US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 303 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 303 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 64 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

rebeccat19
7/1/15

I love this online consignment shop. It has great selection and beautiful pieces.

robertc98
6/30/15

ThredUp nags customers to buy clothes via email with discount codes. These codes often don't work. When you try to contact customer service, they don't respond. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from this company because if you have an issue, you will never get ahold of anyone to help fix it.

annmarief1
6/29/15

Agree with most others about the payouts for high quality items. I've felt very disappointed at times. I have never seen my items that have been rejected resold. If they truly donate my rejected items then I'm ok with that because I'm not necessarily in it for the money. I have gotten some really great deals especially on kids clothes. If you know what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay its definitely a good site to check out frequently. Customer service response time could be better though on lost items and questions. The bag turnaround also never seems to meet promised date.

lisab142
6/29/15

ALWAYS THE BEST DEALS AND STEALS AND SHIPPING IS ALWAYS SUPER DUPER FAST!! QUALITY IS UNSURPASSED!!

emilyg35
6/26/15

I have bought several things that were in great condition. They do have a return policy but its only for 30 days! I have sent one bag in and they "bought" several of the items. I was okay about the price I was getting back until I realized they charged me for the return fee. I don't remember saying I wanted the clothes back. I think its a great idea and there are some things on there that are really great deals, but I am now very selective of what I sent to them and buy from them. I really wish the shipping fee was a little cheaper!

rainz1
6/25/15

I sent my 1st bag of clothes mostly Free People and Urban Outfitters, great styles and almost new! I in return received $12.00. Should've been my first waring but Nooooo....
I sent a second bag of clothes thinking I'd do better since this bag had 7 items from Club Monaco... Ahhh no. I received 50 cents. AND they sold my clothes on their website anyway. They stoled and sold my clothes for profit. Not happy and there's no recourse.

melissag37
6/24/15

I have gotten most of my and my kids's clothes in the last year through thred up and have been very happy with the items! The convenience of being able to browse online and still not contribute to the over-consumption of new clothing is great. Items I've ordered are not too expensive so that if something doesn't work for me I don't mind passing it forward. And I like that I don't just grab a garbage bag full of 2nds at a yardsale or craisglist and end up over-stuffing the kids's closets. Reuse, Reduce, Recycle!

I have used the resell option, but usually don't expect much for a large bag full of items. I like that it feels like I get a discount on my "new" purchases just for turning in items that I would have donated anyhow. If you're looking to resell items for more money, this is not the place to do it. They offer plenty of warnings about that on their site. Not sure why there are so many negative reviews about this.

I love ThredUp and tell lots of folks about it!

maryt76
6/24/15

i have bought from thredUp several times & have always been very pleased with everything I've bought. Great prices great deals.

summerc4
6/20/15

Sent huge bag full of clothes and accessories. Got $5! Absurd!!! Impossible communications. Stay away.

lauraz3
6/20/15

I started using ThredUp after reading about it in Real Simple Magazine. Usually I saved my kids upscale hand me downs for garage sales and I'd make a little cash. But organizing that wasn't as fun for me as it was 10 years ago. ThredUp makes it easy and fun because I trade the kids clothing for beautiful designer bags or clothes for myself. I love browsing the app for finds while I'm waiting at appointments or my kids' practices. Only two complaints is a long wait time until they process your bag-- about one month, but shipping of my own purchases is fast. Would like to see photos of the interiors of bags and better sizing. I've received garments whose tag size does not match reality due to washing and wear. I'll continue as long as I'm able and am ordering another free clean out bag today.

lindaw90
6/19/15

Goodbye ThreadUp. I never realized that PayPal was the ONLY way to cashout at ThreadUp. NO bank transfers, NO paper checks, NO gift cards, NOTHING but PayPal and their crazy 2% fee just to get my OWN money. Other online consignment sites like Twice.com have NO PayPal fees and numerous ways to cashout! Can't understand ThreadUp's policy. Makes NO sense at all! Will no longer sell at ThreadUp!

bethn9
6/19/15

I have been a frequent ThredUp shopper in the last 18 months. I generally have had good luck shopping from the site, for both myself and my kids. However, i will never again sell my clothes to them. I have had very little return for LARGE bags full of quality pieces, including purses and shoes. I would have had better return getting a tax write off by donating to my local thrift store.

maggiej5
6/17/15

I am losing a lot of weight and as a result, my like-new Lands Ends swim seperates are too big so I gave thredup a shot. I got a whopping $4.30 credit for very expensive swimwear. I signed away a chance at getting my items returned and just took a chance. I was not happy and will not use this service again.

mariam151
6/17/15

Have used them several times...they make it easy to send clothing in, so that's a plus. My first bag had sent an unworn very expensive evening cashmere sweater from Neiman Marcus which they rejected which made me question what the criteria is for choosing items.
I have gotten some very good deals that I'm pleased with but cannot help thinking when I'm browsing lately that their prices are way too high...these are recycled used (some new of course) clothing that I could go to my local store and find on sale for about these same prices or less. The real bargain here is when they had their $1 sale...now THAT was fun and scored some good clothing.

cjn3
6/17/15

I enjoyed purchasing from them (especially once they allowed for free returns). However, I won't attempt to sell w/ them again. First, some of it is just logistics as they are in California & I am in Maryland so everything takes a LONG time. Second, I didn't request or pay to get my items back so who know what happened to that brand new Nine West jacket I sent??? It also costs way too much to get your clothes sent back. Very disappointing.

tinar30
6/15/15

I have always just donated my old clothes but since having kids, it made sense to try to sell them and get some of that money back!! I don't have the time to sell it myself. This is where Thredup does everything. I sort through my two kids clothes as well as mine and my husbands. I order a bag and stuff it full. I send it back, free of charge. A couple of weeks later, they let you know how much money you get for the clothes and they donate the rest of the bag. Barely any effort on my part. Over the past 2 years I have probably gotten $1,000. I generally just spend the money on their website, since the kids always need new sizes. The clothes are of high quality. You can barely tell they were already used. I love being able to get $$ for clothes I would have just donated!! It's like free money. And it's so simple!!

joyellj
6/12/15

I consign with many companies and I think Thredup is so easy to use and convenient. I love not having to go some place with my clothes and I think I've been adequately compensated for my clothes. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Thredup as well and always been very pleased.

lalat
6/11/15

All process is so slow.The worst thing is to wait for own money next 14 days of and guess what- after 14 day nothing happen any cash out.After write customer services,find world mat ThredUP don't now.From Maj 26 is 14 days Jun 17...liars who have hold you money and make many at bank from your money and your stuff sold.

meryls1
6/11/15

Thredup could offer a little more than they for consignment if the clothes are in EXCELLENT condition, but it makes sense they have to turn a decent profit to keep the deals great and the site running. Plus i figure, at least i am getting something for them! The main reason I love thredup is to shop. It's like an addiction that saves me a great deal of money! It's always exciting too because you never know what you will find! Seven jeans for 5 bucks? Yes please!

stacyl32
6/8/15

Consigning items with thredup was a huge waste of my time. I wish I had just donated the items to people in need. The amount I received for my clean, in style, name brand items was disgraceful and insulting. I hope I can save someone from having the same experience I did. Please try to find another place to consign your items.

thredups
6/8/15

I used Thred Up both for consigning and purchasing items previously. As a consignor, I recognized I would not receive a huge percentage of what the items were actually worth, but I had to admit that it was convenient. I was selective in brand, age of clothing, and like-new condition, yet not many items were selected and paid out by Thred Up.

I was on the fence about ever consigning with Thred Up again, but wanted to easily rid myself of my entire maternity wardrobe for two babies (born in two different seasons), so I foolishly decided I would consign again. I sent in a bag STUFFED full of name brand maternity clothes. Almost the entire bag was from The Gap - with a few additional pieces from department stores such as Nordstrom.

Unfortunately, the Thred Up bag I used I had received from diapers.com so it was not automatically activated to my account like my previous bags. I do understand that it was my error to send a bag without activating it. This was clearly my mistake. Then, Thred Up made multiple mistakes that clearly show a lack of professionalism, fair business practices, and good consciousness.

FACT: The bag I sent was opened despite the fact that Thred Up did not know who sent it or where it came from!!!

FACT: The items in the bag were then posted on the Thred Up website to be sold without Thred Up knowing who sent them!!!

FACT: The items in the bag were not all sold together, as I found on the Thred Up website an entire "bag" being sold that had some of my items as well as other, individual items, that were also being sold on the Thred Up website separately!

FACT: The bag containing multiple items was listed on the Thred Up website as having come from a "family in San Francisco," although it absolutely did not. I don't even live on the west coast. This was completely false information and leads other consumers to believe that the contents of the bag and other items were compensated for by Thred Up to a family that is actually 100% fictitious.

My greatest concern and complaint is that this is an example of really poor business practices - and could be seen as stealing from a customer.

The fact of the matter is that Thred Up is responsible for opening a bag and selling the contents of the bag without knowing where the items came from. Thred Up also created a fictitious "family" to list items on the website.

I was absolutely appalled to discover that the bag I sent in had been opened and the contents were being sold without Thred Up knowing anything about where the bag came from or whom the contents belonged too.

I WILL NEVER CONSIGN WITH THRED UP AGAIN. Don't be fooled by this completely questionable company!

dianat13
6/8/15

I can always find a deal.

jennifery13
6/6/15

I have been using ThredUp for the last year and even has recommended my friends and co-workers to them, but as of June 1 they changed their payout structure has changed . Coincidentally the week before I had sent in 3 bags.

After them receiving my bags I received a payout of only $1 per item they chose. What a waste of my donations. Never again.

Crossroads is better. they pay a less 35 % as they always have and now they offer bags to mail in also. I will start using them again starting with my next donations.

roxannea4
6/3/15

My daughter told me about threshold and I have been pleasantly surprised with each purchase whether it be shoes, accessories, or clothes. If I had any suggestion to make, it would be that the color is mentioned, I.e. black and navy are sometimes indistinguishable online.

catherineh18
6/2/15

I love Threds Up! I have purchased shirts dresses shoes and purses! I have never been disappointed!

annmariem4
6/2/15

This review after two clean out bags...
I sent items to thredup after carefully sorting through them based on brand, quality, etc. they had already stated how careful they are to only accept things in good condition, so I made sure that there were no stains, no pilling, no stretching, etc. I feel it took a long time to process the bags... It took upwards of two weeks for my last bag to be processed. They accept very little. My first bag was full, and they only took 8 items. My second bag had a few more items with the tags still on, and they accepted those...maybe 10 items?
In total, I will receive a payout credit of about $31. However, due to the high volume not accepted, I requested my items be returned to me so that I can sell and donate them locally instead of having thredup recycle them. This costs $14 per bag. My total "profit" from thredup was not even $5. It should also be noted that the payout structure is changing 6/1/2015 and for small, less expensive items (like kids items) you'll only receive 10% of what they sell it at now (per their website).
Note that the site holds your payout for about a week. If you want to spend the money on clothing from Thredup, you can immediately use the payout. If you want a check or for the funds to deposit into PayPal, you'll have to wait quite a while.
For all the effort of sorting the clothes, sending it all in, then receiving it back when they don't accept much, it really isn't worth the effort. If someone has a bunch of unused designer bags laying around maybe they'd have better luck but it isn't for moms I know.

juneb39
5/30/15

Very poor customer-client communication via website and emails. Sellers must follow up on their own in order to find out which items were rejected and why. The payout is low and is not issued in the form of a check. Instead, you must wait 14 days and then cash out via Paypal, which charges a 2% fee. I'm wondering if you lose your earnings if you forget to cash out of Paypal after the 14th day. (14th day of what, exactly?) Also, ThredUP does not provide sellers with a receipt for the clothing that was rejected.

laurag51
5/29/15

I have used Thred Up for a few years and recently sent them my last bag -- EVER. More than half my bag was rejected and I would think I lost $60-75 at a min. I am very disappointed to say the least.

melissac51
5/28/15

Good selection of clothing. Customer service and shipping is slow - couple be faster considering how large the company has gotten. Not many coupon codes and can be pricey for used items especially the kids items. Best deals I've found are the new with tags but even then seeing that it's been sitting in someone's closet untouched, it's a bit pricey. Paying a premium for sure for the convenient access through online shopping. Decent photos but sometimes the sizes on the item itself doesn't match up to the actual fit. Must know the brand you're buying what size you fit into for said brand. I've bought a med sweater and I normally am a 8/10 and it ended up going to my sister who's 0/2 or xs. Not worth the restock fee to send it back to return.

gayleg
5/28/15

We have a number of items and were considering sending them after we saw the ad. Thanks for the reviews! You saved us a great deal of headache. I would rather donate them!

kimberlyj8
5/26/15

Took my designer clothes and would not consign them - instead kept them as a buy out and sent me pennies! Refused to send my clothes back when I contacted them. I consider this stealing!!!

carolineg9
5/26/15

Do not under any circumstances send in anything notably high end. As the probabilities of getting your items listed is about 20 percent ... what I have found to date and I have many bags on the site...you cannot send in anything that was expensive.. The chances of getting them to list is not in your favor. So you will end up never seeing the item again, unless you purchase the send back feature.. Which believe me digs into the little profit you will make on a mere 3 or 4 items generally that will get listed to sell.. And at the profit you will get... believe it or not, often 2 or 3 dollars on most items(yes they do try to keep most listings in the range under 19.99 to make sure that is the case), you lose what you made to return shipping. So my advice is to be very very careful.. You will probably fare better with other sites ... At least there are generally consistent 60 percent.shared. 60 percent this better than 2 to 3 dollar return on this site. Do not under any circumstances send particularly good things. You will lose in this venture.

kated21
5/20/15

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM!!!!!!

cindyd23
5/20/15

I love most of the clothes I get, the only thing that upsets me is the 70.00 free shipping, it use to be 50.00 and that was doable but the new 70.00 kinda discourages me..as I am on a strick budget......so am not going to be able to buy as much..also the slow process of going through my bags is discouraging, but over all the clothes are great I have been happy with most of them....I will recomend this and do. Please do not raise the prices to much or I will not be able to buy....thanks for a great place to shop....

gaile5
5/18/15

I tried ThreadUP to see how good it was. I ordered different things and I was elated when I received my polka dot box. Unless you knew better you would think everything was new from original purchase. I have bought adult/children clothes and I love them. I sent some of my things and I was well pleased with what they paid me. Give it a try! You will love it!

christinam38
5/18/15

I sent in many items - all in good condition and brands that they accepted. Only three were chosen I was not smart enough to pay for a return of items that weren't accepted. They only accepted three items. I could have done better at my local consignment shops. I will never use them again.

michellek43
5/17/15

Love being able to send in my old/out grown clothes for credit. Always have a great selection and I can always count on good quality!

amyb57
5/14/15

I have only made one purchase I was not happy with. However they have misplaced items after I purchased them and mysteriously the item was back up a few days later. Not sure if it was just another top from the same company that was the same size or if they are that disorganized - in either event, it was very disappointing to have purchased the item, only to get an email that said they couldn't find it. Like many others my first pay out was great, the second and third was not worth my time. All in all I would only use this site only if I needed something nice for an event at a lower price and had plenty of time to find it. You might have better luck just digging through the clearance racks at your local favorite stores.

chandrah1
5/10/15

Thanks to all of you who enlightened me on Thred Up! That save me some time, frustration and $$. I had packed my bags with great items, but I know now that I would have certainly received a shi!!y payout. Whew! Dodged a bullet on this place. Now I will use the bag to pack up the stuff to sell somewhere else.

milliek1
5/9/15

I thought I would try this site, but I didn't realize the return policy. I bought 2 items and it cost 22 bucks. The shirt gapped in the bust and the dress was skimpier than it looked online. To return it I pay the shipping and they will refund me 15.00. I won't order from again. I can probably buy these items in the store for those prices. Plus, I won't get screwed on returns.
I suggest if you want second hand go to goodwill.com I am not sure their return policy, but the prices are decent and the money raised goes to help those in need.

chrissyf2
5/8/15

I can't pass up a good deal and ThredUp delivers on their promise to sell quality items at fair prices I have purchased from them on multiple occasions and each time I've been more than satisfied with the items I received AND the prices I paid. You can't go wrong when you buy from them!

allisonf12
5/8/15

I agree with the other reviewers. I sent them a bag full of great clothes. No wear. Mostly like new. All the brands they wanted (White House Black Market, Ann Taylor, etc). They took seven of my items (including a very expensive $#*!tail dress from WHBM that I wore once) and offered me a measly $18. Less than three bucks per item?!? I could have made more at a garage sale. Ridiculous. I will never send them another piece of clothes and won't be giving them my business.

staceyd18
5/6/15

STAY AWAY from them they are modern day THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said!!!!

daniellew18
5/5/15

The clothes I have bought from thredup are great! But don't waste your time sending clothes to them, unless you pretty much want to donate everything. I got two clean out bags one I purchased the return service on the other one I didn't. I don't remember why I didn't purchase it on the second one but I just didn't. I put clothes in one that I thought was return service and I wanted those clothes back that they didn't keep and put the clothes I didn't want back in the other one. So needless to say I made a total of $15. - the $13 charged they send your bag back for. So really three dollars and they kept 30 pairs of jeans that they donated to someone. I don't know if they'll resolve this or if I'm just SOL. So I would be very careful with what you send to them especially if it's valuable.

jannar1
5/4/15

I have sent 3 bags into Thred Up over the last couple of years. For the first bag, they itemized each item and told me how much I got for each item. While it wasn't very much, I appreciated knowing what I got per item, and then could compare that to the amount they sold the item for. For the second bag I sent, they stopped doing that, which irked me so I wrote an email asking for itemization amounts. They eventually complied, but I became wary that it would be easier for them to get away with giving next to nothing for your items and unless you kept track of what you sent in, items they don't accept just "disappear" or are "donated" unless you send in the card to keep track of your items and you pay to have the things returned. Reading other reviews, I wonder if they even are all donated, or end up being sold in other ways.
With my third bag, they accepted a third of what I sent, and never said "these were the things we couldn't take" -- curiously one of the things they didn't accept was a Gymboree brand knit outfit with the tag still attached, in perfect condition. Everything I send is in very good condition and brand name. They have never seemed consistent in their payouts, or what they accept. Some of the things I see for sale are Cheap and worn looking Target brand or Old Navy, for example, and they ask near to the price you would pay for the item new. Yet then they won't accept better brand named things in almost new condition?
Also, they put a BCBG dress of mine on consignment for around 50$, it didn't sell, and so they kept it (I didn't want to pay the 14$ fee to get the item back). Couldn't they have just put it into the normal "pool" of clothes and sell it like that and just credit me? I ended up just "losing" that item.
I clicked on the link in my "processed items" email of each thing they accepted this 3rd time around to see what they were selling it for. Of what they accepted, it added up to be 106.41$. I got 21.18$ for it all, which is almost 20%. I also think that when they tag things with the "Tiny Flaw" astrix, the majority of the time it's so they can have an excuse to rip off the seller by giving them next to nothing for their stuff. But then they still sell the item at a high price, getting a very large profit margin on it. If they only want high end brands with tags attached, they shouldn't advertise as a consignment/second hand company.
While I have bought a few items from them when it's a good deal, I still feel pretty guilty about it, knowing how they give sellers hardly what they deserve. I do know that I'm done selling on Thred Up, I just don't trust it and I feel like they truly take advantage of people.
From now on, I will bring my clothes to our local consignment shop, where I get 40% of the sale (once sold) and I know it's helping a local business. While its harder than throwing clothes into a bag and giving it to the mailman, I at least know I'm not getting ripped off.
I hope most people will catch on to the scam they seem to be running and they will at least start crediting people honestly.

sandrineg
5/4/15

Be warned, it's all true. ThredUp gives new sellers great payouts on their first bag(s). It did seem alot of items were "missing" from my first bags sent into them... but the $167 payout distracted me from that and I quickly dismissed the nagging thought.

Recently sent in a huge bag full of high-end and designer items, including a large selection of "plus" sizes, only to receive a paltry payout.

Guess what? Despite me requesting return assurance on the card which goes inside the polka-dot bag, they did not return my clothes and claim it is "impossible" to locate them.

Bottom line? Items in bags that are not selected for "return assurance" via your thredup online account are basically STOLEN by the company. They keep the good stuff and sell it on their site or sister websites without paying you for your items. In english, we call this Stealing. THIEVES!

If it helps, I've heard of peoples items that were not accepted or returned mysteriously appearing under another sellers bag on the site.

I do not reccomend them and am so upset they took advantage of my mom who was trying to clean out her closet from all her beautiful work suits. BEWARE

Tip for consumers: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. IF you insist, please please please ensure you not only indicate return assurance on the card that goes in the bag-- but also thru your online account (it's complicated to find and not easy for non-internet savvy people like my mom) Otherwise, they keep your items, refuse to mail them back, and sell them without paying you!!!

Keep writtten inventory and photographs of every item sent into them (unless you would have just donated them to salvation army otherwise). At t

cynthiab23
5/2/15

I sell sell at ThredUp. I have had great bags and bags with many rejections. Last week I bought a clear light bulb. Now I understand some of the rejections. I saw spots and tears I could not see under normal lighting. If you are a seller, do yourself a favor and get a good light bulb. You will then have a better understanding of why some items are refused. I received a Vince sweater this week I purchased. I love it and love the price. They photograph and list everything.. They take care of all the hard work. You cannot expect to make what you think it's worth. If you think it is worth a lot to you, don't sell it. They send a pre-paid bag and take care of the rest. They have grown and changed and tweaked. I am trying to do the same. I want everything I purchase from them to be in great shape. So I need make sure what I sell is in the shape I want to buy it at. I also want it to be something people want. I have become more selective in the items I send in. Yes some bags are losers. If you still think you should get more, keep it and wear it. Consignment shops pay less.

katies28
4/30/15

Some people may not like secondhand clothes, but thredUP has secondhand apparel that is in great condition at much better prices than you could find at other stores. I've purchased several Nike items from this site; I even got a pair of Nike cold weather running tights for $8 that the MSRP is $60! I've had the tights for a while now and I've used them a lot of times, and they are still in great shape! The shipping is pretty fast and also pretty cheap on thredUP. I've been quite satisfied with shipping policies on thredUP. I'm very happy with the purchases that I've made on this website and I recommend it for anyone who wants a good deal on name-brand clothes. I haven't sold any clothes to them, but I've heard that it takes a while to process and that they are a bit picky about what they take in. I may try to sell to them in the future if I end up with some clothes I'd like to get rid of, but I am more likely to take it to Plato's Closet, a store that we have here that gives cash when you turn in clothes. Anyway, from my experience, thredUP is a great store and I recommend it!

michellem89
4/30/15

This is my favorite site for clothes. Prices are excellent and the selection is constantly changing.

ivil1
4/30/15

Sent in three bags with over 200 items 60% new without tags 10% new with tags all accepted brands. I received $4.96 pay out and the rest was not accepted due to wear from use. LMAO on brand new items. I looked through the online store and found several unacceptable items listed for sale. NEVER again.

9 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
Answer
suzannes13
A: This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: Did u receive the bag of clothes I sent?
4/14/15
Answer
shandad3
A: Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling
4/17/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP