Review of B&H Photo Video

2017 Customer choice award

45 reviews with 1 star

jamesw924
10/8/18

I called for info on a rrs quick release clamp for a rss ball head I just purchaised There are a few and I wanted top get the right one. I spoke to the first expert and he didn't know the difference of the clamps. So he put me on with a different Expert he didn't understand what I wanted. Then he told me I needed a plate. When I told him there were 3 clamps he told me I needed the wrong one. Then put me on hold for 20 minutes. Thank god I called really Right Stuff and told me the right one.
Both were very rude. I will never buy anything from B &H again. Always use Adorama there customer service are informed and Professional. I will go on every website to c share this experience.

Response from Henry P., Bhphoto Representative
We regret this uncharacteristic experience and apologize. If we could ID the people here who disappointed you we would share this comment with their managers. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video
jimc432
7/15/18

FedEx shipping from B&H to Massachusetts is horrible! Delivery exceptions extending to 3 or 4 is frequent. Never had a problem with UPS deliveries.

krishnaj8
6/1/18

Ordered Dell laptop and received Asus monitor. And they said that if i drop off the wrong item at fedex they will start processing my laptop immediately. So I did the same and shared the tracking info with them but now they changed their tone, they are not sending my product immediately. Three different Customer Service Assistants gave three different statements about their return policy. I am really disappointed. I don't know when they will send my laptop and I hope at least they will send correct one if they send. They don't believe in Customers. They send 230$ product for my 899$. I learned my lessons this will be my last product from this site.

wendelind1
5/31/18

ALMOST 2 MONTHS SINCE INITIAL ORDER AND I STILL DON"T HAVE A WORKING PHONE AND WON"T BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I FILED A BBB COMPLAINT, THEY REFUSE TO GET ME A WORKING PHONE!!!!!!!

On Apr 3rd I ordered a Moto G XT1625 4th Gen. 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Black) Used Cat.# 1750902 MFR # 00971NARTL which I received on Apr 12. On Apr 19th, I filed this RMA complaint: I have purchased used technologies from many companies including HP and BestBuy and I have never received one in such lame condition as this phone. I have loaded the requested update 10 times and as soon as it finishes, it asks to do another 10 min update. I don't know if this problem is why I can't get it to connect to my phone provider, but it can't connect. So, other than being a paperweight, this phone is useless. It is in perfect condition scratch and scuff-wise. I would like a replacement phone ASAP that actually works and is in the same perfect physical condition or new for shipped for free. On 04/22/18 I received the RMA label - Your RMA form and PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL(S) are attached to this email as a PDF document. On May 14th, I received a phone (that actually appeared to be the same EXACT PHONE) with the SAME EXACT issues (can't connect and keeps requesting an update). On May 18th I contacted B&H via chat: ------------Begin Transcript------------ : Hello my name is Adam G and I'm looking forward to helping you today! Me: Great because I am giving B&H one chance before I contact the BBB! Me: I have had great service from B&H for over 25 years so I am absolutely appalled!! They say that they are unable to replace the phone since it is used - DON'T SELL WHAT YOU CAN'T DELIVER IN WORKING ORDER OR SUBSTITUTE WITH A WORKING MODEL!!! My B+H Order # 1050491767 so folks can verify my experience!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT BUY USED EQUIPMENT HERE!!!

Response from Henry P., Bhphoto Representative
Web No: 1050491767. Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. We are sorry the first phone we sent apparently had a problem. We are surprised to learn a second, different, phone also seems to have had a problem. It is unusual for one customer to receive two different non-working samples of the same product. You said you do not want another used phone and it is no longer available new, so a new one cannot be sent. A refund will be processed as soon as we receive the second phone. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video
kienn2
4/11/18

I purchased a Pelican case with a free $50 gift card. I clearly made sure the gift card showed up during checkout - it was in the same line as the product. However, they did not send the gift card when the case was delivered. I contacted them and they refused to honor the full amount of the gift saying the price was higher and said they would send the gift minus the difference. I sent them the screenshots showing the price was still the same with the gift card with the current time. But they ignored them and keep saying the price was different. A week later when I reviewed my cart, the price was still the same and the free $50 showed as 2nd line. So it looked like they had a glitch in my order. But I still haven't received the gift in any amount after the last contact with them 2 weeks ago. It's so crazy that they love to lie and argue with a loyal customer for just $11 difference. They lied to BBB that it did not come with the gift card when I made the purchase. I WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE PURCHASE IF IT HAD NOT INCLUDED THE GIFT CARD.

Tip for consumers: stay away from their free gift card offer. They would not send it properly.

salm163
3/5/18

I bought a gimbal that was defective straight from the box. I left the country on the day the item arrived and was only able to open it when I got back, only to find out it was defective. When I reached out to B&H costumer care I was told that since it's been over 30 days nothing can be done. They also advised to contact the manufacturer.
I e-mailed the manufacturer and got no reply. Then I called them and was instructed to contact the seller to get a replacement. Now tired of being tossed back and forth, I would appreciate B&H to take some responsibility for shipping me a defective unit in the first place. I didn't pay for a broken item.

It's frustrating that being B&H the company that actually sold me the item won't take responsibility for selling me a broken gimbal. I have always valued your quality and good prices, this however is turning to be one of the worst costumer experiences in a sense that
1. I don't expect to be shipped with defective merchandise
2. If and when defective units are sent I expect the company to take steps to fix it. After all there's a reason people go to specific companies, for reputation and price guarantee. Costumer satisfaction is key for retaining businesses.

One of the reasons i shop with Amazon is the fact that their relationship with me doesn't end after the purchase. I had a pair of Beats By Dre headphones that stopped working after 6 months. I contacted them and they send a replacement unit straight away. This unit I had been using, and got replaced. They have my business forever.

It's appalling that B&H would refuse to exchange a new, unused, straight from the box defective unit. Now, am I expected to keep an item worth over $400 which defective is essentially a piece of junk?

miket220
1/15/18

Don't buy unless you're willing to accept the item in ANY condition it comes in. Attempting to speak to someone at the store took forever, when connected they were adamant that as long as they got their money they don't care the condition the product is shipped in. Go to KEH or Adorama.

martinl120
1/13/18

good afternoon sir.I bought 3 bluetooth with a three years warranty and two of them are not working well.I can fine my bill of sale please can you check in your system and see if you will fine it and let me know.
thank you very much and do have a great day.
martin langwa.

lioneld15
1/3/18

A recent delivery by UPS of a package of Epson papers was sent damaged beyond any use ( bent box and banged at corner- Further it was written up and classified as used in the invoice ! I wish i had known that ...
I am surprised of such ....a first in my relation with B&H overthe years!!

robertl316
12/22/17

I NOW have to pay MORE for shipping JUST the ribbon and Paper THEN the entire cost of the 60 prints of paper!

B&H is still the best - This is my first problem ever.....

jonn334
12/18/17

Horrible Horrible Experience! Do NOT BUY from them if you want something quickly . Do NOT TRUST their Expedited Shipping. I ordered some items spending considerable amount of funds after they offered Free Expedited Shipping which is 1-3 business days depending on the location. However, after I placed the order, the website said I would get those items in 5-6 business days. Why would B&H Photo advertise and promise a free expedited shipping when they do not send the items by expedited way? It is a total lie just to have the sales, not an honest service. I only placed an order thinking I would get it on time as a gift for a special person. Now, I got nothing. Zero Star for you B&H.

barryh50
12/6/17

I live in Australia and I have tried to return a Western Digital Hard drive that was faulty from day one. The UPS service employed by B&H will not take the drive and return it to B&H because of a UPS policy, thus rendering B&H returns policy useless. I have made B&H aware but they have taken no action. OVERSEAS PURCHASERS LOOK ELSEWHERE.

williamr178
12/1/17

Website always easy to navigate and simple to use. Easy checkout. Products live up to expectations.

stevel164
11/2/17

Two weeks ago I loved B&H and spent thousands of dollars a year at the online store, but a single order has flipped my opinion. In essence, customer service is lazy and apathetic. In this case, an order for a single item was placed before 11AM and overnight shipping was requested and paid for. It was critical for my business to have it the next day. I had a feeling the item did not ship because I received notice a few minutes before 7PM that the shipping label had just been printed. The next morning I tried to stop the order because the item was of no use to me if it was a day late, and I was sure the item was still in their building. Instead of the rep simply checking with the shipping department to stop the shipment, he told me to wait and see if it showed up on time. A few hours later, after noticing that UPS tracking showed no activity on this shipment I called back and that rep told me the same thing in spite of my pleas. Unless someone got on a supersonic plane with the item there was no way it was going to make it to my business on time. There is more to add here, but let's move to today... I am 15 days and 6 phone calls deep into this one, and each phone rep seems to not care anything about me as a customer. Therefore, I am no longer a customer. The final insult was that my refund on this item did not include the shipping charges. In other words, I am paying for their failure to ship on time. I emailed customer service yesterday and as of 6PM today have not received a reply. Lazy, apathetic, and not concerned about losing a decent customer is a tough way to do business, but I suppose if you do the volume that B&H does you can get away with it. I am just posting here to warn others of the frustration they might face if they have an issue with an order. As for me, I would much rather do business with someone who appreciates their customers, lets the customer know if there is an issue with receiving an item on time, at least pretends to want to resolve an issue over the phone, and who does not expect the customer to pay for their failures. Is that too much to ask from a business? If the business is called B&H Photo the answer is probably yes, way too much ask for.

hakank4
10/30/17

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I purchased brand new Evga 1300 G2, They came with the following cables. They are scammers! They sell used items as NEW! I lost more than 2 weeks of my mining business, and hours of labor because of them. Stay Away from these company! I am getting replacement from the manufacturer that I will lose more weeks. I wish I paid $10-$20 more and purchase from a decent company. Do not fool with tons of fake reviews here. Check out other review sites to learn more about this company!

Tip for consumers: Stay away from this company. They have very competitive price because of their used defective items. Check out the pictures I attached.

tome105
9/26/17

Bought Thinoptics package from them. Thinoptics is always sold with 2 pairs. B&H package only contained one, yet charged me the same price as the Thinoptics site for 2. Reached out to B&H. They sent me a return label that cost $11 to use. Outrageous customer service.

bernardd25
9/26/17

I NEED Purolator for Canada shipping. UPS is overcharging duty fees a lot compare to Purolator. It make purchasing for Canadian a lot less interesting. Although I am a customer of BH since many years, I will have to find another store with cheaper shipping process.

jamest237
9/5/17

Ordered a keyboard for a birthday via Expedited shipping that was supposed to be 2-3 business days. Received product 7 business days later. Wasn't shipped until 4 days after order! Called customer support (what a joke) and received a gift card for their website (another joke). DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE! Not even with a free gift card.

Tip for consumers: Use caution when buying from these people. NOT a reliable company. I have made many purchases on the internet and have never had an experience like this!

stevem331
5/17/17

The website said free expedited shipping over $50. Then they sent via UPS ground instead. That's not expedited!

cindyg65
5/3/17

I purchase all my camera equipment thru B&H. There customer service is great when buying but beware when you need something. They are not honest. I purchased a D750 Nikon at full price. It was marked down $400.00 10 pass my 30 day return and you also got a free hand grip. They told me they could not help me as my 30 days was out by 10. Keep in mind I am looking to buy another lens over 2000.00 and just bought one for that amount and a new flash. Told me to contact Nikon they would be the only ones to help me. Well that was an epic fail. Their a billion dollar company they cant help me they said. B&H lied. They could have issued me a credit or refunded something Nikon said. Instead they decided to loose a lifetime customer and many more because one word speaks a thousand

mikel188
2/20/17

3 months after the one year cutoff, a Windows 10 auto update crashed the machine. The machine would only boot to an error message, showing a critical missing driver (thanks Windoze 10). Acer technical support, automated, will only pass you to 3rd party fee-based support -$99 minimum. B&H, where we bought it, says not there problem -- go to Acer sales. Acer sales gives you one option: even though they embed the OS in the machine when you buy it for $521, you have no way of restoring, so you have to pay $48 to get a Flash recovery USB. Years ago, you had the OS on a disk and could just insert and boot up the machine. Now you go through hell. This is progress? This is my wife's PC -- I have Mac and am convincing her to go the same. Send Acer, B&H, and Windoze to hell where they can cause great pain for each other.

matthewl64
2/7/17

These are the objective facts of my recent experience with B&H. I leave it to you to decide on whether you should trust them to supply equipment, taking into account the possibility that the equipment might need returning or replacing.
· Ordered NEW equipment from B&H and paid $795 + $82 delivery charge online. Straightforward ordering and fast delivery.

· Received goods. Paid additional $97 in tax. Goods found to be defective as a number of the suction cups did not hold suction for more than two minutes.

· Returned goods. Straightforward procedure and good support from B&H in issuing return labels etc.

· Received replacement equipment. Paid additional $110 delivery charge and a further $104 tax on delivery. This equipment found to be WELL USED stock, with numerous marks, dents, scratches and a vital attachment ¼ thread stripped rendering it unusable.

· Contacted B&H to advise them that I was not satisfied. B&H refused to accept the goods were used and asked for photographs. Photos were supplied showing clearly the signs of use this equipment was WELL used, perhaps 1-2 years old and used heavily in that time. Verified by manufacturer (Digital Juice) that the condition as seen in the photos was not the condition of the item when supplied NEW.

· B&H continued to maintain that the items had been supplied as new condition, refusing to acknowledge even the possibility that a mistake might have been made and that a used unit might have been dispatched by mistake. I pointed out that they had two USED units for sale on their website priced at $500.

· B&H offered $75 refund. I refused.

· B&H continued to maintain that the item supplied was NEW.

· After considerable time and inconvenience I received notification from B&H that a refund of $226 had been made as a final offer. They did not ask if this was acceptable to me, nor did give me an opportunity to respond.

· By this time I had paid $513 more than I should have for a USED item that was unusable. Understandably I was not happy with the refund of $226.

· I then advised B&H that I would not accept their offer and that I would like to return the item for a full refund.

· B&H responded by stating they would not accept the return of the item as it was now used!

jinaisp
11/16/16

(Copying my review and their response as it appears on Google reviews)

All it takes is one bad(really bad) experience to lose years of patronage to the store. In my case, it was a really really rude guy at the returns section.

I have shopped at the store in Manhattan, many times over the years. But for the first time ever, I had to return a camera, only to buy something better. But when I went there, there was this big white(jewish i think) guy who started making, remarkably rude but subtle innuendos which it took some time for me to digest. First thing was, there was a memory card that came free with the camera. I left it inside the camera when I returned it. After glancing at the contents, he asked "So you kept the card?" (Subtle, but yes, he did mean if I tried to steal it.) But I gave him the benefit of a doubt. Then after looking inside the camera and finding the card, he says "Yeah, it was not here. So!". Then he proceeded to open a box which was tightly packed, but not that badly either. The second he opened it, there came another canned response. "You don't have to squeeze everything in, just because you are returning it!" I was in shock! I asked him to repeat what he said 2-3 times, after which he dismissed me by waving his hand.

I don't know if it is B&H's strategy to dissuade people from returning stuff, by placing such people at the returns section. Because the canned nature of his remarks came so naturally to him that I am sure he must have been doing this for a while, to a lot of customers now. I did consult a lawyer about this and am considering my options because even after trying to let it go for some time now, I can't. Someone has to stop these people.

Response from the owner in the last week

"Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction and regret this entirely innocuous conversation was open to any misinterpretation. B&H does not have a strategy to dissuade people from returning stuff people return stuff every day and were happy to accommodate them. Its part of being a retailer. I presume the return was processed uneventfully and you received the exchange item or refund you wanted."

Edit after reply from owner(As shown on Google reviews):

"this entirely innocuous conversation was open to any misinterpretation" -

So so according to B&H, it is acceptable behaviour for their employee at the returns section to say "You don't have to squeeze everything in, just because you are returning it!". And they say it is a "misinterpretation" on my side. I don't know how else to interpret it but to think he is blaming me of "Squeezing everything in" just because I was "returning it". I will let other readers be the judge.

"people from returning stuff people return stuff every day and were happy to accommodate them"

Obviously, the store has no choice but to accept stuff returned within the return period without any damage since the store has a return policy. And stores get more sales because they have a return policy. But this guy certainly wasn't "happy to accommodate it".

Your employee needs more training on how to behave with customers. The customer is not your sink to vent out frustrations and complexes.

andrewa58
10/13/16

Stay away from this horrible company. I purchased (2) Focal CMS 65 speakers (over $1500)
and they send me one new one and one open box used one with missing parts. There customer service is horrible. I will never buy from B&H Photo again. Stay away before they screw you!

tamery1
6/24/16

I ordered a small telescope(USD87) from B&H and arrived to the customs in a reasonably time. I paid USD 46 for the delivery cost which is also nothing to complain about. However the item stuck in the customs because of missing digits in HS Code. It was impossible to clear and get the items with these codes. So I contacted B&H for a return actually a recall as I dont physically have them with myself. They quoted me some USD 255 for the return ! This was rediculous. This means my return right is usurped, this is that simple.
As a customer I don't care about company's third party relations or agreements with logistic partners but what I will definitely expect is a trusty and fair manner in each part of the service; this is selling and returning practices.
In short don't expect this from this company once they sell, they finish the service. This is what they understand from a online customer shopping experience.

Robert: Email me - henryp[at]bhphoto.com - and include the original B&H order number if possible. Eddy: We have a 40+ year sterling reputation. We're owned by a New Yorker, not someone in any other country. We offer free shipping on thousands of items. Arvin: We have a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy on almost everything we sell. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

ANy refurbished item we sell has been refurbished by the manufacturer or official US distributor, Nikon USA or Canon USA etc. Other used items are each rated on a numeric scale and we tend to be conservative so customers are not disappointed.

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888625-REG/ Yes, we do. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

By mike j.

You can email henryp[at]bhphoto.com and either I will address your question or forward it to whoever here is best suited to do so.. -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

When you put an item into a shopping cart on the B&H site. after you provide the destination our site will calculate shipping fees for any available shipping vendors so you can decide which to use before processing your purchase. ^hp

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

Used items are listed in a separate section of our site. All of these - bhpho.to/1TQamPr - are brand new.

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

Online we're at www.bandh.com. Our store is 420 9th Ave in Manhattan.

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

Unless the US government or a manufacturer has a restriction we ship almost ecveryting we sell to Australia.

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative

Order cutoff times for all domestic orders shipping via UPS, FedEx Economy, or FedEx Priority: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm ET Friday: 11:00am ET or 12:00pm DST Domestic orders shipping via USPS, FedEx Saver, or Truck (non-rush), received before 7:00am ET will be shipped same day Order cutoff times for White Glove next day delivery (domestic): Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm ET Friday: 11:00am ET or 12:00pm DST International orders received before 7:00am local New York time will be shipped same day.

By Henry P., Bhphoto Representative
Questions? Get answers from the B&H Photo Video staff and other customers.

B&H Photo Video?