US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

charismam

I've never dealt with a person from TU so I can't attest to customer service. (in 198 reviews)

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 886 reviews)

jenniferm189

I sent in very high quality clothes (primarily Theory). (in 833 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

saraf32
5/28/16

I was so incredibly disappointed by my experience with selling to Thredup for multiple reasons. I was not expecting to get rich or even receive a substantial sum of money from the large quantity of high-end quality clothing I was sending in.
I was however hoping to purchase a couple of new pieces with the money I received from the clothing they sold which was on average 95% of what I sent in.
Unfortunately, I found the pricing and consignment system so convoluted and difficult to comprehend I found every time I made a purchase of two or three items I was spending $60-100!

kellyh110
5/26/16

reviews. They are not actual customers of this, or any other site. Proceed with caution.

cherylm88
5/26/16

I love to navigate and browse their thoughtful and fun site, and have found some great things, but the prices are now as high as current, new, discount chain stores on most items. Harder to find the gems.

soniav7
5/25/16

I sent in a bag full of good items that they sold a great prices and I essentially made $1.00 off of each item they sold. I could've made more at a garage sale. There were even a pair of brand new stylish Crocs with tags in there that I could've sold on EBay for the entire amount I received from ThredUp. I made a huge mistake and I'm totally regretting it.

ts169
5/25/16

If you send ANYTHING that you may want back, make sure that you ask for "Return Assurance" on your items. I had a beautiful Coach bag kept by them, stating that they didn't sell that style anymore. I have checked their website many times and they sell the exact same style as the bag I sent in. My bag was in excellent used condition and authentic. They totally ripped me off.

nikkim18
5/24/16

I've sent in a total of 14 bags & hVe yet to see a cent!! I can't get s reply from anyone thank God I kept all the high end things at the house!! To put on either Poshmart or ebay!! However I DID send in slot of clothes & haven't saw 1 penny & it's been almost a month now I hope I see some $$ very soon or else I'm gng to report them!!!

jenifers2
5/24/16

I have been a customer for about 3 years now. In the beginning the clothes were cheaper and they paid more for the clothes you sent them. However, the customer service was always quick, efficient, helpful and professional. I love their packaging and they advertise well. I just wish since Thredup gets a lot of clothes in, that they can be more reasonable with the pricing. They have equal to higher prices as ROSS, MARSHALLS, TJMAXX.

jennifert98
5/24/16

I love the variety thredup has to offer. Placing orders is quick and easy- as are returns. My only complaint is the search feature is sometimes nagging and difficult to find exactly what I want.

lisad151
5/24/16

I have emailed and called (left a message no one answers) about a return of clothing I made about two weeks ago and have yet to receive a response regarding my refund or credit. Not very happy. Wish I read reviews prior to my purchase.

sarahs257
5/23/16

Just wanted to suggest, to all the people having bad experiences with this site, to try Swap.com instead. They allow you to manage your own stuff on their site and they also have this really awesome process where they will still take anything they don't actually sell, so if you never want to see it again you don't have to. The prices are pretty good also, on the buying side. Its mostly baby/kids, womens and some homeware stuff; they don't have much men's stuff, however I think that would change if they were more well-known. Any way, just throwing it out there for anyone disappointed by thredUP and might not have heard of swap before.

zosiaf1
5/22/16

I sent total of 4 bags. Two first ones were all the clothes I didn't wear and I got pretty decent return. However, the problems started when I sent designer items! ALL the high end designer items were rejected because of stains/cracks...It just happen that I had pictured of 1 pair of shoes that I sent, worn once! Looking brand new! And they were rejected? Shame on you thredup! I sent several emails to customer service but the responses were the same: the items were rejected because of the stains...How awful! I will never send anything else!

ha10139
5/22/16

I have tried tried up multiple times starting back when it first began. At the beginning it wasn't too bad but as time when on the site became more and more how do I say -picky. That's just not the right word. They give you a plastic bag for you to send items in and give you a list of what they except which has become more and more about specific brands then nice great condition clothes. Every time I have sent a bag in of gently used children's clothes I get an email stating they were only able to accept 1 or 2 items out of a bag on 20-30 name brand items and give you only cents for the items.
Last bag sent in had about 30 items some never worn and the "buyout" was $7.00. My latest experience is this- full bag mailed in, 2 months later received an email telling me my bag was unusable as they detected an odor. All the items were freshly washed before placing in the bag and sealing it to mail. The items were in the bag for over 3 months by the time the site opened the bag to process.
This will be the last time I use or buy from Thred Up. It is definitely not worth it. At this point I would rather donate locally or sell to Plato's Closest or Once upon a Child. MUCH better experiences.

jeand38
5/21/16

This isn't a business to make you money - it's a business the make them money and that is never misrepresented! Of COURSE you aren't going to make loads of money, that was never even an option. $1-$2 per item I think is fantastic and better than nothing. This is not eBay where you collect all the revenue. People need to use this service as what it is and stop expecting it to be eBay for lazy people- it's nothing like that and if you want 100% of the revenue you need to do 100% of the work. I am very happy with both as seller and buyer, even though it's slow processing. I am very appalled with the entitled people leaving 1 star expecting to have someone else do their selling, marketing, shipping and still expecting a full pay out.

shawnaw4
5/20/16

Everyone that has taken the time to write a review is 100% correct. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME SELLING CLOTHES TO THREDup!!!!!!!!

Thredup is a Huge huge HUGE waste of time and effort. Trust me, I do NOT have unrealistic expectations, but they go beyond the low ball rate and they're only doing what they can get away with. Not to mention: it's been almost 4 mos since I mailed off a huge bag of almost brand new name brand clothes - most with tags or never used. I now received an email stating a a potential payout of $49 I would have thought min would be at the very least double that (they're potentially buying only 16 items of the 40+ items I sent) i still have to wait for the items have to sell prior to me seeing any money!! This is probably written somewhere but I didn't read because I didn't care but it's something that should be up front and announced to the public. EVERTHING you send them you'll probably only get a handful purchased for about $2 each. I know you're thinking 'that's something', 'it's money without having to do very much' or whatever ?! but I did send them only things I knew would Sell, things I purchased for a substantial amount, etc but what pissed me off the most was that several items that were brand new they said they were "flawed" and selling in their basement closet (??) or something similar to that. I'm not someone who has ridiculous expectations and really didn't care too much about getting any money at all. Trust me, I'm not trying to get rich or even thought I'd get a huge payout but was curious and thought this would be a great company to send them my compulsive shopping aftermath habit to help support more purchase....but it was very insulting and, without a doubt, they are shady and scamming people!!!! They are also using charity donations as a cover, as if they are philanthropists, but nothing in their business process or practices point to anything but being huge predators and opportunists! On a side note: I never purchased anything from them so have no opinion about that. I was wanting and waiting to see how they would treat a seller prior to me giving them business or money and now I will most defiantly NOT give them money with a purchase nor send them anything ever again!!

Please spread the word and do not keep this company or these people in business. Someone is making money and it's not the person sending them goods to sell - that's for sure!!!!! On the contrariary: I will 110% support any petition to put them out of business!!!

jenns32
5/19/16

People need to google the definition of scam. Yes they are extremely slow processing items you are trying to sell. And yes they give you small amounts of money and then they sell it for significantly more. Well...welcome to business 101. This is how they make money. If you don't like it do the effort yourself and sell in eBay or poshmark. But they can pay what they will because they are doing the effort. I've sent several bags in and get about $30 a bag. You won't get rich but it cleans out my closet. I save the week worn clothes for the goodwill and sell perfect condition items here. They've accepted everything I've sent especially when you look at it from a keen eye to begin with.

bb129
5/19/16

I was just curious so i thought i would scroll through this mess, first of all i LOVE thredup! I have ordered from them for a while now and out of about 20 items i have adored 18 of them and the other 2 didnt fit right but sometimes that happens when ordering online. Now second I keep reading how " waaa waaa i sent in my clothes and they paid me 2 dollars a piece for them but they made 10 dollars a piece for them, Well dears its a business they are not going to give u the 10 they make nor or they going to give you 80% or whatever you feel you deserve. They have a caculator on their website and all the details why in the world did you not add up what you was going to get before sending it in. Before you think well i still dont care what this crazy girl says i got stiffed its not fair and whatever ,... ALL THE DETAILS ARE ON THE WEBSITE AND THEY GIVE YOU A CACULATOR. now cmon i know people like to complain but thats pretty upfront and basicly they are just trying to help you clean out your closet not make you rich.

connieb64
5/19/16

Thred Up is a rip off. Their percentages in the payoff calculations are way off. For example of the eleven items I have listed totaling $238.00, my payout was just under $49. You make an average of $1 dollar and they take $4.85

It also took almost a month for them to process my bag

brendak33
5/19/16

Several BRAND NEW, beautiful, little girls dresses, with tags, were sent. They "recycled" them. Isn't that a joke? I wish I had given them to a shelter!!! Save yourself from feeling like a perfect idiot. Give your clothes away!

kristinr14
5/17/16

I do love shopping at Thredup, but they pay next to nothing if you sell to them. Not worth it, and I won't be selling to them again.

laylel
5/17/16

I have no affiliation with this site, I just simply LOVE it. I have had excellent customer service that was timely, courteous and efficient. Every item I've purchased has exceeded expectations and comes wrapped so pretty you feel like you are opening a gift. I buy from Thredup weekly....just seeing the cute polka dot package on my door step makes me smile. I CAN'T imagine why all these negative reviews .... gripers take the time to write a review.....FANS, write a review & be heard. I want this site to be successful. Love it!

maryj190
5/17/16

I sent in five dresses, three still with tags and two worn once. They wanted to give me $50 for all of them. I asked for my dresses back. This is the scam. Soon as they get your clothes, they put them online. That way, they sell quickly and and you are stuck with their ludicrous payout. Please stay away from this site. P.S. I signed up for the $12.99 to send my clothes back if not accepted. They declined one (with a tag, never worn) That way they can deduct that amount from that lovely $50 payout they offer you. I am now at $37 for 5 dresses. I am so done...fully cooked. PLEASE PEOPLE! Share this with all your friends. They should not be able to get away with this.

crissyt
5/17/16

I sent an entire bag of good quality clothing. From never worn to new with tags. Smocked dresses, boutique capri sets, womens dresses, shoes. They accepted 17 items with a quick calculation of what is already listed/showing sale price, they are listing it all for about $150. Guess what they paid me, a whole $20!!! Again, do NOT send your clothing there. You would be better donating it and getting the tax receipt for a write off. I wish I would have just given the clothes to friends now.

otonielg
5/17/16

So glad i read these reviews first. If you're not expecting any money for your high end clothing then fine, But don't send any valuables in exchange for money.

jessicap90
5/16/16

Charged my card FIVE times.... no response but an automated email.... almost want to just say give me back my money

megang27
5/14/16

A lot of people say that selling to Thredup is a scam; the things you should remember is that they need to run a business and are offering the opportunity for you to sell your clothes for something you did not have before. You will never get what you "expect" for the items but you will get something and that is the idea here. Their product is great and shopping is fun here, their customer service is helpful and there to make sure you are satisfied.

Tip for consumers: Sell responsibly, if you are attached to your items in anyway do not sell. Also, buy more than one item at a time to save some money on shipping, this is where things can get pricey if you do not.

virginiam27
5/14/16

I don't understand why people are giving negative reviews for this company. It tells you everything you need to know. I wanted to clean out my closet so I ordered 2 clean out kits. I filled both bags almost to the blowing up the bags. My bags had name brand clothes, name brand pocket books. I didn't pick this company to make money I picked it because they send you the kits w/return postage paid so all you do is fill them up. Yes I make did a little but it was better than taking them to a business I want mention the name. I purchased a name brand purse Bueno w/tags with some of my money and I still have a credit. Bottom line they paid for everything and I knew I could make something but that was not why I did it. Love Threadup

karaw11
5/14/16

I sent in a clean out bag thinking that my high label brand new with tags which I have yet to have processed. First, I mailed out my clean out bag in March, it's now May and still have yet to hear about the status, the customer service only replies back that they are in the process. This is a SCAM! I completely understand the hard work to define and inventory but people can go to their nearest Good Will and have a tax deduction which would be more than what they will more than likely give me. Their timing is so slow that I am almost willing to complain to the Better Business Bureau. Their receiving area is in PA however the store is registered in CA. Very suspicious. People complaining about slow process times and very little money on very upscale clothing is almost criminal to me. I did order some items, they were smelly old looking and most did not even resemble the pictures. Most of the items I returned which also took a long time. The return amount WAS credited to the store which to me is how they make their money. I am so unsatisfied and agree with all of these reviews that we all should file a class action law suit for deception in advertising which they are very careful to NOT describe the value of $1 you actually get for an item new with tags they sell for over $50. It's a huge SCAM! Items you do not want, they actually send to a recycler that is great right? Green right? Well, you'd do better to get the tax deduction and donate to Good Will. This is NOT right everyone! NOT right.. something has to be done!

jenm43
5/14/16

Back in February i sent in 30 items to tread up. I chose not to spend extra money (about $12) to have the rejected items sent back. 2 weeks after mailing it, a confirmation email said it will be another months' wait for them to look over the clothes. A month and a half later they confirmed they chose 10 items and credited me only $10.17!!!! half the items were never worn or still had tags on them. Spendig the extra money to get my other 20 articles back wouldve made me paying them to take a few of my clothes. They sold 7 of my items for over $20 which is absolutely ridiculous compared to the $1 per item i recieved.

jamies104
5/14/16

You get good deals if you are buying but if you are selling, you get literally pennies on the dollar of what your item is worth (if they even take it). Plus, you have an extremely long wait time for your items to even get processed (one month minimum) due to their backlog. You will get more money for your items (and sooner) with not that much more work if you sell it on ebay or even at a yard sale. Also, people think that the items they don't take that you don't pay to get sent back to you will be donated to charity. They aren't. Thredup profits by selling the items to a clothing recycler who destroys the clothing for the materials.

victoriap28
5/13/16

I've been reading all these negative reviews and I really don't see why people are so upset about the price ThredUp pays for buying clothing. They are vey upfront about their rates! It's on the website, people! I've sent in three bags so far (of clothing I would have been donating anyway) and so have been very happy to get some money for them.

And in terms of buying - I've gotten about 7 things from them so far and have been totally satisfied with their clothing. I think this is a great service: I appreciate being able to recycle clothing and keep it out of a landfill, make a little money, and get some new (to me) pieces for my wardrobe.

heatherw56
5/13/16

I've tried multiple times using thredup to sell my clothes too. Not only is the pay out low, but worst part they have "lost" two of my large bags. Then when I tried to resolve the issue they would only email and just say they are working on it, until you grow tired of dealing with it. After the second bag was lost, I stopped using it.

amandav13
5/12/16

I sent in a bag of baby clothes (8 - 10 items) in new to nearly new condition. My bag included mostly Janie and Jack and Baby Gap I received $5.85. A quick search on the site and I found the items I sent in being sold from $8- $12. What a scam.

jessicab150
5/12/16

I have sold tons of clothing (womens, maternity & kids) to thredUp and have been very happy with the results. It's all stuff I would've been getting rid of anyway, so to get a few bucks for it is great. I wish the turnaround time for processing my clothing was faster though.

As for purchasing, thredUp is AWESOME for kids clothing. For the same price you'd pay at Target, you can get high quality, name-brand items that look brand new. I've also been pretty happy with the items I've purchased for myself (mostly shirts), but it's hit or miss with the cut and sizing. But with free returns (if you choose to receive a store credit), it's ok to risk it and order the item even if you're not sure it will work.

Overall, I recommend thredUp and have been pleased with the company, service and items purchased.

aldithc
5/12/16

happy I found this site, great stuff if you don't purchase the moment you seen it, It will be gone that's thredUP.

nancyb142
5/12/16

I have sent 4 clean out bags, so easy to use. I love the process. I would recommend to anyone who wants to clean out their closets and make some money $$

lissyq
5/12/16

WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!! DO NOT SEND ANY CLOTHES TO THEM. I wish I would have read the reviews before sending in my items. I sent in 4 brand new items (3 pants, 1 dress) all BCBG with tags and got $16.61 for them. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

elainej17
5/12/16

They took my money, sent me pants with holes in the butt (was described as excellent like new condition), I contacted them and they told me to generate a return label on their site which I did, then after I mailed the pants back I contacted them to tell them to credit my return shipping fee as they promised since the item was defective and not as described, and they now deny that a return was ever started!!!! The girl "Maria" at their customer service completely denies that a return was started, even though it is ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!! She told me to start a new return process and mail the pants back, but I have already mailed them!!! I don't have them anymore, and now I am out the pants (with holes) and my money! I am going to sue this fraudulent company and I will never use it again!!!

reallym1
5/12/16

I sent a bag full of brand new clothes, either never worn with no tags or with tags. The bag must have had about 400$ worth of clothing and i got a measly 10$ for everything in there. They were saying some of my brand new items ( i bought two right before sending them out and it didn't fit) had stains ??? They accepted 11 items and are shipping everything else back. They kept the more expensive stuff and if i would have known this i would have sold my clothes on poshmark and got a bigger profit. I'm annoyed beyond reason so don't do it to yourself. They suck.

cindiec
5/12/16

I ordered 3 items and 1 of the items did not fit well. I wanted to return the item and have tried to retrieve the return label plus pay the $8.99 fee without success. I have emailed support and tried to call them with no response.now due to their lack of professionalism I am past the 14 days of being able to return my items. Needless to say I will NEVER order from them again.

judiec2
5/11/16

my daughter and I sent in two bags of clothes, we gotRIPPED OFFisent in 30 high end clothes an they only accepted 8 pieces for a total of 23.00, my daughter who is a clothes buyer and has all high end top brand clothes still with tags sent 40 pieces they kept 30, and she only got 32.00 THEY RIP YOU OFFI know the are selling our clothes somewhere else so we cant track it and get paid

johnandsuea
5/11/16

I just sent in a clean out bag, which has NOT been processed. I would like to order another clean out bag today, but seems thedup won't allow me.
When can I order another clean out bag?
Jeannine

kellyg65
5/11/16

I was going to send my new clothes w/tags and changed my mind. Glad I read the reviews..

terrib41
5/11/16

I love everything I've bought from Thred Up!

leahd14
5/11/16

They are off on the clothing measurements. Purchase only clothes with tags the other things are well worn. The shoes are a sure thing excellent condition and excellent buys. After several orders I have found several other like sellers that I will switch too. The customer service in San Francisco are not helpful when it comes to returns. Good luck

beverlyb42
5/9/16

well I recieved my "clean out" bag today and upon ready the cards that came with it, found out the name brands I have are not deemed worthy of this site...I will use my bag for cat litter

christyg8
5/9/16

I sent in 25 items. Mostly designer/high end(Armani, Burberry, Ralph Lauren) and many items new with tags. I got $36.88. They are selling 1 of my items for well over that. Contacted the company and no one responds. Shut it down!!

lisac201
5/7/16

Well, you chased away a potential customer. I tried to go and just browse, as a would-be a new customer. Must sign in with social media or email to do so. NOPE.

brookem23
5/6/16

Unfortunately, my first and last experience with your company was not a pleasant one. I had heard of your company from two friends in my daughters girl scout troop and they raved about it however, I later found out they had only purchased and never sent anything to you to be sold. I ordered my first bag, received it and was feeling pretty excited about doing this. So I scheduled time in my calendar to go through my daughters and my closet, which you can probably imagine with three daughters and a husband that travels is no easy task to manage. So, after narrowing down the clothing, fitting it into the bag and scheduling a pickup I was excited to let it go. A few weeks pass an I start to worry, here I am sending this bag and I have no way to track it, no email confirmation that it was received by the post office, it was just gone and I had to hope that it would just find its was to you and if it got lost then I was just outta luck as I didn't have anyplace in my email a tracking number associated with the bag I sent. THEN, I finally got an email that it was received and it could take some time to go through everything and I will be notified once its been gone through how much I would be receiving. Now this is where I really got upset. I sent in well over 30 items, some still with tags and I was excited to possibly getting some credit to shop within your online store. So the email read, your company decided to keep 22 items and I would be receiving a whopping... $19.33!!!!! That is less that $1 per item, and I was thinking..that has GOT to be a mistake!! I log in online and look at the 22 items your company decided to keep and added up how much you would be selling all these items and that total came to $158!!!! Just WOW!!! Your willing to give your customer a measly $19 but have no problem selling it for $158. Now I understand the process, setting it all up, taking the pictures, writing all the information as to name brand-size..etc, I really do as I have sold my items online before and had to do that very same thing, so I know it is time consuming. I was excited to send my bag in and not have to do the grunt work, but mostly to get away from having to schedule the drop off times and meeting some scary people in unsafe places. But COME ON, $19 is not even worth the time and energy I put into sending the bag in the first place. I could of pulled the same clothing, sold it at our neighborhood garage sale and made way more than that. I know you are probably thinking "then why didn't you". Well, honestly it was a nice idea to be able to send in bags to your company year round as yard sales are typically in the spring so I wanted a test run instead of grabbing a garbage bag and throwing it in the attic to sit until Spring. Then the kicker, I asked for my items to be returned to me since well I didn't just send in bad clothing and could sell them myself at a yard sale, so out of that $19.33 you took over $12 out to ship it back...so my grand total credit that I was excited to get and spend...$6. I am very disappointed in this company and will not shop nor ever be ordering another sell bag.

juliem130
5/6/16

This is not a traditional consignment arrangement. Literally, based on what I sent in, some of which they didn't take, I ended up making about $1 per item. If you include the clothes they didn't take, I made less than $1 an item. It's not worth a closet clean out and trip to the post office for that. Sorry! My bag totaled about $14. From what I hear this is the average payout. What they do not make clear on the web site is that if your item is not LISTED by them at $60 or more (meaning, it has to be worth that much in used condition), you are only getting the pay out, which is tiny. So unless you shop at Saks Fifth Avenue for all of your clothes, you aren't making jack squat off of them. It took me digging around to figure out what the pay-out meant vs. the consignment. The information was very absent in the instructions and explanation of how things work.

Some other squirrely things: I sent in a brand new pair of Naot pumps, never worn, in the original box, and they were neither paid out up front nor consigned. These shoes retail for $150 and up, and I saw far uglier and more expensive shoes for sale in gently used condition on their web site. I did not pay the $12 to have my items sent back to me and it's a good thing, because that would have meant I netted about $2 for all of my trouble. Another squirrely thing was that the items that they paid me 'up front' for, I never saw listed when I went to shop on the web site. As of today, all but one of my items (a Tahari dress new with tags) has sold, according to them, but the last dress is nowhere to be found on their web site and that is just weird. My things are cute and sold within about a week, but I checked repeatedly and never saw one item up there. Do they have a store front somewhere or something? I don't really get how I can send things to a consignment website and then never see the listing posted on the actual catalog. Weird.

If Thred Up could have given me $25-$35 for my bag, I would have been a lot happier. I am not vain about my clothes or think they are worth more than they are when used, but including shipping and processing, getting the price per item for nice things closer to $4 or $5 an item would leave people a lot happier and probably have them do business with you again. $1 an item isn't good enough for my trouble and I won't be back. I wouldn't order a Thred Up bag again unless the items I put in it were on their way to the trash. Then it would be worth it.

I understand that there is a cost to shipping the items in, as well as the man-power needed to process and list the items, but this is not what I would call a true consignment arrangement which usually gets you at least 40% of the sale price. They call themselves 'Consignment and Thrift', when it should really be Thrift and Consignment. The bulk of what they do is thrift-store pricing for stuff they didn't pay much for. The convenience of their business model means it costs you a lot more than if you just figured out a way to sell your items yourself. So take this into consideration when you decide to send clothes in. Maybe this is just a really expensive business to run and they can't help it, but that doesn't mean I'm doing business with them again.

chandar1
5/5/16

They kept bombarding me with emails especially one woman from thred up who was sarcastic and rude when you questioned where your money had gone. I would receive emails that my clothes were sold and such and such amount but never see the money because they are the most disorganized lot out there. Dont send your clothes in - give them away is better because these people are going to give you a hard time for your money. I got sick of dealing with them and told them they could keep the rest of the money. Most disorganized and rude people run it. I told my neighbor to order a kit and then i had to tell her DONT because they would drive her nuts.

64 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
4 days ago
Add your answer
6 days ago
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

6 Photos for thredUP