Review of Meetup

arbitration-opt-out@meetup.com

271 reviews with 1 star

debbyq1
2/4/19

I'd been looking for a group to join, any group that I had something in common with. One group was NYC Fibroids Meetup. Well this was over 3 years ago, and I'm still pending, whatever that means. I then found our Meetup was acquired by WeWork. What a company that deals in spaces for rent has to do with an online group such as Meetup I'll never know. The organizer of the group never responded. I came to the realization they were exclusive

josephr449
2/4/19

Our meetup for a club was not getting much, if any response. I swear I set my profile/account to NOT auto-renew. I figured when the renewal notice came, we could evaluate whether or not to continue. I just got a notification that I was auto-renewed and billed for another six months. I have been searching the web site to see what I messed up. Apparently, they have changed there methods, and all subscriptions auto-renew. This must be something new, since they mention they will not refund if you failed to turn off auto-renew. Which you can't turn off any place I can find. So, if you were foolish enough to sign up, make a note on your calendar to cancel before the six months ends. Believe me, you will want to cancel.

kg87
1/30/19

The meetups look good from the outside. But the private ones are exclusionary. They ask for your information, then turn it against you. They do it in a nasty way, pretending to be nice. I would avoid them at all costs.

purei
1/16/19

The organizer, Kat, doesn't read her emails, can't accommodate those that got accepted as attending the event, and can't handle feedback when told that she's not reliable or responsive. She accepted 19 attendees for a trip to Moab and later limits the number of available spaces to 8 for the tour. She doesn't respond to the ones who signed up first for the trips until 15 days later. What a joke. Worst Meetup I have ever run across.

rods58
1/10/19

Setting up a meetup group was easy. Paying was easy. After that, nothing was easy, and support was slow. On line help was dense. Very frustrating.

bobt280
1/9/19

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. A nightmare for event organisers. Went from a terrific feature-rich site to one that continues to be less and less functional. No question that they are doing everything they can to chop code and reduce data usage. I'm an organizer for a group with over 5K members and we are dumping them.

robinh274
1/3/19

Bad app trying to be social network like facebook, users not important. posts/comments/messages disappear. Try and find something, I dare you. You click on it and they take you to another thing they want you sign up for.

donaldg126
1/2/19

I have paid for this service, but they lost bio and all the information I put into the site before paying. It is not a very well run program. Very disorganized.
I will contact the Better Business Bureau to get my money back.

elonh
12/2/18

I'm just an average person looking to meet normal people. Alas meetup.com is useless for that. Most of the groups are scams selling something. The rest are run by highly biased people e.g. who spam you with their political views.

leapsterl
11/11/18

I organized a meetup 3 years ago , and my hosts stole it from me , when i contacted meetup they werent cooperative so i will take legal approach

The meetup has overall 80% bad quality , ran by bunch of thieves who didn't do the work themselves and stole it from the original founder

overall its a no go

teeb22
11/9/18

The first thing I understood after joining Meetup.com is that many of the groups are exclusionary. It just doesn't separate by interests, such as playing a musical instrument, or a writers group, that makes sense, But often groups set about having people join that are exactly like them, certain age, a certain gender, a certain ethnicity, a certain race, a certain religion, etc. How else will we get to know one another. I've gone on walking group meetups where there are almost 100 people and no one talks to each other. They just walk. I tried striking up a conversation on several occasions to no avail. I went to a some movie and lunch or dinner meetups, no one seems to have an interest of getting together outside that particular event. It's kind of sad that people don't want to be around other people who are not exactly like them by race, religion, etc. I guess that's the condition of our country.

garyj129
11/6/18

I signed up to create a meetup group over the weekend. Nothing risque. Nothing shady. Just a group to enable people and business owners to develop and maintain a WordPress site. Before I could even announce my first meetup, I got an email stating that my group had been cancelled. Granted, I did plan on coming back to add more details to my profile. According to the email I received, my group "wasn't a fit" for meetup. No specific reason. Just a link to their terms page. Also that it would take 4-7 days to refund my money. Hogwash. If they have the time to review every new group, then they can reach out to new members to correct the issues before cancelling their group and making them wait 4-7 business days to refund their money.

tm205
10/20/18

Las Vegas Modeling and Photography....I didn't know it was going to be handled like a professional business as it is only a meetup to help teach, educate, and meet other people in this. The organizer, Gia, seems to be a bit too forward with people if any issues having certain people photos that they like as their favorites same to her photographers but doesn't seem to be fair and reasonable. She tells me after I realized my single photo wasn't out there that this is the way it operates in the industry whether I like it or not, the way she is putting it. Now her last comment back to me was 'no one asked me to come to this' as it only is where anyone can come to this to see if it's a good fit or good group. I"m shocked of her taking charge how she handles customers coming in. Not sure if she's been doing this in charge thing for long or not. She has two other assistance on this program assisting her.

annas355
10/4/18

They sell your information to 3rd party companies. Right now I have BMI stalking my phone and they said they got my information from Meetup. Sorry BMI and Meetup.. I already have the music licenses I need.

maiaras
9/19/18

None customer service support. Impossible to cancel. Until for reset the password it's a problem. No phone number to call. The only email that I find in the web site they sent me this answer -"Yikes! It looks like you replied to a notification from info@meetup.com.
Unfortunately, replies to this email address are routed to an unmonitored mailbox, and no one will read them." No one will read them?? Such it a disrespectful answer

marthaw79
9/15/18

"Waste Of Time" if you are starting a new group. Had over two hundred members, arranged three public meetings in restaurants, not one person came, despite a few responses, over two years. I wrote again and again to my member list, sent "love" messages of thanks to everyone who joined - NADA. Remember: that's with more than two hundred people who signed up. Trying to end the subscription now and have to go through many hoops to do so. I feel like I'm in Meetup purgatory. (I think it's fine if you ALREADY have a steady, loyal group that has been meeting for a while and just want to possibly get new members. Wish I could take back my time and money. Zilch results for me.

namratak
8/17/18

They have made it extremely difficult to cancel subscriptions. You are billed even after cancelling a subscription.

sarahf210
8/13/18

I met the most $#*!tyiest people while attending these groups people are very rude and unsociable and kick you off the group for their enjoyment the four years I was there , I was glad to give it up and go to other groups I wouldn't recommend them as they also money grab you all the time and if you don't do what they want or meet their expectations they then remove you from the group, nasty people !

jimc439
8/13/18

christopherb325
8/8/18

What good is a Meetup site that doesn't recognise your perfectly valid locations for a Meetup, or provide any help to add a new location, or even just enforce one if the Meetup site doesn't recognise it itself. It's just become pointless. The whole layout is shoddy and clunky.

celestinef1
8/5/18

I ran a very popular Meetup group for 2 years. I invested a lot of time organising the meetings, findings venues, communicating with my group. Then with minimal warning Meetup shut down my group. When I complained they did not respond at all. I don't actually think there is any customer services there. It is run by an algorithm and an automated service. I was paying for this service - i was a CUSTOMER and yet this was the way they treated me. Meetup was taken over by WeWork in the end of 2017. I think WeWork has a very different agenda to the original Meetup. The most important thing to remember is that when something goes wrong Meetup is COMPLETELY unresponsive. you can send any number of emails to their support address and they will just ignore you.... Oh and then the final irony, a week later it sends you an automated survey 'How did we do???' You didn't! You didn't do anything!
Be aware if you are considering investing your time and money into creating a group. There is a HUGE risk that Meetup will just wipe it all out at the press of a button - and that will be the end of it. Meetup is 'tech arrogance' at its worst.

sarias
7/30/18

web logins dont work; terrible and shockingly poor. no point trying to sign up and use meetup when you can't even login easily or join groups. lol

jays346
7/27/18

Meetup should reduce their cost. Even consider make it free. They don't provide any services and their (IT) platform is so poorly made it is shocking.

roberti58
7/9/18

This is a horrible site. I must have been asked to login at least twenty plus times in less than a hour. I can't even respond to a message that was sent to me. I'm told I have to be a member to reply - WHICH I AM. Not sure this is worth my time and effort.

colleenk50
7/7/18

Nothing is user friendly and drop down boxes don't work for fields where "information is required."
Maybe they are frustrating us to the point of signing up with their own venues which... surprise...they charge for.

What is truly interesting is who is supporting the #resist agenda. All these organizations and their leaders have past or present connection to the top politicians. #Resist is a simply a part of the agenda to justify the taking away people's guns and basic rights. They want you to resist so they can sit there and lie once again how it wasn't their fault and there was no other choice. Then Meetup comes up with their new rules which makes you sign your rights to privacy away just to be a member. Seems to me Meetup was also part of the agenda right from day one. And to think people stand up so proud and claim they are educated. What a joke, they controlled your education from the day you were born. If you really want to resist, educate yourself to the truth of what this world is about and where we are headed.

By Gerry S.

Hi Karen, each group leader sets the groups purpose and requirements so yes, many groups do not discriminate on marital status. To be sure, contact the group leader for the group you are interested in

By Susan S.

On the front page/landing page for the group click the more tab, then select "report this group"

By Scott H.

Check out uGetTogether- it's a new competitor with the same idea, but much better implementation, and a concern for users. https://www.uGetTogether.com

By Eric K.

It doesn't exist.

By Valerie P.

The only way to contact them is support@meetup.com and they only answer your questions when it's convenient for them. I am an organizer and have sent them several emails over the past month and I've received only 2 responses. The rest of the issues have not been address and I am still waiting on a reply.

By Jamile S.

Yes. Organizers pay a fee.

By Laura C.

@ MW. because they suck for service and protecting the members, but we all know that if you pay you get fantastic service right?

By Scott H.

Most complaints about organizers have to deal with disagreements about how things should be run. If you don't like the organizer or how they run the show, find another Meetup. I have been a successful organizer for many years and there are personalities I just don't gel with. I look at the numbers in my group and listen to feedback and know it is not always me.

By Susan S.

When a organizer makes it personal how do you make a complaint.

By sherry A.
Questions? Get answers from the Meetup staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Meetup