US Government's NSF

support@thredup.com

315 Reviews for thredUP

▼ Sort by: recent

8/31/14

I love buying clothes through thred up... No problems so far. HOWEVER, I ordered a cleanout bag a month ago and filled it full of clothes, including 2 BRAND NEW shoes still in the boxes never worn with the tissue still in it, plus a few clothes with tags still on them.. A total of 24 items. Finally last week I received my payout... They accepted only 13 of the 24 items I sent... And they were all the forever21 and old navy clothes!!! $22.00 was my payout...what a ripoff!! I looked at my list of what they accepted and my NWT clothes weren't even on there!!! Why wouldn't they accept a brand new shirt from NY&Company? If they sell all my clothes (according to what they priced them as) they stand to make $125. I didn't even receive a third of that!! Makes no sense... Has anyone else wondered WHY they have clothes on for sale on their website that are clearly from 1999? You know what I mean... Fuzzy cropped sweaters, ribbed turtle necks and 1999 mom shirts?! I took this into consideration when I sent in my clothes.. Thinking oh yeah they'll accept pretty much everything if they accepted this paisley turtleneck!! Clothes from banana republic and j.crew from 1999. Do not be fooled! Who knows where my clothes went.. Next time I'm sending my clothes to goodwill.. I'd be much happier knowing now that my clothes went to someone that will appreciate them. I wasn't even going to cash out my payout.. I was looking forward to buying clothes from them because I haven't had the funds to really splurge on a new wardrobe. $&@%#

Tip for consumers: Do not sell to them!

8/30/14

I was so surprised to see all of the negative reviews. I have purchased items from them and have been satisfied. Except for having to pay shipping to return items it was very easy. I have also sold to them twice and been satisfied. I have double checked to make sure they are accepted brands and are in good condition. I've sent maybe 10 items and they've purchased 7 or 8. I've taken my clothing to resale shops and have gotten more money from thredup than they were willing to give.

8/29/14

As a buyer, I am pretty happy with this site.

I decided to try thredUP because I'm tired of not being able to find my size at the local thrift shops. The items I ordered were in perfect, like-new condition - and with the discounts, were cheaper than thrift shopping!

The only disappointing item was a sweater that was listed as a regular XS, but was actually a petite XS. I'm not petite, so it fits kind of funny - but at this price, I'll make it work.

Unlike some online resellers, this site doesn't list specific measurements beyond inseams. For my orders, I'll stick to brands I already know, and avoid brands with inconsistent sizing. I was also sort of disappointed that the mobile app only works on newer versions of the Android OS - I guess it's for people who are thrifty with their clothes, but not with their tech!

Tip for consumers: Shipping can take a bit - order clothes two weeks before you need them!

8/27/14

Absolutely never using again. I sent in 5 items of clothing all new (one even with tags still attached). Mint condition, no stains and all great brands that the website says they accept. I was given $.85 for one shirt that was worth well over at least $30 and they did not accept anything else. This was a complete waste of my time and now money. You would have better luck selling your clothes online yourself or going to a thrift store. I cannot even cash out the stupid $.85 because you need to have a minimum balance to cash out. This website is a scam and everyone should stay away. They did not even give me reasons for not accepting the clothing. HORRIBLE BUSINESS! I bet they probably took everything and are selling it and not telling us.

Tip for consumers: sell online, have a garage sale, use apps like Vinted or others to sell your clothing. ThredUp is a scam and does horrible business.

8/26/14

I too have had a positive experience purchasing a few items from Thredup. This encouraged me to try selling, and this has been quite a different matter. I sent in two bags, one contained Cole Haan and Rangoni shoes and a pair of brand new Report Signature rhinestone covered boots still in their box (featured item on many fashion sites). I emailed Thredup about their acceptance of these items and was told to use their “Return Assurance” feature. For a $12.99 fee, what ever it is they don't accept, these items will be returned to you. I did so and guess what? I received an email informing me that they had not accepted anything from this bag and since there was no “credit” to deduct the fee from, my items would not be returned to me! I was stunned. I believed that I would be notified to “go to checkout” and pay the fee. I have written several follow-up emails, no response. How legitimate can this be? Thredup does the “evaluation” of items, deems the items “unsuitable,” then disposes of the items as they see fit, even though the contents of the bags were identified for return?! Like another poster's experience, it wouldn't surprise me to see the boots show up on Ebay. My second bag is still being processed. Two weeks have passed and since the horrible experience with the shoes, I have grave concerns. This bag contained 25 items. (I included an inventory of the items in the return bag.) Christian Dior, Eileen Fisher, Lafayette 148, Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, etc. many are silk, cashmere items. All in such excellent condition that when I sent them I was confident that most would be accepted and did not identify the bag for Return Assurance. Obviously, have learned since then that this doesn't make any difference. But, still feel pretty dumb for not doing so. Had I, there might have been some chance of getting something back. In theory it sounds like a great idea to be able to clean out your closet with the convenient, cute “no cost” bag, but in reality that is the hook. We are all busy, the bag makes it convenient and the idea of making a little money from little used items seems like a win-win. In reality, Thredup ends up with sellable items for pennies, (if that) on the dollar. Their buying practices are suspect. I feel like my items were stolen from me by what seems to be a rigged “return assurance” policy. I will take the advice of a previous poster and contact the District Attorney's Office. Wouldn't it be a good thing if one of the local news shows' consumer advocates did a story to expose all this? Lesson learned...if I am going to consign, I'll make the effort with a bricks and mortar store. At least you know immediately what they are taking, you take or donate the rest. With Thredup, you might as well have just given away your items. Problem is you are left feeling totally ripped off.

8/26/14

Like many others reviews-I sent some items literally NEVER worn in new condition. They accepted about 1/4 of those items even though they were listed as items they accepted. No reason otherwise to not accept them. They gave me a whopping 11 dollars for one bag and 20 for the other- They were filled with about 40 items... They gave no explaination as to why they wouldn't accept the items.
Another thing. I tried to send a friend "share 20 dollars". They track your data. My friend lives next door and they said that I already had accounts.

I really DO NOT recommend this site. Others are little better from my experience. They are shady and I am wondering where my clothes are. Are they donating for a tax write off or are they reselling them anyway or are they selling them to other sites... This is VERY shady.

Why do you have to pay 12 dollars for return when they know good and well they are going to offer you less.

Tip for consumers: Dont shop here.

8/23/14

If I could right now I would give a ZERO rating. I had sent in 3-4 bags previously, and I did have my expensive items returned. For some reason my bag return assurance did not get added to my last bag of items, and I had emailed stating I thought it was included since I recall adding it on the website. I had had a response stating that it was not included but could be added on. So I thought everything was fine. I had to leave town to visit family was gone for three weeks, came home and decided I should ask about my bag since I had noticed I had not made much and I had had some very sentimental and expensive items in that bag that I needed to sell. I probably had around $1000 worth of red leather in a purse, briefcase, and jacket from Paris along with shoes from Anthropologie. I myself work in retail and had seen this company on the TODAY show, which I am now considering contacting since they should not have promoted this company. I am so upset I had items that my now deceased mother gave me that I had sent in since I need the funds. My grandmother told me to call the BBB so I did, and looked them up online and to my surprise have seen all of the negative reviews. I called the BBB and they told me to call the DA in SF. So I did. I was not going to post this yet, but I have decided to. If anyone has a formal complaint it needs to be in writing and sent to:
SF DA Consumer protection unit 732 Brannan Street SF CA 94109. The more letters they get the more will get done. I expect compensation from ThredUP, no ifs ands or buts. So if James here, gets to see my review, I expect that you are going to do the right thing before you have a huge class action lawsuit. You messed up with the wrong person. And I am absolutely APPALLED that I am reading that your company does not donate to non profits and instead to other resellers. Disgusting.

8/22/14

I recently sent on a bag of clothes with a third of them with tags. The brands were top knotch...Anne Taylor, jones ny, etc.
They rejected the entire bag! What the heck is going on here...luckily I took pictures of my clothes before I sent them in...I will have someone check this out...I am now out about $1000.

I gather from the responses here that ThredUp is not quite honest with their customers!!

Tip for consumers: Ado not send in expensive clothes....they reject them...

8/21/14

I had already sent in my clothes and got my payout when I decided to check out reviews. Found a dress they did not "accept"/pay me for, for sale in their ebay store for 65.00. Um, yeah, way cheesy and lame, at least if you're gonna take my dress, not pay me for it, and then sell it, give it to one of your employees to sell it covertly (not like that'd be any better). But no, lo and behold, right there on the thred up ebay store. Yeah, I will be taking my payout after 14 days and not coming back.

Tip for consumers: you won't be paid for your expensive items, they will be 'donated' aka SOLD for their own profit

8/20/14

the WORST site ever for a Seller. They flat out steal you higher end pieces and pay only for the cheaper clothes, sometimes they only buy a couple of those and keep ALL your nice clothes.They flat out steal them.
Never never send them anything over the value of 10.00..NEVER...They will steal it and say its not good enough for their site BUT youll see it for sale anyway on their EBAY store or even on Thredup YET you did not get a dime...this happens over and over and over TO SO MANY PEOPLE., I do not send or buy anything from them now,,nothing...I lost about 600.00 dollars worth of clothes, never got paid. I do not understand WHY the BBB has not shut them down, makes me second guess the BBB too..The CEOS of this company are just some spoiled rich kids that never worked a day..(real work anyway), Mom and Dad paid for everything no doubt..., NO Ethics, i think the parents forgot to teach that.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT SEND THEM CLOTHES...read all reviews everywhere, make sure they are not glowing Thredup reviews in disguise.Read their Face Book where it say post to page...tons of complaint there too...

8/19/14

I have used this company since it was a "box of clothes trading site" with other parents. That was a risk and it was certainly a "box of chocolates." To be clear, I do not sell my items to them, since I can do that in my own town with a face to face person telling my why they want or do not want my stuff - and I can haggle (that is important). From ThredUP, I only buy children's clothing, and I have been very happy in the last couple of years. Name brands like Gymboree and Baby Gap at low prices. I have received some of the cutest clothes for my toddler daughter (now she's 4), my young son (now he is 7), and I now have a 6 month old boy so I can look at the baby stuff again.

Tip for consumers: If you sell, be ready for them to dump your stuff as they are looking at it from the perspective of "will it sell" and "for how much?" Just use the site for cute stuff and sell if you are ready to donate anyway and just want to make a little money on it instead.

8/18/14

Of the Lightly Used Online clothing options thredUP is definitely my favorite. I only wish that their iPad app would rotate (horizontal view instead of vertical only) so that I could use it with more ease when using my keyboard with the iPad. Also, I wish the App would let me access the item through my cart, it seems I can't get into the details of the item listing anymore once I have put it in my cart to buy. I do not recall if it is this way on the actual website but it is rather a pain on the App. I believe the clothes are accurately described and I really like the way they are displayed on mannequins on the site. I've never been disappointed with the description versus what arrives. I love the way the clothes arrive in a cute little box and appreciate the care taken to wrap it all up. I've received clothes from other sites that provide less information, shoddy packaging, and it just feels 2nd hand as opposed to when I receive items from thredUP it feels like I'm buying Brand New! The extra care taken is definitely worth it and helps me coming back for more!

Tip for consumers: Until recently I didn't know there was a return option. Definitely check out the terms if you are concerned that you don't know your size etc. Also, if you see a brand and are not sure about the size just Google that brand's size chart as it will help you ascertain whether you are in the right ballpark in terms of measurements.

8/16/14

I love Thredup! I love that I am buying clothes secondhand, rather than contributing to the consumerist culture by buying new-new-new. Thredup has great prices and is liberal with it's credits and promo codes so my purchases are always affordable. I've restocked my business casual wardrobe for single bills because of the affordability of Thredup's selection. With free returns, it makes shopping for clothes for myself so convenient when I can fit it in between work and family and extracurricular commitments by multitasking. No business is perfect, and you have to read the fine print, but I am grateful for this store!

