Review of Meetup

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

32 reviews with 2 stars

jons308
1/27/19

I have a title for the name of my group and they somehow changed it and now I can't find out how to get a hold of them. Pretty ridiculous. I've also had a few people trolling my group. Meetup is a good concept...just charge a little more if you're not making enough to hire some customer service reps.

alinat17
8/10/18

Meetup should allow new attendees to any function a Courtesy of no charge on first time to see if they are at all interested. The purpose is combine what is being presented with opportunity to meet soul that resonates with one's mind pattern and soul frequency. Otherwise, please know that for instance with meditations, youtube provides guided meditations and wonderful other instruct construct scenarios....please give functions without fees and a lot more response-on first time. Also location should not have lumped Naples with Fort Myers area-too far to travel.

lisad442
7/9/18

Ive had experiences with meetup too! First they charge a lot to start a group but also they took away all my members when I wanted to charge monthly fees and charge my members the monthly fee only if they decided to attend a meetup, but they changed that! Now my pending members were all deleted and I would have to contact all them one by one! It's horrible only left with less than 100 members when I had over 1000! Meetup really does not want us to have members! They are greedy! Hopefully they will change it back to where it was or I may be leaving meetup for something better!

marshas68
6/23/18

One of your groups, Fun over Fifty in louisville KY needs to be heavily supervised as the organizer appears to suffer from mental illness. She "fell in love" with a new member, but kicked him out when he did not return her affection. Then she kicked out those who supported him and those who supported the supporters! She also will not return dues paid by members she has blocked

robinh173
4/14/18

It used to be great, but the new website is infuriating. It's just so much less informative and with so much more blank white space than the old one. Doing my best to move my members off meetup now so I can one day rely on another platform.

michaelp404
4/8/18

Is it me or is meet up.com becoming a platform for yuppies that live in individual safe spaces and jam radical left wing politics down our throats. I'm having a harder time trying to find a "normal" group that simply likes to play poker, go bowling, play pool or just have drinks and talk about life. If meet up.com can be brought back down to earth that would help a lot!!!!!!!

alanf68
2/9/18

In one of the worst IT disasters ever, programmers committed and EPIC FAIL by allowing management to crush, kill and destroy all the enthusiasm out of the Meetup organizers and mambers who pay the salaries of Meetup.com employees. And Management has cleverly hidden all its employees behind unreachable email addresees and unreachable phone numbers. So most tech support ended Around 12/1/2017 at that point 4 days was typical response time from support@meetup.com - Since then, each week has extended response time much further. Now, If you send a request to support@meetup.com you get a robo auto email within 48 hours telling you to check there FAQs - hah, and to re-email them if you don't find an answer on your own, and you get a spin on the roulette wheel of answers/no answers. All because the Narcissistic dictators who commanded the revamp of the website and all apps, did so, with no feedback from users, with no input from users and no Plan B, No concept of reverting back on any front of there assault on users. They removed feature after feature, changed procedures and did the opposite of there stated goal to "deliver a consistent experience across all platforms". In fact, its now less consistent than it ever was. Bug after Bug after Bug, Missing features and removed functionality in every corner of the app, but Management keeps making the work environment one big party for its employees while users and Organizers frantically email again and again. Most Organizers are fed up and message each other and the members pleading for solutions. But the programmers have abandoned the users who pay there salaries. SO Organizers are taking there communities to other platforms like Facebook, sad, so sad, becasue many good groups thrive on meetup becasue users can be anonomous and unindetified on Cancer support Groups, Rape support groups, Spousal abuse support groups and many more things people dont want everyone in the world to know about. We hope Facebook and other platforms are making changes to absorb the disappointed meetup.com organizers, anonymously. Becasue nobody at Meetup.com mgmt is listening to the uproar and nobody in the IT media community has exposed this debacle, yet.

stephenm196
2/9/18

So, where to start...well, this site is now engineered to be a headache to use on mobile devices.

