Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

1,138 reviews with 5 stars

shirleym32
3/15/15

While Etsy has a bit less traffic than Ebay and Amazon it is a better place to sell. The fees are much lower and you are in charge of your business. On Etsy the sellers promote and support each other.

There are many categories of sellers but most of them are great people and sell great items. You can find the odd items that you can't find in other places. Great handmade items, lots of vintage collectible items and some wonderful artwork.

breannar2
3/3/15

I've had a shop on etsy for years now and have purchased from there for even longer. It has it's ups n downs.
If you just look at it as a platform to get your small biz running....a cheap starting place. It's wonderful. New sellers DO have a bit of a learning curve...got to learn photography, SEO, how to promote yourself but this is all things a new seller anywhere will have to learn.
Etsy started my company ( untamedrose.com ) out and gave me a chance to grow. For that I will always be thankful. BUT They are also really bad at all the "extra" stuffs they promise like "support" "getting hold of them" "education" So dont "rely" on them for such.

Lot of the reviews here really are about the wrong company........there are tons of great sellers/companies on etsy....and some really Blah ones to down right scams. Buyer beware as always check That companies reviews, read the listing, and ask Q's. A good seller will have no problem answering them. :)

sunnyf1
2/28/15

Every buyer I've bought from has beautiful packaging and my favorite items come from Etsy. If you are unsure about a seller, check their individual ratings and reviews. Otherwise, highly recommend. There are many reasons to support small businesses and buy vintage :)

Tip for consumers: Contact your buyer and check their reviews.

lindac81
2/12/15

i've bought hand turned crochet hooks....very happy!!!

michaell110
2/6/15

A fantastic market place for all hand-made fashion items, accessories, jewelry and more.

sues50
2/1/15

I have been a seller on this site for over a year now. I think it's a great community and I have nothing but good things to say as both a seller and as a buyer of Etsy products!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you are clear as to what you are buying. If the Seller does not have a clear photo of the item you wish to purchase ask for her/him to provide you with one. Also ask about the size of the item if the Seller has not disclosed this in her listing. You should also never pay more than what the actual shipping cost is to the Seller. Ask if you will be reimbursed for shipping overages if the shipping quote turns out to be less than expected.

kathyu1
1/3/15

Love love love Etsy.com

at399
12/20/14

I buy things there all the time,so far it has been good.Only once did I not have a good exchange with someone who took money and I never heard from him again.But it was only a small amount so I will chalk that one up to learning a lesson.But other wise good site.

Tip for consumers: Try it for yourself.Just be careful.

juliec35
12/3/14

I ordered 2 Christmas tutu's from Chacha Tutu and absolutely love them! My grand daughter looks so precious in them, I will for sure be ordering many more from them. If you have a little girl in your life check them out at chacha.tutu@yahoo.com or www.etsy.com/shop/chachatutu

katk7
10/22/14

I have all good things to say about this site... Everything I have purchased so far has been handmade, unique and great quality. Customer service has been excellent, communication thorough and professional.

However, I wish to point out that each order experience is reflected on the actual individual shop and seller within the Etsy site, not the site itself.

I find that if you make an honest review using criticism instead of just negativity your comment is likely to remain on the seller's profile and could possibly be addressed by the original seller to resolve the issue.

If you have greater issues with an order, you can make a complaint with the Etsy site to investigate the matter. Just look for the "Do you have a problem with your order?" link under your order history for more information.

paulinem7
10/15/14

I have just received my wonderful custom made mask of the queen of hearts from Once Upon A Freak. really nice site, very helpful staff and it arrived well wrapped and in perfect condition.

Thank you ONCE UPON A FREAK and thank you Etsy.

Pauline Manners. Suffolk . England.

Tip for consumers: If you want a great Fancy Dress Mask then Once Upon A Freak are great, not expensive and really good quality.

jenniferl63
10/8/14

I love etsy.com. I find things there that are unique, original, of high quality, and I have never had any trouble with any order nor the customer service. They are just awesome!!

Tip for consumers: If you are looking for something original and different, this is the place. You can get a gift credit for someone and they can get a one-of-a-kind gift for themselves.

lindaa33
9/7/14

I love Etsy. I have purchased quite a few items from the site and have always received my items swiftly and find them as described. Everyone has been polite. I will continue to purchase from them in the future.

sherrib7
8/27/14

Adorable outfit, prompt shipping

irmgarde
7/30/14

I am very satisfied with the stud earrings I bought from Lavanta Bay :)) Nice gemstones and
smooth finish.
Owner is very willing to answer to all your questions and needs!

kalir
7/16/14

I ordered two items from this website. The items arrived at my house 2 days after I ordered them. I had read some bad reviews before i purchased the items so i am really glad everything came out okay. Everything was in great condition and I am very happy with the results.

tamarap3
6/24/14

I have been selling on Etsy for just over a year. It is the first online place I started selling my art, and it was well received. I've had over 1000 sales, and I have had problems with maybe one or two buyers only (I think those two were angry at life, rather than my art), but other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

I've had a few issues along the way (a button/link not working properly, etc) and I was always able to get help, first immediately through a forum, and then second through a follow-up from staff which replied to my forum posts and gave me an email address.

Etsy has catapulted me into life as a Full Time Artist. I am really thankful for all the exposure, and the income I have made.

I have purchased some things from Etsy as well, and all my experiences have been great. I generally appreciate chatting with a seller a little before hand, or at least browsing through their shop and sales and reviews to get a feel for the type of energy they provide.

I know that not everyone has had great experiences, as evidence in this thread. Perhaps my experience is unique, in that it really has been 5 star. In any which way, I would encourage other artisans to try it, or something similar out, simply because you never know if you never try, and I didn't even know I was going to be a full time artist, and now here I am, working my dream job.

Etsy works when two people put in effort, both the buyer and the seller. Be kind to each other. Make purchases because they are things and practices you want to support, and items that bring you or someone else joy. Sell things that you love making. Compassionate business practice is, in my opinion, the best way to go about it.

All the best.
T

nikkih6
5/29/14

Love them! There's such a variety. Professional and fast delivery

jb95
5/29/14

I have been selling on Etsy for over a year now and have found it to be a great market place for selling handcrafted Items. As a seller Etsy is what you make of it, if you offer good customer service with a quality in demand product you will be successful.
As a buyer you must be smart about who you purchase from just like you do with any other market place. Check reviews, read policies and contact the seller with questions before your purchase and you'll probably have a good experience as well as a unique product not to be found anywhere else.

dorfamf
5/10/14

I use Etsy on a regular basis and I have never had any issue with the site or the service. I love all he variety available.

lisaw58
5/10/14

Love it, great products, awesome prices! Will definitely order again and recommend it!

lillianr12
4/29/14

I'm hooked on this site lately! Beautiful unique handmade items of all kinds! I always look there first before going anywhere else!

sydniec
4/16/14

The Etsy website has a very comprehensive cache of custom products available for purchase. I was able to find perfect custom invitations for my son's first birthday that will stand out from the rest, for sure! My transaction was completed easily and my order was sent to me the next day. I will definitely be shopping via Etsy.com again.

jasonm103
4/1/14

I love this site. Always buy things for my dorm and for gifts for family and friends. Everything is so unique.

nl10
3/28/14

This site is an independent shop on Etsy.com and sells vintage and antique hair accessories and jewelry.

I have made a number of purchases from this shop and been delighted with their service. The owner is highly professional and the merchandise is always accurately described. Not only that but the merchant is an academic writer and includes links to the many papers and books she has written on the subject of costume. Included too are contemporary pictures of many of the items being worn by Victorian and 1920s ladies.

The stock is very large and varied and of high quality. I have seen very unusual Indonesian head dresses and jewelry here which I have never seen elsewhere.

I once had a minor issue of an item I had ordered being unavailable. It was apparently missing in the warehouse. Rather than disappoint me and just leave it out of the package (it was a multiple order) the merchant offered me alternatives such as a substitute item of my choice at a generous 25% discount. Having a "wish" list I chose the discount and selected another item. The discount was applied directly to my Paypal account within 24 hours.

All the items were shipped promptly by a tracked international service and all but one arrived within 1-2 weeks. The delay was due to bad weather and the carrier and not the sellers fault. The service was always friendly and professional. As a frequent buyer I have several times been offered discount coupons which are much appreciated.

I would certainly recommend this site and its very knowledgeable owner

914 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?