Review of MadisonSeating

service@madisonseating.com

10 reviews with 3 stars

patriciam583
12/12/18

They made a mistake with my order but apologized and have handled it well. I regret my complaint yesterday

jamesd755
10/23/18

On the first shipment, both chairs arrived completely broken and not at the fault of FedEx because the boxes were in great shape. When I contacted Madison, they offered me 70% off to keep the 2 chairs. How funny is that. Why in the heck would I want or pay for 2 broken chairs. I understand why and it's because of the shipping cost they didn't want to eat. So I refused their offer and they sent out 2 more chairs which satisfied the deal. Unfortunately, I had to wait another 10 days for those to ship out. When there is a problem with the first order, I would expect the second shipment would have been escalated if you want to be known for good customer service. But, the bottom line is that customer service did fix the issue. I would consider buying from the again despite the issues because you can't find Steelcase Leap chairs anywhere for $250 that are not used. They are open boxed items, but I don't care as long as they are in great shape and function correctly. In the end, the complete transaction took over a month, but I'm a patient person to some degree and the second shipment was good.

michaels1541
7/9/18

The most frustrating aspect of dealing with this company was their return policy. Be advised that should you have ANY issues, they require you to send the entire chair back to them for service. To be fair, they will cover any problems with the chair, but you will be covering the shipping (as stated in their warranty), which, for a chair, was around $50 each way for me. So a $600 used chair could end up costing you $700-$800 or more over the life of the warranty.

One of the problems that I had concerned one of the chair arms breaking 7 months after purchase. Initially, the company insisted I spend $100 on shipping the entire chair rather than allowing me to send only the broken arm. After I refused, they told me the other option was to sell me the replacement part (they valued the part, a bolt, at $39.99. I bought one at the local hardware store for $0.58)

After much back and forth, the company, to their credit, did offer to send the part I needed as a one time courtesy, after which, should anything go wrong, even another bolt breaking, I would have to strictly adhere to the warranty as stated (i.e. $100 shipping). In the end we were able to resolve the issue. I purchased a part locally and repaired the chair on my own.
EDIT: Annie, the supervisor has informed me that despite the original email they sent me, the company does work with customers to provide courtesies like additional parts where necessary)

tldr - The prices on the chairs are great and the company WILL honor their warranty as written, but for even small issues expect to pay full shipping each way, which can be expensive.

FINAL NOTE: The customer service was initially unpleasant to deal with and very curt, but the managing supervisor, Annie, was incredibly nice and did a great job explaining things to me in a pleasant manner, once it escalated to her.

thomasc222
3/8/18

Office chairs are expensive, and Madison specializes in refurbished chairs and a fraction of the cost for a new chair. Solid business model, and I (obviously) knew that I wasn't going to get an original, like-new chair for 85% off of retail, but I took my chances with them. My chair arrived 3 weeks late, but was well packed and looked new mechanically. However, the fabric is noticeably lower quality than the stock OEM weave and the chair padding was not up to OEM par either. I've used this exact chair at my company for years, and I know how it should look and feel.

I left a 3-star product review on their site stating basically what I just posted above--that the chair mechanics looked great, but that the refurbished padding and fabric were both really poor quality compared to OEM, and that the fabric swatches they have on their own site didn't match the poor quality fabric I received on my chair. They edited my 3-star review and removed the information I described regarding the fabric and padding. They also changed my product review to a 5-star review, which is deceptive and unethical in my opinion.

In fairness, after posting an initial 1-star review here, customer service contacted me and assuaged me a bit, hence my reason for bumping to a 3-star review here. It's not worth the time, cost, and hassle of returning, even after she generously offered to waive the restocking fee. It's just not worth the hassle for me. For the price it is not a bad chair per se, and I will probably get the padding replaced and reupholstered with better quality materials at some point, since the chair frame, levers, and hydraulics are actually in pretty solid shape. That said, had I seen this in person first, I probably would not have purchased it, especially since I now know that they censor and edit product reviews on their own site. Would I buy from Madison again? Probably not.

jeongl
2/17/17

I recently purchased the aeron chair. There is lots of scratch on the one of arm rest. I didn't read full terms that 'open box' is including the refurbished items. So, it's my fault and I don't care for the scratches since it's much cheaper than the original price.

The thing is...tilt tension, forward tilt and tilt limiter didn't work. I have been using the Aeron chair in the office more than 4 years, so I am very familiar with it. I requested if they could send me the problematic part only for replacement because I don't want to re-pack the heavy chair again and live without chair(I throw out my old one when it was delivered and I also discarded the package box.)

Madison Seating replied that they can exchange the chair once I send back the chair although they cannot send me the portion only.

I said I will keep the malfunction chair. Tilt doesn't work but I don't use that function a lot..to be honest.. and I really don't want to disassemble and re-pack the chair again. So, basically it was my choice.

Just...it would be perfect if they have done checking every functions are working before shipping out (considering that it took 3 weeks-14 business days-to get my chair but I know actual shipping only took 2 days)

Customer service replied very fast and service itself was good. I thought that I just got what I pay for and should deserve it. that's all. I am just not patient enough to wait for another chair and too bothered to re-pack the chair.

stevenw72
1/11/16

I previously had posted about not receiving a refund for a returned chair. I posted a very negative review. I then received an email from Madison Seating saying they mailed the check about 45 days earlier to my address except there was no suite number. I will have to take their word for it. They are sending me a check to my complete address, suite number included. So I had the following issues:
1. Chair advertised was black. Once added to cart it was sahire. I did not re-check the color in the cart hence the return.
2. Return received by Madison Seating was never processed to refund me.
3. I called and emailed many times and could speak with nobody who could resolve my issue.
4. They said they mailed me a check 45 days earlier but nobody told me this.

The mitigating circumstances to all this is the amount of time that had passed. Approximately a year and a half had past before I discovered I had not been reimbursed on my Mastercard. I had furnished an office and did not discover the missing reimbursement until I was doing my taxes. Per their office they cannot research back that long over the phone. In all fairness, assuming I receive my replacement check, I cannot say they did not make things right. I can say I did not speak with anybody to help me until after I posted my previous really bad review.

johnh279
12/29/14

I am updating this review: A supervisor from Madison seating contacted me and went through my issues with me. They sent me a new chair with the options I expected in my original order free of charge and made arrangements for me to return the original chair free of charge. They went above and beyond to resolve the issue and I appreciate this effort. I still feel the first line customer service was lacking in their desire to help with my issue or consider my position but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Still up in the air if I will shop with them again.

This company was initially hard to deal with. I didn't feel I got what I ordered and dealing with them to try and resolve the issue was difficult. I tried to work with them to get the correct option and was even willing to pay more for it but they were inflexible and unhelpful. They did contact me later and we worked it out.

Tip for consumers: See full review

taniak4
11/7/14

Previous purchase history had always been great until this most recent attempt. After receipt of 2 incorrect sized chairs, returns & ultimate refund we went with another company. MadisonSeating's responsiveness was not as prompt as I would have liked & they made assumptions that I was wrong with my claims.

janetg13
10/31/14

The company is legitimate, and sent the correct product. However, plastic piece for the arm adjust was broken, and from the looks of it, I'd have to send the entire chair back to get it replaced. I'm busy, I just don't have time for that, and am just 'dealing' with having to use a wrench to adjust the arm on the chair.

larrym42
10/26/13

I ordered a leap chair and got it in 5 business days free via fedex ground. Chair seems new and arrived in good condition, but this is in no-way a "steelcase" leap chair in leather. I didn't actually expect that for the money, and to be fair, their website doesn't say "steelcase", but that is what they lead you to believe by calling it a Leap chair. The leather seems more like stiff vinyl, nothing like the leather steelcase would use. The leg assemblies say made in the USA all over them, but no other brand name or designations anywhere on the chair. Knock-off furniture? For sure, so... Buyer beware. Still a decent chair for the money, but I just received it, so I cannot speak for the warranty or how long this "fake" will last.

Hi Joyce. Feel free to reach out to our customer care department by emailing customerservice@madisonseating.com

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Alice. Thank you for your inquiry! Our records indicate that you placed an order with our company on 5/19/15. At that time, you were told the delivery time frame would be around 10-14 business days. Your chair is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which is right within the time frame we estimated. The chair you purchased was part of our clearance sale section and the prices are reduced considerably so that yourr savings will be several hundred dollars. Due to the tremendous response on our clearance sale items, the delivery time gets estimated at 10-14 business days. Our customer's are willing to wait the extra few days on the shipping since our prices and services cannot be beat. Your purchase includes a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and 10 year warranty with Madisonseating.com. Feel free to contact our customer service department directly for more information relating specifically to your order. Enjoy your new chair!

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Joyce, Our company name is Madisonseating.com.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Patricia. We understand there was an error in the color chair you received. We offered to pick up the chair at our expense and issue a full refund as we are now sold out of the blue Aeron chair. We did not intentionally ship you an incorrect color chair. Mistakes happen. This was an honest mistake done by a packer, probably due to the holiday rush. The color black and blue are hard to discern on a mesh chair. Please return the chair at this point as your reaction to the error has been a tad excessive.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Lonnie. We do not simply cancel orders without there being a good reason. Your placed (2) separate orders with us and it appears you are confused by your purchases. The first order was processed successfully with the payment you provided and shipped in a timely manner. You were emailed a confirmation of this order along with an order number assigned for that transaction. On the second order you attempted to place you provided a new email address and an invalid credit card number. The order was flagged as a potentially fraudulent transaction and subsequently canceled. Again, an email confirmation with a DIFFERENT order number was emailed to you along with a notification indicating there was an issue with the payment provided. It appears you may have gotten confused by your own purchases. We are always available if you need further clarification on these 2 separate purchases.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

As an online company we are vigilant about fraud. You provided an invalid credit card number that was being declined by our processor. Your order has a high fraud rating and was flagged. If a customer is indeed legitimate and not looking to commit online fraud, they would have rectified the situation with the credit card and simply placed a new order online.

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

The warranty we offer covers any mechanical issues that may arise during normal use of the product

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Thank you for your interest in Madison Seating, currently the largest retailer in North America for brand name office chairs at the lowest prices possible! The "Open Box Specials" featured on our website are a great way to save money on the best selling chairs on the market today. These brand name chairs are being sold for more than half off their retail value and will include free shipping!! "Open Box" simply means, the item is out of the original packaging. The chair was either, returned, refurbished, on display or has been in inventory for awhile and since been placed on a clearance. The merchandise is in perfect working condition. In addition, you will be provided with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 10-year Madison Seating warranty. We are so confident that our prices are currently the lowest on the internet we are willing to not only match but beat anyone selling these item(s) at a lower cost. Best regards, Allie Madison Seating 888-704-3435

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative

Hi Fong, Our records indicate that you were sent an email apologizing for the error in sending you a the Size B chair and not the Size A chair as requested. We offered you a generous compensation to keep the incorrect size chair or the option of picking up the chair for full refund or exchange. In fact, a fedex pre-paid label was already sent to you. Please contact our customer service department if you did not receive this information. The Team at Madisonseating.com

By madison s., MadisonSeating Representative
Questions? Get answers from the MadisonSeating staff and other customers.

MadisonSeating?