Review of iFixit

2018 Customer choice award

36 reviews with 1 star

adelem11
1/16/19

Immediately (literally minutes) after having my iPhone 8 Plus from the Brunswick store, my screen touch was not working. I went back into the store and was told to "just reboot your phone if that happens again". I apprehensively said "Ok" as he seemed trustworthy and nice. However, 2 weeks later, my the touch screen has gone haywire and after repeated reboots it still does not work. I tap on one area and my whole screen does things as if it things im tapping like a madman. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE. DO NOT GO TO THEM. Also, my screen cracked after 3 days and i did not even drop it. Worst experience ever. Never going back.

geralds143
12/17/18

I was excited to use the iFixit microwaveable iOpener. It looked so cool and easy to use. Unfortunately after trying for a solid hour to use the iOpener as the heating tool I ended up with a brick instead of a phone with a new battery. The iOpener does not work! Use it and you'll destroy your phone. Just stick to a hairdryer or heat gun.

caseye146
12/15/18

I ordered a trackpad for a mbp late 2012 thru ifixit which is super expensive compared to other places but I did it because I figured they would send the right part after tear down of computer and ready to install new trackpad the cable isn't long enough i could reuse the one that was already there but if it had been broken I would have been out of luck, super disappointed. If you are going to charge top dollar, I would exspect top quality.

hollye31
12/12/18

Broke my battery connector so I ended up having to buy a new laptop. Instructions weren't clear in that part of the repair.

divanif
12/3/18

My product has never arrived, and obviously already payed so, they just took my money.

I'm from Mexico and I after search some more found those screwdrivers in another local business.

If you're from Mexico maybe you should search another way

bradh170
11/10/18

I ordered a new phone battery two weeks ago and it still hasn't come yet. So here I am with a dead phone and unable to repair it. They should be more transparent about the actual shipping time if it is going to take more than two weeks to ship me an item so I know to go somewhere else to begin with. They mentioned at checkout that when I receive two day shipping, it may take longer for some batteries. I was told it would be two weeks longer for mine. I contacted customer service and they offered a refund or to ship a new one, however as a customer I should have been aware at the beginning of the purchase that I would be still waiting after two weeks with tracking information that says it left Wisconsin one week ago and is currently just "in transit" with no information as to where it actually is. It may be ifixit's fault or it may not, but I should know at the time of purchase.

gaborb8
11/5/18

I ordered a replacement battery for iphone 6. Installed it without any issues, however a few months after the replacement the phone started acting weirdly. Took the phone to a service where I was told that the battery is not functioning correctly.

jonnys22
10/24/18

Tool did not work on an xps 13, only messed up the jack and the surrounding plastic. Will now need a professional service to remove the piece and hopefully save the headphone jack.

nass
10/22/18

Their adhesive remover somehow evaporated and melted my keyboard (my laptop was off the whole time) and screwed up my trackpad, and the best part they are blaming "my installation"!! Would not recommend even to an enemy! Or on second thought I would definitely recommend it to an enemy.

neisih
10/16/18

I bought a front camera for my Samsung S8 and it was defective. Unfortunately I had already trashed the receipt so I cant return but when the tech tried to install it an error message kept coming up saying the part could not be recognized

ismaels13
10/10/18

Everything up until i installed my screen was great, after closer inspection i noticed a white spot on my screen. I contacted them and they replied back with the option returning the screen and getting a new one, i replied by telling them that taking apart my iphone again would be a hassle and asked them if i can get just some type of reinbursement (even a partial one) and from that point on they just never gave me an answer back!

firstn7
10/6/18

I broke the fingerprint sensor cable when replacing my battery. Ordered replacement sensor. It is slightly too large and in trying to snug it in I cracked my back case.

markn200
8/17/18

I bought a replacement screen for my cell phone and within a month the screen was discoloring and the phone was unusable. I emailed support to get the screen replaced and was told that my phone was damage and the screen was not working because of the damage. I sent several very clear pictures of my phone to them showing that the phone was not damaged with little response from iFixit. I also called them with little help. This is how iFixit gets out of their commitment to a lifetime warranty of a cellular screen replacement. This is an original email sent to me, read below.

"Thank you for your patience. Based on the picture, it looks like the display has suffered some physical damage, likely during installation. Physical damage that occurs during or after a repair is not covered under the Lifetime Warranty for this part.

On that note, I'd like to make a one-time exception for you, as we do want you to have a successful repair experience as well as a completely functional device. While our warranty doesn't cover it, we can provide a coupon for half-off of the purchase of a replacement screen, if you'd like to give your repairs another shot through iFixit.

For your reference, the indications of vertical and horizontal lines as well as block blobs are a good visual representation of a damaged LCD. This is typically due to pressure, all the way down to the LCD, causing the liquid crystals to spread freely under the glass. Normally, unless the Digitizer layer is also damaged, the touch input will function fine, but the pixels that would otherwise be rendered will be covered by those liquid crystals from the damaged LCD.

I've included some image links below to show how this appears on other devices to give you an idea of what to look out for in the future.

Please let me know if you would like that coupon and we will generate that for you.

Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck with your future repairs and we hope you can keep us in mind for future parts/tools needs.

All the best,"

Of course, they want to sell me another phone screen. What a joke.

bobc292
7/30/18

They have excellent repair guides that we use regularly, however ordering from them and their customer service are lacking. For instance, in an email, we were told that a shipment of cables would be sent out the following day and yet 5 days later the website shows that they have not even processed the order yet. Also, they just don't return phone calls nor answer emails.

mattn86
6/21/18

I'm writing this 3 weeks after I made the order and they still haven't responded to the multiple emails to support@ifixit.com.

I emailed and asked them to cancel my order because my client went elsewhere after I couldn't get the part soon enough. I told him a week max and they shipped it a little over a week after I ordered it. They still haven't responded to my emails.

While I have made many orders with them I am looking for a better supplier now. This just doesn't work.

vishalm10
6/20/18

I ordered iPhone 6s plus display assembly with 3D touch and tools required to fix it. I feel that the assembly is overpriced compared to some other panels available in the market. The repair went well on my side and I double checked all the connections. However, the 3D touch feature does not work as well as it used to with the genuine display assembly. 3D touch is getting triggered even if I normally touch the display and it doesn't work sometimes when I force touch very hard.

jakes127
5/11/18

I ordered a part from iFixit. The parts arrived fairly quickly but didn't function. They were DoA out of the box. When I requested a replacement, it took 3 days for them to get back to me. They told me in that response that a new part would be shipped within one business day. It is now 4 business days later and I have no tracking information, nor have I received anything back from their support team.

I'd highly recommend staying away from iFixit.

neilp38
3/30/18

never received the item what i a waste of time. they never reponsed me i had to file a disputed this ifix it is a thieve company

ginnyj7
11/20/17

I had read that the picture may not reflect the actual color with the GLASS screen. When I brought the phone in, they assured me that they Only use a NEW High Quality LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement for iPhone 7.They repaired it quickly, I came to get it, and I was immediately disappointed ! The Home Screen The Home Screen picture did not reflect the actual color and displayed poor, blurred, quality as if it was a glass screen! When I got home, encountered difficulties several times with the Touch Features. I have to press hard or lick my finger to move an item in an area. Also, often the whole screen freezes to where I cant do anything but turn the phone off and on again for it to work again. Then I saw that your warranty stated: Defective Parts are a common issue in this type of business.
I sent 2 emails, with no response! I called and was told that they use REFURBISHED products, even though they SAID they use NEW. Alexander, General Mgr, was to call me, left msg, and never called again. Due to their unprofessional Management, refurbished products, and unreliable service, I brought my phone back. Now 5 days later, the credit still hasnt shown up on my credit card!
Intook my phone to Magic Wireless , at Hacks Cross and Lawrence, 37125, they said my digital screen was damaged too! They used NEW Screens and replaced both screens for $85.00 plus tax and its working GREAT!

sellas1
11/4/17

A colleague recommended this awful company and l was so desperate that l foolishly trusted her word and did not read reviews and l wish l had been more patient and read reviews before taking my phone to such horrible people. First, l was charged $180 to fix my a bleeding screen on my Samsung s6 phone. To make it even worse l had to pay the total amount upfront! They promised to call me when my phone wad ready, the never did. When l finally got my phone back, l noticed that the screen was less touch sensitive, it was so hard typing anything. I took it back to them and again l was promised to be called when they received the screen, and again, they didn't call me.
At last my screen has been fixed. My advice to anyone out there, TAKE YOUR DEVICE TO THE HONEST AND LESS EXPENSIVE PEOPLE AT THE MALL, YOU HET GREAT SERVICE FOR A FRACTION WHAT YOU WOULD pay at Ifixit. I was ripped off. Listen to me, please don't use their services!!!!

anthonyc163
8/12/17

My iPhone 6 headphone jack wasn't working properly, so I decided to purchase the replacement part from iFixit, which also included a new lightning port, speaker and a few new connectors for other components.
I followed the instructions correctly, however, the speaker stopped working, and the vibrator would work only occasionally (original vibrator that came with the phone, but new connector).The whole phone would get very hot just from being switched on, and also had poorer battery life. Wifi would also drop in and out, probably because of the new cable/ connector for the antenna. None of these issues were occurring before I used the replacement part. I ended up having to go to a repair shop to get a full unit replacement done. See photo for the replacement part.

chrisu14
7/31/17

Their parts are cheap knockoffs and NOT genuine as advertised.
I purchased and installed a camera for my iPhone 6 Plus, which they claimed were genuine Apple Products with the Apple Logo. NOT ONLY did the item NOT work, but now I have several large vertical bars on my display!!
Once I put the camera in, reset all cables, sealed and booted my iPhone 6 Plus, there was NO boot logo! It was just a scrambled screen! I could not even shut it off so I had to get into my laptop to search how to disconnect the battery; I was not going to chance disconnecting any cables while the power was still on.
I put back in my old camera and put my iPhone back together. Now it is working fine, but I still see those vertical bars that I mentioned.
I not only feel angry for all of the work I did to try and fix this, but I am also angry that now my iPhone display is totally ruined!
Not only that, this camera looks NOTHING LIKE THE DEPICTION OF IT!: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6-Plus-Rear-Camera/IF269-009-1
There is NO Apple logo and, as a matter of fact, there are no letters/numbers displayed on the ribbon! I held it under my magnifying lamp and I can clearly see that anything that was printed on this ribbon was colored over with a permanent marker.
I feel cheated and scammed! I was very angry and I just wanted my money back.
I only made this purchase because their site guaranteed me that it was an original part that will work on my iPhone.
UPDATE: I just checked the provided link and NOW all of the pictures of this camera are gone from their website! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

I sent the item back for a refund and was sent this email:

It's me again, the bewitching iFixit Return Robot.
A support human has evaluated your return and the return process is complete. No further action is required.
Unfortunately, your return has been denied, per our return policy, as the part that was sent back was not an iFixit part. The part you sent back has sharpie and scratch marks over the Apple logo, while ours have a QR sticker, and a manufacturing stamp. If you still have the iFixit part and want to return it, please let us know. If you would like the part back, we'd be happy to send it back to you at your expense. Please contact us with in 7 days of this email if you would like the part back, otherwise the part will be properly recycled for your convenience. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bwzmpxoxbq4mqg9/AACH63DjY2jNiUCSgz_qfMila?dl=0
If you have any questions, reply to me and I can pass on your message to our team.
Thanks for your business!

-----------------------

So now they are denying my refund because of the magic marker and no Apple logo, etc.
There is obviously something going on with this site. So please just use caution before using this site.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you record every aspect from opening to installing any product from this place or they will try to deny that it was even their product in the first place.

paull210
7/19/17

I used to love ifixit. As an electrical engineer who used to build my own computers from scratch, I'm not opposed to rolling up my sleeves to extend the shelf life of expensive electronics. I make a habit of replacing my iPhone battery every year, and ifixit makes it very easy to do this. Also, as a Cal Poly alumni, I've watched this company grow up in my own back yard over the past 10 years. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say it has not grown well. It's still the same small town players attempting (and failing) to operate a global scale internet business.

My problems date back to about three years ago, when I was shipped a faulty replacement battery for my iPhone 5. The battery had a dead cell, which meant it would suddenly shut off around 30% charge. When I brought this to the attention of ifixit support, they were quick to respond and send me a replacement. Since replacing the battery is a minor operation, I was able to swap this out in about 15 mins with only minor trouble for having to do it twice.

Fast forward a year later, I had upgraded to an iPhone 6, and after a year of skiing in Tahoe the microphone had gotten some kind of water damage. Everyone kept complaining that my calls were muffled and hard to understand. So I pulled up the ifixit website and sure enough, they had a replacement part. I ordered it and set in for major iPhone surgery.

The iPhone 6 microphone is on a much larger assembly at the bottom of the phone, which pretty much requires stripping the phone down to bare metal and using conductive adhesive to carefully route all these components without affecting the antennas, which are also in the area. Needless to say, this is a MAJOR project taking about an hour to complete your first time. (I got quite good by the third time - more on this in a minute.)

So after performing this long and painstaking task, I finally got my iPhone buttoned up again with everything functional. Except the microphone. The thing I was trying to fix actually got WORSE. To the point where I had to use headphones to make all my calls because the internal microphone was so muffled and muted.

I called up ifixit, and they apologized for the defective part - shipping me a new one overnight. Slightly annoyed, I set about replacing this part again, only to find this new part worse than the first. I hit the ceiling. After doing some research online, I learned ifixit was sourcing these parts directly from China, and was having issues with quality control since they didn't test them locally before shipping straight to customers.

Luckily they owned up to this mistake, and promised shipped me a third replacement part provided I would return ship my first two defective ones. The third part was the charm, and I finally had a working iPhone again.

Fast forward to the final chapter of my story. I managed to dent the lower volume rocker on my iphone 7. (How this can happen blows my mind...) Having forgotten about my experience a year prior, I hop onto the ifixit website from my phone and find the exact replacement part I need. Within 5 minutes the part is in my cart, and I'm able to get the order off before I lose reception going into the mountains (doubling checking that it's the right version, color, etc.) A couple weeks later the part arrives, and I prepare to perform the surgery. (Another doozy that requires a stripdown to bare metal.) Just before I start the repair, I decide to pull out the replacement part to get it prepped for the swap. To my surprise, I find that it's silver, not black. On further investigation, I learn they shipped me an iPhone 6 part, not one for iPhone 7.

Upon bringing this to the ifixit team's attention, I have to wait upwards of 48 hours for a response (a marked departure from the prompt customer service I've seen in the past). The customer service rep then proceeds to spend less than 5 minutes reviewing my case, and cheerfully responds that they will send me another iPhone 6 part right away. I respond on the thread that they should NOT send me another bad part, and to please send me the part I was trying to order in the first place. I look on their website and see that the iPhone 7 part that I need is out of stock - probably explaining why they sent me an iPhone 6 part instead.

The customer service rep never looks back at my thread, and sure enough, I recieve the wrong part again. I again hit the roof. How hard is it to spend an extra 5 minutes studying a case to get it right? I ask for a full refund of my return.

The customer service rep grants the RMA and informs me that I am entitled to about $90 back. I send the materials off, and about a week later get an email saying $60 will be credited to my account. When I ask about this discrepancy, a THIRD customer service rep tells me that I'm being charged a 15% restocking fee, adding insult to injury to this whole debacle.

In the end, I have to put a strong BUYER BEWARE on ifixit. Bad supply chain and slipping customer service.

benr76
5/10/17

They sent me two different screens. Both were broken and the second one blew my GPU. After bricking my phone, they refused to refund me for their faulty parts.

waynew50
4/12/17

Was sold a faulty battery for my MacBook Air and a broken screwdriver. Customer service refuses to answer emails and phone calls. Avoid at all costs.

Their instructions cover each step in clear detail. All include photos and nearly all have video as well. Highly recommended!

By John D.

Telephone number is (866) 613-4948.

By Bruce J.

The company is located in the United States but their products are sources from China and often drop shipped that way with considerable markups.

By Hanna L.

Questions? Get answers from the iFixit staff and other customers.

iFixit?