Review of AmericanKennels

AmericanKennels reviews

1 Review From Our Community

caroliner13
11/17/15

On the American Kennels website, it reads: "We at American Kennels believe that we are only as strong as the health of our pets and the happiness of our clients." That is a fabricated lie. My initial feeling when I first bought my pug 2 years ago was insensitivity and greed from this overpriced pet shop that deals with puppy mills. I had to put my 13 year-old pug to sleep and stopped in there and bought a new pug on a whim; my 2 year old Pug died in April. Cody died from necrotizing meningoencephalitis (NME), also known as Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE). PDE tends to strike Pugs who are closely related (e.g., littermates) and many veterinarians suspect that it is hereditary and immune-mediated. They continue to use the very same breeder for their Pugs, so if you are considering purchasing a Pug, I suggest you go elsewhere. I went into the shop the day after my dog died at the Animal Medical Center on 62nd Street and told the Manager, what happened. He stared at me blankly, with NOT an ounce of sympathy or compassion. Although I was given a 'Lifetime' guarantee (which is 25% off of the price I paid for Cody), I was told that they had no pugs, do not expect any in the foreseeable future and was offered a call should a Pug dog become pregnant. I would not wish what I went through on anyone and the manager does not belong working with animals or people.

Not surprisingly, American Kennels is on the Humane Society list in Manhattan with shady breeder (puppy mill) information. It just so happens that Cody's breeder is from Missouri and apparently from one of the worst puppy mills in Missouri and the country for that matter!

Stay away from this shop! They don't care about animals and they certainly do not care about their customers.

Questions? Get answers from the AmericanKennels staff and other customers.

AmericanKennels?