US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 220 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 47 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 220 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

annao8
12/18/14

I did do my research before I decided to consign with ThredUp. I am incredibly disappointed with my experience. I sent in many high end, quality items. As an example, a Kate Spade purse, used only a few times and in it's original dust bag. They sent it back saying it looked "worn". That was absolutely BS. I went over this bag when it came back to see what they were talking about. I could find NOTHING where it appeared to be worn. They accepted some of my Sweet Pea items, and rejected the others based on them being "too old" yet they were all purchased at the same time. There is no rhyme or reason for what they accept. They did send me an email after I specifically asked what was wrong with my items, but again the answers were not correct. A $400 Kate Spade purse in brand new condition should have been accepted. I chose this site because I thought it would be a perfect place to sell my high end clothes and accessories. I will never use this site to consign again.

valeriej8
12/17/14

This site can be great to buy things, you can find them at a good bargain. I personally will never again send clothes to be sold. I sent them a bag FULL of clothes (a lot of the items still had tags on them) and they only purchased 3 items. I'd rather just donate to my local church.

beccim
12/16/14

This is my favorite clothing website - they have GREAT deals! The trick is to order brands you already know your sizing :) especially great for kids clothes!!

margaretm53
12/14/14

I have bought and sold clothes with ThredUp and am very satisfied with my experience. When I have sent clothes in to be sold I was fairly compensated. I know some customers have complained about the low payouts, but if you see how much the clothes are being sold for (super cheap!) then there should not be any surprises. It also beats the hassle of using other consignment websites where I have to do all the work (answer emails, haggle the price, and ship each piece individually) and the website still taking a 50% commission! I am also very satisfied with the items I have purchased through ThredUp. I have bought clothes for myself and for my children. Out of my multiple orders, I have only had one order that had clothes that did not meet my expectations. They were non-returnable items, but when I sent an email to customer service about my order, they promptly responded and allowed me to return the clothes I was not happy with. Their customer service was very quick and courteous.

samanthar17
12/11/14

This website is an internet shopper's dream!! Brand new and near brand new designer clothes for a STEAL!! They have a large number of items in each size, kids and women's included.

Tip for consumers: Have plenty of money available!!

langa
12/11/14

I love ThredUp! I was able to find jeans and jackets in my size for about 75-90% less than in the store, awesome. I got 3 pairs of jeans and 3 jackets foir one regularly priced pair of jeans. They offer great brands at good prices! I also loved selling stuff with the polka dot bag. Thank you Thref Up!

Tip for consumers: As with selling any used item, don't expect to get a ton of money back. Just think of it as money that one would not have if it were sitting in the closest!

victoriab13
12/9/14

I absolutely love and adore Thredup. It allows me to buy whatever fashion trend is out at the moment, and my favorite brands at a fraction of the price. I would much rather own something of better quality than pay retail at Forever21 for example. I have only had positive experiences with the website and customer service reps. I have sent several bags to sell and purchase items on a regular basis. Shipping is extremely fast since I live in California, and returning items is the easiest I've ever encountered with any clothing site.

Thank you for making pricier fashion more affordable for us working moms! I don't feel guilty when I buy one or two items for myself on this site because it's usually 70% or more off of retail. I also follow on facebook and instagram + the phone app so I get coupons regularly.

I cannot say enough good things about Thredup! Everyone is extremely friendly and all of their messages on social media and email are positive and uplifting. I hope this company is extremely successful so it will last FOREVER! :)

Tip for consumers: One tip might be to start searching for brands that you know your sizing in already. Make sure to use the filter buttons on the left and always look at the fabric content to see if things are stretchy or not.

I also sometimes click on the sellers back to see what size the other items are and in other brands. This helps to know if something runs smaller or larger. :)

georgettek
12/8/14

O ill no sell my clothes threw thred up agam. The pay out is nothing. I sent them 10 pieces of practically new clothing one which was a beautiful never worn dress that cost $100.00. My total payout for everything including some nice purses was $33.00. That's it. The clothes they sell are okay, but some are stained or flawed. My least favorite thrift option to sell my clothes.

erinm33
12/3/14

So far we have not actually consigned any clothing with ThredUp but we have made multiple purchases and love them! Having the choice to buy our clothing used instead of new is fabulous because it is simply better for the environment to reuse.

The website is very well organized and makes it very easy to find petite sizes and our favorite brand kid's clothing. The customer service responds quickly and is very helpful. We will definitely shop with ThredUp again in the future.

kathyk23
11/30/14

Wish I had read this site before consigning with them. They tell you what brands they won't accept and then you go on there and they sell the same brands they say they won't accept. I have not bought anything from them, yet. However, I will never consign with them again. I had a terrible experience with them returning items in perfect condition, name brands (Banana Republic, Gap, BCBG) for no apparent reason. When something did sell the message I got had the wrong size. I still have a pair of Madden (Steven) boots for sale but the message says "pending" because it's in the process of being purchased. That message has been on there for over a month. I picture a huge warehouse where all these bags are sent and people working like slaves around the clock. I made $21 when I could have sold them on Craigslist or ebay and made out better.

christinec26
11/28/14

Please, donate directly to charity - Thredup will take your clothing items and give you a pittance in return, even if you follow all their guidelines. They seem dishonest. I don't see how they can stay in business for long without a change in their business practices. Is management even listening? Or, are they the problem...

saraha45
11/28/14

I don't mind buying from them, but you have to be careful when selling.
As far as purchasing goes, using their website is fantastic because of the well designed filters. Sure beats sorting through racks at a consignment store! However, of the numerous purchases I've made I'm pleased with about 85%. Sometimes their labeling is incorrect (i.e. Levi jeans for one of my sons wasn't labeled as skinny and should have been).
As far as selling goes, just as the other reviewers have noted, beware. I've sent in three bags stuffed full (all adhering strictly to their guidelines) and have had a very slim acceptance. I've been pleased with less than half of the prices elicited from my items (i.e. BRAND NEW, never worn, pair of ballet flat TOMS sold for around $10). If you're sending in current fashion brands like Banana Republic or Ann Taylor you'll do ok, but don't bother sending in anything lower end like Old Navy or higher end because you won't get the prices you'd expect. Not only that, but it's a complete mystery how they select items. As I already mentioned, I adhere to their guidelines and they still only accept a few items from my bags. Now I will only send in items that I would otherwise donate to Goodwill or give away to others. That way I'm not disappointed when my items aren't accepted.

Tip for consumers: Decent for purchasing, not so great for selling

maggied3
11/27/14

I've alwaus had a great l experience with thredup, in regards to purchases. I will say that a TON of things that are in amazing condition of mine, was turned away. I have always gotten amazing quality clothing, but I am seeing things creeping upwards, in price.

jessicam85
11/25/14

I would give Thredup 0 stars if that was an option. I wish I had done my homework and read the reviews before consigning with them (they have 153 complaints on file with the Better Business Bureau, and they will have 154 when I am through). First, there is no transparency as to their review system, and I legitimately believe they are stealing from their sellers. I have consigned with them 3 times. Given their stringent standards, I was somewhat shocked the first time I sent a bag in and they sold my brand-new, never worn leather Ugg boots with a wedge heel for $34. I paid $295 for them. Yet they sold my 6 year old Banana Republic blazer for $47. After getting what I thought was a good feel for what they accept, I decided to entrust them with some of the more high-end pieces that I had been nervous to send because of their deep discounting (shame on me, I should have known after they sold the Uggs at a Walmart price). Imagine my shock to discover that they did not accept my brand-new, never worn $198 Citizens of Humanity jeans with the tags still attached, a current season Banana Republic dress that was only worn once and was in PRISTINE condition, and a $380 Laundry by Shelli Segal dress that was also worn only once and did not have so much as a wrinkle on it. My inquiries to their non-existent customer service have gone unanswered. Upon further research of this company, it seems that many other sellers have had high-end pieces mysteriously rejected with no explanation or account of where these items have gone or why brand-new merchandise from designers on their approved list have been rejected. I 100% believe this company is stealing high-end items from their sellers. In contrast to the brand-new items which were somehow mysteriously rejected from my bag, they did accept several old items from me that were not in nearly as good shape as the pristine designer pieces I sent (and yet, my brand-new Citizens of Humanity jeans have somehow gone missing). Considering that I have now read so many other reviews of sellers who had the same experience, it is my belief that they are keeping the higher end pieces and doing whatever they want with them, after all, we are not provided with any reason as to why our items have been rejected.

bettyg8
11/25/14

I love Thread Up! It has become one of my favorite stores to find good deals on quality clothes without spending a lot of money. I also love their referral programs. Those $10 add up pretty quick when you spread the world :-)

Tip for consumers: Use the search bar to find your favorite brands and size. It will save you time

christinab21
11/24/14

My comment on thredup is strictly based on kids clothes. I scanned the site and saw some really high prices for some really warn out stuff. A pair of dirty,warn new balances for $17.00?? This confirms my notion that consignment for kids items is for suckers. Most businesses give you next to nothing for your items and sell them for too much just to pay for the overhead and still turn a profit. And people fall for the high end brands thinking they are getting a deal. I have three kids and have always found awesome deals on brand new name brand items. You just have to shop smart. Always use coupons and never buy unless it's on clearance. The big name kids retailers get so many collections that they almost always go on clearance before they are out of season. Just bought 4 pairs of boys corduroys for $5 each at gymboree. Dont buy consignment for kids ....they're ripping you off!

lises2
11/24/14

Well, I've never purchased from them but have sent in many bags of clothes. I have questioned why they seem to take dreck but have not accepted some really lovely designer pieces; I gave them the benefit of the doubt. However, I am writing this review because they just rejected a BRAND NEW WITH TAGS, gorgeous Badgely Mischka handbag worth more than $300. I was so sure it would be accepted, I didn't purchase return assurance. You'd better believe they are selling it somewhere. I don't trust this company and will no longer do business with them. Seller, beware.

Tip for consumers: Buy, don't sell.

lino93
11/19/14

I sent them 2 pairs of never worn Gap jeans and 3 Old Navy shirts that had also never been worn, everything was in mint condition. I got $14 lousy dollars. What a rip off. I was hoping for minimum of $5 each garment. Never again will I deal with them, buy or sell.

Tip for consumers: Buyer/Seller beware!

rjs7
11/18/14

Thredup isn't bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I sent in some items that I normally would have just donated to a local thrift shop. My clothing was from middle of the road retailers, not high end but not Walmart quality either, think Kohls, American Eagle, Lane Bryant, etc. I sent around 25 items that were all in good shape but none had tags. I got just over $12 for my bag. I was satisfied enough with that payment because, as I said above, I otherwise would have just dropped them in a donation box somewhere and got nothing. Thredup also donates the clothes they don't buy, which is good.

One thing that worries me is the bag fee. Right now, it's waived but apparently they sometimes charge you $5 as insurance that they will get their bag back. If this fee continues to be waived then I will definitely send in more clothes later on. If not, then I probably won't send any more because you could actually end up with less money that you started with. I couldn't see this working unless you are guaranteed to get at least $5 for your clothing. There is also one other thing I didn't like: the wait times. You should be prepared to wait almost two months for your bag to be inspected because it takes them that long. I was really surprised by that! They should definitely try to speed their process up quite a bit.

My advice would be to only send in items that you are okay with losing so you won't be upset if your bag only gets a few dollars or even nothing (which I've heard can happen). If you have the option and desire to bring your clothes to a local consignment shop for appraisal first or the time to try to sell your clothes at a better price at a yard sale, then go for it because you'll probably make more money that way. But if you're like me and don't have any consignment shops around and are too busy to have a hard sale, then this is a great option.

Overall I would recommend Thredup if you would be happier with a few dollars than nothing for your old clothes. I would not recommend it to people who are looking to get back a significant percentage of the money they spent on the clothes. I haven't bought anything from the site yet, but I imagine it will be fine. They have cute stuff and it's available in all sizes including juniors and plus.

deee6
11/17/14

Do not send them anything!! They will rob you. I sent over 25 items including a Banana Republic handbag they are selling for $36, an original Kate Spade handbag and many more items all in excellent condition and current styles. I wasn't expecting to get much because I understand how it all works, but I figured maybe a dollar an item at least. It took them nearly a month to process my bag! When they finally contacted me, I got $3.00!!! Oh well, I was curious. I don't know how they get away with such terrible business ethics.

Tip for consumers: The only thing they could be nicely rated for is the nice bag they send for your stuff that they steal. Haha

maryn36
11/8/14

I am totally pleased with the quality of items I receive, but I placed two large orders thinking I could easily send back the unwanted items for no charge. That was NOT the case. I was able to find this answer on the Q&A page after having received my orders but this was not entirely clear up front so in the end I paid almost $20 to return 1/4 of my items. To me its only worth it if I am familiar with the brand and sizing so that I know for sure that the item will fit.

erical10
11/8/14

Dont sell... its not worth it! But buying is a whole other story! I buy from them very frequently for myself and my son and we love the experience! Shipping takes awhile but Ive been pleased with what I recieved everytime. I think Ive placed around 30 orders so thats pretty impressive :)

darlas4
11/2/14

I have bought a few different times and have been happy every time. I will keep buying from thred-up.

rachaelr3
10/30/14

I have sold (once, never again) and bought a good amount of times. I would have to say, as far as selling goes, don't bother. Id rather give the clothes to somebody in need than get pennies on the dollar from them.

When you buy clothes from them, I believe you have to be very careful as they use the manuf. price and not what the store sells it for. So, in reality you're not really saving what they make it out to be. All the clothes I have bought have been in VERY good condition. My biggest complaint is they codes that NEVER seem to work for me!

Tip for consumers: Know the brand you're buying and the true cost otherwise you might not get such a good deal.

rained
10/30/14

thredUP is an excellent shopping site. I've saved hundreds of dollars so far. Their prices are accurate and very reasonable for the items, and their descriptions are very accurate. I really like the filtering system and you can create saved searches and get notified when something new arrives that you may like. I do wish that you could mark your favorites because there are so many items it can be difficult to go back. Overall I recommend this site for anyone who loves fashion and saving money.

Tip for consumers: I add items to my cart even if I'm not sure if I am going to get them and then I just filter my choices at the checkout. It's so much easier than trying to find an item you want to go back and find.

theresao6
10/28/14

THIS SITE SUCKS! 0 STARS i would never recommend anyone to sell to or buy from this company. Better off donating and getting the write off yourself.

Tip for consumers: DONT DO IT

cb70
10/28/14

If I could give this site 0 stars, I would. Like so many other reviewers who have sold here, I learned that the site was a complete rip off. They say that they pay up to 80% on designer items. But that's not true. I sent in 6 Isabel Marant for H&M brand new with tags items, each worth at least $100 and being sold on eBay for at least as much, because they are limited edition under no longer available, yet, they paid me only a few dollars each and sold them for $25 each. This means that I made less than 5% of what they sold it for - which was a paltry 15-25% of its retail value!!! So, I made 3-5% of its CURRENT RETAIL VALUE!

That's HALF or less than I would have made if I taken them to a consignment store - even a notoriously stingy one like Buffalo Exchange, where one gets 30-50% of what they sell the item 4, which is 30% of its preceived current value!

The rest of my 3 bags were very similar. Almost everything was brand spanking new with tags, all of which were brands that are on their approved list.

Most from 2 bags were accepted & all sold almost immediately. Imediately!

But, they informed me that NONE of the contents of my third bag were acceptable! Yet, again, I had brand new with tags things that are on there accepted list in there, along with things like a brand new pair of hot, platform, high-heeled, stiletto gold Bebe shoes that I sadly, realized I couldn't bear after wearing them in my home at a dinner party, for only a few hours! How on earth could those be unacceptable?

So, for all three bags - stuffed to the brim w/ beautiful, 90% NWT, I received only $70 and a few cents - all upfront. What the hell?!

I wrote and told them that they had broken my heart, because I had ordered 7 more bags, in anticipation of sending them a bunch of gorgeous brand new & lightly used things, in an effort to make room in my closet. I was so thrilled to have found them! I was telling everybody about them. Now, I'm telling everyone to avoid them like the plague.

And the thing is, I write about fashion, style and shopping and have 45 years now. And when I get the chance, believe me, I'm going to write a blistering article about them. I was hoping to write a fantastic article recommending them, but, since the customer service response was also so lacking, it will be the former, and not the latter.

And I need to look into making sure they send that paltry payment to my PayPal account. Because there's no way in heck I'm going to buy on their site, giving them MORE, even though it clearly is the place to buy, not sell.

Tip for consumers: Don't sell here! Period.

mp49
10/28/14

I will never use this web site again!!Sent them 11 pairs of shoes ..they only bought 6 and paid me $83.00 the rest they said they are sending to charity but they shoes where in perfect condition and very expensive and you know they are re selling them. Terrible experience and dont sell to them

veronicat4
10/26/14

This site used to be good for buying clothes but it's always been terrible for consigning your clothes. I have bought and sold (mailed in my clothes) on this site. As for buying, things used to be priced well for used items and their return policy was good. This has all changed. When you place items in your cart, they will without notice jump up in price. Anywhere from .50 per item to $1.50 per item. When you're buying 10-20 items, it really adds up. In recent orders, several of my items where in poor condition (stains, bad wash & wear, holes), even though they were listed as "practically new". Obviously, they have some employees that aren't trained right or just don't care. It's a hassle and a disappointment when I have to send back an item I was really excited about, but at least I was able to return it with no problem. This has changed. All of their items are now marked as "final sale, no returns". Are you kidding me??!! This wouldn't be a problem buying at a regular store since you could examine the item before purchasing. This however, doesn't work for used items that are incorrectly labeled or poorly examined by employees. I'm definitely looking for another site to buy.
Selling: DON'T SELL ON HERE!!! They will literally give you $.05-.10 per high-end items in perfect conditions. Seriously, no joke! They are awful and terribly inconsistent. Again, poor training. You are better off selling anywhere else. Avoid at all costs.
Another thing, their customer service is hit or miss, sometimes you get acceptable service, other times you get a crappy representative that just doesn't care. Just pray that you get a good one. Or... Just avoid using this site,

Tip for consumers: Just save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

ruthw14
10/26/14

I would say this is a business that is going through some major growing pains and seems a bit disjointed if you are looking at them as an avenue to make extra money selling your clothes. The only thing I now will send into thred up is if i have a bag of NEW with tags clothing, otherwise.. I will NOT send in a thing. I use another company for that type of thing and they are more than fair.

As for buying, I like buying for the most part . Some prices have gone up significantly during their "growing pains" and for those reasons I have stopped buying as much as I once did, as I can find better deals at other places. Shipping to you is not bad at all. Time to process your bags I would rate as average, due to their expansion. Search function is nice. Customer service seems to be O.K.

As a whole I do not use the clean out bag function as I get better pricing and selection elsewhere. As a buyer, I am still buying a few things, but prices have gone up significantly, some to the point where I can buy the same item NEW other places for the same or lower price.

Hopefully they revise their selling model and go back to what worked for them before all of this major expansion happened.

Tip for consumers: Don't send in items unless they are PERFECT. Use a UV light to check for any stains and photograph your items when you send them in. Be prepared to buy back your things via return shipping. If you are not comfortable doing this, do NOT send in items.

marinar2
10/24/14

I purchased 9 items. Most of them were described as "practically new". A couple of them were described as having "a teeny flaw - a mark that will come out in the wash."

Here's what I found: 1 blouse was faded and missing a snap in front. One of the t-shirts had deodorant stains, smelled of BO and had 2 small, but pretty noticeable holes in the mid-back. There was a jacket that I loved when I tried it on in my dimly lit room - but when I saw it in the light of day - water stains (or something) down the entire right arm, the left breast and left pocket. And the price of the jacket - $137, described as practically new.

So yeah, I have to say. ThredUp is an experiment I won't be trying again.

Tip for consumers: Look very carefully over any items you purchase - don't assume the description of the condition is accurate.

saras56
10/24/14

I love getting my clothes through thredup. And if something doesn't work it is easy to return. Plus filling a polka dot bag with my stuff is a great feeling!

lisah90
10/24/14

Be very careful about returning items! They claim that shipping is free but in reality they are deducting part of you return. So if you paid $20 for a top, you are refunded $17. This really adds up over time. I have lost probably $50 in returns over the past year before I realized what they were doing.

carolynm19
10/24/14

I have purchased items and sold them through ThredUp. I have made close to $400. They are very particular when buying items which can be frustrating sometimes as a seller but when I am purchasing the items I am very happy they are so discriminating. Will continue to use ThredUp, especially when looking for special occasion outfits for my children.

christiep2
10/21/14

I've been obsessed with thredup for YEARS now. It's hands down the best way to shop. You can filter down to such a specific want, that it is almost impossible to not find what you're looking for. Shipping takes a week to get to Indiana which sucks, but it arrives in a pretty box and everything is so nicely put together. Main drawback is HOW LONG it takes to get funds/credit for your cleanout bag. It's actually ridiculous. It takes about a month.

alissas1
10/21/14

I think this website is great for bargains on great quality clothes and gives the opportunity for us to sell our own products on a huge viewed website. It's a win win, shop and sell all on the same account!!

Tip for consumers: Returns can be tricky, unless they changed it recently.

debbiee8
10/15/14

I am only giving this company 1 star because its a required field on this website. I sent a handbag to them in MINT condition (I only used it 3x) only to have them tell me it had a hole in it and some threads on it. I accepted their assessment (because I had no choice) and asked them to remove 12.99 from my account to send it back to me. It never came back. They somehow sent my bag to someone in California ( I live in Texas) and somehow could not find where my bag went.. it was just 'lost'. I feel that it had no intention on coming back to me (because I could then see that it was NOT damaged), but instead went to someone in the 'friend zone', and I wouldn't know the difference. I emailed the CEO of the company 3x and talked to support 3X and I couldnt seem to make them understand this issue. The CEO - on the final (third) email that i sent him - punted my request to support who gave me (once again) the canned answer. The CEO couldnt even apologize to me - just handed it off to a minion. I feel that their practices are deceptive and dishonest.

cassandrak2
10/15/14

I like it. I get the clothes I order relatively quickly. Although the last bag I sent was in the middle of a very busy time, they offered to pay a flat fee for the bag since they were unable to get to it in a reasonable time. The amount was very fair as far as I am concerned. I feel I get great deals. My only hold up is the fit for brands I don't usually buy. I usually try to stick with brands I know fit well, such as Old Navy. I recommend to friends. The inclusion of maternity clothes is a GREAT idea! I think the women's clothes is a good idea, but maybe a little over the top.

mollyd3
10/15/14

I sent in a bag crammed full of designer items- two of which I just bought from them a couple months ago and never wore. I checked and made sure they sold all of the brands/ similar items. A month later I get my payout and its 2.25! They took a belt and a tank top and chucked the rest of my clothes. I feel robbed! I will never shop there again.

Tip for consumers: The site is okay for buyers but don't bother selling to them unless you want to be angry!

laurah50
10/12/14

I love certain things about Thredup, while quite disappointed in others. First, disappointments: I had my eye on a pair of NYDJ crop pants and had put them in my cart-- priced at $13.99, but forgot to check out with in the 24 hour period. The following day, I went to buy them, only to find that they had more than DOUBLED in price -- now $28.49. I contacted customer service to ask why, and they said that market price for that brand had changed and they had to up the price. Ok, but more than double? That seems extreme. Similar NYDJ sell on TWICE.com for about $18. If they need to raise the price, it should only be a few dollars! Second disappointment: I cleaned out my closet and very carefully selected and sent only items on their accepted list that were in perfect condition. I sent in 20 items only to have 8 accepted, with a payout of about $10. So, not quite what I expected, but I would get rid of the clothes anyways, and it is nice to at least get a few dollars out of them. Lastly, their search options and item descriptions could be better... Sometimes I've had items in my cart and haven't check out in time, and finding them again can be quite the ANNOYING task. TWICE has measurements and colors in the item descriptions, which is super helpful. I bought a 100% cotton J Crew black blazer from Thredup that I thought appeared to be corduroy. It was actually velvet, which is still nice, but not what I expected.
Now for the positives: I love finding near new cloths for a great price. It's so nice to "thrift shop" in the comfort of my own home, knowing that all the clothes are going to be in great condition. It's so much easier than hunting at goodwill or similar for clothes. I love that they also sell kids and maternity clothes. I love their packaging. I love that I get free shipping if I spend $50. I wish they would offer coupons for returning customers a bit more frequently. Overall, I'll keep shopping with Thredup, despite some frustrations.

janea18
10/12/14

This site is perfect for people with kids! I hate spending so much money on clothes for my kids especially during a growth spurt. $20 for a shirt they will only wear once or twice is insane. They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. The only complaint I have is that sometime clothes are improperly sized ie I bought side 9 shoes and instead they were size 6. But that's just human error, for the most part it's an amazing idea and I always tell all of my friends about it.

valeriea2
10/9/14

As a buyer, I love this site. I can get great clothes for myself or my daughter. As a seller, I do not love this site. I've sent several bags of maternity clothes and kids clothes, only for them to take literally 4 garments out of the whole bag. They say they don't take certain brands but then I see them posted on their website still. Also, I've noticed recently there hasn't been quite the selection at least in my daughters size available lately. The selection is getting to be slim because they're so picky! I've also seen pleas to send in clothes because they're in need but I've decided not to waste my time packing up and sending clothes that they'll just donate and not buy.

lorenp3
10/7/14

Selling to Thredup.com: JUST DON'T DO IT! It might seem like an easy, convenient way to get rid of your no longer used clothing, but you will most likely be disappointed. It will take thredup about a month just to process your clothing bag and let you know about your meager payout. Then you must wait an additional two weeks to claim your money minus a 2% Paypal fee. I sent in a full bag of high end designer clothing (brand names including: Salvatore Ferragamo, Miu Miu, J Crew, Theory, etc.) and just a handful were accepted. On just how ridiculous this is, the Miu Miu boots were brand new $800 (I had to get rid of because I got the wrong size and could no longer return) shoes that I figured would for sure be accepted because of their perfect high end condition... but no these classic boots were somehow out of style and donated because I had forgotten to pay $15 for the return option. I emailed Thredup support about this matter, and although they were quick in responding they basically told me I was SOL. Instead of my high end, brand new items being accepted, Thredup thought it was a good idea to accept the couple of cheap fast fashion items I threw in as an afterthought from Target and Forever 21.

I have also sold to liketwice.com, and although the payout is a little low, the overall experience was better than Thredup in every conceivable way: I don't have to wait for a 'polka dot bag' in the mail to send my stuff to Twice, they process my clothing items quickly and fairly, I can get my payout immediately without an extra fee or choose to get more money for in store credit, or I can decide AFTER seeing the offer if I want my clothing back for a fair fee. Overall, though if you have the time, ebay would be the best bet for getting the most $ for your clothing. I know that I WILL NEVER SELL OR BUY FROM THREDUP .COM EVER AGAIN.

Tip for consumers: Selling to Thredup.com: JUST DON'T DO IT!

anneh27
10/5/14

Maybe this site is OK for buyers, but sellers STAY AWAY. This is a serious scam. I came across a recommendation for this site from a blogger, so thought I would give it a try since I had some clothes I was weeding out of my closet that were brand new or only worn once. I checked each item to make sure it was a brand and size they accepted.

They paid up front for about half the items, but did not accept the other half, including items like a new-with-tags J Jill silk blouse. I followed up with them because I assumed there was a mistake. They sent me an item-by-item reason for non-acceptance of the items they “didn’t take.” Each one was completely phony.

For example “not current style” … for a pair of new-with-tags slacks that were purchased within the last two years and are still sold on the LL Bean (a brand they said they accept) website. Or “not current style” for a pair of Vionic sandals that were the same (same style, same size, different color) as a pair they *did* accept (both new). The new J Jill silk blouse was allegedly rejected due to “brand not accepted” … even though it was listed as an accepted brand, and there were J Jill items for sale on the website! And so on. Their guidelines on what they accept are completely phony, and I find it very hard to believe they do not sell (somewhere) or otherwise benefit from some of the “non-accepted” items, since in my case they were the most valuable among the items I sent.

Checking around since, I see that there are tons of similar complaints from sellers. Wish I'd seen them first. I was so burned by this place that I now have no faith in on-line consignment in general. From now on, I’ll just donate my clothes and let the local thrift stores benefit.

alexisj11
10/2/14

I sent a bag of items to be sold, and while some were accepted, I opted for the Return Assurance and had the rest sent back to me. SO many garments were MISSING! I was appalled.

renas1
10/2/14

It's fun to pick out clothes from this site. My oldest is a teenage girl, so she really enjoyed that. But sometimes items are not in the correct category. For example, I ordered several school shirts for my boys and almost half were actually for girls (they buttoned the other way). It was annoying, but ThredUp paid the return shipping on them and refunded me.
It would also be helpful if dresses and skirts had a length listed, some of them do and some of them don't so it's hard to know how they'll fit.

I have had success as a seller too. I've sent in 3 bags so far, 2 have been processed already and I'm happy with the amount they paid. You do have to be very careful to check which brands are accepted by them or you'll be disappointed. And keep in mind the actual processing of a bag takes a long time. It takes over 2 weeks to get to their warehouse (we live in NY and they're in CA) and another 2 weeks for them to go through it. So you need patience.

amyh48
10/2/14

I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1998, but with my now-teenage son competing in ice dance, I just don't have the time anymore to list, sell and manage clothing listings, but still need to get them sold to pay for all his ice time and coaching fees. I was admittedly a bit skeptical about Thredup's cleanout bag service when I heard about it, especially since I saw quite a few negative reviews.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how things worked out! They accepted almost all the items in my bag, gave me a more than fair price for them, and were meticulous in their listings. Any small flaw, no matter how microscopic, was mentioned in their listings, so if you are buying items, you really will be getting EXACTLY what is described. I'm now getting another bag ready to send with my high end designer pieces.
Thank you!

kristins14
10/1/14

My friends and I love shopping with thredUP! We can get great deals on the brand names we love. The clothing is always in great condition, even though it is second hand. I also love, love, love the way they package the clothing. It comes in a cute box and wrapped up perfectly!

erind18
9/30/14

For me, the whole thredup experience has been great!
Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. Plus picking out new-to-me clothes is great fun - especially the moment they arrive, which is always quicker than I expect. My kids get excited when they see a polka dot box arrive too because they're is always something for them inside. Return policy is no-hassle as well!

hollyi2
9/30/14

I just purchased two coach bags from the website. First of all, one was marked practically new no flaws. - that one was fine.
However the other bag said minor flaw - scratch you can't even see etc. The entire leather bottom of bag is scratched, smells like smoke and had dirt in the pockets. Obviously someone isn't doing their job, I would have never purchased this bag had I known what damage it had, They should show pictures of the actual damage, as well as of the inside of the bag.

Tip for consumers: Double and triple check everything you read, and look elsewhere for a bag.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
jessicah27
A: I want to buy something from here,but i am very iffy about it. I have a 10$ off code and the shipping is only 2.99$ Good deal,but it seems too good to be true? Is this site 100% legit? Who has actually bought from here?
5/26/13
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

4 Photos for thredUP