US Government's NSF

7/12/14

xoool

josephl36
5/15/14

This is probably my favorite site. I love posting a link debunking a Facebook friend's repost whenever possible, but on a serious note, this place is extremely informative and I'm a fan of how easy it is to find what you're looking for.

linday6
11/29/13

If you are on Facebook, this site is indispensable. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been able to go to this site to quickly debunk some nonsense being spread around by gullible friends, with just a few clicks and a copy/paste. It's amazing what people will believe, even some folks that I thought were pretty savvy.

gerardo84
7/10/13

I honestly can't rate it reliable...I was directed to snopes for the very first time when I was conducting research on the credibility of a certain local enterprise. The info labelled as "fact" by snopes looked like it came directly from the public relations department of the company in question, and the "facts" provided I KNOW FOR A FACT are false. This is based on my personal experience.
So snopes does have a bias towards certain entities. Therefore I have to take the rest of their "facts" at face value.

leisad
3/25/13

always get good information from this site. I love it.

richarda13
2/24/13

I have always checked Snopes instantly upon receiving any email which urges me to send it on to all my friends. That is the big red flag. Invariably these chain emails do turn out to be hoaxes.

One of the stupidest hoax recommendations: Everyone should drink 8 glasses of water per day. The history of this stupidity comes from the dropping off from a government recommendation of the all-crucial statement: "Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods” and propagation of the error in Dr. Erwin Stillman’s publication in 1967, the Doctors Quick Weight Loss Diet, which sold 12 million copies, apparently without being factually checked. A book by a "Doctor", with its gross error, tends to be trusted by 12 million naive readers. For further details read: http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/howmuchwater.htm .

BTW, there is one exceptional condition when drinking enough water on a regular basis may have very real medical value. I am told by a good friend that he totally stopped his frequent incidence of kidney stones by continuously drinking enough water. He claims that, in his particular case, this prevents the seeding of the crystals which lead to the kidney stones. That, to me, is a plausible mechanism. Comments from others on this subject are invited.

jessies25
1/17/13

Snopes.com is the first place I look when my MIL or aunt forward me multicolored, badly formatted email rants/poems/quotes. They have saved me from looking foolish several times, when I was lucky enough to think of checking Snopes before passing along some sketchy information. The site is well-written, with an old school design, easy to navigate, and they've proved themselves worthy of being the internet's official "stamp of approval" on urban legends and rumors.

billb41
10/18/12

Excellent in every way and highly recommended.
The Snopes team are very thorough in their research and the site is comprehensive with regard to the range of subjects they cover.
Very useful to check out before passing on plausible sounding emails that are actually hoaxes and scams that are often forwarded by well meaning, but undiscerning friends and colleagues.

delias3
10/7/12

This is a great site to get the real scoop. Info is fabulous here and most always a great read.

chriss94
10/3/12

I made everyone in my family bookmark this site before contacting me about anything they saw in an email or heard on facebook....I don't try and tell them not to believe everything they hear....I now just send them a snopes link.

robertm66
7/27/12

Excellent source for debunking rumors and accusations that ciculate throughout the web.

naomih3
5/3/12

I receive LOTS of bogus/hoax e-mails passed along by well-meaning people who don't realizing they are spreading disinformation and sometimes hate. I always check with SNOPES to get the real scoop and am always amazed by the depth of information they provide.

paulr33
2/13/12

With a resource such as this one available, you really have to wonder how so many people can believe so much of the unmitigated BS they receive in their email boxes.
This site lets us sort out the facts from the crap with a couple of clicks of the mouse. I wish ALL of my email correspondents would make a habit of using it BEFORE they send me the fundamentally stupid and totally inaccurate propaganda they use to advance some of their foolish beliefs.

lisaf12
12/21/11

Love Snopes! How did we ever debug silly rumours before Snopes. With all the misinformation that circulates on the internet it's nice to know there is a reliable source where you can get the straight up facts.

solb1
8/18/11

Great site for finding out the truth about popular emails, legends, viruses, etc. But just because Snopes says something doesn't make it true!

The bad - popups and banners and flash ads oh my!

joano2
7/21/11

Snopes is a must read before forwarding any of those "send to all your friends" emails!

haroldg
6/14/11

Lots of good info; they seem to have the largest collection of internet hoaxes of any site I've seen. It's just too bad it's so heavily loaded with advertisements; I'd recommend using an ad blocking extension.

laurat6
5/11/11

Great info for debunking myths.

noneyab
3/15/11

This has got to be the number one best pass time site, ever! I love reading the daily odd news and just picking a category each day to rummage through. I think I learned more from snopes than from 4 years of high school, lol.

severnm
2/17/11

There are plenty of times when Snopes claims something is "False" when its own selected facts do not support Snopes' conclusion. You have to drill down on WHY they claim something is true or false, and not simply accept their conclusions at face value.

keythr
1/27/11

One to keep on your bookmark list – when I get an urgent appeal to forward this email virus warning to all my friends / heartbreaking charity appeal / miraculous occurrence / evidence of mass government conspiracy / piece of news that is unusual / scandalous / embarrassing to the subject it is usually worth a couple of seconds checking the story on http://www.snopes.com/ the best urban legend myth buster on the internet. It also helps in flagging the true stories – which virus warnings you should be paying attention to… And if you're bored, a quick surf on snopes will always bring up some bizarre story to amuse you.

tiaw
7/13/10

Not only has snopes.com proved to be accurate time and again re: email hoaxes, I have recently discovered it holds true for text msg hoaxes as well. While no site is perfect, this is a great starting point for researching these "warnings" before you pass them on...

nelsonb
6/22/10

Don't you just love to get those emails from well-meaning friends who want to warn you about some dire internet-or-email-related danger AND PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!

Whenever I get an email that wants me to forward it to everyone in my address book, I copy a unique phrase from the text of the message and head straight to snopes.com and paste it in the search field.

Never, ever, in many years, has it not been a hoax. Or, let me say it this way: it has ALWAYS been a hoax.

I also check with snopes.com whenever I get a message or read of something that seems dubious, apocryphal or somehow "too good or too bad to be true." These have also almost always turned out to be hoaxes and urban legends.

So, dear reader, I recommend snopes.com to you, but, for all of its practical value to internet culture, I'm afraid I have to temper my recommendation just a wee bit -- it is rife with obnoxious flashing and frenetic animated ads and even popups. So on that account, be warned.

Bottom line: for the service it provides, I hold just my nose and use it whenever circumstances require.

edwardk
3/27/09

mythpro - this is an awesome website, i love the legends and myths that are proven true or false it overall a fun site to surf................

julieh
3/24/09

great - This website is great and has a lot of good information. I think it is a very good website and I use it a lot.

roryn
3/23/09

greatness - this website is awesome! it has great pics of all the legends and things you wouldnt think were real.