Review of Freshly

Gourmet, Chef Made Meals Delivered To Your Door
Learn More

tomd368
4/17/19

This company is terrible about delivering on time and their meals are inconsistent regarding quality and taste. Don't buy from freshly.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for taking the time to review Freshly, Tom, and for sharing your feedback. I'm terribly sorry to hear of the frustration caused by your recent orders, and that we haven't been better able to provide you with the true Freshly experience. We aim to be a convenience service, and I understand we've let you down here. I'd like to assure you that your feedback has been shared with the entire Freshly team, and I'll ensure this isn't taken lightly.

I understand you've chosen to cancel your subscriptions at this time, and I do apologize that I haven't been better able to assist and make this situation right. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your account, or if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to send me a private message right here on SiteJabber. I am always ready and willing to help.
calebb62
4/15/19

I ordered my meal at the end of March, with the projected delivery date being April 11th. The 11th came around with no delivery. Recieved an email about a delay, delivery pushed back to the 12th.

Still no delivery. Called two different times and spoke to two different people who assured me that my order would be delivered "the next day" (as of this posting, it is "the next day," and my order still has not arrived).

Woke up to an email apologizing since they "can't deliver my order." This place is a joke and a scam, will warn everyone I know away from it.

lindab1200
4/15/19

TL;DR--I absolutely love the Freshly meals and their customer service has always been great. Meals come on time, with excellent packaging that ensures they stay very cold for hours, and they are always delicious. I highly recommend the Freshly service.

Full review:
I am genuinely surprised at folks who have had issues with Freshly customer service because I have been getting their meals for a couple of months now and have been blown away by how friendly and responsive their customer service is. The food is delicious, but can be a bit pricey after the initial discounted period, so it is definitely not for everyone. But for those who end up going out to eat too often and want a bit more control over their finances and their portion sizes, Freshly is a lifesaver. I personally try to schedule my deliveries for weeks when I know work is going to be too crazy and I won't have time to do much shopping or cooking, and it is great for that. I have loved almost every meal I tried, and even the ones I didn't love I could still tell that the quality was amazing, it just wasn't to my specific tastes.

The only thing I don't love about the service is having to dispose of the packaging. They are packaged so that they can stay cold for up to 12 hours after delivery, which requires a large amount of insulation. It is almost all recyclable (or at least biodegradable), so the impact to the environment is not as bad as it would otherwise be, but the process of deconstructing all the different parts of the packaging so it can be recycled or disposed of is not pleasant and is definitely not convenient. But I can do that on the weekends when I have more time, so the convenience I get from having delicious and filling meals available just when I need them is definitely worth the small inconvenience of dealing with the packaging disposal.

My meals have always been delivered on the scheduled delivery day, usually early enough for me to have one for lunch if I want to. I have had to contact customer service a few times to get things adjusted, etc. and every time they have been extremely professional, friendly, and responsive. They have both a phone number and live chat so you can pick which method you prefer, and they are equally helpful through both methods. In fact, I rarely choose chat if a phone number is available, but the Freshly chat representatives are so good that I tend to go that route now because it is faster.

Basically, if you are looking for a meal service that tastes as good as restaurant meals and requires zero cooking, look no further than Freshly.

Tip for consumers: Pay attention to the time for skipping weeks, as it's noon rather than midnight as you might expect. Make sure to check the expiration dates on all your meals when they arrive, as some of them don't last as long as others.

Response from Adam G., Freshly Representative
Hi Linda! Thank you so much for the kind words and review of Freshly! We are so happy you are enjoying our meals! We will be sure to pass along the feedback in regards to the packaging! We are testing new packaging options, and hope to have them available in the near future! Enjoy!
abigailm56
4/14/19

I had to wait about a month for delivery of 1st order. It didn't show up on delivery day. I called & was told that there was a delay & I would get it the next day. Did not show up the next day. I cancelled!! No one contacted me, I had to call both times for info. The delivery company was blamed but records show both orders were never shipped!! I do not know how this company stays in business!! So many reviews have stated the same problems. Freshly told me that communication is the most important issue to them. What a joke!!!! I had to contact them about my missing orders. I would never recommend them. They cannot be trusted. DO NOT waste your time or money!!!!!!!

Response from Kalicia M., Freshly Representative
Hi Abigail, I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you! Please know that we take delivery issues extremely seriously. It's certainly never our intention to not have your meals arrive as scheduled! Communication is important to us and we do our very best to keep you updated whenever there is a possible issue. As we continue to grow we're working to put better measures in place to avoid any situations, and provide better communication when delays do occur!

