Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

66 reviews with 4 stars

briannem1
10/21/15

If there is one thing that a lady's adornment is incomplete without its ornate, it is the bracelets. Bracelets enhance the look of the hands giving it a regal appeal. Brilliant designs and patterns of bracelet for women are available in online portals such as footsoles24
I shopped Personalized Infinity Bracelet from here, which is awesome. Hanging from the infinity is a sterling silver heart charm and Swarovski crystal birthstone in a silver plated frame. This bracelet is 6.5 inches with a 1 inch extender chain. It cost only $31 which makes it a perfect choice for every golden heart. Its a nice shopping experience here.

katiea12
9/1/15

I've bought multiple things from this site. It really depends on the seller. Everything ended up being quality but somethings took a really long time to arrive.Definitely research the seller before buying.

sallyg17
8/28/15

I love that I found this site. I use it a lot now for finding gifts that are homemade or just very unique. It's inspired me to maybe open my own little Etsy store. I wish the site was a little more user friendly - more search options and categories would be nice. There are just so many items to sift through.

melyj1
8/19/15

I've been using etsy for years. I've purchased hand made items, crystals, vintage jewelry. I've never had a problem with the sellers, and I've always received my items as promised. I've never had to use customer service. Over all I really like etsy.

giovannym
7/13/15

Ideal to buy handicrafts such as necklaces, earrings, bracelets handmade direct communication with the artisans, reasonable prices, distributed to several countries.
I bought and the quality of materials is good, I will continue buying from etsy.

tracyc43
4/6/15

I absolutely love how this website has such a huge variety of creative goods! I also love that it encourages people to not only become entrepreneurs if they've ever thought about trying it, but that it also encourages people to buy locally and support individual artists.

As someone who has a shop on Etsy (Atomik Cupcake Designs), I do find that Etsy can be somewhat costly when you're first starting up. It costs 20 cents per listing on Etsy, and they stay up for four months or until the item is purchased, at which point it can be renewed for the same price. The site also takes a small percentage of the profit from your item, so it's good to know all this and plan accordingly. However, it is a great website to get your product out there because Etsy is relatively popular, and there is real potential for success if you have the right products and a little elbow grease!

normal1
3/12/15

Etsy can be a very profitable site to sell on but beware as there are some serious pitfalls.

I would advise any seller to have a fall back plan as Etsy can be very unforgiving if you break one of their rules. They are very arbitrary in applying them as they will let off some shops (eg for reselling) but penalize others for just one non vintage item which mistakenly creeps in.

If you search Google you will see that Etsy has a very bad reputation for this.

Another negative is that their forums are run in a very unprofessional way by semi literate "hipsters" who can often misunderstand words and phrases used in other cultures. Then the writer gets banned from the forums for a period, or even premanently for the kinds of petty infringements which would not even be infringements on other forums. Moreover this means you cannot even post in the "bugs" section or on the Etsy blog - both of which can be a real disadvantage in running your business.

All these online sites have their petty spineless snitches but snitching is a fine art on Etsy. These creatures are given to much power and credence and often operate in groups to take down shops of sellers who are competitors. In some ways its like a cross between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.

Having said all this its possible to make good money on Etsy if you have a unique product on which you can make a good margin. Just dont get involved in the politics of the site.

The ratings I have given below are for Etsy as a site, since it is a platform for independent sellers.

Tip for consumers: My advice would be not to post in the forums or get too involved with other sellers. Just keep to the rules, keep your head down and run your own business.

paulag12
3/9/15

This is a great site to find just about anything and also very unique, handmade gifts. Even furniture. I like the rustic look, trunk tables, etc. And there are several "shop owners" that make anything you want. Sometimes the shipping is more than the product when it comes to furniture, but not always.

cindyb41
2/10/15

I've read some pretty terrible reviews for Etsy, but luckily I have not experienced any issues. Just ordered something for a friend and asked if it could be sent a few days before their est. shipping date. The seller was very sweet and I got my item WAY faster than expected. Love Etsy.

richylh
1/21/15

Etsy is hard to review overall as you are buying from individual people,so like anything you get some good,some bad and some in between. I did have 2 items that were never shipped and their shop was shut down. I filed a claim through paypal, was refunded the money. You can get some great stuff but you have to do your homework. Read the reviews,I don't buy from people with under 100 reviews unless I have previously bought things from them before,check their join dates,really look at the pictures,if there is only 1 I usually won't buy from them. Read the descriptions and the store policies. Overall I really enjoy Etsy and have found some great and unique things but you need to do your research to make sure you're buying from someone legit.

Tip for consumers: Always read reviews before buying!

jenniferd46
1/18/15

This website is hard to give a full review on seeing as its shipping from the stores themselves. But for me I have been lucky to get the good ones. My orders come within a timely matter and the whole process is just wonderful. I think that it is a grest website.

jonih4
11/19/14

I am a seller and buyer on Etsy, have been since 2008. I sell handmade (really) jewelry and also supplies. I have had one bad experience so far in all these years of buying supplies, gifts that are truly handmade. First I read reviews. Then I ALWAYS make sure they have been on the site for long enough to earn those good reviews. If I ever decided to buy from a mass-producer, I would expect to get exactly what I paid for. Maybe if more buyers would search for real handmade (shame on Etsy for allowing otherwise) then the mass-producer would disappear. They are cheap and that's what you will get....or not.

I've been reading through more Etsy reviews and frankly I am appalled. The claims that Etsy favor sellers over buyers. Not true. If you have a complaint and want your money back for item not received or not sent, you have recourse either through your cc or Paypal to get every dime back.

Many buyers are grouping ALL Etsy sellers as one store. That's not so. There are thousands of sellers on Etsy, much like an enormous mall with thousands of individual shops, each run by a different shop owner, some good, some very bad. So please stop saying etsy as a whole is a scamming website. It is not.

Tip for consumers: Check for handmade!

alexandrac6
10/20/14

Yes, this site can be aggravating, but overall I've had a pretty good experience. It is sometimes hard to get in touch with the seller and about 90% of the time the product is later than what the advertised shipping speed said but these items are pretty much all handmade...give them some time. I've also never had any problems with being ripped off or scammed.

mishele
8/10/14

great site!!! all products handmade or vintage!!! great prices! unique products! very friendly buyers from all over the world! custom orders! security system!!

stephanien3
4/21/14

I love the idea that this site is giving small businesses (mainly artists) a venue to sell their art. I had a very good experience with my first purchase (a magnet board) and would try it again. Although, I bet your experience would vary based on the artist that you purchase from.

jimmym43
4/15/14

I really like this site because I can get unique gifts for my wife. The site is pretty easy to use. I've never had an issue with any purchase I've made through them.

tammys14
4/2/14

I love some of the handmade crafts they have...they are great for different type of gift.

johnz24
2/16/14

Nice alternative from Ebay...I like the idea that it is not full of the Ebay fakes...Most sellers seem good.

se3236
1/4/14

I've been selling on Etsy for about 2 and a half years now, and I really have no complaints. Yeah, they recently changed their policies so they could ignore resellers, their forums are a bit draconian and their fees are kind of steep, but it's been a great experience for me. If YOU offer good customer service and follow their guidelines, Etsy will be kind to you. And if you're a shopper, just know that you are usually working with individuals, not corporations, so service will be different than what you're used to--perhaps slower, definitely more handmade. But if you work with the right people, you can get some great custom items. And they offer great shipping discounts! I love Etsy.

susand23
11/10/13

I have had mostly great purchases on this site. The format is user-friendly. The only drawback is that there is way too much on the site. A bit overwhelming.

jessicas39
9/18/13

I hear everyone disliking Etsy, but as a buyer I was fairly pleased. Shipping time varies and sometimes it's a little pricey, but that's what we pay for custom jobs. I have bought several things from several different people and I have been more than satisfied with each one. There was even one that caught an error of a tank top they made me before they even shipped it and just sent me both for no extra charge. It's really a matter of reading the reviews of the seller first rather than the website.

danielaj
7/25/13

I recently purchased some stickers for my baby's nursery through Etsy. The product was as described and arrived at the time promised. The website is cool and there is a wide variety of products. I only wished that the shipping was free, since I spent a lot of money on the product.

fatimaa4
7/22/13

Great website. Unique products. Definitely worthwhile!

paulaf2
7/12/13

So much better than Artfire. At least if you order from this site - you actually get the merchandise you pay for.

danaea
5/7/13

This is a hard one to review because shipping, pricing, items, are all the sellers doing, not the site.
So with that said, the site ETSY.COM itself is rather user friendly (until you get to paying). The shopping cart feature is nice to store stuff so you can keep shopping instead of doing 500 one-off purchases, you can come back and go through what you've added and remove what you don't need (or when your husband puts a limit to how many Doctor Who pillows or prints you need).
Four stars for the site because at checkout, if you are using paypal, it will not allow you to toggle between your payment menthods easily. It's an additional 10 steps which gets super annoying.

I wish they offered some type of etsy.com rewards program for buyers to get points or discounts, but they dont.

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?