Review of FirstTutors

Tel: +44845 224 8294
enquiries@firsttutors.com

lanao11
2/14/19

65 pounds for nothing! I purchased special offer 25 pounds, tutor arrived and requested another 40! inc 5 for travel! disgusting did not learn anything! avoid!!!!

jacks582
9/25/18

As a tutor I've used many sites to advertise my services so I can say honestly that FirstTutors is just a big scam. Their business model is manipulative, censoring communication between student and tutor until the student's paid £20 to the company for the privilege of finding out a phone number. Perhaps as a result of the fairly substantial initial cost I've never found business through FirstTutors. The site doesn't even really add value, any google searches return gumtree as the leading result, which operates under a much more ethical business model of charging a one-off fee from the tutor to host their ad.

In short, FirstTutors is unethical for students and pointless for tutors.

collettek3
9/20/18

I had been in correspondence with an A level tutor called for a week and we agreed today that he was able to come to my house every Tuesday to tutor my daughter for one hour at the rate of £25 ph. Once we had agreed this I bought his details from First Tutors for £19.99. Within a couple of hours of buying the tutors details, he emailed me saying that he would rather do a 2 hour session @ £25 per hour and if I wasn't willing to do a 2 hour session would I pay for his petrol money?!! I find this EXTREMLY unprofessional and have emailed him back to say "no" to both his suggestions. I then wrote to you to First Tutors explaining what had happened and asked for a refund of £19.99! First Tuturs were quick to respond saying that according to he Terms and Conditions I had to give the tutor feedback and await his feedback Becker a decision could be made on my refund! now I not only have to spend time corresponding with another tutor and having wasted time emailing back and forwards for a week, I now have to spend time trying to get my money refunded!!
I feel like I have been conned. Terrible experience with this company. Would never use them again.

lornam22
8/20/18

I totally agree with the last reviewer. Despite glowing references and having years of experience as a piano teacher, the only two applicants declined as they were unwilling to pay unless we'd met first.
It's a scam to expect payment just to buy' contact details. Bidvine don't expect any money unless the contract goes ahead which is much fairer. This company needs to try harder to be friendlier in bringing tutors and tutees together in a more comfortable way.
Therefore I think 2 stars is over-generous considering the time and preparation I applied in providing all the details for my profile when applicants, because of the regulations, are very wary regarding the monetary rules.

ij35
12/5/17

I feel that this company provides a service biased towards their student clients with no commitment towards their tutors. I feel that this company should publish reviews from ethical and truthful clients only.

I agreed a discounted price for 2HRS lessons. Only after the first class, the client asked me to provide them 3HRS of my time at the price of 2HRS as this is how it is done in HONGKONG (the client recently immigrated from HongKong). I suggested that it will cost them extra (as we only agreed a price for 2hrs class & not 3 hrs) and hence I got a review saying that I care more about the money than the welfare of the student!!!

I explained the situation to the customer services and requested them to remove the FALSE feedback provided by this client. The customer team said that they cannot remove the review as it is NOT A QUESTION OF WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG, but clients opinion and that they do not have a right to remove this opinion (eg it is not rude, racist or untrue). I was shocked as the staff FAILED to see this as an UNTRUE review! The client provided incomplete information (which was not untrue) and it was accepted by the company. I provide the company with complete information of the situation which proved that the clients' review was UNTRUE. For that reason I felt that the clients review should have been removed from my profile.

Further, the staff ignored the fact that this client made an attempt to obtain my contact details without purchasing it which is against the rules of the website. They ignored the fact that I gave a 50% discount on the introductory lesson and agreed for more discount on further lessons. They also ignored the fact that the students parents asked for tutoring GCSE maths but the student expressed his intensions of doing AS-level maths. The staff ignored the fact that the client did not make their intensions clear before the first class and try to enforce 3hrs of service at the price of 2hrs only after the first class. The staff ignored that fact that the student thoroughly enjoyed the lesson and said that NO ONE HAS TAUGHT HIM IN THIS WAY BEFORE. The student also mentioned that his PREVIOUS tutor gave him formulas and asked him to memorise them, which clearly shows that this is not the first time this client have made changes to their tutoring arrangements.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Tutor,

The private forum is available for both tutors and tutees to discuss tuition requirements. We don't permit passing contact details at this stage and any users who try to bypass the system are contacted by our moderators - who give advice on how the website works and how to proceed. Our system will automatically block contact details that are exchanged prior to payment so the student in question would have been contacted with advice on how to confirm you as their chosen tutor.

With regards to your concerns surrounding feedback, First Tutors allow all existing clients to leave feedback. These are users who you have accepted to teach by confirming them as your tutee. We strongly believe in maintaining the integrity of our feedback system and core to that is allowing students to express their real opinions of the working relationships formed through our service. As we don't manage the ongoing relationship once a match leaves our service, we are unable to judge what has happened - so it would be unfair to both tutors and our clients to allow these ratings to be removed. The best course of action is always to attempt to resolve any issue or misunderstanding as quickly and efficiently as possible.You can address a low rating by reaching out to your client and see if they'd be willing to help you better address the issue they reference in their feedback. Communicating like this may lead a client to edit their review and also help repair the relationship.

Our values include transparency and openness, so once a tutor has been reviewed by a client, we don’t remove their review. You can refer to our Terms & Conditions, ‘provisions that specifically apply to tutors’ clauses 4.6-4.9 for our full feedback policy. We do have further advice to offer all tutors in relation to our feedback policy and how to handle a negative rating and would be happy to discuss this with you in order to have this issue resolved.

jeremys86
1/12/17

Couldn't fault the service. Searched for a tutor, spoke with the one I liked the most, paid to receive their contact details. Customer service answered my questions promptly.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear your experience with First Tutors was a positive one. We wish you the best of luck with your tutor.

kallys
6/19/16

Cannot believe it! Was told via email a tutor was fully experienced in teaching A level maths - my daughter had to correct her a number of times for the incorrect answer! Disgusting - asked for my money back from first tutors but they refused.
Very disappointing.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Kally,
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment. When a client is not satisfied with the service a tutor provides, we ask that they leave feedback on the tutors profile to call them to account. This feedback is helpful as it makes other tutees aware of the problem and allows us to investigate the matter. When a client feels let down by the tutor, we will always offer a suitable alternative tutor at no further cost. I'm afraid I do not have access to your email address via Site Jabber so am unable to look into this further for you. Please feel free to click the CONTACT US button at the bottom of the webpage and a customer service team member will be able to assist.

Kind Regards ,
Customer Service.
mishs
2/26/16

Do these tutors actually exist?! Like other reviews on here, I paid my fee of £19.99, got tutors details and got in touch with her. Couldn't get the first meeting underway because she had an unexpected emergency to go away and deal with. Agreed to meet upon her return a few weeks later. This time it was cancelled due to change in personal circumstances. Tutor said she was ever so sorry and would have loved to have helped my son but didn't think it was fair to start and then have to stop suddenly due to the changes going on in her life. She sounded so lovely and genuine and I felt really sorry for her. Tried another tutor and couldn't get her on the phone - number not valid. A few emails later we arranged to meet. Surprise, surprise, she too had an unexpected family emergency and had to be away for a period of time. Couldn't expected me to wait and would understand if I sought another tutor.

Trying to get a refund from First Tutors and getting the run around. Have contacted my bank to raise a dispute and get refund for goods not received. AVOID!!!

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Mish,

We sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with First Tutors. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously and want to make the situation right. Please contact our customer service team at https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/contact-us.php and we'll begin working with you to find an acceptable solution as soon as possible. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologise for your experience.

gloriam28
12/22/15

I understand it might be a good reason for some to choose Firsttutor to find their tutors for it takes so much hassle and effort to register as a tutor there so for some this might mean the registered ones are good. But for this same reason I think Firsttutor failed to include me into this selection. I just had to give up for all the unnecessary hurdles set in the registration. Or maybe I am just not as good (?) But I am a native Mandarin speaker, with a master degree completed, and am currently a research student pursuing a PhD and I have a violin RM8.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Gloria,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We do appreciate that the checks required to register as a tutor are thorough. To comply with laws surrounding employment agencies, we are legally required to take out identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors before we can connect them with students. This provides extra security and offers peace of mind to parents and students alike.

