Review of Dot & Bo

San Francisco, CA 94103, US
press@dotandbo.com

cl5662
9/4/14

I liked what I saw on the website. Decided to order a small item first from this company before ordering a larger more expensive item. Glad I did it that way. I waited a month for a print I ordered as a gift for a friend. After three weeks I contacted them about my order status. They basically blamed the delay on the fact that their business was growing so fast they could not keep up with demand. After the fourth week I cancelled the order. I love internet shopping but hate unreliable drop shippers. I have had better luck with Ebay than many companies like Dot & Bo.

andreas182
9/3/14

Bought a sofa from Dot & Bo and had a problem with shipping as I was not home to receive shipment. Their customer service was amazing and rerouted my order until I was home.

Just received the item and it's simply perfect!

Will do business with them again and highly recommend.

Tip for consumers: Email seems to get the quickest response from customer service.

briana54
9/3/14

Awful company! Should not even be in business. I ordered a small item ( I was planning on ordering furniture later on) and have gotten the run around on ship time for about 2 months. They blame everything on systems integration and rapid growth. The only growth I have seen from them has been in their horrible reviews. 25 BBB complaints in the past year.

jessec31
8/26/14

Been waiting 6 months for an order that was supposed to take 6 weeks. The rep behaves as though they don't need costumers. They have some fun stuff but don't fall in love, you'll get your heart broken

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Jesse! We're so sorry to hear that your piece was delayed. We're more than happy to help you out with your order if you still need assistance, please just let us know at service@dotandbo.com and we'll try and make this right for you. Thanks for posting and have a great rest of your day!
lupeh16
8/25/14

i bought a dining table,took 2 month to get it and came damaged,ive been sending emails and calling for the last 4 weeks and no answer yet.they got my money the day i purchased the table.be aware ,may b is a scam.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Lupe, We're so sorry that your table arrived damaged and we want to do everything possible to help get you a new one straight away. Please let us know if still need assistance and one of our Customer Experience associates will be more than happy to help you out!
amandal26
8/22/14

Carefully consider buying expensive itemsespecially furniture!
I received the Calcutta arm chair in last week of May 14. With shipping, the chair was just over $1,000. Although the chair was not very comfortable, it was beautiful and fit well in the room. I was happy to keep the chair. I went on vacation in early June for two weeks. In mid-July I noticed the fabric on the chair was torn in several places and the stitching where the saris are sewn together was coming undone in several places. I wrote an email to the company July 20. No response in three days so I called. The customer rep I spoke with was very nice and assured me the company would look into the issue. Over a week later I received an email apologizing for the delayed response (my email was lost). The email stated Dot & Bo would offer a $50 credit if I provided pictures of the damage. Fifty dollars is .05% the cost of the chair. I asked to speak with a manager. Two weeks went by without contact. I called and again, the representative I spoke with apologized saying she left a message on my phone and was unsure why I never received it. My contention is this: One THOUSAND dollars is a lot of money to pay for a chair. Yes, I called about the damage after the two week return policy (I had at this point owned the chair for about a month and a half). Considering the price of the chair I felt Dot&BO should do one of three things: 1. Replace the chair, 2. Provide a store credit, 3.Provide a refund. The representative said they had no way of knowing if myself (small children, animals, wild and crazy partieshad caused damage to the chair). She also said this chair was among their best-sellers and no one else has called to complain. Again, implying that the cause of damage was due to excessive use during its two month stay in my home: "We try to be clear about our returns policy, and when a product uses sensitive or reclaimed materials so you can be as informed as possible upon purchase what to expect from your item and how much use it can likely withstand I am sorry if the material was not able to sustain, but there is no way for us to determine the cause at this point." I have no animals in my house. I do have small children. However, I also have a house full of furniture ranging from 6-over a hundred years oldthree couches, several chairs, even a four year old all white sectional and none of the upholstery is in as bad of shape as this two month old chair. If other customers are not experiencing similar problems, perhaps my chair was somehow defective as the material is recycled sari fabric. My experiences and concerns as a customer should be valued and considered as individual and unique.
The rep asked me to send her pictures and promised she would look into the issue. Two weeks went by with no word. I sent an email inquiring about the status of my request and again, the company offered a fifty dollar credit stating this compensation was "very fair" since my complaint was "well outside" the return window.
Consumers! Learn from my experience. If you are going to spend a large chunk of your hard-earned change on a piece of furniturebuy from a company that stands behind the quality of the products they sell.
Although every time I actually spoke with a representative from Dot & Bo, they were polite and professional, the customer service was very poor in returning emails and phone calls in a timely manner. I will not shop at Dot & Bo again, not even to use the fifty dollar credit. You are almost sure to get better quality furniture and better customer service at Room and Board, Pottery Barn, West Elm even Target, or your local used furniture store than Dot& BO. Every time I look at my chair I see my wasted money. Oxfam, the local high poverty school I work at.all the things I could have done with this $1kif only I had known. Dot & Bo: such cute products. Such potential. Such a disappointment.

noahb23
8/13/14

I recently purchased a beautiful wooden console from dot and bo to replace our ugly old tv stand. The piece arrived on time, is very sturdy and looks great in our living room!

raffaelem
8/13/14

Horrible customer service. After they got the money just one delay after another. Now the sofa is damaged and not much they can do is the response i'm getting. Best part the person who had my issue "got promoted" so it sat there with no one working on it for 2 weeks. You should NOT order from this company.

Raffaele

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Raffaele, we're so sorry that you experienced such a delay in hearing back from us. We want to be sure to help you with your sofa if it's damaged so please write to us at service@dotandbo.com so someone from our Customer Experience team can help you out! Thanks for posting!
nicolec21
8/12/14

Dot and Bo's daily collections and products selected are high quality.The design and user experience of the site is engaging, and the e-mails are also beautifully curated. I can tell they are really trying to give consumers moments of joy with things such as their daily inspiration and their blog posts. It seems that they have had some shipping/product issues but they are a recent business, and I understand that all new businesses have growing pains. Looks like they are trying to tackle the problem head on, as they strive to continue to give the best customer experience -- everyone I have spoken to on the phone have always went above and beyond to try to help me when I had an issue.

hollyy
8/2/14

Dreadful! I ordered 3 Kantha throws June 13 and after contacting D and B numerous times, finally received them July 29 to find that instead of being "approximately 60" by 90"", they are 50" by 59" and totally useless for my purpose. A 31 inch discrepancy does not qualify as approximate any more than delivery in 7 weeks qualifies as 3-4 weeks. And the item, while still for sale on the site, is "not returnable." I will update if I have any luck returning, but I am kind of hesitant to return because I'm not sure I trust them to process my refund.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Holly, we're so sorry to hear that the order you received was not as described on the site. We will be happy to help you sort this out to ensure you're happy with your purchase - please email us at service@dotandbo.com so we can facilitate a return, thank you!
robinp33
8/1/14

Horrible Product and Arrogant Customer Service!!!

I purchased a shower curtain on line, which when it arrived looked extremely cheap. When I tried to return they said that certain items were not returnable, even though I had not even opened the package. They advised that it was stated in the fine print of their return policy, but I am now stuck with a HIDEOUS shower curtain that I cannot use.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Robin, we're sorry to hear you had a poor first experience ordering with us! Your satisfaction is our number one priority, and we’re committed to providing you with a delightful shopping experience. If you ever need information about our return policy, you can find it here: www.dotandbo.com/returns or contact us at service@dotandbo.com and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks so much for posting your feedback!
susand33
7/28/14

HORRIBLE. Ordered an item and after waiting 2 months I email them asking "when will I receive my item" and they finally reply saying "item no longer available". They said they would refund my credit card in 2-3 days and it has been 3 weeks and still no refund. I am currently going thru my credit card company, who is now trying to communicate with them. They get no answer. IT'S a SCAM. Don't order from them.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Susan, we truly apologize for the delay and for any frustration it's caused! We've been a little backed up sue to a systems transition, but we are working quickly to catch up and we look forward to assisting you with your order. You are welcome to contact us at 1-800-693-9937 or service@dotandbo.com and we're going to be sure to clear this up for you. Thank you again for your feedback!
kellyw35
7/27/14

Great prices for high quality furniture. I bought two paddington lounge chairs in February, received them in march and they have held up incredibly well. Shipping is on the longer side, but the website is very fun and the emails are gorgeous.

tomg57
7/26/14

I have to share my happy story - I ordered 3 really big items from Dot & Bo (a dresser, nightstand, and armchair) and when I had to change the delivery time because I was going to be gone they were AMAZING. The girl I spoke with got moving on it right away, and updated me the whole time. The pieces arrived when they said they would and are now in my brand new bedroom. Love Dot and Bo!

takushim1
7/24/14

They really sucks.
I bought a lamp, but there was not any notice after the day I supposed have it.
No reply for mail or voice message, after a week I finally got them on the phone then they says "oh sorry we didn't know we got mails from you."
Well I reached them and they say they will let me know, I thought it is finally coming. But it was NOT.
I got a mail that they canceled my order and will refund my money.
I have already saw somebody wrote the EXACT SAME thing happened to them.
They are not getting any better, what the waste of my time.
I'm definitely never coming back to shop with them, don't wanna even see.
Worst experience of my entire shopping.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Takushi, we're extremely sorry for any difficulty you've experienced in ordering with us. We hope that you have received your refund and if there is ever anything we can do to help you, please let us know by emailing service@dotandbo.com or by calling 1-800-693-9937. Thank you!
michelen7
7/24/14

Ordered a great looking table, they charged my card, and after hearing nothing for 3 weeks, I inquired and Dot & Bo informed me that my table was sold out. Still waiting for the refund....and now, I have to start the process over again.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Michele! We're so sorry if you've experienced difficulty getting your refund for your order. We want to make sure to help you out, so please email us at service@dotandbo.com if you haven't received your refund yet and we'll be sure to assist you. Thanks for posting!
ep388
7/23/14

I'm adding a review to this because I want to chime in on the other recent negative reviews. they haven't replied to multiple email queries, sent over the space of a week and a half, even with an auto-reply confirmation of "yes, this email was received" (yes, I checked my spam mailbox), never answer their phones or return messages. I have an overdue item and would very much like to get an estimated shipping date, or have the opportunity to cancel my order. this is beyond horrible customer service, and NOT a way to keep a business afloat.

please, save yourself aggravation and use another business.

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there EP, We're so sorry that you've experienced a delay in hearing back form our team! We've been a little backed up, but we want to make sure to get in touch with you to help you out with your order. We're here to help and looking forward to making this right for you. If you could email us at service@dotandbo.com again we'll be sure to help you immediately if we have not done so already. Thank you!
dani1714
7/22/14

SCAM! This place is the classic bate people with less expense stuff hoping they'll buy bigger furniture that never comes. I ordered a credenza on 5/16 with a expected ship time of 2-3 weeks. When I thought I was getting the shipping confirmation they send an email stating they would need another 6 weeks. Now 6 weeks later Dot & Bo is asking for another 6 weeks. Complete SCAM! DO NOT Order

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi Dan, we are very sorry for the delay and for all frustration it's caused while waiting for your credenza. We've been a little backed up due to a systems transition, but we are working quickly to catch up and we want you to know that rest assured, we will get you your piece! You are always welcome to contact us at 1-800-693-9937 or service@dotandbo.com and we can give you a status update. Thank you again for your feedback and we apologize for the delay in getting your piece!
janetc15
7/21/14

Beware! I was just about to checkout a very expensive wall clothing hook (with the color balls on the ends) and a vintage-inspired trunk on this website until I did research and found out they actually buy from Etsy sellers and other wholesalers and jack the price up of the items more than 2-3x. The style and quality of the items were exactly the same. Only difference was I found mine for $45, and I almost got ripped off by Dot & Bo and buy it for $89. Along with their long shipping times, this website is not worth it at all. By the time the item is delivered to you, you're either going to be disappointed or disinterested. If you find something you like, make sure you research the item and put in similar keywords on Google, Etsy, etc. You will buy directly from the artist and save more than half.

[From the time this review was written:] Dot & Bo also asks you to enter your email in order to browse their website which is incredibly shady. It's almost like Zulily which also, offers average quality items, takes a while to ship, no returns, but good prices. Despite entering email and being spammed everyday with newsletters, Dot & Bo isn't offering any discounts. Don't get lured it by their "sales". They are NOT sales. They just simply send you emails showcasing several expensive items that look like they're good prices. There is no reason for them to ask for your email unless they offer great prices which they don't. Please do not be fooled! I honestly thought the website was really cute and I wanted to purchase from it, but it's a good thing I didn't. They curate and collect great items, but their resell prices are outrageous and to wait that long for such an expensive item is poor service (in my opinion).

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Janet, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us–we’re always looking to learn from customer’s insights so we take your comments very seriously. We work with artists and designers all over the world to bring you unique and beautiful products, and try to get the right price for the high quality pieces we offer but we’re happy to share your comment with our team for deeper consideration. We want you to know that we have a dedicated service team standing by if you ever have a specific case regarding pricing - we're happy to look at it and help you out. You can always reach us by email at service@dotandbo.com or 1-800-693-9937. Thanks again for your feedback!
albal1
7/8/14

AWFUL! DON'T DO IT! All the merchandise looks great BUT it takes forever to receive it, and they have your money for months before they send the merchandise. THEN, you only have a 14 day return window, and they won't answer the phone or emails to give you a return authorization. THEN they will not refund shipping. THEN they will not refund at all because it's a "final sale". RIP-OFF, before ordering read the Dot and Bo Complaints. I'm filing with the atty general in order to get my $$ back. They resell merchandise from other venues and mark it up by about 300%. I ordered a $39 item that I later saw in the store for $7 !!! BUYER BEWARE!

Response from Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Hi there Alba, we truly apologize for the delay in hearing back from our team and for any frustration it caused during your experience ordering from us! We've been a little backed up this summer due to a systems transition, but we're quickly getting caught up and we thank you for your patience. If there's anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to let us know at service@dotandbo.com. Thank you again for your feedback!
nicolep17
4/29/14

I recently ordered bookends, a wall rack and photo/frame collage. I was very satisfied with the pricing and quality, but mostly, the shipping! Someone definitely took time to properly package the items and ensure they arrived to me in one piece. I love how eclectic each of the pieces are, and I look forward to ordering from Dot & Bo again soon.

mingh3
4/25/14

The selection is great. But the prices are not that cheap. Most of the item names have been changed to avoid price comparison at google search. Customers have to do a little bit research if they want to get the best values.

rheaw
4/13/14

What's most striking about Dot & Bo is their excellent taste in merchandise. I don't do a lot of shopping online, but they have a way of picking products that are quite unique. So far I've purchased a set of colorful Turkish towels and a mid-century modern wall clock, and I'm very happy with both. I wish they had an expedited shipping option, but then again I understand we're spoiled by amazon prime these days, and it can take a little longer to ship stuff when you source some of it directly from designers. Anyway, I'm happy with Dot & Bo so far and would recommend them to anyone looking for eclectic home decor at a good price.

erind14
4/12/14

Love love love Dot & Bo. They have really unique pieces and the prices are good too. I've been getting their emails for several months now, and finally pulled the trigger and bought some Buddha Bowls and a Paddington Lounge, and they're great. Both were shipped fairly quickly, and I appreciated the way their customer service rep kept me posted on expected ETAs. I look forward to shopping with Dot & Bo again and again.

sienac
3/6/14

Great customer service! Good prices and cute, useful stuff! Highly recommend!

Hi Simona, Thanks for reaching out! We've located your email case and informed our Customer Relationships team. We will have a member of this team reach out ASAP to work with you on this. Very best, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Jen! We understand that reading negative reviews may make you second guess ordering from us, but we have made several system improvements since last summer and work hard every day to make changes to ensure a more positive customer experience. We're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Suzan, Thanks for reaching out! Our Customer Relationships team is happy to look into this for you and can be reached directly here: www.dotandbo.com/contact Very best, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Mary, Thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to check in to your order! Please send a request through our online Help Center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help and one of our Customer Relationships agents will get back to you as soon as possible!

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Melissa, Thanks for reaching out! I'm very sorry about the confusion around our our shipping charges. Hopefully my explanation can clarify this for you. The surcharge is in addition to the base shipping charge. Shipping surcharges are applied to furniture pieces that are heavy, large, or have angles that make them difficult to maneuver. Larger pieces are often heavier and take longer to move across the country, which means they cost more to ship. For future reference, you can see that information under the header "Shipping Policy" on the item's product page. You may see our base shipping charges by visiting our shipping page at the link below. http://www.dotandbo.com/shipping Please note that these are U.S. shipping charges for the 48 contiguous states. Dot & Bo currently charges an additional fee for packages shipped to Hawaii and Alaska. We're happy to help you navigate your way through our site or answer any other questions you may have, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our online help center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Phil, Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the trouble with your daughter's refund! I see that Laura had responded to your e-mail and corrected the issue with the refund. Your daughter's full refund was processed back to her card on March 8th. We're happy to help you navigate your way through our site or answer any other questions you may have, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us through our online help center at: http://www.dotandbo.com/help

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Judy, Thanks for reaching out! We're happy to help. Shipping surcharges are applied to furniture pieces that are heavy, large, or have angles that make them difficult to maneuver. The surcharge is in addition to the base shipping charge. Larger pieces are often heavier and take longer to move across the country, which means they cost more to ship. We hope this information is helpful! Cheers, The Dot & Bo Team

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

I called 800-693-9937, pressed 2 for "placing an order" and told the representative I had been trying unsuccessfully to "unsubscribe" to their website but was prevented by a pop up blocker screen. She did it for me immediately and I got an email confirmation within about 1 minute.

By kathy b.

Hi there, Thank you for reaching out. We are an online design shop headquartered in the heart of San Francisco. Thanks for your interest in Dot & Bo. Please feel free to contact us anytime for assistance or for inspiration at service@dotandbo.com! Kind Regards, Dot & Bo Community Management

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative

Hi Dena! Thank you for taking the time out to share your concerns with us. If you'd like to provide us your order number at your earliest convenience, we're more than happy to check on the status of your order. In the meantime, we're happy to help share how our ordering system and shipping estimates work. When an order is placed online with us, payment is processed and your order is submitted. As we hand-pick special items from all over the world from different artists and designers, we coordinate shipping from a variety of locations. Each piece may ship separately and will have a unique shipping estimate (listed on the item's product page and in the order confirmation email). Once an item is ready to ship, you will receive a confirmation email and tracking number. You may also check on the status of your order at your My Account > My Orders page at any time. Some items may not show a shipping update until they're closer to their estimated shipping window, but rest assured, we are still working on your order. We hope this helps! Thanks for shopping with us at Dot & Bo and have a great rest of your day

By Service D., Dot & Bo Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Dot & Bo staff and other customers.

16 Photos for Dot & Bo