US Government's NSF

Softpedia reviews

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

Softpedia is the best of one of a few safe websites for locating and downloading freeware and shareware applications. What really impresses me is Softpedia provides the links, mirrors and files wth no wrappers containing PuP's (potentialy unwanted and/or malicious programs). When you download a file from Softpedia you can be assured you are not recieving any other uneccesary programs in the process.

I found Softpedia after C/Net's began forcing software developers to accept their proprietary wrappers, but that's another review. Softpedia is a breeze to use being one of the most user friendly websites of it's kind on the internet. The navigation is graphically based and is as easy to use as any modern day operating system. Kudos to Softpedia for usability and honesty!

I have had nothing much other than bad luck with Softpedia dot com. Real one, for Windows 6.5 Mobile had a virus. Supposedly, it could only be installed after it was "extracted" on the desktop. It would install a "Real 1" logo icon on the phone and the desktop, but no working media player. Instead, it installed a virus that was able to use my emails to mass mail all of my contacts and, had stolen all of my saved passwords and debit card info and sent that to an email dump. This most recent time it was a downloaded free game app for windows, "Air Strike 3D," which is packing a variant of the Zeus trojan.

It is a garbage site you really need to stay away from. I mean, if they lie and say they virus scan the apps they offer for downloading, where are these real viruses I have gotten from these apps coming from?

It is an untrustworthy site. Downloader be warned!

If you want safe downloads go to C-net's Downloads dot com; I have never had problems with their site.

Any real work we do to make games and things for Softpedia to use, they treat it like it was garbage, thinking 3 months straight of work is "rushed" when they probably don't even know about the origin of the game itself since they think their so great. They think they can insult the artist of they think it's bad, even though it takes a long time to draw the characters and whatnot, and they are both anatomically correct and very detailed. Hard work is nothing to them. Also, don't download crap for them, you'll get tons of viruses and malware up the butt.

This site contains fake downloads for all softwares and drivers. No matter what exe title you see, what you're actually downloading is an ad generator exe that not only generates ads but it's very difficult to uninstall due to the speed it creates them! Be aware!!! Stay away!!

It was impossible to find decent users in my intetest area.

Uses their "news" articles to advertise. Heavily censors those that don't agree. The censorship seems heavily targeted against U.S. citizens, which is strange seeing they
are a Romanian company using a U.S. domain name. They promote ad-ware aka spyware
as being safe freeware in their file areas. Beware, some are almost uninstallable or can not be removed. Repeated complaints by e-mail go ignored.

I downloaded freeware from softpedia. Right on the site page it indicated the site had been tested and was free of any spyware, malware or viruses. The instant I hit the download button I started getting repeated active X control errors like 5 per second. I shut my computer down when I brought it up I saw the icons on my desktop had tripled. I deleted everything I saw that downloaded but I am still having some pretty ugly issues with my computer. I will never download anything from a third-party vendor again.

Lots of "honest" sites to use so give Softpedia a pass, they are bottom feeders. They download garbage onto your PC, hijack your browser etc. Always beware of sites that use their own downloader to get the file you want. It will also download their unwanted garbage. A good site you will just be able to download the file you were looking for and that's it.

i have been using this site since 2003, they had close to honest reviews on all softwares , i recommend it

Tried to download a graphics driver, but when I installed it instead got loads of malware and redirected to a games site which wanted credit card details it wouldn't use - yeah right! Stay well away!

My first download was paired with malware. Below is a copy of my report to Symantec, the makers of Norton Internet Security. It took three calls to Norton and about three hour total until their helpful support reps succeeded to completely remove this nasty piece of Malware described below. I will stay away from this site from now on and my advise for you is to do the same!

"Every time I start the computer I’m getting the message that NORTON is handling a threat from SecurityRisk.Downldr, then informs me that either the attack was blocked or that the risk was removed.
Notable is the fact that each time the location of the executable file on my hard drive listed by Norton A/V is a different one. Also, the .exe file name is different each time – the one after my previous start of the computer was “whiteusnew[1].exe”. This event started to occur after I deleted an annoying little piece of software entitled “START SAVIN” that was downloaded without warning while I was downloading Revo Uninstaller from a site called “SoftPedia”. These attacks started the first time I started my computer after removing “START SAVIN” from my hard drive with Revo Uninstaller Pro.
However, there must be something that this malware has installed on my computer which triggers its action each time I start the computer. Moreover, whenever I’m using the Internet, I am still getting pop-ups from “START SAVIN” even though, since deleted, its name does no longer show in either ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS of Windows or REVO Uninstaller!? Obviously this malware action hinders the availability of my computer until this attack has been resolved.
I scanned the computer with Norton Anti Virus and BitDefender, 3 times each, with no result. Please help. Thanks."

Filename: file_to_run55419.exe

Last Used
3/3/2014 at 3:36:37 PM

Startup Item
Few Users
Fewer than 100 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week ago.

This file risk is high.

Threat type: Security Risk. Programs that pose a security or privacy risk and are not already classified as malicious.

Source: External Media

Source File:

File Actions

Event: Running process: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp\ file_to_run55419.exe Terminated
Infected file: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp\ file_to_run55419.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

i went to download a driver for a sony webcam, And softpedia downloaded virus, computer takeover, ad ware, and toolbar,without prompting me for permission, that had nothing to do with the driver software i clicked on .

I use this website since 2007 and I think it provides quality service which is like wikipedia when we go for quality information.

I downloaded LB task control because this company softpedia said it was 100 percent virus free guaranteed. It had a malicious virus, changed toolbars and home pages and attacked my system.

For the vast majority of downloads, the site is safe. However, their "100% guarantee" of safe downloads should not be believed. I recently downloaded something from there that installed SweetIM without permission. This is a well known issue with SweetIM (firefox has banned it because of this) and there was no notification at the site of this extra software. I wrote and advised them of this malware, but they still do not have advise to users of this on the download page.

This site used to be reliable, but no longer is. There is no way of telling when you will get malware.

I tried to download a simple file utility via this site and it wouldn't let me save the file but instead I could only run it, and when I did, it tried doing all sorts of dodgy things to my computer, including adjusting loads of registry entries!!! Everything it tried to do was completely irrelevant to what I was trying to download and I ended up blocking it. I downloaded the file from elsewhere and it was quick and simple and the new site allowed me to simply save the file, no writing stuff to my registry and no trying to takeover my computer like the download on softpedia! So unless you're happy to gamble with your computer and online security, then don't download anything from this site - you have been warned!!!!!

I found this web site through google, "nebula screensaver download" search and naturally wanted to find out a little more before buying drugs from a stran....downloading something unknown from the internet. Thats I how I found Site Jabber!!! I have since downloaded plenty of odds and ends from here and haven't experienced so much as hint of a problem. This is my "go-to" for simple downloads.

I was able to find a driver for my printer that even the company that build my printer didn't have a good working copy of and that alone saved me from having to buy a new printer.

I have also found this site to have a lot of tech news and good information on upcoming computer technology as well as software downloads.

Although I have had no problems with the things that I have downloaded from them it seems one of the other people reviewing this website has so all I can say is be couscous and run your virus checker before installing any software that you downloaded on your machine. I will also say that is true of any website that you download software from.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least take a look at the site.

WARNING! This is a fraudulent website located in romania promotes and distributes Virus/Conficker Worm. They also steal bandwidth from other websites.

This domain should be suspended due to invalid whois information, should be removed from google search engine for keyword spamming.

I don't know much about PC stuff but I love my iphone and macbook and this site surprisingly had a great section on apple products and news

learned quite a bit that I guess apple doesn't want you to know! will bookmark this site for future mac issues.

i have problems with the check is coming to my house so i need what has been happening to my check if is possible to file complaint to the website i file complaint to ftc so i need i need to know why are not returned my #1738 and amount $22.96 ok? so please email me what should i do about it ok? bye

There are not many sites where I have found I use as reference tools almost all of the time but softpedia has become that for me. If I need a driver updated version, it is often easier to go to softpedia than the manufacturers own website. Use it for mobile devices too!

If you are looking to download anything from a specific driver or if you need a freeware program for a calculation, softpedia is a great resource to find the software you need. I like the way it is organized but it does take a little while to figure out how they organized the site. They also have the latest news on everything from firmware updates for the PS3 to latest drivers for games.

I have found this site to be very useful in learning what downloads are out there. Many times there is already a solution available but finding it is the hard part. This site provides a central location to learn about and download freeware and shareware.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Softpedia staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
A: You didn't notice all of the adds on their website? Some of them are pretty pernicious, and others are masked to look like the download button you're supposed to click on to start your download. Softpedia actually tells you they are not responsible for any computer problems you may get from clicking on an ad link. So, it isn't that they don't know that their advertisers are less than reputable - they don't care, as long as the advertiser pays them for the click you were deceived into making.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Softpedia staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?