Review of JCPenney

2018 Customer choice award

23 reviews with 2 stars

jenp87
2/14/19

I spent time choosing some make up that was on sale on the site. The 2 main items I wanted from the order were cancelled the next day from because they were "out of stock". The other items from order I kind of added to qualify for free shipping so I'm not to thrilled that they are the only items I received. I went to the site the next day and could still put those same items in my cart. I called and spoke to customer service and asked them to make the items unavailable online. Guess, what I just tried again and can still add them to my cart. Really?? That says a lot and I wont bother trying their site for anything again.

darlenek41
8/9/18

I saw a notice about you possibly going out of business, and this really saddens me. Jc penny's has always been my go to store. This is just my opinion, but I am an older lady 50, and the store as far as clothing now is geared more towards younger shoppers, and Penny's is just not a store where the younger crowd shops. Why someone has not figured this out and gotten nicer newer things for middle aged and older crowds, I don't get it. There is no longer any type of customer service, Years ago we could come in your store and get women to help us put and ensemble together for an event, if we needed help.. Now we have no customer service, we stand in long lines with untrained rude people at the register. I would really love to see you all turn this around. I'm ok with shopping online from time to time but I still love coming in the store to shop. I wish you all luck! Saddened in Tacoma, WA.

billw149
4/9/18

Quite pleased with the Cook's toaster oven, works very well. Where JC Penney failed completely was with the rebate, this is why I hadn't done a rebate in over 5 years prior to this scam. Never received the rebate never was a working method to check on the rebate. JC Penney so desperate they now deceive customers. Crooked.

winne7
3/21/18

I order online frequently from JC Penney, and for the most part the services have been satisfactory. But recently I had 2 problems with delivery to the store and it was frustrating. I usually have items delivered to a nearby JC Penney as that is free shipping and I just go to the store to pick up my order. If I order more than one item everything usually come in at the same time so I just make one trip to pick up. Lately items in the same order comes in separately so I have to make 2 or 3 trips to pick up. I can accept that as the store isn't very far from me and I like shopping at the store. Last month I ordered 3 items and 2 came in at the same time so I expected to make one more trip to the store to pick up the third item. So I waited and waited for the phone call from them to tell me my order is ready for pick up. I waited for 3 weeks and no phone call. I then went to the store to follow up. I went to the online pick up counter and asked what happened to the rest of my order I thought maybe it was delivered to the store and is sitting in the backroom buried under other packages. He checked on the computer and the backroom and did not find anything. He said maybe the item was on back order and will be here soon. How much longer am I supposed to wait? That was not a satisfactory response. Finally he called over a manager and she said she will return the item then reorder it again and give me free shipping so it will ship to my home. Ok so the item arrived at my home within one week. Why did it get here so soon if it was on back order?? That's a lot of work just to get the jacket I ordered. I really like the jacket so that made it better. More recently I ordered 3 items but I paid the shipping costs this time. This is very out of the ordinary for me but I did not want to make 2 or 3 trips just to pick up the items. So again I received 2 items shipped separately to my home and the third item was MIA. I waited for 4 weeks this time and nothing. Again I went to the store to follow up. After searching on the computer and the backroom they had no idea what happened. A manager was called and she found out the item was cancelled and was never shipped. What? I said who cancelled the order and why, I know I didn't cancel it. I never received an email saying this was cancelled. I got no satisfactory explanation. So I wait 4 weeks just to find out some idiot cancelled my order and I was not notified. I looked it up on line and the item is still available so they just screwed up. I did get a refund. I think I will still order online from them because they have excellent sales that is just online and the quality is quite good. But I advise them if they want a larger share of the online shopping market they better clean up their act. For example, Macys has free shipping for $49. JC Penney requires $100 to get free shipping.

moniquer4
3/12/18

I went to JCP to purchase a spring jacket. I get to the register and tell them that I have a military discount to the cashier who is checking me out. The cashier next to him gets this attitude and says, "No don't give it to her because we can only give it on Veteran's day." The cashier tells her that he's never heard that before and I also ask her when did it start because I was recently there and the cashier I worked with then was the one who told me about it and to be sure to ask about it because some cashiers don't know they give it. I'm getting this information from someone who has Vets in her family. The cashier continues to argue with the cashier that is checking me out, then she says, "Give it to her if you want to but I'm not getting in trouble!" REALLY JCP? I didn't realize my husband, who is currently deployed only serves the country on Veteran's Day. It's good to know that over the last 21 years of service that he's only served 20 days according to your policy. I take issue with any business that treats our Veterans like crap and this was crap! It would be 1 star, but the cashier still gave me the discount in spite of what the bitter cashier had to say. And the fact that she was going to argue with him in front of a customer...terrible customer service.

christineh54
1/4/18

Now I see why JC Penney is going out of business. Yesterday I contacted their customer service for my mother to ask a question about the model # of a major appliance. The representative was extremely rude, short tempered and could not answer the question. She said she would need to contact the manufacturer which is Samsung, I stated that would be fine because I needed to know why their model number was different from other stores that did not have a /AA after their model number. She then went on rudely to say there would be a 45 minute hold. I said forget it, Needless to say they lost the sale.

janellej9
12/13/17

Do not order items online. The products may not exist. EVEN if you're choosing the option to PICK UP in store and the site indicates such are available, there is VERY LITTLE GUARANTEE those items are in stock. After placing an initial order, with some items being shipped and choosing to have some AVAILABLE for pick-up in store, I received notice HOURS later that 8 of 10 items are in stock at the store location where the site told me to pick them up. So, then I decide to go online and order the other 8 items to be shipped to my home. Just got notice, there's a change in my order status (this after working the new order through an online customer service rep) ... meaning the items aren't available at all. This doesn't seem like a big deal but I was ordering similar items for three daughters, now I've hodge podge items. And, of course, the two items that can be fulfilled at the store, I now have to trek to go pick up. BOTTOMLINE: Even if you place your order there's no guarantee those items even exist. RECHECK and DOUBLE CHECK your email because even if you get a confirmation initially, the order can and will likely be cancelled by JC Penney. BETTER YET, do not order from the site AT ALL.

sylviar29
4/10/17

When your hair salon is empty, your store has few employees to help you and even fewer cash registers, you know that they are in trouble and won't be around long. Quality of products has also declined over the past few years.

benm119
4/4/17

Prices at JCPenney are way to high. A box of dishes $100 the same exact brand the same exact box at meijers for $60 everyday. A four pack of socks $20 same exact socks at meijers $8.

noreena3
2/12/17

Very very slow people working on the return desk. Like trying to punish the customers trying to return merchandise. Poor customer service, rude and arrogant staff. Unfortunate long term member.

kayk23
1/5/17

They might be and if their employees don't improve their customer service skills, they'll be the next on the lay off line. If you want to have a job, keep your employer in business and treat customers with the respect they deserve; we are the source for your food clothing, car , house mtg.; treat us like we matter that much. Customers are loyal to their stores, JCP, has been one of my favorite places to shop anywhere in the US, but if I'm treated like i'm not needed, then i will shop elsewhere as there few people who are glutons for disrespect. With so much competition, even one less loyal shopper means the difference whether there will lay offs for store employees. Don't take for granted there will be another store. For every store you take your bad skills, more lay offs are sure to follow. A loyal customer who is treated like a valued, repected customer, will easily pay more rather than be insulted for a bargain. I was charged twice for rhe same dishwasher, and its been same nightmare continued from before Christmas.

tammyt2
10/25/16

I'm currently in the N. Riverside location in Illinois and there are only 3 cash registers open in the whole store. Standing in line was approximately a 20 minute wait because only ONE CASHIER IS AVAILABLE at the 3 registers that are open!!! Employees are walking around looking busy while customers are standing in long lines. This is evident that management needs to reevaluate it's processes for customer service!! #OPEN SOME MORE REGISTERS JCPENNEY...ESPECIALLY IF YOU VALUE YOUR CUSTOMERS!!! A Good note is the sales are WONDERFUL!!!

zeidaj
10/17/16

While I was very pleased with the Columbus Day sales the shopping experience was not good. Shipping is high and it took 14 days for my items to arrive. They provide poor tracking information. Don't think I will be using again.

loric55
9/21/16

I purchased a comforter, but when it came, it did not look like anything like the one online or the quality. When I went to return it to the store, I was told I would have to pay for the shipping as they were charged by UPS to deliver it. After speaking to a manager, they did give me a full refund, but were not happy about it.

gp63
8/25/16

We live in Ajax, Ontario Canada and we both have cards with JC Penney. I called today August 25, 2016, at 1:45 pm to make a payment on my husband's card. I told the clerk that I made a payment with my CIBC debit card last month on my account and I would like to do the same for my husband. I was told that I cannot. I explained further but she did not attempt to help. She then passed me on to her supervisor. The supervisor was also not knowledgeable about the payment system. Eventually, she saw that I did make the payment and she was able to do the same for my husband. Kindly inform your staff that it is possible to make a payment with a CIBC debit card from Toronto. A little knowledge will help with the customer service. This was my first time receiving such poor customer service from JC Penney. I will continue to shop with your store because most of your customer service reps are pleasant and helpful. Thank you.

reikok
6/27/16

I purchased some items via website because I did not have time to stop by the store.
However, that was my first time to use their website and sent me wrong items....Their customer service pick up phone 24/7(I think.) and she was nice. The item I wanted was sold out when I called them and I had to go to store to return wrong item...
I think first impression is the most important.
I am not sure I am coming back to their web site again....

reneec33
5/21/16

Why does it take so long to get a chair for a dining set? Three are fine, but one is defective. It has taken at least a month to get the items we have. Now I have to wait to receive another chair. I am fearful that the chair will be worse then the one I have.

terriev
5/3/16

If you need "regular" clothes in a hurry and don't want to spend much you can go to Kmart or JCP. Probably better quality than Kmart but about on the same overall level. They do have some good kid's staples and better than walmart bathroom product quality but not as much selection.

joellynb
8/26/15

for something, you can't find a clerk!

debyt
6/1/15

i ve been to j.c.penney at least 6 times in the last 6 months.i can never find my size.they have no selection!they really need to revamp thaat whole dept!i always end up having to order online anyway!

davidc201
4/12/15

Awful price!

yourd
3/24/15

Their quality of clothes is not as good as they make it sounds but they do have good customer service.

tiredo3
7/11/14

Have had two online shopping experiences that sucked. One about a month ago purchased a bathing suit top. 2 weeks prior to going on vacation. Had it shipped to store so I could get it in 4-7 days per internet instructions, not including the weekend. I know that. Called the store on day 7 and was told we don't get a shipment for another 8 days. Nice. Should of mailed it to my house. NOT. Last week ordered a suit for my daughter and decided this time to pay for shipping to house and yet again. Jcpenny is dropping the ball on customer service. It took them 1 hour to say order is processed and the next day shipped. Today I look online for tracking and my bank and nothing. I get an email this am and find out they didn't process the order for 5 days. 1 bathing suit, 5 days to process and 5 days to get shipped out. Done with online ordering. They need to get their acts together due to even Walmart can ship faster and process stuff faster. Boy even the gap store shipped my order in a total of order and process and ship in less then 8 days. Total with everything. WAke up Jcpenny or you'll continue to go down the tubes customer and fininical wise.

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney