Review of Hirt's Gardens

greenhousematt@gmail.com

16 reviews with 1 star

maritesr2
10/24/18

Plants are not in good conditions,damaged and missing orders.call them they wont solve the problem.Very disappointed!!!

estherc43
6/15/18

This company is a lie. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! I bought a RED FREDDY GENOVESE BASIL from them but they send a PURPLE BASIL instead. The picture on their website is red and even the tag that came with the plant is red. I was obviously upset and send them an email and the guy kept insisting that the picture on the tag is purple. The picture and the plant look different and they insist on me paying for the return shipping if I want to return it which I believe is not justified since they were the one who send the wrong basil to me. I felt scammed! Very disappointed with their customer service.

lawl
6/5/18

i brought munchkin oakleaf hydrangea and they came dying broken and a mess never buy from this place again should've read the review frist

cm210
5/8/18

This company is a joke and the Principal of the company is a complete jerk. I read their reviews and can see where his personally is coming from. They have very very poor rating with the BBB. I read some reviews before I ordered and they were so so. Guess I was looking at the wrong site. They really must SUCK because my review is nothing compared to what some people have said. They should have talked to Alan Hirt such a foul mouth and I was his customer. Guess he never learned customer relations, or business going down the tube really gets to a guy. Showed on the web site that this company was started by Samuel Hirt in the early 30s. Don't you know his family must really be proud of Alan.

mariap194
1/5/18

I wish I could give Hirt's Greenhouse a zero star rating. But I am forced to give it at least 1 star. The company has an F rating with the BBB in its community and countless 1 and 1 1/2 star ratings in plant-related websites, among them the worldwide-respected Dave's plant forum, as well as the Houzz website.

I paid $17.58, which included shipping charges, for what I thought would be a healthy 4" pot Dwarf Alberta Spruce. But what I received was a dying, yellowish brittle sapling, with dry, bent branches and shedding needles. The soil in the pot was powdery-dry, and the sapling had been sealed to the pot not with paper tape which could have been moistened, but with rubbery packing tape. And then, the sapling was crammed in a small USPS box, surrounded by packing peanuts. There was no moisture for the sapling, or protection from the drying packing peanuts.

I phoned and emailed Hirt's about the problem when the sapling came in. No one answered the phone, though Matt Hirt answered my emails. His responses, however, consisted of only several words. They did not address the problem with the sapling. He did ask that I email to him a photo of the sapling, and I emailed four photos and a lengthy explanation of my many unsuccessful attempts to revive it. He then responded with a few laconic words that did not address the problem. I also called PayPal and Walmart because the transaction was conducted through the two companies. But each time a recording informed me that it would be over two hours before I could speak to a representative. And, finally, in desperation, I called my credit card company, where a helpful person assisted me in filing for a chargeback.

Hirt's may have been a great place to purchase plants 66 years ago, but nowadays it is a place where the owners have zero remorse about selling dying or diseased plants and treating customers disrespectfully. And the behave that way because they know that it is nearly impossible to reach anyone at the financial institution that purchase transactions go through. Plus, Hirt's obviously do not care about their dismal ratings

bethl55
11/17/17

Bought bonsai plants from Hirts through Amazon. We're not as described. Went through a lengthy and torturous email conversation and even sent photos of the plants. They refused to acknowledge their error. Thankfully Amazon issued a full refund. Will never buy from Hirts again!!!!

maryannl7
5/15/17

Walmart.com order # Order #4871627-473346 Pappas Grass planted last Fall & ALL ARE DEAD. I DIDN'T EVEN GET ONE SEASON TO ENJOY. I understand your return policy is 15 days but come on they weren't even green this Spring. Can you PLZ send a replacement???

andreaw62
5/13/17

I ordered roses from WalMart to be delivered from Hirt's Gardens. The roses were at the point dying with yellow leaves and powdery mildew. Called and emailed both WalMart and Hirt's Gardens with no positive results. Guess I'll have to say it's a lesson learned. Do not buy from either Hirt's Gardens or WalMart.

patriciah142
4/10/17

I ordered 5 plants from Hirts and received today. The first one was full of bugs. Omg different kind of bugs. Awful. The plants are awful. I tossed them away I don't want them near my other plants.

halinaz
3/24/17

I use to order from Hirt's Gardens all the time. The plants have always been robust and healthy upon arrival. I ordered two shamrocks through Walmart marketplace on March 6, Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant @$4.99. By March 16 not even two weeks both died and the communication with them was very poor. Defeated the purpose of having them for St. Patrick's day. They said it was no longer available at this site so they issued a refund what made it worse was they stated the reason for the refund was that I had changed my mind when I hadn't. They did have it on Amazon at a much higher price.
----------------Pasted from Amazon-------------------------
Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant or House Plant
by Hirt's Gardens
$ 24 58 + $3.00 shipping

They didn't acknowledge the truth. So I decided to give them one more try and order directly from them. The plant I had ordered before was no longer available on their site either. So I ordered a close facsimile. Rare Fire Fern Shamrock Plant - Oxalis also in a 4" Pot. When it arrived it was poorly planted in the pot looking quite unhealthy and scraggly not full like any of the photos. It has only 8 shoots with very few leaves. I don't expect the plants to look identical but I took a picture of mine. I received an email today March 24, 2017 review their plant. I did write a review but they did not post it. When I checked the reviews there was the a new review with today's date. I pasted below from their website. I find it ironic how I stated in my review the plant looked very unhealthy and this unknown source wrote Small Plant but very healthy. I did include my name in my review. I will no longer be buying from them. I also have screen shots of all the pages stated in this review should there be any doubts or rebuttals from Hirt's. I will no longer refer anyone to their site for any plants.

---------------------------------------Pasted from their website----------------
PRODUCT REVIEWS

WRITE REVIEW
SMALL PLANT 5 Star Review
Posted by Unknown on Mar 24th 2017

But very healthy

sandyc53
8/10/16

I am so greatly disappointed. I ordered some seeds from Hirt's. I was excited to finally receive them. I planted them according to the directions enclosed.They didn't come up and didn't come up.
Then as I was reading the sheet enclosed with the seeds, I couldn't get the statement." All sales are final", out of my head. It made it sound like they don't expect them to germinate and grow, so they don't want to be responsible. Are they old seeds? Are they truly the fern peony seeds? I don't feel they are very truthful and will never order from your company again.

ashleyk36
2/5/16

This seller sent me a vase and bulb set for Christmas. The vase came chipped and physically damaged. Seller agreed to refund (reluctantly after demanding several photos) and then claimed he never got the returned item. Funny... This happened after I left an honest review about his nasty customer service. Mr. Hirt changes the terms of his own policy in order to take people's hard earned money. Then he has the audacity to admit he will re-sell my damaged vase which he claims not to have!!! Do NOT make the mistake I did. He should be revomed from all big online merchants. The merchant I chose sided with Mr. Hirt so I'm pretty sure he pays them off. WARNING HORRIBLE LYING SELLER!!!!

tonym98
6/30/15

Terrible scraggly plants of very poor quality, zero customer service, this is not a company you want to do business with. If they allowed zero stars I would have chosen that.

davids254
9/25/14

HIRTS & AMAZON DO NOT PUT THEIR COSTUMERS FIRST-

Neither Amazon or Hirts Nursery can figure out what their return/refund policy is on dead plants. I ordered and then received ten 4" Boston Ivy plants that where delivered over 2 wks. ago. Upon delivery I promptly opened the box and the potted 4" plants looked... weak. I planted and watered the plants the same day, there where no return instructions or planting instructions with the shipment. Four days later the plants where dead.
I called Amazon told them about my problem -Amazon said that they would contact Hirts and Hirts, would have 2 days to reply/respond to the problem (turns out Hirts did not). Almost 2 wks. later and 4 more phone calls (of which I was told 3 times there would be a replacement of product or refund) I discarded the shipping box and 10 planting pots.
AS OF TODAY Amazon changed their position- Amazon told me I HAD to now dig up the 10 dead plants and ship them back to Hirts- and see if I could get a refund from Hirts. When I checked Hirts web site (which is a Co. Amazon is representing ) Hirts has NO return policy posted under returns. See: hirts.com
After all the time and inconvenience this has cost me I would have been better off going to Home Depot Wal-Mart Sears etc. Where the employs can clearly speak to you, and tell you what the policy is. Where the costumer is treated with respect. Check Better Business Bauru Rating of : F. http://www.bbb.org/akron/business-reviews/florists-retail/hirts-greenhouse-and-flowers-in-medina-oh-190612653

