US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 246 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 52 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 243 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

lauriew11
2/25/15

I have made numerous purchases from ThredUP and every experience was a positive one. They always process my orders quickly and I have been very pleased with the clothing items I have received. I have bought mainly children's clothing for my grandkids and they have loved all their new items. I have had few problems from ThredUP, but the few times I have received the wrong item or an item with a flaw they have handled it in a timely manner and I am always satisfied with the outcome. I will continue to purchase from this website. One happy customer!

deborahh30
2/24/15

I sent 1 full bag of clothing and 1 full bag of purses all in brand new condition and very clean.
The total I got back was about $13'00. I feel so ripped off. This store says they have a very high quality standard but what I found is that if what you send is not designer they don't want it. Don't waste your time, You would be better off selling each item on ebay. At least you would get what your clothes are worth. Oh also you can't call these people to ask any questions. Their message machine says they will get back to you and they never do.

Tip for consumers: Don't

heathera16
2/24/15

First time ordering from Thred up, nice design layout of website, I received 40% off my first order. The clothing while second hand, have not been ironed in any way, and are a crumpled mess. Also, from the point of ordering on Feb 9th, just today Feb 24th have I received an email informing me my order has shipped and shall be arriving on March 9th. I have ordered from Poshmark several times, and will be sticking with them instead of Thred up.

mallaryl
2/22/15

I have sold to TU many, many times. I appreciate a way to get rid of unwanted clothing, However, they have 'lost' things in the past (including brand new Keen shoes and three coats with the tags still on them.) I hate that they decide that something I send is "designer" and therefore is not included in the normal pay-out which forces me to keep checking the site to see if I have to re-call my item. I have "lost' some very expensive items that "expired" (and then just magically disappeared) I have repeatedly asked them NOT to designate my J Crew dresses as "designer" and just pay me at the lower rate so I don't have to keep checking back on the site and them "fighting" with them to get my dresses back. Lastly, I would NEVER buy anything on this site because Ebay has the same stuff, for much less money, with many more pictures and listings that often include, fabric content and complete measurements.

Tip for consumers: Avoid unless you are willing to accept any amount of money for your things. Do not expect speed or ever seeing your things again.

emmajanep
2/20/15

This website is extremely confusing and disorganized, and it will not give you $10 off your first order, even though it says it will. I do NOT recommend shopping here as I had a terrible experience.

juneb37
2/18/15

I enjoy not having to carry them around to take them to a store. Just put outside the door for pickup and no postage. I'm trying to earn extra money to be able to pay to add to my retirement. When I reclaimed my consignments, they were delivered so fast. I always send designer clothes and can't figure out how come I get so little and not more consigned. My items have price tags and some have never have been worn when you go up and down with your weight.

karenb104
2/17/15

OK, my experience is limited but we'll see if they can redeem themselves. Got a polka dot bag, sent it off on 2/5/15 with their Fed Ex label... went from upstate NY where I am to PA, Ohio, WV & then delivered in PA (yup, went there a second time) on 2/13! Evident through tracking. Which I got when I emailed them to ask if they got my bag yet after 1 week with no sign of it being received. Twice in PA??? I could have driven it there quicker. Then, I got an email saying they are really busy and should have my clothing dealt with by MARCH 14th! So basically 6 weeks after I sent it in. If you are looking for a quick turn around with submissions, forget it.

Tip for consumers: Try Ebay first

ellenr9
2/15/15

I absolutely love Thredup!!!!!! I have purchased 7 or 8 times and each time I have been thrilled with the quality of my purchases. It is so much fun to see that polka dot box and know that the items inside will be beautifully folded and wrapped in tissue. I love that attention to detail that makes me feel special and appreciated. The website and checkout are so easy to navigate and that makes the whole shopping experience a joy. I have purchased clothes for the kids, shoes for myself and handbags. I tell everyone I know about Thredup because it's just that amazing. Thank you Thredup!!!!!!

jenniferw73
2/15/15

I truly enjoy shopping thredUP but the lag time between paying and receiving is more than 10 days, which feels like forever.

katee7
2/14/15

Sure the clothes are great and cheap but I've been waiting for my order to be delivered for almost FOUR WEEKS!!!!!! It took them a week to even mark my items as shipped then they estimated my delivery as 2/14. it hasn't arrived yet so I checked again and now they are saying 2/17??? Honestly for the hassle of waiting and waiting for my items I would rather shop elsewhere. I don't know how they conduct business this way. I wont be bothering again.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother unless you don't mind waiting a month for your order

tonyah6
2/11/15

I love being able to send clothes that we have outgrown or changing styles and get credit! I also love the clothes that I have purchased. Great quality!!

katyh7
2/9/15

My review is based on BUYING ONLY - I will never sell to them because I know the return for what you send in is not fair... you can do better with local consignment or group sales. That said, if you're looking for good boutique brands at a good price, check them out. I feel like they price their mid-market clothing a little too high - for example 4.99 for Old Navy pieces, sometimes they'd be 4.99 new! Their service is great, their app and website are easy to navigate, and their shipping is fair. I'm a longtime customer (since before the format change) and I'll continue to buy from them as long as the price is right.

christyh14
2/8/15

I was not happy with the way I received several emails regarding the bag of clothes I sent in to sell. The emails said how they were still working on checking my bag and that they were so busy. I got an email telling me that they could not accept any of my clothing for resale. I asked if I could have the clothes sent back to me and was told that I had to sign up for that before I sent the clothes. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau...

Christy

susans115
2/8/15

Their customer service is top notch. Love how the items come so well and cutely packaged. Sharing with friends and definitely a repeat customer. Thanks, ThredUp!

Tip for consumers: Zoom in so you can see the type of fabric well. Create your own shops so you have searches saved to the sizes, styles and colors you like.

tammyb26
2/5/15

Shopping on thread up is pretty good but selling to them is terrable! I sent in a bag about 3/4 full over a month ago and have gotten emails saying they are to busy with "overwelming" amounts of bags being sent in, I just received an offer to accept a pay out of only 20 dollars, and that's with out them even looking in my bag apparently. I will likely never try to sell to then again, you are better off selling to a brick N morter where you don't have to wait so long for payment. I understand that business grows and that can be unexpected but to offer only 20 dollars for a supposed unchecked bag seams shady to me.

jessicad33
2/2/15

Don't trust them to sell what you send in. I sent in purses, including two vintage Gucci crossbody bags and they only accepted two to sell. The reason for not accepting the other ones were, they already had too many in stock and the vintage bags were "used"! I will never sell with them again and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

justineh4
2/2/15

I love this website! So nice to find different clothing options, since I live in a small town, going to the nearest mall can be hard. I highly recommend it to all my friends!

amil32
2/2/15

I tell everyone I know about this site. I'm a single mom, I don't have the time/money to go to the thrift stores/consignment stores in my area. I've sold stuff with them, but honestly, now I just buy stuff and pass my hand me downs to other kids in my neighborhood. I have had zero problems selling/buying stuff. Now, I'm not a designer girl...so I just buy like, normal clothes, not the higher end stuff and other than one instance when I purchased the wrong size pants (my fault for not knowing my inseam, ha), every purchase has been great, both for my daughter and for me.
Also, I have purchased *small flaw* items? And really haven't been able to find the flaws. So, that's good..
I love the free shipping after $50, but even if I just purchase one or two items the shipping is super reasonable. I think amazon prime has spoiled me on shipping, but when I can get the same items from thred up for less INCLUDING the shipping...that's pretty darn sweet.

Tip for consumers: Sending your stuff in could be disappointing. I've only sent in kids clothes and my first bag I got a great return on, but the second, dang, it was not amazing. So, remember, it is a consignment shop, read the rules about the stuff you send. If you are in doubt, do something else with your clothes.

romainm30
2/1/15

I will never EVER use thredup to sell my clothes ever again. I have sent them about 6 bags full to the brim with new and like new designer women and children items. The first bag i sent i got a decent payout for so i thought that i would continue doing business with them. Long story short each bag i sent the payout became less and less to the point of where i started taking pictures of the items because i felt as though they may have been keeping some of my items for themselves I WARN YOU DO NOT! Send your items to thred up they said that they accept every item i sent but they would only post half of what i sent 10 or more items were always missing from my bag

cindys46
1/30/15

They rip me off a perfect new Dooney and Bourke because of "style" and refused to return my expensive bag even though I would pay for return.

Tip for consumers: they have high standards but apparently will refuse a perfect item for "style". If you send in a bag, ALWAYS ask return of items they reject!

christiem3
1/27/15

I love ThredUp. I have used them both to sell and to buy and have had great experiences with both. When you sell you do have to follow the instructions (only selling items in good or better condition in the brands they accept). Because they have high standards, you can buy with confidence that the items you receive will be top quality. If your items are stained, damaged, faded, etc. they aren't going to accept them - which I think is great! In insures quality items on the site for sale. You can cash out easily using paypal. It's super easy.

as2060
1/26/15

I stumbled on ThredUp last year and am so glad I did! I am a consignment shopper fan for both myself and kids, but as a busy working Mom rarely have the time to hit up the consignment stores on a regular basis and the selection at a traditional consignment store is limited based on when and where you go. ThredUp has a huge selection, great prices, great quality and I can shop at my convenience -- usually while multi-tasking :) Their return policy is fair, so I never have to worry if I don't like something. I have told all my friends about my great find!

Tip for consumers: Check back often or set up personal shop lists -- a feature on their site.

stephaniep25
1/26/15

I have never sent in clothes but I love to shop on there site I have ordered quite a few items they always get here with in the time limit ussually early. The items are either brand new or in great shape no complaints here. 75 dollar coat for 12 dollars 80 dollar boots that are the envy of all my friends for 10 dollars I can't complain at all. I know some people are upset that they don't tak all there clothes and I know that's were alot of the negative feedback is coming from but as a consumer this site is wonderfull.

Tip for consumers: remember there is ussualy only one of the item you want and there is no favorite button to save it and come back to it. So if you absolutley want it get it now.

bb85
1/25/15

I love ThredUP! Their selections to choose from is extensive, the prices are great and the clothes are in great condition. The only thing that I have been slightly disappointed with in the past is that the shipping takes quite a while. But, since they recently opened a warehouse on the East Coast (where I live), I'm hoping that will be remedied. Keep up the good work, ThredUp team!

Tip for consumers: As always when buying clothes online, be sure you know your correct size in that specific brand before purchasing.

robyng2
1/25/15

ThredUP is awesome. It is great that they sell mew and gently used. As a stay at home mom and also a full time in home daycare provider. I don't have to much time to my self. Or to even leave my house. As a mom of 3 kids. I am always looking for a good deal or bargain. ThredUP helps with the bargin shopping. I really do wish they would explain better ot take a photo when they lable the item(tiny flaw)

daleh32
1/23/15

i just purchaseda pair of grey suede guess boots and a pair of juicy pants. they arrived promptly and in excellent condition. you should consider shopping here. a great value at a great price. i will shop here again for sure.

sylviac13
1/19/15

I've been a customer of Thred Up for several years now and for the most part love it. It's convenient for this SAHM to shop online rather than take my little ones to the mall with me sometimes. I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of bags, kids clothes (boys and girls), women's shoes, designer bags, and women's clothing. I've also returned, had my complaints (sometimes I'd get kicked out of the site while shopping because item pics not downloading fast enough, missing items). I've also sold and learned to collect my sales through the PayPal process. Quality of most of the items are new or like new. Sometimes it's a fail and I get stuff that's not true to size. You need to know your clothing and shoe sizes in each brand named item when you shop to get an accurate sized item. A size 6 in one brand may not be the same size in another. But my husband is pretty amazed at my finds.

Tip for consumers: Know your size in each brand helps to avoid returns which can be a little hassle(having to repackage and send back).

jot22
1/18/15

I enjoy browsing through this site. There items offered are wide range. The items always arrive in the condition stated and the prices are fair. Free shipping is always a plus. Sometimes I will specify a category of clothing and instead of just showing that category other unasked for items will be included. How a blouse can be thrown it when you click on shoes is unknown. That is not something that happens too often and it won't deter me from this site but it has happened.

heatherg18
1/18/15

I love thredUP!! You can always find great items at amazing prices and there is a constant flux in what they have making it that much more exciting to find great pieces. It's like the best bargain hunting ever! I tell everyone I know about it!

Tip for consumers: If you see something you just love and really want, buy it right away before someone else scoops it up!

winniet
1/18/15

God awful. I received $11 for over 20 items including many items that just went "missing" when i asked for a comprehensive list. There is not visability as to where your products end up and they simply threw away a vintage chanel purse I sold them. TERRIBLE. I would give them a 0 if i could. DO NOT consign here.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT sell your clothes here. This is by far the worst place ever.

jodiem22
1/17/15

I've bought and "sold" through this site and have been pleasantly pleased. Of course, I'd like more credit for the clothes I send in, but I'm not going to complain. The process is so easy! Once you understand what type of clothes they accept and are looking for, it's pretty easy to put a bag together.

jessicaa40
1/13/15

I've bought from them several times. The pictures are terrible, they listed one item as a shirt, when it was clearly a dress. Items that I received were not in great condition either. Most were faded, some were stained and the pictures were missing details that were important to the purchase (such as length/details of the fabric, the staining or fading). Overall, I've had MUCH better luck at Goodwill and several local consignment and thrift shops. Every time I took a chance buying from them, I was very disappointed. I made a purchase when they first launched, after I received my shipment a rep sent me an email asking me about my experience and if I had any suggestions. I wrote them an email explaining the issues I had, which was ignored. Don't bother with them, don't make my mistake...

Tip for consumers: Don't bother, not worth it

jessicah54
1/12/15

ThredUp has become the first place I shop for clothes. From casual wear to bridesmaids dresses and now for my maternity clothes. I feel like I can finally dress the way I have always wanted to but could never previously afford. Love it!

mlpp
1/12/15

Horrible. If I could give it no stars I would. Sent in a full sack of clean girls clothes. Stated there was stain. There were none. Received $5 for around 18 items. Use your local consignment store or donate so you will get the tax write off.

Tip for consumers: Do not use Thred up.

susyf1
1/11/15

My experience with ThredUP has been great. I sold several items and also purchase items from the site!

suzannes19
1/11/15

I love this site !!!! What is not to like??? Either way, I see it as a win, win situation....
Haven't paid full price for any clothes for years...... long before this site, but, really love the
concept... glad it is available.... Thanks

Tip for consumers: Have fun with it.....

jillt8
1/10/15

I have purchased several items from thred up for my children and for myself. I've been very happy with the quality of the items and the price. My most recent purchases for myself include a maternity dress for a wedding and a maternity dress for a formal event, by purchasing used, I've saved approx $250 for dresses that I'll likely wear only once.To The people upset abt not getting much money for their items they've consigned, I think that's just the nature of consignment. I do think, as someone else mentioned, that some of the photos could be improved if they ironed the clothes, but w mass qty, that's likely unrealistic.

ashleyd29
1/9/15

Thredup is garbage. Payouts for items are about 50 cents. I sent in a pair of 7 for all mankind jeans (retail $245) worn a handful of times and they did not accept them because of a "stain." I had them send me 2 pictures and there is absolutely no stain! So shady. I fully expect these jeans to show up on their site for sale. Do not waste your time!

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site!

katharinak1
1/8/15

I love this site! I have found so many great bargains. I would suggest to sign up for their one time fee (it's a lot in the beginning) to do free returns. It's totally worth it to try stuff on and send back what you don't like.

amandaj26
1/8/15

I love Threadup.I have had wonderful experience ordering clothes online from them.It is easy and I love the pictures and descriptions of the clothing on their website.I have ordered clothes from here for my daughter and myself.The best part is,I can get nice looking,good looking clothes in my price range.

pattyv5
1/8/15

I can't say enough good things about ThredUp and recommend it highly to anyone who loves clothes as much as I do. I'm not sure how I originally came to find out about the site, but it has become my go to place, especially when it comes to finding extra special dresses or other items for myself and my grand daughters. Everything I've purchased has been new, nearly new and of the highest quality. The prices are all at least 60% off and I've gotten some spectacular things that were 80% off of original retail. Shopping is a breeze and shipping is fast. ThredUp is so great, I almost didn't write this review as I want to keep it for myself!

lynnl21
1/7/15

I was so excited about using this site but am positively outraged with my service! The first time I sent in a bag stuffed to the brim with clothes, but I wasn't sure they would take most of them so I got the insurance. They accepted about 6 items and I got the rest back. I wanted to get something I really liked so it took me awhile to find what I wanted. When I did, I couldn't find out how to redeem my money, so I sent them an email asking what happened. They told me that they had put it towards the insurance so I didn't get to buy anything! In that email I asked about the second bag I sent in as well. I sent nicer, more expensive clothes and its been about 2 months and I haven't heard back yet. They said it probably got lost or something! So, in all they didn't let me redeem my money, they lost a bag of some really nice expensive clothes, and were quite unhelpful! I have not tried shopping there though, so who knows... DO NOT SELL YOUR CLOTHES TO THEM!!! TRUST ME!!!

marlak1
1/4/15

Took then 6 weeks to look at my bag. Kept getting emails that a quote would be at a certain date. The date would pass Then I heard nothing. Then I was given a quote of 5$. Do not send them any of your clothes.

kristeny
1/2/15

I have never consigned items through thred up but I have made several purchases from them. I was able to get a semi formal dress to wear for my husbands Christmas party for $20! I was considering renting a dress but this was considerably cheaper. I have not had any issues with what I have ordered so far and love getting nice items for great deals!

elizabethh50
1/1/15

I've used thredUP over the past year and found their service to be excellent and their prices amazing. The quality of what they offer is consistently good and they make returns very easy. Especially for clothes for my daughter, who's growing fast, they are a great find!

irinaw
1/1/15

I want to share about my excitement at the first few times. I made a few purchases from them. It was impressive at the beginning, then something happen with their pricing policy. It was much cheaper for me to find deals online for the same price new items than buy from them.
Later, I decided to sell them mine clothes and from my kids. I wouldn't recommend to sell them either, because they give you just so little and they do not accept sometimes brand NEW items with price tags, such as Express or Ann Taylor, which is very disappointing.
So would not recommend to sell or buy from them now.

ds98
12/29/14

Customer service is inept. Takes a long time for a response. Executive sent an email "follow up" which included a link to an invalid email address and his own address rejected replies. Payout is not transparent; you must request reasons for rejection rather than an outright listing. No photographic evidence provided. Prices of items change WHILE IN YOUR CART. Payout on bag took 2 months from mailing date. Returns require purchaser to pay return shipping. Item listings do not include basic information such as color or dimensions.

Tip for consumers: Try competitor sites instead.

jamesw148
12/29/14

Love ThredUp for great deals on designer kids clothing. Always find great deals and customer service is excellent!!

ntm
12/26/14

"Terrible, terrible, terrible. At first I thought, well maybe some items had been used a bit more than I realized. By the 3rd bag, I got better at guessing what items they'd accept. The 4th and FINAL bag I sent in got an apology email that NOTHING was accepted. One of the items I send were black suede boots that were literally worn ONCE b/c 1) we were in the midst of a heat wave in So Cal & 2) my daughter forgot she shoved them under her bead. Really boots that were worn once and didn't bet accepted. Another item was a very gently used burgundy patent leather purse from Nordstoms - "not accepted"?! Here's what I think is happening - the "specialists" are keeping the items. Never again!"

Tip for consumers: I guess they are okay for purchasing, but DEFINITELY not for selling.

kristenp10
12/26/14

I have been using thread up for about a year. I have sold several handbags on thread up. I love the promotion that they have been having where you can earn 100% back on handbags. I have had a few pricing/pay out problems but they were handled quickly and efficiently by the customer service team. The thing that i am not happy about is the clothing. You do not get paid much at all for clothes that are either brand new or in excellent condition. I understand that i might be sending in gap, gymboree or loft and not dkny or kate spade or mk clothing, but i expect a little more than fifty cents per item. I recently received an email with the new pricing guidelines and found out that they will probably not be accepting those brands that i send in. Therefore, i dont think that i will be sending my clothes in to thred up anymore. I will take them to a local consignment store or save for yard sale. I'm very disappointed that they seem to be weeding out the average person and catering to the upper class.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect to receive a big payout unless you are sending in very high end brands.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
jessicah27
A: I want to buy something from here,but i am very iffy about it. I have a 10$ off code and the shipping is only 2.99$ Good deal,but it seems too good to be true? Is this site 100% legit? Who has actually bought from here?
5/26/13
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

5 Photos for thredUP