Review of Meetup

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

16 reviews with 4 stars

novaw6
9/20/18
• Updated review

**I revised my one star review because after the disaster that happened in my original review, customer service reached out to me again and made things right--restored my group for me, and agreed to re-announce it next week after the hurricane clean up is over, and people will actually see that the group exists! Much better than the original response I got.

“Intractable customer service”
9/20/18
• Previous review

I created a meetup group and unfortunately, it was announced the same day as a mandatory evacuation was issued for the town I live in, in which the meetup group would meet. This was due to Hurricane Florence. Nobody in their right mind would be online signing up for my group or seeing that the group existed when they were busy evacuating their families and pets and boarding up their houses. I kindly asked customer service if they could re-announce my group next week. They said, "NO." And their solution was that I should completely close down my group and start it all over again! They offered me a paltry 15% discount if I were to re-sign up...do you know how long it took me to create my group in the first place?? I had to write the description, my profile/bio, upload photos, schedule events on the calendar, and set all of my privacy options, alert, etc. All I asked for was a simple re-announcement of the group. I paid for a 6-month subscription. Customer service was unreasonable and intractable. Because of this, they lost a customer. I will NEVER use their service again. Below is the answer I received from them. Courteous, yes, but ineffective.

From: Irina (Meetup Community Team) <support@meetup.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:32 AM
To: Nova Waite
Subject: [Meetup] Re: my new meetup was announced during a mandatory evacuation

Meetup Logo

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (170757) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Irina
Irina (Meetup)

Sep 13, 6:32 AM EDT

Hi Nova,

Irina from Meetup here. I'm so glad you reached out about this. I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but I hope you and your loved ones are safe.

I definitely know how important it is for your group to be announced at the right time, but I'm afraid that we're only able to announce a group once. For this reason, the best thing to do is to close the group and restart a new one when you're ready.

Here are the instructions to close your Meetup group.
Here are the instructions to start a new Meetup group. Make sure to copy and save all of the details you've worked on, so that you don't have to start from scratch.

Additionally, with your confirmation - I can expire your organizer subscription and issue you a full refund. Then, when you're ready to start your new Meetup group, you can restart your subscription as well. This way, your new subscription will reflect the dates that you're actually able to organize events.

I acknowledge that this is inconvenient, as you've already put in so much effort into creating your Meetup. For this reason, I'd be more than happy to attach a 15% discount to your account.

If there's anything else that I can do to support you during this time, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm here for you.

Warmly,

Irina
Community Support Specialist
Meetup HQ

P.S. If you have a moment, would you mind rating my service? I'd really appreciate it! Thank you.

kathleenf46
3/5/18
• Updated review

I wrote a very negative review of MeetUp a while back but am happy to report that the new owners are finally starting to get their act together. It's not perfect but I find that response time and accuracy is faster and better now. I can now access the calendar more easily. And there is now a way to note that guests attended (though it is tricky to find where - click on the host's info to change the number of guests).

“What is the alternative to MeetUp?!”
2/4/18
• Previous review

Every "improvement" has made a great site worse. The alternatives I have found are not promising. Any suggestions?!

Tip for consumers: Beware, new Organizers!!

brettm42
12/8/16

there are many meet ups that for all sorts of things from meeting new friends to depression groups. meeting people is so hard these days weather dating or just finding like minded people you get along with. meet ups allows you to go alone to a meet up and make new friends with no stress and if you are single and looking then at lest you can meet someone in a relaxed stress free environment and meet people face to face. this is a good thing why they are caning dating meet ups is beyond me at least you do not talk to someone for a month and get asked for money and find out the pension is fake and in Nigeria. worst case if you do not like the people at a meet leave and find another meet up with people you do get along with.

chanaveerk
9/27/16

Updated - meetup.com replied to my email, and refunded the amount in few days. So, bumping up the rating from 3 to 4.
================
Hi,

I had started a meetup group couple of months back for a Kids sports meetup in my area. I closed the group about 2-3 weeks back due to no interest to attend meets from the members. When closing the group, I elected to close my subscription and also to permanently remove all members from the group (i.e. not to nominate anyone else as group subscriber to continue the group). I have written an email to the meetup billing support team today and hope they will refund my amount without any fuss.

Some complaints about meetup.com regarding closing a group:

1. I searched my email account and message section on meetup.com. There is no confirmation email/message about closing the group. If anyone wants to close their group, I strongly suggest to take screenshots of the closing process as there is no other confirmation.

2. I had deleted my credit card details from meetup.com while closing my group. My card has still been charged. I think meetup.com secretly maintains card details even though your account->Settings->Payment Methods section may show that there are no saved cards

3. If anyone closes their meetup group, I suggest check back your account after 1-2 weeks to ensure there is no 'Payment Due' notice.

toma456
5/9/16

My whole social circle are Meet Up friends.

Activity meet up groups are great...especially relating to nature and hiking. These are the two most popular groups in my city. The dance groups are also going strong...both lessons and meeting together at a club. The huge decline has been in general social groups...also dating groups are now dead (never were popular). Tons of singles have paired up doing specific activities ( hiking, etc) rather than 'dating'.

Bottom line...it's all about the organizer. How does he/she welcome newbies, keep people enthused, organize events, etc.

joes15
4/6/16

I'm on several meetups. Mostly I use it for organizing motorcycle rides. I have no complaints.

bam35
12/7/14

Wow! A lot of negative reviews on here . . . . I notice most of the naysayers tend to focus on an incident or anecdotal happening
my experiences have been pretty good especially if you link up with one that is active and has a few organizers and not just one or two. I n my homecity in Canada there is a wide selection to choose from and the larger general activities Meet-Ups have a wide following and a number of events. I've some good acquaintances and widened my social circle far more easily than striking up conversations in a bar.
I've traveled to other cities for and looked up local meet up group(s) and just show up and they've all been welcoming. Some may charge a couple dollars but I understand that there are costs associated with hosting the site and I'm fine with that.

georgew45
7/22/14

Hi I went to my first meetup today and it was great and I am looking forward to the next one.

wallyk
3/9/14

I've been a Meetup organizer for 4 years. I've started several free groups. People need to realize that they are dealing with human beings on 3 levels. 1. Meetup New York. 2. The group organizers. 3. The members. Most organizers are good people who work without pay. Most members are good people too, but expect to run into anything. Never carpool with someone you don't know well. If Meetup members didn't love their groups they wouldn't stay in them for years, and that's the bottom line.

carbonc
3/9/14

You can't "rate" meetup.com.
It's just a website that facilitates peoples' desires to MEET other like-minded people.
If you are crazy, judgemental, paranoid or full of yourself DON'T JOIN A GROUP AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR WARPED PERCEPTIONS.

You can't rate the website, but you can rate a individual meetup group that you've been in, but what's the point? What's the likelihood that anyone using Site Jabber is going to be attending the EXACT SAME GROUP as you?

The few meetup group organizers that I have met and had the opportunity to chat with, always lament about the crazy people that join their group and then complain, whine, $#*! and generally wreak havoc in what is supposed to be a group of people that simply want to share an activity/interest with other like-minded people.

There ARE meetup groups for dating, just as there are for introverts, East-Indian singles 24-33 ... whatever you want, so don't join a group for over 40's and then complain that everyone is over 40.
Jeebus.

donnak14
2/20/14

a little expensive but the results as being a participant are good. To run a site is work and lots of emails. You can set it up not to get the emails
Problems running a group is like running an organization. Only as good as it's members. Stop putting it down already.
Find a different similar site as cheap. ok can't find one...........hmm

phoebeb
7/17/13

Love the meetups, and have made many real friends.

The website has a big problem with scammers, however. Whenever I join a new meetup group, I get several messages from men who are using meetup as a pool of new targets for their scam. The language/phrasing is often the same, as if they cut/paste the bait message.

Beware if you get a message from a man whose profile shows messages from several other women saying "Thank you for the compliment but I don't remember you, where'd we meet again??"

Beware if you get a message from a man whose english is poor, using phrases like:

hello dear
if you don't mind
I will like to know more about
hope to read from you soon
Looking for a serious minded woman for a serious relationship
I am new here
please no games
i will like to meet a serious minded woman for a serious relationship
God bless and please to hear from you soon

If you do get a message like this, click Report - and also send an email to abuse@meetup.com include links to the message you got and to his profile.

If they get enough complaints, maybe they'll be able to adjust the software to filter out certain phrases.

sues24
5/17/13

Some groups are okay, have weekly regulars, and no ulterior motives.
On the other hand I am disappointed in those that are clearly for businesses ..well actually they are not clear about that until the first meetup you go to and then tell you about classes they have and how much it cost..Over 300 dollars for the last one I went to. Had I know this I would never have attended. It's basically advertising their classes without really letting you know that until you're already at the meetup. So then it's a disappointment and a big waste of my time.
I do think there are some good honest meetups. I found some meditation groups that are free or they ask for a minimal donation if you care to make one. I paid the suggested fee of a dollar at one, To help them with the cost of the meetup site.
I've also attended a book group and a general meetup for coffee, and a gamers group. There were plenty of others there. And all of the groups have been running a long time.

To some people that are saying it is for losers and the people are weird. Maybe some of them are odd (to you..whose to say what's odd..maybe you are), but to say they all are is wrong.
I've met a lot of intelligent likable and fun people. These people are not losers, they are people that want to get together and share their knowledge and interests with like minded people. In this way meetup is a great idea.

militiae
4/7/12

There are so many ways to find people with similar interests that you would not have met otherwise.

katinas
3/9/11

I really wanted to join a book club, but I didn't know how to find one. Someone told me about this site, and I checked it out. I joined a historical fiction book club. The first meeting is today, and I am very excited. This seems like the site to go to if you are looking into social networking in your area.

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup