Review of BikesDirect

2017 Customer choice award

326 reviews with 5 stars

eddiem112
8/17/19

There was a couple of small clips missing on the frame that held the rear brake line to the frame tube guides. I wrote BD and got a response from Larry who shipped me a couple replacement clips within two days! I was very impressed! Thanks Larry! I have a Fantom 29er hard tail and put about 120 Miles on it in the trails so far and have no mechanical issues to report.

sonnyi1
8/14/19

I bought a New Fuji SL 3.2 and received my bike in no time. I had a problem with one of the tires and called and everyone involved was very helpful. Larry in the service department was amazing to work with!! Would definitely buy from Bikes direct again. Have nothing bad to say about this company at all. Great bike at a great price with great service! What more could you ask for?

dallasf15
8/10/19

I purchased a Windsor Wellington 2.0. Ordered on Saturday night and had it on Wed. morning, which was great. Beautiful bike packed to perfection, everything in great shape. I noticed my bike did not have the brakes advertised and this is where it becomes superior service. Larry, a Bikes Direct rep got my really not nice email and answered me in only about an hour and offered brakes I wanted which he did not have to do. He was so kind I felt bad. I can't say enough about Bikes Direct. They are the best! Got brakes in just a few days Priority Mail.

donm326
8/2/19

After reading other reviews on bikesdirect, I decided to make my first online purchase of a new bicycle. I chose the motobecane mirage. Bike was shipped within 5 days. Shipping box was received in good shape and had the bike together and test riding in less than 2 hours. Could hardly believe in the quality craftsmanship of this bike for the cost. Most bikes like this would cost over $200 more. After about 2 days of riding the bike I noticed that the front derailleur was not shifting properly. I took the bike to a bike shop to have them check the bike out and make any adjustments. The mechanic said that the front derailleur could be defective, after trying to adjust it to specifications. Had the derailleur replaced. Meanwhile I had contacted Larry of bikesdirect about the problem. Larry worked with me and I sent him the pictures of the defective derailleur and the new one on the bike. Bikesdirect refunded me for the new derailleur. The bike works great now and I couldn't be happier! :) Don M

marilync145
7/31/19

Reasonable prices, speedy shipping and quick response from customer care for your issues.. Thanks Larry .. Will recommend your site to friends!

seana92
7/15/19

Literally the most professional and expedient service. Even though I had an issue with the order, the way Larry handled it as well as others was remarkable.

Thanks Larry and BikesDirect!

mikeg693
7/12/19

I got my Motobecane Fantom 29 Comp and as I was assembling it, I discovered that the front brake lever was malfunctioning. I emailed customer service and Larry got back to me in a couple hours with a couple of solutions. He made sure I was taken care of and sent me a new brake lever.
It can be daunting to order a bike from a website, but when the service is this good there are no worries.

jimj252
7/10/19

I purchased a Gravity Monster Fat Bike in June 2019. Finally able to write about it now with 100+ miles rode. LOVE IT!...and Sooooooooo Happy that I didnt have to spend $1500 to get into a quality Fat Bike! I am 6ft.3 #225lbs and the 20inch fits great!
Did have an OOB problem with a poorly machined Stem that would not tighten down. BUT...this just gave the support team at Bikesdirect the opportunity to SHINE! Larry took great care of me by exceeding my expectations! He swapped me some useable bikewear instead of a new stem as I was gonna be changing the bars and stem anyway.....and that is my tip here!....Spend the $500, and plan to customize/upgrade various features to fit YOU!
I wanted a more upright body position so I spent like $50 on new stem, grips and bars with extender. I also took advice of previous posters and spent $15 on upgrade of the pedals that match my green color perfectly! Everything is working and riding great. I wont be doing anything serious on hills, but mainly gravel trails in local forests. I may upgrade to hyd. brakes in the future, but standard mech brakes work ok for me now.
I DO RECOMMEND that you find a good bike mechanic to do assembly! Yes, a layperson can slap it together, but, a trained mechanic will be able to review all requirements for lube, alignments, fit, etc....and get your new ride to 100%...WORTH the extra $ that you saved!!!

rasr
6/23/19

Bought a Motobecane Omni strada Trail Gx from this website and have only had 1 problem with the bicycle. I received a flat rear wheel due to the shipping service slamming the box on the ground. Larry was so polite and helped me by sending me a replacement rear wheel and also a prepaid shipping label (included) to return the damaged wheel. Larry was quick and responsive with his emails (5mins) or so to reply. Best service ever, very happy and satisfied.

joer401
6/13/19

After a lot of research and comparisons I decided to order the Gravity full suspension mountain bike. I was somewhat concerned in the beginning, buying the bike based on videos and pictures on line. The spec sheet on the website was perfect. I ordered the Bike Thursday Night, and it was delivered by FedEx Tuesday. Very easy assembly, and within a 1/2 hour I was riding. The next day I was on trails and the bike performed better than expected. I love the bike. Would recommend to bikesdirect to anyone.

rickiet4
6/9/19

2 bike enthusiasts of all types, I would like to show my appreciation to bikesdirect for a warranty issue I had, to a gentleman named Larry, who completely solved my issue in extremely fast Manner. Below is a email which I extended to bikesdirect this day June 7th 2019
Thanks again Larry are bikes direct looking for a prosperous years of riding with your awesome bikes.

To whom it may concern
On the warranty issue 4 our phantom we thank you from the bottom of our heart for all you have done for us, we appreciate your workmanship, your appreciation for downtime. And allowing myself to trust in something by faith as bike direct stands behind their products.

lawrencep58
5/31/19

Got my bike pretty quick (5 days) but the fork was damaged beyond usability in shipping by Fed EX. I was frankly jaded from other companies that sell goods at a discount and was expecting everything to turn into a hassle based on experience. Larry got back to my email in three hours (fast IMHO) and asked if I wanted a new bike or if a replacement fork was OK. I'm handy so I went for the fork. He got a new one sorted out the same day and sightly better cause my *exact* one wasn't available. I got the package today and found an engraved flask inside as well! I got the new one installed, tweaked and adjusted a few things and hit the trail, hard. My new friend took a New England woods beating in stride.

I'm sending my workout buddies your way to get bikes that can keep up with me in the woods now that I've upgraded.

Thanks Larry!

patricks401
5/27/19

The staff here care and won't try to rip you off, they give you the best bang for your buck and treat their customers well.

michaelg1190
5/14/19

Have bought 5 bikes from $400 to 1300, none were damaged, all assembly went pretty smooth. I'm no expert and did get a cyclocross bike serviced at a local bike shop where the kid working there was impressed to where he was pissing off his boss. You should really research what you want/need and spend a little more to get more value and a better bike

grzegorzs4
4/24/19

A great customer service is apparent not when things go smoothly but when there is an issue...
I got my bike quickly and putting it together was easy. I found a problem with one of the hydraulic brakes though. I wrote ONE email and I got it sorted out in few minutes! Larry responded to me in less then a minute and had a replacement parts on the way that afternoon. No hassles, no issues.
I will buy from BikesDirect again.
I highly recommend them.
Greg.

chrisv157
4/18/19

I have bought many bikes at dealers before. This was the first time buying a bike online.

I was a little hesitant at first but this turned out to be a great buying experience.

The bike arrived in 3 days and took very little assembly.

I did have an issue with the brakes. Turned out that the brakes installed on the bike where known to have issues(Guide R Stam) I did send an email to Larry from bikes direct and 4 days later I had a set of Shimano brakes on my doorstep.

Fantastic service. This was my first bikes direct bike but definetly not my last.

pierod3
4/14/19

absolutely rock bottom price for exact same components..Remember its apples to apples!

Tried to assembly myself got stuck..chain too long derailler is complicated. Pay the $100 to local bike shop and start riding!! Fast shipping ordered Saturday came Thursday. Texas to NJ.. Owner of bike shop asked price and said he could not get no where near that! He is A Giant shop.

ajt18
4/8/19

I received my new bike in a short time, although I was in no big hurry. After I assembled it I found a bent part so immediately reached out to BD. Larry got my new part and a little gift within two days. Very pleased, and love my new bike. Thanks BD

alg119
4/7/19

My bike was damaged in shipment. The fork was bent where the axle joins the fork.

Larry, the BikeDirect guy, that helped me with my problem was on the job. Larry sent me a new, but better fork.

Larry helped me and I appreciated it.

Thank you!

briane162
4/7/19

I have bought four bikes over the last 5 years. Three from bikes direct. Their prices are great and I have loved the bikes. On my most recent order I had a problem with a tire and Larry in customer service really helped me out. It was great customer service and I definitely recommend them for your cycling needs!

marshalla22
3/29/19

Had an issue with a bike (shipping company's fault)...Larry at bikesdirect sent me a replacement part (again, it wasn't really their responsibility) within a couple days, and was extremely fast following up with me on all my emails, I will always recommend bikesdirect.com after this experience.

debbied176
3/10/19

We purchased two bicycles and had them sent to our son and daughter-in-law as Christmas gifts. We ordered very close to Christmas and they still were able to make it there for the holiday in plenty of time. Our kids loved the bikes and reported to us that they were easy to assemble, well made, sturdy and fun to ride. There was a small issue with a tube from one of the tires. We emailed the company and Larry immediately responded, promising to send a replacement tube - which he did that very day. Larry followed up again and offered his help at any time in the future. I can't recall ever having such prompt and complete service. We are very grateful to Larry and will purchase from this extraordinary company in the future, for sure. Thank you, Larry and Bikes Direct. What a great American company!

thomasm749
2/26/19

I purchased a Gravity HD hard tail. The bike arrived in about a week and it went together fine. I did have a shifting issue and a new part was sent right away. The bike rides great and I have had a few nice complements on how great it looks.

nelsonk27
2/11/19

Bought 2 bikes - first was no issues at all, second had some speed bumps but bikesdirect.com came through.

I bought a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno about 10 years. I had absolutely no issues with that bike and I assembled it on my own. It was an amazing bike that I rode from the end of high school through college and graduate school. Unfortunately it was stolen so I needed a new bike this year.

I bought a Motobecane Gravel X2 two weeks ago. One came with a large dent on the frame. Larry offered a discount but I chose to return the bike under warranty. Second bike came with a bent fork end. Larry again came through and mailed a new fork and even helped reimburse the cost of installation at a local bike shop. Overall the process was frustrating at times but Larry from bikesdirect was always quick to respond, helpful, and resolved the problem. I would suggest them to have fork covers on all their bikes because it seems like a common source of damage in shipping based on many forums I read. I am very happy with my new bike and the value you get at this site is unparalleled.

willa38
2/6/19

I work at a bicycle shop in niagara falls NY. I needed a derailleur hanger and the bicycle company referred me to your department and website . Larry helped me out and was quick to let me know what hanger I needed . It arrived today and was the wrong piece . After emailing back to Larry he quickly realized he had sent the wrong hanger and told me that bikes direct was sending the correct one at no extra cost ! Thanks to Larry and the rest of the crew at bikes direct for helping . I will order more products just from the excellent customer service you have

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?