charlesj17
9/6/14

I purchased 10 rainbow trees, Eucalyptus Deglupta. When I received them, I noticed that two were distinctly different from the other 8. I planted them in the ground anyway. The two were different, and going back thru Amazon, I brought this to Amazon's and Hirt's attention. I recd an email back from Amazon that said Hirt's was sure I had the right trees, that they all look different as saplings. The two trees in dispute are fat, round leaves compared to the slender leaves of the Rainbow Tree. I wrote back and said that you really had to be stupid to confuse the two. Finally, i got a response back from Hirt's that they were refunding the money on two trees. I never asked for a refund or replacement. But I am glad that Hirt's did the right thing. (Added note 2 months later: Hirt's never did refund my money. They sent me an e-mail asking that I send them the original e-mails between me, Amazon and Hirt's. I figured that if they were going to play the paper work game, I'd just let it drop. Even more disappointed than before with Hirt's.) (2nd Added Note 10 Feb 2016: I recently saw on a plant lookup website that Hirts was closed. Dont know if this is true, but can believe it with their lousy service and unhealthy plants.)

melissap
8/13/09

I let my 9yr old daughter pick what flower she wanted to plant in the garden this year & after winning an auction on ebay for the type of tomato plant I'd been wanting to try to grow I just followed their link to the sellers website which turned out to be Hirt's Gardens. They had the type of flower she wanted and a tree I also thought would be fun to grow I spent $39.12. OK so when the plants came we(my daughters & I) planted them. I noticed as the plant my daughter had picked out to be her's ( a Harlequin Hydrangea) didn't look like any of the other hydrangeas I have growing but when I spoke to her about it she wasn't concerned & told me not to worry they probably sent us something cool & she wanted to see it grow into whatever it was! OK fine water,feed,grow all season long right?! Well it never got cute & finally I told her we had given it enough time & I'd contact Hirt's & see what was fair to do since the plant they sent me is STILL growing outside my house! Stephanie & Hirt's garden's told me to take a pic and send it to them with an explination of my issue which I did immediately. The response in email I got was & I quote "The picture you sent me is a weed.We did not send that to you." Really? So I called to talk to whomever had just called me a liar because not only was I angry @ the accusation that I was going out of my way to lie but for an entire summer I'd been taking care watering & feeding a weed.Ugh! I got to talk to Al Hirt the owner who will let you know he has a horticultural degree right before he hangs up on you afer telling you that you don't & calling you a liar. I mean really shipping included I'm disputing$12.71 & I don't even want the $ I just want the plant my baby picked out that I already paid for. I was told by Stephanie when I called back that Al Hirt was refusing my phone call because I used offensive language when I told him it really "pissed me off that he would call me a liar". Really Al" pissed off "gets your goat? I'm more man than you apparently cause I wasn't afraid to stay on the phone after you accused me of being dishonest! Wow I mean you'd think with that fancy college degree & your own(inherited) company you would have learned customer service?! Well that's ok Al let me give you your 1st lesson the customer is always right. Your 2nd would be beware of a woman scorned with a passion for customer service. I guess that's all for today Al & tell Steph I was thinking of her when I wrote this too,as for tomorrow the BBB & ebay should be giving you your follow up customer service lessons & by the way I still have my reciept:)

Questions? Get answers from the Hirt's Gardens staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Hirt's Gardens