US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 261 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 55 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 251 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

ms175
3/25/15

I've ordered previously from Thredup without any issues. I recently placed two orders, one of which had 6 items. I checked the status today and they issued a credit for one of the items...an Ann Taylor Loft Silk dress, that I was REALLY looking forward to getting. I'm not sure why, item was stated as "like new" so not sure why I can't have it :( I'm still awaiting a response from ThredUp

tameras1
3/25/15

I been using thredUp for a year and had good results, i given my clothes and get payed. If you want an item i sometimes used my earnings.

Tip for consumers: Great clothes and purses and shoes. All for the family

melissat22
3/25/15

Existing customers don't get any perks. No coupon codes or love. I'm just not thrilled anymore. You should get FREE RETURNS on whatever they don't buy from your cleanout bags as well. Clothing prices seem "all over the place". There seems to be no rhyme or reason why certain items are so pricey for what you're buying. I can honestly get better deals at the mall on a lot of things. New customers seem to be the focus of attention while I get stiffed. They're going to lose my business soon if something doesn't change.

christinei2
3/25/15

I have bought and sold items to ThredUP. Selling is convenient. I think the price I receive is fair for my items- I've never opted to have my items return, so I'm not sure about that process. There is a long wait compared to other sites or consignment stores to be paid (3-4 weeks), but that doesn't bother me. I have bought kids and womens clothes and shoes.Only once wanted to return a purchase. I ended up not returning it because it was more expensive to ship it back that what I had paid for it. I plan on continuing to visit as a seller and buyer.

sarahr62
3/24/15

Thredup has scam written all over it and now they have disabled posts on their Facebook page so no one can talk on there. Red flag much?

barbarac48
3/21/15

I have always had a good experience shopping with tredUP, I really love the tops and shoes that I have ordered.

Tip for consumers: Hope you have a good experience, like I have.

shelleyp2
3/21/15

I sent a huge bag of items to Thread Up. About only 7 of the 25 items were consigned . After contacting Thead up customer service by phone and email, asking them to find the whereabouts of my other items, no response! I even emailed the CEO of the company, James Reinhart , via LinkedIn, pleading for his assistance. No response! DO NOT SEND YOUR ITEMS TO THREAD UP!

gilliano1
3/20/15

I don't often leave reviews but wanted to let people know I think this business has changed over the past few months. I have sold multiple bags of kids clothes with thredup - I looked back and between last summer and December, I sold them bags with 10-12 items and was paid 35-45 dollars, which seemed like a good return for no work. I had read some recent negative reviews, but assumed others were overvaluing their items (sorry!). So I loaded up all my daughters outgrown summer clothes (so in season and less than a year old). Thred up took all the clothes as they were in perfect shape and from Hanna, mini boden, janie and jack, etc, however, this time they gave me $40 for 32 items. I have noticed you also need to spend $70 instead of $50 to get free shipping and I haven't received any coupons or "happy hour" mobile deals from them in a long time. I suspect they have done some restructuring to maximize profits. I won't be consigning with them again, will make the effort to ebay or donate. Just deleted the app from my phone and took my cash out.

Addendum: I just returned some clothing to them. Apparently I missed that you have to check a box if you want an actual refund on returns instead of thredup credit and free shipping. When I asked them to take the shipping cost out and refund my money, they said they couldn't and I am stuck with the store credit. Ridiculous customer service.

janel90
3/19/15

i am in shock at the results of my clothing I sent - most of the items were Ralph Lauren boys sweaters, button downs & polo shirts - they claim there was pilling on the polo shirt - pilling? I've bought polo shirts for my son & husband for years and have never seen a polo shirt pilll!!! A under Armour tshirt I sent they claimed was scratched - the emblem was distressed - it's how the shirt was purchased & UA's complete intent to look distressed. The employees looking at the clothing and making decisions are clearly not up to date with today's clothing or fashion. I am disgusted with this company & will be sure to never recommend it to anyone I know. The only positive was the fast response from the company via phone call & emails which I appreciated.

tinac25
3/17/15

I have been purchasing from thredup for several years. Sometimes the quality of clothes is excellent, sometimes worn out and faded. What I have noticed is that the price of clothing is going up compared to other sites.

The major issue I have had is in the processing of returns. I recently sent back 6 items and they lost part of the return. The box had 2 separate returns forms clearly marked with itemizing list of items. I have only been credited with 2 of the 6 items and it is very difficult to get responses from the TEAM. Buyer Beware!

sheilaw16
3/16/15

I love these polka dot bags. You fill them up and send them off. You wait for an email telling you how much is waiting in your account to shop with. So simple, so easy and fun! Thank you!

mm120
3/16/15

First off, if you're buying from ThredUp, it's a complete crapshoot of what you'll end up with in the mail since they provide NO measurements and don't give any real details about the TRUE sizing. For example, I got a FREE PEOPLE tank marked L and it fit like a S. You CANNOT go by their pictures.

Another time, I bought a pair of Prairie Underground pants and was so excited. I waited and waited and waited and finally contacted them. Was told abruptly that they;d "be there soon." They finally arrived a month later without explanation or any credit for the hassle.

Then, sending it back is a pain as you have to pay for return shipping.

As for SELLING, ThredUp is horrible. Notice on their website they don't specify where their unaccepted clothing goes. I sent in a HUGE bag chock full of stuff and got $9. I made sure it wasn't from Target or Old Navy and all that-- it was JCrew, Hanna Andersson, etc.

When I sent my first bag when the company was a fledgling site, I got $60 for my bag. Clearly this company has learned the art of ripping people off to their benefit.

Tip for consumers: Wait until they have 40% off for new users before buying anything.

robync7
3/15/15

They claimed "100% for handbags right now" and sent a mint condition designer bag. I was then told, only after asking, that they decided to donate it. Total lie. It took them almost 8 weeks to "process" the bag too. I purchased some items and when they arrived one was a different colors than shown and one had been shrunken a full size. They don't give measurements for the clothing and they don't even give colors in case their photos are off, which clearly happens. When you try to contact them they tell you how busy they are and then eventually send rude replies. Sounded good! but definately Not worth it.

Tip for consumers: Dont

susanm113
3/15/15

I am a huge fan of thredup. First of all, the items they buy and resale are first quality. Especially the handbags you will not find the price or condition at any resale shop anywhere. Designer bags in like new condition. I've gotten very fair prices for items I've resold and I know that if they are not selected they are donated to those in need. Thredup rocks.

teresad8
3/13/15

Like many others who were ripped off by this company, I sent them an impeccable black leather classic Coach bag that was flawless (documented with pictures prior to sending) and was in total accord with all of their requirements.
They emailed some vague response that it did not meet their standards (but no specific details), and said that the bag would not be returned even tho I offered to send the $12.99 return fee ( not sent originally because the bag was flawless).
Read the reviews about this company at:

San Francisco BBB (170 complaints - mostly unresolved)

www.resellerratings.com/store/ThredUP

www.complaintslist.com/websites/clothing/thredup

www.ripoffreport.com

Clearly a long history of alleged fraudulent business practices. I have submitted a complaint to the BBB and will soon file a police report. Do not let them get away with this.

carolyng13
3/13/15

While I love consignment shopping. ..both buying and selling I have very limited time soThred up gives me the services I want!

jessicac44
3/12/15

I just logged in to my account and I am very very upset!

I sent this email to Anthony@smart-shopping.thredup.com as well.

"Actually, I am quite angry.

You listed my items before I could even approve the payout? What if I didn't agree with the payout?!?! Which I do not agree! Some of my items are now sold so now what??...I am not happy with the payout AT ALL! $21 for 7 brand name items (most with the tags still attached)!!!!!!! That's ridiculous!

Who does your retail price research? They need to be educated or FIRED! My gloves retailed for $88! See them here at Macy's!

You sold them at retail value of $38!

They are selling on ebay for $54! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kors-Leather-Circa-Silver-Logo-womens-Gloves-MSRP-88-FREE-SHIP-NEW-/271312544959

I will need someone to contact me ASAP. I haven't even checked the other items! I am afraid I will get too heated!

I feel scammed and taken advantage of!

Also, I paid for the shipping of the items you did not accept. Are those going to be coming back to me? I haven't heard anything and there is nowhere on the site where I can check that.

You should have never sold my items without me approving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

sarap27
3/10/15

I have been happy with all of my purchases, for both myself and my two daughters. I have also sold a few items. The entire process was very easy and I would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind buying secondhand clothes. It is much easier to browse this website than to go to an actual store! I like all of the filters available when searching for items.

martha
3/9/15

I understood the risk. I sent a bag full of items following their guidelines. It appears they randomly grabbed 5 items from the bag and " got rid" of the rest. It took about 8 weeks to hear they even had the bag. Now I am still waiting for my money even though I can see that some of my items are sold. I will go back to selling myself on eBay and personally donating to a charity of my choice. If they are donating what they don't take to sell there are some charities getting some good stuff but I imagine that it is a positive tax situation for Thredup. They claim to be all about quality but one can see that much of the clothing listed is wrinkled and not particularly special. It's a crap shoot. I took a chance so I'm not mad but I won't be back, except to try and get my money from what was accepted, $36. From over 10 years of eBay experience that is about ten percent of what I would have made if I listed my clothes there. A bit of work for much better return and if something doesn't sell I can donate to a charity of my choice!

brennam1
3/5/15

It took a little while for my first bag to be processed, but once it was I was happy with the results. When I emailed to check on it I did receive a prompt reply. It's been fun to use the credit to order clothes since then. I like the idea of buying used clothing, I found this to be simpler than going to traditional consignment stores in my area, and it allows me to clean out my closet with less guilt.

kimbelrys
3/5/15

I just experienced the worst service and misleading advertising from this online consignment site. They had an offer that if you sent in your gently used handbags that you would get 100% consignment. I sent in two designer handbags that were in mint condition, Christian Dior Saddle Bag and a small, nylon Prada bag. I ensured that I met their stringent guidelines and sent them in with some other items. I received my payout and the handbags were omitted from the list of items accepted. I contacted the company thinking it was an oversight and I was sadly mistaken. I was told that my items were rejected because one of them had stains on it...not true and the Prada bag wasn't one of the styles they were selling. Again, untrue because they had the larger version on their site for sale...hmmmm. They sent me a picture of said "stains," but it was just a picture of a woman holding the bag against a wall...I didn't see any stains. So please learn from my experience and take pictures of any items that are valuable so you have proof of the condition of your products and also take their return assurance that is offered on each Clean Out Bag, but please keep in mind that you are not guaranteed your items will be returned to you. I am so upset over this situation and they are doing nothing to resolve the issue. Terrible customer service. I even offered to pay for my items to be returned to me and I was the items were "gone." So please be aware of this site. I wouldn't use it!

Tip for consumers: Buy the return assurance on the bag and take pictures of any valuable items so you can prove to them the condition of the items prior to sending them to this site.

ka7719
3/2/15

Thought this website would be great...sent in a ton of clean, some items with tags, etc. Got an email about a month later, saying 4 items were accepted and I made a whopping $5. WHAT?? I know I sent in clothes that were on the "accept" list...what the hell happened to the rest of my stuff? I think this site is a big rip off. Would rather just drop my stuff off at a local shelter and see the stuff get worn, not get ripped off by this company.

Tip for consumers: Run, don't use this site!!!

lauriew11
2/25/15

I have made numerous purchases from ThredUP and every experience was a positive one. They always process my orders quickly and I have been very pleased with the clothing items I have received. I have bought mainly children's clothing for my grandkids and they have loved all their new items. I have had few problems from ThredUP, but the few times I have received the wrong item or an item with a flaw they have handled it in a timely manner and I am always satisfied with the outcome. I will continue to purchase from this website. One happy customer!

deborahh30
2/24/15

I sent 1 full bag of clothing and 1 full bag of purses all in brand new condition and very clean.
The total I got back was about $13'00. I feel so ripped off. This store says they have a very high quality standard but what I found is that if what you send is not designer they don't want it. Don't waste your time, You would be better off selling each item on ebay. At least you would get what your clothes are worth. Oh also you can't call these people to ask any questions. Their message machine says they will get back to you and they never do.

Tip for consumers: Don't

heathera16
2/24/15

First time ordering from Thred up, nice design layout of website, I received 40% off my first order. The clothing while second hand, have not been ironed in any way, and are a crumpled mess. Also, from the point of ordering on Feb 9th, just today Feb 24th have I received an email informing me my order has shipped and shall be arriving on March 9th. I have ordered from Poshmark several times, and will be sticking with them instead of Thred up.

mallaryl
2/22/15

I have sold to TU many, many times. I appreciate a way to get rid of unwanted clothing, However, they have 'lost' things in the past (including brand new Keen shoes and three coats with the tags still on them.) I hate that they decide that something I send is "designer" and therefore is not included in the normal pay-out which forces me to keep checking the site to see if I have to re-call my item. I have "lost' some very expensive items that "expired" (and then just magically disappeared) I have repeatedly asked them NOT to designate my J Crew dresses as "designer" and just pay me at the lower rate so I don't have to keep checking back on the site and them "fighting" with them to get my dresses back. Lastly, I would NEVER buy anything on this site because Ebay has the same stuff, for much less money, with many more pictures and listings that often include, fabric content and complete measurements.

Tip for consumers: Avoid unless you are willing to accept any amount of money for your things. Do not expect speed or ever seeing your things again.

emmajanep
2/20/15

This website is extremely confusing and disorganized, and it will not give you $10 off your first order, even though it says it will. I do NOT recommend shopping here as I had a terrible experience.

juneb37
2/18/15

I enjoy not having to carry them around to take them to a store. Just put outside the door for pickup and no postage. I'm trying to earn extra money to be able to pay to add to my retirement. When I reclaimed my consignments, they were delivered so fast. I always send designer clothes and can't figure out how come I get so little and not more consigned. My items have price tags and some have never have been worn when you go up and down with your weight.

karenb104
2/17/15

I left a review here earlier about the chaos of sending in my ThredUp bag and it taking forever to get there & be processed - I think it took like 3 weeks to arrive via FedEx - when the snow WAS NOT a factor in this part of the country, after which I got an email saying it would take roughly a month to process what was in my bag. So... 7 weeks of waiting from the time I sent off the bag! Now I have the end result. After roughly 6 weeks in total, I finally got an email that I had a whopping $26.01 in my account - after they accepted 3 designer dresses and 1 top (all never worn). Are you freakin' kidding me? The going rates of what they sell are marked up considerably from what they give the seller. Don't be fooled by looking at prices offered. I sent in the 4 items as a test run and am glad I didn't fill the bag up - I would have lost everything. Do yourself a favor, sell on Ebay! I am thoroughly disgusted and will never recommend to anyone.

Tip for consumers: Go to Ebay instead!!!

ellenr9
2/15/15

I absolutely love Thredup!!!!!! I have purchased 7 or 8 times and each time I have been thrilled with the quality of my purchases. It is so much fun to see that polka dot box and know that the items inside will be beautifully folded and wrapped in tissue. I love that attention to detail that makes me feel special and appreciated. The website and checkout are so easy to navigate and that makes the whole shopping experience a joy. I have purchased clothes for the kids, shoes for myself and handbags. I tell everyone I know about Thredup because it's just that amazing. Thank you Thredup!!!!!!

jenniferw73
2/15/15

I truly enjoy shopping thredUP but the lag time between paying and receiving is more than 10 days, which feels like forever.

katee7
2/14/15

Sure the clothes are great and cheap but I've been waiting for my order to be delivered for almost FOUR WEEKS!!!!!! It took them a week to even mark my items as shipped then they estimated my delivery as 2/14. it hasn't arrived yet so I checked again and now they are saying 2/17??? Honestly for the hassle of waiting and waiting for my items I would rather shop elsewhere. I don't know how they conduct business this way. I wont be bothering again.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother unless you don't mind waiting a month for your order

tonyah6
2/11/15

I love being able to send clothes that we have outgrown or changing styles and get credit! I also love the clothes that I have purchased. Great quality!!

