US Government's NSF

Categories: Toys, Used Clothing
580 Market Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

People interested in thredUP are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 318 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 317 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 68 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

annk25
8/1/15

Everyone and all my experiences has been great. I get coupons send and love using my their app. This is the only way I'll buy my clothes and sell them too.

susank54
8/1/15

Just like everyone else, I sent one bag (thank goodness it was only one) filled with really beautiful designer clothing that matched the stringent conditions required. For about $300.00 worth of clothing and shoes, I received $7.32. Therefore, once I get my refund for a dress that did not fit (so far it has been ten days since they received the returned item) and spend my $7.32, I will sign off and stick with normal retail sales and give my stuff to Goodwill.

mege2
8/1/15

Why does Thredup support TFA? If the company is sincerely interested in supporting education, they will find another organization to support rather than Teach for America. Are you aware of the negative impact TFA is having on our public schools and the children in the poorest communities? Sending an untrained teacher into our most difficult classrooms is not helping those children, in fact it is hurting them. TFA is basically a scab organization that's mission is to break up the teachers unions by replacing experienced, successful teachers with cheap temporary labor. Our children deserve much better than this. Really wish you would disassociate

lesliem39
8/1/15

I have sent in many many bags to ThredUp. Mostly disappointed in what I recieved as a payout. But I like the ease of sending it being done. So I decided to add up all if the prices they were asking for my items. It was just over $300. That's what they get. I recieved $30.00 for my bag. There were top kid brands like Polo, Janie n Jack oilily etc....how can they consider that fair? I feel as if I let myself be robbed. Please we need to all turn them into the BBB!

katiew24
7/31/15

I sent new Vera Bradley that Thread Up's site said they were paying extra for along with a ton of nice clothes. They gave me $0.87! I was very upset.

jeannep5
7/30/15

In reading the reviews on this website I found that others had similar bad experiences with Thred up. In addition if you want cash for your items you must have a paypal account. Not everyone has a paypal account!!! Must say I am fed up with Thred up.

marias115
7/30/15

I have purchased a great deal from ThredUP, I have also sold some....didn't get much for it. Oh well. I love shopping for the clothing. I will tell you that I am shocked at poor the customer service is. I called twice and never got a call back about an issue of them not taking payment. It was a pretty big problem wrapped up with my Paypal and Amazon payment methods. Problem resolved thanks to my credit card company. I have yet to hear one word from ThredUP either phone or email. Amazon followed up with several emails to make sure everything went through properly. I am disappointed they have something really wonderful and will ruin it with very poor customer service that could easily be solved with simply communication.

carolm88
7/28/15

I LOVE to shop thred UP because I do believe that their quality is great and I'm rarely disappointed in what I receive. I wish that when they display white items that they would put a darker background behind the item, so many times it's hard to see the white item on the white background. So I try to stay away from white. Like so many other reviews I've read, I have sent nice clothes in to them and only received pennies for my clothes which was not what I expected, so I will never send them anything.

daniellec34
7/27/15

I sent in about $250 worth of clothes, 15-20 pairs of Abercrombie hollister, rock revival, miss me, express, etc. jeans. Also roughly 30 Calvin klein, gap, hollister/Abercrombie, Ed-hardy, express/the limited, polo Ralph Lauren, etc shirts/sweaters. THEY GAVE ME $7.55!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE, Also I sent them in, it took about a month to process and now it's been about 3 weeks & I STILL can't cash my balance ($7.55) out! This is terrible. I would've rathered donated my nice clothes to a local homeless shelter. What a scam. It would cost me $4.55 more than what they gave me to have my clothing sent back at this point! Never using ThreadUp again!

terrib23
7/26/15

Fantastic deals here. All 3 items purchased were in new or perfect condition. Shipping was a bit slow, but the bargains were so good that the week's wait was not a problem. (of course, I do live in a very rural area; that could have caused the delay).
Bottom line, I will definitely shop here often!

jeaninec3
7/24/15

My first order, several of my my high-end items were faded and thread-bare. Returned. BUT to return you either pay a whopping $8.99 for shipping to get a refund OR free return shipping for store credit. I get it, keep us shopping, fine. EXCEPT it takes TWO WEEKS to process said return, meanwhile your cart is expiring daily so all the items you'd like to get instead vanish. SO annoying! Try to contact customer service? No one answers a line, EVER! straight to voice service encouraging you to send a email but wait, I did that THREE DAYS ago to no avail. Boo! You're not that cool, online second hand buying is a dime a dozen these days. You coulda been cool but alas, you kinda suck.

mp62
7/23/15

I have been an eBay seller for about 10 years. I decided to send items that I sell on ebay to this company to see if it would be more profitable. I made the BIG mistake of sending three HUGE bags (approx. 10 -15 lbs each) instead a few items to test the service out. I sent designer shoes, leather jackets (EUC), new with tags clothes, purses, cute skirts. They took 4 items from one bag; and 1 item each from the other two bags. I got back $19.49. REALLY…
The CEO of the company emailed me for feedback because “he cared.” I responded with what I wrote above. He forwarded my response to another staff person who obviously had no clue what to do with my feedback. AND then sent two additional emails to me asking if I was happy with the response I got from her. NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I can only hope that they donated my items to a woman’s shelter because I will not do business with this company again.

kristins20
7/22/15

While I am extremely pleased to get rid of some of my clothes that I no longer wear, and get some money in the process, I am less than enthusiastic about the amount of money that I received versus the amount of money that thred up is selling those items for. I understand that the company will be giving me less money than they will be selling the items for, as they're trying to make some money too. However, I received $46 for my bag of items, and they will in turn be selling those items for more than $300. So they will be making more than $250 profit on my bag of clothes? Seems a bit skewed to me as that's more than 5x the amount that I received!! If they tried to make the ratio a bit more fair (even just give me $125, they get $175), id be much happier with their services.

susand61
7/20/15

I received a value of $2.42 for my ThredUp bag, which included many Michael Kors, The Limited, Express, Ann Taylor, and Ann Taylor Loft items. I feel like I have been robbed and needless to say, will not be using ThredUp again and will be absolutely sure to very seriously dissuade any friends or family members who consider using the service as well. It is easy to see how they are able to sell designer clothing at such great prices when their business model is essentially stealing clothing at no cost from those who send clothes in an attempt to sell and then selling for a profit. Live and learn from our mistakes I suppose, but in the future I will be donating my used clothing to charity.

christinav9
7/20/15

I love love threfup for buying great quality used clothes, but would never send clothes for resale ever again.

lb44
7/19/15

I shop Thredup.com for clothing for myself and my kids (I live in a rural area and my brick and mortar options are basically just the big box store everyone loves to hate). I find great deals on things that are consistently in excellent condition and best of all (this is what keeps me coming back) they offer a simple and hassle free return policy. I

cherylg19
7/19/15

I have ordered 4 times from Thedup. I have been 100% satisfied each time. The first time I ordered and hadn't realized the shipping time. I emailed and was able to get my item expedited. The items are well photographed and described so I have never been disappointed. I will continue to purchase from them.

danielleg18
7/18/15

It doesn't really get more convenient than selling to ThredUp, although I will say it sometimes take a very long time to process your bag. But it' so easy, it's worth it. I've also been very pleased with the price and quality of items I've purchased on ThredUp.

rebeccah37
7/17/15

I live how easy this is to get money for my good kids clothes. You don't get a ton of money but something is better than nothing. Their best pay out is for handbags.

sonyaw7
7/16/15

I've bought and sold at thredup and have had great experiences. The items I've purchased have always been in excellent condition. They offer a fair consignment price for items I've sent in and their customer service is consistently wonderful.

michellee21
7/16/15

I love that I can shop for gently used name-brand clothing and not have to get the whole family ready to do so and they arrive at my door quickly in excellent condition! I love this site and recommend it to everyone!

shannonh25
7/13/15

Sent in a huge bag of clothes only to receive 6 dollars back! That's ok I will not be sending any more,would rather donate!

lornah12
7/12/15

I am normally one to find a silver lining. There isn't one for the seller with this company. Unless you count the company execs pockets apparently. Their payouts are ridiculously low. An entire bag of designer boys clothes, several still with tags, and they "accepted" 6 items for a grand total of $5. I would have been better served to donate them.

bridgettef2
7/10/15

Be careful. Be warned. They're really good at taking items that are supposed to be returned and they go after the priciest ones to not purchase or return to you. I don't have a rating for thredup but was forced to click something so I guess its a single star. That's a joke!

denises35
7/9/15

Be sure to check out all of the complaints against Thredup.com with the BBB. I wish I had done my homework before trusting these thieves. Please learn from my mistake and go elsewhere to consign your quality clothing.

marykayej
7/9/15

I was excited to sell quality, name brands, I got nothing in return, minimal prices and they didn't take most of my stuff. ALL were clean, in style and expensive brands!!! I have to think that most of the people who sort through are very well dressed!! Total rip off to sell. I have not purchased anything so I cannot comment. Out of 2 bags of excellent stuff, I got $4. I guess I should have known better! I sent J. Crew, Gap, Baby Gap, Gymboree, Really..... $4 No way!!!!

dimpa1
7/9/15

I sent 2 bags on 2 different occasions but I noted that the good ones (hardly worn, new without tags, in style) that would easily sell and will sell at a higher price were not accepted and those that paid little (cents) were the ones that were accepted. Selling is a rip off. If you plan to sell your items, send your bags with return assurance.

Tip for consumers: Use site for buying items only and buy items that are returnable.

michellel79
7/9/15

This website is ingenious, so happy to have found it. Not only do I constantly clean out my closets but I'm also able to get some great stuff at a discounted rate. And a huge plus: they donate and "recycle responsibly."

daisyr8
7/7/15

I started to purchase from thread up because was in the process of loosing weight and didn't want to overspend on clothes that I would only wear for a few months. To my surprise the clothes were amazing and I continued to purchase from Thread Up even after I reached my goal weight. Of course you have to be realistic because you are buying used clothing so I don't expect perfection but for the most part I have been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the garments that I have received. My suggestions for a great shopping experience are:
1 - Start buy searching through the "new with tag" section you can always find a great deal for a brand new item.
2- Read the details about the garment especially the tiny flaw section they are very honest about imperfection
3- Be frugal but DON'T BE CHEAP - you are getting a steal but don't think that you are going to get the absolute best for $5 be realistic!!
By employing those 3 steps I have gotten some amazing pieces and continue to fill my closet for a steal. I'm addicted to the polka dot box - Thanks Thread UP for this awesome service.

michellem99
7/7/15

Thred Up needs to do a little bit better job being descriptive of what they are selling. The pictures are just not enough. I use Thred Up strictly to purchase work clothes, since I'm required to wear black and white only. The last two black dresses that I ordered, although good name brands, were clearly sold to Thred Up for a reason: shoulder pads not described, tight, low cut-- so my loss. But after waiting so long for delivery, and then crossing my fingers it's worth the price of something at Ross, I could have well, just gone to Ross.

ashleyv12
7/7/15

Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt- what else would those reviewers have done with the clothes they send in to sell? I typically take my clothes to sell to a local consignor where I can get them back if they don't sell. I then try ebay and for whatever doesn't sell through either of those methods, I send the items to ThredUp. I would have taken the clothes to Goodwill anyway, so while it is disappointing when perfect condition items are chosen for sale, what little I earn is more than I would have by donating all of the clothes. I love to buy from ThredUp and their policy of free returns for in-store credit works great for me. It's a little aggravating not to have Customer Service to call, but their email response is always very quick and helpful. I will continue to buy and sell with them.

cindyl37
7/6/15

I purchased a designer purse that was described as can be mistaken for new. No way. The base of the purse had major wear. The description should have indicated a flaw or heavy wear.

allisonh34
7/5/15

I've been using thred up for a couple of years now to shop for clothing for my daughter and myself. I shop there maybe 6 times a year and have sent them clothing to be sold. I have not had any negative experiences to speak of yet. I find their selection to be high quality and their prices reasonable.

rebeccat19
7/1/15

I love this online consignment shop. It has great selection and beautiful pieces.

robertc98
6/30/15

ThredUp nags customers to buy clothes via email with discount codes. These codes often don't work. When you try to contact customer service, they don't respond. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from this company because if you have an issue, you will never get ahold of anyone to help fix it.

annmarief1
6/29/15

Agree with most others about the payouts for high quality items. I've felt very disappointed at times. I have never seen my items that have been rejected resold. If they truly donate my rejected items then I'm ok with that because I'm not necessarily in it for the money. I have gotten some really great deals especially on kids clothes. If you know what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay its definitely a good site to check out frequently. Customer service response time could be better though on lost items and questions. The bag turnaround also never seems to meet promised date.

lisab142
6/29/15

ALWAYS THE BEST DEALS AND STEALS AND SHIPPING IS ALWAYS SUPER DUPER FAST!! QUALITY IS UNSURPASSED!!

emilyg35
6/26/15

I have bought several things that were in great condition. They do have a return policy but its only for 30 days! I have sent one bag in and they "bought" several of the items. I was okay about the price I was getting back until I realized they charged me for the return fee. I don't remember saying I wanted the clothes back. I think its a great idea and there are some things on there that are really great deals, but I am now very selective of what I sent to them and buy from them. I really wish the shipping fee was a little cheaper!

rainz1
6/25/15

I sent my 1st bag of clothes mostly Free People and Urban Outfitters, great styles and almost new! I in return received $12.00. Should've been my first waring but Nooooo....
I sent a second bag of clothes thinking I'd do better since this bag had 7 items from Club Monaco... Ahhh no. I received 50 cents. AND they sold my clothes on their website anyway. They stoled and sold my clothes for profit. Not happy and there's no recourse.

melissag37
6/24/15

I have gotten most of my and my kids's clothes in the last year through thred up and have been very happy with the items! The convenience of being able to browse online and still not contribute to the over-consumption of new clothing is great. Items I've ordered are not too expensive so that if something doesn't work for me I don't mind passing it forward. And I like that I don't just grab a garbage bag full of 2nds at a yardsale or craisglist and end up over-stuffing the kids's closets. Reuse, Reduce, Recycle!

I have used the resell option, but usually don't expect much for a large bag full of items. I like that it feels like I get a discount on my "new" purchases just for turning in items that I would have donated anyhow. If you're looking to resell items for more money, this is not the place to do it. They offer plenty of warnings about that on their site. Not sure why there are so many negative reviews about this.

I love ThredUp and tell lots of folks about it!

maryt76
6/24/15

i have bought from thredUp several times & have always been very pleased with everything I've bought. Great prices great deals.

summerc4
6/20/15

Sent huge bag full of clothes and accessories. Got $5! Absurd!!! Impossible communications. Stay away.

lauraz3
6/20/15

I started using ThredUp after reading about it in Real Simple Magazine. Usually I saved my kids upscale hand me downs for garage sales and I'd make a little cash. But organizing that wasn't as fun for me as it was 10 years ago. ThredUp makes it easy and fun because I trade the kids clothing for beautiful designer bags or clothes for myself. I love browsing the app for finds while I'm waiting at appointments or my kids' practices. Only two complaints is a long wait time until they process your bag-- about one month, but shipping of my own purchases is fast. Would like to see photos of the interiors of bags and better sizing. I've received garments whose tag size does not match reality due to washing and wear. I'll continue as long as I'm able and am ordering another free clean out bag today.

lindaw90
6/19/15

Goodbye ThreadUp. I never realized that PayPal was the ONLY way to cashout at ThreadUp. NO bank transfers, NO paper checks, NO gift cards, NOTHING but PayPal and their crazy 2% fee just to get my OWN money. Other online consignment sites like Twice.com have NO PayPal fees and numerous ways to cashout! Can't understand ThreadUp's policy. Makes NO sense at all! Will no longer sell at ThreadUp!

bethn9
6/19/15

I have been a frequent ThredUp shopper in the last 18 months. I generally have had good luck shopping from the site, for both myself and my kids. However, i will never again sell my clothes to them. I have had very little return for LARGE bags full of quality pieces, including purses and shoes. I would have had better return getting a tax write off by donating to my local thrift store.

maggiej5
6/17/15

I am losing a lot of weight and as a result, my like-new Lands Ends swim seperates are too big so I gave thredup a shot. I got a whopping $4.30 credit for very expensive swimwear. I signed away a chance at getting my items returned and just took a chance. I was not happy and will not use this service again.

mariam151
6/17/15

Have used them several times...they make it easy to send clothing in, so that's a plus. My first bag had sent an unworn very expensive evening cashmere sweater from Neiman Marcus which they rejected which made me question what the criteria is for choosing items.
I have gotten some very good deals that I'm pleased with but cannot help thinking when I'm browsing lately that their prices are way too high...these are recycled used (some new of course) clothing that I could go to my local store and find on sale for about these same prices or less. The real bargain here is when they had their $1 sale...now THAT was fun and scored some good clothing.

cjn3
6/17/15

I enjoyed purchasing from them (especially once they allowed for free returns). However, I won't attempt to sell w/ them again. First, some of it is just logistics as they are in California & I am in Maryland so everything takes a LONG time. Second, I didn't request or pay to get my items back so who know what happened to that brand new Nine West jacket I sent??? It also costs way too much to get your clothes sent back. Very disappointing.

tinar30
6/15/15

I have always just donated my old clothes but since having kids, it made sense to try to sell them and get some of that money back!! I don't have the time to sell it myself. This is where Thredup does everything. I sort through my two kids clothes as well as mine and my husbands. I order a bag and stuff it full. I send it back, free of charge. A couple of weeks later, they let you know how much money you get for the clothes and they donate the rest of the bag. Barely any effort on my part. Over the past 2 years I have probably gotten $1,000. I generally just spend the money on their website, since the kids always need new sizes. The clothes are of high quality. You can barely tell they were already used. I love being able to get $$ for clothes I would have just donated!! It's like free money. And it's so simple!!

joyellj
6/12/15

I consign with many companies and I think Thredup is so easy to use and convenient. I love not having to go some place with my clothes and I think I've been adequately compensated for my clothes. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Thredup as well and always been very pleased.

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
Answer
suzannes13
A: This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.
6/22/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: Did u receive the bag of clothes I sent?
4/14/15
Answer
shandad3
A: Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling
4/17/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP