Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

73 reviews with 2 stars

raneea
1/3/19

I thought Etsy was great until I tried to create a seller account.

You're at the mercy of the seller for the products you order. Some are ethical and some are not. Most of my purchases have been pretty ethical. This is just like ebay but without the bidding. You're at the sheer mercy of the seller.

I tried to create my own Etsy account only to find I was stopped at the bank account information. No you can't just give them your debit card number. You have to give your entire bank account number router and all. I had a bad experience with this once else where and will never do it again. I've created a third bank account to form this business. Unless you have hordes of merchandise and give out dozens of it for free to boost your sales your sales struggle. The higher rating your business is the more apt you are going to show up in the first page of searches. I gave up on this dream in three months.

kh650
10/1/18

Lots of disreputable third party sellers now. Search engine is atrocious. It is difficult to log in to an Etsy in another country, which is ridiculous. Etsy is also letting sellers sell any items they want; many! are not hand made or even art.

tobyh27
9/22/18

I used to use Etsy to purchase items online. Lately however, I've encountered a number of rude sellers including one whom I had asked a question about something and got a rude reply. Later, when I posted my review and exposed her behavior, she sent me a nasty "conversation" because I didn't give her five stars, and didn't like my review She threatened and blocked me. I replied back but not in the way they liked (yes I was wrong and I apologized.) She then reported me to Etsy, who decided to close all my accounts but did not address the seller's behavior. They were only concerned that I had violated their policies, and even after saying yes and told them it wouldn't happen again, still chose to close all my accounts.

Turns out the seller has done this many times before with buyers who don't give her glowing reviews - shouts at them in CAPS, threatens and blocks them. Has done it for years and Etsy allows her to keep her account and act this way.

What a classy site with rude sellers and uncaring staff!

johnf744
8/21/18

I see an item and like it, it's reasonably priced, I check to see how much shipping it is and usually ranges from $10 to $40!!!!!! FOR SHIPPING!!!! That's insane. Either the vendors need to lower the original price for the item or there needs to be a base price for all shipping!!!

tinalouisel
8/14/18

Transaction fees, payment processing fees and listing fees... plus I received notification that transaction fees are being increased again to 5% making total seller fees 8.5% (plus listing fees) of your total price. And that's just the minimum. Etsy now has a tiered service plan for sellers who can buy up to receive additional services.

I'm a small business owner with high overhead and it's just not worth paying their cut, when I can use my website (3% payment processing built in) and social media avenues (which are free).

I closed my Etsy shop as soon as they notified me that they were raising their rates again. Not worth it as a seller in my opinion.

I'd have given a 1-star review save for my fantastic experience as a buyer. So... 2 stars!

tarrac
7/12/18

Before you start an account review everything very carefully. I knew they took a percentage of sales most do, but I didn't realize they charged you to list items. After browsing the site, it seemed more like small businesses and not a place for those of us who liked to do crafts and make a little bit of money. I was under the impression it was a great place to sell crafts for those of us who do it because we love it, and just want to make a little money, but after looking at the sellers, they seemed more like small arts and crafts stores.

valeriw3
6/5/18

#Eileen Mikolayunas
#SenecaPondCrafts
This Etsy Shop owner is an unfair seller. She misrepresented her product, then refused to do anything about my complaint. I will never purchase from her shop again, and I caution others. She is not at all concerned about customer relations. All she cares about is selling the next thing she puts on her site. Very RUDE person too.

shellis4
4/29/18

My fiance recently ordered a ring set that I had picked out from an Etsy shop called ""Zhedora." Over 2,900 (5) star reviews was the main reason I chose this particular Etsy shop. All their jewelry is claimed to be hand-made, which can take 3-4 weeks. On the day he was told the ring would ship out, he received an email stating my ring would not be ready for another 2-3 weeks because they were flying to Canada due to a death in the family. I understand things happen, but this was the day the ring was supposed to ship out, so why wasn't it ready yet? They offered a 10% discount for the ring, but would only apply the refund after the ring arrived. My fiance obliged rather than to cancel at that time. After over two months of waiting for my ring, I was so excited to finally put it on my finger. From a distance, it was beautiful, but on closer inspection there were very obvious flaws. The center stone was set crooked and a bit cloudy, and the ring was not stamped 18K, as they stated it would be. Within a day of wearing it, the center stone was so cloudy that I was embarrassed to show it off. Afraid of hurting my fiance's feelings, I didn't mention it, but was relieved when he noticed it. He then contacted the owner, who responded with, "did she get it wet?" Their page states, "All of our stones are incredibly tough and durable." Not to mention the fact that the care instructions say to wash them in warm soapy water. He argued back and forth at which point the owner wanted to call and explain their different stones and (at our cost) offer an upgraded stone for another $400.00. He then requested a refund,, which to our relief, they did not fight him on. I will give them credit for allowing us to return the ring, but I would NOT recommend buying jewelry from Zhedora.

taunac
4/25/18

What a waste of time. Will not be back for any reason! Shop owner lied about shipping twice! Took them 10 days to investigate the no show item, another 10 before I got my refund. Just don't do business with these people!

louf12
3/16/18

Etsy is a business, but it is not run like a business. It is run like a bunch of right out of high school girls sitting in an office sniping at their customers and basically offering no actual customer support - either because they don't know their jobs, or the policies suck. Good luck if you have a problem. I had to spend an entire morning sorting out one transaction through them. I have also noticed that everybody copies other people's designs. A really bad site if you are an artist with original ideas. I will be taking my business elsewhere, HAPPILY!

mayac18
2/2/18

Mailing to Germany from Etsy / JFJones was less than a happy experience. Im posting this as a heads up to anyone considering making a gift to someone in Europe review the process carefully. In summary, the recipient had to spend $60 in taxes, and took 2+ hours to fetch the item. (plus it took over a month to arrive, and if the recipient had not been home, the package would have shipped back to the US).
>I purchased a larger mobile on Nov 30, 2017. The item listing notes VAT included (where applicable). Shipping within the US was free, shipping to Germany not. After I made the purchase, the receipt includes an additional comment Additional duties and taxes may apply. (see link below). The receipt marked as gift.
> Received notification of shipment on Dec 12, 2017 as three day priority mail. A different note mentioned having it in a 6-10 days.
> The Tracking (USPS via Etsy) provided updates including Customs clearance processing complete on Dec 23 and showed the item as delivered (no details as to not delivered to the shipped to address on Dec 30, though the recipient had not received the item.
> On Jan 4 2018 the recipient received a letter from Customs that after 10 days they would be charged a holding fee and in total 14 days (from Dec 30) before it would be mailed back. There was no warning of the process in the tracker recipients could have been on a winter vacation and missed the time window.
> Customs officials stated that the package did not include the proper documentation to show this was a gift, therefore they had stopped delivery to demand a tax payment. Giving them after the fact the documentation I received from Etsy did not suffice. However, I think the cost ($225, and $42 shipping) was likely the determination for the tax of about 50 Eurp/
> Though the sales page notes VAT included (where applicable) if you dig into Etsy you find a disclaimer (plus post purchase the receipt I received included Additional duties and taxes may apply.). The link https://www.etsy.com/help/article/502 includes the following: When a package is shipped internationally, it may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and/or fees imposed by the destination country. These charges will typically be due once the shipped goods arrive at the country of destination. Please note that certain countries may require certain documentation before the items are sent. If the necessary information is not provided, this may result in delays in the order. Most sellers on Etsy are unable to predict which of these fees, if any, will be applied, and Etsy does not expect sellers to calculate or collect these fees or taxes. This information should be clarified in sellers' shop policies.
The item itself is lovely. Just note that it will come at a much higher price and hassle for the recipient.

christinam144
Christina M.
12/16/17

Hi! I attempted to create an account, but then received a message that you were unable to send a confirmation email to me and to call Etsy Support. Problem is, there is no way to contact Etsy support. Can someone please help me?

traceel
9/27/17

It seems about 30% of the time when I buy on Etsy the items don't ever arrive. I get charged and sometimes I get charged like $50.00 to ship very light items, but then they never come.
Etsy doesn't back you up like Amazon. They make you wait a week AFTER your item is late before they'll even open a case.

I ordered--most recently--sparkelers and rose satchels for my daughter's wedding next week. I'm out $600.00 on these 2 items--neither have arrived--and Etsy's policy is that I should wait until the wedding is over before they will even look in to it.

NO MORE ETSY for me. Amazon takes care of their buyers.

scotts287
9/6/17

In my option they use to be a good website to buy from but not anymore. They stared getting scammers on their site and that is bad for business.

tinat20
8/28/17

I was happy with Etsy for a very long time but it went downhill quickly. I sell mainly vintage/estate jewelry and had buyers complain that items took "TWO DAYS to arrive" (nobody offered or PAID for overnight). Many buyers don't read the details or only read them AFTER they have ordered and paid then want to cancel. Etsy blames the seller for this. I also had no problem with giving a refund AFTER IT GET THE ITEM BACK. Etsy will cave to buyers by giving the refund before or INSTEAD of the return - so out the money AND the item. You can only have 3 complaints in 18 months or you are suspended for a month. On number 4 you are closed down forever. I made some nice cash there while it lasted but I could only lose so many items and so much money before we had to part company. I would try it again though if I was able to enforce my terms but I cant afford to give items away free.

isaacm55
8/15/17

They deleted items off my shop and sent a snooty email that "you cant cleverly re package items to sell. You can only sell items you made, vintage items, or craft supplies"
Problem: Both items were kits I put together for processing wood and making a camp fire making them craft supplies.
One of the kits had diy tools that I made.
Now they're hipsters from Brooklyn so I don't expect them to know what camp gear is but atleast sit your jegging clad butt down at the computer and study what you're deleting before you alienate the community that is your business.

lindab269
6/24/17

I have used Esty to make purchases on occasion. I have always felt the company showed no interest in customer satisfaction but now they are involved in defrauding customers. CoyoteRainbow seller deals in healing stones. They are selling fake Moldivite stones that are very expensive $30 to $100 a piece. I contacted Esty about the fraud and have yet to hear from them a month later. I will be giving a review w/ Consumer Affairs next and so on. Esty has 700 plus reviews here and a rating of 2/5. I am grateful to Sitejabber and others for this venue.

betsylewm
6/22/17

Ordered product that said ships 1 - 3 days from LA and was in stock. Wrote note asking for it to ship ASAP as for pride weekend. Monday order. Thursday afternoon notice says shipped............................

jessicaj94
5/29/17

Great variety but shipping cost more then the actual items you should do free shipping over 35, again the shipping is absolutely outrageous

elizabeth
5/10/17

Years ago, Etsy was an excellent place to find truly handmade and unique goods. That is not the case now.

Search is dominated by cheap, reseller items. Before purchasing anything on Etsy, I always check Ebay and AliExpress; a lot of the time, the exact same items are listed on those sites for a fraction of the cost. Any truly unique items are buried under a sea of manufactured or trademark/copyright violating goods.

Further exacerbating this problem is the terrible search engine. Rampant mistagging means that search never pulls up the items you are actually looking for.

In addition, the seller quality has definitely gone down. Many either 1) Don't ship on time 2) Never ship at all 3)Ship sub-standard goods.

If you want to support small handmade goods, I'd look elsewhere. Shopping on Etsy is not at all what it used to be

victorg44
3/26/17

I'm trying to start a business. It doesn't let me. also i gave etsy my credit card number, 2 days later somebody from etsy hacked into my account!!!!!!!!1

christalb2
2/20/17

I ordered a knited hat and it was for a baby....I am a grown baby...my head would not fit in it....sorry maybe someothers are ok...CB

ajd15
2/7/17

I ordered a product through Etsy that was damaged in shipment, so I opened a dispute case and engaged with the seller to obtain a refund for the cost of repair. The seller finally sent me the refund but Etsy was no help, closing the case on me twice. The final straw was telling me that they would accept disputes about the product but not any shipping issues. This is a business that depends on shipping!

helenm123
12/21/16

It seems many have had negative experiences shopping on Etsy especially when buying large, high value, expensive items that are custom made. In particular, custom orders are difficult to negotiate fair prices and returns for when the quality or finished piece is unsatisfactory. This has been my experience, and I have shopped for spiritual or religious items on Etsy that claimed results far beyond what they were realistically capable of delivering. Often, when a product did not deliver on the typical results described, getting a refund from the seller or from Etsy turned out to be a complete joke. If you want to find handmade, custom products that are one-of-a-kind, I recommend shopping at your local farmers' market or visiting a craft fair in your area.

Tip for consumers: Avoid this site. Visit a craft fair, local artisans' guild, or a farmers' market.

victors55
11/22/16

If you buy from them do not expect any kind of gift box packaging.. They will tell you "did it state gift box'. Who sells earrings and puts them in a piece of bubble wrap. Never did I buy even a cheap pair of earrings and not come in some kind of packaging like a small box other than a piece of bubble wrap. Cheap Cheap Cheap !!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Beware

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?