Review of BikesDirect

2017 Customer choice award

303 reviews with 5 stars

nelsonk27
2/11/19

Bought 2 bikes - first was no issues at all, second had some speed bumps but bikesdirect.com came through.

I bought a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno about 10 years. I had absolutely no issues with that bike and I assembled it on my own. It was an amazing bike that I rode from the end of high school through college and graduate school. Unfortunately it was stolen so I needed a new bike this year.

I bought a Motobecane Gravel X2 two weeks ago. One came with a large dent on the frame. Larry offered a discount but I chose to return the bike under warranty. Second bike came with a bent fork end. Larry again came through and mailed a new fork and even helped reimburse the cost of installation at a local bike shop. Overall the process was frustrating at times but Larry from bikesdirect was always quick to respond, helpful, and resolved the problem. I would suggest them to have fork covers on all their bikes because it seems like a common source of damage in shipping based on many forums I read. I am very happy with my new bike and the value you get at this site is unparalleled.

willa38
2/6/19

I work at a bicycle shop in niagara falls NY. I needed a derailleur hanger and the bicycle company referred me to your department and website . Larry helped me out and was quick to let me know what hanger I needed . It arrived today and was the wrong piece . After emailing back to Larry he quickly realized he had sent the wrong hanger and told me that bikes direct was sending the correct one at no extra cost ! Thanks to Larry and the rest of the crew at bikes direct for helping . I will order more products just from the excellent customer service you have

eddiet39
1/28/19

I ordered my bike from Bikes Direct and took it to the bike shop to have the wheels trued. The bike shop called me and said during their evaluation, they noticed the fork dropout was pinched and asked me to contact Bikes Direct to advise on a solution. I emailed Bikes Direct and within minutes I received a reply from a representative named Larry. Larry was very prompt, courteous and professional. He was very instrumental in helping to resolve my issue. My bike is now up and running and I'm very happy with my bike. This will not be the last bike I purchase from Bikes Direct. Thank you Larry at Bikes Direct for all your hard work! I'll be contacting you guys again when I'm ready to get another bike!

gregs352
12/27/18

I purchased a Fantom29 on sale for $299 for my son for xmas. Most excellent bang for buck. I assembled today with a set of allen keys and a wrench. I am not handy, and it still took less than an hour and everything works perfectly: gears change, brakes don't bind, etc.

I'm super impressed, good job!

Tip for consumers: Ask for Larry, he's super nice and respsonsive.

earlj17
12/3/18

We had a derailleur hanger that needed replaced on our bike we purchased from them but as the bike was in another state, and we somehow misplaced the paperwork, were having trouble identifying which one we needed. After calling into BikesDirect and having them quickly offer to email us copies of the paperwork, she also suggested emailing Larry who could quickly identify and show us where to get a replacement. Within 15 minutes we had our answer and one on it's way. Not only were we able to purchase a great bike at an incredible price, we were able to get great service after the fact. Definitely recommend using them!

roberth1058
11/30/18

Had an issue with a Chain stay protector. It was damaged in packing, and it's really nothing more than tape. I asked if they could just mail me a new one. It's not a part they can source, so they refunded me the cost of the part. I'll get it fixed on my own, but I'll be happy to. I hate FedEx, but that's a separate issue and while there were issues getting the bike to my house, I know it's because FedEx doesn't care about anything.

keiths236
11/19/18

Larry responded to my email and helped by sending a new fork. His response was fast and professional and the new fork arrived in a couple days. After having ridden it now for a few months I absolutely love it and have sent the link to friends interested in a new bike.

tomj287
10/18/18

Well developed website with good prices and variety of options. It is very informative and easy to manage. All purchases were satisfactory delivered and met my expectations.

edwardc225
10/17/18

I recently purchased a MOTOBECANE Le Champion Ti from BikesDirect. It is a fantastic bike. Great frame and great components. The customer support from LARRY has been fabulous. It is my third bike from BikesDirect and won't be my last.

zs22
9/21/18

Purchased a Motobecane Strada Ltd 1.0 from Bikes Direct in late July 2018. Bikes Direct customer service was very helpful answering my numerous questions before the purchase. Bike arrived within a week. Easily assembled. Rear derailleur shifted perfectly. Had to tweak the front derailleur a bit, but this was nothing out of the ordinary. As a bike owner we must know how to do these simple tweaks or we're running to the LBS all the time and wasting money. Already have 431 miles on my new bike and I really enjoy riding it.

I now look forward to going on a bike ride and getting exercise instead of worrying about a pinch flat due to a small rock or hairline crack in the road.

I highly recommend Bikes Direct.

jayc231
9/21/18

I purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect and one of the bikes came with a defective read brake caliper. I contacted the manufacturing company Tektro which manufactures the TRP line of brakes. Their customer service sucks. So I reached back out to Larry @ Bikesdirect and in 5 minutes I received a notification that a new caliper was on the way, and a prepaid label for a return of the defective part was shipped. I would buy from Bikesdirect again in a heartbeat, and I hope I never have to deal with Tektor again in my lifetime. Thanks Larry for the awesome customer service.

moyr
9/20/18

Ordered a cycling road bike a Motobecane Grand Premio. Paid over $700 dlls for the bike. Bike arrived within the time frame specified. As I was assembling my bike I could not get the front wheel on due to fork drop out being bent from drop damage. I so wanted to ride so i pryed the fork drop in slits enough to drop front wheel in, and i rode. as i rode and have been riding now just past my 400th mile it is in the back of my head that the drop in slits could crack due the dropping and the prying apart. So I contacted Larry and sent him pics of damage and low and behold, he sent me out new fork assembly. I could not be happier, Larry your truly what customer service is all about. I highly recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone looking to save but still get a great quality bike. In the future i will look to BikeDirect.com for any future bike purchases....thanks Larry

cindas5
9/10/18

We needed a frame part to a Bike Direct Bicycle and Larry was the hero of the hour. After explain what part I needed,and a very helpful Larry we got the part to make our and Bike Directs customer happy.
Thank you.

zacharyb68
8/31/18

I misplaced a part for a bike I previously purchased from bikesdirect and was not sure how I was going to replace it. I sent an email and Larry from bikesdirect immediately let me know the name of the part and had a new one shipped to me extremely quickly. When it arrived a couple days later there was even a complimentary gift included. Thanks again Larry!

chadb112
8/23/18

I have been enjoying my 07' giant raineer hardtail as my only bike since new and its still in great shape. But as i approach 50 years in age, i jeed more smootheness in my moves. Bike suspension that is. I fell in love with a fuji reveal for a special price of 900 bucks and in no time it was on my doorstep. Very quick shipping! I was dissapointed about the lack of i nstructions to help with assembly, as the bracket for the front disc brake was very complicated and not easy to figure out. Im no pro biker, but not a du. My either, doing nearly all of my home repairs and auto as well, so i am a handy guy with knowledge of my tools. This just stumped me and when i went online for web help it was a complicated mess to try to find any guideance. This is my biggest complaint. I gave 5 star feedback, cause its worth it. Defin ately . I tried to call but no luck and emailed twice with no luck, not until a third time. Kinda weird but im doing it now, a few months later. The bike needs a deraileur adjust from the factory and also the rear brakes lever is mushy and soft so a bike shop needs to do some work. I just wish it was ride ready and didnt need this done. A local bime shop quoted near 100 bucks, possib le around 70.00 for this to be done. Just a bummer to pay more thats all. I live on the edge of the owhhee mountains and desert, so terrain is rough, first insallin g new puncture proof tubes with heavy liners and slime. Its the only way here. I have a good practice track to work out on and cant wait to get it to the big moun twins 3 hours away.i recommend this site for your bike purchase, and they helped eventually. Shipping was fast, promptly and it required a signiture so i knew the bike would kot be left on the porch unattended. The prices are great, so this has earned them a 5 str feedback, as i definately feel that is what i recieved! Chad from idaho

donaldm242
8/23/18

This bike was the second bought from bikesdirect.com Since they are continually tearing up the streets which is hard on my lighter bikes. This Gravity fat bike just rolls over potholes and such. The only changes to this bike made were cables, front and rear derailure, 9 speed grip shifter and recon cassette, hydraulic brakes, handle bars and stem, seat post and seat, and the best one Veerubber 3.5 speedster tires. Also DT Swiss comp spokes and brass nipples. Adapting my single wheel trailer was a little work. This is now an excellent town bike and grocery getter

dans449
8/1/18

Just got my bike. The team at BikesDirect was great, responsive. I initially worked with Chris, then Larry. They handle my support issue within a few hours. Great company, would use again.

jacka159
8/1/18

Bought my Motobecane last Nov and even though I have been upgrading (SPD pedals, Carbon Handelbar, dropper) it is a fabulous value and Bike. Now for their service. Larry is the man. He knows exactly what I need when I contact their Service dept. Knowledgeable, courteous and very fast response. Service is the key to a strong reputable company and Larry is a prime example of that.

benh183
7/25/18

Love my Lurch fat bike, wanted to get some different end caps to run a carbon fork. Emailed bikesdirect and Larry took care of it with great communication and quick service. Zero complaints on my bikesdirect experience!

charliet37
7/22/18

We had a great experience with BikesDirect. We bought two Windsor Tourists and used them to cycle down the Pacific coast. They were very reasonably priced, pretty easy to assemble and came super fast. The bikes have been very reliable and have made it the whole trip without any issues relevant to their construction.
With regards to an accidental over payment issue they were very understanding in their response and refunded the money without hassle. I would use them again.

michaela583
7/5/18

- optimized selection of components to deliver a solid cost effective bike.

- responsive helpful staff helped me before i purchased and afterwards.

willc89
7/3/18

Just purchased a night train fat bike. This would be my 5th bike through bikes direct. Never had a bad experience, bikes direct has always supported the before and after sale experience. Bikes are easy to assemble and need little tuning to ride out of the box. I had spoken to Larry via email, and took care of my request instantly.

I feel as though I may be buying more bikes in the future.

Always great to do business with!

jonathanm219
6/23/18

I've received two bikes now from BD and both experiences were great. The Gravity Avenue FXD is an excellent bike that has performed beyond expectations thus far. Putting the bike together was incredibly easy. The customer service staff was highly responsive and I had both bikes within the same week of purchase with email and tracking in my inbox same day. The CS manager even offered a discount for my replacement bike after the first was stolen in the city. They made me more comfortable in a situation that was very upsetting. I will not purchase future bikes any other way from now on and highly recommend using BikesDirect.com

brianl287
6/17/18

Ordered this bike after reading about it. Received email with tracking number the next day. Bike arrived the following day. Unboxed and assembled pretty easily after watching a few videos on youtube. Took for test ride and it is super smooth. I am 5'10 and ordered a 15.5 inch and it fits perfectly. I am going to order another bike from this site for my wife. I would definitely recommend this site to anyone looking for a good bike / good price.

christ325
6/15/18

I have bought three bicycles from bikes direct and have been very pleased with the quality and value for the absolute lowest prices. I had an issue with a damaged fork dropout upon shipping and was immediately refunded the cost of the part. I had an issue with the back wheel with the same bike and Larry totally hooked me up with not one but two brand new vuelta pro rims which arrived in the mail 2-3 days after I emailed him. Outstanding! Thanks guys, Im sure I will be buying bikes from you for the rest of my life!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?