If you are struggling to complete these checks and require extra assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team who are available seven days a week to assist with your enquiries.

marks304
11/28/15

Sick of your unprofessional people treatment.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Mark,

alicem28
5/27/15

Right, so I'm a cellist (played with BBC Symphony and Royal Philharmonic on four continents). First they suggest that I'd be happy to travel TWO hours each way in order to teach ONE cello pupil (hint to First Tutors: I did say I only teach from home!) Then they refuse to accept my passport scan, scanned as it was to their EMAIL rather than to their SITE. I mean, nobody appreciates security more than I do, but this is ludicrous!!!! What they're after is their own good, not the good of the tutors or of the pupils they tutor. Don't fall for these people, is my advice. Give them a miss altogether. As teachers, we need this grasping attitude like a hole in the head. I strongly don't recommend this site, from which I have resigned.

debbys1
1/4/15

Wouldn't even give it a star to start with. I registered about 3 months ago and it still hasn't finished yet, too much crap to deal with. Complicated. Save your time, find another one!

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Debby,
I am sorry to hear you feel this way. To comply with Laws surrounding Employment Agencies, we are required to conduct reference and identity checks on all of our registered tutors. I appreciate that this is a burden, but by including this additional layer of security parents feel more confident in using our site. If you need any help in completing your security checks please click the CONTACT US button at the bottom of the web page and a member of our customer service team will be able to help.

Kind Regards ,
Customer Service
annas85
12/22/14

Please avoid firsttutors. As an academic now working as a private tutor I can honestly say that I have never dealt with such a shoddy company. Absolutely appalling service and they treat tutors, many of us have PhDs, as though we are dirt. When I experienced a serious problem with a "student" they refused to assist. This company should be closed down, that is all I can recommend. Just avoid them.

Response from Sarah A., FirstTutors Representative
Dear Anna,

mickf5
10/28/14

There has been a significant improvemen since my early review of this company and I am pleased to say they respond much more efficiently to both the tutor and the client. I am happy to recommend them as a place for musicians and potential tutees.

karenm68
1/25/14

I found this a very user-friendly site. Having chosen 2 possible tutors I was able to ask them further questions before selecting one. The tutor I have chosen came for a free chat and showed proof of his qualifications and CRB check. We organised a suitable time and he turned up promptly the next day. He really seems to understand what my son needs and gets on very well with him. He has a really patient, calm approach. I am so glad I used this website and would recommend it to anyone looking for a tutor.

nicolasc21
10/17/13

Disgusting service! I, a tutor, made payment but the system failed to pick it up. No one assisted me or rectified the situation. When another student made contact, I was unable to contact them despite the fact I had paid. When I finally got hold of the administrator, my account was deactivated.

wynj
9/3/13

September 2013 - Tried to register with this company through their website. No success despite several attempts. Tried to phone. No number listed for the address given. Phoned their 'registered office'. Man there said this was only a marketing agency and their address must have got on to their customer's site by mistake. No, he had no contact details for First Tutors. Seems to be a pretty website with nothing behind it any more.

ch7973
9/2/13

After carefully selecting a tutor, paying the website fee, meeting the tutor and arranging a start date, tutor backed out and First Tutors will not refund my money. A waste of time!

stevej23
7/9/13

have made7 requests for tutors - one no response - next rejected by tutor no reason - next tutor accepted and I paid for release of contact details but has missed 3 appointments online "busy" "not well" "skype not working" !!! - next 3 rejected and lastly another tutor was accepted but again missed appointment with no reason -do the tutors exist ??

lynned
3/23/12

I have only used this to find a tutor for one child - so far - but will use it again. It is a straight forward service that they offer. They have the details of tutors available to view, you select those you think might fit your needs and they forward the message you want to send. Any reply back from the tutor comes back via first tutors as up to this point you have paid no fee. If from this initial exchange with the tutor, or tutors, if you think there is a chance the tutor will meet your needs you 'buy' their direct contact details and from then on it's up to you. As the tutor I selected was relatively inexpensive per hour the fee I paid was also relatively low ie £10 to 'get this introduction'. I think this is a great service. First tutors gave the service exactly as they said they would - they are an 'introduction' service - as I dare say, as with all such services, some will work out better than others. I have been delighted with the young man it put me in touch with who is doing a great job with my 16 year old son who is grappling with physics higher. Frankly 2 coffee's can cost £10! This has so far proved a small investment for a great result

davidl48
2/26/12

I have used First Tutors several times and find the service to be excellent. It's quick and easy to find a tutor near to home and if you do have a problem with a tutor they will offer another one free of charge as long as you leave feedback regarding the tutor that let you down. I would definitely recommend this service.

sallym7
8/23/11

Easy website to navigate, I just entered my postcode and subject and found a whole list of tutors that I could contact for free. After discussing my needs with all the tutors I chose one who lived quite close to me. I paid a intro fee for his contact details which I thought was very reasonable. I also received a good response from the customer service team when I asked them about leaving feedback on the tutor's profile. I was very happy with my tutor and would recommend First Tutors to everyone.

mandyh
8/16/11

First Tutors do not get my recommendation, after paying £14.99 to obtain a tutors contact details they only turned up once and failed to provide proof of their qualifications and CRB checks despite saying on the site these would be provided, First Tutors does not perform any checks on the tutors and the profiles are written by the tutors themselves and are not actually checked by First Tutors to ensure the information entered is correct. Ultimately First Tutors is a poor service if you are looking for a well educated reliable and honest tutor, I would advise you look at The Tutor Pages ( thetutorpages.com ) for tutors you can trust or some to the other reputable agencies.

nigelr
10/14/10

I paid £19.99 to obtain tutor's details, but tutor never responded. Waste of time and money. Has anyone ever obtained a refund from these people?

paulb8
4/8/10

The other day I found my son a local maths tutor through First Tutors (an online tutor matching service). I had no idea that there was so much choice in this area of the market! Schools should really inform parents of this kind of thing!

Like the comment below I also registered with several other sites too (tutors4me, UK Tutors and Tutor Hunt) but they had no really suitable tutors and no reliable feedback from real people to reassure me. Additionally there didn't seem to be any form of responsive customer support for the others (or even a company number / registered address for UK Tutors - be very careful here as they take payment), while First Tutors dealt with my (admittedly easy) question very quickly.

Everything on the First Tutors site was quick and polished, I ran a search, contacted 4 tutors, and within the day had found a suitable tutor and bought his details! Everything is going well and my son is enjoying his tuition (only had 2 lessons so far) and we are satisfied with his progress.

First Tutors is not free for parents, but the price scales depending on the price of your tutor (£4.99-£19.99, £14.99 for me) to keep it affordable for all, but it wasn't really clear how this was calculated (or at least I couldn't find it).

If you are looking for a private tutor anywhere in the UK this is the site to use!

Dear Keshia, We do not offer telephone support at present. If you use the contact form at the bottom of the website or email enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk, a customer service representative will get back to you promptly to help answer any questions you may have. We aim to reply to every enquiry between 9am-9pm within 60 minutes. Kind Regards, First Tutors

By Sarah A., Firsttutors.co.uk Representative

Dear Winifred, Thank you for your question. The average cost of tuition varies dependant on your location. All of our registered tutors set their own hourly rates and we offer a broad range of tutors offering various subjects at different levels. If you visit our home page and search your requirements, you will be shown a list of tutors in your local area - and the cost they are changing for an hourly rate. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team and we will be happy to assist you. Kind Regards, First Tutors

By Sarah A., Firsttutors.co.uk Representative

Dear Tom , Please contact customer support regarding your account suspension and we will be able to look into this matter for you. Kind Regards, First Tutors

By Sarah A., Firsttutors.co.uk Representative

Dear Halide You can contact as many tutors as you wish for free and discuss all tuition needs through our system via your member's area. Once / if you decide to go ahead with a tutor and they have accepted your request, you can purchase the tutor's contact details. One intro fee per tutor's contact details is required. When your chosen tutor accepts a purple 'Release' button will appear to the right of their name. You will need to click this button to go through the payment pages. Once payment has been received both parties will be sent the relevant contact information. If this option is not available you may need to prompt them to accept your request first. If you have any further problems regarding this, please contact customer support and we will be happy to help. Kind Regards, First Tutors

By Sarah A., Firsttutors.co.uk Representative

Questions? Get answers from the FirstTutors staff and other customers.

FirstTutors?