Review of Lyft

support@lyft.com

224 reviews with 1 star

beckyt62
4/12/19

We booked our ride in advance to take us to the airport at 3 am. The driver was supposed to pick up us between 3am to 3:15 am. The driver finally showed up around 3:30 am. When he showed up, he would not pull up to our house but sat down the road about 40 feet. We were all waving our hands at the end of our driveway so he would pull up to us. He did not move so I grabbed my luggage to walk to his car. As I walked up, he pulled ahead and drove past me plus my family. He did not stop. We did not know what he was doing so we waited to see if he was turning around. He did not come back. I watched him on the app and he continued on his route to the airport. I should mention I contacted him several times including before he arrived to our house and also after he drove by us. Given we no longer had a ride to the airport, we had to scramble to our car and get to the airport. I continued to watch the driver on the app and he went to the airport as he said he picked us up. We were then charged for our ride! I contacted Lyft and told them about the experience we had and we barely made our flight by 15 minutes. They said they would be happy to credit my fare for the Lyft ride! I could not believe it. The whole fiasco cost me an additional $120 because this driver was irresponsible and Lyft took no responsibility for it.

christophers447
4/7/19

My issue with Lyft relates to the experience that I had a couple of nights ago.

I needed a ride to the store on the corner. It is less than a mile and normally I would walk. But it was raining and I needed some medicine.

When the driver picked me up, his stereo was up very loud. I take a seat and immediately saw that his windshield was shattered. This wasn't a crack...it was a spiderweb shatter in the center spanning out over the entire windshield. This worried me that not only was his view obstructed but also that it was dangerous.

On top of that, he was texting while driving checking for his next fare I assume (glancing up and down through the cracked windshield while driving in the rain).

This short 2 block dangerous ride was still $7.

I contacted Lyft who responded they "take reports like this very seriously but do not offer refunds".

They might be very slightly cheaper than Uber but at least Uber would have communicated better and offered a refund or credit for the next ride.

I used Lyft 3 times this week and this was my only complaint due to safety and they emailed a generic copy/paste response and told me that I should have requested another ride. However I was standing in the rain, was unaware of the windshield/loud music until I sat down, and did not know he would be staring at his phone while driving.

Some would say that I should have brought my concerns to the driver's attention. I tried...but the driver did not speak English. He just nodded, smiled, and laughed.

booj1
3/13/19

First of all, I caught lyft taking money from my account illegally, and making up million false reasons why there was deduction from the amount I worked. I called several times, and send out multiple emails to lyft, and they mentioned that I am being garnished, when there is absolutely no reason to be garnished. Initially Lyft lied and said it was IRS that was garnishing, then I called IRS and requested documentation that they are not garnishing me. Then I called and emailed again with that information, then they emailed me and changed the story and said it was because I didn't upload my W9 for last year, and I proved to them that I haven't done any lyft trips since 2015(as they can see on their dashboard). Then again they said it was child support, and I am 1M% sure that I didn't have a kid out there, and if I did, the courts would have reached out to me by now. Yet still, I called child support and they gave confirmation that they are not garnishing me, and had no record on me. I still kept getting conflicting information and lies about everything from lyft. After all this back and forth, they finally realized that they have been caught lying and stealing money from me, then they texted me to let me know that I will no longer get deduction from account and it was some type of error, but at the same time they are refusing to refund the money they had already stolen from my account claiming is a garnishment from other agencies. I have been recording all the phone conversations and all the communications I have been having with lyft , and I will make sure to release this information out there so everyone can really know what lyft is doing to their drivers. Especially to poor drivers that doesn't have the education and knowledge to try to understand why you taking money from them.

debraf119
1/29/19

I have been a long time rider with LYFT but that is OVER.

I had a driver pick me up a couple days ago in Buffalo, NY. As usual, I took the back seat. I was preoccupied with something on my phone and did not realize the driver had an "unauthorized third party" - a female companion - who was riding along in the car until we were a couple blocks into the ride and after the driver had deviated from the route, driving through several unfamiliar side neighborhoods as a "short cut".

I reported this incident to Lyft and requested a refund (or credit) for *this* ride. The refund was requested because the driver VIOLATED LYFTs contract with me - their customer.

Per LYFT's grossly substandard (seriously - it's hot garbage) customer service department - I "should have" canceled the ride in the middle of a trip and exited the vehicle *in a strange neighborhood* and then called a new LYFT to take me where I wanted to go --

Seems legit - it totally makes sense that I should not only put myself at additional risk by escalating a situation with a driver who CLEARLY HAS NO REGARD FOR THE RULES AND PROTOCOLS OF HIS JOB - but also I should pay 2 base fees for their ill-trained driver breaking their contract.

LYFT's outsourced "Quezon City" customer service team has not only lost this company MY business as a longtime rider but also ensured that the app was uninstalled by the 3 OTHER RIDERS in my household who also previously used their service.

kiml287
1/2/19

I normally never write a bad review but, his time I need to. The location of my home was never a problem for previous drivers. Recently the drivers have not been able to find my house. It might be a G.P.S. Issue. I watched the progress map as the driver passed my house. I contacted the driver, to tell her my exact location. She began yelling at me and wouldn't stop. I didn't take the ride. I hope I don't get charged another cancellation fee after that abuse. About two months ago I scheduled a ride by error. I immediately called the driver to cancel, but I was charged a cancellation fee anyway. Some of the drivers are very rude, you never know what you're in for.
I would not take Lyft if I were you. The service is unreliable. My experience with customer service is so-so. I requested a call back and their system called me and put me on hold blasting the most irritating music ever. The first person I spoke with was attentive and apologetic. He transferred me over to the billing department for a refund on the previous ride. I spoke with a truly snippy brat and she, of course, patronized me and denied me a refund. Lyft was a good service at first. I don't know what's happened. If you can get another ride, you should do so.

Tip for consumers: Don't

laurencem43
12/20/18

this is a scam and the app won't even let you register. good thing, too, because most people report sheisty dealings with the payments, etc.

overkillt
11/19/18

I used to like Lyft because it wasn't Uber. However, their new Shared Ride feature has forced me to remove my profile. I had to go to work and my father, who uses a walker, needed to go to his doctor. I dropped him off at his doctor's office and went my way to work. An hour later, I was contacted that his appointment was over. So, I got a shared Lyft ride for my father to get him home. Several minutes later, I got a notification from the Lyft app that the I was charged a $5 no show fee. I contacted my father and he told me that he was trying to get to the Lyft car driven by Moises with a Toyota Corolla with a partial license plate of 7SUA who drove by really fast and waited at the end of the block. A reminder that my father uses a walker. Apparently, you have to be at the car within a minute or else lose your ride. My father cannot walk that fast and you expect him to walk to the car within a minute where it would take him five to get to the car? I did not get a call from Moises asking me where my father was. I was so upset that this guy does not have any customer service skills that I left work angrily and drove to my father's location as fast as possible before something bad happens to him. That was it for me. If Lyft and that driver wanted to make quick money without the responsibility of actually providing the service I had ask for, I say for everyone of you to delete your accounts and no longer use their service and don't get a ride from Moises either. Don't let something like this happen to you or your loved one so you can be taken advantage of or even worse, something bad happens to you or your loved one using their service.

patrickg198
11/7/18

I've been having terrible experiences with Lyft so far. Drivers taking longer routes to destinations, arriving late, not where I need or not arriving at all. Combine all of this with ridiculous prices and its pretty obvious that I will not use this service anymore.

marcelaa6
10/14/18

The app will show you 3 types of cars : " depending" on the number of passangers, so if we were 5, we chose the option XL That says for 6 ... well, they sent a Nissan Sentra, were only 4 fit+ driver. We couldn't even put seat belts on because we were all squeeze and of of us almost on the lap.of the other. So, they Charged us as an XL car being a small car!!!! It's almost $10 the difference between one car and the other... First is not safety riding a car like that and second they charged us something we didn't have... never use it again. The driver was very kind and nice person, but This issue makes me.feel that lyft just needed my money and sent me what ever they want it.... No more

carrief60
10/6/18

Lyft app pings where you're at. This is the second time this night that lyft has ping me at the wordolf on the Vegas Strip I was never there.
I got cancellation fees of $5 each
why is this my fault when your app is messed up
if you don't return my $10 cancellation fee for the two rides that you said that I missed
I will not use your service again
and if you look at my receipts I would say that I'm very good customer with you I use your service everyday sometimes three four times a day

maryb941
10/1/18

I was overcharged two separate times in one night. The worse part is there is NO way to get a human customer service rep on the phone.

I will only use UBER from now on

teeyam
8/8/18

I have ridden over 60 rides with Lyft services. All have been average to great experiences with the exception of my last ride. The last occasion I rode with Lyft I left an item in one of their drivers vehicles , and realized within a 5 minutes time span that I had left it. I contacted the driver back while walking into my office and he didn't answer. Throughout the day he proceeded to ignore my calls and messages. I finally reached him later that night and he explained that he didn't see or didn't find it in his vehicle. This was very hard to believe considering I was sitting in the front, it was left in the front seat, and it was bright silver and pink. He advised me to contact the Lyft Help support which advised there was pretty much nothing they could do because basically it was my fault I left it in the drivers car. Although it wasn't my fault the driver decided to keep it and ignore me the rest of the day. Its whatever I guess I will take it as a loss because to Lyft , it was MY FAULT that I had a dishonest driver. If my driver would have just answered my calls instead of deciding he wanted to keep my wallet than there wouldn't have been an issue. Then again Lyfts current policy does absolutely nothing to infringe punishment or justice for individuals who decide to keep lost items. So basically if I was my driver, I would have kept it as well because I knew nothing would have happened to me. There is absolutely no form of deterrence present in their policy. Altogether with what was lost in the wallet and the cost of my last ride, I payed $213 out of pocket for that 10 minute ride , one in which I have regretted every day since then. Lyft needs to review their policy on lost or stolen items, or maybe just need to employ more honest individuals. Either way I will never be requesting or referring their services to anyone else.

belleo1
7/4/18

I decided to calculate the percentage of what Lyft takes out after the total price of ride. Its bad enough that business is severely slow in Los Angeles County at times plus the overprice gas and car maintenance. How much profit am I really making. Estimate of 25% take home. Interesting, then they make damn near impossible to make bonuses becuz traffic in L.A. is horrible. So my question is, is it really worth it, I thought Uber didnt care about its drivers but apparently Lyft doesnt either.
Signed,
Disappointed Driver

davids1697
6/28/18

My wife was a dedicated 5 star Lyft Driver with raving reviews from 100's and 100's of riders for more than a year straight, but all of a sudden she gets a text from Lyft saying her account was suspended, due to a fake and bogus report calming she was driving while under influence. They did not even bother to ask everyone of recent passengers to confrim or simply call and talk to her....they simply shut her down and her her account on the spot over a fake report

Of course I immediately knew that this was a lie, because she would never ever do such a thing and the fact that she could not stop crying while telling me what happened, made me so very angry that I decided to write this review and my first hand experience with this ungrateful, disloyal and mismanaged company that treats their biggest assets like garbage. USING THESE POOR PEOPLE THAT RISK THEIR LIVES ON A DAILY BASIS TO MAKE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR THIS COMPANY, WHILE THEY GET PEANUTS TO BARELY PAY THEIR BILLS AND DISCARD THEM LIKE TRASH AND MAKE NO EFFORT TO PROTECT THEM AGAINST THIS KIND OF ABUSE

They did not even bothered to read any of the raving reviews that describe her as one of the best and the safest driver in Los Angeles. They would have quickly realized that not only what was reported was FAKE, but completely against her characteristics and her driving history...OTHERWISE SHE WOULD NOT HAVE SUCH AN IMMACULATE DRIVING RECORD AFTER ALMOST 10 YEARS OF DRIVING IN THIS TOWN

she does not even have one parking ticket, LET ALONE A DUI...AS IT WAS CLAIMED

so whomever that made that false report must have been either one of those rejected $#*!s that hit on a pretty young female driver every chance they get and could not take NO FOR AN ANSWER! or maybe an insecure girlfriend finding her BF drooling like a Dog the minute they get in that car, because She is a million times prettier and charming that them....but whatever the reason, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS WAS A TOTAL BOGUS REPORT! AND A SET UP!

and what is more shocking is to find out that Lyft did not take any measures to find the truth before ACCUSING HER OR A CRIME SHE DI NOT COMMIT

Someone needs to TELL CEO of lyft TO WAKE THE $#*! UP $#*!!
WE DON'T $#*!ING LIVE IN SAUDI ARABIA, AND PEOPLE ARE NOT ASSUMED GUILTY BEFORE PROVEN INNOCENT, BUT OUR CONSTITUTION SIMPLY SAYS:

In the United States, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty. The 14th amendment to the US Constitution guarantees to every person, aliens included, equal protection under the law. And for this very reason, I promised to make an example out of her case for all the innocent drivers that have been falsely accused and abused by this company.

This law has been put in place by our founding fathers of this country simply to protect people like her from being the target of such abuse and treatment by companies like this

.... so please If you you have similar stories to share, let me know or care to comment
Lyft has clearly stepped over their foundries by breaking the law! And they must be punished! by
a massive class action lawsuit by wrongly accused victims that have suffered similar emotional, psychological and financial pain and hardship as my wife did today

Please share your story or feel free to contact me

cindyw211
6/15/18

I am livid. Im found out from some entirely disrespectful customers service agents that your company authorized a charge on my bank for $15.00 when I have gift card credit for Lyft. After being hung up on by someone who claims to be a supervisor. I took a look at my bank account and found that Lyft tried to authorize $15.00 from not only one account, but two accounts even though there is nearly $80.00 in gift card credit sitting on my Lyft app. One my personal accounts declined (thank God) and the other accounts placed the authorization and reversed it soon afterward. I soon found out from a representative who calls herself Carolyn that Lyft authorizes $15.00 even though you have credit because its set up that way in the system. She said its in the terms of service. So I will be contacting the BBB and making a complaint.
My ride history doesnt show records of this charge and no alert to this policy was given. This is a buyer beware that everyone should be aware of and I will make them aware of it.

kateb137
5/30/18

I decided to use Lyft instead of Uber for once and was sadly disappointed. I took a Lyft to and from a destination, with the first costing $11 and the second costing $31 because the driver lied about the route he took. When I attempted to contact Lyft to dispute the charges, they sent a standard email response saying basically sorry for your luck, with no way to contact them by phone. I am usually a very understanding customer and dont get upset easily, but Lyft is a dishonest company, who cares more about making a profit than their customer service. Will never use this company again.

juliev57
5/30/18

I started driving for Lyft a few months ago to supplement income (about 2-3 shifts a week, 4-6 hours per shift) & I'm pretty sure that after wear & tear on my vehicle, I may have broke even. If you don't accept the crap they send your way (10 + miles away for a $2.40 fare, repeatedly) then they send you a message basically threatening to lower your rating if you refuse anything they send to you. Additionally, on several on at least 2 occassions, I traveled 15 mins to the pick-up point, waited the allotted 5 minute boarding time only to have the customer cancel and received $0 compensation. THIS COMPANY IS A LOAD OF $#*!. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

nethenc
4/24/18

Lyft is not a cab sharing service but a big fraud in the name of service!!!Once you register with lyft providing your personal info, including your cc details, you will be doomed!!! Lyft will use it in a way that it deems fit and if you raise a concern they will quote some stupid terms n conditions!!! I had very bad experience using Lyft n decided to get rid of this app and deleted my account in Sep 2017!! I even sent multiple requests to customer care to have my personal info ,including cc details to be deleted permenantly and to avoid any misuse!! But to my horror , even till date my cc info is saved with Lyft!!! this is shameful, also my account was hacked 2 times in 3 months!! Lyft says it was someone who is my friend accessed my account!!! This is utter non-sense!! why should someone else access my account ,w/o my permission , and how did they access my cc info???I had to dispute the charges posted on my account!!! Lyft still doesn't want to delete my info!!! When i am no longer using lyft what right lyft has to keep my confidential info and not even sure if its safe!!!
Beware of lyft , if u have used cc with lyft, either change the cc or block the same as anyone else can easily login to your account and lyft will not take any action but look for excuses!! Lyft is biggest fraud company and cares less about customers. I am not sure how many lyft users are aware that their personal info is at risk!!!

amberf42
4/9/18

I've used lyft here and there for years and haven't really had a problem up until now. I recently used them on my friends birthday, and a week later I noticed two extra charges on my card from them. I tired to dispute it. One charge was for $5.00 and the other was for $12.90. While trying to dispute it, they sent me a receipt from a ride I got in 2015, three years ago and already charged on an entirely different card, and tried saying that was one of the charges in question for $5.00. They never sent any proof of the $12.90 charge. Ultimately, they told me they couldn't refund me simply because they were made from my account, even though they showed me actual proof that one was a double charge from 3 years ago, and no proof of the other. I will no longer be using their services ever again.

aw255
3/22/18

Dangerous Situation: There Were Two People Waiting In The Car.
Instead of just the driver, two people were waiting for me in the Lyft car.

Around 10:20 pm called a Lyft ride.
Went to get in the car. Saw that instead of just the driver: Lorenzo, there was a second person sitting in the car.

Immediately went back inside the building and called the driver. Said I was not getting in a car with two people. Told him he needed to cancel the ride. He didn't apologize, said an unfriendly:ok. He sped off without canceling the ride.

I messaged him + Lyft about two people being in the car. Eventually he canceled the ride.
Lyft can read the messages, but they did not react at all.

This was a dangerous situation.
If you use them, be careful! Next time the 2nd person might not be visible from outside the car.

Tip for consumers: This was a dangerous situation.

bnvirgoe
3/12/18

me too, 2 diff cards, was auth, and then try try tell me its my fault i added a new card [which i hadn't]. I had 50% [upto 15 off rides program until the 11th, ] they say they gave 10 bucks to 'address my issue' but they deducted it from the ride, WHEN I ALREADY HAD THeRe % off discount which would have been less than the 10. So they use the fake ass 10 they gave [a method to shut me up] ...ooooo. I am NEVER using . I am blasting these messages, on bbb, all social media, yelp, yp and all those places that take review. So whenever lyft is search, it shows up.

I am rather irritated and peeved. Esp since 2 days before then i took a $136 ride to philly [which only had one card auth] but yet 2 cards where auth for a ride that was less than 10miles away? Yll bs.

scottm276
2/25/18

I installed the Lyft app the other day to get a 5-minute ride from Tampa Airport to a nearby hotel.

Driver was 7 minutes away, then allegedly showed up although was nowhere in sight. I was standing right outside the terminal in the pickup area. Driver was not there.

Then the driver abruptly departed and I got hit with a $5 cancellation fee. I disputed it and canceled my credit card.

Every single experience I've had with Uber and Lyft involves this scam - the no-show cancellation scam where they ding you $5 and don't bother to pick you up.

Enough is enough with Uber AND Lyft. Will never use these ripoff scam services again.

noec14
2/13/18

I depend on lyft to get me to my life saving dialysis. Tonight I was ditched by a driver who tried to collect a fare without giving me a ride. Whats worse is when I contacted lyft they claimed tbey couldn't find any account information. If you value yours or a your loved ones health and don't want to get ripped off find another form of transportation.

rs190
2/2/18

In late December I waited in 19 degree weather for 30 minutes while Lyft:
-cycled me through 4 drivers
-had a driver lap around JFK without picking me up
-charging me and telling me a driver had picked me up and taken me away

All while I was waiting outside in the cold. We ended up taking a car service that was waiting there.

I contacted customer service several times, they pretend to not understand the question or even issue, and then stop responding (reached out about 4 times).

carrief32
1/31/18

Lyft charged me again a cancellation few $5.
It's the 3rd time! I'm done!
He never showed up
I was waiting outside in my usual pick up spot, me never came. Google map showed him next door
I called him 2 times he speaks no English and hung up on me

I got my new ride
He had no problem finding me as usual (I get at least 2 rides a day)
This is 3rd time this happen to me with Lyft
Carrie Fisher

They randomly out of the blue deactivated my account. This was there explanation. we found your account to be violating our Terms of Service and you will no longer be able to use the Lyft platform. I can honestly I have not violated anything so clearly there is something wrong with there information but the worst thing is they dont even tell you what the problem is. Oh well guess take my business to uber instead.

By samta v.

Lft runs different promotions and depending on promotion they promise a signup bonus(500-1100$).now if they really pay the bonus it's totally up to their discretion.in my case they didn't pay. I completed the 60 Rides required in the first 30 days,which was the requirment to qualify for the bonus but they still didn't pay.after a brief email exchange with a lyft employee(they do not give their position or full name) they stopped answering.now I am filing a complain with BBB and I will let you know where it goes when I have updates.

By Constantin R.

Lyft's customer service is terrible. If they won't correct it, file a dispute with your credit card company.

By david y.

I hope you haven't started doing this. Reading the reviews I can tell both Uber or Lyft are shanty style of business. It was very surprising that new generations with ultra modern technologies has no concept of human factors in their business model. The drivers are simply robots to generate revenues to them. I drove Uber for two months and couldn't take their lies and manipulation. Please don't waste time whether it is Lyft or Uber. You won't even make one tenth of the minimum wage while taking all the insult and humiliation.

By Jon W.

You made a sound decision. Anyone who can maintain two dollars of checking account balance it is not worth doing. Driving for ride sharing business is the last resort for desperate people. Some reason the misleading hype has spread out of proportion nationwide.

By Jon W.

I guarantee try Lyft and Try Uber and Lyft BLOWS UBER AWAY ! SAFER DRIVERS, MUCH BETTER SCREENED IN PERSON BY THE WAY, ACTUAL TRAINING WITH A MENTOR, BETTER DRIVER PERKS AND SUPPORT .... DRIVERS MUCH NICER AND HAPPIER THAN UBER DRIVERS..... UBER NEEDS TO GET A HANDLE ON THEIR HIRING PROCESS AND BACKGROUNDS CHECKS AND START GETTING PERSONABLE WITH THEIR PERSPECTIVE DRIVERS.... BY SCREENING THEM PERSONALLY JUST BY LOOKING AT SOMEONE YOU CAN TELL IF THEY ARE OFF OR NOT MENTALLY AND OF THEY SHOW ANY SIGNS I WOULD FAIL THE PERSON IMMEDIATELY. .... NO QUESTIONS ASKED. UNTIL UBER MAKES THESE CHANGES I WON'T SET FOOT IN AN UBER VEHICLE...... LYFT DOES HAVE BETTER SERVICE OVERALL FOR BOTH DRIVERS AND CUSTOMERS..... UBER CLEAN UP YOUR ACT. IF YOUR A FEMALE DAYS ARE SAFER IN GENERAL EARLY EVENING BUT AFTER 9 PM ALL BETS ARE OFF.... REMEMBER IT'S YOUR CAR SO YOU CAN TURN DOWN A RIDE ANYTIME IF YOU FEEL UNSAFE MAKING THE PICK UP..... THE BEST PERSON TO PROTECT YOU IS YOU.

By Carlos R.

They have to approve your character/personality. Smile more often, tell a joke next time around. Make sure your car is in top shape, clean, a/c working/heater working. Check all light signals are working. Too many details they check off on.

By Wilson T.

To tell you the truth, drunk people at night are the worst... more likely to get a 1 star to 3 stars frankly because they don't care and not paying attention so much to the rating system, i.e. not thinking. If you maintain your courtesy and are friendly and provide any useful information requested from a rider or simply tell a story about something positive happening in the city that day or smile often, just don't be creepy. Can get you to 5 stars more often and be familiar with your city.

By Wilson T.

Both are covered, read the terms to be sure.

it's too late.

By Wilson T.
Questions? Get answers from the Lyft staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Lyft