Want to find a meetup? Whatever you do do NOT sign in. Seriously. When you sign in meetup.com has a profile they use to determine which meetups to display and do not even give you access to the majority of them. Instead, you need to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ to find a meetup. This is not too bad, just bookmark it, but it would be alright if not for the fact that meetup.com at times keeps redirecting you to https://www.meetup.com/apps to try to force you to download their app which of course is spyware.

After you find a meetup group you usually have to log in and then join it. Not a big deal? well, meetup.com's join button is set to not work on mobile devices. To join a group I have to hold my finger on the join button until a context menu appears, select open in new tab, switch to that tab and then tap the join button in the group calendar page that opened in that tab. This has nothing to do with the lack of capabilities in the web browser, i was using an updated version of google chrome. After doing so I was not allowed to join until I upload a picture of myself and the only option presented was to upload a picture from facebook, no options to use a picture I already have on my phone. i did not see any option for using the pictures on my cell phone.

At this point I decided to access the web site from my laptop. Which still requires me to go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to be able to find a meetup group without being profiled and limited in available choices. I also found that when trying to join the same group I was not asked to upload a picture from facebook.

Tip for consumers: Go to https://www.meetup.com/find/ without logging in to see all meetups

If tapping the join group button does not work right click or hold your finger on it and choose open in new tab to access a page with a join button that allows you to join the group.

judim14
1/7/18

I am not normally a complainer but as the organizer of a social meetup, I am totally fed up with trying to use the website and just go with a Facebook page and use eVite. It seems I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to address an issue I'm having and I feel my time is better spent with other things. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to mark certain people who RSVP'd they were coming to an event as no-shows but am coming up empty. Plus I marked the people who did come and Meetup still maintained the head count for all who RSVP'd including the no-shows that I did not mark as attending!!!

Also - the site is not the least bit attractive and just difficult to navigate. I think by now (1-7-18) any issues they said they were having/fixing should have been remedied. Meetup is not cheap and I have a hard time justifying the amount we are paying, so it may be time to tell Meetup goodbye!

stacyh58
1/2/18

It sucks! Has an organizer I find the "new and improved" Meetup.com terrible. It's difficult to upload pictures, make comments, you can't edit attendance, all features we use to be able to use. You can't see the page sponsors. Sorry meetup but it's hard to manage a page from my phone, especially when many of my page files are already on my laptop. Not sure we will continue to pay for the bad service much longer.

kayd170
12/17/17

I have tried several times to upload pictures today, but they won't upload. I tried with both Edge and IE. The pictures are not very big, and I COULD upload pictures 3 weeks ago or so. When I click on Add Pictures, the screen gets darker and just sits there, with no pictures being uploaded.

rir6
6/25/17

A few years back i use to be a part of a groups that brought the cultures of black and Asian together, while having fun and making friend. I've only been to three meet-ups and there less than amusing, there were huge age gaps more men are older than the women in the group(some are teens! ew). Most the women act slutty around the already pervy,socially awkward men, everyone's shallow and kinda jerks, thinks its for dating. I waited some years later and wanted to re-join to see if there any changes, and i was denied because i didn't have a profile pic(for privacy reasons), this group is a joke! I never any friends in that group and if your not thin or pretty they treat you like crap and ignore you.One of the Asian male organizers were really rude to me for no reason. They think their challenging stigma or some crap.

Tip for consumers: Avoid! the women are $#*!es & the men are asswholes

peterf72
5/14/17

I am the organizer of a Meetup group and I just had a simple question, which I hoped I could email or call to find the answer. The Help page is a total joke with almost no information. It would be one thing if I was just an attendee, but I am a paying member of this service. Is it legal to offer a service with absolutely no way to contact the company? Don't they have some responsibility to assist their customers?

Until this time, I felt very positive about Meetup, but I simply cannot believe their lack of customer service or even anyone that can help me. I guess they have my money and that's all they care about...rather than having good customer service. Maybe customer service is a thing of the past in our new world order of millennials?

ronnyd9
9/22/16

meeting organizers were hard to get ahold of and I keep getting a bunch of alerts after unsubscribing.

jennyj33
4/30/16

I joined several meetup groups and found all were full of leaders and participants that are are socially disfunctional outcasts. For a better experince, just join a legitamate club. Or if you are that lonely, just go to a park and start talking to a bum sitting on a bench. You'll get the same outcome.

bradc32
3/8/16

So apparently, it is just a bunch of "Like" buttons for your personal interests. It seems like the kind of thing, in this horrible age of instant gratification, consumerism, and hyper-materialism, that people just go in - start clicking away on all the things they would like to do, then never show up to a meet up . Personally, here in SoCal, they are all really too far to drive and be stuck in traffic. Plus, hardly anyone ever RSVP's. Guess they are too busy at other Meetups? Wrong. They are too busy worrying about themselves, and watching reality TV to care about socializing. What a sad more on the decline of our society toward 3x5 mobile screens . . .

michellel110
2/2/16

Young newbies of PBC is a group that is only there to sell and do drugs. They should shut it down

angelah50
10/19/15

I set up a Meetup group, and many people joined at first, but only one or two people would ever RSVP and actually show up. I started getting rid of members who hadn't looked at the page in four months. Members would complain about where the meetups were, and I would change the event to a place they'd go to, and no one would go. I was open to suggestions, and held several meetups at places members suggested, only to have one person show up. Then there are the weirdos. Some of the members just did not make me feel safe to be around based on their comments, and I realised that Meetup doesn't do anything to really check to see who these people really are. I'd love for them to have something that verifies the person's identity and make sure these people are who they say they are. I would get so many new member requests from people with pictures of their room, a cartoon, or some weird name. I would clearly state that they had to have a picture that shows their face, and first name and last initial if they wanted to join, but no, I still got requests like that. I shut it down recently because I was tired of paying per month for no one to show up. I really think if you had to pay just to join Meetup in general, about $5 a month, or were charged a certain amount for each group you join, people would go to more events and take joining groups more seriously. I thought Meetup would be a great way to meet people, but I haven't had a good experience in this area.

rayw34
9/7/15

A recent hike (scramble) into the mountains above Vancouver, Canada turned into a trip from hell. The theme of the day was arrogance, and the condescending remarks began 20 minutes after the meetup group left the parking lot.
The leader of the group was an older guy who didn't seem to be lacking in any social skills, until he attempted to 'educate' the newest member by barking "listen to what I'm saying" less than 30 minutes in. The pearl of wisdom he couldn't wait to share was simply the trail marker. Certainly worth a little awkwardness, I guess.
Never mind that I'd done this same scramble 3 times before. He heard me tell him that. In fact, he only allowed me to join his group because he felt I had enough experience and the right temperament to fit in. Who would have guessed?
An hour later the next lesson was on how to pack an appropriate lunch. Something you'd teach your children, but hey, any information is good information, right?
And on it went. Lessons on how to be a responsible parent, while hiking of course. From childless master to student with two boys. No matter. And then something about how to avoid pushing people beyond their limits, 'appropriate' trail conversations, other such stimulating topics. And all following the theme of arrogance.
Yes indeed, this man had very admirable leadership skills. It must have him taken years to master them, no doubt!
So, finally, nearing the summit, comes the "first real lesson" from master to student. Wind. Yes, that's right, wind. The almight power of wind. The make or break point. How did he say it? "Let me give you your first real lesson."
All prior lessons were rubish, I guess. This was the key you couldn't get anywhere else but from his lips. "Always pay attention to the wind." It's not that I didn't agree. I just couldn't see how anyone might think it was 'my first real lesson.' Crazy me, I guess.
The final straw broke me completely. I totally lost it. We met two young hikers going up as we descended to about a quarter the way down the trail. His commanding 'advice' was to turn around because they simply could not managed it before darkness fell. He seemed to resign his position when they shrugged him off, until of course, in my foolishness, I wished them good luck. Absolutely unacceptable! How dare I do such a thing! Their life was now in my hands, according to my new lord commander. If I'd had a light saber at that point, well, I'm not sure what might have happened. Instead a rapid succession of four letter words spewed out. Verbal diarrhea!!
Damn it!! Why couldn't I give him a smack down like in the movies, 'yo mamma' style! Pathetic really. Sad. He was the level headed one now, and I was crazy. Nobody coming to my defense! Definitely not his mostly silent and agreeable hiking buddy!
Wake up call. Time to join a debate club!

richardj5
8/12/15

I'm giving this site more than the lowest rating because it's a way to meet a lot of folks with similar interests fast (and maybe the only way on the Web). Be warned however that signing up will bring tons of spam. The site offers settings that lead one to believe the spam can be controlled, but without creating your own independent filters that's really impossible.

For example, the site will send you solicitations to join additional meetup groups based on what Meetup deems to be your interests. It also invites you to check those interests on a provided list. One would think that the solicitations would be sent according to the interests you've listed--but not so. For example, even though as an atheist I have listed "atheist" and "humanism" and nothing relating to meditation or acting, I've received today a solicitation for a Prayer and Meditation group, and another for The Actors Alliance. In response to my complaints I get double-talk ("...we try to strike a balance between recommendations based on each member's current interests and suggestions for Meetups they might not have thought to seek out themselves").

The above is just one of the many many kinds of spam Meetup will send to members. Some of these can be controlled by settings, but these settings are a challenge to find. For others there are no settings at all, such as the repeated pleas to take over from a group leader who has resigned.

laurac69
1/23/15

I can't pay my organizer dues on Meetup, so I am going to lose my group. This, after I've been on automatic pay for an entire year. And they have no mechanism to take my credit card number other than by computer - and their payment screen doesn't work. Now they are asking me to clear all the cookies off my computer to see if that helps. It's so frustrating. They need some good competition. Is there another website that does the same kind of thing?

Tip for consumers: Be prepared to spend some time figuring things out...and in the end, you may not be able to resubscribe.

sarahc63
5/17/14

As a member, it's easy to join and is free. So far no really terrible experiences. I've used it for years.

However, I decided to become an organizer. What I didn't know before I hosted was they charge you a monthly fee. This is how they make money. However, they gave me a discount so I decided to test it out for six months. That's not my complaint though.

I had an issue with some members in the group. I wanted to ask the community of organizers on Meetup how they usually deal with general situations like mine. I couldn't find any other forums but the one on their site. I searched for a similar answer and found none, so I submitted my question to the forum.

I got a reply shortly after from their community manager stating that they couldn't post my question, but did not specify why. He just gave me a generic statement that this was a community forum for best practices. How was my question not about best practices? However, he continued to offer me some generic advice I found unhelpful.

I got the feeling that because my question was negative, I wasn't allowed to voice it. They wanted to hide it and didn't want to make others in the community aware of what could happen in their groups. What an incredibly discouraging experience. It made me feel isolated from other hosts, and unable to turn to anyone for support. What's the point of "meetup" if you can't turn to your community?

My thoughts about this company: be weary of anyone that tries to hide something from the community especially when it relates to safety. I'll be cancelling my account when my six months is up.

janek14
4/7/14

I have attended a few of the Meetup groups. Most have been very good. The one's that try and sell their business services eg. Workshops, Courses etc. are one's to stay away from, especially when they fail to omit a charge on their 'Meetup Page'. You would think if they are trying to do the 'sales pitch' and generate business, they should pay for the room - as most are in libraries and very reasonable to hire. Very deceptive.

davidk78
2/3/14

There is bad and good. If they don't like you or you don't fit in, you re just treated like dirt. Some of the organizers are very nice and others are ignorant. I already talked to organizer who had serious trust issues with meeting new people. Well duh! What are you doing on meetup? I guess it's like everything else. You have good and bad but I did meet some really cool people. There are better ways of meeting people. Oh and if you re new to a group and you re not liked, some organizers will delete the event!!!

petera40
2/2/14

There are some pretty good groups on it, but I was unfairly banned from a dating group recently. I didn't fill in the boxes properly because I was not sure what to write about, so I was declined. I did try to do a better job of things the next time I filled in the registration form, yet I got banned. The person in charge is clearly rude and obnoxious. I was reported to the police too, but I felt I just needed her to explain her reason. It totally could have ruined January for me.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup