US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 208 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 43 reviews)

jaquelinh

I've bought clothes for myself and my 95 year old mother on thredUP. (in 211 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

larryh41
10/31/14

Great site! Works well.

rachaelr3
10/30/14

I have sold (once, never again) and bought a good amount of times. I would have to say, as far as selling goes, don't bother. Id rather give the clothes to somebody in need than get pennies on the dollar from them.

When you buy clothes from them, I believe you have to be very careful as they use the manuf. price and not what the store sells it for. So, in reality you're not really saving what they make it out to be. All the clothes I have bought have been in VERY good condition. My biggest complaint is they codes that NEVER seem to work for me!

Tip for consumers: Know the brand you're buying and the true cost otherwise you might not get such a good deal.

rained
10/30/14

thredUP is an excellent shopping site. I've saved hundreds of dollars so far. Their prices are accurate and very reasonable for the items, and their descriptions are very accurate. I really like the filtering system and you can create saved searches and get notified when something new arrives that you may like. I do wish that you could mark your favorites because there are so many items it can be difficult to go back. Overall I recommend this site for anyone who loves fashion and saving money.

Tip for consumers: I add items to my cart even if I'm not sure if I am going to get them and then I just filter my choices at the checkout. It's so much easier than trying to find an item you want to go back and find.

theresao6
10/28/14

THIS SITE SUCKS! 0 STARS i would never recommend anyone to sell to or buy from this company. Better off donating and getting the write off yourself.

Tip for consumers: DONT DO IT

cb70
10/28/14

If I could give this site 0 stars, I would. Like so many other reviewers who have sold here, I learned that the site was a complete rip off. They say that they pay up to 80% on designer items. But that's not true. I sent in 6 Isabel Marant for H&M brand new with tags items, each worth at least $100 and being sold on eBay for at least as much, because they are limited edition under no longer available, yet, they paid me only a few dollars each and sold them for $25 each. This means that I made less than 5% of what they sold it for - which was a paltry 15-25% of its retail value!!! So, I made 3-5% of its CURRENT RETAIL VALUE!

That's HALF or less than I would have made if I taken them to a consignment store - even a notoriously stingy one like Buffalo Exchange, where one gets 30-50% of what they sell the item 4, which is 30% of its preceived current value!

The rest of my 3 bags were very similar. Almost everything was brand spanking new with tags, all of which were brands that are on their approved list.

Most from 2 bags were accepted & all sold almost immediately. Imediately!

But, they informed me that NONE of the contents of my third bag were acceptable! Yet, again, I had brand new with tags things that are on there accepted list in there, along with things like a brand new pair of hot, platform, high-heeled, stiletto gold Bebe shoes that I sadly, realized I couldn't bear after wearing them in my home at a dinner party, for only a few hours! How on earth could those be unacceptable?

So, for all three bags - stuffed to the brim w/ beautiful, 90% NWT, I received only $70 and a few cents - all upfront. What the hell?!

I wrote and told them that they had broken my heart, because I had ordered 7 more bags, in anticipation of sending them a bunch of gorgeous brand new & lightly used things, in an effort to make room in my closet. I was so thrilled to have found them! I was telling everybody about them. Now, I'm telling everyone to avoid them like the plague.

And the thing is, I write about fashion, style and shopping and have 45 years now. And when I get the chance, believe me, I'm going to write a blistering article about them. I was hoping to write a fantastic article recommending them, but, since the customer service response was also so lacking, it will be the former, and not the latter.

And I need to look into making sure they send that paltry payment to my PayPal account. Because there's no way in heck I'm going to buy on their site, giving them MORE, even though it clearly is the place to buy, not sell.

Tip for consumers: Don't sell here! Period.

mp49
10/28/14

I will never use this web site again!!Sent them 11 pairs of shoes ..they only bought 6 and paid me $83.00 the rest they said they are sending to charity but they shoes where in perfect condition and very expensive and you know they are re selling them. Terrible experience and dont sell to them

veronicat4
10/26/14

This site used to be good for buying clothes but it's always been terrible for consigning your clothes. I have bought and sold (mailed in my clothes) on this site. As for buying, things used to be priced well for used items and their return policy was good. This has all changed. When you place items in your cart, they will without notice jump up in price. Anywhere from .50 per item to $1.50 per item. When you're buying 10-20 items, it really adds up. In recent orders, several of my items where in poor condition (stains, bad wash & wear, holes), even though they were listed as "practically new". Obviously, they have some employees that aren't trained right or just don't care. It's a hassle and a disappointment when I have to send back an item I was really excited about, but at least I was able to return it with no problem. This has changed. All of their items are now marked as "final sale, no returns". Are you kidding me??!! This wouldn't be a problem buying at a regular store since you could examine the item before purchasing. This however, doesn't work for used items that are incorrectly labeled or poorly examined by employees. I'm definitely looking for another site to buy.
Selling: DON'T SELL ON HERE!!! They will literally give you $.05-.10 per high-end items in perfect conditions. Seriously, no joke! They are awful and terribly inconsistent. Again, poor training. You are better off selling anywhere else. Avoid at all costs.
Another thing, their customer service is hit or miss, sometimes you get acceptable service, other times you get a crappy representative that just doesn't care. Just pray that you get a good one. Or... Just avoid using this site,

Tip for consumers: Just save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

ruthw14
10/26/14

I would say this is a business that is going through some major growing pains and seems a bit disjointed if you are looking at them as an avenue to make extra money selling your clothes. The only thing I now will send into thred up is if i have a bag of NEW with tags clothing, otherwise.. I will NOT send in a thing. I use another company for that type of thing and they are more than fair.

As for buying, I like buying for the most part . Some prices have gone up significantly during their "growing pains" and for those reasons I have stopped buying as much as I once did, as I can find better deals at other places. Shipping to you is not bad at all. Time to process your bags I would rate as average, due to their expansion. Search function is nice. Customer service seems to be O.K.

As a whole I do not use the clean out bag function as I get better pricing and selection elsewhere. As a buyer, I am still buying a few things, but prices have gone up significantly, some to the point where I can buy the same item NEW other places for the same or lower price.

Hopefully they revise their selling model and go back to what worked for them before all of this major expansion happened.

Tip for consumers: Don't send in items unless they are PERFECT. Use a UV light to check for any stains and photograph your items when you send them in. Be prepared to buy back your things via return shipping. If you are not comfortable doing this, do NOT send in items.

marinar2
10/24/14

I purchased 9 items. Most of them were described as "practically new". A couple of them were described as having "a teeny flaw - a mark that will come out in the wash."

Here's what I found: 1 blouse was faded and missing a snap in front. One of the t-shirts had deodorant stains, smelled of BO and had 2 small, but pretty noticeable holes in the mid-back. There was a jacket that I loved when I tried it on in my dimly lit room - but when I saw it in the light of day - water stains (or something) down the entire right arm, the left breast and left pocket. And the price of the jacket - $137, described as practically new.

So yeah, I have to say. ThredUp is an experiment I won't be trying again.

Tip for consumers: Look very carefully over any items you purchase - don't assume the description of the condition is accurate.

saras56
10/24/14

I love getting my clothes through thredup. And if something doesn't work it is easy to return. Plus filling a polka dot bag with my stuff is a great feeling!

lisah90
10/24/14

Be very careful about returning items! They claim that shipping is free but in reality they are deducting part of you return. So if you paid $20 for a top, you are refunded $17. This really adds up over time. I have lost probably $50 in returns over the past year before I realized what they were doing.

carolynm19
10/24/14

I have purchased items and sold them through ThredUp. I have made close to $400. They are very particular when buying items which can be frustrating sometimes as a seller but when I am purchasing the items I am very happy they are so discriminating. Will continue to use ThredUp, especially when looking for special occasion outfits for my children.

christiep2
10/21/14

I've been obsessed with thredup for YEARS now. It's hands down the best way to shop. You can filter down to such a specific want, that it is almost impossible to not find what you're looking for. Shipping takes a week to get to Indiana which sucks, but it arrives in a pretty box and everything is so nicely put together. Main drawback is HOW LONG it takes to get funds/credit for your cleanout bag. It's actually ridiculous. It takes about a month.

alissas1
10/21/14

I think this website is great for bargains on great quality clothes and gives the opportunity for us to sell our own products on a huge viewed website. It's a win win, shop and sell all on the same account!!

Tip for consumers: Returns can be tricky, unless they changed it recently.

debbiee8
10/15/14

I am only giving this company 1 star because its a required field on this website. I sent a handbag to them in MINT condition (I only used it 3x) only to have them tell me it had a hole in it and some threads on it. I accepted their assessment (because I had no choice) and asked them to remove 12.99 from my account to send it back to me. It never came back. They somehow sent my bag to someone in California ( I live in Texas) and somehow could not find where my bag went.. it was just 'lost'. I feel that it had no intention on coming back to me (because I could then see that it was NOT damaged), but instead went to someone in the 'friend zone', and I wouldn't know the difference. I emailed the CEO of the company 3x and talked to support 3X and I couldnt seem to make them understand this issue. The CEO - on the final (third) email that i sent him - punted my request to support who gave me (once again) the canned answer. The CEO couldnt even apologize to me - just handed it off to a minion. I feel that their practices are deceptive and dishonest.

cassandrak2
10/15/14

I like it. I get the clothes I order relatively quickly. Although the last bag I sent was in the middle of a very busy time, they offered to pay a flat fee for the bag since they were unable to get to it in a reasonable time. The amount was very fair as far as I am concerned. I feel I get great deals. My only hold up is the fit for brands I don't usually buy. I usually try to stick with brands I know fit well, such as Old Navy. I recommend to friends. The inclusion of maternity clothes is a GREAT idea! I think the women's clothes is a good idea, but maybe a little over the top.

mollyd3
10/15/14

I sent in a bag crammed full of designer items- two of which I just bought from them a couple months ago and never wore. I checked and made sure they sold all of the brands/ similar items. A month later I get my payout and its 2.25! They took a belt and a tank top and chucked the rest of my clothes. I feel robbed! I will never shop there again.

Tip for consumers: The site is okay for buyers but don't bother selling to them unless you want to be angry!

laurah50
10/12/14

I love certain things about Thredup, while quite disappointed in others. First, disappointments: I had my eye on a pair of NYDJ crop pants and had put them in my cart-- priced at $13.99, but forgot to check out with in the 24 hour period. The following day, I went to buy them, only to find that they had more than DOUBLED in price -- now $28.49. I contacted customer service to ask why, and they said that market price for that brand had changed and they had to up the price. Ok, but more than double? That seems extreme. Similar NYDJ sell on TWICE.com for about $18. If they need to raise the price, it should only be a few dollars! Second disappointment: I cleaned out my closet and very carefully selected and sent only items on their accepted list that were in perfect condition. I sent in 20 items only to have 8 accepted, with a payout of about $10. So, not quite what I expected, but I would get rid of the clothes anyways, and it is nice to at least get a few dollars out of them. Lastly, their search options and item descriptions could be better... Sometimes I've had items in my cart and haven't check out in time, and finding them again can be quite the ANNOYING task. TWICE has measurements and colors in the item descriptions, which is super helpful. I bought a 100% cotton J Crew black blazer from Thredup that I thought appeared to be corduroy. It was actually velvet, which is still nice, but not what I expected.
Now for the positives: I love finding near new cloths for a great price. It's so nice to "thrift shop" in the comfort of my own home, knowing that all the clothes are going to be in great condition. It's so much easier than hunting at goodwill or similar for clothes. I love that they also sell kids and maternity clothes. I love their packaging. I love that I get free shipping if I spend $50. I wish they would offer coupons for returning customers a bit more frequently. Overall, I'll keep shopping with Thredup, despite some frustrations.

janea18
10/12/14

This site is perfect for people with kids! I hate spending so much money on clothes for my kids especially during a growth spurt. $20 for a shirt they will only wear once or twice is insane. They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. The only complaint I have is that sometime clothes are improperly sized ie I bought side 9 shoes and instead they were size 6. But that's just human error, for the most part it's an amazing idea and I always tell all of my friends about it.

valeriea2
10/9/14

As a buyer, I love this site. I can get great clothes for myself or my daughter. As a seller, I do not love this site. I've sent several bags of maternity clothes and kids clothes, only for them to take literally 4 garments out of the whole bag. They say they don't take certain brands but then I see them posted on their website still. Also, I've noticed recently there hasn't been quite the selection at least in my daughters size available lately. The selection is getting to be slim because they're so picky! I've also seen pleas to send in clothes because they're in need but I've decided not to waste my time packing up and sending clothes that they'll just donate and not buy.

lorenp3
10/7/14

Selling to Thredup.com: JUST DON'T DO IT! It might seem like an easy, convenient way to get rid of your no longer used clothing, but you will most likely be disappointed. It will take thredup about a month just to process your clothing bag and let you know about your meager payout. Then you must wait an additional two weeks to claim your money minus a 2% Paypal fee. I sent in a full bag of high end designer clothing (brand names including: Salvatore Ferragamo, Miu Miu, J Crew, Theory, etc.) and just a handful were accepted. On just how ridiculous this is, the Miu Miu boots were brand new $800 (I had to get rid of because I got the wrong size and could no longer return) shoes that I figured would for sure be accepted because of their perfect high end condition... but no these classic boots were somehow out of style and donated because I had forgotten to pay $15 for the return option. I emailed Thredup support about this matter, and although they were quick in responding they basically told me I was SOL. Instead of my high end, brand new items being accepted, Thredup thought it was a good idea to accept the couple of cheap fast fashion items I threw in as an afterthought from Target and Forever 21.

I have also sold to liketwice.com, and although the payout is a little low, the overall experience was better than Thredup in every conceivable way: I don't have to wait for a 'polka dot bag' in the mail to send my stuff to Twice, they process my clothing items quickly and fairly, I can get my payout immediately without an extra fee or choose to get more money for in store credit, or I can decide AFTER seeing the offer if I want my clothing back for a fair fee. Overall, though if you have the time, ebay would be the best bet for getting the most $ for your clothing. I know that I WILL NEVER SELL OR BUY FROM THREDUP .COM EVER AGAIN.

Tip for consumers: Selling to Thredup.com: JUST DON'T DO IT!

anneh27
10/5/14

Maybe this site is OK for buyers, but sellers STAY AWAY. This is a serious scam. I came across a recommendation for this site from a blogger, so thought I would give it a try since I had some clothes I was weeding out of my closet that were brand new or only worn once. I checked each item to make sure it was a brand and size they accepted.

They paid up front for about half the items, but did not accept the other half, including items like a new-with-tags J Jill silk blouse. I followed up with them because I assumed there was a mistake. They sent me an item-by-item reason for non-acceptance of the items they “didn’t take.” Each one was completely phony.

For example “not current style” … for a pair of new-with-tags slacks that were purchased within the last two years and are still sold on the LL Bean (a brand they said they accept) website. Or “not current style” for a pair of Vionic sandals that were the same (same style, same size, different color) as a pair they *did* accept (both new). The new J Jill silk blouse was allegedly rejected due to “brand not accepted” … even though it was listed as an accepted brand, and there were J Jill items for sale on the website! And so on. Their guidelines on what they accept are completely phony, and I find it very hard to believe they do not sell (somewhere) or otherwise benefit from some of the “non-accepted” items, since in my case they were the most valuable among the items I sent.

Checking around since, I see that there are tons of similar complaints from sellers. Wish I'd seen them first. I was so burned by this place that I now have no faith in on-line consignment in general. From now on, I’ll just donate my clothes and let the local thrift stores benefit.

alexisj11
10/2/14

I sent a bag of items to be sold, and while some were accepted, I opted for the Return Assurance and had the rest sent back to me. SO many garments were MISSING! I was appalled.

renas1
10/2/14

It's fun to pick out clothes from this site. My oldest is a teenage girl, so she really enjoyed that. But sometimes items are not in the correct category. For example, I ordered several school shirts for my boys and almost half were actually for girls (they buttoned the other way). It was annoying, but ThredUp paid the return shipping on them and refunded me.
It would also be helpful if dresses and skirts had a length listed, some of them do and some of them don't so it's hard to know how they'll fit.

I have had success as a seller too. I've sent in 3 bags so far, 2 have been processed already and I'm happy with the amount they paid. You do have to be very careful to check which brands are accepted by them or you'll be disappointed. And keep in mind the actual processing of a bag takes a long time. It takes over 2 weeks to get to their warehouse (we live in NY and they're in CA) and another 2 weeks for them to go through it. So you need patience.

amyh48
10/2/14

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1998, but with my now-teenage son competing in ice dance, I just don't have the time anymore to list, sell and manage clothing listings, but still need to get them sold to pay for all his ice time and coaching fees. I was admittedly a bit skeptical about Thredup's cleanout bag service when I heard about it, especially since I saw quite a few negative reviews.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how things worked out! They accepted almost all the items in my bag, gave me a more than fair price for them, and were meticulous in their listings. Any small flaw, no matter how microscopic, was mentioned in their listings, so if you are buying items, you really will be getting EXACTLY what is described. I'm now getting another bag ready to send with my high end designer pieces.
Thank you!

kristins14
10/1/14

My friends and I love shopping with thredUP! We can get great deals on the brand names we love. The clothing is always in great condition, even though it is second hand. I also love, love, love the way they package the clothing. It comes in a cute box and wrapped up perfectly!

erind18
9/30/14

For me, the whole thredup experience has been great!
Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. Plus picking out new-to-me clothes is great fun - especially the moment they arrive, which is always quicker than I expect. My kids get excited when they see a polka dot box arrive too because they're is always something for them inside. Return policy is no-hassle as well!

hollyi2
9/30/14

I just purchased two coach bags from the website. First of all, one was marked practically new no flaws. - that one was fine.
However the other bag said minor flaw - scratch you can't even see etc. The entire leather bottom of bag is scratched, smells like smoke and had dirt in the pockets. Obviously someone isn't doing their job, I would have never purchased this bag had I known what damage it had, They should show pictures of the actual damage, as well as of the inside of the bag.

Tip for consumers: Double and triple check everything you read, and look elsewhere for a bag.

kimberlyp14
9/26/14

**Review & Rating of Thredup's service for SELLING**

Hi Review Readers

I am a first time user of Thredup. I followed all instruction per Thredup's Terms of Service & here is my review.

Payouts for 4 bags were as follows:

Bag 1: $97.00
2: $3.00
3. $39.00
4. $21.00

I also have $320.00 of consignment, (crossing fingers)

All & all, I am very happy with my payouts, considering the little effort that was needed..

Pack bags, ship at no cost, make a little profit. Simple.
---------

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? This isn't a get-rich-quick service, it's a THRIFT store, selling mostly USED clothes, at NO expense to the seller.

My advise to those who are leary about selling items because if all the negative reviews.....READ THE DAMN TERMS OF SERVICE, UNDERSTAND THEM, (ask questions if not) BEFORE, yes, I said "BEFORE YOU USE THREDUP'S SERVICE.

Every negative review I have read (concerning selling items only), to me, were not legit & could have been avoided.

Mad about not receiving any money for Talbot items??
It's because they DO NOT ACCEPT ANY ITEMS FROM TALBOTS.
How do I know this?????
Because I took the time to READ before using this service.

My Tip?

1. Do your RESEARCH first,
2. UNDERSTAND all Terms of Service
3. ASK questions, if needed. ( I did, and the customer service is great)
4. After using service try and SOLVE any issues/concern
5. THEN REVIEW any/all complaints, so others can read LEGIT reviews & ratings

***Hopefully this was helpful and you make yourself a little extra cash, that IS the intention.***
~~~~~~~~

--Kimberly

melissaw19
9/26/14

This is a great site for ordering clothes from. You'll get amazing deals and the referral bonuses are just awesome! However, I just went through my first selling issue with them. Bag full of clothing I could've sold on ebay, some were new with tags! They only accepted 4 of my items (none of the new with tags ones) and paid me less than $3 for it! What a ripoff! Never again! Will be trying TWICE next.

Tip for consumers: Use this site only to buy from

shandas1
9/25/14

As A buyer - It is freaking awesome! You get great buys and your items arrived nicely packaged.

Pros: Great prices, quality pieces, easy seach tools, & wide variety of items.
Cons: Shipping is more than a little slow, weird new customer policies, and limit on how many items you can order at once! For example: *f you place a large order (i.e. over $100) they will do this weird thing and ask you if you are sure you want your order like a week after your order...which happened to me the first time I ordered. Because I hadn't adjusted my email settings this went to my junk mail folder and because they had taken my money and they had said the order was on the way I thought nothing of it. Well in that email they required I respond or they would canel my order. Well you guessed they canced my 25 items! =-( When I found out they were mopstly all gone!

However as a seller: JUST DON"T. I actually had to file a BB complant. I lost money selling to them...I actualy owed them money sending in two large bags stuffed with items that were mostly new, many with tags on them with prices 50-60 each. All items that were on their approved list.because they offered me so little the 13 bucks for return asurance didn't even cover what they offered! And they of course every single item with a tag! But offered me litterally pennies for them. After trying to work with them and then finally getting no where and filing with BBB they then claimed they would pull all items that haden't been sold and return to me. However 5 days after that I was still getting emails saying "Congrats another item from your bag has sold!" WTH! I will NEVER sale to them again they are not only practicing shady business they are straight up dishonest!

Stick to TWICE clothing to sale to, they have awesome customer service and give you and OFFEr for your clothing and you can say yes or no. If you want your clothing back they will send ALL OF IT BACK TO YOU for 5 bucks!

Tip for consumers: Use to buy ONLY. It's great for buying. If you sale you will most def wished you had went to another company or just given to Good Will.

joannd8
9/24/14

I sent for two bags and filled them with various items some with tags. I received $11 for one bag and $12 for the other. One bag had two new pairs of shoes and a new pair of leather boots. WHAT A RIPOFF! Won't hear from me again. Could have donated for better results.

Tip for consumers: Don't send them anything to sell.

heathern8
9/20/14

I've always had great results when ordering from them. I don't like that they don't list the materials the items are made of though. Some times it's hard to tell from the photos. But all in all, it's great. I just received a box today. Super cute and all the items are in great shape. I do agree with previous reviews about the clean out bag. They don't really give you much for your items. But if it's something you were getting rid of anyway, why not! The cloths aren't doing anything by hanging in mine and my kids closets. So why not send them in!

sammys15
9/20/14

I absolutely love thredup! I have been 100% happy with every order I have placed! I receive everything in time too.

Tip for consumers: I set my filters so I see lowest price first! Let's me see the bet deals! :)

pamg9
9/19/14

I felt as though the items had been stolen from me!
Usually I do not write negative reviews however I would like to warn others about Thredup.
If you are not ready to just throw your belongings away in the garbage and receive nothing for them, then avoid this site!

Tip for consumers: Beware!

dawnm30
9/18/14

I have completed two purchases and sent in 3 clean-out bags. I am happy with the purchases I have made, and the return policy is fair. Just know you have to pay return shipping. I had acceptable results with two of my clean-out bags. The highest bag yeilded $70. . But the last bag i sent in did not payout as i had anticipated ($37). Out of 15 items only 5 were accepted. I had sent in a black wool Brooks Brothers blazer, A Grey wool, Ann Taylor loft brown/blue window plaid wool blazer, A Charter Club Ikat blazer, Gap printed button dress shirt, Brooks Brothers blazer,Armani blazer (retail $1200)and a NWT ($100 retail) silk taffeta blackwatch plaid holiday skirt from Talbots. None of those items were accepted, among others. I work in retail and know that having a "third piece" ie. blazer, jacket, sweater... completes an outfit. Especially in fall/winter.To my own fault i did not opt for return assurance ($13). I had written the company and their response (10 days later)was that they have a "Surplus" of items and they update the "Acceptable" items page 30 days in advance....but it takes 3 weeks to ship, accept and process a bag. I am most upset about the Armani blazer, a similar one is currently listed as a consignment piece $293. So basically, another ThredUp consignee will earn almost $150 when that item sells....and i get NOTHING, not even my blazer back. So in conclusion, it seemed to me it depends on timing and who is processing your bag. And you may want to purchase the $13 "ASSURANCE"....and hope you earn more than that in your acceptable pieces. Good luck....i have sent in one more bag...we will see what happens. I may be finished with Thred Up and try Twice.com.

reneeb15
9/16/14

I have bought NUMEROUS times from them and love everything I get. There are some things I am not happy about and I will share them here. First, I believe there needs to be all sizes in kids. I like looking at items smaller than 12 months. I also wish they would try to sell items as a set and not so many individual things. Second, some things are not labeled correctly. Whether this be is labeled as a dress (when it is a top) or the wrong brand, they need to be careful when listing an item. Last, when you get "credit" for someone ordering something from your link you should be getting "Your credit is about to expire." No where did I read that any credit expires. I even won a $50 gift card and they kept sending my messages that it was about to expire.
I have never sold anything to them and never plan on doing so because I hear nothing but horror stories and see what the seller gets for the items (which is pennies on the dollar). I've only had one problem with a return but they paid for the return (it was listed as Gymboree and it wasn't) and that went smoothly.

karenh50
9/16/14

I have loved selling to and buying from thredUp.com. They purchased my items at a fair price and the quality of the merchandise that I have purchased from them exceeds my expectations. I highly recommend using thredUp.com when cleaning out your closet.

melissac39
9/12/14

I love this site! It's nice to be able to buy affordable, good quality clothes and also get credit for clothes I don't need anymore. I also love it for outfits I will only wear once for a special occasion. It saves time and money!

denisel17
9/10/14

A terrific site for buying gently-used clothing for women and children. I also use it to clean out my own closet once or twice per year. My only complaint is the lack of a shipping arrangement for returns.

elenat
9/7/14

I'm really really happy with thred up. I have placed several orders and sold two bags full of stuff with two more bags on their way to be.It's a great, easy way to clean out and update my closet with some new pieces. My only disappointment would be in the amount of the payout for items taken. $32 for 11 items? But I guess that's the nature of consignment and I'm happy (very happy) with the prices I buy things for, so with that in mind, if it's in effort to keep selling prices low, it's all good. Everything is always as described, and the one time I had to return a few items, it was a size and style preference, not quality.

Tip for consumers: Stick with one or two brands that you love and know your sizes/ fit very well. It help to limit the thousands of things to look at and reduce style/fit/size related returns.

jaquelinh
9/7/14

I've bought clothes for myself and my 95 year old mother on thredUP. My mother is in a wheelchair and lives in a nursing home, so it's hard for her to go shopping. She always loved to shop, so now I bring my iPad and we shop threUP! It's great fun for her. I recently ordered 3 skirts for her for a grand total of $27! She loves them all. I bought several gorgeous shirts and sweaters for myself from thredUP. I'm super impressed!

debbied16
9/6/14

I have purchased from thredup multiple times and have never been disappointed. I love being able to find clothes for my children at such low prices. Especially name brand clothing that has definitiv multiple pieces of clothing for each line.

tarab18
9/2/14

I've been very pleased with my purchases from thredUP! Great quality pieces for reasonable prices! I do wish they put a little more detail in the description on the product pages, sometimes it's difficult to see what the fabric of the product actually is.

Tip for consumers: Check out a discount code for first time orders!

ashleys66
8/31/14

I love buying clothes through thred up... No problems so far. HOWEVER, I ordered a cleanout bag a month ago and filled it full of clothes, including 2 BRAND NEW shoes still in the boxes never worn with the tissue still in it, plus a few clothes with tags still on them.. A total of 24 items. Finally last week I received my payout... They accepted only 13 of the 24 items I sent... And they were all the forever21 and old navy clothes!!! $22.00 was my payout...what a ripoff!! I looked at my list of what they accepted and my NWT clothes weren't even on there!!! Why wouldn't they accept a brand new shirt from NY&Company? If they sell all my clothes (according to what they priced them as) they stand to make $125. I didn't even receive a third of that!! Makes no sense... Has anyone else wondered WHY they have clothes on for sale on their website that are clearly from 1999? You know what I mean... Fuzzy cropped sweaters, ribbed turtle necks and 1999 mom shirts?! I took this into consideration when I sent in my clothes.. Thinking oh yeah they'll accept pretty much everything if they accepted this paisley turtleneck!! Clothes from banana republic and j.crew from 1999. Do not be fooled! Who knows where my clothes went.. Next time I'm sending my clothes to goodwill.. I'd be much happier knowing now that my clothes went to someone that will appreciate them. I wasn't even going to cash out my payout.. I was looking forward to buying clothes from them because I haven't had the funds to really splurge on a new wardrobe. $&@%#

Tip for consumers: Do not sell to them!

jillianc2
8/30/14

I was so surprised to see all of the negative reviews. I have purchased items from them and have been satisfied. Except for having to pay shipping to return items it was very easy. I have also sold to them twice and been satisfied. I have double checked to make sure they are accepted brands and are in good condition. I've sent maybe 10 items and they've purchased 7 or 8. I've taken my clothing to resale shops and have gotten more money from thredup than they were willing to give.

juliap12
8/29/14

As a buyer, I am pretty happy with this site.

I decided to try thredUP because I'm tired of not being able to find my size at the local thrift shops. The items I ordered were in perfect, like-new condition - and with the discounts, were cheaper than thrift shopping!

The only disappointing item was a sweater that was listed as a regular XS, but was actually a petite XS. I'm not petite, so it fits kind of funny - but at this price, I'll make it work.

Unlike some online resellers, this site doesn't list specific measurements beyond inseams. For my orders, I'll stick to brands I already know, and avoid brands with inconsistent sizing. I was also sort of disappointed that the mobile app only works on newer versions of the Android OS - I guess it's for people who are thrifty with their clothes, but not with their tech!

Tip for consumers: Shipping can take a bit - order clothes two weeks before you need them!

cathym28
8/27/14

Absolutely never using again. I sent in 5 items of clothing all new (one even with tags still attached). Mint condition, no stains and all great brands that the website says they accept. I was given $.85 for one shirt that was worth well over at least $30 and they did not accept anything else. This was a complete waste of my time and now money. You would have better luck selling your clothes online yourself or going to a thrift store. I cannot even cash out the stupid $.85 because you need to have a minimum balance to cash out. This website is a scam and everyone should stay away. They did not even give me reasons for not accepting the clothing. HORRIBLE BUSINESS! I bet they probably took everything and are selling it and not telling us.

Tip for consumers: sell online, have a garage sale, use apps like Vinted or others to sell your clothing. ThredUp is a scam and does horrible business.

debg4
8/26/14

I too have had a positive experience purchasing a few items from Thredup. This encouraged me to try selling, and this has been quite a different matter. I sent in two bags, one contained Cole Haan and Rangoni shoes and a pair of brand new Report Signature rhinestone covered boots still in their box (featured item on many fashion sites). I emailed Thredup about their acceptance of these items and was told to use their “Return Assurance” feature. For a $12.99 fee, what ever it is they don't accept, these items will be returned to you. I did so and guess what? I received an email informing me that they had not accepted anything from this bag and since there was no “credit” to deduct the fee from, my items would not be returned to me! I was stunned. I believed that I would be notified to “go to checkout” and pay the fee. I have written several follow-up emails, no response. How legitimate can this be? Thredup does the “evaluation” of items, deems the items “unsuitable,” then disposes of the items as they see fit, even though the contents of the bags were identified for return?! Like another poster's experience, it wouldn't surprise me to see the boots show up on Ebay. My second bag is still being processed. Two weeks have passed and since the horrible experience with the shoes, I have grave concerns. This bag contained 25 items. (I included an inventory of the items in the return bag.) Christian Dior, Eileen Fisher, Lafayette 148, Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, etc. many are silk, cashmere items. All in such excellent condition that when I sent them I was confident that most would be accepted and did not identify the bag for Return Assurance. Obviously, have learned since then that this doesn't make any difference. But, still feel pretty dumb for not doing so. Had I, there might have been some chance of getting something back. In theory it sounds like a great idea to be able to clean out your closet with the convenient, cute “no cost” bag, but in reality that is the hook. We are all busy, the bag makes it convenient and the idea of making a little money from little used items seems like a win-win. In reality, Thredup ends up with sellable items for pennies, (if that) on the dollar. Their buying practices are suspect. I feel like my items were stolen from me by what seems to be a rigged “return assurance” policy. I will take the advice of a previous poster and contact the District Attorney's Office. Wouldn't it be a good thing if one of the local news shows' consumer advocates did a story to expose all this? Lesson learned...if I am going to consign, I'll make the effort with a bricks and mortar store. At least you know immediately what they are taking, you take or donate the rest. With Thredup, you might as well have just given away your items. Problem is you are left feeling totally ripped off.

amyj17
8/26/14

Like many others reviews-I sent some items literally NEVER worn in new condition. They accepted about 1/4 of those items even though they were listed as items they accepted. No reason otherwise to not accept them. They gave me a whopping 11 dollars for one bag and 20 for the other- They were filled with about 40 items... They gave no explaination as to why they wouldn't accept the items.
Another thing. I tried to send a friend "share 20 dollars". They track your data. My friend lives next door and they said that I already had accounts.

I really DO NOT recommend this site. Others are little better from my experience. They are shady and I am wondering where my clothes are. Are they donating for a tax write off or are they reselling them anyway or are they selling them to other sites... This is VERY shady.

Why do you have to pay 12 dollars for return when they know good and well they are going to offer you less.

Tip for consumers: Dont shop here.

4 Photos for thredUP