US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kellyw14

And the customer service is great, you're just too dumb to even listen to what the reps are telling you. (in 191 reviews)

ashleighe1

No idea why people don't read before they pull out their credit card. (in 124 reviews)

charliem38

The site clearly tells you(multiple times) that after 14 days it will automatically renew. (in 60 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

christys23
4/27/16

I needed a quick resume/ cover letter for a summer teaching job. Found this site, read the details, and paid $1.95 to download what I needed. Went back the next day, cancelled, and 2 weeks later got hit with $39.80 + $1.19 fee. I called customer service. First they couldn't even locate the account with my name or email, but they sure found it with the last 4 of my card. I was told the subscription would be cancelled and a request for refund entered. Here is the email I received from their customer service department:

Thank you for contacting LiveCareer Customer Care.

We have received your request for a refund, but unfortunately we're unable to issue
refunds for transaction: 12905036 on April 22, 2016 for $39.80. We are unable to
process this refund due to the following reason: Requested refund after billing date.

We're sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Seriously!! I'm not going to be "understanding" about this and I sent a response saying so. I followed the rules, I cancelled, and they still charged my card. If I receive another email telling me that they will not refund the money, I'm (a) going to the BBB and lodging a complaint, (b) contacting my bank and filing a fraudulent charge case, and (c) contacting the Attorney General and filing a complaint with them as well.

The response to my less than congenial reply:

Thank you for contacting LiveCareer US Customer Care.

We are more than willing to assist you. Allow me to submit an escalation to the
corresponding department, where your request will be reviewed and a response will
be provided within the next 2 business days.

If you have any questions or concerns, simply reply to this email or give us a call at
800-652-8430.

Monday - Friday 8 AM to 8 PM CST
Saturday 8 AM to 5 PM CST
Sunday 10 AM to 6PM CST

LiveCareer US Customer Care

On Wed, 27 Apr at 1:53 PM , wrote:
BBB, trigger word. cx requested for a refund. adv request needs to be submitted to
Refunds Line Division for the Refunds Line Division to approve or not refund.

Pay attention to the line above. I don't know if that was intended to be seen or not, but it was attached to the bottom of the email.

The product was decent, but their way of doing business is very underhanded and shady. Fortunately, I'm on top of my bank account and caught this before multiple charges occurred. Unfortunately, I was not aware that $40.99 was going to be drafted and just before payday. This cost me 2 overdraft fees at a rate of $32.50 apiece. Find your resume elsewhere because they are not worth it.

tinae15
4/27/16

Absolutely a scam.

I work in the web industry. I read the terms and conditions of LiveCareer and totally understand the principle of recurring charges for a subscription. LiveCareer states that you can only delete your account once your subscription expires. Sure. So I set up a reminder on my calendar to log in to delete my account once my subscription expires on April 26, 2016.

April 26 rolls around and I log in. No option to cancel or delete anything. Weird, because right there on the page it says my subscription is set to expire April 26. I log out and try again the next morning, this morning, April 27. Now, the subscription pages says that my subscription expires April 27. Seems that they are dynamically changing the date so that your subscription never actually expires and you won't ever be able to delete you account.

After a hugely frustrating live chat where the agent asked me several questions about my account and billing information that they should have been able to see if they were in my account, I was promised a refund of $9 for the past three months that I was charged (Jan. - March, 2016). I was also told my subscription expired in Oct. of 2015. He couldn't explain why I was continuously charged for the 5 months since; or why I have never been able to delete my account or cancel my subscription. Once I was finally assured that my account and subscription was deleted I asked if I was going to be charged again. The only thing the agent could tell me was "not likely."

I also spoke with another agent on the phone shortly after my live chat, who assured me again that my card will not be charged again. We'll see.

LiveCareer's business practices are unscrupulous. Their account and subscription settings on their website are illogical and illegal. Their customer service is mostly useless. They are making their money off of illegal, sneaky withdrawals from the bank accounts of vulnerable people who are searching for work.

I don't want the refund and I don't expect to ever see it. I want this business to be shut down.

Tip for consumers: Don't be tempted to sign up for LiveCareer. You're in for a world of frustration and lost money. You're better off Google searching for resume templates and examples, believe me.

reauxb
4/26/16

The person that actually wrote my resume was great, she did a fantastic job. I later realized that liveCareer had been deducting money out of my account for 3 months. When I called they were more than happy to cancel my contract, Oh! this must be the one that I never agreed to, but the real frustration comes when trying to get the money credited back to my account. The person you are speaking to can not transfer you to anyone, not the billing, not a supervisor, no one, but what they can do is send a request to the billing dept. and billing will respond to you with an email that you never receive. I will now go to my financial institution to deal with the financial concerns and then the BBB to deal with the poor business practice.

nickb86
4/26/16

I was on the fence whether to go with this service as there was an equal amount of 5 stars reviews as there were 1 star reviews. I was desperate so I paid for a CV and Cover letter. After two weeks of silence I sent them an email and got a response saying that my CV had been assigned to 'a top CV writer' (yeah right) and they will be in contact shortly. It has now been a month since they took my payment and I am yet to get anything for it.

I am desperate for a job and I naivley thought that Cvnow would help me but I alas it is a sham. I have spent this time working on my CV, passing it around firends and family and got some great tips and it hopefuly won't be too long before I can find employment.

Be warned: PURCHASES ARE NON REFUNDABLE. As frustrating as it is that I have been robbed there is nothing that I can do about it.

francp
4/25/16

Despicable, Dishonest, unlawful business practice BIG FRAUD!!!

kathleenc43
4/22/16

I google searched free resume builder and Resume-Now.com came up. Spent much time creating resume before finding that yes you can make it for free but not print it without paying for it so I paid the $1.95 why not. I also read the fine print which stated I would get charged the $39+ fee after 14 days. So I set a reminder on my phone for 12 days to cancel subscription which I did online and was told my subscription was cancelled. A week later I see a charge to my bank for the $39+ which also caused me to get an overdraft fee of $35 as I was not expecting a charge and was short the funds in my account. I then called customer service and was told they could not find a record of my online cancellation (sounds like a pattern after what I am seeing here) but as a courtesy they will refund my money and I should get an email confirming this. WELL I got the email telling me they are NOT refunding my money because the request was made after the trial membership ended. This is a dirty business practice and I will be registering a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I am sure there are much more reputable companies that provide this service. For what I paid ($75) I could have just paid someone to make it for me without using my paper,ink, and time! Don't bother with this one!
UPDATE: I filed a complaint with the BBB. Turns out this company has 684 complaints the majority of which are the same problem I experienced with this company. Seems this is how this company operates!
UPDATE: After being contacted by Anna and taking no responsibility for their error I was refunded the 39.80 fee but not the 35.00 overdraft fee that I incurred as a result. Their stance is that they were issuing this refund as a courtesy, and that I did not cancel during the trial period. As I stated I did cancel through my settings on their website and was taken to a confirmation screen but never sent a confirmation email and they had no record of my cancellation when I called to dispute the validity of the charge. This is a recurring problem from everything I have read about this company. Had I not been charged the monthly fee after the 1.95 trial period I would have been satisfied with the service provided by Resume-Now. But knowing what I do now and being out 36.95 for ONE resume I still can't say I would recommend them. The product provided was as expected. The problem is with what I would call shady billing practices, and if it's not intentional that it is ridiculously incompetent. Either way I can't in good faith recommend using this company.

ceciliab12
4/22/16

This site was helpful for making my resume. However, the initial small charges for things like downloading your resume should have tipped me off to how dirty this company is with charging people. Yes, before I paid I was warned that my subscription would renew for $39.80 after two weeks, and I received an email after payment saying the same, but I never got an email before I was charged again. How tricky is that?? I have purchased many subscriptions online, whether through Amazon or beauty subscriptions, The Honest Company, and others, and they ALWAYS sent an email before charging my card.

I will never use this site again. Avoid unless you plan on deleting your subscription immediately after printing your resume out.

heatherr49
4/21/16

In a new state and situation I could not get my resume to print. As a last shot I pulled up the sight I used to make the document and could not sign in. I saw the chat option and presented my problem. Benjamin responded to my situation and within seconds I had my resume sent to me in the format I needed. this sight is a blessing for those who have used it for making their resume. Thank you Benjamin and livecareer!! Also setting up my resume was user friendly.

janl42
4/20/16

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM. THEY ONLY ADVISE YOU OF THE 14 DAY TRIAL THEN CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT $39 AND THEN THEY CHARGED ME ANOTHER FEE WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I TRIED CHATTING WITH A REP AND THEY WERE OF NO HELP AND RUDE. PROBABLY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Tip for consumers: DON'T USE IT, ITS NOT EVEN WORTH IT.

elizabethc141
4/19/16

I have used LiveCareer in the past on a trial basis and didn't renew because of cost. I have read many reviews that generally cry out against the renew policy and general 'money taken' without permission issues. I think the company should send an email at least a day or two in advance of the automatic renewal and perhaps OFFER customers upgrades rather than relying on the forgetful nature we humans have of canceling subscriptions to garnish profits. Yes, I know this is how the monies are made, however for the integrity of the company and all it stands for, there has to be a better way to retain customers and creating a win-win situation. Thank goodness I was able to chat with Alejandra and assisted otherwise mine would have been another bitter review for LiveCareer.

carlenan
4/19/16

I used the service and it was great! I was able to whip up a resume in a very short period of time. I decided to cancel the service and customer service (Benjamin) was great. He offered to review my resume and offered an enhanced package. Overall I was very happy with LiveCareer.

eustacior
4/18/16

My son went on to this site to build his resume but found out later that if you don't cancel the subscription after 14 days they will charge you $39.80 a month. They will not refund your money if it's a mistake and they are not very helpful. Stay away from it. There are much less riskier ways to write your resume.

darylb16
4/14/16

Benjamin, a representative of your organization made me see the productive levels of your service and I appreciate the personal review of my account and assist with ensuring another satisfied client is on board.

rhondas38
4/13/16

Excellent customer service

nicoler62
4/12/16

I spent 3 hours working on resumes, and when it was time to print i had to pay! i didnt have my card and was so scared i was going to loose my work and i needed it RIGHT THEN! but George helped me print my resume and everything worked out! THANK YOU!!!!!

tereaseg
4/11/16

I used Resume Now for creating my resume and it was easy to use with all the tools to make it professional. Hired one week after using the service.

danettem1
4/11/16

Emailed to cancel. Got a reply stating my email was not registered but kept billing my card.
Email again, got a delayed relay message.
Again card billed.
Finally for the 3rd try, decided to call before I got billed again.
No refund offered altough I've been trying to cancel and your failed to.

bambil2
4/10/16

I like many, spent quite a bit of time working on a document only to find that I had to give them my credit card to download the document. Fair is fair, so I did. I also went back into my settings and cancelled my subscription, which was ignored and continues to be ignored. I will contact my credit card company for assistance since I have fraud protection. I may not be able to recoup what they have already stolen, but I will be able to stop further charges and have them investigated. I would give them zero stars if the site would allow.

erinh39
4/10/16

I am so livid with these scammers! Save yourself the money and head ache and don't sign up for they're ongoing resume service that's not even a professional format. When you try to discontinue they play dumb. When you dispute they're withdrawals they simply change something around from their point and pull it in a slightly different way. So far I've disputed 7 or 8 withdrawals. My bank said I'm going to have to close down my card when I get home from vacation and open a new one.

papak
4/8/16

Theses are vampires and will suck you dry to your last penny
DO NOT USE this company they will never see your cancellation until they started charging your A....
SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS
Call the FCC or local Authorities to let them know

dianar39
4/8/16

I contacted Alejandra Merlano via the Live Chat option. She was very helpful in answering my questions. She resolved my issue and even gave me an offer I was looking forward to. This is a simple way of connecting with a customer service rep.

ciarap1
4/7/16

They are thieves! I signed up for a 14 day trial to build a resume that I ended up not even using because the format was not professionally correct. I just checked my bank account and seen that I have been getting charged 39.80 per month! This is absolute robbery! Sent them a message twice and have gotten nothing back. Legal action will be taken.

davidl280
4/7/16

I joined for what i thought was $1.99, printed four resumes, and, later, found a charge for $39.80 on my credit card!!!! There is a two week trial period, then an automatic monthly charge as membership!!! I called to cancel and the customer service rep was extremely rude, not to mention, not a single penny was refunded! $39.80 for 4 resumes! Total scam

reneei
4/7/16

I am a 49 year old recently unemployed no computer skills female. I am headed for a job fair and had absolutely no idea how to do a resume. I was able to easily create a great resume in no time. This site makes it super easy.
When it was time to print the resume the non computer skill monster reared its ugly head again, I took a leap of faith and entered the world of "Live Chat" where George walked me thru the entire process and saved the day! What an angel...thank you thank you thank you...

kelseyr6
4/6/16

YOU TOOK THE LAST OF MY MONEY I HAD FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH!!! I paid for one time use ... Stop stealing money

kimberlyc49
4/6/16

I paid 200.00 for a resume I could have done for free, I had to tell them to perk it up some and tell them what to put in it. They still have not responded back with the updates. Not some place I would send anyone at this time. They need a lot of work.

kymmd1
4/6/16

I needed to cancel my subscription because I couldn't afford it any longer. George made it SO affordable, I couldn't pass up his offer. Thanks George.

biancam9
4/6/16

Used their services once and I would never ever used it again. At the beginning I did not know that you had to pay to download a CV created on their website. I spent quite a lot of time doing my CV and at the end, when I tried to download my CV , they asked me to pay around 3 pounds. I had no choice but to pay because I have already spent a lot of time creating the CV. I filled in my bank account details, the money were taken from my account. After that, I have literally never logged in or accessed their website the following two weeks. After two weeks I realized they took 23 pounds from my bank account for a "subscription" I had no idea about ! It must have been somewhere in the small print so everybody can get fooled ! I was not angry at the beginning or anything as I knew I was going to get in touch with them, explain that I did not used their services and that I was not aware I was subscribing to anything. Guess what ? I got in touch with them three times and they refused to refund my money every single time for the following foolish reason : " Requested refund after trial period" . I repeat, "a trial period " in which their records were showing that I did not even log in into my accounts or access their website !! I would recommend their services to no one ! Never use their services !!!!!

jh380
4/3/16

I was aware of the 14 day trial period. I requested via their customer service form that my account be canceled within the trial period. However, after being charged for a renewal I was told there was no record of my request. I find that very convenient for them. Also the form promises a quick reply. The only quick reply I received was from the billing department telling me they could not correct the billing. Please, please read the reviews before using.

matthewr48
4/3/16

Like everyone else I signed up for the Trial, downloaded my resume, then never used it again. I contacted them as soon as I discovered the charge, which was in PENDING status. I called to cancel and refund since it hadn't been used since day 1 of the trial and it was denied outright. I had to go through no less than 8 pages trying to trick you into staying. It said things such as your resume will be deleted permanently and your account will be terminated and other scare tactics to make you stay.
I escalated the claim to my bank with a charge back and they had the audacity to claim that I never cancelled my service (They said service was ongoing) and that I had never contacted them which resulted in them winning. I have a screenshot of the cancellation and audio recordings of your deceptive reps.
I can't believe I have to waste so much time to get my money back, I also filed a claim with the BBB.
Next time you talk to a rep on the phone, mention how you know that you're not the first person to have this problem with their company and they go dead silent. They know it's wrong, they also have the billing dept. separate from the call center we can't argue our case with them.
Everytime they tell you "We'll get back to you" The claim gets denied and then they will deny ever speaking to you.
Also, their site says one month of full access is $34.95. If that is the case, why was I and other people billed for $39.80?
Lying, deceitful company. Avoid like the Plague.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother, there are better sites out there that are actually free.

cathyd23
4/3/16

I signed up for the trial and then started getting charged $39.80 a month. Now I'm being charged by Resumenow and LiveCareer which are the same. This last month I was charged 3 times for $39.80. The product is good but not for $120 a month. It took me a couple of months to figure out what was going on because the names were not the same. I am now trying customer service and that doesn't sound very encouraging. Stay away. There have to be more reputable sites out there.

alejandral3
4/2/16

Its the first time I've tried to cancel something (beside the usual and expected sales pitch to try to save) and they haven't given me the round about. Super professional and easy to chat online with a representative. I loved the service when i needed it and will be coming if i choose to again because of how easy it is to do business with them.

meaganp2
4/2/16

I made a trial account MONTHS ago. Used it once and never used the site again OR signed up to continue usage. I don't even know if they've been charging me since before 2016 but for the past THREE MONTHS, they have taken 3 $40+ payment from my account totaling over 120 dollars UNBEKNOWNST TO ME,,, for their site that I ha e literally used ONE SINGLE TIME !! They are scammers and thieves !! I AM LIVID !!!! They will NOT continue to get away with stealing from people !!!

hannahu
4/1/16

Diego, was very knowledgeable on my concern. Very helpful!

brittanyl18
4/1/16

You guys charged me 38 dollars twice ! I am getting the news involved. You can't do that to people .

theresaa17
3/31/16

NOTHING BUT FRAUD. I MADE ONE RESUME PAID THE 1.95 TO HAVE ACCESS TO IT FIR 14 DAYS. AFTER I PAID I COULD NO LONGER ACCESS IT OR MAKE CHANGES. THEN IN SMALL PRINT THEY SIGN YOU UP FOR A MEMBERSHIP AND START RIPPING YOU OFF FOR VARIOUS CHARGES OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT. WHEN YOU CALL TO CANCEL THEY SOUND HELPFUL ON THE PHONE AND WILL REFUND YOU MONEY, BUT THEN SEND YOU EMAILS SAYING YOUR REFUNDS HAVE BEEN REJECTED. THEY ARE SUCH A SCAM THEY CAN'T TELL YOU IN PERSON. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, THEY ARE A SCAM! !!

xinyig
3/31/16

I paid 1.95 for one-time service, and without permission This company charged me $40!!!! And the whole time I didn't get any email or notification. The craziest part is there is not even price showed when you register at the first time!!! I will report this fraud to the local news and social media!

colinb40
3/31/16

I paid a few pounds for a one of service...so I thought but this company seems to think that it can continue to take £23.80 from my account every month and when it likes! AVOID AT ALL COSTS....24 chat line not available, cannot log back in! Time to involve trading standards

Tip for consumers: AVOID, DO NOT PASS ANY CARD DETAILS AS IT AN OPEN CHEQUE BOOK!

danielad9
3/31/16

This company has been stealing my money without letting me know. The customer service guy seems like he had already heard this kinds of complain thousands of times and did not help at all. I just want a full refund otherwise I will start a class action against this company.

sydneyc15
3/28/16

I am a single mother of two children trying to graduate nursing school. I used the $1 resume.. Which it did not tell me it cost money until I completely finished it. I paid the $1 fee.
Not even two weeks later (14 day trial) my account is charged $40. I try to log into Live Career website and my account shows no membership or resume that I had created. I see I am not the only person who has been scammed. I want my $40 back. Worst part is I paid for My Perfect Interview through my college tuition already and it should have been free from the get go.
Please fix this problem and make it clear for future users. As clearly by your reviews you guys are not putting the prices out there! I will be calling, emailing, and hoping to hear from you soon. If not resolved the local news will be hearing about it.

michellep82
3/26/16

I agree with many other reviewers. The site states that you will be billed $1.95 for a 14 day trial. However, upon signing up I was charged $39.80 immediately. Although the site does say the charges will recur at $9.95 weekly every four weeks they immediately charge the $39.80 and do not refund charges. If you can cancel at any time, the first charge should be refundable and only the initial $1.95 should be charged. This is a scam and not as advertised. No one should be charged $39.80 until AFTER four weeks have passed. I know that I was charged $39.80 before my initial 14 days even expired, never received and never received an email confirming my subscription or the original $39.80. I agree, this is definitely fraudulent billing.

mo6583
3/24/16

When you do a resume on their site you may think your making a one time purchase but you are not. You will be charged a $50 on your credit card at the end of each month until you realize you have to go back to the site account and cancel your subscription. In my case they ripped off a paraplegic gentleman who lost his job. They also go under the name of My perfect resume.

micheles43
3/23/16

They charged me forty dollars without even telling me and refused to refund me.

lawrencem35
3/23/16

Terrible useless and fraudulent service, STAY AWAY FROM THIS WEBSITE.

chrisj110
3/22/16

I have bought the 14 days membership, and there is no message explicitly telling me they will automatically charge 40 dollars a month without any message sent to my email address. I have been charged 160 dollars over these 4 months, and I just discovered it on my bill. THIS IS COMPLETELY FRAUDULENT. The customer service guy seems like he had already heard this kinds of complain thousands of times and did not help at all.
DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE.

shazaa
3/21/16

they charged my credit card for 40 dollars without my permission. Its unaccpted, never use this site

zoec22
3/18/16

I signed up for a 14 day trial for $1.95 and have now been charged over $110!!! This is complete fraud as I never signed up for a subscription and was never warned before I was charged! DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!! They also make it almost impossible to cancel your subscription once you do realise that you have been fraudulently charged for months!!!!! FRAUD!!!!!

michelj9
3/18/16

I used LiveCareer three months ago to build a resume for work. Little did I know that after resuming my account I would "activate" a monthly subscription of 34,95$ CAD... The only indication being on the subscription E-mail that they send to confirm your purchase. You know, the e-mail you get to authenticate the transaction on a service that you chose (in that case a 14 days trial)? Have you ever had a service that wrongfully gets you to subscribe to it without ever giving you any indication of the renewment except in your bank account listing at the end of the month?

In that case, you can subscribe to this horrible and dishonest service.

krissaa
3/17/16

Was volunteering in Colombia for 4 months; working with students to learn English and creating a sustainable recycling program. With the little money i had in my account, I trusted this program in create a resume for me. They ended up charging me 54.69 as soon as I had some money deposited into my account. I don't know how much money you expect me to have while I'm volunteering in 3rd world countries but I assure you, I have nothing. Thank you, I don't need food this month.

laidongw
3/16/16

I just signed up an account and used it during the trial period then forgot it. Then I found it automatically charged me $40 without noticing me anything. I contacted the customer services but they refused to refund me because "Requested refund after billing date". WTF! How can I know I was charged before the billing date? I feel it's a fraudulent company just profiting from careless users like me!

39 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the LiveCareer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
2 weeks ago
Answer
dougj2
A: Hello Anthony B. We are sorry that you had this experience while using our service. We are very committed in providing great customer service. Please contact us at our toll-free number 888-816-0576 so we can assist you in a direct and secure manner. Looking forward to assist you in reaching a timely resolution.

Best Regards,
LiveCareer.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
3 weeks ago
Answer
dougj2
A: Hello Sandra G. We do offer several ways to cancel without any further charges. You can contact us via phone at our toll-free number 888-816-0576. Also, you can contact us via email at customerservice@livecareer.com. We offer other methods of cancellation as well such as LiveChat and also self-cancellation within your account settings.
3 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the LiveCareer staff and other customers.

3 Photos for LiveCareer