Review of BBList

BBList reviews

malcolmb44
11/15/18

I am astonished by the review of BB List by Mr Smith. I have bought and inquired about many items on this site and have always found them to be well informed, reliable, professional and polite. I have been in the film and TV industry for over 35 years, both staff and freelance and welcome the unique facility that BB List provides. Everything I have bought, including a state of the art BBC and ITV approved Sony broadcast camera and a perfect broadcast lens are as good as or better than described.
Their sales system is as good as it could be and so I hope they do not continue to communicate with this man and meet him in court.He obviously gets some sort of pleasure from these communications.
I do find his inability to even spell properly quite amusing.
M Berry

jimmys55
5/5/15

Stay away its full of bbc staff and one thing I learned from lots of experience on ebay is that the bbc staff are all crooks and the same corruption is going on here. The owner is a conceited idiot who keeps intervening in every transation you have to make, makes condescending remarks if you happen to lack knowledge on something. The best of it is the site is a total amateurish mess and you will find yourself going round in circles.

THERE IS NOWHERE TO REPORT FAULTY/NON WORKING GOOS YOU HAVE TO `ASK`

That just sums up the idea. They don't want you to find out how to return things they just want to rip off unsuspecting buyers. STAY WITH EBAY ITS MUCH SAFER!!!

I got ripped off for 18 pounds I was lucky it could have been more.

Response from Barrie W., BBList Representative

BBC personnel do not run BB List. I am a retired ex Sound Recordist . My younger colleague is a multi-skilled freelance Sound Technician and a brilliant programmer. And what a calumny to suggest that BBC staff are crooks!

Unlike other web sites, BB List provides a human interface. In doing so we moderate all messages. Mr Smith has benefitted from our “interventions” during his six transactions because as moderators, we try to offer guidance and even technical advice. We do not impede communication between buyers and sellers.

“THERE IS NOWHERE TO REPORT FAULTY/NON WORKING GOOS YOU HAVE TO `ASK`

We must please some people because our multi national client list is growing year upon year. Many professionals appreciate that they can buy and sell at a distance in confidence.

Barrie White MD BB List Ltd

my respone is INLINE IN CAPITALS Barrie W. [BBList Rep] BB List was established, in about 1992, to broker private sales of professional equipment between professionals in the broadcast and related industries. With no up front fees, we operate on a no sale, no fee basis, only charging commission to the seller on a successful sale through us. Our Payment Protection Service protects both buyers and sellers to ensure they are not out of pocket.. I am horrified by this review posted by Jimmy Smith because it contains a number of inaccuracies that we need to answer. IT DOES INDEED ALLOW ME TO CORRECT THEM BBC personnel do not run BB WHERE DID I SAY THAT? I SAID BBLIST WAS `FULL` OF BBC STAFF...THE SELLERS!!! List. I am a retired ex Sound Recordist . My younger colleague is a multi-skilled freelance Sound Technician and a brilliant programmer. A BRILLIANT PROGRAMMER? LOOK AT THE SITE FOLKS. I RUN SITES FOR BANDS AND I HAVENT GOT MUCH OF A CLUE BUT THIS BRILLIANT PROGRAMMER MAKES ME LOOK WORLD CLASS. And what a calumny to suggest that BBC staff are crooks! AFRAID SO! AND THEY ARE NOT AS DIAPHENOUS AS THEY THINK THEY ARE. EBAY IS FULL OF THEM ALL SHILLING EACH OTHERS AUCTIONS BUT IT GETS WORSE...THEY USE MULTI ID`S AND USE THE `20 FREE A MONTH` ADVERTS TO PUT THINGS THAT THEY HAVE A STACK OF TO SELL, UP AT BUY IT NOW, AT TOTALLY INFLATED PRICES.....AND THERES WORSE..... Unlike other web sites, BB List provides a human interface. In doing so we moderate all messages. Mr Smith has benefitted from our “interventions” during his six transactions NO I HAVENT ALL YOU HAVE DONE IS JUMP IN AND ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT I ASK THE SELLER, QUESTIONS THAT THE SELLER WOULD HAVE ANSWERED SO WHERES THE BENEFIT? YOU SIT THERE LIKE A VULTURE DESPERATE TO SHOW OFF YOUR KNOWLEDGE BY JUMPING IN ON OTHER PEOPLES CONVERSATIONS ITS REALLY IRRITATING AND THEN YOU ARE SO CONCEITED THAT YOU CANT TAKE IT ON BOARD WHEN SOMEONE TELLS YOU ITS IRRITATING YOU HAVE TO JUMP TO THE DEFENSIVE RATHER THAN LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS LIKES AND DISLIKES because as moderators, we try to offer guidance and even technical advice. We do not impede communication between buyers and sellers. YES YOU DO EXAMPLE FOLKS...THIS CURRENT TRANSATION TOOK PLACE LAST NIGHT AND THE SELLER SEEMED ONLINE...SO WE AGREED POSTAGE AND PRICE AND THIS IDIOT KEPT INTERVENING. HE WOULD TELL YOU `OH WHEN YOU NEEDED THE POSTCODE I GAVE IT TO YOU` WHATS THE POINT OF THAT WHEN THE MINUTE I PAUD...AND WE ALL KNOW ITS INSTANT FOLKS, HE SUDDENLY SAYS `OH I CANT CHECK THE MONEYS THERE TILL THE MORNING` SO WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE POINT OF THE INTERVENTION? CONSIDERING THAT A HUGE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE DON`T LEAVE FEEDBACK, I HAVE ALMOST 900 FEEDBACKS ON EBAY SPANNING 16 YEARS AT 100% BOTH BUYING AND SELLING IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ THEM I WILL SEND YOU MY ID YOU MIGHT BE ASTONISHED WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT ME. THATS HOW I KNOW WHATS GOING ON IN THE BBC CLEAROUT I KNOW MY MARKET I AM ON THE SAME BOARDS DAY IN DAY OUT FOR 16 YEARS. I KNOW!!!! “THERE IS NOWHERE TO REPORT FAULTY/NON WORKING ITEMS YOU HAVE TO `ASK` Oh dear. As Mr Smith knows, there is a perfectly adequate message system to communicate with both the other party and the moderators of BB List. He has used it many times. LOL EVERY SINGLE STEP OF THE TRANSACTION YOU DO REQUIRES INPUT ON YOUR BOARD ONE STEP AT A TIME THERE IS A LINK FOR EVERYTHING...THE INITIAL AGREEMENT THEN THE POSTAGE AGREEMENT THEN WHEN ITS PICKED UP WHAT COURIER, IS IT INSURED, IS THERE TRACKING, IS IT DELIVERED, HAS THE MONEY CLEARED ....EVERYTHING. BUT NOT ONE SINGLE LINK OR ANYWHERE DOES IT TELL YOU WHAT TO DO IF AN ITEM IS FAULTY. I STAND BY MY COMMENT. For his sixth transaction he accuses us of ‘ripping him off’ to the sum of 18 pounds. That is patently untrue. He knows full well that he was not only refunded in full the sum of 18.30 pounds but that the seller gave him the microphone, even though it was working as advertised. In desperation the seller wrote, “As far as I am concerned please accept a full refund and throw away the microphone to save on any further postage.” The story behind that is that Mr Smith, a self-professed amateur, claimed the microphone was not working. He was also rather disparaging about the advice that both my colleague and I attempted to give him. TELL PEOPLE THE TRUTH...REAL STORU FOLKS IS THAT I ASKED PUBLICLY IF THE ITEM WAS SUITABLE FOR MY PURPOSE I EXPLAINED MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND THE SELLER SIMPLY WENT AHEAD WITH THE TRANSACTION WHICH I FELT MEANT YES. IT WAS CLEARLY USELESS FOR MY PURPOSE BUT OF COURSE THESE `SO CALLED SOUND ENGINEERS` HADNT BOTHERED TO INTERVENE THIS TIME AND TELL ME `ON BEHALF OF THE SELLER` THAT IT WASNT SUITABLE AS THE MIC HAD TO BE POWERED USING A SOUND MIXING DESK AT A SPECIFIC VOLTAGE AND ALTHOUGH I HAD VARIOUS ITEMS THAT PROVIDED `PLUG IN POWER` IT WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR THE MIC. SO I WAS LEFT MADE FEELING IT WAS MY ERROR AND THE BIT THEY DONT TELL YOU IS THAT I REFUSED THE REFUND JUST TO SHOW I WASNT RYING TO CON A FREEBIE OUT OF SOMEONE. SO ONCE AGAIN YOU ACCUSE ME OF SAYING `YOU` YIPPED ME OFF? THE SELLER DID BY WITHOLDING THE INFORMATION AND PROCEEDING WITH THE SALE, HAVING ME JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO GET IT WORKING, ONLY TO FIND THAT ITS NOT FIR FOR THE PURPOSE. YES YOU RIPPED ME OFF ALRIGHT. He advises people not to use BB List. But why is he currently purchasing another item through us? His seventh transaction! IVE ONLY BOUGHT 4 ITEMS FOLKS THE OTHERS WERE CANCELLED...LOL TELL THE TRUTH NOW!!! THIS TRANSACTION WAS STARTED BEFORE ANY OF THE HASSLE AND I HAD VOWED NOT TO GO BACK TO YOUR EMPORIUM. I EVEN STATE IN PUBLIC ON THE BBLIST THAT I HAD NO INTENTIONS OF COMING BACK BUT I DID WANT THE ITEM AND IT WAS STARTED A LONG TIME AGO SO I WENT AHEAD. THIS WAS IN A MESSAGE TO THE SELLER FOLKS. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT I DIDNT USE THE 18 POUNDS REFUND `IN MY ACCOUNT` WHICH THEY FORCED UPON ME THROUGH GUILT. NO I PAID FOR THE ITEM IN FULL. AND AS USUAL THEY INTERVENED. We must please some people because our multi national client list is growing year upon year. AS MORE BBC STAFF GET CAUGHT BY EBAY Many professionals appreciate that they can RIP YOU OFFat a distance USING confidence.TRICKERY. Please go to www.bblist.co.uk to look at our web site and then make up your mind. AND THEN GET LOST IN THE AMATEURISHNESS OF IT ALL AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING Barrie White MD BB List Ltd JIMMY SMITH http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jimmythejock PS....THE ITEM I BOUGHT TODAY FOLKS WAS ACTUALLY REDUCED IN PRICE ACCORDING TO THE STICKER 35 POUNDS WITH A SLASH THROUGH IT REDUCED TO.....35 POUNDS! WHAT A SAVING! DUH! 3 hours ago

Mr Smith is quite correct on a few of the above points. Yes, he has 3 successful transactions and yesterday, the 5th of May 2015, he proceeded with this his new purchase. It must be pointed out that one item was returned because he had not read the description properly!. He has had three refunds. Only one was no fault of his. So he knows how to ‘complain’ when there is a problem. Regarding the transaction about which Mr Smith is complaining, as for all our buyers, he was sent notification that the item had been shipped. This was on April 20th. Part of that message reads as follows: ‘INSPECTION AND BB LIST PAYMENT PROTECTION You have 24 hours in which to inspect the goods and to check that they are in an as advertised condition. The 24 hours begins from the time of delivery. If we do not hear from you, through the message system within 24 hours, we will assume that you are satisfied with the goods and we will complete the transaction and pay the seller on your behalf. Please inspect the goods and notify us and the seller of any problems.’ Three days later he wrote: “Received the mic a short while ago but alas it`s dead. What do I do to return it?” We then advised him. As for his microphone issues, I interjected a few times as I am a sound engineer, and from the points he had made and knowing the mic he had bought, I knew that the mic required the 48V phantom power to be turned on. In his tests he was comparing the electret mic with a dynamic mic. The former requires P48 and the later does not. From the list of items of equipment I knew he had used to try the mic with, I knew that most of them were capable of supplying P48. I even provided him with a link to a manual for his DAT machine (that he had successfully bought through BB List) pinpointing the page that detailed where the P48 switch was. I did not do this from condescension, I did this because I have used that very same DAT machine and knew that the P48 selector switch is a pig to find. Some of Mr Smith’s comments about the layout and its usability of BB List, are valid and that is why we are in the middle of redesigning vast swathes of the website. We have been at it now for over 6 months. Some of these changes are completed, but none of them have been released to the public yet, others sadly are still a way off public release. We are a very small company, we sadly do not have the resources of eBay or Amazon for development. The lion’s share of income from sales goes on maintaining the website and the servers with a little spent on development. Very little is drawn in staff wages sadly. Yes the website is dated, we started development just before HTML 5 came online, so the technology we used is old, it is dated, and to start again now with a swish HTML 5 website is really beyond our wildest dreams – we simply can not afford it. My boss is understandably defensive of his ‘baby’ he has put the last twenty years of his life into BB, he has rehomed thousands of pieces of kit, he has thousands of happy customers all over the globe, and we are proud of the BB List Payment Protection Service which exists to protect buyers and sellers from the risks and pitfalls of trading with unknown 3rd parties – To explain, we hold the buyer’s money in trust until they are happy with their purchase. We usually pay sellers 24 hours after confirmed delivery unless we hear that there is a problem. It is sometimes difficult to get money back from sellers if buyers contact us after the 24 hour period has elapsed. Mr Smith was promptly told us about the problems and he benefited from our maximum level of protection and problem solving. The BB List Payment Protection Service and the direct human contact is unique to BB List and we are very proud of the extra level of service we provide which is above and beyond that offered by eBay etc. Mr Smith has a good point about providing a link to report problems even though he already knew how to register a complaint. Regretfully his constructive criticism was presented rather negatively because it is constructive criticism from our customers that has shaped BB List to what it is today. Because he needs help, I hope to get this working as soon as possible. His comment about price reduction, we have recently taken to publishing the old and new price to discourage sellers from making small price reductions just to get back into our newsletter once more. As for his old price 35, new price 35, I do not know where he gets that from, the only reduction I have a record for is from 40 to 35, but that is so old now it no longer shows as a price reduction on BB List. I cannot see a price reduced flag for the item he bought. Sorry. It may have been there yesterday – I wish the issue had been drawn to my attention then in case there is a bug in code that needs to be fixed. In final response to the £18.30 refund. This was at the request of the seller. He wanted to do the right thing. The seller in question makes several new transactions on a daily basis. He wants all of his buyers to be satisfied. And given the age, condition, and price of the mic Mr Smith bought, it was never going to be an oil painting, it was only ever going to be a case of re-homing. The item in question had very high resolution (2000 x 1500 pixel) photos available on our website for Mr Smith to inspect the condition of the mic. In hindsight I should have asked him to provide new photos for us to compare. Live and learn! The money belongs to Mr Smith. It is his to withdraw. I have conveyed that message to him today. If he is using the mic and is satisfied with it now, then he should tell the seller and do the right thing. He most certainly was never “robbed of 18 pounds”, it has been staring him in the face as credit in his account on every single page of our website as he continued to use it. If in trying to assist Mr Smith with solving his problems making his microphone work I appeared to be condescending then I apologise. Sorry. Emyr

By Barrie W., BBList Representative
Monitor arrived and filmed being opened and tested it was broken. Agreed with seller to buy the case for £20 and seller said he was delighted with my offer under the circumstances. I had already paid £10 delivery so the case cost me £30. He agreed to refund me 15 by paypal. So everything is sorted. EXCEPT YOU KNOW WHATS COMING DONT YOU? Yep that's right next day I get an email from the seller saying he has been told not to contact me any more and they want the tv back to examine it. THEY WANT IT BACK? WHATS IT GOT TO DO WITH THEM THIS MATTER HAS NOTHINBG MORE TO DO WITH THEM I HAVE MADE AN ARRANGEMENT WITH THE SELLER WHICH IS NO0W COMPLETELY SEPERATE AND OFF THE BB BOARD. IT IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. Next thing I get a ltter from a toal stranger telling me a courir with collect the item and I should print a label which DOES NOT HAVE THE SELLERS ADDRESS ON IT. Iask the seller if this is ok but don't get a reply cause these idiots have told him not to! THIS IS HILARIOUS NOW. BEST ENTERTAINMENT ON THE NET RIGHT NOW!!! So the courier got nothing from me. Can you imagine if this was paypal `mr smith you sent the monmitor to a total stranger and now you want us to refund you?` So I don't have my £15 or my £18 I have spent £53 pounds and I have an empty case! I had already told emyr to stop emailing me as I wanted nothing more to do with them so he gets his sidekick to do it instead and then they start phoning my house? THATS A REFUSAL OF MY REQUEST AND IS HARRASMENT WHICH IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE!!!! I am now taking an innocent seller to the small claims court and its a dead slam win. I do these all the time. When I do win this sellers name and address will be blacklisted for credit. I just hope I am here long enough to get to court lol

Questions? Get answers from the BBList staff and other customers.

BBList?