katyh7
2/9/15

My review is based on BUYING ONLY - I will never sell to them because I know the return for what you send in is not fair... you can do better with local consignment or group sales. That said, if you're looking for good boutique brands at a good price, check them out. I feel like they price their mid-market clothing a little too high - for example 4.99 for Old Navy pieces, sometimes they'd be 4.99 new! Their service is great, their app and website are easy to navigate, and their shipping is fair. I'm a longtime customer (since before the format change) and I'll continue to buy from them as long as the price is right.

christyh14
2/8/15

I was not happy with the way I received several emails regarding the bag of clothes I sent in to sell. The emails said how they were still working on checking my bag and that they were so busy. I got an email telling me that they could not accept any of my clothing for resale. I asked if I could have the clothes sent back to me and was told that I had to sign up for that before I sent the clothes. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau...

Christy

susans115
2/8/15

Their customer service is top notch. Love how the items come so well and cutely packaged. Sharing with friends and definitely a repeat customer. Thanks, ThredUp!

Tip for consumers: Zoom in so you can see the type of fabric well. Create your own shops so you have searches saved to the sizes, styles and colors you like.

tammyb26
2/5/15

Shopping on thread up is pretty good but selling to them is terrable! I sent in a bag about 3/4 full over a month ago and have gotten emails saying they are to busy with "overwelming" amounts of bags being sent in, I just received an offer to accept a pay out of only 20 dollars, and that's with out them even looking in my bag apparently. I will likely never try to sell to then again, you are better off selling to a brick N morter where you don't have to wait so long for payment. I understand that business grows and that can be unexpected but to offer only 20 dollars for a supposed unchecked bag seams shady to me.

jessicad33
2/2/15

Don't trust them to sell what you send in. I sent in purses, including two vintage Gucci crossbody bags and they only accepted two to sell. The reason for not accepting the other ones were, they already had too many in stock and the vintage bags were "used"! I will never sell with them again and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

justineh4
2/2/15

I love this website! So nice to find different clothing options, since I live in a small town, going to the nearest mall can be hard. I highly recommend it to all my friends!

amil32
2/2/15

I tell everyone I know about this site. I'm a single mom, I don't have the time/money to go to the thrift stores/consignment stores in my area. I've sold stuff with them, but honestly, now I just buy stuff and pass my hand me downs to other kids in my neighborhood. I have had zero problems selling/buying stuff. Now, I'm not a designer girl...so I just buy like, normal clothes, not the higher end stuff and other than one instance when I purchased the wrong size pants (my fault for not knowing my inseam, ha), every purchase has been great, both for my daughter and for me.
Also, I have purchased *small flaw* items? And really haven't been able to find the flaws. So, that's good..
I love the free shipping after $50, but even if I just purchase one or two items the shipping is super reasonable. I think amazon prime has spoiled me on shipping, but when I can get the same items from thred up for less INCLUDING the shipping...that's pretty darn sweet.

Tip for consumers: Sending your stuff in could be disappointing. I've only sent in kids clothes and my first bag I got a great return on, but the second, dang, it was not amazing. So, remember, it is a consignment shop, read the rules about the stuff you send. If you are in doubt, do something else with your clothes.

romainm30
2/1/15

I will never EVER use thredup to sell my clothes ever again. I have sent them about 6 bags full to the brim with new and like new designer women and children items. The first bag i sent i got a decent payout for so i thought that i would continue doing business with them. Long story short each bag i sent the payout became less and less to the point of where i started taking pictures of the items because i felt as though they may have been keeping some of my items for themselves I WARN YOU DO NOT! Send your items to thred up they said that they accept every item i sent but they would only post half of what i sent 10 or more items were always missing from my bag

cindys46
1/30/15

They rip me off a perfect new Dooney and Bourke because of "style" and refused to return my expensive bag even though I would pay for return.

Tip for consumers: they have high standards but apparently will refuse a perfect item for "style". If you send in a bag, ALWAYS ask return of items they reject!

christiem3
1/27/15

I love ThredUp. I have used them both to sell and to buy and have had great experiences with both. When you sell you do have to follow the instructions (only selling items in good or better condition in the brands they accept). Because they have high standards, you can buy with confidence that the items you receive will be top quality. If your items are stained, damaged, faded, etc. they aren't going to accept them - which I think is great! In insures quality items on the site for sale. You can cash out easily using paypal. It's super easy.

as2060
1/26/15

I stumbled on ThredUp last year and am so glad I did! I am a consignment shopper fan for both myself and kids, but as a busy working Mom rarely have the time to hit up the consignment stores on a regular basis and the selection at a traditional consignment store is limited based on when and where you go. ThredUp has a huge selection, great prices, great quality and I can shop at my convenience -- usually while multi-tasking :) Their return policy is fair, so I never have to worry if I don't like something. I have told all my friends about my great find!

Tip for consumers: Check back often or set up personal shop lists -- a feature on their site.

stephaniep25
1/26/15

I have never sent in clothes but I love to shop on there site I have ordered quite a few items they always get here with in the time limit ussually early. The items are either brand new or in great shape no complaints here. 75 dollar coat for 12 dollars 80 dollar boots that are the envy of all my friends for 10 dollars I can't complain at all. I know some people are upset that they don't tak all there clothes and I know that's were alot of the negative feedback is coming from but as a consumer this site is wonderfull.

Tip for consumers: remember there is ussualy only one of the item you want and there is no favorite button to save it and come back to it. So if you absolutley want it get it now.

bb85
1/25/15

I love ThredUP! Their selections to choose from is extensive, the prices are great and the clothes are in great condition. The only thing that I have been slightly disappointed with in the past is that the shipping takes quite a while. But, since they recently opened a warehouse on the East Coast (where I live), I'm hoping that will be remedied. Keep up the good work, ThredUp team!

Tip for consumers: As always when buying clothes online, be sure you know your correct size in that specific brand before purchasing.

robyng2
1/25/15

ThredUP is awesome. It is great that they sell mew and gently used. As a stay at home mom and also a full time in home daycare provider. I don't have to much time to my self. Or to even leave my house. As a mom of 3 kids. I am always looking for a good deal or bargain. ThredUP helps with the bargin shopping. I really do wish they would explain better ot take a photo when they lable the item(tiny flaw)

daleh32
1/23/15

i just purchaseda pair of grey suede guess boots and a pair of juicy pants. they arrived promptly and in excellent condition. you should consider shopping here. a great value at a great price. i will shop here again for sure.

sylviac13
1/19/15

I've been a customer of Thred Up for several years now and for the most part love it. It's convenient for this SAHM to shop online rather than take my little ones to the mall with me sometimes. I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of bags, kids clothes (boys and girls), women's shoes, designer bags, and women's clothing. I've also returned, had my complaints (sometimes I'd get kicked out of the site while shopping because item pics not downloading fast enough, missing items). I've also sold and learned to collect my sales through the PayPal process. Quality of most of the items are new or like new. Sometimes it's a fail and I get stuff that's not true to size. You need to know your clothing and shoe sizes in each brand named item when you shop to get an accurate sized item. A size 6 in one brand may not be the same size in another. But my husband is pretty amazed at my finds.

Tip for consumers: Know your size in each brand helps to avoid returns which can be a little hassle(having to repackage and send back).

jot22
1/18/15

I enjoy browsing through this site. There items offered are wide range. The items always arrive in the condition stated and the prices are fair. Free shipping is always a plus. Sometimes I will specify a category of clothing and instead of just showing that category other unasked for items will be included. How a blouse can be thrown it when you click on shoes is unknown. That is not something that happens too often and it won't deter me from this site but it has happened.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
jessicah27
A: I want to buy something from here,but i am very iffy about it. I have a 10$ off code and the shipping is only 2.99$ Good deal,but it seems too good to be true? Is this site 100% legit? Who has actually bought from here?
5/26/13
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP