Review of JCPenney

2018 Customer choice award

141 reviews with 1 star

barbarag292
2/11/19

I just closed my account with jcpenney. Their online prices change daily and they dont do price adjustments even though its advertised that they do. Their shipping charges to the store are ridiculous and if the item doesnt fit, they dont refund the shipping charges either. Avoid their credit card which is through synchrony bank. They take forever to give you any overpayment back. I waited nearly two months for a check and when It didnt arrive, I called and I had to forcibly make them send me another one. The girl did not tell me she was putting a stop payment on teh $20.14 check and when it arrived I deposited the check. Five days later my bank charged me for a returned check at the rate of $12. I still dont have the $20.14 replacement check and now that check will only be worth $8.14 since the stop payment on the first one just cost me $12. Synchrony bank wont do anything about it. AVOID JCP

talishias
1/14/19

This was hands down the WORST EXPERIENCE I have ever had !!! DO NOT ORDER FROM @jcpenney !!! I purchased a beautiful king bedframe, they came and set it up and it was broken in a few places and they refuse to correct the mistake unless I pay a restocking fee! Not only that the delivery was 3 hours late with no one to contact me to say if they were coming or not, so I sat home all day and night waiting..... I have spoken with several "escalation reps" and nothing has been done, they are condescending and rude ! One woman stated it was going to be taken care of, I waited 5 days and heard nothing. I call back and it was never taken care of , she lied!!! I cannot express enough NOT to purchase furniture from this company !!

raneea
1/8/19

Long story short:

I ordered a three piece bedroom set dresser, bed frame and night stand from JcPenny.com.

First piece that arrived in a timely manner. The delivery people delivered it to the room of choice, set it up and took away the cardboard and cleaned up their mess. Quite happy.

Decided to order the bed frame and night stand.

Night stand just shipped with no notification of it shipping. Just arrived one night on the door step. I work second/third shift and came home about 2 am just sitting on the door step exposed to the elements for all too see. I have minor back issues and can't lift much more than 40 lbs with care or it flares up. I had to teeter it inside and leave it in the entry way until my brother to return from his out of town work to move it up stairs. So it sat in the entry way for three days. I took it out of the cardboard and now had huge cardboard pieces that needed tossing out. Three weeks later I found it had leg stands sitting tapped in the bottom door top needing assembly. If the directions didn't get shredded in the hordes of extra packing as I tried to take it apart I might have set it up right away. P.s. I was also pissed because we were scheduled to leave for vacation for two weeks the week it arrived. Luckily it arrived three days before we left or it would have sat at the door for five days. The delivery company was supposed to call us and set up delivery but never did. It just shipped and sat at our door step for several hours.

Bed frame was the worst. They called during vacation and set up a delivery date. Date came. I waited for them for half the day. Arrived late afternoon. They delivered it at the door way and ran. They told me that it was not in their contract to deliver it to the room of choice. Total lie that's not what the contract said. They made me sign without reading, well forced signed me without reading. They dinged the walls a few times and left dents as they reluctantly moved it up the stair well. Then just left it. Their shoes also left a dirt mess on the carpet. I asked them to assemble it but they refused and left disgruntled and angry. My mom came over in the late afternoon to help me assemble it.

We do not do big projects well. Despite the fact it looked nice Jc Penny did not honor their part of the contract in assembling it in desired room and take away extra material. No we had to do it all and ended up with tons of huge cardboard. Due to all the dirt they tracked in I had to vacuum twice where they went and patch up a couple dents the furniture piece left.

NO I would not recommend JcPenny furniture delivery service. It was horrid. Products were nice but delivery service sucked! And I'm a gold card member too. This is the $#*!ty service I got? Never ordering again.

The second and third order the drivers did not:

Inform purchaser of purchase and set up delivery date in timely manner
Did not arrive within a reasonable time frame nor the suggested time frame
Did not deliver item to room of choice
Did not assemble item in room of choice
Did not take away extra packaging
Did not wipe down item for a clean finish
Did not take their shoes off or put covers on before delivering
Did not have good customer service just wanted to sign and leave stating they "delivered it"

Instead they

Delivered items to door and ran
Did not notify consumer of package shipping
Did not ship within a timely manner nor during designated time frame
Caused a couple of dents in the stair well frame
Grumbled and moaned about delivering it to room of choice as if they were going out of their way to give me extra treatment
Made me sign paper without letting me read it nor would allow me to read it
Did not let me get their supervisor on the phone to state how upset I was with the delivery
Just delivered an ran

I use to enjoy JcPenny but starting around 2010 it started going down hill. This experience happened in 2018 and I was not impressed. Not impressed at all and will not be ordering any more items from JcPenny.com.

My mother forced me to open a credit card with you guys and after this year it will be closed and canceled.

I tried posting this on bbb.org but due to the alias name they "quoted" that they could not find the order and decided not to post it. Even provided receipt copies. Thanks guys. :(

sherrons4
1/3/19

I will never buy another washer or dryer or any appliance from jc penny.
They do not stand by there product, nor except returns

amberg143
12/26/18

We got a $250 gift card for one of our wedding presents recently. My husband ordered $250 worth of items on jcp.com. We got an email saying everything had shipped. Then he shortly after, he received another email saying the whole order had been canceled. The website says the stuff is in stock and now it's all of a sudden not in stock? It makes no sense. The customer service rep said that JC Penny doesn't know what is in their warehouse but yet their website says otherwise. So all these people (read the other bad reviews online) are ordering items because the website says it's in stock when in reality they may not even have it. Therefore, items get cancelled.

If you're thinking about buying something online-don't do it. Go to Macy's, Dillard's, or any other department store that is decent and has good customer service. The lady from the customer service department my husband spoke to on the phone HUNG up on him. This is outrageously ridiculous. So disappointed in JC Penny. Before the rep rudely hung up on my husband she also said it will be 3 days before we can get our money back which is a rip off! So ridiculous. So now, we (hopefully) get all our money back and then pray that they have the items in stock...

tammyt79
12/15/18

Ok, so been tracking my comforter set that I was emailed ,waited at home the day it was to come ,no luck .didnt get it called ups they say we don't have it called penny's they say well we don't know where it is somewhere between California and Ohio if you don't get it in the next week we'll refund your debit card.i told the girl it's a gift so I'm upset about this got total silence no I'm sorry just rudeness ,so I was going to order some more stuff but not now .

darleend2
12/11/18

I purchased a table and chair set that was marked $599.00 down from $1,500. The salesman told us that since there was no price on the chairs that they were included. We paid for the set but when we came back to pick it up 2 hours later we were told that we were misinformed and there is a charge for the chairs. They charged us an additional $311 for the chairs rather than honoring the saleman's error. In the meantime if you look up a similar set on Ashley furniture, a similar set, brand new, not a floor model goes for $1,100. Don't purchase from JC Penney in Crossgates Mall in Albany, NY.

km387
11/4/18

I spend over an hour picking out Christmas and birthday items on-line. I ordered 33 items. My order never came so I called the 800 number. I was told the order was "lost". No apologies, no compensation for my time. They never contacted me, I had to contact them. Left me scrambling for the birthday gifts last-minute. I do not want to do business with Penney's anymore. Not a dependable company. No wonder they are on the brink of bankrupcy!!!

johnb2035
10/20/18

Purchased a refrigerator from JC Penny with some hesitancy knowing I would have paid $100 dollars more at Best Buy or Home Depot. Very much regret it!! They delivered with a major dent in the side which the delivery guys sure knew about but never mentioned it when they installed. I have been trying to get it replaced over the past two months. After 4 reschedules and miscellaneous excuses about why they could not deliver each time, they showed up on the fifth try. Of course the refrigerator they were going to replace was damaged even more than the original one. Why even show up?!! So, now going on my sixth ridiculous try...Just buy from Best Buy or Home Depot and seriously do not waist your time. Good luck new CEO!

danc126
9/5/18

About once every 4-5 years I go to JC Penny to buy gold toe socks and levis jeans. Last week was that time. My total bill was over $300. The clerk asked if I wanted to save 1/3rd on my purchase by applying for a credit card. I told him I think I already have an account. The short of it is i applied for the credit card as long as they send me a bill in the mail. He did ask me if I wanted to put the purchase on the penny's card. I said yes. I received the credit card yesterday without a bill included. THE APR IS 27.99%. I Was finally able to log on to set up my login after several tries. And there was my new account and my old account. The only way to pay off my account is by providing my bank account information. That is it no other options. Never going to happen for me. So I called customer service to get a mailing address to pay my bill. The Penny's credit card is serviced by Synchrony Bank in Orlando, Florida. Their rating on BBB site is extremely low. I am not sure the JCPenny card is not just a Synchrony card with JC Penny printed on the front with JC Penny receiving a percentage of the 27.99% APR without the overhead of managing the credit card.

debbiek117
debbie k.
8/30/18

Online order that was ready to pick up at the store 7 days later. Only 2 of 6 pieces there. Store says one thing, customer service tells you something else. Canceled order. They don't care about the inconvienence & simply throw you sorry's & pet your head. NEVER will I do business with this failing company again.

lawrenceb115
8/29/18

I ordered window treatments from JCPenney In-Home Services
on 2/17/18. I then paid JCPenney $15,064.58 for these window treatments. As of
8/29/18 this project is still not complete. JCPenney re-measured my windows on
6/1/18 and supposedly re-ordered the materials. Called in late July to inquire
if the materials were in and it took a week for someone to call me back. Found
out they never re-ordered the materials. Sent someone else out two weeks ago to
measure AGAIN. JCPenney has now re-measured my windows three times. They have
just now re-ordered materials AGAIN. What a mistake we made going through
JCPenney. What a horrible, miserable experience this has been for me and my
family. There are so many reputable companies that offer in-home services like
this and unfortunately I used the absolute worst one. Plus they have now just
re-structured their In Home Services department with everything apparently
going through a Call Center.

darlenem94
8/22/18

I had $20.00 bucks to use. Since there are no JC Penny near me I went online and made a order. The order did not arrive. I looked it up and it said it could not be delivered. So I call JcPenny. And got the rudest woman ever!!! She wanted the order # I repeated it 5 times. Got no where with her. She said hang up and call again. So I called again!! Got the nicest lady named Anya She said she would order again. I said I used a prepaid card. She said to get another one, and that she would give me back my $20 bucks, waive the shipping. So I go to the bank get another card, call back ask for Anya, the lady said they could not do that. She said she would help me. She said no I could not get my #20.00 back!!!!! I did not reorder

angelas364
8/19/18

I placed a large order i recieved everything except a pair of shoes instead of resolving my situation they need to investigate why someone did not do there job an place my items in the box i order online alot by far this is the worst experience i have ever had no only is the customer service rude but they place me on a long holds and then hung up on me how can i get any help with this company they took my money but will not give me my product

jackj142
8/19/18

Bonus Bucks are Scam. 1 800/322-1189 is a SCAM!!
Bonus Bucks are Scam. 1 800/322-1189 is a SCAM!!
They Tell you to wait and then Bonus Bucks expire!!
Kohls is better, Shop at Kohls.

teresap124
8/19/18

I have a jcpenney master card and I get my bill in the mail. I pay my bill every month. Well last month they decided to send my bill through my email so I didn't get it so I didn't pay. Needless to say they declined my card so I can't use it. When I called they said I have to pay $64 right now to use my card. It was there fault for doing paperless without me knowing this so I am punished for it. That is bull $#*!. They make the mistake and we pay for it. I have excellent credit so I will shred this card and get another credit card. They can take my business ( which I have NEVER missed a payment) and shove it up their ass.

jeanz5
8/17/18

Bought clothes from JCP online and in-store. they have not issued the proper credit based on all my returns. Have been trying to get a response from JC Penney since June to no avail/ District Manager calls me and when I try to call back on the number he called me on, I get a store and no one knows where he is located. Elevating th eir fraud to State Attorney General

cindyj112
8/10/18

Its Aug and I'm still waiting on a Christmas present I ordered last December. When I finally got someone on the phone, they had no idea where it was; said if it was on a truck somewhere, they couldn't track it until it was unloaded. Then they told me I could even cancel the order until I received it.

lh141
7/1/18

I doubt they will be in business much longer. I tried ordering online and picking up at the local mall. The mall employees I dealt with were good helpful in customer service BUT NOT THOSE you reach on their Customer service number? I was missing 2 items from my order and they called in about it and that woman was absolutely clueless? They told her to mail the 2 missing items to my house but a month later nothing arrives and I got no update in my emails or contact info? I called up after the hoopla of end of school/graduation time today to find out that their story is the 2 items are out of stock, they were returned (although I explained over and over again that clerk didn't want me to get charged twice, it was an override saying that I didn't receive the 2 items) and since I was on hold so long, I did see the credits on my account. Obviously, there was some mistake but nobody wants to hear about it, admit to any error and the best part, don't expect any "sorry about that"? Wow, well they certainly deserve to lose business to the likes of amazon who excel at customer service and when they close down, oh well. I spoke to the customer service rep and a supposed manager but neither had any decency to really help nor say sorry about the whole situation? I tried to help fix their problem so it doesn't happen to anyone else but none of the employees at the customer service/management really care. Stay away & be aware!

heathera58
6/19/18

I placed an order at Sephora in my local JCPenney store for a CoverFX Contour kit since they didn't have it in stock and I had a merchandise credit from a previous return. I gave the sales clerk my ID with my correct address and she entered it INCORRECTLY. I realized this as soon as I received the order confirmation. I called JCPenney to update my address but was told that they weren't able to assist me, I had to wait until it was shipped and to call UPS to update my address. UPS informed me that Sephora wouldn't allow the address to be updated. So I called JCPenney back to have the package returned and my money refunded. It's been over a MONTH of back and forth frustrating phone calls between Sephora and JCPenney and I still don't have my money back and/or the contour kit I ordered. I will NEVER set foot in JCPenney ever again and if I purchase from Sephora going forward it will be from them directly. HORRIBLE customer service!!!!

miguels73
6/2/18

I have a bad experience with the jcpenny appliances. We bought a stove and they told us that they had professionals to connect the stove to the gas and we paid $100 for the installation, when they came to install it they left gas leaking and my family, 2 dogs and I for 4 days inhaling gas. We called MN energy but they couldn't do anything because they said that it wasn't their job since that day, Friday 25 to this day we haven't been able to use the new stove because jcpenny wasn't responsible of the gas leak. We have gone 3 times to the Jcpenney appliance center and they only give us phone numbers to call and don't help us whatsoever. They are a company of liars. If I could give this no stars I would. The managers of appliance center are clueless, it's unbelievable!

martyp26
6/1/18

I placed an order - item on sale with mfr rebate. They confirmed the order and even sent me an email saying "order has been shipped - with a tracking number" UPS never received the item. So I called in and they told me they lost the item. They re-ordered - and after I complained that due to their screw up the mfr rebate period had expired - a supervisor discounted my order = to the value of the rebate.
Fast forward 3 weeks...
They send me an email "your order has been shipped" with a tracking number. Again the item never reached UPS (when I queried the tracking number) - I called in and they advised that the order has been cancelled due to product no longer being available. Supervisor told me no substitute item available "Too bad so sad - case closed"
An hour later they send me an email "Your item is back in stock" if you wish to re-order. I try to re-order - out of stock.
What a screwed up company.
Sears in Canada went bankrupt partially due to sh*tty service like this. JC Penny is headed in the same direction.

pamelam216
5/19/18

Dont ever call their customer service. I had called them about an online order and was disconnected in the middle of the conversation. When I called back I got someone who was extremely rude and refused to put me through to a supervisor and was hung up on again. She clearly didnt want to be doing her job and was the rudest customer service person I ever spoke to. I wont give this store anymore business. Terrible!

ritah66
5/11/18

ordered towels for a mother's day present, was shorted, called in and was promised they would be over nighted to me so i would have them before mother's day. get a notice will be here on Monday, day after mother's day. called and spoke to 4 different supervisors and did not get this resolved and was finally given a pitiful $5 credit. what a joke!!! apparently you cannot trust this company to do what they say they will do, customer service is non existent with JC Penny. they should have refunded the whole amount of the 2 towels they shorted me and said keep them for your trouble. this would not be a big issue, most people would have just went to the store and got them there, but i am disabled as i told them and cannot get to the store. so this was and is a BIG stressor for me. what happened to keeping your customers happy and doing the right thing?

sylviaw34
4/18/18

Ordered a dishwasher; they use 3rd party to deliver, and then their delivery company uses 3rd party to deliver. Everything was messed up! Just trying to cancel the order took over an hour of my time because of all the 3rd parties involved.

I believe that there is a policy related to coupons. The clerk did look up your. Credit card. If you had been shopping at a grocery without your coupon it would have been the same. It is nice that at times they have made an exception for you which was good customer service on their part. Perhaps you had a new clerk that was still training or very busy. You should not blame the store for one instance with one employee. You also should not expect special treatment just because someone has bent the rules in the past.

By Shirley M.

Questions? Get answers from the JCPenney staff and other customers.

2 Photos for JCPenney