US Government's NSF
SiteJabber for Companies

20 Reviews for Smugmug.com

▼ Sort by: recent

7/13/14

I have been a loyal SM customer for many years. Their hosting was great until the new version came out. I call it the "New Coke". New look (worse) and leaves you craving the Classic Coke. Converting to it takes months of hard work - which they demand you do for them.

Then they started e-mailing photos of themselves with every support e-mail. NOt just photos of themselves. No, they are so ashamed of how they look, that they paint their faces with religious imagery. I don't appreciate them sending these into my home. I pay them for hosting my photos, not promoting their religion at my expense.

Their support used to be excellent. Their hosting used to be excellent. They used to operate in a professional manner. Those days are gone. Too bad they are wanting to self-destruct.

They need to go on some serious customer support training courses, and learn what corporate professionalism looks like.

7/11/14

I have been a Smugmug customer for a while and had generally liked teh site. But them suddenly, they went to a new version of their photosharing site and that is when the troubles started. The problems with Smugmug are twofold:

1. A horrible, utterly counter-intuitive user interface that makes you waste time doing simple tasks
2. Buggy software

More than anything else, it is the user interface that sucks. The wording of many tabs is mis-leading, it is hard to find features hidden away in the menus, there is no help available upon hovering above a menu item etc.

The software is buggy, behaves differently on different browsers, the online photo editing module PicMonkey is erratic etc.

I made the terrible mistake of recommending the product to several colleagues and friends based on a more positive experience on the previous version of the software. And now I am stuck with giving them tech support on behalf of Smugmug.

Pathetic that in 2013 firms do not give priority to the user experience and UX.

4/22/14

What they don't explicitly tell you...
If you are a non US based business selling in your own currency - they convert your profit to US dollars and back again on payment. This reduces your profit in addition to their % sales cut.

1/17/14

They didn't make it clear that they would delete my photos unless I purchased within 14 days. When I asked where all my photos were that I worked so hard to upload, I was told that they had been deleted. Not even NICE! Had I gone to the BBB Online first and seen the many complaints, I wouldn't have bothered at all with them. LIVE & LEARN.
By the way.. the person I was dealing with, Shay Nicholson , even had the nerve after telling me my photos were deleted... to say, HAVE A GREAT DAY. Like "... in your face." Nice.

11/11/13

I have been a SmugMug user for several years. I was very excited about the new look and migrated over. I was impressed by the new design layouts and asthetics.....until, I had a problem.
I would send customer support an email with 2-3 questions. The response time was usually 12+ hours. And when they respond, they would only address 1 question out of 2 or 3. I would need to send it again and wait another 12+ hours for another response. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFUL.
I "upgraded" for the ability to be able to sell my prints. Turns out that unless you upgrade to their business top tier option, you can only use one price list thru out your entire site.
Bottom line, I started looking at their competitor site and signed up for a trial. Customer service returned emails within minutes in most cases, maybe 15 minutes at most. (not 12 hours!)
The comp also had lower pricing and allows multiple Price Lists and options. (I can price every photo within a gallery at different prices if I wanted to)

I was really happy with the competition...so I started to get nervous about making the switch. Tons of photos to reload, create new galleries, keywords, etc...
GREAT NEWS - I learned that upload junctions migrates everything from SmugMug to the new site in one click!

I even went to the PDN Photo Expo and stopped by SmugMug's booth to tell them about my experience. The "superhero" that I spoke to showed real concern and wanted to discuss my experience further. She took my business card and info and said she would call me back.

Yep, still holding my breath for that call. Meanwhile, switched sites, moved my domain name to the new site and waiting for Smugmug membership to expire.

8/8/13

SmugMug just went to a new design, if you are thinking about using it, don't! The new SmugMug is full of bugs and getting any meaningful help is useless. The help techs don't seem to know the system, there is no continuity, you get a different tech each time and you have to re-explain the problems over and over. The techs don't answer you specific questions but just tell you to do either stuff you have already done or they blame it on you browser or computer or domain server etc. There is no phone number so you can't talk to anyone and they don't seem to have the ability to screen share to help you with your problems. I say problems because there are many of them with new ones popping up everyday. The new site looks slick but when you try to do something you have already done with no problems, like create a page, all of a sudden it won't work, or it works while you are logged in but when you go out to see your site like a common viewer, what you have created will not be there or will only partially be there. Some of you images will not render in your galleries and you have to go off site and back on and then maybe they will render. There are far too many problems with SmugMug!

8/4/13

Smugmug - a culture of sorcery.

I love SmugMug ... or did. I have been a Pro customer there for many years. The features of the site up until now have been excellent. (the jury is still out on the "new" format) I have been advertising for them since day 1. On photography sites, forums, and blogs, I have been encouraging people to try them out. I was spending a lot of time promoting their site - and expecting nothing in return.

I have been having an on-going issue with the so-called "sorcerers" at SmugMug. For those unfamiliar with SmugMug, they dress up like sorcerers, paint their faces like demonic junkies, and then send the photos to you whenever you submit a service ticket. For what purpose - I have no idea. I don't want to see their religious imagery, and it adds nothing to their service - in fact it demeans people of Godly faith.

When I asked nicely that they not send the inappropriate photos, they literally laugh, and flat out refuse. They say that it is their "culture" there. A culture of sorcery. Which is fine - they can do whatever they want in their own time - but they should not be forcing their chosen culture on their customers. Especially when it is demonic in nature. They should be respecting other people, and other cultures, not forcing theirs on people who don't worship evil.

I sent a letter to the management, begging them to stop sending the inappropriate photos, and even they didn't care. Their "culture" is also one of arrogance and apathy. They honestly don't care at all about who they offend. This must be a highly valued religion for them, to demand to force these photos on people.

For those who have had real life experiences with the occult and the principalities and powers of darkness - you would question the wisdom of creating a culture of the occult to operate a business from. But amazingly - that is what they have chosen to do. They have no respect for anyone with values contrary to their own. They don't care how many people are harmed by the occult, they just want to force it on everyone.

You can only imagine that the leadership is very immature and totally ignorant of the very occult that they embrace and promote. They claim to be focused on the customer, when in fact they ignore and mock them.

There are some very nice support people there who do respect us when they e-mail, but they are very rare. They were able to provide excellent service for years without this nonsense. Perhaps they are too big now to care about their customers.

So I will be leaving ... no matter what the new system looks like. For every person that complains about something - there are many more that will say nothing.

It is very unfortunate that people there just don't care about others. Selfishness is such a pitiful thing. They would otherwise be a fabulous site. As they were in the past. I don't want to fund their culture of hatred and disrespect for others.

7/30/13

First, I been with Smugmug for two years. Initially, I had trouble creating a design that I like, you just need to be a website designer to be able to do it. But they have plenty options already pre-made. However, after everything was set and go, I just do my job, upload my pictures, and they do the rest saving me money and time by not needing to contract an employee to manage, sell, accounting, for the pictures I sell. They have great professional printing with many options; I would like more options on professional art paper, but 90% of my business printing is done through them. Because their cost on printing, my personal printing is mostly done with other companies.

6/20/13

SmugMug's customer support is AWFUL. If there is a problem with their software, they would rather blame their customers and tell them they're "doing it wrong" than offer to have a SmugMug engineer troubleshoot an issue (which is not at all user error). To make matters worse, just try contacting customer support by phone. They do not have a phone number for their customers to call!! At all. It's email-only customer support. If you have an issue with a support rep, good luck getting a response from a supervisor. They do not believe in speaking with human beings by phone. As for their software, their "Download All" link is supposed to result in an email being sent to your email address with a link to a zip file of your photos. What has been happening, repeatedly, is that when clicking this link one time (and one time only), SmugMug begins to download all of your gallery photos. If you have hundreds of images in a given gallery, we're talking over 1 GB of images easily. When you have a client who wants to download their images, they need the link to the zip file. SmugMug is awful, unprofessional, and their customer support stinks. Give your money to another business that has more respect for its clientele.

4/6/13

I signed up for the "all features included" free trial. Not to test their storage features, but to actually sell something and see how smooth this goes.

My first visual impression wasn't really good. Everything looked somewhat amateurish and navigating through the page was way less intuitive than I know it from other similar websites. I would describe the look and feel of the page as outdated, but I guess one can get used to it.
After setting up a gallery and sharing the link with my buyer, she placed an order and everything went it's way: my buyer ordered and payed, As usual SmugMug subtracted the printing costs as well as their own processing fees from the amount she payed. So I went ahead and filled in my information so I can get my share. However, I never received a payment. No money, no note from SmugMug, nothing, just silence.

I contacted SmugMug support to notify them about the missing payment. Here is the answer I got:

"...Let me explain: your account is a trial account that has never been paid for. In order to get paid, you need to sign up and pay for your account so we can then send you your profit..."

I went back to the Terms of Use to read them again and see what I've missed before signing up, but couldn't find anything about that. I signed up for an "all featured included" trial during which I was able to sell and was able to fill in my payment information. I earned money during the trial, and now SmugMug is sitting on my money unwilling to give it to me unless I give them $20 or whatever such a pro account costs. However, during my trial I decided that I don't like it, so why should I sign up?

I strongly disagreed with them and started a longer email discussion during which they defended themselves by telling me that the information about the required pro account is given on their help page. While trying to explain to them that

- it is not okay to hide costs on a help page and not mention it in the Terms of Use,
- they should disable the sales features for trial members,
- they could at least implement a warning on their website, letting a user know when leaving the free trial area,
I kept getting arrogant lines like this:

"Please be sure to check out the complete Pro section of our Help section. It is loaded with easy to understand information."

How do you dare doing this while sitting on someone else's money?
After spending hours writing emails to SmugMug and defending my point, they told me that I would receive my money after waiting for it for 4 months.

My common sense tells me to stay away from anyone who acts like this, and I recommend you to do the same. It just leads to trouble sooner or later. This was a very insightful trial.

1/6/13

Smugmug is the best online sharing photo tool I ever used.

1/3/13

Smugmug is the best online sharing photo tool I ever used.
Beside the fact that it stores your photos in full size and that it offers really unlimited storage, it can be upgraded with tons of community tools (upload from right click, …).
It starts at 40$/year for non professional accounts, but even at that price it is really unlimited storage.
Living 6000km from my family, smugmug is a must have to share moments in pictures, also as a part time professional photographer smugmug has been very useful sharing and promoting my work.
You can even use this coupon on the smugmug coupon field in the sign up form to get 5$ off the price : 7Ppmk1PbRiBVQ (https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7Ppmk1PbRiBVQ )
Strengths:
- Full size pictures
- Really unlimited storage
- Great themes
- Easy to use
- Great interface, easy to customize per gallery :)
- Community creating addons (lightroom plugin, upload from right click, screensavers…)
Weaknesses:
- It is not a photo backup tool as you cannot bulk restore photos from galleries, you have to order DVDs from smugmug.

EXPERT
11/6/10

Flickr is free but smugmug is worth the price of admission. I am not a pro photographer but I like my photos printed out on quality paper and I want my family to have access to my photos and to be able to print them out as well. I want to control who can view my photos and I definitely don't want my photos tagged all over the internet. For these reasons I am willing to pay the yearly fee for smugmug. Worth it in my book.

Apprentice Reviewer
4/1/09

worth the money - As soon as my contract is up with Flickr I am moving to smugmug It simply has much more to offer than Flickr does

1/22/09

Fabulous website - It takes a bit to learn how to navigate once you have joined, but overall we have had the best experience with it.

Very nice.

1/20/09

absolutly wonderful - This site was just great it gives people a fredom of expression. let them publish their own photos. just wonderful.

1/1/09

Good idea,but it is not for me. - The price of SD cards and memory storage is coming down. I pay less for a 2GB SD card then I used to pay for a roll of film and it captures alot more pictures.

12/24/08

Smugmug - This is a great looking site. I like the presentation of the photos and the galleries are beautiful. It is a little pricey but is worth it.

12/14/08

buying and selling photos - The recently joined a friend of mine selling sport photos. He is using smugmug and i found that they are a little pricier than other online photo websites but have great turnaround time in photo deliver and photo downloads. I would recommend smugmug to anyone selling photos online.

tonkster

EXPERT
9/8/08

smugmug has been my choice for photo hosting - I started off using smugmug to mostly just share my casual photos with friends and family and they all found it very easy to view my photos. I had another professional site where I advertised my services as a photographer, but it was too much trouble to always upload my images so family could see the special events shots. I typically printed my own photos and sold them to clients as I wanted complete control of the entire process. But then a collague of mine told me he was using the smugmug professional services so I checked it out and here is what I thought...

1. The sample websites they show are very well done and it is exactly what many photographers need.
2. Setting up a custom site is not entirely easy and unless you are very web savvy you will need some help.
3. Print prices are fair, not cheap, but fair...quality is pretty good and they provide ICC profiles and calibration prints.
4. They do NOT offer prints on canvas which I think is a mistake if they offer professional printing services.
5. They do offer the ability to sell photos via downloads, which is great.
6. they offer both HD video 1280 x 720 and DVD quality videos on your website, which is perfect as that is often what catches new client's attention. Also great for consumers wanting to show off their photos in a professional slide show video.
7. Easy to upgrade from power user to pro
8. the standard account is NOT FREE....so for the average consumer I do wonder if this is a good deal when other similar services are free. It is advertising free, but I'm not sure the average person cares and would rather have it be free.
9. Complete privacy control over your photos.
10. Unlimited storage for all accounts

I think if you are semi pro or thinking of going pro, then smugmug is a great place to start. If you are purely casual photographer, then you might want to consider some of the free sites out there if you want to save that $40.

The Best Photo Sharing Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber