American Apparel reviews

15 reviews with 1 star

ambera109
3/30/19

THEIFS & SCAM ARTISTS

Bought a handful of items for Christmas presents. Only 2 of them arrived before Christmas they were not the AA quality I had come to know. They were CHEAP quality and the sizing was off.

Waited another 3 weeks for the remaining items and still nothing. Reached out to customer service and was told that the items I was waiting for weren't in stock.

There was absolutely no callout of this on their website and no one thought to notify me that they actually didn't have the items they were selling and left me sitting there for weeks until I chose to reach out. I have read other reviews from people who have experienced the same thing. So when shopping there, there's a pretty good chance you're just PLAYING PRETEND.

On top of all that ridiculousness I checked my bank account and I was actually CHARGED FOR THE ITEMS I DIDN'T RECIEVE.

Customer service refused to believe me despite providing bank statements. Instead they alerted me that it was simply appearing on my bank statement as a record but I was actually charged for the items I recieved on another date. And they were right I was CHARGED TWICE. I reached out to my bank and they confirmed that no credit was put back on to my account and that in both transactions I was charged.

Customer service REFUSED TO REFUND me. Refused to believe me despite the proof I provided.

As far as I'm concerned they have STOLEN $160 dollars from me. Absolute SCAM artists using the brand reputation AA has built with their old brick and mortar as a disguise.

I sincerely hope anyone reading this avoids any interaction with this brand.

In my opinion what they're doing is illegal and they deserve to crash and burn.

thomasj218
2/15/19

Items took 2 weeks to arrive, return took nearly 4 weeks to process. They charged me for an item they shouldn't have and I never got that refund. They told me that they couldn't refund the credit card I paid with so they'd mail it to me (never got it). No body knows anything on the phone, they wont answer emails. When they do refund you, they don't refund the tax you paid (this has got to be illegal). DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. This company is the absolute worst and I will go out of my way to make sure everyone knows. They will steal your money.

sadef2
1/2/19

Horrible customer service received an email to verify my order I called verified they said they would realeade my order the days late I get an email my order is cancelled like why would u cancel my order after I called and verified .Called back they said the person said I never called when I did please do better with customer this is unacceptable.

richardg552
11/26/18

Just received my dozen medium size American Apparel T-shirts which looked like the extra large size made of a cotton so rough that as dust rags, they would scratch the furniture! While the tag reads American Apparel, the tag underneath reads Gildan, made in Honduras. Good-buy American Apparel, you've cooked your own goose, unfit to consume!

dharlam
7/13/18

I ordered over 100$ worth of clothing from their website on July 4th 2018 my order never shipped so I emailed them asking about the shipping status of my order and I got a response saying everything I ordered is not in stock.
When I checked online it said everything was in stock? Also if you happen to order stuff and it's out of stock don't expect an email notifying you because they won't bother contacting to notify you... you will have to contact them...

bonniel102
7/7/18

Every single time I buy something from American Apparel it always come apart. Super cheap quality. Will never buy from there again

karene121
4/3/18

Without a doubt this has to be the worst excuse for a fashion website on the web. Slovenly models and poor presentation of shabby clothing does not inspire me to purchase!

keithr39
10/7/16

Cancelled my express order without properly notifying me. Countless phone calls and email later they said they would fix it all but ended up canceling again. Since this was a purchase for a birthday they completely ruined it. Will never shop from them again.

helens107
6/28/16

Purchased lots of tops in the sale to a value of £66. Returned around half of these tops totalling £39. Their returns form only has enough space to list around 2 items so I was told to photocopy the returns form a few times and put the extra items on the other pages. I did this and returned by Royal Mail. 3.5 weeks later and no email or refund from American Apparel. Chased them up. 24hrs later they refunded me £17 and insisted that I only sent back a few tops. They refused to refund the remaining £22 insisting they never received the top. Took 3 or 4 days to reply to 1 email. Unhelpful on the phone. I supplied proof of postage with the parcel's weight proving I had sent back more tops than they had refunded for. Still waiting for a response and have a feeling I will get nowhere with them. A complete scam and a disgrace. DO NOT BUY!

