American Public University reviews

info@apus.edu

4 reviews with 5 stars

tommys152
8/10/19

I EARNED by Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice from APUS/AMU (with honors), then went on to complete my Master's Degree in Homeland Security (also with honors, and my thesis was chosen for publication). I work in law enforcement, more specifically, within the Intelligence Community (IC). One of my specialties is pattern recognition, and by reading the posts on this thread, I spotted patterns in the grammar and sentence structure of the posters -- meaning there are people on here making multiple posts to discredit the university, all because they didn't get the amount of financial aid they wanted, or they didn't do something right and blame the University. Key words such as "morons" used in several posts, indicate it's the same person. There is a "former professor" on here who has made at least three posts to discredit the University. Please do your homework before you believe the lies told by people on here. Take Adam C's post for example: he says he might lose his job because he got a degree that was not ABET accredited. That is NOT the fault of APUS -- that's his fault. They plainly list all of their accreditations, so if he did not bother to check on that first, sorry.

Another thing...the "former professor" stated that she knows of financial aid fraud because they allow students to withdraw up until the end of a course and they still get their refund back. That is INCORRECT. Of course, students can withdraw at any time, but if she really knew what she was talking about or really worked at the school, she'd know that there is a policy in place that scales the amount of tuition you can get back. For example, if you take an 8-week course and withdraw in week 3 or 4, you are going to get 75% of your tuition back. If you wait until week 7 or 8, you are not getting anything -- what school in the world would let you take a full class, and give you all of your money back if you withdraw at the very end? Not one.

There is another person (Dominique E) blaming the school because someone supposedly took out student loans in his/her name. That's not the school's fault. Your loans are awarded by completing FAFSA and tax return information, then that information is supplied to the school. If someone took out a loan in your name and it was not you, then they committed fraud and used your identity -- not the school.

Additionally, the moderator of this page should really review posts for true and accurate information. If anything is a sham, it is this website.

georgem449
9/12/18

Hard work and self-discipline are required when taking online courses. I worked my butt off and had earned both a BA and an MA in History at APUS. I found the majority of Professors I had to be very helpful and did not experience anywhere near the issue's others have posted on this site with my classes, and or for that matter, Financial Aid either. Over the years I have attended brick and mortar schools, both traditional and expedited, and can tell you I never had to work as hard to accomplish my goals. It took self-discipline and determination to achieve what I did not expect others to hand over.

mitcht5
3/23/17

I recently graduated from this school with a BS in Information Technology. I just got accepted to GA Tech for a Masters in Computer Science. I think the school is respected enough to get me into one of the top Tech Schools in the country.

as219
4/3/11

One of the most well respected online universities - they have received awards from the prestigious Sloan Consortium and are very well respected in the fields of homeland security, intelligence and public safety (to name a few). Staff is extremely helpful and there is a great support network for students. Highly recommended...

if you find out let me know! I am beyond mad at this school. Email me if you get any info. sandrajean68@yahoo.com

By Sandy M.

Questions? Get answers from the American Public University staff and other customers.

1 Photo for American Public University