system as a front to upsell their members to other services, such as speed-dating events and matchmaking services. Why the discrepancy?
3. The Meetup technical infrastructure at times is unstable and disjointed. For example, lately it has not been working properly with MS Explorer. Come on; this is a major browser. Another example: often at times it will chug and chug while waiting for the site to load. Professional sites such as Google never seem to experience such issues. Please upgrade your programming capabilities.
Thank you, but I truly do not expect to hear back from you on these issuesafter all, I am a mere Organizer, the axel on which your system turns.

Tip for consumers: Meetup is the best system for meeting and making friends because it uses technology to meet the old-fashioned organic way...in person. Love the premise, just which they respected their Organizers more.

mw40
2/21/15

I have been a member of Meetup since 2008 and have met many many friends and had many wonderful experiences as a result of it. I have lived in Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange county and have explored many different groups and met lots of great people through Meetup I seriously dont understand all the negative reviews... am thinking someone has an agenda.

karens90
1/27/15

I have joined 6 different groups that are all based on walking and hiking. On occasion, we have gone out for breakfast or lunch after. I have met so many nice people through meetup and have discovered so many new canyons, lakes, vista points, I could go on. Now that I have a nice repor with so many different people, Its easy to find someone going to the beach, mountains, or desert in California, depending on which direction that day I want to walk/hike.
I also noticed a lot of people who have moved here from different countries or states utilize meetup for just this purpose. It's very cool to meet others from around the world!

Tip for consumers: You get what you put into it. Be nice, and others are nice to you.

susans112
1/24/15

Our Meetup has been operating for many years now. We have 700+ members on record but 100+ are active due to the nature of our group. We are a private meetup offering support therefore, our members are screened before they are accepted to ensure they are joining for the right reason and not confusing us with a singles group. We have 3 people on the leadership team and a social events organizer. We meet monthly to discuss specific topics and also try to get guest speakers. We also meet weekly in smaller groups. The feedback we get is wonderful however, we have had to deal with difficult members and have had to ban a select few but it is done after speaking with the person and giving a second chance. We cannot please everyone nor can we help everyone who comes to us.

There are many Meetups out there that anyone can start with their own agenda. I don't think Meetup overall should be blamed; it is the individual organizers who give it a bad rep.

angelosc1
11/5/14

It is a very good site to organize a meeting in your city where people from different backgrounds are welcome to join. One way is to organize a facebook event but another is to use this tool to organize it for people who don't have facebook accounts and don't want to get involved too much in facebook to attend events.

My personal experience: great

laurah49
9/24/14

I don't get all the bad reviews? I agree when I was in Canada some of the groups charged for events, but most didn't. In Australia, none of my groups charge for events unless the event costs money, eg a ticket to something. You just get to go, meet awesome people and my social life has now expanded. In some cases we get to go and get free stuff. As a woman, you have to be careful of the weekend events that creepy older men treat as dating events though. Go to girls nights and groups for people who've just moved to the city. I've made so many friends through meetup.

sherryd8
9/5/14

I am shocked and surprised at the number of negative reviews. I have been a member for years, and an organizer for one year. I charge my members a small fee (dues) just to cover meetup dues charged to me. Met lots of new friends and its great for networking as well. Maybe the bad reviewers have joined shady meetup groups and had a bad experience. Not the situation here at all!

Tip for consumers: Dont believe what these reviewers say! Most meetup groups are free to join. I myself am a member of MANY groups, from Gardening, book clubs, lunch groups..dirt biking groups....and more. No issues!

devonk14
2/27/14

I have attended many meetup groups and have NEVER been scammed. It is a free social service, similar to okcupid but offers more then just meeting singles. After each event members are able to comment and rate the events so if someone wanted to scam you they would have to make tons of profiles to make the group seem legitimate. Read the reviews for the meetup group, view the photo's of the events, contact the venue where the event is taking place. If your afraid of getting scammed (which is crazy) then do your homework to make sure the group is real. It cost money to start a meetup group, you need a paypal account, and members can easily contact the owners of the site to report any problems. This site is a great free service. I have started a meetup group, you pay a monthly fee & it is a TON of work. No one becomes rich for owning a meetup group, there are much easier ways to scam people out of money.

As for the emails you get, CHANGE YOUR PROFILE SETTINGS. It is so easy, I don't receive any emails from meetup.com because my profile setting are set where I don't get promotional emails. Also if you have google, make a social events folder. That way you can view the emails when you want to and they won't be in your main inbox. Meetup is such a great site, not every group is great, but that would be a little much to ask for.

dorisc6
11/10/13

Great groups in every city.
One exception Beverly Hills group leader never sent me address for 15 meetings I signed up for as she's promoting her 5 businesses and I don't fall into her demographics I guess. I complained no addresses given and she wasted 15 hours x 2 = -$3000 of my time.

terrencek9
7/19/13

This site is great for meeting people with similar interests, attributes, or talents that are outside of the interests of the average local bar patron. I have a rare personality type and a 160 IQ which makes it very difficult to meet people that I can have a meaningful conversation with. I started a meetup group and have met some very interesting people. I think that groups that revolve around cleverness have better odds of turning out well because most of the people that show up can have amusing conversations on just about anything.

The much older people, shyer people, or geekier people that show up I just try to include and give them advice on things that they complain about. I like the idea of helping people with what I have learned as much as I do meeting people who challenge me and teach me things.

Most of these people would take me years of pub crawling to meet randomly

seanp10
5/18/13

Meetup is a great way to meet people with similar interests. There are a lot of different groups..including hiking, camping, dancing, workout groups, dating, networking, movie lovers, international foods and even groups to learn another language. The meetup.com website is pretty well run and is always adding new features. Hosting a meetup group is pretty easy. There are forums and Q&As that the website has created that are extensive. Joining a group is easy and painless. Remember the site is not free to the meetup group organizers. Meetup does not charge members a fee but many group organizers charge a fee for their group to pass on the costs of the meetup fee and other group costs (clubs around the world also do this).
I am reading the negative comments below and must say all of them our false...so I am going to try and correct the information.
WHO CAN START A GROUP - Anyone who wants to start a group can. You pay a monthly or annual fee to do so. If you are computer literate it is easy to set up and manage meetings. I host a meetup group for people wanting to learn Spanish and we have weekly meetings. I charge $10 a year to my members to help recoup the costs.... there are some business' on meetups but the ones I have seen are pretty clearly marked...i.e Yoga $8 a lesson. Like anywhere there may be some scammers out there. I haven't seen any on meetup and I have been a member and an organizer for 5 years... Since anyone who pays can set up a group there are a few that are disorganized and their are some groups that never take off (especially in small towns). But for the most part meetup groups are run by volunteers who are willing to give their money and time for their hobby or interest and are a great way to meet people who share your interests.
EMAIL - You can easily manage your mail from meetup. You do need to do this for your general meetup membership and for each group you belong to though.
I belong to many groups that I have totally turned off my emails from and then choose to get every email and notice from the group I host. You can choose in between options also, for example choosing to get an email when a new event is posted to your group. As an organizer I can choose other emails that go out to my group. I have it set so I have to approve all group emails from anyone but my co-organizers.
PROBLEM WITH MEMBERS - Meetup, like any volunteer organizations, does always have problem and ungrateful members but they are few and far between (looks like we have some in these reviews). Many groups do have a problem with members RSVPing for events and not showing. Most groups have started removing members who do this. Since going a meetup group is so easy you do get people to join who might not fit in with your group or lack group etiquette. Some of these people have not been previously active in clubs and have definitely not been an officer in a group. These people don't realize the time and expense it takes to organize a club, even one that is on meetup. However, as a rule most members are great, especially the regular core members.
If you join meetup remember that your organizers and hosts are volunteers and please remember to say thank you. While the meetup site makes things easier, hosting a group and/or an event is still time consuming. I have a large group that has 2-3 meetings a week and I get more "why don't you do this or this or this" (from new members who can be quite rude about it) than "thank you's". I am president of two groups outside of meetup and members of these groups are helpful and appreciative.
DUES - It does cost to host a meetup group and many groups charge a nominal fee to their members. In the 4 years I have had a group, the expense of the group has come out of my pocket 3 of those years. I know this is partly my fault since I don't go around asking for dues all the time. I also buy supplies for my group and buy gifts and give little thank yous for the people who volunteer to host events or teach a class. I know quite a few groups that are removing people who don't pay their group dues and have done so on occasion. I think meetup.com could do a better job at letting people know that the organizers do pay for the groups. Many members don't know this and expect it is free.
SECURITY -There are a lot of ways to keep meetup group and meetup members secure, this is important for any group but especially anything on the internet. You can make your profile private to anyone outside of meetup and can make a lot of your information private to people who are not in the same meetup groups. There is also a lot group members can do. To join my group you have to answer some questions and provide a identifiable photo id. I also personally approve each member. My group is also private so no one outside the group can see my members or where we are meeting. For meetups in homes etc I only send the addresses for people who RSVP. I don't require anyone to use their full name (I use my first name and last initial). I also remove members who cause a lot of conflict and have a friend who has a social group that has removed several men because members had complained about them.
When meetup organizers get together we talk about member problems (problem personalities, and people not paying dues or not RSVPing), I don't think I've ever had a discussion about a problem with the website or the company..other than to explain how to do something on the website or discuss a website tool they are now using. What most conversations are about are the one or two problem member groups we have. Although as we have gained in experience we started removing the trouble makers. When you remove a negative member the dynamics of an entire group changes. Also removing problem members will help you keep your volunteers. I have had numerous volunteer Spanish instructors quit because one member or another was rude to them etc. These are normally new members. I have also had people say they will never host an event again because people have RSVPed and not shown up or have been late and got nasty when the group did not wait an hour for them to start.
In summary I would say the meetup website is well done. The fees to host a group are a bit higher than I would like but there are a ton of great features on the website and the company (meetup.com) is there to make a profit and running a website like this takes a lot of people and resources. AND ;) if meetup club members paid their dues the cost wouldn't be an issue.

tonyd24
4/17/13

I've had all positive experiences. Although, I have mainly gone to the Support group meetups like Social Anxiety. I've been to few regular meetups such as Art and film meetups. When I've gone , The Organizer will ask for $2 or $3 donation to cover monthly fee. Its better to have a group private so that the Organizer can eecide if the person is truly interested in group. There are weirdos out there.

dianal2
7/23/11

This is a local website (has branches in many US cities). There are groups for people of all ages and hobbies, and just about any interest. Each group has their own page, photos, and message boards. I believe it's just about as safe as anything on the internet these days. There are regular activities and people meet in homes, restaurants, clubs, and at outdoor events. People get to know each other in person. It's also nice because at the holidays, which can be lonely for some, there are always get togethers.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup