Review of BikesDirect

2017 Customer choice award

17 reviews with 2 stars

fredw137
1/17/19

I purchased two identical HD Gravity bikes. They came with lower end 2.1 tires. We have a bunch of sand on our trails here in Florida so I upgraded the tires to 2.3 WTB Breakouts. This is the biggest tire that can be placed on that frame. One bike is great with this tire. It performs very well. Fun to ride with the extra grip. The other bike has a bad tire rub on the back. The tire can't be centered on the frame. I remounted the 2.1 and noticed it is not centered either. I never noticed right out of the box because it never rubbed. Customer service was no help. So, long story short, my experience was 50 % good and 50% bad. Now I have one bike I really like and one I don't. They are for my wife and I so I make sure she has the one with the most grip.

davidt610
9/19/18

Ok so bikesdirect make such a big to do about 60% off and a "bazzilion" super satisfied customers. A couple months ago I purchased 2 bike at Costco, Northrock XC00, 7 speed fat tire bikes. LOVE this bike, $300.00 a piece, all Shimano components, disc brakes, excellent bike, very solid, super smooth riding, But the bike was a bit tall for my wife the center bar/inseam was just a pinch too high so I returned 1 bike. This began a month long search all over the Bay Area California we finally found a very nice bike at bikesdirect a Motobecane Natasha fat tire all Shimano components $800.00 not too bad a price. The bike took weeks to get here and i was anxious but ok with the timing, tracking info was included Fedx had some issues but that's a whole different story. The box arrived damaged obviously that's concerning. Turns out the derailer is badly bent and of coures there's a disclaimer that states the derailer is not covered! And no kickstand, Bikesdirect customer service sucks! But much more than that I'm just very upset with myself for not doing a better job of shopping. And I do believe that customer service in part of the purchase. Lastly my Northrock XC00 Costco bike is definitely the better bike! And Costco always offers excellent customer service! Just Sayin.

allanj31
9/11/18

Purchased a mountain bike from them a couple weeks ago. It's actually the 2nd bike I've purchased from them in the past 5yrs. First time around no issues, so I ordered this most recent bike. First ride, flat tire. Not BD's fault. Pulled tire to replace tube and found rim tape not installed properly. Fixed that, installed tube, went for a ride and didn't get five feet before tube blew. I should've been more thorough the first time around. Turns out there was a bit of machining slag in one of the holes for the spokes. Again not their fault, but two flats so quickly pushed me to deciding to go tubeless, the bike came equipped with tubeless capable rims. I purchased the tires/tape/sealant/valve stems and converted the front wheel. Worked great, no leaks. Next I attempted the rear wheel and it's leaking from the rim joint to the point it won't hold pressure. Multiple emails back and forth and BD's suggestion of bandaid fixes and then wanting to send additional pictures and videos and I'm no closer to a resolution. I've tried their solutions, didn't work. I've already spent too much time and money on a simple problem. I've told them I just want to either have the wheel replaced or just return the bike....it's not worth the frustration, but they just want me to send more pictures and video. Not sure how this will end up, but from my experience I suggest you don't expect a quick resolution from them if there's a problem...expect to be run through the ringer. If I don't get satisfaction soon my next step is to dispute the charge, which hopefully will get their attention. Even that may not do any good, but hopefully I'll get this worked out. .

dang190
4/24/18

I took my new bike out on first ride along c @ o canal. Nice and flat easy. I went 9.76 miles when derailer snaps lose. Broke. Walked it back to car and bike shop. Bike shop examined part and stated clearly it was a defective part. Sent pics of parts and repair invoice. I contacted Larry at bikes direct and was informed they dont sell defective parts and would not help with $59 charge.....sad statement for a company not interested in helping customers with defective bikes!

kapilr1
3/15/18

I got a bike and a professional tried tuning up, but he could not because there is a faulty component. Customer support as usual sent the videos to fix it, which I tried and after spending 4 hours, I failed and complained. Customer support now ask to send it back if I like and I have to pay for the shipping fee. You might get lucky for me, its a pain. I have already spent money on the professional tuneup, and now I have to pay $100 for shipping it back...that's not called a good customer service.

ch26689
8/3/17

I own two Motobecane bikes. I got a stress crack on my Ti Fly frame and it took 6 months to fulfill the warranty for my frame. Would u go 6 months without your frame? Very upsetting.

darrink2
7/28/17

So far I am not super impressed. You spend $1500 dollars with someone, you kind of expect a rapid response. It has been a couple of days and I have tried to call (no. way to get through or even a message machine) I will alter this review if they get back to me soon (perhaps they are overrun with bike sales today). If not I will simply call the cc company and work it out with them.

dr1321
7/14/17
• Updated review

As of today, I bought 4 bikes from BikesDirect.
Out of these 4, two had minor issues (thanks they were not major).
Front wheel on one bike was defective (still is). I wrote couple of requests but received no answer. As for other bike, I only asked for an invoice (PayPal did not send me one) and received pretty rude treatment. Speaking with BikesDirect representative was a major disappointment and she hung up on me (!!!).
As you can see, on my scale, BikesDirect gets 0 out of 2.

P.S. in response to BikesDirect rep previous comment.
Mike, BikesDirect operates from Texas and all bikes come from TX.
Why would you say you work in EDT timezone?
If you are genuinely curious, I'll tell you who told me that no one would
help me because all personnel has left for the day (it was early afternoon in TX, though).

“terrible customer service”
6/23/17
• Previous review

Service I had was not friendly at all.
Girl I spoke with had hard time understanding what
billing invoice is and hung up on me saying that
everyone was gone for the day
(it was a middle of the day in Texas, though).

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi - That sounds unusual. What time and day did you call? Our hours are 9am to 5pm EDT Monday through Friday. The order number is 904-249-2453. A billing invoice is not a normal request and would need to be handled by email. Please email bd4salesteam@aol.com and they will get you taken care of within the next weekday or sooner :)
chuongm
8/26/15

Once I got my bike put together, I replied to bikesdirectbikes@aol.com shipping email with the following message:

Hi,

I got the bike is great shape. Had it put together and it's been performing great, except for one thing that really bothers me. Please see the attached photo. Instead of a Motobecane logo on the the head stock, I see a Gravity logo. What's going on here?

This the the response I got from bd4servicecenter@aol.com:

Hello,
I am so sorry to see that, luckily the bike is a motobecane and since the motobecanes and gravity's are made in the same factory (4 factories make 99% of all bikes on the market) it looks like it was just a small mix up on there part.
The good news is you have a one of a kind bike and will not see another one like it.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Best regards,
Larry @ Bikes Direct

Well it is obvious that my Motobecane frame came from the same factory that puts stickers on the Gravity frames, but is my Motobecane Fantom29 Expert really one of a kind because someone was out of his/her mind the day stickers and frames were passed out at the factory? You be the judge, see attached pic.

I am proud of my Motobecane, but now I have to explain to others about the damn Gravity logo. AND, if I remove it, then that would void the warranty (http://motobecane.com/warranty/). Then on second thought, I don't believe that anyone will warranty the bike purchased at BikesDirect.

I would give the bike a 3 for the one of a kind Gravity logo on a Motobacne, and BikesDirect a 2 for an assinine response.

danteu
8/26/15

I decided to buy a Gravity FXD road bike from Bikes Direct because the price was very attractive and it is my first serious bicycle I have purchased. Unfortunately when the package arrived I found the bike stuffed into the box with no protection except thin foam sheets. Ended up with a bent brake disk, bent spoke, and multiple scratches and gouges. Larry wouldn't even send me some touch up paint. Pretty sure I will never do business with them again. You will be much better off to buy a better quality bike from a known bike shop and cut your best deal or get it on sale. These bikes are not the best quality but it is my first and I will deal with it.

rickw35
8/12/15

I have to say that my first purchase 5 years ago was real good and smooth. But maybe I was either lucky in my choice or just new to their game. You should definitely heed a lot of the negative informed talk you hear of the modus operandi of this business. They do save you money. However any business that is not brick and mortar should save you money over the many that are. So saving money is a given. First off, they are (in my opinion) a shill type of operation. They promote certain bikes that are geared toward highest profit and which are not necessarily a good deal. Be wary of seemingly outside or seemingly independent media promoting such bikes. I suspect that such promotions are part of their shill sales gimmicks; as is the overblown retail comparisons. Those retail comparisons to me are meaningless. Because their bikes are 'assembled parts' under their name and exclusively sold by them. So where does the retail price comparisons gimmick come from? My guess is that it comes from the tally of the sum of the parts, and not the whole bike itself. Thus, if all brick and mortar bike shops did that, then they too could use such inflated retail comparisons. One note on their Motobecane line which I believe is a big part of their shill game: BD paid for the name rights. And this overhead expense is passed on to the buyer. Do consider that in your overall purchase assessment. Is their a good buy to be had at BD? Yes, but you need to do your bike research to become knowledgeable. The great buy I was lucky enough to obtain 5 years ago was the Windsor Dover 3 (comfort bike). These Windsor bikes in any category are terrific bikes with solid and well balanced frame design. Do not hesitate to buy if comparing and trying to decide. Update: I just bought the 2016 Windsor Dover 3 (now with disc brakes) and absolutely love it! This bike puts my friend's 2016 Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe to shame. So enough said about this Motobecane line in this category.

jasonk50
4/16/15

Hi,
Ordered a Motobecane 2015 Sturgis fat bike in orange back in March. Paid a slight discount to receive the bike at a later date. Date of delivery was May 15- May 25. In April I get an email that reads "Update on your order -

We have good news and bad news... Good news is that by placing your order early, you have beat the price increase! Bad news is that the factory is running a month behind on these so the arrival date has been pushed back by a month. We are now excpecting them late June/early July.

We appreciate your prolonged patience and will ship theses bikes as soon as they unload! If we get any new updates in the mean time, we be sure to notify you right away.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Fat Bike. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com "

After reading this, I called and expressed how disappointed I was with the fact that I would have to wait an additional month to month and a half. I asked if there is anything they can do to make this situation better. I suggested maybe upgrading me to a slightly better model that would be available sooner and they flat right refused. Said my options are that I could wait or get a refund. I took the refund.

Will never do business with them, and will share my experience with the many folks that I ride with. DO NOT USE BIKES DIRECT, ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
JayK

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi Jason, We are sorry you were disappointed in the delay. Please understand, this was well beyond our control due to the WestCoast Unions Port Strikes causing massive delays and back ups for all imported goods. The congestion is resolved now and bike imports are flowing as they should. The Sturgis and NightTrain Motobecane Fatbikes are incredible bikes and we have them at incredible prices. About 50 to 60% Less than any other comparably equipped bike sold anywhere else. We sell out of these bikes constantly and expect more shipments all the time.
We hope you shop with us again,
Best wishes,
Joe
markw119
3/11/15

I bought a Fantom 29er at the beginning of last summer. I went for 3 rides, and my derailer hanger broke. I ordered another one, fixed it, and it broke again after 3 more rides. Same thing again. i have never ever had a hanger break, and all of the sudden I broke 3 on one bike in 9 rides. Don't buy one of these unless you want to do a hanger repleacement or hike your bike back mid-ride every third ride.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi- sorry for the frustration. We would like to help you. There is more to this issue - If there was a defect, the hanger would have broken on the first ride but you are saying it made it through 3 rides each time so something else is causing it to break. These hangers are engineered to sacrifice themselves to save the frame and virtually all modern MTB have these exact same hangers which are easily replaced in minutes. Many riders regardless of bike brand carry spares in case this happens in the unpredictable and rough riding that all mountain bikes go through on the trails. We have have sold tens of thousands of bikes in over 15 years and never heard of anyone having this much trouble. Sounds like we need more details on how this is happening. Please contact our service department bd4servicecenter@aol.com and they will be happy to help you trouble-shoot this issue. Best regards- Joe
davidh201
2/3/15

I have tried to order a mountain bike,but they were out of stock. second different bike was out of stock. third and still different bike was out of stock. do they keep anything in stock or how does this work? I am ready to buy.

Response from mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Hi - we apologize for selling out of the bikes/sizes you wanted. With savings up to 60% Off List or More, Our bike deals are so good; they don't last. We wish we never ran out but it happens. Please email bd4salesteam@aol.com and they can help find you a bike :)
justinh44
10/12/13

Great place to get a bike when orders go correctly and you know your bike size.

I purchased a high end titanium 29er from them in the past, and it was a flawless transaction at a great price. The bike has been phenomenal.

I decided to share and comment on their Facebook post in order to get on the waiting list to order one of their new fat bikes. I shared the posting on the bike group that I administer on Facebook, and at least one of the members put an order in for one. I was psyched when they sent me a Paypal invoice and paid right away. After a few weeks, others I shared the info with started to get their tracking numbers. I had to email bikesdirect to find out if mine was on the way and it was then they informed me my bike was damaged in the warehouse and I could either get my money refunded or get a smaller size in a month! I had no choice but to get my money back.

It would have been nice to have more options or at least been informed without me having to do the chasing to get the info. I most likely won't be recommending them in the future.

michelles20
4/5/11

My order is not complete yet. I placed an order 2 business days ago, they've taken the money out of my bank account, but have yet to even confirm that they've received my order...or told me if the item is in stock in my size, etc.

I hope that once they actually process my order everything else will procede as wonderful as the other reviews, but so far their only response to my emails asking is "We will process your order on the next business day after it is placed and you will receive an email then with your tracking information then." :( Now it's been 2 days and still no tracking information... crossing my fingers that someday they'll actually think about shipping out the bike parts...

mattg5
6/5/10

They are cheap bikes. I had a few problems with my bike - after seeing such great reviews. 1) You can't call and talk to a live person nor will they call you back. 2) Their email address are personal accounts 3) I had a problem with my frame (broke) and they basically said it was my fault and never called me back. I learned my lesson! PS: I suggest buying from a reputable name you know and can trust!

I would recommend that you think about a hybrid bike first, as the tires are larger & the 26 inch wheels are a bit stronger. Also, you will be more comfortable riding on an upright position. If you like it, use it to loose weight while saving for a decent road bike.

By Jeffrey H.

No. the bike should come ready to ride.

By Dwight W.

Hi - the bike depends upon the type of riding you want to do and what you want out of riding. Do you want comfort? Durability? Speed? More upright riding position? Definitely want to look at bikes with larger tires as they would be more comfortable. The CycleCross type bikes are fast but have a bit larger tires for more durability and comfort than a skinny tire road bike. Check out the OmniStrada which have knobbier and larger tires than the regular cross bikes. They also have top tech tubeless compatible rims which you can easily convert with sealant and kit to being virtually flat free :) Check them out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

It depends on which bike you order. I also had to assemble and adjust the rr deraileur and break calipers. If you are not going to be home when it's delivered you can go to ups website and sign in advance. Ups will send you notifications before and when it arrives.

By william d.

I don't know of an municipality that requires you to register it.

By Alan F.

I think I paid about $55.00 or so. The bike turned out beautifully, it was a gift to my College student son and he loves it.

By Bobby D.

Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....

By Chris P.

Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative

"PERFORMANCE BIKES" ARE A GREAT CHOICE. FOR EXAMPLE, I BOUGHT A ROAD & GRAVEL 18 SPEED WITH A STURDY STEEL FRAME AND DISK BRAKES FROM THEM WHICH WAS $100 LESS (INCLUDING SHIPPING) THAN "BIKES DIRECT'S" ALUMINUM TUBING BIKES THAT WEIGH AS MUCH (OR MORE!). CHECK OUT THE BRITISH BRAND "CHARGE PLUG" (HA! AWFUL NAME) AT PERFORMANCE WHICH COMES WITH ALL THE TOP-OF-THE-LINE COMPONENTS PLUS STEEL FRAME AND WEIGHS JUST 24 POUNDS. ALSO I LIKE THIS BIKE BECAUSE WITH A SIMPLE $34 PART-CHANGE (ON THE REAR-WHEEL) IT'S GEARED FOR STEEP HILL-CLIMBS.

By INGRID P.

hi - if you are having trouble purchasing, please call us 9 to 5pm Eastern time, M-Fri 904-249-2453 to place an order :) Yes, we do take paypal and most major credit cards as well :)

By mike s., BikesDirect Representative
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other customers.

BikesDirect?