Of course, we do everything we can to avoid these situations, though we're always sure to compensate when they arise. Rest assured, we are actively working with the carrier to rectify these recent troubles. Delivery issues are never acceptable for us, and I can't apologize enough that we've let you down. I do hope we get the opportunity to provide the true Freshly experience.

With that said, I have reached out to you in a private message to better assist you and try to make things right! Again, truly do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused!
unh8
4/13/19

We ordered from Freshly because I am dealing with an illness and unable to get out much. The first order never arrived. They said they would credit our account and give us a $20.00 credit on our next order. They said it would be delivered today, Saturday. I accidentally found out they had delivered by FedEx but to the wrong address. Freshly needs to make sure FedEx does not make a delivery to the wrong address or they need to find another way to deliver the food. I have not tried the food yet because they keep screwing up so I do not know what the food quality is like. A few people on here say it is pretty bad.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Hi Un, I'm so sorry for any trouble you encountered with delivery! It's never our intention to not have your meals arrive as scheduled, and we do everything we can to prevent any disruptions. Communication is important to us and we do our very best to keep you updated whenever there is a possible issue. While carrier delays are out of the norm, weather-related issues, road closures, driver confusion, etc. can wreak havoc.

Of course, we have a delivery team dedicated to working with the carriers to ensure successful deliveries, and we're always sure to compensate when delays arise. We're also diligently working to get these recent troubles rectified!

With that said, I have reached out to you in a private message to better assist you and try to make things right! Again, truly do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused!
joycea77
4/5/19

I can only afford to do it once a month, but its always wonderful, glad i joined before I read some of these negative reviews, which I don't agree w/ at all!

Response from Cristin D., Freshly Representative
Hi Joyce, thanks so much for reviewing Freshly! I'm so happy to hear you're loving our meals and service. It sounds like we're a perfect fit! If you should ever need anything, don't hesitate to connect with me at SocialSupport@Freshly.com. I'm happy to help! As always, I hope you enjoy!
angelaz30
3/30/19

For me, I have tried Freshly now for 4 weeks. I have had no issues whatsoever. All of my deliveries show up on time and PLENTY of ice left in the box. They could probably stand to use 1 or 2 less ice packs. I love that the box is recyclable. The ice packs have non toxic liquid in them and the plastic can be recycled. The insulation is bio degradable. These meals are fully prepared and ready in about 3 minutes in the microwave. It would be awesome to have the option to heat them in the oven. The portions are just enough to be satisfying and most all of the food has been excellent especially considering its precooked and microwaved. None of the meat has been rubbery or dry. We've tried steak, chicken, shrimp and sausage. I'm not thrilled that they use canola oil and wished that they had more Paleo options. Some of their recipes are so close to Paleo if they just adjusted 1 or 2 ingredients. I love that it's all gluten free! And I certainly have loved not having to think about cooking or grocery shopping or meal planning. My boyfriend and I get 12 meals per week, 6 for each of us. So we have dinner every night. During the day we snack on yogurt or salads. We also receive Butcher Box once every three months so we can supplement the 7th night with meat from that. I've cut way down on the amount of time and money spent at the grocery store and am not throwing away nearly as much food. All in all I think it's a win!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you get your meal choices in on time.

Response from Cristin D., Freshly Representative
Hi Angela, thanks so much for taking the time to review Freshly! I truly appreciate all the kind words and your detailed feedback - I'll be sure to pass this along to the appropriate members of my team. As a growing company, we're always looking for new ways to better not only our meals, but our service as well! So every bit of information we receive (good or bad) helps us immensely to meet this goal. As always, we hope you continue to enjoy your Freshly meals! And if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to connect with us at SocialSupport@Freshly.com. We're always happy to help! Thanks so much again, Angela!
nickw163
3/28/19

I've used this service since it launched in Dallas. Good food, healthy choices and convenience you can't beat. Thank you Freshly for helping this bachelor not need home cooked meals!

Response from Kalicia M., Freshly Representative
Hi there, Nick! I truly do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and comments! I'm so glad our service is a great fit for you, we started Freshly because we believe eating fresh, nutritious dishes every day should be easy for everyone! Please stay tuned for the new and exciting changes!

Thank you again, Nick, and if there's ever any questions or concerns that I can assist with, please feel free to reach out!
thomass663
3/27/19

This is a scam. I ordered 6 meals not realizing I was signing up for a subscription service. I cancelled immediately when I received the email confirmation. It acknowledged the cancellation. As a safe guard I disputed the charge on my card with the bank. I received notice yesterday that the order had been shipped! I immediately called "customer service" and was told my card was charged immediately upon placing the order and it can not be credited. I will not pay for this order and will refuse delivery when it arrives! SCAM SCAM!

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for taking the time to review Freshly, Thomas, and for sharing your experience with us. I'm terribly sorry to hear about any trouble with your order and account! When placing an order with Freshly, you would be charged immediately for the delivery and meals selected. While you can certainly cancel the subscription at anytime, this would not necessarily cancel an order that has already been charged, as our Support Team would need to complete this for you. I do apologize for the confusion, and ultimate inconvenience this caused you.

In order to speak to your specific order more closely, I've reached out to you via a private message. I hope to connect with you soon, so I can help make this right!
edwardm296
2/4/19

Never had a chance to taste one meal. Signed up to save time and eat healthily, chose 12 meal plan and had selections set for 3+ weeks out. First and second delivery canceled day of delivery after already being emailed that they shipped both times. Completely messed up my week each time forcing me to go shopping and meal plan or order fast food delivery. Company does not have their act together and are not reliable so don't waste your time

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thanks for taking the time to review Freshly, Edward. I am so sorry to hear that this has been your experience so far with our service! I can assure you, this situation is certainly unacceptable. I definitely want to try and make this right for you. I'll be reaching out in a private message here shortly. My sincerest apologies again, Edward, though I do look forward to connecting with you soon!
janer169
1/25/19

Friends just gifted me a week of Freshly meals when I came home from the hospital. Come to find out when I ordered the meals, I can't get them delivered for over a month and the all 12 come at once! This should be on their website. How can you pay for meals and then find out you can't get them for a month. I tried calling. They said sorry, but that is their system.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for reviewing Freshly, Jane. I'm so sorry for any confusion or inconvenience caused in receiving a Freshly gift card! It is outlined when purchasing a gift, as well as in our FAQ page, that the gifter will select the plan amount on behalf of the recipient. This means that they would choose which meal plan they'd like to gift (either 4, 6, 9 or 12-Meals), and would pay for the week of that selected plan.

In terms of the available delivery dates, I am sorry that there aren't more immediate options available! I'd be happy to double check the available dates for you, and I've reached out to you in a private message to assist with this. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

I look forward to connecting with you, Jane.
sharonl267
12/24/18

I recently subscribed to Freshly as a gift for my niece after she gave birth to twins. The first few deliveries were fine. She enjoyed the food and the convenience. And then, I started getting emails that there was an issue with their 3rd party delivery and if the food arrived after the scheduled date, to dispose of it as it wasn't safe to consume. That it happened once, ok, I understand things happen. But the same thing on the next delivery? Starts to sound like a bigger issue. I reached out to their online chat, and received basically canned responses and "a contact us later and we'll make it right." I'll make her some meals myself. I'm not willing to keep throwing money at a broke system hoping they'll eventually fix it. Even with a refund and a store credit, the intention of the service was lost.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you so much for reviewing Freshly, Sharon! I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with delivery, and for the dissatisfaction this has caused with our service!

Please know that we take delivery issues very seriously. Of course, we do everything we can to avoid these situations, though we're always sure to compensate when they arise. I know with the holidays, the carriers are experiencing an influx of packages which can lead to delays. Rest assured, we are actively working with our delivery partners to put measures in place to prevent any further delays from occurring in the future.

My sincerest apologies again! I have reached out to you via private message so that I may assist further. While I haven't heard back from you quite yet, I do hope you'll consider reaching back out and giving me the opportunity to make things right!
joep541
11/7/18

I had problems with my first shipment but they made it right. Wasnt exactly what I was looking for but a good choice for many. I'm a reallly picky eater but you should give it a try!

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you so much for your review, Joe! I truly appreciate you giving Freshly a try, and for sharing your feedback with us. We're always working to improve our meals and variety, so I do hope you may consider checking back with us again in the future!

Thank you again, Joe, and if there's ever any questions or concerns that I can assist with, please feel free to reach out!
lisaj296
10/8/18

I have had Freshly delivered for a few months, yesterday no delivery for the week. Site said it was on it's way (which means this is not accurate and they automatically populate it). Received email after 6:00 pm that the order MIGHT not show up. Mind you it is usually delivered by 6:00 pm. They clearly cannot keep up with business which means they will start cutting corners, not something you want in a food preparation company. If they cannot deliver they should not accept subscriptions. I have cancelled mine so maybe it will help someone else get there food as promised.
The other issue is that the expiration dates are usually 3 or 4 days after delivery (not good if you want for a week). They suggest freezing as a solution which is counter to the reason for using them. I looked past this but am done now. Don't trust the business.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for reviewing Freshly, Lisa. I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with your delivery. It's certainly never our intention to not have your meals arrive as scheduled!

Our carriers can deliver up until 9pm, and we know our customers heavily rely on us delivering on the day expected (of course!) which is why we want to alert you as soon as we become aware of a potential delay. I'm so sorry that we hadn't contacted you earlier, and please know that we are doing our best to put measures in place to avoid situations like this. While we are working to grow, we do understand the importance and severity of delivering to the customers who have supported us throughout our growth.

That being said, I would like to speak to your specific order, and investigate the delay further with our Delivery Specialist. I have reached out to you via private message here, as well as on Yelp, so I can assist further with this. While I haven't heard back from you quite yet, I do hope you'll consider reaching back out, so I can help make this right!

In addition, I did want to provide some information regarding our use-by dates, and I apologize for any trouble the shelf life has caused! Only because we cook the meals and ship them without using chemical/artificial preservatives, typically the use-by date is about 4-5 days from the ship date. You can certainly freeze them to make them last far longer, though, as you mentioned. In the future we are looking into alternative packaging methods, as well, that would extend the shelf life of the meals.

I'm so sorry again Lisa, and I hope to hear from you soon so I can assist further!
markt391
10/8/18

Stay away from these guys. I ordered my first order form them last week. It didn't show up yesterday like scheduled. They wouldn't refund my money or give me a full credit. They claim the meal was prepared a day late and that it would be fresh when it was delivered. Complete BS. How do I know it wasn't sitting around their warehouse an extra day? A complete joke. I cancelled my service.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for reviewing Freshly, Mark! I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with your delivery, and for the dissatisfaction this has caused with our service!

Please know that we take any and all delivery issues extremely seriously. It's certainly never our intention to not have your meals arrive as scheduled, and as we grow we're working to put better measures in place to avoid situations like this, and provide better communication when delays do occur. We did have a delay with our production and deliveries this week, which caused us to prepare new meals, a day later than expected, to ship out to you. These meals would have shipped a day later, but I can assure you that our meals are packaged specifically to be kept cold in transit for up to sixty hours (two full days, plus an additional twelve hours on your doorstep). I would definitely like to take a look at your account and order, though, and I do hope you'll consider allowing me to try and make this right.

I'm so sorry again, Mark!
bernardb60
10/7/18

I've found the meals to be very good, comprised of fresh and appropriate food choices. I find the disposal of the packaging cooling devises a bit involved and cumbersome.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for your review, Bernard, and I'm so glad to hear that you've been enjoying the meals and service! I do appreciate your feedback regarding our gel packs, as well, and will be sure to share this with our team. We always suggest emptying the contents of the gel pack into your regular trash, and then recycle the plastic bag! Some customers choose to re-use their ice packs, or even donate them to local organizations like Meals on Wheels, or Girl and Boy Scout Troops.

Thank you again for your feedback, Bernard, and if there's anything we can ever assist with, please don't hesitate to reach out!
evew16
10/5/18

I really enjoy having this option on my busy schedule for a balanced meal. The variety is a welcome choice for me when I don't have time to shop or cook. Thanks for this option!

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for reviewing Freshly, Eve! I'm so glad to hear that you've been enjoying the meals, and I hope you continue to do so!
bryanh172
10/5/18

Food arrives via FedEx, with ice keeping the foods cold, safe, and ready for the microwave. I have choose the 6 meal/week plan, which works for me

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for your review, Bryan! I'm so glad to hear that our service has been a great fit for you thus far, and that you've been enjoying the meals. We hope you continue to enjoy!
clarar37
10/4/18

Lots of natural scents like lilly and lavender or cucumber and white rain very nice and not at all strong

crystalh129
10/4/18

Convenient. Good customer service and I've liked most entrees I've received. Good value since I don't have to cook!

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for your review, Crystal! I appreciate your kind words regarding our entrees and customer service. I know our team will be delighted to hear your feedback!

Thank you again, and please feel free to reach out if there's anything we can ever assist with!
barbarar351
10/2/18

It is so great to finish a long work day and get home to a balanced meal that only needs to be heated up!

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for your review, Barbara! I'm so glad we could help bring some convenience to your busy life. I hope you continue to enjoy!
barbaraf204
10/2/18

I don't cook so it's nice to have a delicious real meal at home. Just a few minutes and a microwave are all I need.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thanks for reviewing Freshly, Barbara! I hope you continue to love the meals!
joeo74
10/1/18

I ordered Freshly to control my lunch budget for money and calories. Freshly has helped me do that. I have enjoyed all recipes I have gotten, the chicken is always clean well cooked and flavorful.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you for your review, Joe! I appreciate your kind words, and I'm thrilled to hear that we've been able to bring some convenience to your life, while keeping your lunch budget and calories on track. I hope you continue to love the meals!
marya830
10/1/18

We have enjoyed the meals, but wish to offer suggestions about the amount of vegetable served with the steak meal...more mashed potatoes please.

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thank you so much for your review and feedback, Mary! I appreciate your suggestions, and can certainly understand wanting more mashed potatoes in the Steak Peppercorn meal (they're so good!) I've let our chefs know, who will be able to look into this further.

Thank you again Mary, and I hope you have a wonderful day!
kathrynf52
10/1/18

We both work and are tired when we get home.
Freshly makes it easy to eat well with little effort.
My husband has lost 40 lbs since we started and he doesn't feel hungry or crave junk food !

Response from Megan M., Freshly Representative
Thanks for taking the time to review Freshly, Kathryn! I'm so glad to hear that you and your husband have been loving the meals, and that we've been able to help bring some necessary convenience to your busy lives. Congratulations to your husband on his success, and I hope you both continue to enjoy!

If there's ever anything we can assist with, please be sure to reach out. I would be more than happy to help!
50 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Lisa, It definitely depends on your body composition as well as what you might be eating and drinking outside of our meals. :) We've had customer experience significant weight loss, while others kind of just maintain. If you have a decent amount of weight to lose, and you stick to the high protein, high healthy fat, low carb, low sugar nutritional plan that our meals follow, you could easily lose 10-25 pounds in about 3-4 weeks. Again, it all depends! :)

By Jashana C.

They let you skip weeks in advance, and there is no obligation to order a specific week. Their website is excellent and very easy to use, and they even send emails to remind you to adjust or skip your order.

By Linda B.

Yes, they are just enough for one person. Some of the vegetarian options have a bit larger portion sizes, but even those are not enough for two people unless you added some other items to round out the meal.

By Linda B.

They have recently changed their FAQs around expiration dates and the official answer is now 3-5 days. However, I have been getting them for more than 6 weeks and almost every meal always has a week on it. The exceptions are for meals with chicken (typically 6 days) or fish (4-5)

By Linda B.

The ice packs were almost melted after 2-day shipping & sitting outside for 3-4 hours, but the 6 meals were still cold! I ate the first 6 meals within 3 days (lunch & dinner) & immediately reviewed each one on Freshly's website. I spread out the next 6 meals (delivered a week later) over 5 days, and finished meal #6 today from the last delivery - still cold & no problem with it. The 4th week's meals are due to be delivered tomorrow. I considered food that has been cooked already should stay good for 6 days. Hope this helps!

By Moms H.

Brittini is correct! :-)

By Jashana C.

That is correct! Just click the image on the website (freshly.com/on-the-menu) for the dishes you're interested in and that will pull up.

By Jashana C.

Herb is correct! Each meal is technically 1.5 servings! :-)

By Jashana C.

Of course! You're welcome to view our menu at www.freshly.com/menu for our current week's menu. If you're curious about nutritional information, you just need to click on the picture of the meal you're curious about! This will pull up a full nutritional breakdown and an ingredient list. We hope this helps! Thank you so much for reaching out to us!

By Megan M., Freshly Representative

Hi there, Thanks for your question! Our meats and seafood are free of antibiotics and artificial hormones and come from fishermen and ranchers who share our commitment to sustainable practices. Additionally, none of our suppliers support the use of any growth promoters, such as artificial hormones or any sub-therapeutic antibiotics. In terms of storing the meals, we recommend refrigerating the meals and enjoying them fresh! That being said, you can certainly freeze them to make them last far longer. You simply need to add a couple of minutes to the heating time and reheat from frozen, without thawing. We recommend confirming that the food is reheated to 165 degrees, the same as reheating from fresh! I hope this helps, and if any other questions come up, please don't hesitate to reach out!

By Megan M., Freshly Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Freshly staff and other customers.

Freshly?