8/15/14

Zero stars. A total scam.
I sent in a bag the first time without reading all of the specifications as to what they "wanted", meaning designer, new items, with tags, or gently used. So after a very disappointing first transaction, I decided to give it another try six months later. I reread the instructions as to what exactly to mail in. I sent Michael Kors pants, with tags, a Tahari sweater, with tags, Theory trousers, a designer dress, with tags, and Old Navy jeans with tags. Of the nearly 10-12 items I sent, they "accepted" two-- the dress, and the JEANS from Old Navy. I emailed the support desk, which is supposed to answer within 2 days, as to what happened to the remaining items. After eight days, I received a canned answer from "Samantha", stating that the rest of the items I sent in did not meet their "style requirements", and were donated. Rest assured, there is no chance they could accept those jeans that cost $20 and not a brand new with tags Tahari sweater that retails for almost $300, also with tags. I emailed the Chief Marketing Officer for an explanation-- several times-- each email has gone unanswered.
I am not sure what they are doing with the items, but I do know that this is completely unacceptable. There are hundreds of complaints against them on sites like this, and registered with the BBB. I, regretfully, had not researched the company prior to reading them.
I have also purchased from them. Funny, they say they are very choosy with what they accept, however, the first dress I purchased for my daughter came and was completely damaged, and I had to return it. What they had described as a "very small flaw" was actually an extremely noticeable part of he dress which was visibly damaged.
Do not make the same mistake I made. Sell your clothes elsewhere, or simply donate them. This site is not reputable, they do not answer emails, and there is no excuse for this kind of customer experience and service. There are far too many options out there.
I have attached a photo of the brand new sweater I sent in, which just "disappeared" from my bag, saying it did not meet their style requirements, and, that, they, therefore "donated" it. The sweater was brand new, with tags still attached.
Again, both experiences I have had with this company left me feeling swindled. Never again.

Tip for consumers: If you send in a bag, and you are sending anything you think you would want back if not accepted, you have to purchase the return assurance. I think it's about $13. They deduct it from your accepted items if they return things. It's worth it, since there is no rhyme or reason to what they accept, and there is no reasonable explanation when questioned. You will only receive a computerized answer.

8/14/14

Use at your own risk, because the criteria is questionable (as what is accepted and what is not) too much drama there. Not recommended for people who are strapped for cash because they're apparently overwhelmed with amount of items blah, blah, blah...

If you wanna do it just for fun, be my guest, but don't expect too much.

You're better off making the effort going to your neighborhood consignment store.

8/14/14

I sent a bag of children's clothing to ThedUp and most of it was excepted and I was pleased with my payout. Based on that experience, I mailed in my high end maternity clothes and husbands clothes plus my nicer children's clothes. BIG MISTAKE! They emailed me that my bag was received and gave a date to expect my payout. When that passed, I emailed the company. I received a response from 'Samantha' that my bag was currently being processed and the 'final touches were being put on my payout'. That was weeks ago. From that point I have sent several emails and made phone call which I received to response to. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. Wish I had checked the BBB complaints on this company prior to sending them anything as they have a lot of complaints for a young company. I would not send them anything you are expecting to get a payout for!

8/12/14

I have bought and sold clothing on ThredUp and have been pleased w/ the quality and definitely with the pricing.

I sent in 2 large bags of women's clothing, mostly GAP and Loft and received almost $200 for my payout.

Typically I would just donate clothing to the Salvation Army, but I had been holding onto these items bc they seemed "too good' to just donate...and I was glad I sent them to ThredUp.

I always buy clothing for my son. He outgrows clothing every 2-3 months and I like brands like GAP, Ralph Lauren, Janie and Jack..but I can't justify the price tag of buying these things new for him. The quality has always been just as described and perfect for my 3 year old.

8/11/14

I have bought multiple times and sold clothes twice on ThredUp, so I will offer my opinion. It's pretty good for buying (why I've ordered 10+ times), but I usually donate any unwanted clothing.

SELLING: I sent in a bag stuffed with clothes in very good condition, some were new with tags. I was realistic about what the payout was, and expected to get about $15. My payout was $15.06. Good, right? Yes, but it took two weeks for them to process my bag and the items they accepted and rejected surprised the heck out of me. They rejected most of the best looking items, including NWT, and accepted the older and more worn clothes. It just didn't make any sense to me, and it makes you wonder where the rejected clothes are going. Unlike Twice, there is absolutely no information given to you on where the rejected clothes go. My second bag was processed last week and I got ZERO payout for that one. There were at least 4-5 pieces they SHOULD have accepted, and I expected $3-4 from that, but they rejected everything. I was a bit miffed, but not all that upset since nothing of substantial value was sent and it would have been donated anyway. Bottom line, don't send anything expensive or any item you would be upset to get little to no payout for. If you do that, then you’ll be happy with your payout ☺. I’ve never consigned anything, but to me it seems like the consignment policies won’t benefit the seller in many cases. Frankly, the 20% off coupon they send to you when they receive your bag is worth a lot more… $25 for me since I knew it was coming and I had an order queued up. Just make sure you check your e-mail often because it is only good for 24 hours.

BUYING: Mostly good experiences here, although returns are a big hassle. A few items were ripped or not as advertised, but most clothing that I ordered was consistent with what I was expecting and I’ve been happy with the quality. Pricing is inconsistent even within the same brand, many items are miscategorized (e.g., many shirts in the girls' dresses section), very light and very dark items are almost impossible to see in their photos, and little to no consideration is given to how old an item is when it is priced. If you are very familiar with the brands you like, you'll notice this quickly, so look with a critical eye. I like the fact it has so many brands in one place, however, there are few rewards given to loyal customers other than 10% off Mon-Wed on mobile app orders only. Other promotions for existing customers are not publicized well. For example, you’ll find the coupons codes on retailmenot.com, but not on ThredUp’s website or on its Facebook page. I’ve opted in to receiving promotional e-mails, but I’ve never gotten a coupon code from them via e-mail. Customer service is slow to respond to e-mails. Shipping is very slow, and quite expensive if you do not buy enough to earn free shipping. Bottom line: I will continue to shop here but it's not my go-to site. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if this company was investigated for deceptive business practices, so shop while you can!

EDIT TO ADD: Through a Facebook conversation with one of their CS reps, they admitted to me and another couple of shoppers that they 'work with wholesale thrifting companies' and that they are 'not currently donating clothes directly to charitable partners'. You will NOT find this info on their website, and if you ask in no uncertain terms where your rejected clothing is going, they are very evasive and keep referring to their generosity to their 'charitable partners'. So in other words, you may end up seeing the stuff you send in but are not paid for on eBay. Keep that in mind as you stuff that convenient clean-out bag they send you unsolicited....they are making money off of you whether they pay you or not. Based on this, I lowered my review to only two stars, due to a lack of basic business ethics.

And oh, they have quietly launched their own eBay store...what's that all about???

8/8/14

Never ever use this company! I sent in over a thousand dollars worth of clean stain free clothing, I recieved 4.80. What a rip-off!! I did some research and found out they were selling the other clothes I did not get paid for under another name from the town where the company is located, HOW CONVENIENT! I was told some had stains, I knew they did not as I checked every single item and even ironed them all. When I asked for proof they showed a man holding a piece of clothing that was obviously sprayed with water as it was running and the table was wet in the background. I am tired of this companies lies and BS, I am calling the BBB

8/7/14

Even though the quality was inconsistent, I LOVED the idea of trading boxes with other moms back in the early days of ThredUp. But then they changed the model. I had box 'credits,' that simply went away with the new model; however, they did give me a $10 credit for my first purchase.

My first purchase was good, but not great. I got a new-ish looking pair of shoes for myself and outfitted my younger son with some mini-Boden pieces. They are (or were...I haven't been back in months) weak in older boy sizes. What I paid was the high side of fair, but softened with the $10 credit.

Then, I tried selling. I actually sent two stuffed bags. The first one had winter coats - one of which was outgrown before it was ever worn (LL Bean) as well as jeans, shoes, all kinds of stuff. I got a fraction of what the clothes were worth (probably $400 worth of clothes for which I received about $24 dollars. But, the convenience of shipping from home and not having to drive to donate at Goodwill made it worth it. I never knew of course, what happened to the clothes they didn't accept--they aren't too clear about that.

A few months later, a local children's boutique went out of business. I bought all I could for pennies on the dollar - NWT! - and gave away or gifted what I could. What I couldn't - and I'm talking brands like Hanna Anderson, Zutano and more - I packed up to send to ThredUp. At that point, they were practically begging for 'designer/boutique' brands and a check on the site showed these were brands they accepted. I also through in a couple of lightly worn mainstream brand items - Old Navy, Oshkosh, because I didn't have enough of them to warrant a trip to a donation center. I didn't care if ThredUp didn't take those and gave them away.

I waited. And waited. And waited. About two months and multiple emails later, I got a version of a 'sorry, we've been so busy' note. And then I got my check. It was for $4.74. The items they accepted? The Old Navy and Oshkosh stuff. ONE of the probably 40 or 50 boutique pieces was accepted; the rest were declined with vague reasons.

Like others have said, it made me sick to my stomach. I don't know where those clothes went, but they were current season and they were salable. Heck, I'd rather GIVE them away to kids in my area than not know if they were resold elsewhere. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say SCAM (although some have), but for sure, not transparent and honest.

I've never been and never will be back. There are other consignment options closer to home that offer better selection at better prices and I can see exactly what I'm getting and I can see clothes I've sold them on the sales floor. Trust and reputation was the main reason to choose ThredUp and quite frankly, they've lost both.

8/4/14

I've sent clothes to thredup twice and I'm pleased with the experience. None of my items were returned but the upfront payment was not a lot (about $75 for two bags of clothes). Considering that I avoided the hassle of trying to sell the clothes myself, I think it's worthwhile. There are a lot of restrictions on what they accept for sale so you do need to pay careful attention when sending in items.

8/4/14

I will never use Thred Up again! I sent them a large bag of clothes in perfect condition and they gave or kept most of them? only sellnig a handful of items on their site. What did I get $5.00!
Tammie

8/3/14

As a former user of Thredup, I was extremely disappointed with the prices for which my items were sold. Shoes and a sweater, Eileen Fisher, which Thredup itself listed as " in new condition" sold for less than I could have made had I slapped them on a card table in my front lawn and declared a yard sale. I absolutely will not use Thredup's "services" again. Do something nice for yourselves and your LOCAL economy: take your clothing to your neighborhood consignment shops and donate what doesn't sell to charity.

8/2/14

i love thredup.com for myself and my children. only one unpleasant experience so far. i ordered 4 items for my daughter, got the shipping confirmation a few days later. when i received my polka dot box it only had 2 items in it. on the receipt there was handwritten "unavailable" and a sticker that said refund. i checked my bank account and it was refunded. i just wish i would of gotten an email saying that i was only receiving 2/4 items. besides that, i love this site!

8/2/14

I love thred up have been using it since the beginning they are simply amazing so convenient and easy and get paid in return I love you guys Me and my daughter dress from them i send them my clothes and get a great payout

8/1/14

I love thredUP! I have used it several times now & have been absolutely satisfied with all of my purchases. Since I cannot try the clothing on my children, I tend to stay with brands that I use or have fitted on them before. I also love that it offers free shipping & discounts. My local resale shops rarely offer such savings.

Thanks, thredUP, for all of the wonderful clothes you have outfitted my children with! I like the idea of recycling clothing while saving hundreds of dollars on items that might get worn just a handful of times!

7/30/14

I've ordered multiple times now... the items are not represented well on the site. Most of the sizing is incorrect in length and nothing fits properly--I don't have this problem with any other sites!

7/30/14

I adore thredUP! The selection is fantastic, you can find anything from $4-$50, all styles and sizes. Fast delivery and well organized website. Thanks for being awesome!

7/28/14

I agree with many other reviewers that buying through TU is great, but selling is a scam. I sent an Escada skirt NWT and LOFT dress pants, also new with tags. Neither was accepted. The explanation I was given was that the skirt had no sizing info (NOT TRUE), and that the pants were out of style. The pants were from Fall 2013! It's absurd. I will look for another site to send my clothes to.

7/27/14

I've been using thread up since the beginning. It's been awesome to see it grow into the site it is now. I've sold and bought and have had nothing but excellent experiences.

7/24/14

This site is such a rip off. I turned in a bag full of great items, great condition, and most had tags with them. They took a total of 15 items, gave me $62 and sold my items for over $266. I got way way less than 50%. I'm very upset, and will never ever use this site again.

7/22/14

I have both purchased and sold clothes through ThredUp - for me, the convienience is clutch. Getting paid any amount of $ for clothing I would be donating is great. The ease of dropping the clothing in a bag and dropping it off at UPS is fantastic. The payout is never consistent, and seldom makes sense to me.

I too have been given explanations that I know to be false - stains/rips/wear on clothing ... that I know are not there, brands that are not accepted ... when I can see on their website that they are ... etc. You do have the option of paying to have your unwanted items returned to you - which is nice.

Purchase wise I have been pleased. Clothes arrive neatly pressed and laundered and wrapped nicely.

Overall - this seems to be a great little company with a fantastic idea. I enjoy getting paid any amount for items that I would be donating any way. I appreciate the ease of the process.

7/21/14

Everything I have purchased on Thredup has been fantastic quality. The reimbursement is not excellent but if you don't have time for ebay it can be fun.

7/20/14

I too was shafted. The first bag of children clothes I sent, I received a decent payout. The next bag of clothes I sent was even bigger with tags on the clothes. The clothes were from designer clothes. I couldn't believe it, received $8.00. So I stopped shopping with this company and would never do business with them ever again. BUYER & SELLER BEWARE!!

7/20/14

We have purchased many things from Thred Up and most--but far from all--were in great condition. A few were so old (I would guess 12-15 years)--from mass merchandiser stores no longer in existence. Tells me their evaluators are not that saavy. Many had pilling or fading or generalyl worn looks.

We recently tried our first sale to them. THEY WERE DISHONEST AND RUDE. The value they put on the goods we sent them (all name brands, the least expensive of which were Osh Kosh) was less than 10% of Salvation Army's published donation value. We vowed never to sell to them again. They contacted us about a month after to review the transaction. We told them we were vey unhappy. They passed the comments along to another department who emailed us with a COMPLETELY FRAUDULENT assessment, saying we had submitted items that were on thier lists of unacceptable (NOT TRUE. I had the list in my hand when packing the boxes). They said the items were not clean, were worn or piled. NOT TRUE. I am a professional costumer. Laundry is an art form to me. The items were perfect. Never repaired. Laundered expertly, ironed if necessery and in excellent condition. AND WE HAVE SEEN MANY OF THE ITEMS FOR SALE ON THEIR SITE AT HIGH PRICES.
Apparently they are so greedy that making a fair profit on the items they sell is not enough. They must cheat and malign those who provide them with the items.
I will never buy from them again. They may have some good buys in useed things but they have a dark corporate culture to which I cannot lend my support.

7/18/14

Honestly, I am SO pleased with my shopping experience! (I don't think I would want to sell to them though. Seems like a hassle and gamble, with not a lot of payoff.) The items were exactly as described. Shipping was prompt (received it three days after putting in the order), but I think that's because it shipped from CA to CA. The packaging was nice and clean, and I appreciated that the thredUP team placed their tags where it wouldn't ruin the clothing. I feel like I got a great deal for essentially new items that I would have purchased anyways at the store. And apparently, returns are free if you purchase the items through their app, which also helped me feel more comfortable about buying.

7/18/14

Thredup is good for those who want to shop but NOT for consignment. I have sent three bags full of name brand clothes in perfect condition some with tags on them and got shafted. I will not use them for selling my clothes or buying their items anymore. I don't think that they're a legitimate company therefore they should be investigated by the business bureau. Don't make business with these people you'll be disappointed.

7/16/14

I enjoy buying and selling to thredup. I buy for myself and my two young children. I feel like they do their best to describe the clothing condition and color so you know what you are buying. When I send in clothing to thredup I always use their clothing calculator online so I know what to expect. That way I don't end up sending in something they will not accept. I have also had a couple friends make purchases from thredup and they give me a $10 credit for bringing them business. What a great deal!

7/16/14

I wonder if the people complaining about not getting enough for their clothes has sold to other cash for clothes sites. I owned a consignment store for over ten yrs and most people thought their clothes were worth more . 75% or more of the items that consignors brought in went to charity .I think if you want to try them for selling your clothes take a few to cash for clothes and then refuse their offer and mail to thredup I want to see that person's review. +++++ for recycling.

7/14/14

Totally got SHAFTED. Sent in 3 bags of Anthropolgie, Black House White Market, Ralph Lauren, and got $13. WHAT A TOTAL JOKE. DO NOT EVERY USE THIS COMPANY.

7/14/14

I bought several orders before I sent in my own clean up bag. I spent the time to review the guidelines for acceptable items BEFORE I sent my bag in. I was very pleased with my experience. I got approximately $75 for 3 bags of clothes that I would have just taken to Goodwill. I have found their customer service to be excellent, and most items I have received have been exactly what I thought I ordered. The only returns I have had are due to sizing issues, and those were processed quickly and correctly. The website is very easy to navigate and it makes it easy to track returns, clean out bags, and orders. I get complimented all of the time on the items I order, and I always say "I LOVE THREDUP!".

7/13/14

The only reason why I'm giving ThredUP two stars is because my order came as promised. Sure, shopping at TU is great, however, if you're sending stuff in, you get shafted pretty bad.

Beware their marketing ploy "cash in your closet." It's as big of an over promise as they come. It's more like "cash in their pocket from the clothes in your closet." I sent in a bag full of clothes, shoes and coats in near perfect condition. All brands they purport to accept. They overlooked most of it. As you can imagine, I was extremely disappointed. Now that I find this is a reoccurring theme in reviews around the internet, I'm just pissed.

They did send me a partial list of reasons, along with images, why the majority of my stuff was not accepted, but only after I complained on Twitter and posted a response to the CEO's condescending blog post about, basically, how they are only human and those of us who feel cheated should just stop complaining because "They want to accept 100% of every bag we send in. Period."

No. You don't. So stop pretending you do. If you did, you'd fix this awful mess. And you wouldn't send flimsy excuses why you didn't accept my practically brand new clothing, much of which was worn once or even never. The reasons were laughable. And insulting. And infuriating. They claimed there were "large, visible stains" on clothing I know FOR A FACT there were not. Why would I send it in if it was stained to hell? Do they think I can't read? I poured over their website and the list of brands they accept and the fact that he are very picky and blah, blah, blah. In my opinion, all that is just insurance against any wrong doing on their part. As if it being on their website makes it okay to gyp people out of clothes and accessories they could have taken elsewhere. Show me then, where all those large visible stains are by sending my $#*! back. Oh, you can't because you've "donated" all of it. News flash, blurry ass pictures will not convince me of something I've seen with my own eyes.

To make a long story even longer, both the CEO and CMO emailed me wanting feedback. So I gave it. Absolute silence. Only when I took to the internet did they have a customer support rep reach out to me. Sorry, but it's too late TU. You've lost a customer and, if I can help it, future customers. Until you change your business model to be advantageous to all customers, more specifically, the people who supply you with the clothes you sell, I'm done.

7/13/14

First off, after getting a coupon for 80% off first order, I can't use it.

Misleading info--"All orders ship FREE with thredup everyday!" Guess what, they don't. Though the "thredup everyday" is in the same color as the other text it's a link that takes you to a page that says if you join for a fee you can get free shipping. What a deal!

I send them an email with my concerns and get a reply "we care blah blah blah but to respond we need your email address." HELLO, IT'S IN THE "FROM" FIELD LIKE IT IS IN EVERY EMAIL.

Then, to top off my great shopping experience I don't get my package. Time for a credit card dispute.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get shut down real soon.

7/9/14

I've now ordered twice and consigned once. All transactions were flawless and the clothes I received were even better than I thought they would be. I'm super impressed with this business.

7/8/14

Very affordable way to continuously get great name brand clothing for your children and yourself!! I tend to shop when I know I will spend over $50 in order to save on expensive shipping fees. This helps to keep the cost down.
I have used the site to send in name brand, some new with tags and have been a little disappointed for the result. I since have stopped sending but continue to be a loyal customer!! Returns and or product damage is always quickly resolved from a customer service representative. Overall, I enjoy the site greatly and can't beat the excellent products and prices I pay! My kids and I are eager to receive our ThredUP boxes each time!!

7/7/14

Great customer service. Reasonable shipping rates. I've only bought through them, not traded any old clothes but I've always been really happy with the items I've received. Once a free shipping code I tried to use wouldn't work so I emailed the company and was refunded the shipping cost within a day! No hesitation!

7/6/14

I really wish I researched thredup before I used the bag that came enclosed with a gymboree order I received. I was under the impression I would be receiving gymboree bucks for sending in used baby clothes in great condition. I sent them name brand items some never worn with tags attached. I didn't think they would accept every item but I wasn't expecting them to accept nothing! What a waste of time, effort and clothes that any consignment store would have paid a good amount for! Will never use again!!!

7/6/14

I have definitely upgraded my closet from this site. They are strict about what they accept and consequently you get quality next to New clothes. The only sure bet is clothes with tags. They allow you to FedEx your clothes for free, that can't be cheap for them.

7/4/14

Just as others have stated my experience with this company is the same. Sent a bag of name brand purses and clothes that they stated on their web site they needed and were accepting. Nothing was accepted. I believe they take the merchandise and sell it elsewhere and make money! Some one or agency needs to investigate... biggest fraud ever. Wish I had kept it and given to a charity or local consignment. At least I would know where it was being put to good use.

7/3/14

Lesson Learned. Would much have rather given my items to charity than to get practically nothing for a bag full of name brand clothing. What a scam!

The Best Childrens Clothes Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber