US Government's NSF

Categories: Toys, Used Clothing
580 Market Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

People interested in thredUP are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 350 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 76 reviews)

christinav9

I love love threfup for buying great quality used clothes, but would never send clothes for resale ever again. (in 343 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

cjs10
9/3/15

They have to be selling the items they don't accept and they refuse to tell me where my items have been donated. They gave me $9.50 for 12 items that they are selling on their site for over $170! The clothes for sale on the site are also way overpriced. Horrible scam.

blairb27
9/2/15

Their clothing is on consignment because it was put in the dryer and shrunk. They do not pay out for high quality clothes even if the guidelines are followed closely. They were good years ago. Now they are not Their Cusotmer Service cannot resolve issues.

wr241
9/2/15

I followed their brand guidelines very closely and sent in clothing including several pairs of pants which had NEVER been worn. The only item they accepted was a dress which had actually been worn several times. I was extremely insulted at the implication that the clothes were dirty or stained, especially considering that many of them had NEVER BEEN WORN. I would not be surprised if my items ended up on eBay as others here have suggested. I requested my items back and offered to pay, but was told that they had immediately been donated. Really? Within several hours? There are two possibilities, either Thredup is thieves or morons. Or possibly both.

emilys71
9/2/15

I sent in a bag of designer jeans and a few other items. They only accepted 4 items of the stuffed bag. They gave me $18.19 for these for items, that sold on their site for over $100. So, I received less than 20% of the selling price. Normally, when selling or consigning clothes, you receive a much higher percentage of the selling rate. I won't be selling there again.

laurat42
8/31/15

The only thing that keeps me around is the referral system. I have enjoyed the buying process, and the incentive to join is great. I recommend buying from ThredUp and have been pleased every time I've made a purchase. However, selling my clothing to them makes me want to cry. The process is easy, sure, but I just wish there was an explanation as to why certain items are rejected. They say they donate unwanted items...I'd love to know where because THAT'S where I want to shop!

katiem46
8/31/15

I agree that buying from Thred Up is great. I have gotten lots of great clothes for my toddler girl. However, selling with them is very disappointing. I sent in one bag that never got listed.. sent an e-mail to customer service with pictures two of the dresses that I was especially hoping to get money for because they were holiday toddler girl dresses in great condition that I cold have sold on e-bay for a great price. They never found my bag. Sent in another bag despite the first incident and received very little money- sent in yet another bag and the same thing... 30 pieces of clothes in great condition and they only accepted 5 items. So- even thought they warn you that their standards are high- I think it is ridiculous that they don't accept some of the brands that they don't accept... like Jumping bean- they also don't accept Children's Place, I can see not accepting carter's- you can get that brand anywhere- even Walmart and they only want to accept well-made brands- however, it is frustrating that they accept Old Navy and not Jumping bean- from Kohl's. Aside from selling with them, I still recommend buying from them because you can get nice clothes for cheap. I don't think they should ever charge for the clean out bag. It costs $4.00 for them to send you a bag, which means that you have to be absolutely positive that they will give you more than $4.00 for your items or else you don't make anything. I also don't like that they uped the amount from $50- $70 in order to get free shipping. So, while the concept of an online thrift store is awesome, it seems like since the company has grown and gotten bigger, they are getting kind of snobby as a company-- I think that if the clothes are in great condition, they should accept them. I will continue to buy from the site, but think before sending them another bag- especially if I have to pay for it. I have never paid for a bag yet- that is really the only way it makes it worth it to send one in.

vickib18
8/31/15

Sent a bag full of clothing to ThreadUp. Several designer evening dresses, a few nice sun dresses, Ann Taylor linen pants (never worn) and a couple of inexpensive items that I almost didn't send (Lands End dress and Target linen pants, both well worn). After several weeks of waiting, they sent me a message stating that the only items they were accepting were the two inexpensive items (Lands end cotton dress and Target linen pants and my payout was $6. They claimed the other items would not sell. What? After contacting customer service with my very disappointing $6 payout, they told me that my items were "unclean". Anyone who knows me would laugh at that. All items were washed or dry cleaned before sending and the linen trousers had never been worn as they were ordered online and did not fit. I believe this is a very shady business. Someone is making money on the items that they do not sell on their site. If you look through the items for sale, most all have listed "spot that will come out in the wash, or flaws". Do yourself a favor and donate to Salvation Army, Goodwill or support your local consignment shops. Shady!

carleneh1
8/31/15

I've shopped a number of different online consignment sites, and also tried selling with a few different ones. Thredup by far paid the lowest amount - $2.00 for a bag full of juniors clothing in excellent condition. I've shopped a few times and had a better experience with that, but the pricing is higher than others even with discount codes.

carols95
8/30/15

This Company has become too Greedy. They had a good thing going and ruined their credibility as far as I feel. If you are at all lucky, you might have a chance to make a whole $1 on a new with tags silk blouse IF they decide to take it. They use consignment language to try to hook you in, but In reality unless you have NEVER USED with TAGS HIGH END ITEMS TO SELL, (like $300 plus) you might get lucky and get a whole $10 for a big garbage full of beautiful designer stylish items. LOOK ELSEWHERE! BEWARE! REGRETS!!!!

lisaw95
8/30/15

I just wanted to say that I am not a big fan of thredup. Realize that you are rolling the dice whenever you purchase items from them. I have had items misrepresented (Got something that was "plus" but failed to mention it was also petite), items blatantly lied about (Got told a pair of shoes were in "like new" condition but when they arrived they were heavily scuffed), and just bad customer service in general (Remember the good old days of returns? now the policies change constantly).
I've also sold to thredup and they're not that bad, in my opinion, if you have things you want to get rid of and you're not very antsy about how much you get from them. I tend to buy a lot of cheaper clothing but some decent middle class designer bags, and my bag payouts have been pretty fair. I wouldn't sell anything to them that you're determined to get a certain price from and realize they can reject items and just "donate" them unless you pay a guaranteed fee to get back what you sent.
I kinda use them only as a "cleaning out my closet" type of website. The best thing you can do in my opinion is learn your favorite stores online clearance section and wait for a deal -- sometimes you'll see an additional 50% off if you get lucky and snag some cute stuff for a fraction of the price.

bethc34
8/30/15

I have sent in designer shoes and didn't receive any money for them. I don't know if they were overlooked or what. My current balance is $3.65 for my current clean - out bag. If you have anything of value get the insurance or sell it yourself on ebay. I have purchased items for my kids that they enjoyed.

annef25
8/29/15

ThreadUp has great, high quality pieces at a good price. I see a lot of bad reviews for selling to them, but there are very stringent requirements for what they accept. They do not accept every brand, things that are out of season, or no longer in style. They have a very detailed list of brands they do and do not accept clearly marked on their website under the "Sell" section. At least one of the people who complained they "stole" her hand bag sent in a Gucci bag,Gucci is not on their list of accepted items. Once you send it in, you've agreed to part with it- make sure you're sending in items that they say they will pay you for.

pollyb4
8/28/15

Several years ago, I received more when selling to ThredUp. That was before the company really took off. I am sure their inventory is massive because I do not get as much for the items I send to them; however, I have never been disappointed when buying from ThredUp! I love finding treasured pieces that are in excellent shape- at very fair prices. I've had great luck!

joannet10
8/28/15

Don't brother to ship anything. They steal bags...sent Gucci Handbag never used and they never listed. Send 10 bags and the steal 5. I am finished with Thred up

cf21
8/28/15

I sent a HUGe bag in, all name brand clothing. Near perfect condition, some items worn only once. I didn't receive ONE PENNY. Do NOT buy or sell from this company!!!! They will STEAL from you.
I was SO disappointed. I should have taken the time to list my items on eBay.
I repeat DO NOT sell to them and expect something back...

amym79
8/28/15

I am new to ThreadUp and very disappointed in their reviews. I have yet to buy or sell from them, and, after reading reviews of how their customers feel ripped off because of their poor compensation for their items, I am considering cancelling my account and taking my business elsewhere.

lindar79
8/28/15

I have decided not to shop at this site after reading the reviews from all the people who SELL TO Thred Up and say they were cheated by this giant company. Yes, the buyers get good prices, because thred up takes advantage of their suppliers and doesn't give them anything remotely resembling fair market value for their possessions.Then they can sell cheap to us and still make a huge profit for themselves. It's unethical--and I don't want to be a part of it. I'll go to E-Bay and buy directly from the sellers, and they (and their families) get the profit--not some huge business!

jolier
8/27/15

I have purchased great items thru Thred up for my toddler, so I figured I would give it a try to send a bag in to sell. I, like most people, assumed I would be given a somewhat fair value for the items that were in excellent condition. I was so disappointed to find out of 30 items (2 bags total sent in) they kept 7 items with a grand total of $9.16. This pays for shipping if you order more items from them and thats about it. I also read the reviews of people said, well what did you expect, but just receiving $1 & change for designer items in like new condition is insulting. Be aware...

kellyo10
8/26/15

I have been selling and ordering from Thredup for a couple years now. I have received great items. When there has been a discrepancy with condition of items, they take care of the situation promptly. When my coupon code didn't work, they gave me a new one, when I couldn't get the system to accept my address for expedited shipping, they expedited it at no charge to me. I am happy! I love the idea of recycling clothes!

heatherw30
8/26/15

I've been a Thredup shopper and consignor for three years. I would say don't expect much on your bags you sell to them. It's convenient and I've had some really good bags and some marginal bags. Adult clothes definitely have fetched more for me than most kids clothes. I have noticed an uptick in pricing on what they sell, especially for items from Old Navy which you can just about buy brand new at the store for what they are selling here, that's my only real complaint. Watch the pricing know what you would pay for something. Other than that we've been really happy, especially with shoes.

jennifers160
8/26/15

I have sent stuff to Thred up to sell over 1/2 a dozen times. I then use that credit to buy some fun extra items for my kids. It is the pleasure of spoiling your kids with nice cloths w/o the guilt!

rosem185
8/25/15

Better off giving them away. Don't expect a fair return for your clothes.

vanyag2
8/25/15

I've ordered twice from ThredUp and loved both packages. Not only do they package your clothes nicely but the clothes look exactly and are described exactly as the photo. I'm going to be a repeat customer. The only negative is the shipping. My first box arrived in about a week whereas the second one a bit longer. Overall, great company.

mariannw
8/24/15

I logged in last week for the first time, I have always been a fan of buying online out of convenience but always suffer the consequences when nothing fits the right way even when I go up a size. Well, today was the first time I felt sucessful! I did research on the items that I wanted. Their prices were very actuate to the product being bought brand new.
I picked out a few blouses, sweaters, dresses and blazers to find everything fit really well and the product was quality. I wish I could underline that word because it is key in that sentence, quality quality quality. I ended up spending $84 and saved over $300 for everything I got and it was totally worth it. Very excited to get more work clothes!

alyw1
8/23/15

thredUP is amazing. I've used it quite a few times to clean out my closet. With their easy to order & use pre paid clean out bag, the process is simple, and allows me to make room for new items. Shopping on thredUP has also proved to be a great experience. They have great prices/items and fairly quick shipping! I highly recommend using the thredUP app.

bethf12
8/23/15

Sent in a huge overstuffed bag with 52 items of girls Mini Boden, Gymboree and Gap all in perfect condition. After 6 weeks......they sent me an email that I had "earned" $24. NEVER again!!! Do yourself a favor and drop your expensive clothes at a consignment shop instead. My guess is that they won't be around much longer as people no longer send their clothes to them, they will have less and less to sell.

patriciam72
8/20/15

Love the idea of ThredUp. They make it super easy as a process to turn in clothes and then be able to buy more! Cute, designer clothes at good prices. Great customer service and always upbeat and positive. ❤️❤️❤️

kellym105
8/19/15

I sent a bag full of amazing clothes and they bought the one piece that was a cheapo from target of all places. I earned .60 crappy cents. I had a bunch of name brands in excellent condition. Should have paid for them to be returned to me. Take your items to a real consignment shop.

katyc6
8/19/15

I could NOT believe the condition in which my clothing was sent back by threadUP. I sent several items that had just been returned from the dry cleaner. These items were not used by threadUP and I requested any unused items be returned to me. I was absolutely appalled by the condition in which my clothing was returned. Pants and shirts were balled-up and shoved into the bag. Many items need to be re-laundered in that I plan to pass them on to friends and/or family. Just because they didn't use my items, doesn't mean they can manhandle them. The are still MINE! I sent them an email expressing how disappointed I was with the condition of my returned clothing and NO ONE EVER RESPONDED. In addition, the amount they pay for top quality, name-brand items is ridiculously low. I would rather donate my clothing to charity myself. Question: Does threadUP claim the clothing they donate on their tax return? So "kind" of them to offer to dispose of the clothing for you...... My guess is there is some financial benefit for them in doing so. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME!

In the spirit of fairness I would like to include this UPDATE: About 1 week after I wrote this review, thread UP finally responded to my email. They were very apologetic about the condition in which my clothes were returned and refunded the $12 return postage fee.

brandym8
8/19/15

I sent good clothing, 12 pieces, some still with the tags on them. They "bought" one item, or so they said, for which they were going to pay me $1. It was a Jones lbd, in perfect condition. I wish I would have read the reviews before I sent them the clothing.

pennys13
8/19/15

I just bought 14 items for $72. That's an average of $5.14 each for brands like gap, Gymboree, and Oshkosh. I've bought from them before and the packaging and customer service are amazing. I haven't sold to them, but I understand they aren't trying to profit me. I need to get rid of some things that don't fit my little guy anymore and they are willing to take them off my hands conveniently for me and pay me a little at the same time. What's not to love? Honestly, if I wasn't sending to them postage free, they'd be sitting in a box waiting for me to make a special trip to Goodwill which is likely to never happen because I never go to that side of town.

zoramis
8/19/15

Great customer service! I love getting to clear out my closet and then have "free money" to shop with. Especially on a site where I can find clothes for both me and my toddlers. I have found some of my best kids overalls & jackets here. Also, love getting a bunch of comfy shirts for myself without having to break el banco.

pamelam38
8/18/15

I had been buying and selling to thred up since their inception ( they were just selling women's clothing, then they added girls clothing). I loved the company! I was sending in my brand name gently used items and being compensated fairly. I was also purchasing from them regularly, it wasn't unusual to see the cute box waiting for me when I got home from work. I raved to my friends about Thred up and even got two of them to become regular customers.

But recently the company has had a change of policy in terms of consignment items. Before the policy took effect, I sent them a bag of women and children clothes.The items were brand names like Jacadi,Janie&Jack,Ralph Lauren,Express..some with tags. In that bag was a girls Christmas coat/dress set purchased at Nordstroms for $150 with tags attached..I received a whopping $26 for the ENTIRE bag!

Never again, this left such a sour taste in my mouth. Unless you want to receive next to nothing for them, go ahead and consign your items. I haven't bought from them since and I can no longer recommend them with the same enthusiasm as I once had.

tracyr15
8/18/15

Do not sell your nice items to them without return assurance. I didn't do my homework like Normally do about a company and was duped into thinking they would pay out for my Nwt items I sent in several bags because we were moving and was anticipating the payoff to be worth the month long wait it took to process the bags...drummm roll...I made $11 between the first to bags I sent in (stuffed with over $500 in designer nwt and like new items) roughly $1 and item that I saw them reselling for $15 and up. I've sent an email. I'd at least like to know where my designer threads landed. Will not do business with them again. Read complaints on BBB! I would love to see them go out of business!

lynner5
8/18/15

Buying from them might be great. Selling not so much. They send a postage paid bag for you to send your things in. That's good. I sent a few name brand items as a test. 2 items were cashmere sweaters with the original tags still on them. Bottom line they paid me 1.97
for the items. 2 new cashmere sweaters etc and I got 1.97.

kathyj25
8/17/15

The thing I like best about ThredUp is that their rating system is honest. If they note that there is pilling or fading then you know prior to purchasing that item what to expect. I like the close up views you can get on the pictures on their site too. All the clothes I've bought for my kids were in great shape, you'd never know they were hand me downs.

sarag37
8/17/15

I have ordered from ThredUp a handful of times, but it has been a consistently good experience. The clothes have been of good quality and I find the prices - if you look through for the deals you want - very helpful for my budget. I love receiving those polka dotted boxes in the mail!

tracys65
8/17/15

DONT SELL TO THEM. I had 4 overstuffed bags with clothes with tags on.. Name brands $72 - BS. This company is a ripoff. Have asked for them to return it all.

kareng63
8/16/15

ThredUp used to have a very reasonable shipping cost, and for a while they even had free return shipping. Now, since they raised their shipping cost, and instituted an outrageous return shipping deduction if you want a refund, I rarely shop there unless I'm looking for something very specific. In order to waive the high return shipping cost, you have to take store credit, which locks you into buying something from their site again and paying the high shipping cost AGAIN. I agree with others about not sending clothing in for resale. The last time I sent a huge bag of darling boys clothing, hardly used, and got $5. Never again. I've also had to request full refunds for items that were defective or measured incorrectly. On a good note, their customer service is excellent.

Tip for consumers: Buy brands in sizes that you KNOW will fit. If you have any problems with an item, talk to customer service (they have a handy instant chat feature) and stick to your guns about getting ALL your money back.

jb151
8/15/15

DO NOT SELL TO THEM! They accepted about 10 of my brand new designer items (betsey johnson, antik, guess, etc.) and gave me $26.00...total. THEN they sent back the remainder of my items tossed in a bag, not even folded, and they were DAMAGED and had hair on them like from an employee trying them on!!!!! IN ADDITION I've been trying to contact them for almost a week, their phone doesn't even ring, it goes straight to voicemail. I emailed them and they delayed responses by 2-3 days in between emails and wrote pre-worded answers instead of actually answering my question. I'm extremely disappointed, I've used similar sites in the past but I've never had such a low payout, or such horrible customer service. This company screams SCAM to me. What kind of business doesn't have a working phone??? So STAY FAR AWAY- I'd give them zero stars if that were an option.

joesphineh
8/15/15

I love this site to purchase items - the returns are free and easy. However, I sent in multiple bags of EXPENSIVE, NEW clothes and they didn't even take them. I got extremely ripped off and will never sell to them again, but I will continue to make regular purchases on their site. So, BUY INSTEAD OF SELL to them.

jackelinem
8/14/15

tbh your better off selling them somewhere else or donating yourself ,$1.40 for a pair of nike shorts that cost me 30 and only worn twice and looked like new ,its a rip off

griseldag
8/13/15

I have sold, bought and returned items to them, each experience better than the last. In terms of selling clothes to them some people need to lower their expectations and realize you are not going to get what you paid for. I do agree some of the items are priced much less than what I wanted but what do you expect. For those who want their clothes back and think they are scamming people when they say they cannot sell an item, request the option to have them sent back. I ordered several new dresses with tags and it had to be some of the best packaged items I have ever received. I loved their attention to detail when I received an item from them. Nothing but good experiences for me and I have returned well over 10 bags with two on the way to them and two more bags to fill for me.

ag660
8/13/15

My favorite second hand shop to buy from. Lovely selection & well kept product. Easy returns!

amberl34
8/11/15

I honestly wished I listened to all the negative reviews I read before sending this disgusting company my stuff. I sent is so many name brand clothing. Nike, Ralph Lauren, osh josh, Guess, etc... Some new with tags or things I had only taken the tags off. They gave me $10 and only accepted a couple things. Now I understand that they supposedly check everything but here's the thing. Several of the items they claimed were no good all of a sudden were on their website for sale. Same size same color. Right after they accepted my bag of clothing. A Nike sweatshirt that was new without tags that they didn't give me a cent for. This wasn't a common sweatshirt. Let alone to have the same size I sent. This was the sweatshirt I had sent. They claimed they couldn't sell. Gave me nothing for and are selling it for $25. I checked the so called seller that was selling it and it just so happened the seller was in the same location as the company. Do not send your clothing here. You are honestly better off giving them away to someone that needs clothing. Please stop sending these scam artists clothing. Sell them on eBay, in a yard sale, or give them away.

ericah13
8/11/15

The sizes can be weird at times, I got a small sweater and it could easily be a xl. And they do need to describe the material because half the clothes I wasn't expecting. There prices are starting to get higher also. But overall there clothes are in good condition and very cute. One last thing...DO NOT SELL YOUR CLOTHES TO THEM!

lindseyd13
8/10/15

I sent in a HUGE bag of name brand kids clothes. Half the clothes were barely worn. In the bag contained 59 items (I know because I wrote down every article I sent) of Old Navy, Gap, Gymboree. They only accepted 20 pieces of clothing and got a whopping $13 back. I'm so upset. That money was going for my kids' Christmas. Never again will I send them things.

cindyl41
8/10/15

I ordered for the first time and won't do again they give you a very expensive return option and if you get a credit you would pay shipping again for the other item. Won't use them again and the skirts were too small and they were my exact size that I wear all the time from the retailer they were made from. I won't use again and would not recomment

katherinek11
8/10/15

I have only bought from ThredUp. I have not tried to sell my personal clothing with them. All my purchases have been fantastic. The prices are perfect for someone who wants to invest in nice brands and nice pieces but while being mindful of how much it all costs. I love ThredUp!

nicholeh3
8/9/15

I love Thredup!!!! I can honestly say I have had no problems with them at all. When you send in a bag of clothes, they are quick to get back to you with a good price!!!!! I am a plus size lady and I love the fact that they have a great variety of plus size clothes at very reasonable prices!!!!!! I recommend Thredup to all my friends!!!!!

17 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
Answer
suzannes13
A: This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.
6/22/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: Did u receive the bag of clothes I sent?
4/14/15
Answer
shandad3
A: Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling
4/17/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP