Review of Fry's

2018 Customer choice award

16 reviews with 4 stars

leeannq1
11/22/18

Fry's has a wide array of products to choose from with decent prices which is pretty good but the website is very old looking and sometimes that's enough to turn me away from shopping here again.

cindyf28
12/5/17

I love Fry's and I buy more then computer parts there. Shampooers, microwaves, vacuums, music/videos and as seen on TV. However if you need help you will have difficulty finding a sales rep to help you, Last night I went in to buy a mini fridge for my father. Since they had no boxes you could throw in your cart I had an unpleasant time trying to get the sales rep to help me. Not getting any response from the first rep for a good 5 minutes, I was asked to wait for another rep but of course no rep was available even after at least a ten minute wait . Assuming that they rather not help me I decided to leave and made my purchase elsewhere where I was gladly welcomed and helped.If I need to purchase anything here that requires the aid of a sales rep I won.t be buying it and will go elsewhere.This isn't the first time this happened to me. It is simply not a store that helps their customers.

richardr146
1/4/17

Website is easy to navigate. I live only about a 20 minute drive from one of their stores.

adelitav
8/7/16

I can pretty much find what ever in looking for and coffee too.

rafaelk24
8/6/16

It's a good store but for on-line shopping the website need to be redesigned.

giuliom2
7/24/16

What more can I say? They have so many products on sale all the time its hard not to buy something at times when visiting their website or their stores. And if you're tired and hungry you can visit their restaurant, eat, and rest before continuing your shopping spree! Nice!

wendyj26
5/22/16

Good variety of hard to find electronic accessories and computer parts. One stop shopping for all types of electronics for a reasonable price.

fredl35
12/27/15

The only similar store I have seen that is better is the French chain Fnac. I am 100% satisfied with all my purchases. That is good because their return policy is not very good.
You have to do your research.
I made them a lot of money by correcting a gross dysfunction.
A salesperson told me that at the time of Windows Vista, 60% of customers refused to purchase a computer from them if it ran Vista. The head of the repair dept told me it was no problem to uninstall Vista (or Windows 8) and put in some other system. The sales department did not know this service existed. No more turning away 40% of business.

They have full page ads in all the newspapers all the time, not just during holidays.They do not stock junk .

They are big enough to stock every imaginable gadget you might need.Much greater variety than Best Buy or Costco.

justinf25
6/23/15

as the title says i got some games i wanted and they had them

sherryl19
5/4/15

My husband and son love it.

wrh
3/26/15

great in store deals if you have one near you but the online stuff can be beat

chesterm21
3/12/15

Just about two years since I bought these from Amazon.

Matched them with a Harman Kardon AVR 145 and wow. This was a team. I have heard many tower speakers from different family and friends, and of course from Best Buy and the like. These speakers can handle a lot of sound and keep clean without distortion.

ansonw11
4/8/13

one of my favorite stores, got everything i need. too bad, they don't have store in many cities.

rons14
7/7/11

I love going to fry's there is just something about it. If you like electronics there is nowhere else I can think of that is like fry's. If you not lucky enough to live by a Fry's then you can still go to the website. They have a lot of stuff to look at. I use fry's online store more for finding hard to find parts and getting part numbers when trying to build or fix a computer. I usually just find the part I need and go to fry's in person to get it. So as far as shipping goes I can't tell you. What I can tell you is if need a part that is hard to find they probably have it.

chriso1
3,071 helpful votes
5/29/10

The largest collection of goods without boxes, boxes without goods, goods with missing cables or instructions, and returned and resealed-as-if-still-working products I've ever seen. Sometimes every single item in an entire product range has been used once and returned by a customer, each to be repackaged and replaced on the shelf with one of those orange labels which you should ideally interpret to mean "stay well away from this one".

If you are looking for a job here, be warned that company dress policy results in only the Mormons being able to field this many ill-fitting black suits in the one place. On the plus side no particular product knowledge seems to be required, which I assume justifies the poor salaries which are rumored to be on offer, and no certain knowledge of the location of any product is required, permitting staff to send inquiring customers to Aisle 5 regardless.

Although the reputation of Frys own brand products was always well known, I did appreciate confirmation when I bought a Frys laptop a few years back. The salesman, who confided that he was leaving the company on the following day, was kind enough to assure me that no more than around 90% of this particular model had overheated within a week of being purchased and had been returned. This was about what I'd expected, but since I couldn't afford anything better, I went ahead and bought it even against his recommendation. The curious part is that the computer, which had been anonymously made in China, then went on to work perfectly, without overheating, and entirely reliably, for at least the next three years. Surprise, eh?

My last successful purchase here was an HD TV for a relative, and I benefited from Frys notoriously poor stock-keeping and store service. Initially, I picked a model that was already discounted on the day. Then, as I was kept waiting about a half hour while various salesmen searched for the package, I got a further discount. And since the packing never did turn up and I was prepared to accept the TV just as it was, I got another discount. A fair deal, that one. But not the first time I'd had a similar experience; I'd bought a digital camera a couple of years previously and despite going through every box they had, they couldn't find one single camera that still had its lens cap, instructions, battery and so forth. Nobody seemed able to guess where all these accessories had vanished to but since they were unable to put a complete set together a nice healthy discount was on offer for accepting whatever they had.

If you watch the local newspaper for the daily bargains, you can do really well here - if you're buying a product that's good quality to start with. The special sales on vacation days can also yield some good buys. But Frys does also stock some pretty cheaply made products, in fairness at very low prices, so if you're trying to save every cent do look carefully before you buy something at the bottom of the price range. It may not be worth the amount you save.

As others have observed, the returns policy here has always been great and this explains the sometimes astonishingly long line of customers returning goods that didn't work. Frys makes no attempt to conceal it, placing the large Returns section right next to the front door in the lobby, which is unusually honest for a retailer.

The only thing that just about everyone has a complaint about, at least at the Campbell store where I shop, is the limited parking. Not that it's a limited parking space, it's just not big enough to cope with the phenomenal volume of business that Frys does here. And over at the other local store, which is somewhat bigger than your average aircraft hangar, you could probably land a medium sized airliner in the car park but there still aren't enough spaces on a busy day.

Overall it's true to say there's nothing else quite like Frys in this area. It can be incredibly crowded, making it a fun place to just hang out and people-watch even if you don't want to buy anything; it can yield really great bargains if you know what you want and choose the right day; and it has an eclectic, unrivaled product range. It is also a pain to shop here at busy times, you should be knowledgeable about the brands you buy, and you may have to deal with missing packaging and accessories especially with discontinued products of which there may only be a couple of examples left in stock. The company slogan is the unimaginative "Your best buys are always at Frys", and although I'm sure it's not literally true, if you're careful and your visit is well timed you could definitely find your best buy here.

rodg
5/2/07

the mecca for all geeks - I get lost in here for weeks at a time. They have the best return policy on the planet. If its broken, just return it. If you get tired of it, just return it. Just don't ever buy something that was returned even if its 10% off.

I used to shop at Fry's when I was in the United States and I now live in China and have actually visited a factory where some of the Beats products are manufactured. Fry's products are all genuine products. During my 5+ years of shopping at Fry's, they have always given me excellent service and refunded my purchase price if ever I needed to make a return. If want FAKE products then try a famous auction web site, some no-name web sites with lots of bad English grammar and too-good-to-be-true prices shipped from Asia. Alternatively, you could book a flight to Shenzhen, China and I could introduce you to many Beats counterfeits. Fry's is a great place to shop and I highly recommend them for good price and quality products. I hope you enjoy your new Beats headphones when you finally get them.

By Rick L.

Go somewhere else. Ordered a Samsung 65" QLED from Frys, they delivered it and I opened the box and installed it on the stand we have. When I turned it on it has a 3" crack in the screen at the top center. Called them and was told I have to bring it in the store to have it checked. They concluded it was my fault and would not fix or replace it. Terrible customer service. Two other customers were there trying to return items and they would not take them back. Now we're stuck with a TV that's cracked.

By Roy D.

yes, common over bro

By whatafak w.

5 min

By whatafak w.

Questions? Get answers from the Fry's staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Fry's