US Government's NSF

14 Reviews for SavingsAce

▼ Sort by: recent

johnw194
3/14/14

I got taken in by this as well. A class action lawsuit was just filed over this issue, and I'm thinking about joining it -

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Vertrue, MasterCard, MyLife.com, Oak Investment, and Others Regarding Allegedly Fraudulent “Membership" Fees for Bogus "Savings Clubs"

Lawsuit claims that Defendants profit from charging consumers fraudulent fees for savings club “memberships”

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) March 13, 2014

Atlanta law firm Webb, Klase & Lemond, LLC has filed a class action lawsuit against Vertrue, Inc., Adaptive Marketing, LLC, Velo Holdings, MasterCard International, Inc., MyLife.com, Inc., and Oak Investment Partners. The suit states that Vertrue partners with MyLife.com and other deceptive online businesses to trick consumers into unknowingly joining Vertrue’s “consumer savings clubs.”

According to the lawsuit, most club “members” never make use of their savings club “memberships” and cancel their subscriptions immediately upon learning of the fraudulent charges. According to the lawsuit, MasterCard earns fees by processing Vertrue’s charges while knowing they are fraudulent and processing such plainly illegitimate charges violates MasterCard’s agreements.

The lawsuit further states that Vertrue’s parent company, Velo Holdings, and MyLife.com’s investor-owner Oak Investment Partners, which invested $25 million in MyLife in 2007, also participate in Vertrue’s improper practices. The case, Chi v. Vertrue, Inc., et al., was filed in the United States District Court of the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, on February 28, 2014 and has been given case number 1:14-cv-00614-TWT.

The lawsuit proposes a class action on behalf of all consumers nationally who have been harmed by these practices.

The new complaint alleges that Vertrue’s “savings clubs,” administered by its subsidiaries such as Adaptive Marketing, LLC, include At Home Rewards, At Home Rewards+, BusinessMax, Cross Country Savings, DealMax, Home Savings Mall, Food and Flix, Getaway and Save, Leisure Exclusives, My Great Deals, Passport to Fun, Passport to Fun+, SavingsAce, SavingSmart, Shopping Essentials, Shopping Essentials+, Simply You, Today’s Escapes, Today’s Escapes+, ValueMax, and Your Savings Club.

The lawsuit states that when consumers purchase goods and services from MyLife.com and Vertrue’s other online partners they encounter confusing, obscured ads for Vertrue’s “savings clubs.” Consumers click through these ads without realizing that they have accidentally “joined” one of Vertrue’s clubs, according to the lawsuit. The lawsuit also states that consumers who accidentally join Vertrue’s clubs are charged recurring monthly fees of $20 or more until they affirmatively cancel their “memberships.” Vertrue’s entire business model is based around this deceptive practice, and Vertrue’s co-conspirators, including MasterCard, knowingly facilitate and profit from Vertrue’s fraudulent activities. The lawsuit states that MasterCard approves such unauthorized charges, and profits from them, even though this violates MasterCard’s own rules regarding protection of private customer credit card data.

The suit asserts that the other Defendants are vital to the improper billing scheme. First, Vertrue transmits a consumer’s credit card data to the related credit card network, which the complaint alleges was MasterCard. MasterCard verifies the consumer’s identity and, the lawsuit states, analyzes the transaction to determine whether it is fraudulent. MasterCard transmits the relevant data to the cardholder’s issuing bank which, if it authorizes the charge, sends a verification message to MasterCard, which then informs the issuing bank that the charge has been authorized, according to the suit. The suit claims that the issuing bank then informs Vertrue of the authorization, at which point the purchase is completed and the issuing bank and MasterCard subsequently “clear” and “settle” all of Vertrue’s charges for that day, at which point the illicitly obtained funds are sent to Vertrue. The suit contends that all the Defendants are well aware of the illegal scheme, but they nonetheless participate in order to obtain substantial transaction fees.

Vertrue is a subsidiary of Velo Holdings, an investment group also named as a Defendant in the lawsuit, that acquired Vertrue in 2007. According to the lawsuit, Velo and Oak Investment, MyLife.com’s senior investor-owner, were fully aware that Vertrue’s business model relied on consumer fraud when they acquired their positions in these online companies. The suit asserts that these investors nevertheless controlled, participated in, and profited from Vertrue and MyLife for years while doing nothing to curb the companies’ highly illegal business practices.

If you have unknowingly joined one of Vertrue’s savings clubs and wish to discuss this action, or if you have any questions concerning this press release, please contact Webb, Klase & Lemond by e-mail at contact@WebbLLC.com or by calling (770) 444-9325. Webb, Klase & Lemond, LLC is a law firm that practices complex litigation with a focus on litigation arising from wrongful deprivations by corporate and government entities.

justicei
2/19/14

Savings Ace took my money from my account for over 4 years. When I finally noticed I took this action and got my money back. I am here to let you know what to do. I googled Better Business Bureau and Nebraska Attorney General, filed a complaint with both of these. They both took action and I got my ALL my money back within 10 days. The BBB informed me that the real name to this company is Vertrue Inc.
So this is the company information to file the complaint.
Vertrue Inc.
9500 West Dodge Road Suite 100
Omaha NE 68114-3331
phone # 1-888-593-5216
Good luck to you!

shirleys4
7/5/13

I bought an airline ticket through Travelocity(never again)and got sucked into click here to get 20.00 back. What a scam! I called immediately was given a
"cancellation number" and 19.95 was on my bank statement this month. Try to talk to
someone at savingsace.com. Lots of luck. I will try again tomorrow and the next day and the next.

suzannew2
7/5/13

HOW DO I JUST GET TO THE DAMNED WEBSITE TO CANCEL THE ACCOUNT THEY SET UP

arlenea
6/13/11

this site somehow got my debit card number and started debiting small almounts, like
$11.95. When my hubby got the bank statement he blew his lid at me...!!!! which made me research this fraudulent company. Do NOT get suckered in, if they bill you go into your bank with your statement and the many complaints of fraud against them. The Bank will back out their money and hopefully get someone to get this THIEVES,. Do not be passive they are robbing you and probably cruising on a large boat from port to port to pick up money. Lets put them all in Jail...

jacquelinep1
5/4/11

I bought a ticket online from Travelocity and there was a link that said click here for you 20.00 cash back reward for buying your ticket today. I clicked on the link and entered my information. I then get an email thanking me for signing for my temporary membership. I mmediately got on the phone and called the company and cancelled this service that was going to bill me 20.00 a month! This is fraud and I feel bad for the people they are taking money from who are not aware.

The link did not idnetify the company until you entered all of your information either.

vettegalm
3/15/11

SavingsAce charged my Visa 19.95 this month. I didn't catch that they had charged my account last month too . I called today - they said my husband signed up for the savings service when he ordered Christmas gifts back in Dec. from Metro Style apparel. My husband said there was nothing extra he signed or checked. I cancelled today but they tell me it's a valid charge. Now I will call Visa to dispute these charges. I will raise hell until I get my money back.
Almost 40 bucks gone and I

philg1
2/16/11

Complete fraud, stealing credit card information and charging monthly fees. Stay away from those thieves

hectorp
2/15/11

BE REALLY CAREFUL THEY GOT ME FOR 19.95 I DID NOT SING FOR ANY MEMBERSHIP ALL I DID WAS BUY SOME TICKETS ON EXPEDIA AND SOMEHOW THEY GOT MY INFORMATION. I CALL THOSE PEOPLE AND TOLD THEM THAT THEY WERE A FRAUD AND I WILL LIKE TO HAVE MY MONEY BACK, I ALSO CALL MY BANK AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON.

THIS PEOPLE NEED TO BE PUT IN JAIL FOR STEALING.

williamr1
12/2/09

Savingsace, which somehow received my email and credit card info charged $19.95 for a service a did not authorize. MyLife.com, a partner with Classmates.com is selling email addresses and personal info to sites where the charges are fraudulent.

fayee
11/21/09

Just got a letter "confirming" my membership benefits and a charge for $24.95...I NEVER authorized such a charge. In fact I've never heard of this company. This is a total fraud. I just saw a tv program warning about these types of outfits....

nataliyay
11/16/09

SavingsAce.com is awesome - you get up to 30% cash back from over 500 online retailers. No rebates, no coupons - no BS. Yes, there is a membership fee of $29.99/month but it is well worth it. You get your cash back on top of all other savings - you can combine offers. No other shopping sites offer that. Recently I redeemed $30 off your order coupon I received in the mail on my online order and OldNavy.com was elevated to 30% cash back that day - my savings were unbelievable. The portfolio of SavingsAce merchants is very broad - OldNavy, Macys, Nordstrom, SmartBargians, ChildrensPlace to name a few. The program itself is totally awesome - and I love watching how brands get "elevated" up to 30% cash back. The site gives you heads up on what's coming next and you can plan your shopping accordingly.

chriso1
EXPERT
10/24/09

These people must have an online popularity rating of zero, judging from the number of complaints about them charging fees that were never agreed. Take a look at the page at complaintsboard.com:

While you have to take anybody's complaints with a degree of caution - sadly not everyone suddenly becomes fair and honest when they get online - there are enough criticisms here, and for the same reasons, to suggest that unless you have an overwhelming need to join this scheme you should stay well away.

The good news is that it seems people who complain loudly enough do get their money back eventually, though not without a struggle. But given how many people lose out completely in internet dealings, getting anything back, let alone all of it, is a bonus.

woodyw
10/24/09

fraud fraud fraud!!!!!! i bought something from amazon.com and was unknowingly charged for a membership in savingsace.com that I did not authorize!!!!! I am now contacting my bank and try to get the FBI or any other government organization to stop this kind of internet fruad!!!!

Best Online Discount Shopping Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber