Review of Material World

Tel: +1-866-674-5842
info@materialworld.co

gemmac41
10/31/19
Don't fall for their $1 promo. Worst part of material world was the following month when I got a message saying my next box was ready. I was given NO chance/warning to cancel before they charged again. They also have really bad customer service. They place all burden on us, the customers, to be able to track down one of their difficult-to-reach customer reps to be able to cancel your subscription. The way they function is crooked. DO NOT try material world. They're horrible.
gretcheni2
10/19/19
They charged me for a dress I returned. The only way to contact them is via email, of which they do NOT respond!!!

I will be contacting the BBB. Such a shame because it is an excellent idea.
macg19
10/16/19
marinaw18
10/15/19
miad27
10/3/19
I'm so happy with my box. It was my first one but I was really excited to get this Iro jacket which I would never be able to afford on my normal budget. I also like the idea of helping the planet too :)
kellys508
9/20/19
I had sold some items to them on consignment and my first set of clothing I felt was fair not the best but fair. I sent in a second amount and it was less than fair but I still took it they were items that I was trying to clear out my inventory. Apparently when I hit that I wanted a credit I assumed it was the credit to my stripe account only to find out later that I had inadvertently pressed a credit for purchases. So I sent a note asking them to reverse it explaining to them the situation and they came back and said no once it was defined as a credit they could not reverse it. I have never heard anything so asinine in my life. I will certainly not send any of my items to them again.
allih4
9/13/19
I feel like box works great for me and haven't had any issues. It's easy, all I have to do is get my box and just ship back what I don't really like. Plus everything is at really good prices. For my lifestyle and budget it works!
gracem182
9/10/19
Paid the styling fee then changed my mind so emailed them within the hour asking to cancel, then they didn't get back for a few days and said it's too late to cancel and I'm getting my box regardless. Box comes in and it's very old clothing that I would never wear so I packed it all back up and took it to USPS. Then got an email a few days later saying I'm being charged for everything since they haven't been notified by FedEx that it's been sent back. So upset that I signed up
ashleyf140
8/16/19
I have NEVER wrote a review in my life and I feel its absolutely necessary for me to say something about how terrible this company is.

To summarize it for you:
*They don't send you designer clothing
*What they do send you, are clothes that smell, have stains and are very worn in
*They WILL NOT cancel your account and will continue to keep sending you items
*There is NO way to delete your credit card information
*They WILL charge you for items you did NOT keep or want
*Their customer service lies to you and are incompetent

I received one box and I didn't like any of the clothes - they were not cute and smelled/had stains. So, I called and emailed customer service to cancel my account and I returned all the items. Well, they charge me for some and are continuing to send me boxes.

This service isn't worth wasting your time on.
lanar39
8/14/19
I was so excited and regardless of the reviews I wanted to love it. I received my first box and it was okay and then my second box I got one of the same items I returned. Then I tried to cancel my subscription because I was paying for a styling fee that was subpar. Then they said they would send me a waived fee for the box and I said okay I'll give it one more shot and then they canceled my box without notifying me. I had to reach out for it's status and they said they would send me one at a later date but I was moving so it would not work.
therezas
8/13/19
I paid $29 and got absolutely nothing for my money. The clothes that came was not even close to anything in my profile or what I explained to them. I have been writing several emails and they don't even offer the money back or nothing. Such a shame I had so high hopes and totally got scammed.
nedyf1
8/2/19
I can't say enough bad things about this company. I sent 10 items to trade in. All high end designer labels barely worn. They made ridiculously low offers for 2 items and they gave me the choice of donating the other items to charity or paying $2.00 for each item to be returned. This company should be reported to the better business bureau and put out of business. How many bad reviews do they need to receive for this to happen?
They should be ashamed of themselves. Stay away!!
gesaj
8/1/19
I only ever received two boxes, and both were meh. I don't know if they use some sort of algorithm or random chance or what, but I don't think they actually read my requests and/or feedback.
I also got charged for unwanted items of my second box which I returned two days before the deadline.
Finally, customer service is slow, unhelpful and unprofessional. Would definitely not recommend.
katym50
7/31/19
I decided to purchase a membership after being convinced Material World had nice clothing. First of all my stylist "Tammy" finished by box about 30 minutes after I completed my style questionnaire. It was filled with absolutely nothing that I said I was drawn to. I asked for things more trendy and they filled my box with things that I would wear if I worked in finance (very conservative dresses, wrinkly button up shirts, long boring black skirts). I reached out via the live chat requesting to cancel my membership and nobody responded. I sent an email and not a single person has yet to respond. This place is a TOTAL scam. They also won't let you write comments on any of their social media sites (it's quite clear why). If I could give those place a 0 for my review I would. Beware!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you follow the policy exactly or they won’t refund you the money.

aimeew35
7/17/19
I have been trying to cancel my membership for SIX months and keep getting new boxes!!!!!! I respond to every email asking for my feedback telling them to cancel my membership. I email them telling them to cancel my membership!!! No response whatsoever. I just received another email that my new box was on it's way! Of course there is no phone number on their website...UGH
hannahb197
7/14/19
Trade in my Self Portrait dress that had only worn once and they did not accept it because they said there were stains on which there isn't. Also, their box is horrible. The stylist clearly had bad taste and the price is too expensive for preowned. Don't waste your money.
christineb392
7/10/19
I recently tried out material world and did two boxes. I liked a few of the items they sent me and ended up buying 1 top total of both boxes. I paid $60 for the top (including the styling fee) which felt pretty reasonable for a silk Joie top. Overall, I don't feel like the boxes matched my style yet you still have to pay the $30 styling fee.

After the first box, I updated my style profile to better reflect what I was looking for and still didn't feel like a great fit. I have a very casual lifestyle, work in tech and wanted a few summer items. Most of the things I received in the box felt very "preppy" or "business casual" but really I just wanted a few great summer pieces.

I thought two rounds felt like a solid try and really like the top I bought!
lear30
7/9/19
Cancelled it and they refused to refund the "styling fee" which consisted of what looked like randomly selecting things that aren't selling from their ebay shop.

Issued a chargeback with Chase and took care of it.

Use trunk club or stitch fix instead - this company is horribly run
celc2
7/5/19
They keep sending you packages without any consent. The survey is so ridiculous, they send you the clothing you do not want or would wear. They would charge your card if you did not return the items in 4 days. The package needs to be returned in UPS. They simply want your MONEY. Be careful, not to fall this trap. Never sign up for this website.
By the way, you received your package on Friday. You easily forget to return the package in 4 days!
megand118
6/26/19
I tried selling items from my closet with my Material Box and earned pretty much what I paid for my Acne dress last month. It was super easy, just added stuff in my return bag and got cash.
ontayaw
6/20/19
WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH! They keep charging my card, I canceled multiple times and they keep charging me. LOST MY silk Vince skirt, never paid me. I have reached out multiple times with no response. I have to report them to my bank to stop their payment.
DO NOT EVERY SIGN UP WITH THEM!
hannahc104
6/17/19
I have reached out twice with no response. I notified them that I have not received my box when I got a notification that it had been delivered. Still, I am getting emails that I will be charged for all items if I don't make my selection in the next "11 hours" and then make a return. It's one thing to have a product that is mediocre, but if your customer service is bad (or nonexistent like this one appears to be) that is just unacceptable. I have even tried to DM them on Instagram at this point because I just can't get a hold of them. DO NOT DO IT.
tashab33
6/17/19
I like the idea you can sell stuff with your material box returns. I started sending in stuff with things I wasn't keeping from my Box which was really easy and I got shopping credit for my next Box. One of the offers was low for this theory top I had, it was like $10 when I paid over $100 but at the same time it was better than just donating it or having it just sit in my closet
marissab18
6/17/19
-5 star if i could -- i just dont get it, does anyone read my style profile? I had heard bad reviews about this before but i decided to try it because i did not have the time to go shopping but definitely do not recommend. I was sent a preview of items and was so eager to see but sadly they were all for the winter when I live in Texas and its over 100 degrees, no thanks!! I understand its all preowned items but maybe they should make it a priority to have relative items available for the stylists to use. I even contacted the CEO, her email is accessible via linkedin, expressing how unhappy I was but never heard back from her. This company is a fraud. do not use.
annam530
6/15/19
Material Box is such a great service for me! I'm a stay at home mom so I love having someone pick out my clothes for me and just send it to my home. I use other subscription services too and I honestly don't even think I would shop any other way

I liked that it was designer clothing. I had read a good review in a fashion magazine of good repute.

By Gretchen I.

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Material World