US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

marym242

Usually if I need to make a return or deal with customer service the experience is pleasant. (in 185 reviews)

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 809 reviews)

christinav9

I love love threfup for buying great quality used clothes, but would never send clothes for resale ever again. (in 770 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

chadh39

Great clothes, great prices

byrdm13
2/12/16

They recycled a pair of jeans that I had bought from the site only months before and never worn. They recycled hundreds of dollars in clothing (pay for the return in advance if you can) and they misvalued a designer handbag by hundreds of dollars. Try and sell individually on eBay instead if you love your pieces. I'm sure there is a thred up intern walking around with my "marked/unclean" Marc Jacobs blouses right now.

janetc15
2/12/16

I am reviewing as a seller: I used to use LikeTwice and I can honestly say that LikeTwice's payout was much better and their processing time was much quicker. For ThredUp, with a giant bag of accepted name brands including shoes, they only gave an average of $30 per bag full of items barely worn, or even NWT. If I could get proof that unaccepted items are going to a donation, I'd be happy, but that's not going to happen.

On top of that, it takes them weeks to process the bags. Yes, I am aware that there process a lot of people's stuff. I would forgive the long processing time, but once they give you the money, you can't cash it out immediately which is stupid; so that sort of adds to my impatience. And the only way to get the cash is if you have a PayPal account, so if you don't have that, there's no other way to receive money. So for those avoiding PayPal for various reasons, you're out of luck.

janiner5
2/11/16

I have never had a negative or less than fully satisfactory experience with Thredup. Whether it is buying, returns or selling, my transactions are tracked accurately and processed timely. Absolutely ZERO complaints. Thanks Thredup for providing a much needed alternative to retail shopping in today's economy.

newj
2/11/16

I was introduced to ThredUp about a year ago and loved it! I bought and sold and bought some more! The value was always great and the prices were awesome. Since it has 'evolved', the payout per bag has decreased substantially - even though the items are name brand and great condition and yet the prices have gone up. The selection that used to be available has been cut drastically as a result. I gave three stars because there's still some great deals and great products to be found, it's just not what it used to be.

kateb51
2/10/16

I used to shop regularly at thredUp for clothing for both myself and my kids. Recently they changed things up and I don't think it's for the better. The shipping is more expensive now, you also have to reach a much higher price to get free shipping. The clothing has gone up in price as well and they have phased out certain brands. While everything seemed to have spiked up, my recent bag I consigned rang in at $13 dollars and change, although my items were listed for a tally of $50 plus. The sneakers alone I mailed in to consign were priced at $22.99. I am disappointed, will not use thredUp again.

kendrae4
2/9/16

I sent a large bag filled with current style business casual items from banana republic, jcrew, free people, anthropologie, and topped it off with a $200 pair of barely worn Hudson jeans that were too small for me. And they only accepted 1 item and gave me $1.40 credit!!! I should have paid the $12 to have my clothes sent back to me. I would have rather given them to friends. I thought I would make some money so I could purchase from thread up. Seriously!?!? What a scam!!!!

katherineb23
2/9/16

I heard about this site from blogger, Pbfingers. I decided to give it a try and sent in a stuffed bag of Jcrew/Jcrew factory clothing. A conservative estimate that I expected was about $100.. Again, this was keeping my expectations low. Pbfingers always seems to miraculously get $200 back whenever she sends in her clothes. I got back $47.25, despite the fact that they are keeping 11 of my items. One of the J crew skirts is being sold for $29. How do you figure, Thredup? I'm sure you're making loads of money scamming the people who sell your clothes, but unfortunately for you this model won't last.

saidehp
2/7/16

After sending them clothes all according to their list of acceptable brands and with their suggested prices, expected about $75 in payment. Weeks passed before they emailed me that I would receive $22. No surprise there, I should have expected the scam. Now that four months have passed, I'm still waiting for that check.
Don't bother going through that company. Really not worth your while to go through the hassle of ordering their shopping bag, checking and listing items, mailing it, and not getting anything in return.

lalah2
2/6/16

Did more research and the better business bureau has many complaints. Also, several other state agencies because of the complaints. I hope you post your complaint worldwide on Facebook,Periscope,Ig.... This is horrible service. And custom service is a joke

kateo17
2/4/16

I wish I could give a zero! I sent them probably 30 items. All gently used, some even still had the price tags on them. They took 8 items and gave me $15.63. I would have just gone to Crossroads and dealt with the mean girls head on and got more money. This place is such a rip off for the sellers. I'm so angry and then they have the nerve to ask me how my experience was. Do not waste your time selling your clothes here, they are thieves!

anielaa
2/4/16

I sent in a bag with over 30 items of gently used and new with tags baby clothing. Some Gap, some Gymboree, etc. 24 items were accepted and I was credited $16!!!! I did a quick search to see what similar items were going for and the pricing was $5-10 so this company can potentially make over $100 off of my clothes and I got less than a dollar for each item??? Doesn't add up - now that I am reading the bad reviews for sellers here I am wishing I had researched before I sent in a bag.

I ordered once thru them which and that is why I decided to sell with this company as I was pleased with what I had received from them. I suppose buying from them is fine but selling is just not worth it. I had washed and folded (no wrinkles) all 30+ items and was expecting at least $30... oh well, lesson learned.

vb12
2/3/16

If I could give zeros I would. This site is so bad it's almost criminal! I think somebody should turn them into the Attorney Generals of their homes for deceptive business practices. Sure the prices are good for BUYERS, but for Sellers they are fleecing them. And don't think for one minute if you send your items in that the ones they don't accept are going to charity if you don't want them back. Donate , sure, into their own pocket!! They don't go to charity at all. Read the fine print!! And if you buy an item off their site, remember that they screwed over the Seller . The Seller's getting pennies on the dollar

deniceb2
2/3/16

I sent in only high end designer clothing that was in excellent condition. They gave me a payout that was so small it is not even worth collecting. They promise a lot but do not deliver. I advise that you skip this website altogether!

tracim10
2/3/16

I love thredUP because they make everything easy. Searching by size, style, designer, color...easy. Ordering...easy. Returning...easy. Love it.

brianac3
2/3/16

DO NOT SEND YOUR ITEMS HERE! I sent in designer jeans and 15 Lululemon items that were basically brand new and they accepted 12 items and only gave me $88 but then I had to pay the return shipping for my other items so my payout was $75. They do NOT give you an option to accept or decline their off and they have had my items for 2 weeks and I am still not able to "CASHOUT" is is a $#*!ing ripoff!

terryb90
2/3/16

Don't waste your time sending your valuable clothes to THREDUP. Basically they give you less than $2.00 per item and then sell them for up to $27.00 each ....seriously they gave me $21.00 and all my items are listed at $119.00 total that they are selling. NEVER USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taniat6
2/2/16

I love the whole experience on shopping on Thredup. The site is clean and easy to use, the clothes are well presented and described, detail to packaging and customer service al make it very enjoyable.

anim20
2/2/16

They were super quick to respond to my emails BEFORE I sent my bags in. They told me to make sure that all the items I send "qualify", meaning they are in good condition, no tears, no stains and on their approved brand list. It took me an hour to sort my clothes and check their approved brand list. I sent in designer jeans, tops, shoes and various clothing items. Some I had never worn and even had tags on them. I sent in total of 40 items, waited ten days just to be told that "unfortunately, we won't be able to purchase any of your items". What????? I sent them an email wanting an explanation of how 40 pieces that met all their standards were rejected. I never heard back. Now I bet, in a few weeks, they will list everything I had sent and make a decent profit since they paid me zero dollars. Shame on such businesses!

silviaa7
2/2/16

I've made two purchases from ThredUP and have been pleased with both. The items were all in excellent condition (as described). Unfortunately, I had to return a few pieces because they did not fit, but they make it SO easy to return items. I know I'll continue buying from them over and over.

sherris14
2/2/16

I like the price and quality of clothing for purchase. The description of condition is accurate. Tried sending in clean out bags but not enough items were accepted and $ provided for items they did was too low. I would rather donate or give to friends. Photo quality and views needs to be improved. Hard to see color variations. Shipping takes far too long. I now order one item at a time instead of group purchases because it gets delivered faster. Like the promo codes and customer service response is excellent!

vikap
2/1/16

I have sent two bags with almost new women's and baby clothes. They sold 15 items and sent me back the ones they didn't want and charged $12 shipping. My payout ended up to be $2! So basically, I gave it to them for free. I would rather bring it to the local re-seller or donate.

kayh35
2/1/16

The experience was good, the end product was only ok. I washed it (in cold water) and hung it to dry, but it seemed to shrink

erinl26
1/31/16

I have really loved the purchases I have made on ThredUp and selling is relatively easy. I wish you did not have to have a Paypal account to cash out, however. I really like to idea of personal shops -- I hope they are able to develop this soon.

katm23
1/30/16

I got my in accepted items backtoday, that was quick. I am VERY DISSPLEASED on the way they were returned!!!

Thredup says it can't tell size on my Armani dress I sent in. That is because it no longer has merchant tags or my receipt that were still attached when I mailed it in! The Armani hanger also was not returned! That is HORRIBLE handling on their part.
The Manolo Blanhiks which had a box with the sticker price I originally paid re-attached, no box was returned.

After my three items sell or are returned, I am NEVER using your consignment method again!!

lesliep32
1/29/16

I think ThredUp is probably a perfectly fine place to buy clothes, but I would use a lot of caution when attempting to sell. I just sent in 6 items and didn't receive a dime. I get the feeling that they are profiting somehow even though they claim to have recycled my items. I sent in things that I know were good. Just make sure you truly do not want your items and are done with them - because unless you pay $12.99 to get them back, they are gone. I wouldn't consider sending anything to sell to this company again.

jenniferm107
1/29/16

We purchased from them- deals were ok. Sent 2 bags to them- first one was just ok on payout, I owed them after the second one!! They resell your "donations" therefore I wanted my items back. They purchased 20 of my times- designer with tags! And I owed them money after the payout!! They charge too much for some items, and rip off sellers. I will no longer use them

sandyp30
1/28/16

I was very pleased with the my purchase. The quality was very good and the price reasonable.

michelleg88
1/28/16

Hello;

Customer service is great to get back to me. Some of the pictures are misleading . I have placed more than a handful of order's and averaging 3 out of 5 items , I am liking.

nh70
1/27/16

Love the site, especiialy the filters-so helpful and easy to use. Great selection, quality and deals! Only complaint is that delivery, returns, and review of clean out bags is very slow.

rachelh65
1/27/16

thread up has wonderful customer service and i love that they even have beautifully designed boxes! it makes you feel like you are buying special clothing and not used clothing.

caron21
1/27/16

Seamless, easy to navigate, easy to return (love the clear deadlines and shipping prices/options), easy to shop and find things I want.
Prices are on point, great quality control.
The surprise discount coupons are exciting to happen upon.
Haven't tried the sell option yet, but optimistic and looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Feels really good to have the same breezy shopping experience you get from a big retailer, as well as the serendipity of thrifting (sans the hours of perusal, the pressure of not being able to make a return, etc.), and to satisfy my vanity w/o the guilt of feeding massive waste and industrial consumption, blah blah, that kinda thing.

joeannt
1/27/16

THIS COMPANY IS NOTHING BUT A LIAR. I SEND IN SOME CLOTHES THAT WAS NEVER WORN, I WAS TOLD THEY RECEIVED THEM AND I ALSO SAW ON-LINE THAT SOME OF THEM WERE SOLD, BUT I NEVER RECEIVE A CENT.

carreys
1/27/16

I bought some clothes and didn't like them so I returned them. They won't give me my money back, although they agree it is my money they won't refund me. They say I can buy other stuff but will not return my money and if I don't want to buy anything then I forfeit the money. They also "bought" clothes off of me for less than 1/5 of they where worth. They also will not return them, even after I agreed to pay for them to return them. This company is also now harassing me via email. Becarful everyone. They are sly and cunning and should be shut down. I am out money and they are being very cruel.

cj174
1/27/16

The service at this site is always good but the sizing that is on the clothes is not correct and misguided.

cindya28
1/27/16

Their are so many options and the products arrive in perfectly wrapped packages.

Only suggestion would be to update photography as it can be hard to see details

lc65
1/27/16

Their customer service is to be desired. I have sent in two separate emails to support regarding two issues, and I have yet to receive a response. Instead I got this email asking for my review of the company. I used to use ThredUp back when they first got started & you listed your boxes of items & loved it. But since they have changed things it has all gone down hill. I want to love ThredUp, however when I can't get a response to a simple support email, it turns me off. Larger companies such as Carter's & Old Navy have no problem responding to a support email. They even have a phone number you can call where a real person answers.

michelleb166
1/26/16

Not only do you not get free returns unless you just do a store credit, but, if you sell to them they offer next to nothing. I sent in clothes that where name brand, still current style, and no visible signs of wear and they had the nerve to only offer me $14! I am currently awaiting to see if I can get my clothes back. I will be dealing with trade.com from now on. My advice is you do the same.

Tip for consumers: Save your time and money, don't use this business!

gwenythr
1/26/16

I love a good deal, but going to consignment shops with my three young children is almost impossible! I love ThredUP for their vast inventory for myself and my little girls! I have found some awesome clothes and lots of items for special occasions and holidays. I have always had an easy time navigating the website and returns are a breeze. THANK YOU ThredUP!

tiffanyg29
1/26/16

My daughter wears land's end skorts to school everyday. They are the most comfortable and durable ones we have found. We can usually find the type she likes for under $10, including shipping. These skorts normally run $35, without shipping. Packages arrive quickly and clothing is in the condition described.

krisa23
1/26/16

I sent thred-up 3 huge bags full of name brand clothing, mostly women's jeans and many pairs were new. They supposedly only kept a handful of items and paid me $13. One of the sweaters alone sold for $29 when they re-sold it on their site! I paid to have the unaccepted items returned but they never were. On top of that, when I went to use the little emaount they had paid me, it had disappeared from my account. Not impressed!!! Wish I had read through the postings on their facebook site from all the people they've ripped off before I sent them any clothing!!!

julieg69
1/25/16

I am new to Thred Up and am loving my experience and my re-doing my wardrobe with incredible prices. Since I have shopped an made returns I have had no problems whatsoever. The returns have been timely and when emailed the support desk with any concern I am replied to within a day. Great customer service! and a great way to save money and shop for clothes that are trendy!

bk50
1/25/16

ThredUp is an honest and decent place to buy used women's clothing.

betseyl

I resent being lock
Ed out of a site that.makes a viewer sign in before the viewer even gets to see more than one page of items. Bad enough to get too many emails from places I like! I suggest a review as I might have wanted to buy something. You lost me....

michellew105
1/24/16

Thredup is a phenomenal site. In terms of shopping on the site, the site is easy to navigate and you can search for items by brand, size, color, and other specifications. Items are shipped quickly and arrive with tags on them so it really feels like you are shopping for "new" items. Love that they even carry maternity clothing now, as it is so pricey to buy that type of clothing at regular stores. Return process is also easy too (and free).

In terms of sending in clothing to thredup for sale/credit, that is also an easy process too. Sometimes I feel like the credit I get back is a bit low, but I always end up using the credit in conjunction with 20% off and free shipping promos, so it all evens out.

I love this site and honestly enjoy the convenience of shopping from my home computer.

vivianl31
1/24/16

I have purchased from thredUp several times. I think the idea for this site is fantastic! All the items I've received have been in excellent condition and I love that the selection is so stylish. The ease or returning items is great as well. The photographs show the clothes to advantage. One suggestion I would make would be to take pictures of the inside lining on jackets to help shoppers decide if they want to buy it or not.

lorraines23
1/23/16

Described as a shoulder bag but it isn't. The bag has short handles.

sjs3

I love shopping thredup!

carolb104
1/23/16

Fast on delivery. Easy to return items Granddaughter did not like or did not fit. Waiting for credit on items. Like the dots on the box. Liked the way they were packed. When I telephoned to ask questions, the person on the other end was friendly and helpful. Will show on and off with thredUP.

kathleene12
1/23/16

I discovered Threadup's website by accident and its now my favorite place to shop! All of the merchandise I've purchased looks brand new. The website is set up beautiful and easy to browse. When the items ship they come in cute polka dot boxes wrapped in tissue, it's like a "unwrapping a special gift". It gives an exta special touch I think. I haven't had to return anything, so I can't give a review of their return policy. They also have a great referral program. I received $20 in credit for referring my cousin (she rec $20 too)...easy peasy. Overall, finally a great place where you CAN shop with Champagne taste on a Beer budget!

48 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
10 hours ago
Add your answer
1 week ago
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP