Review of LegalZoom

Learn More

17 reviews with 3 stars

vup4
3/9/19

When I email, it takes about 1.5 days to respond to my email. I expected within same day turn times to respond to their expressed customers. If in case their customers have urgent matters, they would be answered within same day. As for call back over the phone, they only tried calling me back once and my phone had an issue which hung up. Therefore, I missed the opportunity to speak to representative just because the phone line got hung up and disconnected. Legal zoom should attempt to call their customers back second time to confirm. How I know legal zoom doesnt call back second time? Because I called and the automated sustem said I have a pending call back in the file and ask me to continue to wait, however no second call was made.

jackd223
6/14/18

Used them to set up my LLC. All went smoothly. They pressed me hard to become my 'registered agent" for an annual $179 fee which I did not do. From many reviews, I'm happy I made that decision, as it seems very hard to cancel out of it.

I then used them to get an EIN #. This has been terrible. I evidently needed to sign the SS4 IRS form which I only discovered by logging on to my account.....would have been nice if they sent me an email or text message requesting this, so this was a week lost. I signed form and email back directly, but the email address they provided did not work and was difficult to find the proper one. They now claim to have what is needed, but my account status can't be changed, that asks me to call their 800 # because action on my part is required. They claim it's in process, but it's been 2 weeks.

I just looked online to the IRS site and it says that I could have done this online with immediate results for free! So I have given LZ $79 to get all this frustration!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Jack, we like our customers to feel like their entire experience is great and we apologize if this wasn't the case in your situation. We've reviewed your order & your EIN concerns and we will reach out to you directly to make things right. Please also feel free to contact a manager any time via help@legalzoom.com.
ront47
1/30/18
• Updated review

I received a 100% refund. Shouldnt take a bad review, but at least they stepped up and did the right thing.

“Beware of auto renewal charges”
11/7/17
• Previous review

Charged me 160 to renew a registered agent for my company. Have asked to have it cancelled several times. I did not need them as my RA. Sent copies of new RA assignment and still could not get them to stop chasing me for 160. Their is no cost with the state other than to change an RA, which I paid. They turned me over to a collection agency. At this point Ive wasted more than 160 of my time. I paid it to make them go away. I would not use this company.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Ron, it is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time; you deserve better. I want to resolve this for you. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
samuelw41
10/30/17

Filed my trademark through LegalZoom. They got it done fast and without much fuss, and that's all there is to say about it, which is a good thing. Just watch out for any additional trial services they may sign you up for, and be proactive in cancelling them before they start charging. Fortunately for me, they have a very generous return policy (though I did have to press them a little to get a full refund).

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Samuel, we're sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you were unaware of. The plan that you were enrolled into is a legal plan that entitles you to receive unlimited attorney consultations on any new legal matter along with additional benefits. If it's something that you specified you didn't want to participate in, we apologize & would like to make things right. We will review your order details & follow up with you directly. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
nicolek55
7/28/17

I found it their lawyer team is great. However, for their customer representative team, it depends on your luck. I would say 50% of the time, you got a very nice and knowledgable one. Another 50% don't know what they are doing and won't try to help. I would pay if you want a good advice from their attorney. If you want some answers about all the documents and other things. You probably have to call two or three times to make sure you go the right answer. The customer representative claims that there is no way for them to call us back if the line is dropped. So, it is a good excuse for them to hang up on you if they don't want to speak with you anymore.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Nicole, we're very sorry to hear about your customer service experience; you deserve the best each time you communicate with us. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact a manager any time directly via help@legalzoom.com.
tommasot5
5/15/17

The service is much cheaper than going to a lawyer but you get what you pay for. Customer care is borderline clueless, does not follow up or follows up without addressing the issue. You call and they tell you to email, you email and they tell you to call.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Tommaso, we are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer, and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. Usually orders go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via email at help@legalzoom.com and we'll try our best to make things right.
artricea
2/3/17

I was referred by an associate that used them when she started her business and so with reasonable expectations I contacted them. The person that took my information (to start a nonprofit) was friendly, professional, and, I later learned, not completely truthful. The first misinformation he told me was that my last payment would be due in December so I was unprepared in November to be told it was due..November. Two conversations later I still had to pay a decreased amount but to do so I had to change the plan I'd originally signed on for to one that offered free services.
The second surprise arrived with the paperwork to file for my nonprofit status: the fee to file had changed from: "it won't cost you anything" to $800. What?! The catalyst to write this review happened about 90 mins ago. I received a call from Legalzoom 2 days ago to make an appointment for a free consult with an attorney regarding filing taxes for my company. THEY called me. An hour before my appointment, 9a.m. Legalzoom sent me a reminder email which they should have sent to the attorney scheduled to talk to me because I haven't received a call from him/her. I don't recommend using them. They received $1100 from me and I've been lied to. Do not use them to file a nonprofit and if you do question everything and have them send you an email detailing everything you talked about.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Artrice, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please contact help@legalzoom.com.
tomc148
11/19/16

I tried the Legal Zoom estate package. Although ti was OK, it was not totally complete. After spending numerous hours reading the documents and consulting with their attorney, it became clear to me that I would have to either purchase additional legal services to prepare and or change documents for it to be complete and accurate, or find it online. For the price and my purposes it was fine. I used the legal phone consulting service a few tmes for personal legal needs and found it helpful, and so overall a good value.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Tom, I am sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience. We want our customers to be happy with our products & services. We will review your account to determine how we can try to make this experience better. Please feel free to contact us any time via help@legalzoom.com.
andrel21
8/3/16

Have used LegalZoom before, and it turned out to be a good buy at the time. Needed to revise, and this time found the site to be very confusing up front (before input). If you are putting together a Living Trust, the biggest problem is making revisions. In many instances, there is just no way to navigate back solely to the items you want to revise without having to click through the entire document. Very time consuming. Lastly, there is the constant push for $$$ everywhere you turn!

stevenh105
6/7/16

I gave my order to dissolve a corporation, they did not help me at all in spite of constant follow up. They are just not bothered. Also, their one of the accounts representative Christilyn Burgos did not want to listen to me and directed the return of my money in the amount of $198.95 my closed credit card account.Now they are telling me it is my responsibility to get money from the credit card company and they just don't help me at all.

Date:27th June 2016

First of all thank you Sitejabber for proving the platform to express our problems and concern.
After posting my review on this website, Legalzoom got into action and got my money back. Chyna smith , Social Media manager at Legalzoom was exceptionally helpful in getting my money back, She was very helpful and kept me informed about the progress of my case.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Steven, we apologize for the poor experience you had while transacting business with our organization. It is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued Customers, such as you are, with exceptional service during every interaction. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. We will review your order & contact you directly to help you with a resolution. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
alexc135
5/26/16

Joined with the business membership...approx $200....knowing I'd likely have both personal and business questions.

First I Was more than a little disappointed that you have to wait for an appointment, and didn't have the option...as I do on Justanswer.... to submit a detailed question by text on a webform and get a written answer.

My first experience was good, asking an accounting/tax question thru the connected 1800accounting.
Answer was clear, precise. The guy was knowledgeable and helpful.

Second experience not so good.
I set up a contact with the lawyer with a tax and estate question.
First I noticed had little choice of lawyers ....once I said my issue was in the state of Oregon, only one.
Second, noticed I had to choose an appointment much further out in the future then I liked, more than a week, and at a time of day inconvenient for me.

Then when he did contact me he said that my question requires a specialist. That he could not answer. Or Would not. It was actually a simple straightforward estate tax question....that probably with a bit of research ....IMO in less that the 30 minutes of consult time I was entitled to....One I believe any lawyer or any careful Google searcher could answer within that 30 minutes. Instead he gave me a list of other lawyers I could contact. But I would be charged their normal hourly rates, -25% discount for being a legalzoom member. That would have been a budget breaker for me. And defeat the purpose I joined LegalZoom for.

Based on my experience with the legal question I would say JustAnswer is more useful. Much faster, often within an hour, and you get a written response, with option of talking on phone.

One advantage of legalzoom..one reason I tried....is .....unlike JustAnswer ....if talking with a lawyer, not an accountant ....your communications are protected by lawyer-client confidentiality laws. Not so at JustAnswer when communicating with lawyers there.

Tip for consumers: Consider if the lawers or accountants at JustAnswer might be a better choice.
They don't seem to have a clock running, and will tryto answer all your many follow up questions. And if it's just one or two specific issues you need addressed...rather than a year of off and on acess...you need, probably cheaper..
And if not satisfied with your answer you don't pay.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Alex, customer satisfaction is a very important goal to us. We very much appreciate your feedback & suggestions. We will review your concerns to determine any adjustments that need to be made. If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to email us via help@legalzoom.com.
craigl25
12/9/15

1st order went off without a hitch. Made an error on my initial submission and had to file amendment. That experience almost made me ask for a refund. No responses, incomplete responses, failure to follow-up, etc. There is definitely room for improvement....but overall, I'm not unhappy just disappointed.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Craig, I am very sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience. We try our best to make sure every customer is happy & it seems we fell short of that goal in your situation. We’d like to learn more about how we could have improved your experience with us, or if you just wanted share exactly what happened so we can do a better job for other Customers in the future. Please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
davidj156
11/20/15

The site is difficult to navigate to make necessary changes and set up an Attorney Consultation. It took us several hours and several calls to finally accomplish what we had intended to do. Eventually, we talked with a couple of associates who were very helpful and able to guide us through the process we needed to complete.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi David, we are very sorry to hear about trouble you experienced when navigating through our site. It is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers, such as you are, with exceptional service during every interaction. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com.
ieh
10/21/15

The main problem with LegalZoom in this case is their initial search was sloppy and misleading. The Trademark Office found many instances in THEIR search that were not reported by LegalZoom for the same words I was using for requesting a trademark.

When LegalZoom did my Copyright on a manual, all went well.

For a Registered Trademark, I think I'd actually hire an attorney outright. This type of thing is much more involved than I had considered. I will not continue to pursue the Registered Trademark, but I feel like it would have been a better experience face to face with a knowledgeable attorney.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We do our best to make sure every customer is happy. We’d like to learn more about how we could have improved your experience with us or if you just wanted share exactly what happened so we can do a better job for other customers in the future, please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
michaelt103
10/17/15

I have used Legalzoom on and off for quite some time. What LZ does best for me: provide quick hits of info at times when I may be under stressviz, my father recently passed on and a helpful chat with a local (okay, same state) lawyer about Family Trust law was very useful.

What it does worse: I used LZ to set up my LLC. Serious mistake. I should have used a local lawyer who knew local law and who could tell me what to expect. The online experience was simply not good enough. For example, I am still trying to figure out exactly what kind of LLC I am. Single owner? Partnership? I have asked and no one can explain.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Michael, sorry to hear about your LLC experience. Typically the information you are looking for is listed in your LLC operating agreement. We are happy to research your situation & try to make things right. Please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
richardj62
10/17/15

I did a dba thru zoom, it was a slow process on my states portion of it, but i got the upgraded package and i dont even know what i got, im clueless, im in business now but i dont even know what legalzoom did or is going to do for me ????Seems like they dropped the ball to me!!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Richard, we are happy to discuss and explain your DBA package details. Feel free to reach out to us via help@legalzoom.com.
roym51
10/16/15

I did a Last Will and Testament on LegalZoom. There were two areas where I needed to deviate from what LegalZoom's results generated. I talked to staff at LegalZoom and was told that deviation was not possible. Three Stars is generous for this cookie cutter service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're sorry that you didn't have a great experience and we appreciate your feedback. Talking to unhappy customers helps us do a better job in the future. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

2 Photos for LegalZoom