Review of Dot & Bo

press@dotandbo.com

12 reviews with 2 stars

karlyk2
9/28/17

I got one of my products and like it, however I had an issue with shipping and customer service. When I ordered, it said it would take 15+ days to arrive. I'm in the process of moving, and put my new address thinking it would be delivered there in that time-frame. Instead, it was scheduled to arrive within 3 days of me ordering it. No big deal, I'll change the shipping address.

Except, no, you can't do that with the way they ship it. See since it comes from a seller, FedEx requires that the seller update the address. Again, seems like an easy fix, I'll just call them and have it changed.

But, no again, Dot & Bo (or Open Sky, depending on where you look), does not have a phone number, so you have to contact them via email. Their email ensures a response in 1-2 days. Not good for a time sensitive issue.

Long story short, I received one of my items only because they were able to hold it at a FedEx location and I had to go there to pick it up. I have no idea if I'll see my other package, because it was delivered to the new address and no one (not Dot and Bo, not FedEx, and not USPS, who were all involved) was able to help me. Changing a shipping address should not be this much hassle, especially when I started the process over a week ago.

douglaso4
9/20/16

Dot & Bo has a good-looking, functional website, and stylish items. I have a couple great rugs, but I've been really disappointed in my last two (relatively expensive) orders. I would return them, but the size of the items and the hassle to repack (and pay for shipping both ways) isn't worth it. I'm sadly done with Dot & Bo. My side table stools have big chunks of wood filler where the original wood was chipped, the lack of coating makes for very easy staining, and they're top heavy and tip over very easily. (Not great with a toddler in the house.) My wing chairs are IMPOSSIBLE to assemble: too-short screws don't reach their intended connectors (had to buy new ones at hardware store), dried wood glue is stuck to chair and visible, the wood was scuffed out of the box, the "leather" seat and backs are CHEAPLY made, and the styrofoam packaging disintegrates and gets everywhere during unpacking. They even packed the wrong size allen wrench for the hex screws. That's it for me.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Douglas,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback! We’re so sorry to hear that you’re disappointed with your recent orders.

We do see that you’re currently in communication with a member of our Customer Relationships team regarding this issue and hope that we’re able to resolve this for you as promptly as possible!

Warmly,
The Dot & Bo Team
reneem37
7/14/16

Dot&Bo has a less than user-friendly on line order tracking system. I've had to loop through again and again to finally get to a email form where I could actually submit my item number and explain my problem. It's been four weeks after the recorded shipment date on my account and I have yet to receive the item I ordered and paid for by credit card. Not feeling confident about my choice in using this company nor my opportunities in resolving this issue. At this point I would not be a repeat customer Nor would I ever refer this company to anyone else.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Renee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with your Horizontal Test Tube Vase.

Upon receiving your note, one of our Customer Relationship associates reached out to you directly and provided an updated ETA, along with a link to the tracking information. Our records now show that the item was delivered to you on July 16th.

We do hope that you'll accept the credit to our site as well, as a gesture of our apologies for this delay and that we can offer you a better experience in the future.

Kind regards,
betsya3
3/14/16

I have purchased a few items and was happy. However, I ordered two rugs that did not look like the photo and they were quite different from each other. They only offered me the return of the rugs. Upon delivery I knew they were Surya rugs that I used to sell. We always told customers of differences. There is no disclaimer in the description of these rugs.

sandyl44
3/1/16

I ordered a round coffee table and the cuts on the top that sets into the base of the table are very uneven and sloppy...not bad enough to send back, but bad enough to make me think twice about ordering again from this company.

jenniferp91
1/31/16

On December 14, 2015 I bought a chair for 540.00 plus shipping. This and other stores were having great sales. But I went with this store due to liking the teal color of the chair. On December 24 after most of the good Christmas sales were done they canceled my order. Dot and Bo then gave me a 30 dollar credit and told me about other chairs in a similar style different colors. The other chairs that I saw cost 999.00. When I requested that they honor the holiday price the company said that they were unable to do that.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Jennifer,

We want to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that arose from the delay in notifying you of the discontinuation of the Paddington Deux Lounge Set. We see that the order placed on 12/14 was canceled on December 24th, and we sent out a notification that afternoon. We're truly sorry that this item was discontinued by the designer.

Thank you for caring enough to share your thoughts with us. You have provided us with valuable insight, which is always appreciated. We hope you have a nice day and I’d like to thank you for your interest in Dot & Bo.

Kind Regards,
shellyf14
1/16/16

I placed an order for several different items on 11/15/15. Most of the items were to be Christmas gifts. Dates in December were listed in the confirmation email indicating tge items would becteceived early to mid December. Fine. As the dates came and went I contacted the company looking to resolve whatever was holding up delivery. As time passes and I checked status of my order I noticed that each time I looked online the delivery dates were either different or there was no estimated date at all - very odd. I was told that there was a problem with one item so I asked to have the rest of the order sent as they were presents. I was told they would look into it and get back to me which did not happen before Christmas. I then received an email indicating I'd gotten a credit from the company for a cancellation. After that, I was emailed that the item for which there were issues had been cancelled because it had been put in the system with incorrect pricing. My other items once again had delivery dates associated to them. I have still yet to receive any of my items and upon checking my order just now see that the delivery dates are again blank and the status is not yet shipped. This is the worst online ordering experience I have ever had and I will never order from Dot and Bo again. The folks I spoke with were nice, hence 2 stars.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Sharon,

We’re so sorry to hear this and want to assure you it’s the last possible expereince we want for our valued customers such as yourself. We apologize for this frustrating expereince and want to help. Have you reached out to service@dotandbo.com about this?

Our Customer relationship reps are available to better assist at service@dotandbo.com and 1 (800) 693-9937.

Very Best,

rogern18
11/1/15

I've been getting those BEAUTIFULLY crafted emails for a couple of years.
1) About a year ago, I ordered two sliver-trimmed cocktail glasses. Not terribly expensive, but costly enough. When they arrived, I didn't open the package for over two weeks, as I was on the road for work. The silver plate had overspray on the side of the glass. It was permanent, and not attractive. Really poor quality. I didn't bother to go to the trouble to return them. If I had, I would not have made mistake #2, a subsequent, BIG order.
2) In late August, I ordered the Sterling couch in black. It is a regular item in the inventory. It was allegedly on sale for half price. Actually, that is always the price, and they manipulate the In Stock inventory to ramp up demand. The Sterling couch is a thing of Mid-Century Modern beauty. It is stunning to look at.
Trouble was, it took me five weeks to get a look at it. Shipping was $200, which seemed high, compared to other internet vendors' 0-$100 fee for similar service.
When the couch arrived, it was a thing of beauty. Style to the max. However, it was not padded enough, anywhere, for any level of comfort. The seats were almost hard, and gave way after an hour of sitting. If I moved over, I'd find a comfy spot, until it settled in. So, move again after the first place regained its spring. The back of the couch had a horizontal top board that was so lacking padding that it caused pain and light bruising of my shoulder blades. SO beautiful, yet, so useless.
I took advantage of the 30 day return policy. Little did I know that the policy would take care of me. While I got a prompt Partial Refund, I was hit with a $200 return shipping fee. Almost unconscionable. Customer service was perfunctory and unmoved by my complaints on the costs. Of course, after the fourth email, they pointed to the return language buried deep in the bowels of the website.
The Partial Refund was all I was to get.
Be absolutely sure that a return will not be needed, or you WILL PAY.
I am 0 for 2 with Dot & Bo. I've unsubscribed from their beautiful emails. Life goes on.

UPDATE:
Given my penchant for persistence and petulance, I was awarded a $100 store credit at Dot & Bo. I'm inclined to use the credit, BUT, it specifically excludes shipping costs, so, if that $100-ish item is not satisfactory, I'm on the hook for shipping BOTH ways. I'll give it a try, because I'm nothing if not a good sport. But, believe that I will monitor and examine all the contingencies of this next transaction very closely. And, I will report.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Roger,

Thank you for taking the time share your constructive feedback and expereince. We sincerely apologize that the Sterling Couch was uncomfortable for you and for any misunderstandings in regards to our shipping policy.

We strive to be as transparent as possible about our shipping costs, in addition to providing the best product cost as possible. Rather than inflate your product price to include shipping, we separate those costs.

Larger pieces like a sofa have a surcharge on top of the regular shipping charge. Shipping surcharges are applied to furniture pieces that are heavy, large, or have angles that make them difficult to maneuver. Larger pieces are often heavier and take longer to move across the country, which means they cost more to ship.

You may see our base shipping charges by visiting our shipping page at the link here: http://www.dotandbo.com/shipping
We’ll be sure to submit the feedback that you found the shipping policy hard to find with the appropriate department. We appreciate your feedback as it’s invaluable as we strive to improve for our valued customers such as yourself.

Very best,

donnaf19
7/10/15

I called 4 times to find out when my shelves would be delivered. Each time the arrival date moved back and forth. Finally when I was told that I paid for FedEx delivery only to have my order arrive 30+ days after the order was placed, I was tired of waiting and canceled. The marketing scheme at Dot & Bo is to tell you they only have 2 or 3 units left and then take a month to ship after charging the highest shipping rates of any catalog company I've ever ordered from. I order online a lot and everyone but Dot & Bo seems to understand the importance of fast shipments...especially when a customer is being charged top dollar. I won't order from them again.

Tip for consumers: No bother - everyone else can get a delivery out the same week at the very latest. Why can't Dot & Bo?

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Donna,

We appreciate you taking the time to speak with our Supervisor of Customer Relationships and sharing your honest and constructive feedback.

We apologize for any confusion with our shipping times. The order was on track with it's originally time frame as detailed in your confirmation email. We aim to be as transparent as possible about our shipping times noting them on the product page, cart, confirmation email, and my orders page. With that being said, we understand they are not the quickest are working to improve on that.

We want to confirm your order has been cancelled and your refund is in process. you should see it reflected on your credit care records within 5-7 days (it sometimes takes the bank a few days to update).

If at anytime you wish to edit your review a reflect a better experience on a potential future order, the option is there.

We hope you can accept our most sincere apologies.

Very best,

Community Management at Dot & Bo
christil1
9/23/14

Shipping is tooooo slow, ordered salt abd pepper shakers the first of Sept. Computer says it shipped ship October 1. I can't believe a month for 2 little shakers....nuts

kena194
9/6/14

What's with having to sign in just to look at their products? Sorry, won't do business with any company that sets that type of requirement to just browse. Too bad because some of the advertised products looked interesting.

janetc15
7/21/14

Beware! I was just about to checkout a very expensive wall clothing hook (with the color balls on the ends) and a vintage-inspired trunk on this website until I did research and found out they actually buy from Etsy sellers and other wholesalers and jack the price up of the items more than 2-3x. The style and quality of the items were exactly the same. Only difference was I found mine for $45, and I almost got ripped off by Dot & Bo and buy it for $89. Along with their long shipping times, this website is not worth it at all. By the time the item is delivered to you, you're either going to be disappointed or disinterested. If you find something you like, make sure you research the item and put in similar keywords on Google, Etsy, etc. You will buy directly from the artist and save more than half.

[From the time this review was written:] Dot & Bo also asks you to enter your email in order to browse their website which is incredibly shady. It's almost like Zulily which also, offers average quality items, takes a while to ship, no returns, but good prices. Despite entering email and being spammed everyday with newsletters, Dot & Bo isn't offering any discounts. Don't get lured it by their "sales". They are NOT sales. They just simply send you emails showcasing several expensive items that look like they're good prices. There is no reason for them to ask for your email unless they offer great prices which they don't. Please do not be fooled! I honestly thought the website was really cute and I wanted to purchase from it, but it's a good thing I didn't. They curate and collect great items, but their resell prices are outrageous and to wait that long for such an expensive item is poor service (in my opinion).

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Janet, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us–we’re always looking to learn from customer’s insights so we take your comments very seriously. We work with artists and designers all over the world to bring you unique and beautiful products, and try to get the right price for the high quality pieces we offer but we’re happy to share your comment with our team for deeper consideration. We want you to know that we have a dedicated service team standing by if you ever have a specific case regarding pricing - we're happy to look at it and help you out. You can always reach us by email at service@dotandbo.com or 1-800-693-9937. Thanks again for your feedback!

Hi Simona, Thanks for reaching out! We've located your email case and informed our Customer Relationships team. We will have a member of this team reach out ASAP to work with you on this. Very best, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Jen! We understand that reading negative reviews may make you second guess ordering from us, but we have made several system improvements since last summer and work hard every day to make changes to ensure a more positive customer experience. We're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Suzan, Thanks for reaching out! Our Customer Relationships team is happy to look into this for you and can be reached directly here: www.dotandbo.com/contact Very best, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Mary, Thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to check in to your order! Please send a request through our online Help Center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help and one of our Customer Relationships agents will get back to you as soon as possible!

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Melissa, Thanks for reaching out! I'm very sorry about the confusion around our our shipping charges. Hopefully my explanation can clarify this for you. The surcharge is in addition to the base shipping charge. Shipping surcharges are applied to furniture pieces that are heavy, large, or have angles that make them difficult to maneuver. Larger pieces are often heavier and take longer to move across the country, which means they cost more to ship. For future reference, you can see that information under the header "Shipping Policy" on the item's product page. You may see our base shipping charges by visiting our shipping page at the link below. http://www.dotandbo.com/shipping Please note that these are U.S. shipping charges for the 48 contiguous states. Dot & Bo currently charges an additional fee for packages shipped to Hawaii and Alaska. We're happy to help you navigate your way through our site or answer any other questions you may have, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our online help center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Phil, Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the trouble with your daughter's refund! I see that Laura had responded to your e-mail and corrected the issue with the refund. Your daughter's full refund was processed back to her card on March 8th. We're happy to help you navigate your way through our site or answer any other questions you may have, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our online help center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Judy, Thanks for reaching out! We're happy to help. Shipping surcharges are applied to furniture pieces that are heavy, large, or have angles that make them difficult to maneuver. The surcharge is in addition to the base shipping charge. Larger pieces are often heavier and take longer to move across the country, which means they cost more to ship. We hope this information is helpful! Cheers, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

I called 800-693-9937, pressed 2 for "placing an order" and told the representative I had been trying unsuccessfully to "unsubscribe" to their website but was prevented by a pop up blocker screen. She did it for me immediately and I got an email confirmation within about 1 minute.

By kathy b.

Hi there, Thank you for reaching out. We are an online design shop headquartered in the heart of San Francisco. Thanks for your interest in Dot & Bo. Please feel free to contact us anytime for assistance or for inspiration at service@dotandbo.com! Kind Regards, Dot & Bo Community Management

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Dena! Thank you for taking the time out to share your concerns with us. If you'd like to provide us your order number at your earliest convenience, we're more than happy to check on the status of your order. In the meantime, we're happy to help share how our ordering system and shipping estimates work. When an order is placed online with us, payment is processed and your order is submitted. As we hand-pick special items from all over the world from different artists and designers, we coordinate shipping from a variety of locations. Each piece may ship separately and will have a unique shipping estimate (listed on the item's product page and in the order confirmation email). Once an item is ready to ship, you will receive a confirmation email and tracking number. You may also check on the status of your order at your My Account > My Orders page at any time. Some items may not show a shipping update until they're closer to their estimated shipping window, but rest assured, we are still working on your order. We hope this helps! Thanks for shopping with us at Dot & Bo and have a great rest of your day

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Dot & Bo staff and other customers.

16 Photos for Dot & Bo