Developed in part with a grant from
the National Science Foundation

Share your thoughts with other consumers

Jury Duty Scam in 11 States so far!

Boy, they are clever these scammers, aren't they? Here is one that my friend sent me today that has already been reported in 11 States in US already. It involves Jury Duty.

Pass this on to your grown children. This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo, your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and Colorado . This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system.

The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites , warning consumers about the fraud.
Check it out here:" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> <>

And here:" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> <>
Yep! It's true

Post Reply

Unbelievable. I'm honestly surprised that anyone would have the chutzpah to actually pretend to be the government and call people! I'll email this one around to my friends. Very interesting stuff =)

  • Reply

scary...Good timing that you just wrote this. I just recently forgot that I had jury duty and am now scared I will have a "bench warrant" out on me. If someone called me, I totally would have given them that information to get off the arrest warrant.

  • Reply

OMG, lol, If you get a call, Hope, call the court and ask for the court clerk and find out what you need to do to take care of it. Poor thing, lol. ;)

  • Reply
Get notified about new replies
Read Discussion Guidelines