Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

38 reviews with 3 stars

linc21
2/26/19

I ordered some stickers for a friends birthday. I looked for a sticker seller with great reviews and I ordered the stickers. Shipping took longer than expected as apparently since I ordered on the weekend it wasn't marked as a real order till a week later when I messaged them about it. So after a week my package has finally just been shipped. It takes approximately three weeks to get at my house for two stickers. Nonetheless, my friend was very happy about her stickers as it was of her favorite bands. So even if the seller has great reviews there's always some problems.

tommyr35
2/6/19

It'd be a much better site if I wasn't charged selling/listing fees for items not sold/listed.

It's a decent merchant community...but the admins have to get a better grip on business practices before they become eBay/Listia/Craigslist...

sr269
10/18/18

Etsy is okay. I've had half good and half bad experiences. The shops are run by people who craft as a side business and they aren't very well trained on good customer service or their Etsy shop isn't their first priority. Some items ship right away and some sit there until the last day of the processing time. I have much better service on Ebay, but sometimes, the things I need for a jewelry business can only be found on Etsy or from China. Etsy is supposedly faster because I can find people who sell in the US, but again, they don't fill orders very fast and my few experiences contacting the shop owners to see if I could get my order processed resulted in nasty and defensive replies. Etsy should train their shop owners how to handle customers. I only shop there when I don't have any other options.

clarar37
9/25/18

I sold alot of homeade jewlery and scrubs and alot of people sent back great feedback. I also ordered natural lip balms from their. They lasted me a long time

breeg5
4/5/18

I'm thankful for Etsy...I've been a shop owner for 4 years. It is very expensive to keep your shop. I've had a good experiences in the beginning selling and buying. With buying from shops with a couple items no reviews don't do it they might shut down. My shop open 4 years... has the best customer service and lately I feel like the customers are scammers. What's up with that? Customers should realize that we are solo most the time and do almost everything from start from finish and have reasonable completive prices beating out the big guys.
You have to be a good sells person to bring in customers at Etsy because almost everything is a custom order.
I'm defiantly looking to away from Etsy to make more money as its not cutting it lately. My advise is start here and work on another website platform so you don't get stuck like I have been. I'm looking into shopify and bigcartel but then again they don't help you with the marketing part like etsy. I'm just grateful for the orders we do get, and hopefully one day can just have the etsy site as a side gig.
Thanks for reading! :)

richardc284
3/19/18

OK I have an Etsy store I make Pillows ,Its a Pillow store (..with me so far )
I make a maternity pillow its U shape that's all no reference to any other pillow ,like a name or Print, or what ever ..I get an email from etsy saying they removed my listing because of a copyright infringement WHAT !!!!!
ITS A PILLOW you can't copy write a pillow .unless lets say you had a pillow that look like a Disney product and so on ..This is a U shape Pillow ..there are thousands of U shape pillows ....So if you are going to put a store on etsy be careful don't spend a lot of money on it .. so don't make Lamps because someone will say they have a copyright on lamps ( I'm Being Funny ) I like to share this stuff I have several sites and it always amazes me the genius of the upstairs office and the rules they make and if you have an eBay store you will know what I mean ..thanks Richie C https://www.etsy.com/shop/pillowpillowandstuff

silviac30
12/29/17

Last time I bought somentthing on Etsy I didn't have any problems, but it was many months ago. I bought several items from different sellers and they always arrived on time and well packaged. I remember wwo items in particular because I loved them: the sellers have been very helpful and have personalized my order.
I hope that Etsy will become a better place to shop and sell.

honeyb10
11/27/17

I ordered four things,one was a skirt and the other three various hair accessoires.My skirt came and was really cute,even tough it was supposed to be green/blue and not green/pink.I'm still a bit regretful because I wanted a different skirt with an more stable and not so flexible material,but I fell in love with it anyway.I later on got two of the accesoires,and they were alright.But the last accessoire is still missing,and it's been two months.It should arrive in 1-2 weeks,but I yet need to get an answer from "deadlycherries".It's a bit sad on how I originally wanted to wear the antler headband for halloween,but It's already over.

loric102
7/21/17

Love it but sometimes it seems difficult to use the purchasing and selling portion. I wish there were more clear guidelines.

bryonm11
6/30/17

I've always done good on Etsy once I identified with a product that buyers wanted. I would average 2 to 5 sales a day. Maybe 100 to 150 views a day on average. Then they went public, started making changes. Next thing you know there are a bunch of the chinese sellers from ebay selling their garbage on etsy. They come in mass, they get preferential placement in search results. This has effected my ability to sell in the following ways. Now on average I get 20 views or less a day and it is getting worse with each passing day. As of now at 9 am on 6/30 I have 0 views on Etsy which is beyond unusual. A lot of these reviews are people that got suspended for one reason or another, this review is because they made changes that hurts small businesses in favor of low cost mass produced bull$#*! from a nation that pays no respect to Copyright laws. It's what happened to ebay but it's like Etsy got in a star ship and got to the bad part at warp speed. This is what is more than apparent. All companys turn to $#*! as soon as they go public because they are then using other peoples money so they have to show a return on every quarter no matter what. Start your own websites, don't waste money on facebook boosts because they only return vanity metrics, learn about SEO and exploit all other venues until they go public then abandon them because they'll turn to $#*! anyway. Don't get to upset at these companies, they're just chasing the money just like we are doing. I know I'm not selling to feel good about myself, I sell to make money like everyone else here.

elec26
5/22/17

Etsy is a visually appealing marketplace with a wide variety of products. I have had pleasant interactions with a variety of sellers (my personal experience is limited to fashion-oriented purchases) who were more than happy to answer my questions. The layout is efficient and the shipping time has been reasonable thus far, although Canada post has recently experienced delays that are out of sellers' control.

Artists deserve to charge enough to make a living off of their work but a good chunk of Etsy creations and *cough* resales are overpriced. However, the product quality has been consistent in my purchases and I would advise all buyers to check for sizing and reviews before buying.

baharehf
2/7/17

I ordered a little dress for my girl, paid AUD $60 ,I was happy if it was like what I saw on the photos on website, not soft material at all and there is no tag or anything attached to the dress about the details .

jimd106
5/31/16

I purchased a ring for my daughter that looked really cool online. When it arrived, it was a little lower quality than I had anticipated. My daughter still likes it, but not worth the money.

brydies1
5/18/16

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING ON ETSY WITHOUT PAYPAL!!!! They will cover your butt if you run into a bad seller! I have had some amazing experiences with fantastic sellers offering awesome products on this site, and have come across flat out thieves. Etsy's so-called customer service is a worthless joke. They literally offer nothing in the event of a non-received item but an automated mediation between buyer and seller. There are no actual customer service reps that answer emails, no phone number to call and speak with a human being, and no direct questions answered. Just a list of "common questions" for you to read from. As long as you pay with PayPal ( no, I don't work for them) they will refund your money promptly in the event you don't receive an order. I think Etsy has the potential to be a great site if they upped their customer service skills big time, and made it a priority to give a crap about the people buying from their site.

tonyaf11
3/9/16

I love buying and selling on etsy, but have a problem with my account and can not get a resolve. It's just been a game of waiting and guessing. Disappointed in their review system - it does not accurately portray a shops history - it only considers the past 12 months. very misleading and so disheartened by the lack of information they can give as to if an issue is currently being looked into.

jocet
3/1/16

First off it was so easy to use the site. My son's theme was a circus theme for his first birthday(this was the first time I used Etsy.com) so I looked up circus one year outfit and I found the cutest outfit ever. The instructions were easy to follow. The person who made it made sure I was taken care of. It didn't take long for me to receive the item tho I wasn't too worried since I ordered two months before his birthday. The product was made well. My son looked so cute in it. Kudos to the person who made it. Anyways the site is great. I love homemade stuff. So much creativity. Now I did order my son's two yr old shirt. Themed Mickey Mouse. From a totally different person. Totally different experience. I put the order in. Took a few days for the maker to see it(so I guess not everyone checks to see if they have any orders daily so keep that in mind) it did take a month for me to receive an email from the maker that it's being shipped. I was super excited. 9 days later nothing. So I contacted the maker and she replied back pretty quick that she will look into the tracking and find out what's going on. A few days later she contacted me back. She was super nice. Told me I definitely should have gotten it. She had talk to the post office supervisor. That she will make and ship another and ship it expedited. And message me the tracking info. That was a few days ago. Now the only down side that I hate after this experience is the tracking. You don't get any tracking info unless the maker contacts you with it themselves. So there's no way to track it once your items been shipped. Which sucks. So IDK if she's sent the other one out yet. Unless she message me the tracking info. So again I feel blind as to when I'm supposed to receive it. Hopefully by next week. We will see. Worse case scenario I will have to file a claim that I haven't received my item. Which BTW if you're having the problem that it said your item is shipped but uts been over a week. Always message the maker first. To work something out and to figure out what happened. If you hear no response for awhile then fine a claim. Unfortunately anyone can use any site to scam you. Just be careful. Read reviews first look at what they are being rated. And I don't like how the money gets taken out of my account right away. Before the maker even saw my order. I think that needs to change.

suzannea11
10/30/15

I find so many lovely things on Etsy. I am obsessed with scrolling through my homepage and adding all the new and interesting things to my love list. But it's like it purposely is against being user friendly. Certain features would be SO great to have. To be able to list your love list from lowest to highest price. To weed out certain words in your search. Basically all the tools that eBay has in it's advanced search. It's not complicated. Even my local library has a more sophisticated search function. Also, I just purchased a gift card for myself and later read that that for some reason it's against their policy. I have no idea why. My parents gave me their credit card and told me to purchase some Christmas gifts amounting to no more than $200. Getting a $200 gift card seemed like the best way to make use of the funds, since I wouldn't go over budget but I could get the full amount. I read other reviews that said the gift cards took 4-6 hours to be delivered; another person had her account disabled completely. Guess we'll see which it is for me.

matteab
8/28/15

When you do discover a legit artist, who creates their own wares and is ultimately professional in all their endeveaours, Etsy is truly an amazing craft marketplace. Topnotch service, hassle free sales & purchases, quick & efficient help from Etsy staff should transactions turn sour....

However Etsy lately has been inundated with mass-produced Chinese re-sellers, counterfeits, art thieves, copy-cats, and the cherry on top are the otherwise real artists who will fight tooth & nail to NOT issue you your entitled refund as per Etsy & Paypal's policies. They will drag it out for weeks to escape handing out refunds or replacements should an item not arrive, arrive damaged, or incomplete.

I have had a lot of Etsy sellers start off sweet and friendly, only to become quite hostile, once I have patiently waited for a missing order to arrive after eight weeks. or if it were not at all what I had purchased.

Etsians have sent me threats, looked up my prior buyer history with other sellers, accuse me of cutting up/damaging my own purchase to receive a petty refund, track me across the internet, and make threats against my own family members, all because I had opened a Paypal and Etsy dispute once refund negotiations had failed. Etsy staff did not take kindly to their illegal activities, suffice to say, but it is an ongoing, growing problem in the Etsy community.

Buyer beware: not all Etsians are calm, professional, and mature. Quite a number are juvenile, have meltdowns if you have any issue with your orders, and threaten you if you do not accept their refusal to send a refund despite their own store's policies, Paypal's, and Etsy's. Thankfully I have resolved these issues with the help of Etsy and Paypal stepping in to shake a fist at the Etsian for violating their ToS.

mainel
1/8/15

I only purchase from this website when I come across something I really want to buy, e.g. book merchandise (I'm a bookworm). I've had about three experiences with different sellers. The first 2 sellers were polite and helpful, and my items arrived as promised. The last seller I dealt with, was quite abrupt (he replied curtly and I felt annoyed with him) and I felt quite uneasy about making a purchase from him so I backed out of the deal as politely as I could.

Given the fact that this is a marketplace, I would say that not all sellers are bad. But there are plenty of scammers around too. You should be extremely careful about who you purchase from.

Tip for consumers: If you ever purchase from this website, please do research on the seller's credibility (although it's difficult to, because I'm not sure if the bad reviews get posted). Also, I saw a lot of items that were ridiculously overpriced (at least 4-5 times more expensive), so please make sure proper research is made, so you don't get ripped off. If you get scammed, chances are Etsy would be absolutely useless when you ask them for help. Plus, use PayPal.

jaimef7
1/7/15

I've mostly had good experiences with Etsy. However, I'd definitely be careful. I've had 2 semi-bad experiences. I always recommend reading their descriptions, to see it they sound knowledgeable, and check their credentials. I also check their reviews, & you might even want to e-mail former customers. Obviously, at website like Etsy, people making handmade crafts will vary in skill. Never trust a product that only has 1 photo of it, or a jeweler that can't identify the gemstones they used. Always communicate with the seller before buying their products, and ask them questions. That said, most of my dealings with Etsy have been good. Also, 1 of the 2 sellers that I was semi-disappointed with, they were happy to give me a refund. Sometimes products look better in the photo, sometimes they look better in person.

sammig
10/26/14

I believe Etsy isn't all that bad, like others are seemingly saying. I knew that what I ordered was not handmade but it was to beautiful to pass up. I bought a prom dress. Though I was under the impression it was going to be in sooner rather than later like the time management said, I talked to the seller. She was more than happy to help me get it on express shipping. Not all sellers are bad, guys.

lenab4
10/9/14

Etsy now has too many Chinese resellers. I was searching for a specific coat and found it. But later I saw exactly the same one for about the same price and same promo pictures at another Chinese small factory (that's how they like to call themselves). So I was already worried that it can be a scam. I was discussing it with one of my friends and she told me to check some online Chinese market. And I found there the same coat but 2 or even 3 times cheaper. So I wrote the etsy support and they only offered me to read the reviews of other clients and decide by myself. But nothing about closing down any of those shops reselling items from some big factory.
Also I noticed some knitting company from Uzbekistan or some other country from that area who was offering to knit the models from knitting magazines (mainly German). They used for promotion scans from those magazines...
And another thing that is so unfair to almost all milliners that there are many sellers making those fabric flowers accessories and never even mentioning that they use cheap flowers from a dollar store. And they want lots of money for their works. Ok, these items can look nice on the pictures but in real life they do look cheap.

Tip for consumers: I would offer to be careful with all these shops (not only Chinese) who have the way too many items for sale unless they are not marked as made to order as 1-2 persons can't produce quality things so fast. If you really want to buy Chinese items then try to google them on alternative site selling from China directly. You will be shocked about the prices there comparing to etsy!
Try to find as much info about the seller as possible.

tammys20
9/24/14

Etsy is okay but funny with what they will or won't allow to be sold. One shop was closed due to copyright issues while other shops sell the same items and are allowed to stay open. Not very fair. If they close one for the infraction then close them all.
They are good at getting money back if there is an issue but it's not all smooth sailing as you go through the process.

Tip for consumers: Ask questions and be sure of other reviews to make sure the store isn't having any issues before you buy.

janetc15
7/31/14

Oh dear. Please do not trust all sellers on Etsy. If you aren't sure what you are getting, don't purchase it. Too many buyers complain about what they got from those "mystery" purchases with a random shirt or sweater and don't end up liking them. I'll admit it's great to find nice handmade stuff and it's great for artisans. I appreciate handmade work and help supporting Etsy shops.

However, I encountered so many bad sellers, I was quite disappointed and didn't want to buy from this place again. You would charged $11.95 to have them ship a pair of pants that aren't even heavy denim. $12?! Not only that, but I got ripped off so many times, it was crazy.

I asked a seller to ship me a pair of high waist jeans with 1" cuffs. She sends me a pair with 0.5" inch cuffs and the cut-off area keeps showing which was NOT what I wanted. I requested another seller to sell me a vintage sweater that was black. When I received it, it was a dark navy blue and it was very scratchy!

Afterwards, I purchased a ring that says it was handmade but it was actually a mass produced product from Asia and it was only obvious after I saw 4 sellers selling the exact same item. Then, I purchased a cardigan and a vintage bag from a seller. When I received the item, the cardigan was not "soft" and comfortable as she said. It was very stiff and uncomfortable. The bag she shipped me was in great condition the first time I gently used it. The strap broke off on its own after storing it nicely!

A lot of sellers are always like "contact me with questions". When I did contact one of the sellers, she took FOREVER to reply and I felt like she was playing the bargaining chip while giving me an attitude at the same time. It's either that, or they think as a buyer, you're being annoying.

As another reviewer said, always double check and research the item you want to purchase. The ring I originally purchased that was NOT handmade, was $20 and $4 shipping. After a few months, other shops sold the same exact ring and charged only $9 per ring.

Etsy in theory is great, but I never made a sale there. I listed a ton of items and wasted a ton of money and sold NOTHING. The only positive thing about selling is that their fees are actually reasonable ($0.20 a listing, and 3.5% fee for items sold). Compared to eBay, this is a heaven.

As said earlier though, be careful of sellers. At the same time, be a reasonable buyer. I respected a lot of no-return policies from those bad purchased. Sadly, almost all the items were either donated, given away, resold or thrown out. Advice from experience: Don't be tempted to buy trash or get charged retail price for clothing that are three decades old. I wouldn't even buy crafting supplies here. I don't know where some sellers in their right mind charge $6+ to ship 3 oz of wool roving. Absolutely ridiculous.

dc63
6/16/14

I gave a 3 rating because I am not sure based on the reviews. I was looking for places that might be enjoyable to sell my handmade crafts or art, whatever they may be. After spending a year earning to buy my supplies and several months of learning more about my craft, getting supplies and spending several months creating, I must say I am beginning to think "why bother". After reading reviews on Artfire and Etsy and doing all that research as well, it seems to be a waste of my time. There are nothing but bickering reviews and disgruntled buyers and sellers, that may actually be the competition just slamming each other. At any rate, it is nothing but headache. It isn't very inspiring and seems like it is more trouble than it is worth as well as cutthroat people with which I may not want to associate or deal with. Discouraged before I even got started is my review.

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?