moonlightl
6/17/16

These people TOTALLY misrepresent the "size" of their products. I am a medium sized woman who ordered two simple ladies body suits. When they arrived, the size was "so small" I had to blink twice. I doubt seriously that a two year old toddler could fit into these pathetic garments. I was so livid I didn't even want a refund or a replacement, I simply gave the items to the local thrift store in the hope that some poor child could benefit from this mistake. Do NOT do business with these people. They have no comprehension of SIZE. I will never do business with these people again, and encourage others not to bother.

jinnyh
5/31/16

They sent my order fedex sans signature confirmation. I live in an apt in Seattle in a high traffic area. Of course the package was stolen as fedex didn't bother to even knock. Did American Apparel care? Nope, they refused to reship using a more secure shipping method such as USPS or UPS. I was a loyal and frequent customer. They lost my business over this. They didn't even bother to respond to my email.

jessicas120
11/25/15

I ordered pants from here on November 9th....I heard absolutely NOTHING from them for 2 WEEKS and never received my pants. The website said it may take 5-7 days to ship out because it was shipping out from a retail store. I finally called them after 2 weeks of waiting and they call the store to make sure they send the order out. I get an e-mail saying that the order shipped out on the 20th sched. delivery for the 24th of Nove. I call today, the 24th of November and they say the order has not even been picked up from the store at all!!! WTF?! I told them to cancel the order and refund my money because I needed them for tomorrow!!! YOU SUCK. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THEM!!!

jennyg22
11/21/15

During one of their sales online, between the time I added an item to my cart and payed for it, the item went off sale. I contacted customer support once I received their purchase information email, and they refused to refund me the difference. As soon as I received the item I shipped it back to them. A month later I got the item back, completely covered in black stains! They refused to refund me because the item was damaged. I contacted customer support again, explaining that I sent the item in perfect condition, and that I kept it in its original packaging since the moment I got it. They told me, once again, that they could not refund a damaged item, and gave me a 30% off coupon that expired in one month, to be used on full price items. I tried washing out the stains from the item but absolutely nothing worked and it shrunk TWO sizes in the wash. I ended up throwing it out without even wearing it. $42 spent on trash.

lisam157
5/21/15

One of the most basic qualities a business should have is consistency, and they are nowhere near consistent in my opinion. I have ordered from their website multiple times, they took over two months to ship some of my "backordered" items, so I waited, and waited, and waited. Then, after over two months of waiting and receiving multiple emails about my back order, they email me saying my order was cancelled and they gave me some lame 20% off coupon. After this I never want to shop from here again. I wouldn't have been so mad about the cancellation if they had told me right from the beginning that they cancelled my item instead of emailing me for two months straight saying it will be shipped later. Also, their customer service team sucks, haven't heard back from them through email. Plus in one of my shipments one of the items I received had a freaking censor tag on it, I called them about this, waited over half an hour to speak to someone, asked for a new item without a censor, she said they would email me with a shipping label to return it, and I never received that email so I had to manually take the censor off myself. After all these horrible experiences I will never be shopping here again. Waste of my time and money, not to mention confusing and horrible customer service.

Tip for consumers: If you do order from their website, make sure you call their customer service team and ask about your order, because they screwed me over multiples times.

sailorc
12/20/10

Ahh! Horrible! All I wanted to do was find leggings and I get a picture of a girl holding her hand over her naked exposed breasts!! All the women are in whore poses! For all the good things that MAY be said about the clothes they sell, who wants to see this?? Its unfortunate that they sell their clothes through sites like amazon and I am sometimes forced to see them if I am looking for something.

Blah! My disgust urged me to write this review.

Questions? Get answers from the American Apparel staff and other customers.

American Apparel?