Review of Acorn TV

support@acorn.tv

103 reviews with 1 star

mb260
5/20/17
Called their support number and was told they did not have any phone time, An hour later, they do. Confirmed double billing with my credit card people. Acorn is telling me I singed up for 2 accounts - - in one house??? I am asking Credit people to attempt to get me a refund of double pay. Have canceled Acorn.
thomasr146
5/6/17
Watched the first 3 episodes of The Disappearance - great..Went back the next night could not even find the show! Extremely amateurish streaming device that is very customer UNfriendly. Would absolutely fire all the so called professionals that put this together and completely revise the system. I mean have you ever really benchmarked the competition? You come up short in ALL categories!!!!
judithf18
4/29/17
I love the shows, but most of the time I am unable to watch them. As with other customers, I can watch Netflix, amazon, Hulu, etc. with no problem. Acorn will buffer, stop author no restart. My internet speed is fine for streaming. Not sure what to do because I really like the shows.
drakee1
4/8/17
The buffering is so annoying that in the past 7 months I've watched the channel less than the fingers on my hand. I paid 50 bucks for nothing. And, I get all my other channels with no problem, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, so please don't tell me that it's my Wi-Fi speed. I won't be renewing.....
cathyb69
3/10/17
I unsubscribed after free month trial. Its been 6 months since and I am being charged again on last 4 bills. I did not reactivate and according to my subscription I am still unsubscribed. I have learned a lesson and will not subscribe to free trials again.

Tip for consumers: Dont subscribe

daler39
3/8/17
I have had Acorn TV since July 2016 and cringe when I want to watch a program. Download speed is at 3 to 5 times faster than the recommended speed by the company.
glenk14
1/20/17
I have contacted customer service and unsubscribed from Roku and Acorn is still charging me. Email to "Customer Service" didn't work either.
davidp284
12/9/16
In the last year content for Canadian customers is virtually non existent.
ellens55
11/28/16
Yes. I subscribe through Roku, and my account is auto paid. I am unable to log in. Roku customer service is atrocious and I am hoping that I can go around them. Please advise. I am on the verge of canceling.
ians80
11/17/16
What idiots designed the UI? No one with 1/2 a clue that's for sure. Playback REGULARLY (4-6 times in an hour episode) jumps to the end and you need to restart the program then fast forward to where it failed. It doesn't remember where you were and FF is unreliable. Sometimes it jumps a few seconds, sometimes 30 seconds, other times it'll jump to the end.

No preview window when fast forwarding so you have no clue where you are. Recently watched list does not populate.

Emailed them with my concerns (we are on our week free trial). ZERO response. So what will their service be like if we're paying? Well, guess it couldn't get worse!!

Absolute rubbish!
patriciam157
11/16/16
Why is the selection for Canadian viewers so crappy? The U.S. gets the best shows, we get the leftovers
johns1507
John S.
11/12/16
Reading all the poor reviews of your service. My complaint is that I can't even sign up! Won't accept my email address! Guess I'm lucky, after reading the reviews, lol!
timh82
11/10/16
Installed Apple TV app then started 30 dat trial ehich took three attempts. Browsed content but clicking any show simply did nothing. No error, no content, nothing. Cancelled subscription after FOUR attempts and will never touch them again.
nicolec111
11/4/16
I have had acorn tv for 4 days and nothing works, not on ipad, roku, nor laptop. I emailed twice and no response. Going to cancel. You stink Acorn!
Response from AcornTV T., Acorn TV Representative
Hello Nicole.

AcornTV Customer Service
arthurc43
10/18/16
Wonderful programs. Abysmal to non-existent customer service. Service stopped working in August & technical support was rude & useless. Attempted to cancel - this took 60 days. Attempting to get 3 months service charges credited back & the agent stalled, was rude, & refused to listen to me. Today I called my bank & filed a dispute which usually works. I will never recommend or use Acorn streaming or buy from Acorn again.
Response from AcornTV T., Acorn TV Representative
Hello Arthur. We have contacted you through Private Message and would like to work with you to resolve any issues you may have. Please respond to our message so we may assist you.

AcornTV Customer Service
ivanl30
10/11/16
Abysmal service.

No phone # available and web page is not conducive to terminating the "service"

They established 2 accts for me including w/ Facebook

Try finding "acct status" page let alone "cancel"
michaeld235
10/4/16
If you're being improperly billed by Acorn simply contact your Credit Card company; they will issue a "Chargeback" against Acorn and you'll get a refund.
richardd144
10/4/16
Let me put it to you this way; let's say you find an ad for a place that offers the sort of pizza you like at a very good price. You order one and you like it. Now the pizza company tells you that you can get these pizzas as often as you like for a good price if you give them your credit card info. You are OK with that and sure enough the pizzas start arriving when you want them.

Everything is OK until comes the day (and you can read the other reviews my friends because that day WILL come) when you order the pizza and it does not come. Your initial response it to call the pizza shop. Good luck finding the number they only communicate with you through robo generated email that direct you to their website tech support FAQs. You go to their website and navigate and try their one-size-fits-all solutions and still no pizza.

You write your own email to tell them you still have no pizza and they robo-respond with another email directing you to their website FAQ and this time they tell you they are working on it.

You give them a few days to work on it while you continue to order more pizzas which never arrive. You write again asking for a phone number where you can reach a person.

You hear nothing and then.....you get another email declaring your problem solved and asking you how you liked their service!!!

As I write this I still have no pizza, I am still paying for it and I have given them one final chance to fix it.

Someday Acorn will be modestly famous as either a B-school case study of how a good plan poorly executed failed miserably or how a group of smart people, finding their product out of control managed to turn it around and made it successful.

In the meantime, if you haven't signed up yet, I suggest you give it another year, come back to this site, read the reviews and make your decision. But as for now, save your money.
kevint79
8/27/16
Not much more to say than the title. I cancelled the service in September and I recently discovered they were still billing me through December. I only discovered this after I lost my credit card and the payment was rejected through Roko. These crooks could of billed me for months without me knowing it!

Acorn TV

The worst streaming service ever
8/27/16
Tried the 4.99 free trial watch 7 episodes and on the last episode the service stopped streaming. I tried everything no change. I think as long as they get their 4.99 from 1M trial subscribers they are ahead of the game. Don't spend the money stay with Netflix
trevorc30
8/27/16
Constantly stopping and will not restart. Need to delete app and reload to get anywhere ...if you are lucky. Good programs but technical capability is POOR
virginias32
8/26/16
I have subscribed for months now and they keep telling me it will be fixed "next week". Samsung is wonderful, but Acorn is a joke. They put out a streaming product before it worked and continue to do so. The keep repeating "we are working on it" while taking your money an not doing any software fixes. Months on end.
joyceb50
8/21/16
This was exactly the type of programming I was looking for. So disappointed when I couldn't even watch one program all the way through. It totally locked up my Smart TV about half way through and had to turn of the tv every time. Wish they could get this problem resolved. Had to cancel.
helenm111
8/15/16
Unreliable streaming that's always failing. Tech support is the worse. Scripted email replies don't address problem inquired about. They're written by ppl with absolutely no English language skills. Programming would be awesome if it would ever reliably be accessible.
davidd249
8/10/16
Repeated problems trying to view any of the content. Something must have recently happened (perhaps related to the new web site). Have been unable to view ANY content/episode/show from start to finish for several weeks. Starts, stutters, stops. Won't restart. No customer service response to repeated requests. Back to UTube, I guess.
tamaraw23
7/25/16
I love the programming, but there are UNRELENTING streaming issues and the customer service is HORRENDOUS. Furthermore, if you post a complaint on their FB page, you get blocked. Unbelievable!

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV